Originally published June 1, 2009 at 12:59p.m., updated June 1, 2009 at 03:41p.m.

KU football to play UTEP, Duke on national TV

Three months and counting until the start of the 2009 Kansas football season.

Two of the Kansas University football team's first three games of the 2009 season will be nationally televised, it was announced Monday.

The Jayhawks' Sept. 12 game against UTEP, which will kickoff at 6:30 p.m. in El Paso, Texas, will be televised on CBS College Sports (Sunflower Broadband channel 143), while their 11 a.m. game against Duke on Sept. 19 will air on the VERSUS network (Sunflower Broadband channels 38, 238 HD).

The KU football season opens on September 5, when KU hosts Northern Colorado.

Other televised Big 12 games will be announced at later dates.

Comments

Spencer Goff 10 years, 10 months ago

killabees 10 years, 10 months ago

Finally the KU-Duke matchup everyone's been waiting to see. Oh wait, it's football. Still, go KU!

ajs10 10 years, 10 months ago

How do you look over the sunset from the homeside when it sets behind you? But yeah, these morning games suck...I don't like waking up at six so I can get a few hours of tailgating in before kickoff.

kansaspike 10 years, 10 months ago

Other sport......

Nice write up on Lance S. today on Yahoo!

I have a hard time believing G. Williams would take a pass on him......

Spencer Goff 10 years, 10 months ago

The sunset blankets the campus. I am not looking at the sunset.

Spencer Goff 10 years, 10 months ago

I should take a picture actually, I wonder if you can get up there when games are not going with a camera. The colors coming off the campus when the grounds are still green, dude its postcard material.

eastTXjayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

I don't even get this friggin' channel on dish network...it's so popular it's on the america's top 250 +1 package...

Kyle Crenshaw 10 years, 10 months ago

national tv my butt!!! i dont get that channel!

jhokfan 10 years, 10 months ago

Let the carnage begin. It will be fun watching the pukies get pummelled.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Ah, yes. The 11 AM game which actually means a 9 AM game for those of us on the West Coast!

I do have one defense of the televised broadcast though Krohnutz, it means it's another game I can actually see out here (and those of you who can't, get Direct TV). I know that's no consolation for you, but it's great for us out-of-towners to actually get to see more games. Even if 9 AM is a crappy time to watch football........

Rivethead 10 years, 10 months ago

Why is it only KU fans bitch about football start times?

You don't hear that whine is Slow Eleven (aka Big Ten).

You don't hear that whine in the SEC. Hell other than CU I doubt you'll even hear that whine here in the Big XII.

Early football games = more time at the bars afterwards to celebrate. Late football games = more time to tailgate.

Win. Win.

jayhawk2062 10 years, 10 months ago

Who goes to a football game for a sunset??

I like to go to......oh, I don't know.......watch the game......

jhokfan 10 years, 10 months ago

Duke versus any team in the country is not a game the networks are fighting over. It’s probably on Versus because no one else wants it.

Be grateful.

Don Everett 10 years, 10 months ago

Quit your crying Krohnutz.

You probably bitch that your milk is white.

It wasn't but a couple of years ago, that KU was NEVER on National TV. I live a 1000 miles away, so I don't care if it starts at 3 AM. I'm just glad they are on TV.

And if someone doesn't receive a certain channel, then do something about it. Just like I had to add the Best of XM so I can hear the games that aren't on TV.

You should have your tickets taken from you, you ungrateful moron.

rolo2383 10 years, 10 months ago

I go to games to watch football and look at hot girls.

I don't mind the morning games. Everyone in the nation plays morning games. Who cares. Rivet made a great point on how to celebrate the game whether it's in the morning or at night.

whitechocolate 10 years, 10 months ago

I don't see what's the big deal. This just means you can start drinking earlier.

irish2255 10 years, 10 months ago

The good thing about early games is screwdrivers and bloody mary's for everyone and my wife can't bitch about me drinking at 7 am.

MitchumMan 10 years, 10 months ago

The thing I love about early games...

Breakfast burritos and a cold Woodchuck while tossing around a pigskin. There's no other way to start your day.

I love KU football!

jayhawkintx73 10 years, 10 months ago

I prefer to watch football under the lights myself. But it still doesn't matter. suscribe to the package for the one Month that KU is on Versus. Its $10 a month, than remove it after that month. You shouldn't be required to sign a contract. The guy that said something about the time of the game being at 9am West Coast time has a point. But if you're in Lawrence, pitch a tent on the hill. Start tailgating at 9pm Friday! Don't see why they wouldn't let you camp out for a football game. For the Duke game, here is my prediction. Kansas 63 Duke 2, and thats only because we'll let them get one layup!

truefan 10 years, 10 months ago

The reason I don't like early kickoff is because I am a student which means I have to be at the stadium 2 to 3 hours before the game to sit in the stands and save seats which means 8 or 9 a.m. just to get my seats. I just sit there and bake on the bleachers while season ticket holders enjoy kegs and eggs. I don't hate it enough to complain about it over and over, at least I'm there, my seats are good, my tickets are cheap, and the team is getting better every year...lots to love anyway.

Spencer Goff 10 years, 10 months ago

Suck it Don.

You probably don't even know where the hell Memorial Stadium is.

William James 10 years, 10 months ago

jayhawkintx73- A couple years ago, before the start of the historic 2007 campaign, I set up my tailgate on the hill, the night before the first game against Central Michigan. Just after we went to sleep a campus policeman woke us up and asked us what we were doing. I explained to him that we were tailgating because there was a football game tomorrow and that it is kind of a big deal to some people. The poor guy looked so confused. He said he would talk to his boss and they would decide whether or not I could stay. He never came back. With our success the last couple years, I am sure it's not as bad now, just thought it was worth mentioning.

truefan-What are you talking about 2 or 3 hours before kickoff you have to go into the stadium? And for a non conference game? You must stand in the very front row. I'm always in the student section and usually have really good seats by arriving 30-45 minutes before kickoff. The earliest I've ever had to get to a game was 2 hours before kickoff. That was when I was at an Auburn game and needed to get good seats.

sevenyearhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Hell, last year fabio and I started tailgating about 11 pm the night before with the KU Hockey team at 1025 Alabama ...

We even went into Memorial Stadium and watched the crew assemble the endzone seating!

Instead of b!tching about the kickoff times, be thankful that Coach Mangino, his staff and Lew Perkins have produced a program that merits any kind of television coverage.

Kegs and eggs, folks ... kegs and eggs! :D

Ted Toulouse 10 years, 10 months ago

Let's just say none of you, esp. students, would b!tch about an 11am basketball game. Rock the Blue Baby! Breakfast burritos at my house!

Don Everett 10 years, 10 months ago

krohnutz,

I lived in Kansas (Abilene and Salina) for 40 years genius and had season tickets until accepting a new job and had to move away.

As you can see, there were and are alot of other people who think you should shut your cakehole.

Your first crying post was removed.

Give up your tickets now to someone that doesn't care what time the games start.

Dan Harris 10 years, 10 months ago

Mitchumman-Just curious,what is a cold woodchuck?

Hawkman_021 10 years, 10 months ago

The suit is getting fixed for the season I can hardly wait. I guess it a 5am start time, Hey sevenyear and fabio you going to be at the Hockey house the night before heck I may come and join you