Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Kansas guard relishes ’Frisco

Morningstar working out in City by Bay

Kansas guard Brady Morningstar pulls up for a shot during warmups before tipoff against Iowa State, Saturday, Jan. 24, 2009 at Hilton Coliseum in Ames, Iowa.

Brady Morningstar, who has spent a vast majority of his life in Lawrence, decided to check out another part of the country this summer.

“A lot of the guys on the team get to go home once in a while. I stay in town for the holidays. Summer’s a good time for me to get out of Lawrence,” said Kansas University junior basketball guard Morningstar, in a phone interview Monday from San Francisco, where he has been working out with college and NBA players since July 6.

The Bay area is where former Kansas University assistant and NBA head coach Bob Hill — as well as trainer Frank Matrisciano — run summer workout sessions.

It’s a grueling five-day-a-week schedule for Morningstar, who is living in a 10-story apartment building in downtown San Francisco.

“There’s 19 guys here. We get picked up at 7:15 (a.m.) and go to the gym,” said Morningstar, who is joined by the likes of the Boston Celtics’ Gabe Pruitt, New Orleans Hornets’ Hilton Armstrong and Denver Nuggets’ Nick Fazekas, as well as Kentucky’s Patrick Patterson and Daniel Orton, Cal’s Patrick Christopher and others.

“Coach Hill puts us through skills workouts. There’s some up and down stuff. We do it two hours.

“We take a break, then at 3:15 (p.m.) we go do a workout outside in San Francisco with coach Matrisciano, whether it’s running hills or stairs or going to a playground and working on pullup bars or pushups. It’s all about mental toughness with him. Your body will think it wants to shut down, but you can push through it.”

The summer Boot Camp also includes two nights of pick-up basketball action, where the 6-foot-3, 190-pound Morningstar has seen improvement in his game.

“We play four, 12-minute quarters with a 24-second clock. Coach Hill likes to put us through an NBA-type game,” Morningstar said. “I’ve been playing point guard to work on my ballhandling. It’s a part of my game I need to improve, seeing the floor and creating shots for others. We’ve got a lot of scorers on our (KU) team this year. I need to get them the ball.

“This is a big year for me and everybody else on the team. There are big expectations. I have something to prove. I had an OK year last year. I expect more out of myself so I’m trying to improve this summer.”

He says he hasn’t weighed himself in a while, but drinks protein shakes after his afternoon workout and before going to bed and knows he’s put on some “good weight and muscle.”

Morningstar says he’s completely recovered from June 9 surgery to repair a stress fracture in his right foot.

“I made a quick recovery from the surgery,” Morningstar said. “The main deal with surgery is the healing process for the wound. That’s why I was on crutches. We have such a good staff at Kansas. They know what they are doing.”

As far as fun in ’Frisco, Morningstar, who will return to Lawrence in a week or so, recently took a personal tour of the city — by air.

“It’s a cool city,” he said. “I don’t know if I’d ever live out here, but would come out for a long extended workout or vacation.”

Comments

rasta_meta 10 years, 6 months ago

Be sure to check out the tenderloin before you leave....there is nothing tender about tthat place.

kansaswingnut 10 years, 6 months ago

While everyone else thinks Brady overachieved and reached his ceiling, this kid says he had an "ok season". Brady is working his butt off to get better. Don't count him out for lots of quality minutes. Morningstar has a heart as big as Kansas. In state kids always have a special place in my heart. Go get em Brady!

DCJayhawk0208 10 years, 6 months ago

I'd love to hear what Hill or some of the NBA players have to say about Morningstar. I'm definitely impressed he's working so hard this off-season. Noone is getting anything handed to them this season!

Is it November yet?

Chris Shaw 10 years, 6 months ago

Well, since I'm the third post, this is where someone usually bashes the writer and calls out LJW for writing a terrible article. For Once, I am going to do the opposite. Gary and all LJW writers (I mean all writers including Mayer-I like his angle and thoughts in his stories), I just wanted to take this time to say, "Thank You" for everything you do with this site and LJW. Many people pay attention to every little detail when it comes to the correctness of an article. I will take any article focus on the premise of the article, get what I need and move on. Because I live out of state, I appreciate what you guys do to give more info than what I could get on my own. You provide a forum that I definitely couldn't get down here in the Carolinas and you provide an added value in my life. Over the last couple of weeks it seems like there have been a ton of posters calling out writers, especially Mayer, and I ask you why? I don't know, maybe something different fullfills my thoughts, but my focus is never on the correctness, but the overall content. People make mistakes all the time and I try no to focus on that. So again, thank you Gary, LJW, and other writers.

Now on to bigger things like KU Basketball. A lot has been going on the last few days with Bill Self and the KU team and I'm going to provide some links to articles that you may or may not have seen.

1) Did anyone see on ESPNU last night the 17 and Under AAU championship from Orlando? I didn't catch all of it, some of the second half, but I think it airs again today on ESPNU at 2 PM eastern. You should take a look if you get a chance because there is a kid named Austin Rivers that is unbelivable. What little chance I got to see him play, he was definitely the best player on the court. Unfortuantely, is the #4 ranked player in the 2011 class already committed to Florida. Nonetheless, take a look because he is a pretty special player. He played on Team SPAT and they a played a team called "DC Team Takeover". The only two players I recognized on Takeover was Jerian Grant (#130 in class of 2010 and son of Harvey Grant) and Victor Oladipo (#107 class of 2010). What little I saw of Jerian Grant, he was pretty smooth, but ended up being the player of the game. If you get a chance take a look at the game today on ESPNU.

2) With Bill and Danny Manning in Las Vegas last week, here is an article on ESPN talking about Sonny Vaccaro and some event that was suppose to keep coaches away. Apparently, Self decided to attend. ESPN always tries to spin things in a certain direction.

continued

Chris Shaw 10 years, 6 months ago

3) Here is another story from a couple of days ago by Zagsblog. Adam interviewed Self while he was out in Vegas. Good Read. There is another story just above the Self article that is about Shelby's Mom and Worldwide Wes (William Wesley). Just like John Wooden had Sammy Gilbert back in the 60's and 70's, it looks like John Calipari has William Wesley (Worldwide Wes) to look after his back. Obviously, nothing has been proven, but seems a little suspicious to me.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 6 months ago

Way to go Brady! Keep up the good work! He'll find time on the court. You can't bench court savy with a capital "V" Baby!

keith horinek 10 years, 6 months ago

This team seems a little more serious and focused this summer. Tyshawn wins a gold medal in Europe, Brady is working out in California, Sherron is working on his weight (and it's only July)! I think they will be very focused this year!

Tim Orel 10 years, 6 months ago

Who pays for something like this camp? Is it the player's responsibility, or does he do some work in exchange for the room and board and the rest, like they do for the camps held on campus or around KS for a couple of days? This, especially in San Francisco, is likely to be pretty pricey, especially if he's getting instruction.

Waylon Cook 10 years, 6 months ago

Wish Reed was working out with him too. Those kids have gotten more criticism from the "smart KU fans" than any players I remember in recent history-they also helped us excel last year when most thought we couldn't!

ROCK CHALK!

KGBOSS 10 years, 6 months ago

Kushaw, Austin Rivers is Doc Rivers younger son and its been said that he will be the best one of all his son's that play bball.

lothario 10 years, 6 months ago

nice. now i am wondering where are the morris twins? they better be in some type of camp or working with manning on footwork and shooting/shot selection. we are going to need those two to contribute in a big way along with reed and releford. they are not the main guys but when substitutions happen self is going to need them to not lose the game.

ObiWan 10 years, 6 months ago

Smart players know their weaknesses, and work to conquer them. It sounds like Brady knows what he has to do in order to contribute to this team. I'm looking forward to two more seasons with him!

Joe Baker 10 years, 6 months ago

Why San Fran? Oh yeah...I understand the KU connection, but a more competitive location like Houston, NY, LA, or NY would be more physical! I can appreciate the physical aerobic type workouts, but physical competition would be good for the grueling B12 schedule. It sounds a little posh to me. I'd like to see Brady face some bump and grind defense where he can drain a three at contact. This has been one of my observations about most of the KU teams especially this team. Sherron and the twins were the only physical presence on the court for KU. One thing we've lacked is the physical ability to move people around in the paint. I hope Marcus and Markieff are as physical this year. They need to be selective and smart when being physical (stay away from the refs-LOL). I'd like to see Cole be more physical too. We just seem soft at times!

Joe Baker 10 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, but running hills won't prepare you for a solid defensive player in your face or bump when draining a three. I just think our guards experienced some turnovers with some petty contacts and some shots were missed with minor contact. You look at the Iversons, Lance Stephenson, Meeks, or even a Wade or Bryant, these guys shoot with serious contact and drain them. Yeah, the later are veteran NBA guards, but this is what makes you a more focused and consistent shooter. Again, I can appreciate his drive to be in better shape but that doesn't prepare you to be a better shooter!! I don't want them to be "good", I want them to be great and dominate!! Obviously Brady feels that he needs to be in better shape, but there's nothing like a good ol' playground with some street rules to prepare you for a college game. I expect better things from Brady!! I hope he receives his R-O-I

Joe Baker 10 years, 6 months ago

Come on...the twins were the only ones mixing it up and bumping and grinding or at least willing. They didn't avoid contact!! They were true freshmen learning the ropes in the NCAA. They have what it takes and I think TRob will eventually get there too, but our guys tend to lack some "physicality" at times when it's necessary.

I despise the Big East, but they tended to be physical when necessary and I watch B12 team after B12 team drop to the Big East. I'm sick of it. For example last night, I watched a rerun of the Ok State game and Pitt. Ok State played their heart out and Dejuan Blair had them for lunch inside b/c Ok St failed to match him. He moved them around like rag dolls. I don't like being bullied and want to see the Jayhawks match some of this physical challenge. I expect them to be more physical this year!

Joe Baker 10 years, 6 months ago

Lebowski... My last post was lost, but all I'm saying is the twins were the only ones that were willing to mix it up. They just didn't quite know how. They were hestitant at times and lacked confidence. I expect the entire team to be physical this year.

I think San Fran is beautiful and like Brady wouldn't want to live there. Especially since Pelosi calls it home. Wouldn't want to live anywhere near Pelosi! LOL

Jeff Kilgore 10 years, 6 months ago

true, your post is square. self teams are tough, and I look for us to play more big east style defense this year. that's the way to win it all. and if the twins are 30 pounds heavier, they will definitely push players around. with cole, withey, and the new forward coming into to town who is supposedly a top rebounder, and you throw in collins and the henrys, and our local duo, and taylor, I don't see a hesitant team. we had to stay out of foul trouble last year. we don't so much this year. maybe OSU backed down a little, but Pitt was tough for anyone to handle.

Andrew Moore 10 years, 6 months ago

Brady is doing a great thing by working out in San Fran. This instructor Frank M. is the mysterious fellow that Blake Griffin went to to push his game to the next level. These programs, especially Frank M.'s should be extremely helpful to make Brady a better player. I'm really not sure whether Tyshawn or Brady start next season. We don't need two point guards out on the floor with Ty and Sherron, and we do need a shooter and defensive presence in the starting five.

I think it depends on how well of a defender Xavier Henry is. If he is a good defender, then it won't be as necessary to have a lock down guy like Morningstar start. But if he is shabby defensively then it will be much more important to have Brady start and Tyshawn be the 6th man. One on one Ty would be the better player, but as far as the role of the 2 guard on this team next year - Brady may be the better fit. Don't sleep on Morningstar. My projected depth chart:

Sherron Collins/Tyshawn Taylor/CJ Henry Brady Morningstar/Tyrel Reed/Elijah Johnson Xavier Henry/Mario Little/Travis Releford Marcus Morris/Thomas Robinson Cole Aldrich/Markeif Morris/Jeff Withey

Mark Anderson 10 years, 6 months ago

San Fran is the same place and these are the same coaches that Blake Griffin worked out with between his freshman and sophomore years. According to Griffin, this workout and these coaches turned him into the player he became as a sophomore, and he felt it was the reason he became the #1 draft pick this year. Matrisciano's workout program is supposed to be a beast (if it doesn't kill you, it will make you better) and Morningstar should come back to Lawrence a bigger, stronger, faster, and better basketball player than the one who left Lawrence this summer. I'll be anxious to see the benefits of his summer workouts!

jaygirl193 10 years, 6 months ago

coloradojayhawk,

From another article written last year about Frank Matrisciano: "Only the professionals and those college players with agents pay for his services. Everyone else trains for free."

Meet Hell's Trainer: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/06/08/SP6U1147J0.DTL#ixzz0MZQNAcWI

justanotherfan 10 years, 6 months ago

truehawk,

Brady is working out with NBA guys. That's a competitive environment, regardless of where he's playing. I have been one of the people critical of Brady on this board, but I am impressed with the work he is doing this summer.

Brady has realized that the likelihood of him seeing minutes at the 3 this year are slim and none. He played there last year because we had no one else. This year we have a (hopefully) healthy Mario Little and Xavier Henry. No need for Brady there. So if Brady is going to play, he will either be playing the 1 or the 2. If he improves his ballhandling, he will be a legitimate sidekick to Sherron, which would allow Sherron to move off the ball in some situations and look to score.

Brady is smart to work on his game in that specific aspect. I hope it pays off for him.

jakejayhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Hey, if you are going to talk about guys who played tough last year, don't forget Cole. While he might not be large in bulk (as opposed to being tall), he plays a very physical game. You don't score, rebound, and block shots as he does without a lot of banging inside. And other teams tried to push him around with very little success. Cole is a tough, tough player.

cg1029 10 years, 6 months ago

Joe Baker 10 years, 6 months ago

justanotherfan (anonymous) says... Brady is working out with NBA guys.

Again every little bit helps, but I reserached some of those "NBA guys" and comparatively, they're cream puffs. I'm sure he'll get the workout he puts into the program. I've spoken to some here in OKC and they say Griffin experienced a huge improvement from his Frosh and Soph yrs. And again, I hope the R-O-I pays off. I expect Brady to be bigger, thicker, quicker, stronger and more consistent. It all sounds good and now lets see it work. If it does, we'll need to send the others next year.

You're right jakejayhawk-

And Cole did it all with a nose guard, mask and busted nose! Yep, much credit is due him!! Most guys would be shy and gun shy, but he did play well now that you mention it.

RCJHKU

trmatlock 10 years, 6 months ago

Two of my kids were born in Lawrence in the '80s'. When we moved out here (we live about 40minutes from the 'City'), I learned that they don't like the term 'Frisco'. It is 'San Francisco'. Some of them are very snooty about it. :-)

michaelaho 10 years, 6 months ago

Nobody in SF calls it Frisco. That's for Midwest folks to do. Wait...

Joe Baker 10 years, 6 months ago

His clients have included the Wizards' Gilbert Arenas, the Celtics' Leon Powe and the Pacers' Kareem Rush.

jaygirl193- I googled him and brought up your article. Your link didn't quite work! try:

justanotherfan (anonymous) says...

Couldn't have said it better!! You're absolutely right. I don't want anyone in the nation to misunderstand me. I think he could be great! I just want him to do well and be completely successful. He will have to work extra hard.

Joe Baker 10 years, 6 months ago

jaygirl193- That direct link just won't work. People will have to google Frank Matrisciano

KGphoto 10 years, 6 months ago

Someone will have to play serious defense if they are planning to unseat Brady. And it looks like he's bent on improving too. I would give him better than a slim chance for significant minutes this year. At least until deep into the season. This one will be decided on the court, during games. Not here and now.

Joel Hood 10 years, 6 months ago

cg1029 (anonymous) says... "If Brady sees more then 5 minutes a game this season then something went very wrong during the season." =====================

cg, no disrepect here, but I gotta seriously disagree with you. IMO, Brady will see a lot of playing time and I predict he will start through December. No one knows Self's system better and he is terrific on D - on the ball and especially off. Yes, I know we have all these exciting new faces, but coach rewards smart play and grittiness and Brady is that guy. But, once the new guys start to catch on, I'm sure Brady's time on the floor will diminish, but he still plays a lot more than 5 minutes per game. My guess is that Tyrell and Releford will be the guys getting less than 5 per game.

Joe Baker 10 years, 6 months ago

drgnslayr (anonymous) says... 2. Cole is dedicating the summer to strengthening his legs.

Cole does need or needed to get those legs bulked. They were looking ah...um..."skinny"? LOL

I have no doubt the twins will be bulked and I can't wait to see Withey's debut.

Joe Baker 10 years, 6 months ago

jayhawkerjoel (anonymous) says... ...but coach rewards smart play and grittiness and Brady is that guy

If he survives this training, he should have plenty of grit!! He better be a beast. Frank M's training regimen is N-A-S-T-Y!! The funny thing is people come back for more.

cg1029 10 years, 6 months ago

I don't care how hard Brady works he is no where near as physically talented as Sherron, Tyshawn, Elijah, Xavier, and more then likely CJ Henry.

KU has far more talent in 2009 -10 then at any point last year, and the only reason Brady played last year was the injury to Mario Little. There is no way Brady should see the court for significant minutes other then in a BLOWOUT, FOUL TROUBLE / INJURY. His best option is if Self wants to go with a small lineup at some point, or needs him for defensive match up.

KU Starting Lineup 2009 Sherron, Tyshawn
Xavier One of the Morris Twins Cole

Other players who get significant minutes, Elijah, Mario, the other Morris, Robinson, Withey.

At that point you are already giving minutes out to 10 guys where does Brady really fit? If someone can really make an argument that KU has a better lineup with Brady on the floor as opposed to any combination of Sherron, Tyshawn, Elijah, Mario, or Xavier 1-3 I would be surprised… Let’s remember that Self puts the most talented players on the floor look at the case of Collins vs. Russell Robinson… who was on the floor more during the end of the national championship season?

What purpose does it serve to play Brady for significant minutes at the beginning of the season? We already know what you have in him, and the younger players who are being depended on to take KU to a Championship level need the time to develope Look at Bill Self’s history at KU… He typically sets into about an 8/9 person rotation and he knows that there are some games early in the season that his teams will learn more from losing then winning. Why would Brady even see the court in any of these situations?

cg1029 (anonymous) says... no where near as physically talented

I don't think you mean "physically" talented. If Brady comes back this season from this workout with results, he should be freakin' bada-- !! If he gains some much needed consistency on his shot, he'll give X a run. Brady knows the system and that gives him the edge! I will pause to see what Brady does early in the preseason. If he finds consistency in his shot, he starts most of the season. Don't forget though, the Henrys are simply maintaining their abilities w/ a trainer too. If X comes back with his offense and defense, learns the system, he starts!! I'm leaning big time toward X unless Brady comes back Griffin-like. Again, either one will be a win for KU!!

RCJHKU

They're all talented period.

Joel Hood 10 years, 6 months ago

When Kirk Hinrich played, the big criticism of him was that he wasn’t as athletic as many of his peers. We all know that argument was crap. Now, I’m not trying to compare Brady to Kirk, but the argument that Brady isn’t athletic is based on his “flash factor”. But, the fact is, he is a smart ball player, he IS athletic, he just isn’t flashy. Kenny Gregory was a flashy athlete… too bad he never developed into a great basketball player for KU.

What does Brady bring to the floor that others don’t? He is our best defensive player and will guard the other teams’ best backcourt players. Coach rewards guys that can defend with playing time. I think that Tyshawn is becoming a really good defender too, but he doesn’t play D away from the ball like Brady does.

No one has seen CJ, X, Withey, Robinson, or Johnson play D1 basketball. No one has seen Mario play D1 basketball while 100% healthy. Brady will play because the new guys will have to earn their playing time during practice and they have a lot to learn that Brady can already perform. Why did Christian Moody play so much? Wasn’t Darnell Jackson a stronger and more athletic player during Moody’s last year? Why didn’t he play more than Moody?

No one knows what the new guys’ court chemistry will be with Cole, Sherron, Morris twins, etc. We already know that Brady is a glue guy who has good chemistry with the guys from last year. Your best athletes aren’t always the ones who are most needed. Remember that Jared Haase wasn’t the best athlete on the 1997 team, but we lost to UA because he wasn’t on the floor. He was that critical role player that made the team better. I honestly believe that Brady is that critical role player this team will need to be successful next year.

Obviously we are all guessing about next year, and no one knows anything for sure, except that it will be exciting with some surprises and probably some disappointments. But, I do believe in my gut that Brady will compete and he will play significant minutes because he is too good of ball player to sit on the bench.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 6 months ago

KGboss: Thanks for pointing out about Doc Rivers son. I did not realize the connection. He is definitely legit though! He was by far the best player on the court and silky smooth.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 6 months ago

I can't wait for a lackluster defensive performance by X and see Self just go off on the young fella during the season. Bill Self always has that sligh smirk on his face when things aren't going well and I'm going to have that same smirk when X gets his ass chewed for a failed defensive assignment.

Eurekahwk 10 years, 6 months ago

I agree, Morningstar coming back after working with NBA level trainers leads me to believe that he should get more minutes than any of the new guys that have yet to play a Division I basketball game. I wouldn't start him, but I'd give him the nod to be the first guard off the bench.

ObiWan 10 years, 6 months ago

It's not who starts the game, it's who finishes it that reveals a coach's confidence. I'm betting that there will be plenty of games, even into March, where Brady is on the floor when we need to get a stop and take care of the basketball.

cg1029 10 years, 6 months ago

Comparing Brady and Hinrich is as ridiculous of an argument as I can think of. You are comparing Brady who would have been lucky to see a minute of playing time on any of the teams that Kirk played for to a guy who was a lottery pick in the NBA and a starter for a playoff Bulls team. That is absolutely ridiculous. Hinrich finished his career at KU in the top 10 in points and the top 5 in both assists and steals per game he was an all American and LED KU to a final 4 and a Finals appearance.

There are two facts that all of you need to accept. 1.Brady will not start for this team… He is not near talented enough, and would not have played last year had we not lost so much talent the year before. 2.It is going to take a JR Giddens level meltdown for Xavier not to start from day one. He is by far the most physically talented player that is going to set foot on the court for KU next season and will probably score more points in the first 5 games of his KU career then Brady will score all of next year.

I understand that all of you want to root for Brady because he seems like a good kid, but let’s face facts he is not near as talented on any level as any of the players that he will be competing for playing time with. There is a reason that Sherron, Tyshawn, and Xavier are all listed as being draft prospects and Brady is not…

kuwillkillit 10 years, 6 months ago

mjlindsm 10 years, 6 months ago

cg1029, you really need to talk to Bill Self. For some reason he must have just not gotten it last year. He didn't realize Brady wasn't talented enough. That's why he played him over 30 minutes a game. I wish you were there to tell him that Tyshawn and Mario should have been playing more than Brady. Man, Self just doesn't know anything!

What on earth makes you think Elijah Johnson will play more than Brady? Have you ever seen him play on the college level? And CJ Henry? The guy wasn't even that highly regarded out of high school, and he's not played any real basketball in an awful long time.

Brady, Tyshawn, Sherron, and Xavier should see the most minutes on the perimeter, and there will probably be a nice battle for a fifth perimeter player to get a few minutes. If Mario Little is as good as some say, and more importantly, if he can guard quick perimeter players, he's got a good shot at it. But I think the first 4 are pretty solid.

Keith Kienzle 10 years, 6 months ago

cg,

I still believe that a big reason we lost to UCLA in the tourney in 2007 because Darnell Jackson got only 14 minutes (where he was a total stud) while Julian Wright got 29 minutes and turned into a bone head for a few long stretches. Both had 8 points.

I also think that Self would do it different if he could replay that game. Besides that, we shot poorly (Mario and Brandon) and would steal the ball and then turn it right back over. But anyway, my point is that Darnell was a system guy, and look how much he contributed his senior year.

But I want to say that my biggest issue with Brady, and Tyrel for that matter, last year, was not that they weren't physically competitive Like jayhawkerjoel said, Brady was a beast off the ball. Brady had a knack for flying through the air directly at guys shooting from the corners, somehow contorting to not collide with them at the last minute.

No, my gripe with them was that they went through stretches of complete mental meltdown, turning the ball over at half-court repeatedly. That just can't happen. And I don't think it will.

Brady has every opportunity to play significant minutes. It may not be every game, and it may not be late in the season, but right now, Brady offers the team some things that no one else on the team has yet demonstrated.

Dirk Medema 10 years, 6 months ago

cg1029 - Sorry for the attack. Realistically though, you're making the same arguments that were made early last year, just qualifying them a bit more because he was a significant contributor to the championship/sweet16 team last year.

To really put it into perspective tho, look at the minutes. He wasn't just playing, he was playing more than everyone but Sherron. Even more, only Cole & TT were even within a few hundred minutes. He got 30+ mpg last year b/c he can play ball, not b/c of a lack of players. He also is not likely to go to -5 unless he were totally complacent, and he obviously isn't.

Learn from history, and give it a rest. The good news is that Coach has a wealth of talent to challenge for every position. Practices should be brutally competitive. That may be the biggest benefit for Brady from the summer, he'll be that much more prepared for it.

Keith Kienzle 10 years, 6 months ago

Actually Brandon shot decently in the UCLA game (7/16). Mario was the only one that shot really poorly (1-8) but I think I can forgive him.

I wish ESPN would track turnovers in their collegiate box scores. I really remember the whole team coughing up the rock repeatedly, and Julian being one of the worst offenders.

We'll have to see if Morningstar makes smart decisions with the ball (including on the inbounds pass). If he's practicing at the point, passing may be an even bigger area of growth than ball-handling. Both will help him break the press.

If he does, and Xavier has trouble facing D-I defense, there's no reason to think Brady won't get significant run at the 3.

JayhawkCasey 10 years, 6 months ago

If you look at the recruits on all teams (top 10 recruits) typically they always start for their teams. This is not a guarantee, but more often than not they do. Brady will push Xavier for minutes though and could start at the beginning of the season.

cg1029 10 years, 6 months ago

Your right Brady did play 30 + minutes a game last year for a team that spent much of the season outside the top 25 got its butt handed to it on the road at Tech, and lost in the Big 12 tournament to a Baylor team that finished the season 5-11 in the Big 12. He also averaged 6.5 pts a game in 30 minutes while KU had its second worse scoring season in Bill Self’s tenure. Brady was the best option that we had last year, but that is not the case this year. There is a reason that KU went from a top 10 team to the consensus preseason #1 when we signed Xavier Henry. In addition there is a reason that Bill Self signed Xavier, Elijah etc and that is because the team that we had last year was no where near talented enough to compete for a national championship.

The Cole Aldrich vs. Xavier comparison is quite ridiculous as well. While Cole was a good prospect as a freshmen he was not considered a first round draft pick OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL. When Cole showed up at KU he was competing for minutes with three other players who physically were similar in stature to him and all of whom were drafted. Xavier was brought to KU to play the 3 and start. Physically at 6’6 230 lbs Xavier is a huge upgrade from the 6'3 180 Morningstar.

As far as Elijah Johnson he is one of only four 5 star point guards in the 2009 class according to most recruiting sites, and is a top 25 over all player who has ridiculous athleticism

Keith Kienzle 10 years, 6 months ago

cg,

Your reasoning is compelling, but I don't think we'll see Brady play 5- minutes a game. Over the course of the season, I'd guess 10+. Over the course of the pre-conference schedule, 15+. Do you think RussRob is a fair comparison? While I think you mentioned that Sherron was out there in the NC with the game on the line, Robinson still started the majority of the 08 season while platooning the minutes with Sherron and Mario, and that seemed to work out for us well.

mjlindsm 10 years, 6 months ago

Elijah Johnson is ranked by recruiting services right around the same level Russel Robinson was. Robinson didn't play all that much his Freshman year, and I'd expect the same from Elijah. That's no knock on him; RussRob had a great career for Kansas and I'd be happy if Elijah's is equal. But unless he was vastly underrated, he's not taking many minutes from Brady.

mjlindsm 10 years, 6 months ago

Who's up for a game of over/under? Brady Morningstar averages 12 minutes a game - over Sherron Collins scores 670 points (gives him 2000 career points) - under Morris brothers commit a combined 3 technical fouls - push CJ Henry misses 3 games due to injury - over Cole Aldrich averages 11 rebounds per game - over Xavier Henry averages 15 points per game - under Travis Releford plays 1 game - over Thomas Robinson blocks 1 shot per game - under Kansas wins 35 games - push

cg1029 10 years, 6 months ago

I am not sure that Russell Robinson is a great comparison for Elijah Johnson. While both were 5 star recruits coming out of high school Robinson was a shooting Guard who was making the conversion to point guard at KU. Robinson’s playing time his freshmen year was less then he wanted, but he was behind Aaron Miles (All time assist leader at KU I believe) Keith Langford, and Mike Lee all of whom were better at their position then Robinson at that point, and Giddens was actually worth something at that point.

As far as Elijah taking minuets from Brady they should not be in competition for minuets at the point which is Johnson’s natural position, and not an area where Brady excels. While I have not seen Johnson play in person I have seen quite a bit of video of him and can say he appears to be a very sick athlete who can play either the point of the shooting guard, but I am not sure how strong his shot is.

BTW where is everyone at who was killing the Henry brothers for not being in Lawrence this summer and not being part of the team when the exact same situation is happening here? Brady is off working by himself and not with his team.

Over / Under Brady 12 min – under Sherron 670 – over Morris tech foul –under CJ misses 3 games – under Cole 11 rebs – under Xavier 15 pts – over I would say 20+ Releford 1 game – over 35 wins – under, but still National Champs.

Joel Hood 10 years, 6 months ago

cg,

My last post specifically said that I was not comparing Brady to Hinrich. I’m not sure why your follow-up post went off on my analogy regarding athleticism, ball skill, and role players. I guess I didn’t do a good job making my point, or perhaps you should read it again, more carefully.

This type of argument is so fun. How often does this type of problem arise – being so deep that no one, not even the coach, really has a clue how things will shake out once the season begins. Can you imagine the basketball talk on other message boards this summer…

kstatepurpleguy – “I guess we have some good players coming in this year”
   mizzourinecolorman – “yeah, our good year was last year”
   kstatepurpleguy – “(sigh) my god, I hate KU, again”
   mizzourinecolorman – “ditto”

justanotherfan 10 years, 6 months ago

Here's the thing that people are forgetting.

Kirk Hinrich, while maybe not as athletic as some, was an NBA talent level player. Those types of guys are tough to unseat in college because well, they tend to be the most talented players out there.

Sasha Kaun, his senior year, was a fringe level NBA player. Cole Aldrich was a freshman. While Cole has developed into a probable lottery pick, as a freshman he wasn't ready to unseat a fringe level NBA player like Sasha, or Darnell, or a 1st rounder like Darrell. But all of those guys were NBA level players.

Next year (2010) Xavier Henry could play in the NBA. Unless something very significant has happened this summer, Brady Morningstar will not. If that last statement I made is untrue, I will guarantee a national title for KU right now.

Furthermore, Brady won't be competing with X for minutes. Last year, Brady played out of position at the 3. Brady is not a college 3. He's not big enough. That's not a judgment on his ability, it's a statement that simply says 6-3 guys shouldn't play the 3 for a major D-1 school. X and Mario Little, if both are healthy, will be seeing the main minutes at the 3. Brady will be competing against CJ, EJ, Tyshawn and Tyrel for time in the backcourt alongside Sherron, which is more suited to Brady's natural position, anyway.

To start then, Brady would need to unseat returning starter (and gold medalist) Tyshawn Taylor, as well as hold off Elijah Johnson (rumored to be the most athletic of the new guys), CJ Henry (a high level recruit out of high school in his own right) and Tyrel Reed (who Brady beat out for the lion's share of the minutes last year). And we might as well throw Travis Releford in there for discussion purposes, too.

I'm not saying it won't happen. Not by any stretch. But I think it's very likely that Brady's minutes will take a hit. How much I don't know, but I don't see him (or anyone else, really) playing 30 mpg because of the depth we have this year, and if you figure Sherron and Tyshawn will be getting 20-25 mpg each, there really are only 10 or 15 minutes out there for Brady if he beats out the guys I mentioned before.

justanotherfan 10 years, 6 months ago

And over/unders

Brady 12 mpg - push Sherron 670 points - under (I'm guessing KU plays about 38 games next year. He'd need to average over 17 to get to 670. With our depth, I doubt he averages more than 15.) Morris technical foul - over CJ misses 3 games - under Cole 11 rebounds - under (he's probably only going to play 23-27 minutes a game, and in blowouts, less. He will have some 6 board games this year) Xavier 15 ppg - push Releford 1 game - over (I think he plays in more than half) 35 wins - 32 regular season games, plus 3 conference tournament games and 6 NCAA games. 41 wins is the max, but I seriously doubt an undefeated run. I figure at least 2 or 3 regular season losses, maybe a conference tourney loss. I say push. 35-4

Joe Baker 10 years, 6 months ago

I watched the Mich St/KU from last year again. I wanted to reevaluate Brady's "skills". It wasn't a good game for the entire team, but especially Brady. He had six points in the first half. He played most of the game (maybe entire) and I waited for him to step up. At one point it was Brady, Reed, Taylor, McM and Little. Again, I waited for Brady to step up. Then at the 6-7 min mark of second half it was Brady, Reed, Taylor, McM and Cole. I wanted Brady to step up and once again, he failed. He never scored in the second half. He shot a little floater that hit iron from about 12-15 feet. He lost the ball a few times. Defensively, he was guarding Allen (MState). Allen did very little the entire game, a non-factor. Brady should've been on Kalin Lucas or Walton, but it was all HCBS's game plan. It was the game Sherron missed the front of 1-1 toward the end. Reed was a little shaky but he drilled a three during one of the lead runs. Cole and Sherron threw the ball away a few times. But overall they had a pretty good game. Collins ended with 20 pts. The one player that stood tall was Taylor. This kid was playing in the tournament as a Freshman and stepped up to the line and hit 4-4 free throws and tied the game like ice, twice. I was most impressed with his ability and level head. Brady was a Soph and frankly failed. This is why he will not start. It's not his "grit" or his defense. He just doesn't step up when needed. The game made me mad and sick at the same time. I was reminded why I would not go to Brady in the game. I would go to TT before Brady. TT missed a long three on the key that hit the back of the iron! But for a Freshman to step up to the line and hit four FT consecutively and tie the game, has my confidence. His defense wasn't too bad either. Again, I will give Brady some slack and will expect him to be a different player. I will wait yet again for him to be the player that everybody claims. He will be a Junior and I hope I'm wrong, but don't see him doing much this season either...sorry! Like most of you who are much more pro-Brady than I have said, it's just not his character, style or whatever. He just isn't a go to guy. I H-O-P-E I-M W-R-O-N-G!! Good luck Brady, your gonna need it brother!!

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 5 months ago

The "If Brady sees more then 5 minutes a game this season then something went very wrong during the season." line, is the most idiotic thing I've read in a few months. It's like saying soap is bad.

Joel Hood 10 years, 5 months ago

I think truehawk makes some really good observations about Brady’s last game and I totally agree that he will likely never be a “go to” guy. But, with all the other scoring threats we should have in other positions next year, why would coach ever put him in the “go to” role? Brady should be able to play the 1, 2, & 3 spot next year – especially defensively. Although I still think he may start in November - December, I think it's likely he will be the first option off the bench when Sherron, Tyshawn, or even X comes out. I would never argue that Brady will be a primary scoring threat next year, but I really don’t think coach would ask him to be that because scoring the ball is only one skill out of many roles a team needs.

For everyone who disagrees with me on this, please call me out by January if I’m wrong. And just to be fair, I believe everyone’s MPG from last year will decrease, except Mario’s of course. So obviously, Brady’s minutes will be down next year from last year. I’ve been wrong before and I may be wrong now, but it sure would seem out of character of coach to relegate Brady to bench captain.

Joseph Kuebel 10 years, 5 months ago

Brady is the ultimate glue guy. If you don't think he's gonna get 5+ minutes a game - much less 10+ minutes a game you have not been watching Bill Self or Jayhawk basketball with any analysis or reasoning at all. Being a betting man, I'd put down 500$ Brady gets more than 5 minutes a game. EJ gonna get more PT than BRADY! LOL! That is so stupid I cannot believe. I have a question for you, Do you watch Jayhawk basketball? Do you watch basketball? And do you have an IQ over 80?

Hey CG, lets put it this way: if Brady gets less than 5 minutes and its not due to injury I'll run naked on the court during the last home game of the year...just for you and your fruity asinine joke of a brain.

Joseph Kuebel 10 years, 5 months ago

<--- shock jockey Joey "$ tha profit $", "smackin a B**, slappin a H"