Monday, July 27, 2009

Ohio prep says KU on list of finalists

Adreian Payne, a 6-foot-10 senior basketball center from Jefferson High in Dayton, Ohio, has narrowed his list of colleges to five.

Payne, Rivals.com’s No. 20-rated player told the Dayton Daily News he will choose either Kansas University, Kentucky, Arizona, Michigan State or West Virginia.

Comments

suttonku 10 years, 8 months ago

and im hearing from my sources that KU is the front runner to get Payne at this point...now you never know with the used car salesman from UK but that is what I was told earlier today...If we land Payne that puts us in good shape...because although we lose Aldrich more than likely, we will have Robinson, the twins, and Withey...add Payne to that and KU will be very strong down low...and obviously with Royce coming as well, just the two of them would be great and a job well done by Self...because yes we will lose Collins and maybe Taylor, Woolridge will be ready to step right in after next season with EJ and all the rest...After we win the title next year KU will reload quckly.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 8 months ago

Wonder if we're in serious contention for Fabricio de Melo, the No. 5 overall player???

Waylon Cook 10 years, 8 months ago

NO we didn't make cut for Melo he announced last week!

suttonku 10 years, 8 months ago

And that is false...has not ruled out KU but it has been stated by the media that UCONN and Louisville are the front runners but KU has not been eliminated from his list.

suttonku 10 years, 8 months ago

And KU is very much in the mix with Selby as well...although it would be tough to sign him with Woolridge coming next year...should be interesting to see how things end up.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 8 months ago

I think Shelby is going to depend on one factor, Tyshawn Taylor. I think if Tyshawn Taylor leaves or looks like he is going to leave next year then I think Shelby, KU, and Self have a legitimate shot at making things match. However, for the 2010-2011 season, if it looks like Taylor, Johnson, and Woolridge are going to be our 3 guard rotation, I don't see how Shelby would view possibly being the 4th option. Self will do what is right for the most part when it comes to big time recruits so having a 4 guard rotation might be possible. Anything with Self is possible, but the 4 "Big-Time" guards could create log-jam.

Joe Baker 10 years, 8 months ago

suttonku (anonymous) says. And KU is very much in the mix with Selby as well

No. I will pass on Selby. We don't need him. He has too much drama. I read where he decommitted from Tennessee(?) and now has his list down to Kentucky and Memphis!

Jaminrawk 10 years, 8 months ago

Selby isn't going to commit until next summer anyway. If it takes KU losing Taylor to gain his commitment, I would actually prefer to keep Taylor another year. PLus we will have EJ and most likely CJ Henry still so I think PG is in good shape for the next couple of seasons. If we can land Brandon Knight, then all bets are off. Personally, I just want Harrison Barnes and either Payne or Ferguson (he decommited from UK, so that has to help out KU, right?).

tstanlick1909 10 years, 8 months ago

Selby probably wont be a hawk, but these are the new days of recuiting, more players will wait to commit until the last second, we can call it "pulling a Xavier." And no that wasnt a shot at him i love the dude, but the point is, since most of these recruits only want to stick around for a year, MAYBE two, they want to wait until the season before their freshman year is over to see how the roster shakes up and see who does what. So yes, I do think that Barnes, Selby, etc. will not ink with any school until they see who's going and who's staying.

Just another way how college basketball is in decline

Dillon Davis 10 years, 8 months ago

suttonku, we are definitely not in the lead for Payne's services. From what i've been hearing it's west virginia and kentucky. That's what the guys on theshiver.com are saying anyways.

Joe Baker 10 years, 8 months ago

We have a better chance at Fab Melo at this point!! We need more big men in the next 1-2 years. I think our guards are solid.

suttonku 10 years, 8 months ago

Everyone is forgetting about Deron Lamb...I think the issue here is we have Woolridge and Self is in an interesting position with Lamb, Selby, and Trevor Releford...obviouslt he wants either Lamb or Selby but if we miss out on both we may miss out on Releford as well...and as for the Payne situation Im hearing its an even field with his 5 schools but that UK, KU, and WVU are the three horses in the race...And KU still has a shot at Melo but it would have to be a miracle at this point...KU needs to nab a center though because we will lose Aldrich and we still have withey but we need another big off the bench...the morris twins and Robinson will stay so we really just need a center and maybe a couple guards. I would say there is a legitimate chance that Selby could be a Jayhawk but we have a better shot at Lamb for sure...hes taking an unofficial visit soon I believe.

mjlindsm 10 years, 8 months ago

I don't want Selby. Signs at Tennessee and then leaves without even being able to talk to his coach who is overseas coaching the US Maccabiah team to gold. Pretty classless move if you ask me.

Dillon Davis 10 years, 8 months ago

I don't think we'll get Selby or Melo. Our chances are slim. Melo likes Uconn and Louisville and Selby will prob go to UK. And as for Releford, we are recruiting him but we have not offered him yet. He's had a good summer from what i've heard but as of right now, we haven't offered. I think we have a good shot at Lamb, especially if he does in fact visit this fall. And we're recruiting alot of pgs in this class with Knight and McCallum and Jackson and Irving and Joseph. Our best shot is at Jackson and McCallum most likely. But yeah i think we could use a center like Melo or Payne and and a shooting guard/small forward type guy like Harrison Barnes. Harrison Barnes is our main target in this class and i really hope we can get him instead of Duke.

suttonku 10 years, 8 months ago

KU will prolly only get 2 guards out of this class becuase they have so many already and at the very most they will lose 3 but I think only 2 guards will leave after this season...Selby is unpredictable at this point, we have a shot, but youre right UK looks like a big player there...Melo also unpredictable but KU like I said would need a miracle to land him...Adreian Payne is very interested in KU because he would get playing time right away at KU with Cole more than likely leaving...KU should get a big time big man out of this class for that very reason...and Releford wont be on the market for very long and I think he is going to end up at Arizona.

Michael Auchard 10 years, 8 months ago

What happened to Releford Jr. saying he didn't necessarily want to follow in his brother's shadow/shoes? I'd got the impression he'd be wanting to head elsewhere, but with his handles, I'd love to see him come to KU.

suttonku 10 years, 8 months ago

Dont know what else to call them, but they are correct most of the time so yeah, my sources...AKA people I know within KU...you act like thats uncommon. A lot of people have sources of information...I knew that Little wasnt going to take a medical hardship last year almost a week before the first game he appeared in...and that was due to my "sources" LOL

waywardJay 10 years, 8 months ago

i'd support Sutton..... w had a brief disagreement on X henry but he seems to be right on.

suttonku 10 years, 8 months ago

wayward, thanks for the support. I think that when Im dead wrong about something then someone can trash me but I havent been. No I wont get everything right because no matter how many sources you have you never know what the recruits are going to do...and yes we did disagree on X for a bit but im off that...once I saw how X looked and how far along CJ is I know theyre both committed to making a huge impact right away, as ling as Carl keeps his mouth shut.

rockchalkAZ 10 years, 8 months ago

according to my sources, the ku basketball team is good. i go to ku, i have a friend who knows a girl on the volleyball team, who knows a basketball player (who has chosen to remain anonymous), who says ku is going to be good this year.

i'm not too sure how reliable my sources are, but we'll see.

suttonku 10 years, 8 months ago

Thought yall might be interested in knowing that Lamb will make an unofficial visit to KU in August according to theshiver.com...just wanted to make sure everyone knew this information.

Joe Ross 10 years, 8 months ago

Just watched some film on this Payne recruit and he looks strong. Out of position at times, doesnt box out well, and I dont know about his mid-range jumper, but when kids with raw talent cross paths with top notch coaching they can make up ground really quick. He looks like a great fit for KU!

Im also impressed with Fabricio Melo, but I dont know if KU is in the running for him. If he makes an official visit it may change his mind.

suttonku 10 years, 8 months ago

At this point we are in 3rd for Melo...hes probably going to Louisville or UK unfortunately...but Payne and Deron Lamb we have good chances with both those guys