Friday, July 24, 2009

Winning North realistic for KU football

Kansas University football fans, players and coaches have hoped, wished and dreamed their Jayhawks could win a Big 12 North title since the league was formed in 1996. But up to their 7-1 conference title tie in the Orange Bowl season of 2007, they never had better than a fourth-place finish to “celebrate.”

This season many in the enthusiastic family think, with good reason, that their team will definitely top the other five entries in the North. It’s time, the ultra-faithful say, to reach that postseason league title match. There will be considerable disappointment, and some grumbling, if KU misses that game again.

Hopes soared for the ’08 season, naturally. The resulting 8-5 overall and 4-4 in the Big 12 fell considerably short of what most projected. That crummy 37-34 upset at South Florida prevented a 6-0 start prior to the visit to Oklahoma. Then the Jayhawks fell to OU, Texas Tech, Nebraska and Texas and desperately needed a romp over Minnesota in the Insight Bowl to shorten the winter.

With Sept. 5 (Northern Colorado) so near, memories of what might have been in ’08 and what the Jayhawks learned are giving rise to zeal and zip, particularly among players who feel sure they’re ready for a fiery run for supremacy in the North.

Pragmatists preach that Nebraska looms as the top deterrent for such optimism. Yet NU has to find a proven quarterback as good as the departed Joe Ganz. Defense will be the Cornhusker forte, but it’s not likely NU can come close to presenting the offensive thrust that Todd Reesing, Jake Sharp, Kerry Meier, Dezmon Briscoe and eager but unsung teammates will uncork.

As for enthusiasm, it may never have been much higher in and around Lincoln, where they jammed the stadium for a mere spring game. However, NU may miss Ganz a lot. He should have been featured a lot earlier than mid-2007. Projected starter Zac Lee, and reserves Latravis Washington, Kody Spano and Cody Green all are pretty untested.

KU is considering itself a reasonable threat on defense and it will be interesting to see if Lee is good enough to spark NU past Kansas in the Nov. 14 Lawrence game. That will be a genuine North division showdown. The winner should be delirious, the loser just plain sick.

No good reason Kansas can’t annex Northern Colorado, UTEP, Duke, Southern Miss and Iowa State, then go to Colorado and surge to 6-0. The bad news is that Oklahoma visits the next week, and Texas Tech, Kansas State, Nebraska, Texas and Missouri toughen the suicide stretch for the season. T-Tech, KSU, NU and Mizzou, maybe, but Texas has dreams of and the material for a national championship. It’s unlikely KU, for all its fire and desire, can dump OU and Texas.

First things first, mainly that Big 12 North title. Win that and all sorts of doors could open. Kansas is capable of dispatching Iowa State, Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas State and Missouri for a 5-0 North mark. The visit to Texas Tech is troubling, though.

Yet these Jayhawks know what they did in ’07, regret they didn’t do better in ’08 and are secure in the belief they’ll rule the Big 12 North. They have fond delusions of adequacy, so let’s don’t ever let them think they’re not that good.

Comments

waywardJay 10 years, 6 months ago

FOnd delusion's of adequacy..... REALLY ????

You had me until fond delusions of adequacy..... Mostly good piece Bill....

Jfanallways 10 years, 6 months ago

so maybe i read it wrong before but i didnt see ou or texas on the schedule.

Dirk Medema 10 years, 6 months ago

Note that 7-1 in 2007 was only a division title tie, not conference title tie.

(2008) Then the Jayhawks fell to OU, Texas Tech, Nebraska and Texas and desperately needed a romp over Minnesota in the Insight Bowl to shorten the winter. (?)

OU, Texas Tech, Nebraska and Texas was a bad stretch, but somehow the victory over mizzoo in Arrowhead is left out? The gophers were just stat stuffer after redeeming the season with a victory in the Border War.

Joe Ross 10 years, 6 months ago

RE: " Fond delusion's of adequacy..... really ???? You had me until fond delusions of adequacy..... Mostly good piece Bill...."

At the moment I read this I am literally slack-jawed as I marvel at the respect you think is owed to you. You dare to take a condescending tone of voice with Bill Mayer as if being awarded your approval is a trophy to be won. "Mostly good piece, Bill". Those words leave behind a dripping residue of scum on my mind that I just cant wash off fast enough.

You wrote a short-sighted blog advocating Bills firing, but if you had your druthers this piece which is "mostly good" (in your opinion) would never have seen the light of day. Lets be clear about something. It is not the goal of a columnist to pander to the readership, as if they are of one singular opinion that could be pandered to in the first place. The goal is to challenge, to move thoughts, to attempt to sway opinions, to be controversial at times, and to be provocative. Judging from the fact that a blogger who called for his firing is the first one to post beneath Mayer's article, its clear in this specific instance he has fulfilled his purpose as an effective columnist. Now that's either stupidity on the part of the blogger or genius on the part of the columnist. Fired? laughs He deserves a raise! Leastwise I can assure you he'll be kept on the payroll. (Apologies to the LJW for having exposed the rationale publicly as to why you pay Mayer so well to pen his pieces.)

And no, Im NOT so smart. Because for the life of me I can NOT understand why any sane person would click on an article if he thought its author were shabby enough to be terminated. Im missing something here, Im sure of it. You got me beat, wayward. Hands down.

Ted Toulouse 10 years, 6 months ago

In reading this, I felt like I was in 4th grade KU football basics 101, as if I haven't thought about this season at all or seen a KU football game for the last three years. There's an air in this article that is like "You guys are in a dream world, but I know better."

I don't doubt that this season will be tough. Heck, the more I read on UTEP, the more concern I have for that game, let alone OU and Texas. But, I still like the fact that we're heading into the twilight of a great senior class that will still have plenty to prove despite the accolades and successes, and we seem to play better with that chip of disrespect. I'd like to think we can be progressively better against the "big" teams. Here's to hoping that we're on our way to being considered a "big" team in the near future.

longhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

KU was a 3.5-point underdog at South Florida. In what way, then, is a 3-point loss there a "crummy upset?" I won money on KU that day, even in a loss.

TenaciousD 10 years, 6 months ago

Chill out jross. Bill Mayer has written some sad articles over the last few years. I've shared waywardj's pain in reading them. And like waywardj, even though Mayer is my least favorite reporter, I still read his articles, because avid fans want to read everything they can get their eyes on.

I agree this is a step up for Mr. Mayer. Hope he keeps moving in the direction of coherence, relevance and accuracy in his reporting.

KUFan90 10 years, 6 months ago

Good call Tenacious. Jross - normally I find myself agreeing with you, but I think your response was a little over the top. I too am scratching my head over the last line in the article. I had no issues with it and found it an interesting read, then got the dump and run with this : "They have fond delusions of adequacy, so let’s don’t ever let them think they’re not that good."

Maybe I could even accept "delusions of grandeur"...but "delusions of adequacy"? Doesn't that imply that in reality Bill thinks this team is not even adequate? Seems like an unfair slam of this team. I think this team is more that adequate...nothing delusional there. Just was a strange comment with which to wrap the article. Or maybe I'm the one that's missing something here.

justanotherfan 10 years, 6 months ago

KU Conference Schedule Iowa State @ Colorado Oklahoma @ Texas Tech @ Kansas State Nebraska @ Texas Missouri (in KC)

Nebraska Conference Schedule @ Missouri Texas Tech Iowa State @ Baylor Oklahoma @ Kansas Kansas State @ Colorado

I think the primary reason that NU is favored to win the north is the favorable schedule they drew in conference. While KU has trips to two of the four best teams in the South (with OU also visiting Lawrence), Nebraska has OU and Texas Tech at home, plus has Baylor instead of Texas. While Baylor may be much improved, they will not be contending for the national title like Texas probably will.

Both KU and NU travel to Colorado. Both get Iowa State at home. Both should also beat K-State. That's three conference wins each. KU should be able to defend home field against the Huskers, but if NU can win a home game against Tech (since they rarely lose in Lincoln, that's likely) and beat Baylor, and both KU and NU lose to Oklahoma (along with KU losses on the road to Texas and Tech, where we have never won), unless NU losses at home to MU, KU can't make up the ground. NU would be 6-2 (losses to OU and KU). KU would be 5-3 (losses to OU, Texas and Tech).

Unfortunately, that seems like the most probable scenario. We need at least one upset (either us knocking off one of those South teams, or NU stumbling at home or against a lesser team on the road) to tie NU, which would probably give us the north title (if in fact we beat NU at home, which I think we will).

Yakihawk 10 years, 6 months ago

The Texas Tech curse ends this year, big time.

Michael Auchard 10 years, 6 months ago

Not that he knows what the internet is, or probably even cares what the peons who read his articles actually think, but I've got to give Mayer this: I didn't want to puke when I read this article. This only happens about twice a year. Congrats, gramps, this is one for the books. Now, please rest on your laurels and take some time off now.

stravinsky 10 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, I liked most of the story, the "delusions of adequacy" part definitely threw me off a bit. Sort of a weird phrase to use in an article headlined "Winning North realistic for KU football."

I don't think it's the main point of a columnist to stir things up. There's a reason why although a lot of people read Jason Whitlock's columns, a lot of us also think he's sort of a pompous prick. Nor is it a lawrence paper's job to be cheerleaders. Some of Mayer's articles have been lacking a bit, I'll agree, but I do think the amount of Mayer and Keegan bashing on this board is a little excessive sometimes.

Nobody ever let jross miss his morning cup of coffee. Wow.

pitthawker 10 years, 6 months ago

Thank you Jross!!!! Thank you!!! You said it all!

waywardJay 10 years, 6 months ago

Actually, JRoss. I don't think anything is owed to me. I was giving credit where credit is due, Specifically after being such a harsh critic. Some people would call that being nice.

Mostly Good, I do believe. I do not Like the idea that we have a " fond delusion of adequacy...." That would mean, we only think we are good, the way I read it. I genuinely believe that we have the potential to be a Great Team, and saying they have great thought they might be kind decent is almost an insult. Generally the last sentence could have been left off entirely, The double negative the back half really offends, but I guess ica not not notice that sort of thing. ;) Then again, I genuinely liked the article.

I was not about silencing the voice, just getting rid of the unnecessary filler, I think probably the best thing suggested would be to give him a fan Blog. Make it extra-special and let him say what he wants to there. That way when the editor's turn the other way, he writes an atrocious article. NO ONE CARES. Instead, We have this tricky little thing called Journalistic Integrity to deal with, which is lowering standards everyday instead of raising them. In the world of 24 hour Media, alot has been thrown on the garves of literary giants the likes Cronkite, and I think it's time we start cleaning up the legacy.

waywardJay 10 years, 6 months ago

excuse me... graves* my editor checked out early today ....

waywardJay 10 years, 6 months ago

i like the jest of what you say, about the job of reporters.... there is one thing that you regretfully left out. Being Honest, which should go without saying. There was No Honesty about the previous article in question. It was a complete editorial crap heap, that ended in County probably somewhere off where he left it.

There is a reason Rush Limbaugh hasn't won major media Awards, not because he's not passionate, nor controversial. Because, sometimes... He's just plain WRONG.

I still stand by my Original Blog, and I still stand by my positive feeling towards this piece. I think that shows objectivity and an Open Mind, not sarcastic sense of entitlement. I have been waiting for the chance to comment again, specifically on his piece. But even as much of an Improvement as this piece was, It's still not to Newell's Jake Sharp Post from a couple days ago.

We as a readership should demand the best coverage we can, period.

Joe Ross 10 years, 6 months ago

Im gonna take a stab at civility here. "So help me God..."

Do you honestly think that a columnist with the richness of knowledge of KU tradition as has Mayer should be relegated to a fan blog and placed on equal footing with the likes of you and me? My vanity has its limits and I would not go so far. You may find better writers than Mayer. You may even find people with more vivid memories though that would be more of a challenge. But youd be hard-pressed to find someone who married the two any better than this man does. And you really want to give him a fan blog? REALLY?

Do you honestly find no problem comparing Cronkite who, as a news anchor, reports facts and Bill Mayer who, as a columnist, makes personal commentary? Journalistic "integrity", sir, is judged by how well the media adheres to FACTS, not OPINIONS.

Is it not true that when a columnist's audience has pluralistic viewpoints, not everyone will agree with him? Are you surprised that people dont? Would you be surprised to know that I havent always? As above, it is not nor should it be the goal of a columnist to come to consensus with his readership. You would do well to fault me for engaging in this line of questioning in the first place.

Is it not true that your diagnosis of an earlier piece as "unnecessary filler" is really more opinion than fact? Some people--and I am one but am certainly not alone--enjoy it. Call me crazy if you want to. But if you dont like the "filler" you are free not to read it, and you are certainly more than free not to rain on the parades of people who do (by suggesting his pieces be "gotten rid of").

Varied opinions are evident even in these comments. I dont begrudge that one iota. I have no big issue with how you or anyone else feels about Mayer's pieces, though if preposterous remarks are made I reserve the right to squawk. It's if and when you think your opinion should dictate whether or not Mayer should be fired, or if the portion of his articles you label as fluff should be gotten rid of, or if he should be demoted to a fan blog simply because you dont like his turns of phrase that I HAVE A PROBLEM. That kind of censorship would either curtail or completely abridge articles that some of us enjoy.

10 years, 6 months ago

justanotherfan & Yakihawk ~

While we should have won the last time we were in Lubbock, a painful come-from-ahead loss in 2004, we have won at Texas Tech before, as we did so in 2001 with a mediocre (3-8 overall) Terry Allen coached team.

David Robinett 10 years, 6 months ago

We will beat OU at home. Period.

They have never held any curse over KU, as NU used to.

I saw us beat OU with quarterbacks named, Troy Aikman and Cale Gundy.

If we had had any offense at all 4-5 years ago at Arrowhead, we woulda whupped them then, too.

justanotherfan 10 years, 6 months ago

I'm not saying we won't win the games against the south teams. My thing is that, looking at it from a non-biased point of view, it breaks down that we should win all of our home games except OU, because OU is probably going to have a better football team than we have. On the road, we should beat K-State (because we are better) and Colorado (because we are better). We should also win on a neutral field against Missouri for the same reason. However, Texas and Texas Tech should (and probably will) be favored to beat us at their place. So we need what would amount to a Vegas upset to go 6-2.

For NU, they should win their home games, too, with the exception of OU. We should be favored when the Huskers come to Lawrence. But the Huskers should be the favorites at Baylor, at Colorado and at Missouri. So they should go 6-2 unless they get upset, and if they steal the game from us here, there's almost no way we win the north.

As for beating OU, Briscoe went nuts (200-some yards and a couple touchdowns if I remember right) last year and we still lost by 14. If Briscoe has merely a pretty good game (150 yards, 1 TD) we may have gotten beat by 3 or 4 TDs. Not saying it can't be done, just putting it in perspective.

FSUJHAWK 10 years, 6 months ago

Where is JB when we need him/her?!!? :)

Anyway, I am glad to know that football season is right around the corner and I am even more enthused to learn that the Jayhawk Faithful are on the rampage celebrating their passion.

My prediction for our boys this year is that they will topple OU or UT this year and they will tie for the north division this year. Tiebreaker goes to KU! NU definitley has the easier road to the division title but our boys easily have the bigger heart and even more determination.

Go BIG BLUE!!! RCJHGKU!!!

10 years, 6 months ago

FSUJHAWK ~

The next time jaybate posts on a football article will be the first time :^)

panalytic 10 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, let's talk some more football!!

I am glad a football article was posted and can't argue with any of the logic within it. I am hoping for a big 12 north title and I have tickets for the Oklahoma game and a couple of others. Why not think we can upset OU too?? It is preseason and that is what preseason is all about.

Yakihawk 10 years, 6 months ago

txrockchalk--

I guess I'm still bitter from '04, I flew in for that game and was having the time of my life for 57% of the game, then the team left, and there were a bunch of KU uniforms watching TT players have the run of the place.

troutsee 10 years, 6 months ago

We beat TT in Lubbock under Terry Allen when a last minute hook-and-ladder worked for our winning TD.

Hawkish4bigM 10 years, 6 months ago

Hawkish4bigM 10 years, 6 months ago

Bold prediction, WE WILL BEAT OU in OUR HOUSE!

Yakihawk 10 years, 6 months ago

For those of us that have been cognisant of Jayhawk Football, since the 80's, we are in a time of greatness, we have the best staff and team of the last 20 years. MU is nothing without Maclin or Daniel, TTU is not the same team without Harrell or Crabapple, OU is inconsistent, We have guys with BIG chips in their shoulders, and lots of talent. I am going to go out on a limb and say... we are going to be the top team in the Big XII this year, no more pessimism, KU football is for real, we can beat anybody, no surprises this year, we'll see UT in the championship, after beating Mizz-I married my cousin-Zou by 17 points this fall in KC. I say let's quit talking about who we might lose to, and change it to who might be a tough game, let's change the attitude from darkhorse to the flight of the Jayhawk, circling over the midwest, looking for the next feast...

waywardJay 10 years, 6 months ago

Jross,

If that's civil, then i will match your "civility." You like History, I like history. Every movement in History started with someone standing out of line, and saying This is not right. Whether you like it or not, I am allowed a view point, and I like that view point heard. You are on the opposing side of that view point and i do not begrudge you for that, where I take a difficult turn is where you assume im for silencing a voice. I'm pretty into the first Amendment, as it is one of the last remaining rights we haven't completely gutted for the sake of Civility. I take it very personally when people accuse me of trying to censor a voice. In this case, that's the thing i want most for him. An Audience that likes his writing ( doesn't have to agree with it.... just likes what he usually represents..... He's been writing on Kusports for a long time, and I have been reading Kusports a long time. This is where i get my Hawk News, this is the bottom line for me, If im not reading it here... it's not happening. I didn't come to a conclusion upon Mayer's article from a small sampling, It's been a collective and yes...SOme of his work is pretty good, there is definetely a place for his voice.

That Sherron Artcile ;), made me ANGRY. Angry enough to not only want to go back to school for as long as it takes in Journalism to get a job and grind him over the stones with deadlines, and proper grammar ( things i have a great loathing for .....myself )... He made me not wanna be me anymore. To that extent, he gets paid to write something ( that you may like..... ) that I see as something completely wanting to give up this site..... which i cannot do. Because, I love the Hawks. So, the next logical thing i could do was voice my opinion.... that sort of writing doesn't belong on this site, which i still hold firm too.

Someone suggested him moving to a fan blog, Im not sure who it was. It makes sense to me, it is alittle cold and unserving Yes. this man has dedicated his career to KU, which i respect; Just not enough to let him ramble on forever, Jross. My only qualm with you is not respecting my dissenting opinion, which I have tried within every once of my being not to go completely overboard bashing you with it. You don't have to like it, but you don't have to call me scum and you don't have to be uncivil because you think im a Jerk. What it comes down to is this simply and plainly, If you have a better solution to this problem, that can solve this issue without just simply suggesting me ignore his work... because I don't think im Alone in saying his writing is mediocre to Poor, I would love to hear it.

Give him an exclusive Fan blog, make it pay per view, make people subscribe to it, make it whatever you need to to make him feel better that his stuff is not front banner on Kusports, because it does not benefit us consistantly as a reading public and it's not consistantly good enough to be there, in the majorities opinion.

waywardJay 10 years, 6 months ago

What better Idea do you suggest other than 35-75 percent of the audience ( based on the article that's the portion he seems to offend ) of us who are tired of his articles.....

If you cannot respect my opinion for any other reason, Respect it as my vote, not what i demand, not as what i arrogantly think i should get for reading this site...... I'm certainly not trying to shut anyone up, but i certainly would like the option for his audience to have their own outlet for him.

waywardJay 10 years, 6 months ago

Amen Yaki-Hawk. You make a very stellar point, our tones have been pretty pessimistic. We should be more confident.

troutsee 10 years, 6 months ago

We will win the B12 North......PERIOD!!!!!

Joe Ross 10 years, 6 months ago

You dont get it wayward.

First of all, you say I dont respect your opinion. You might get away with that elsewhere, but you certainly wont here I assure you. Im much more intelligent than that. If, by not agreeing with your opinion, you say I don't respect it, then you are certainly right. But in a different sense I respect your opinion insofar as I recognize your right to hold it and declare it publicly. This is where you and I part ways. I, unlike you, have never advocated removing a person from a forum simply because I found their viewpoint distasteful. Despite your protest, this is exactly what youre doing.

Im gonna hit you with a hard line here so buckle up. The very position you advocate mirrors a doomed societal construct called Separate but Equal, established by Plessy vs. Ferguson at the end of the 19th Century. Thats right, Jim Crow. You dont like something, so you set it aside and let the cohort that is like-minded be sequestered amongst themselves. You dont understand the most fundamental aspects of a pluralistic society. You basically just said openly, "Let all of you who are THAT way go over there, and all of us THIS way will be here." Your idea for moving Bill Mayer to a "fans only forum" lacks a certain maturity, wayward, but I am all-too-happy to watch you try to defend it. I am quite overjoyed that no one at the LJW would agree with you, and that Mayers articles--to your dismay--will hold their rightful place among others here. You are mired in intolerance. What better idea do I suggest? Well how long you got?

I suggest you dont go around clicking on articles you dont like. I suggest you wrestle with the idea that you dont remove yourself from an atmosphere that has viewpoints and opinions contrary to your own. Thats a breeding ground for intolerance. I suggest you educate yourself on the advantages of a pluralistic society and associating with people with whom you disagree. I suggest you stop trying to set the ground rules for what can be published where and when.

I suggest you stop giving your opponent the easy position to argue. I suggest you stop trying to hide behind what you THINK is a majority opinion, as if there is an inherent correctness in being part of the majority. In fact you dont know that yours in the majority opinion, it may be the most spoken but that doesnt mean the most widely held (perhaps the overriding hallmark of a fair minded individual who would recognize calling for authors heads is silly might also lead them to not dignifying such twisted logic with responses. I, quite obviously, am not so noble).

Joe Ross 10 years, 6 months ago

I suggest you do a 180 in your thinking and subsequently in your rhetoric. Be a proponent of Mayers remaining in the capacity that he is, and then find particular points of his with which you disagree and argue those on a case by case basis. But I suggest you cease and desist with sensationalist headlines like "Fire Bill Mayer", and I suggest you adopt reason and hold it close to your breast. I suggest you begin to appreciate what Mayer brings to the table in that it is unlike anyone else's perspective. I could go on but you see where this is going: if you dont like it, dont read it, but dont try to ruin it for everyone else.

I sincerely hope you werent the kid who stood on the playground and said, "Im taking my ball and Im going home!"

waywardJay 10 years, 6 months ago

Wow Johann.... Comparing this to Jim Crow..... and your calling ME Ridiculous..... Wow.... That's low, Johann.

IM going to need to think about this one for a while..... If i respond immediate it will be in anger.

Joe Ross 10 years, 6 months ago

You say, "that's low", but argue on the merits of what I said. You can respond now if you wish. Im looking forward to it.

Joe Ross 10 years, 6 months ago

Inasmuch as youll fail to defend your argument on the merits, you will once again make this about smoke and mirrors. Ill wait for it.

waywardJay 10 years, 6 months ago

Ok, Done thinking about it.

I am going to ignore that completely out of line comparison, it's so far beyond the pale that I don't even give it credit for existance.

Johann, How do I say this ? Your attempt to Browbeat me into submission will not work, It was not my intention to create a stir about this, I just wanted my voice heard. It's being heard clearly and thats what i wanted. I consider ANY changes In Bill's Performance in a positive way WELCOME. I wish there was a common ground, but there appears not to be, I was hoping for a peaceful conclusion to this. Furthermore, I would hope you look at yourself in the mirror, because I'm not sure any of this was necessary.

You got Angry because someone spoke out in a way that you did not agree with, and you went into this debate slinging insults, not actually thoughtful commentary. I thought we were beyond Insults that last post when you tried to hold Civility but you did not. You showed who you truly are, and that's all I can hope you see someday.

I'm done with this argument from you, infact, i'm done with you PERIOD. I'll keep doing what I do, you keep reading who you like.... and everytime i see a poor article IM going to say it. Loud and Clear, Johann.

I have no doubt you will respond to anything I write, So Let me give you this advice, I don't value your opinion. I don't respect it, I don't understand how someone who was clearly educated could be this close-minded and stupid. they say books are the key to knowledge but in this case, I think thy actually may be detracting from Our experience with you. You come off as an elitist hothead, who has a bigger temper than your actual Brain.

Good Luck in Life Man.

Joe Ross 10 years, 6 months ago

Once again. Wrong. I dont care to browbeat you into anything. Youre projecting. I want your voice heard too! Because this kind of ridiculous banter should be exposed for what it is. When you say I got "...angry because...", you put yourself in the position of being a mindreader. One of any number of a plethora of mistakes youve already made. Your omniscience is astounding!

You say my last post was insulting but Im trying to draw you in to debate on the merits. You have been silent on the issue. Once again...why is what Im saying NOT true with regard to your remarks being separatist? If I need to be educated then educate me. You say Im trying to shut you up but Im trying to do quite the opposite. Show me the error of my ways.

You say you will continue to speak on articles you find "poor". I welcome that. I assure you I will also be there to comment if you move beyond the boundaries of what is rational. And for the record, I hope you keep on speaking...

stravinsky 10 years, 6 months ago

You know how there's that rule of discussion that the first person in an argument to call the other one a Nazi automatically loses, no matter how the rest of the argument goes?

Yeah, I think comparing somebody's arguments to Jim Crow laws counts.

In effect, we all lose.

Joe Ross 10 years, 6 months ago

Fair enough, stavinsky.

For what it's worth I have no reason to think that wayward is anyone other than a productive member of society, that he is an upstanding citizen, and much less importantly that he's a true KU fan. I certainly do NOT think his comments reflect any shade of racism. But they are very clearly separatist, and therein lies the basis for the comparison.

John Randall 10 years, 6 months ago

waywardj, when that personal editor returns, please point these out:

saying they have great thought they might be kind decent double negative the back half really offends literary giants the likes Cronkite like the jest of what you say,

Now, little Johann, before you applaud, wait for my next collection of errata. You, too, deserve a place out of the shade. The 'little' is considered -- until a growth spurt my junior year of high school, I was the smallest in my class, and believe I recognize a deep seated need to demonstrate superiority at something, at anything.

troutsee 10 years, 6 months ago

The above personal banters and attacks are interesting but boring. Most of us are using this site to talk about KU football. Criticism of the LJW writers takes up space, comes across as egocentric, superior intellect, and is rude, as is criticism of the posters. Okay, so I've done the same thing. Let it end here. Peace.

KU will win the B12 North, period. Bring on football!

mandomax 10 years, 6 months ago

can't the editors shut those whiners up? I thought we were here to talk football

waywardJay 10 years, 6 months ago

Yeah at least there is that level of mutual respect.... neither one of us is calling each other a murder..... The Separatist is still quite far off, if you knew my politics you wouldn't be calling me a seperatist. We drop the issue say all is done ? Neither of us is going to convince the otherside...... now it's just annoying people.... Fair enough Ross ?

Kent Wells 10 years, 6 months ago

Can you two please STFU? At least trade e-mail addresses and take this up privately. Not that I'm trying to violate your First Ammendment right to make asses out of yourselves in a public forum, but I would prefer to have KU fans reputation as classy preserved.

This inane prattle reminds me of some old Saturday Night Live skit which ended with "Jane, you ignorant slut".

And for the record, one that suggests that they appreciate grammar, this: "and proper grammar ( things i have a great loathing for .....myself )... He made me not wanna be me anymore. To that extent, he gets paid to write something ( that"

For the future, try hitting the shift key for "i". Also, "wanna" won't show up in any dictionary that I'm aware. Next, parenthetical comments (such as this), lack spacing ( like this ). Finally, do you really loathe proper grammar as you imply? It would seem so!

NebraskaJayhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

justanotherfan has it nailed to a "t". The schedules favor Nebraska.

I don't like this article...no offense, Bill. But it sounds like you're saying Nebraska won't be as good as the media is saying they will be. Make no mistake that they are regaining their status as a Div. football program. The game between Kansas and Nebraska this year will be a dogfight.

Kent Wells 10 years, 6 months ago

OK, I've read that close a few times now and I can't decode. Can someone translate: "They have fond delusions of adequacy, so let’s don’t ever let them think they’re not that good."

Is he really saying that the team isn't even as average as they think they are? That's pretty rough on a team some mags are picking first in the north. Besides, I think Coach Mangino would have them thinking they are much better than adequate by now. Talent alone on this team would dictate more than adequate. Hell, a JUCO POTY just walked away because he couldn't get PT (yes, for reasons other than talent alone).

Rough...