Thursday, July 23, 2009

KU football picked 2nd in North by preseason media poll

Kansas head football coach Mark Mangino speaks during a press conference Tuesday, Dec. 30, 2008 at the Camelback Inn in Scotsdale, Arizona.

For the second straight year, the Kansas football team has been picked to finish second in the Big 12 North in the annual preseason media poll.

KU, with 164 points, was only behind Nebraska, which compiled 172 points. The Cornhuskers accumulated 17 first-place votes, while the Jayhawks had 12 and Missouri had three.

In the South, Texas and Oklahoma tied for the top spot with 174 points each. UT received 17 first-place votes, while OU had 15.

The complete Big 12 media preseason poll is below.

2009 Big 12 Football Media Preseason Poll

T1. Texas (17) 174
T1. Oklahoma (15) 174
3. Oklahoma State 130
4. Texas Tech 89
5. Baylor 75
6. Texas A&M; 33

(NOTE: First-place votes in parentheses)

Comments

Michael Leiker 10 years, 6 months ago

I think, unfortunately, that it's fair. You have to assume losses to OU and UT and that we lose either to TTU or NU, which would put us more than likely behind the Huskers.

But I still BELIEVE KU will win the North. This is the year, this group of seniors will not be stopped.

Ted Toulouse 10 years, 6 months ago

Ah, the motivation of a disrespected program. Can't wait!

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 6 months ago

that's perfect. because when these just before the season predictions come out....i believe (like this one) we won't be picked to win. it's really a great motivator for sure.

NU goes to KU AND MU....plus OU at home. i don't say them winning any of those three games....if we can't go 5-3, with a win vs. the Cornhuskers, then we don't deserve it.

Moo fans then will say, what about us? well, i'm counting on a win vs you as well....tee he. and if you can go 6-2, with a loss to us, then so be it.

Jim Pendleton 10 years, 6 months ago

I am in agreement with the other posts so far on this. I have always felt with our schedule that we would pretty much have to run the table in the North this year. We must take care of business at home, and find a way to win in Boulder, Manhattan, and in KC against the Tigggers.

Would be nice to steal one of the South games & I wouldn't rule it out, as our schedule is backloaded with those teams. Some wins early on, will build confidence in playing those teams later on.

Nebraska's schedule while not as hard overall, is no picnic either. I can easily see them losing at least three games, and if they have problems early on, it will make it difficult for them later in the season to win the key games, particularly on the road.

Time for my regular soap box announcement on tickets unsold. This is our year to make it happen to win the North. We need full houses for every game at Memorial Stadium this season. Still hearing ads for tickets, so let's get the rest of these seats bought up for KU fans before the red contingents of OU & NU start buying the rest. Those will be key games later in the season, and we need the crowd to be blue, not red. Let's make it happen!!! Rock Chalk!!!

10 years, 6 months ago

10 years, 6 months ago

To determine the credibility of this preseason poll, one needs look no further than the three (3) first place votes MU received.

truefan 10 years, 6 months ago

I just don't fully understand the hype around NU this year. Aren't they starting a brand new quarterback? I mean, they have returning players, but a new quarterback has to learn the offense and gain some poise on the field as well as being the hands down field general to be successful. Reesing came in his freshman year and did some big things, but he also made a few big mistakes, which I am hard pressed to remember, but they happend. I believe we can and will beat the Huskers at home this year, and their quarterback will seal that fate with an ill-advised pass or two (knock on wood). Heck, we almost beat them at their house last year and that was with them having a senior running the show. I can't wait to see how this all plays out.

NebraskaJayhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

These preseason predictions mean nothing. More football articles please! Basketball can wait a few months. I am so pumped for this season to begin. Great shot at taking the North and possibly the Big XII if this team gels and gets it going early on. Go Hawks!

Andy Tweedy 10 years, 6 months ago

Personally, I think you have to go with the 'Hawks, at least in the preseason. Nebraska has TTU at home and Baylor on the road, whereas we have Texas and TTU on the road. So assuming both lose to OU and we lose a couple other games, I really believe there is a great chance the two teams finish with the same conference record...but we have the NU game in Lawrence. To me, that's the whole season right there. We win that game, and we have the tie-breaker. Oh, and we have Todd Reesing!

mbmerriman 10 years, 6 months ago

truefan,

nebraska has a pretty solid defense, their pourous secondary from a few years ago is now all seniors and juniors. they lost all their recievers and their QB but they kept their o-line. Blake Lawrence and Suh should make big 12 first team on D. But will it matter that they have a good d when they are scoring 12 points a game?

Joe Baker 10 years, 6 months ago

We have too much experience! I think we have a chance against OU. I believe they're at Memorial. We played them pretty well in Norman ly. Like some have said, preseason means nothing.

I see the Hawks winning the North and giving the South a good run. I think they can beat OU and/or possibly Texas. I know the nay sayers will say, "no way!" But I can't ignore the Seniors and the young talent we have: Reesing, Meier and Sharp. I know the experts say OU is returning a ton of talent, but every dog has it's day. Nebraska is way overrated, the tiggers are rebuilding, Tech has lost a ton of talent, A&M won't have much...I think KU has a great shot at winning the B12 and bringing home another bowl.

RCJHKU

Michael Leiker 10 years, 6 months ago

jmills. I think from an objective standpoint you have to assume a loss to one of those two, but not two losses.

Joe Baker 10 years, 6 months ago

I'm pretty sick of OU fans thinking they have a corner on the football market, especially in the B12. They think they have dominance in the Nation every year. They scream and cry when they fail to win the NC in football and blame the officials.
They will then act like they have one good year in b-ball and they think they're a b-ball powerhouse. They go every 1-4 years in b-ball and they might have a good b-ball team and they act like they can win a b-ball NC!! If you interject any other possibilities of B12 football, you're completely nuts. They think they are a powerhouse in everything and yet their b-ball team has never won a NC!! They have a solid right to talk smack in football, but b-ball is a totally different story. They are afraid this year in football and they should be very afraid!!

kansas22 10 years, 6 months ago

Just remember this come November 14th. We need Memorial more than sold out when we play NU. Get your tickets now and don't even think about sitting down the whole game. Once you're there we need all the yelling your voice can muster. I think beating Nebraska is the difference between us winning the North and losing it this year. Oh yeah, and not that you need any more reason to go and be crazy, but it's also our last chance to cheer on KU's seniors in Lawrence. This is the last year we're going to be able to enjoy the brilliance of Todd Reesing, Kerry Meier, Darrell Stuckey, Jake Sharp, and most likely Dez Briscoe. Beat Nebraska!

Jonathan Briles 10 years, 6 months ago

Truefan93 I agree. I think that KU has a great chance to win everything. TTU lost a ton of their talent and this year our secondary is going to be better and our pass rush will be much better so I'm not worried about them at all I think that game should be a lock. NU will have an outstanding running game. They have two amazing RB and their QB is very mobile also. Their defense is going to be their strength and they probably wont score many but they are going to control the clock with their ground game so they will be difficult but I still think we are going to take that. OU and UT will be tough but we are more than good enough to steal a game from one of them. The rest of the north has some traps in it but nothing we cant handle. If this team shows up to every game and looks at every opponent like a well respected team and gives everything they have like they did in 07 then this team could pull a similar record. There is not a single game on our schedule that I'm saying "oh thats a loss" Every game is a potential loss with others being more likely but this team is talented and well led and coached. I have season tickets and I dont think I will come away from too many of those games disappointed.

Dirk Medema 10 years, 6 months ago

jmills3 - Why assume losses to TT and NU?? TT lost some key players and we get NU at home...

I agree wholeheartedly. There is a possibility of losing any game (see '08 ISU first half), but to assume a loss to very beatable teams is silly.

mbmerriman - Nebraska lost about half of their offense and defense from last year (about 6 players each) tho they are getting an '07 starter back (Lawrence?) after a year long injury. Suh could very well be the diffrence maker this year even more than he was last year. It's not good that their strength is where we are rebuilding most - middle of the line.

I think we run the table on the North and get one from the South. That should be enough to take the North, though I can also see NU possibly finishing with only 2 losses. Gotta love kansas22's observ that 11/14 is Sr Day.

RCJ

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 6 months ago

Mark it down...we will beat the Huskers in Lawrence (maybe not as bad as two years ago). So we will hold the first tie-breaker.

sdoyel 10 years, 6 months ago

KU needs to go 5-3 and beat Nebraska (at home). That enough should win the North. If the Nubbs are going to win the North, they have to beat us at our house WITH A NEW QB.

Don't see it happening.

P.S. OU lost 4, starting O-lineman. Bradford and the running game may not have the help they are used to.

Fred Davis 10 years, 6 months ago

I'm not sold that our schedule is as tough as everyone makes it out to be... Sure it would be tough if this team sucked, but it doesn't. KU has one of the best offenses in the nation returning, as well as a defense that to me, the only real question is how well will the LBs play, and can the front four get more pressure on the QB than they did last season... I think KU wins the game against Nebraska at home and goes 2-1 against OU, TT and UT... If KU is for real, they have to go 2-1 against those three... the OU game is at home, winnable, and as someone said above, TT is not going to be the same team it was last year, and don't think Big Mark and his crew haven't forgot about the Nationally Televised beatdown last year - at home - to TT, thus, that's another game KU can pull out... But it could be a loss to a Colorado that gets them, but I still think KU wins at least 9, probably 10 games heading into the Big 12 Championship as Big 12 North Champs, setting up a rematch with UT in the Championship game where anything can happen... Rock Chalk.

bossman1962 10 years, 6 months ago

i agree truefan i was at the nebraska spring game and the secondary is horrible, the linebackers are young and inexperienced and that is a recipe for disaster against a spread offense. i cant wait for the season but reesing may have his biggest as a college football player against nebraska. it could easily happen and they have QB'S who have not played at all. mizzou i think will have a tough time finishing 3rd also GO HAWKS I TRULY BELIEVE THIS IS THE YEAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!

jayhawkintx73 10 years, 6 months ago

Ganz is gone. We will have a running game this year that we didn't last year. Danger Danger for opposing defenses if Opurum lives up to his billing. He certainly has the maturity to do so, and then Deshaun Sands. With Jake Sharp? And Kale Pick, who is no longer a red shirt can also play as a flanker for some gimmick plays. And then you can get 3 guys on the field that can pass the ball and run the ball both, on top of the WR's, TE's. They have a chance to be very very very good. Briscoe returning kicks and Patterson returning Punts. Don't know if that is how its going to be, but Briscoe returning kicks worked out well. He's got the field presence about him. And Patterson, if he's the guy, he's the fastest on this team. Maybe both of them back deep for kick returns.

jayhawkboogeyman 10 years, 6 months ago

I think 6-2 with a win over NU at home will get it done. I think we run the table in the N and steal a win against either OU at home or a down-year TTU on the road. More motivation, the better. Rock chalk

waywardJay 10 years, 6 months ago

from top to bottom teams on our schedule that scare me..... conference edition

Texas Texas Tech Oklahoma Nebraska Colorado Iowa State Mizzou Kansas State

I ranked Tech Over Oklahoma because of te road game.... not because i think Oklahoma is worse than tech.....im pretty sure the kittens will be the weakest in the north..... seeing as they sent Freeman to the NFL and Booger to the CFL ( BUTT he will be back for the Kansas-Texas Game commenting on Colt McCoy's ASSets..... )

Realistically, 5-3 sounds about right.... but 7-1 looks doable also ..... would hate to see 3-5

Rivethead 10 years, 6 months ago

Coach Miller. Nobody mentioned him, which means you are all missing a big point......

Robert Greenwood 10 years, 6 months ago

Wow talk about lack of respect. But thanks! It can only help us this season.

Rivethead 10 years, 6 months ago

Ah, but trojan.....anything, and I mean ANYTHING can happen in the Big XII title game.

I remember some national media guys saying we'd be ripped to shreds by Va Tech a few years ago.......

ku_foaf 10 years, 6 months ago

This could be history. We have not had three successful seasons in a row ending in a bowl game EVER, correct?

Daniel Rojas 10 years, 6 months ago

I look at our schedule and see a 11-1 season.....maybe 10-2, with Texas beating us twice (b12 champ game). I truly believe ou is beatable in Lawrence. We got beat by some awesome offenses last year, and i guarantee Mangino won't let us or the defense get embaressed again like we did against TT and Texas last yr!......we gave games away to Neb. and South Fla. late and are riding a wave of momentum after sending those LOW RENT DEGENERATES from columbia back to mizzery with their little tiger tales tucked firmly between their legs!!!!!!!! And a huge game in arizona dominating minnesota! I got a strange feeling this could be a bigger year than the orange bowl season! Todd is SECOND TO NONE in the b12 and the country!!! Man I can't wait for the 5th of Sept.!!! I get tears in my eyes just thinking about it!!!!!!!!

Joe Baker 10 years, 6 months ago

I don't understand why people are so concerned about OU and UT. They are nothing!! We gave OU an excellent run in Norman last year. It could've been even better. I remember some plays that were questionable, but we played them pretty well. But, we have a loaded team of experience, they're hungry and they have an attitude!! Our talent is much better when compared to any team. This year the B12 is definitely up for grabs and I see KU running away with some surprises!! UT is complacent and beatable on any given day. I'm not selling our Hawks short. I think they come up real big this year...mark it down!!

Rivethead 10 years, 6 months ago

truehawk93 - I disagree that UT is complacent. UT is highly motivated this year. They feel (and rightly so, IMHO) that they got screwed last year in the Big XII south tie-breaker.

I live in Austin and that's all I hear - talk about how UT is going for revenge against the entire Big XII this year......

So when we beat them in the Big XII title game, it'll be that much sweeter.

ku_tailg8 10 years, 6 months ago

I honestly think Nebraska has us beat here. I hate to say it but come on. We will be 0-2 against Texas and OU and we still have to play NU. If we beat them we will still have to win an extra game just to draw a tie. But that won't be good enough. The only way I see this going well is if we can replace our LB's and they play like studs next year. I hate to rain on your parade but the North title goes through Lincoln even though we play them here.

waywardJay 10 years, 6 months ago

WE win our non cons, and beat the weaker conference teams.... 7-5 is a logical bet as a LOW spot....

If that is the case, we ensure three straight bowl bids which IS a record and as a low point..... pretty awesome feat..... and i like our chances in that bowl game ;)

Jonathan Briles 10 years, 6 months ago

I cannot believe the last two comments. Do you honestly think we are only going to win three conference games. Wow is all I can say to that. KSU, MU, ISU, are all but already in the win column if the team does not play like that. If the team gives respect and puts everything into it then those games are won before they are played. Then CU, TTU, and NU are all good teams but KU is honestly better this year. Those three games are going to be hard but we can honestly win all three. OU is an incredible team but their offense is hardly unstoppable. They will be great in the skills positions but will have almost a completely new line. They wont have their top two WR either. They are still a great team and they are like KU B-Ball they don't rebuild they just reload down there but I still think we can win because we are already loaded and ready to fire. In all honesty I dont believe that we will go 11-1 and I think its pushing it to hope for 10-2 but I do think they are completely in our reach and I honestly expect 9-3 from this team. NU will be tough because they will control the clock with the run but we will come out slow against their defense but I would stake anything that we come out in the second half and shred them. KU is a new team this year. They are not a power yet and are not the best team in the Big 12 but they certainly can act and play like it and when all is said and done could be holding the trophy. I expect great things.