Originally published July 22, 2009 at 10:38a.m., updated July 22, 2009 at 10:43a.m.

KU men’s basketball has Big 12 schedule released

A whopping 13 of Kansas University’s 16 Big 12 Conference men’s basketball games will be shown on major TV networks, the league announced Wednesday.

Long a favorite of ESPN, the Jayhawks in 2009-10 will play four times on ESPN Big Monday (Jan. 25 vs. Missouri, Feb. 8 at Texas, Feb. 15 at Texas A&M; and Feb. 22 vs. Oklahoma) and two other times on ESPN on Saturday (Jan. 23 at Iowa State and Jan. 30 at Kansas State).

The Jayhawks will play three times on ESPN2 (Jan. 13 at Nebraska, Jan. 20 vs. Baylor and Feb. 3 at Colorado). And KU will play twice on ESPNU (Feb. 6 vs. Nebraska and Feb. 13 vs. Iowa State).

KU will play twice on CBS (Feb. 27 at Oklahoma State and March 6 at Missouri).

The other three league games — Jan. 16 vs Texas Tech, Feb. 20 vs. Colorado and March 3 vs. Kansas State — will air on the Big 12 Network. Those three games will be available nationally on the ESPN Full Court package.

Adding in the nonconference slate, which was recently released, KU will play on three CBS, nine ESPN, five ESPN2, two ESPNU and one Fox Sport Network telecasts.

“It’s been our goal to get every game on some form of national TV,” KU senior associate athletic director Larry Keating said. “It obviously helps when the team is as highly ranked as it is.”

KU is expected to be everybody’s preseason No. 1 this season.

“We like the fact our alums across the country can have access to every single game through the networks or Full Court package,” Keating added.

As far as the order of the Big 12 schedule, KU opens on Jan. 13 at Nebraska and follows with a pair of home contests against South teams Texas Tech (Jan. 16) and Baylor (Jan. 20).

The schedule will conclude with a home game against Oklahoma on Feb. 22, a trip to Oklahoma State on Feb. 27, a home game against Kansas State on Senior Night (March 3) and finale on March 6 at Missouri.

“That’s a function of TV selecting good games at the end of the season,” Keating said. “We look forward to a great season. I think it works out fine.”

Notes: There are still three KU games that could be picked up by the ESPN family or will appear on J-TV. Those games include Dec. 9 vs. Radford, Dec. 29 vs. Belmont and Jan. 5 vs. Cornell. … KU will play 14 games against 2009 NCAA Tournament teams. … After hosting Hofstra in the season opener Nov. 13 on Jayhawk-TV, KU’s first game away from home will be a Hall of Fame Showcase battle against Memphis Nov. 17 at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis. It is the first meeting between the two teams since KU defeated the Tigers, 75-68, in overtime to win the 2008 NCAA Championship … The Hall of Fame has not yet set opponents for KU’s three home games in the Classic. It previously has been reported that Tennessee Tech, Oakland and Central Arkansas are the likely foes. … KU will meet UCLA in the Big 12/Pac 10 Hardwood Series Dec. 6 at Pauley Pavilion in Los Angeles on Fox Sports Network. UCLA won the last matchup with Kansas, 68-55, in the 2007 NCAA Tournament Elite Eight. … Other highlighted nonconference contests include Dec. 12 against LaSalle at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo., as well as home games against Michigan (Dec. 19) and California (Dec. 22) and trips to Tennessee (Jan. 10) and Temple (Jan. 2).

The full Big 12 schedule is shown below.

2009-10 KU men's basketball Big 12 schedule

Jan. 13 — at Nebraska (ESPN2), 8 p.m.

Jan. 16 — TEXAS TECH (Big 12), 12:30 p.m.

Jan. 20 — BAYLOR (ESPN2), 8 p.m.

Jan. 23 — at Iowa State (ESPN), 3 p.m.

Jan. 25 — MISSOURI (ESPN), 8 p.m.

Jan. 30 — at Kansas State (ESPN), 6 p.m.

Feb. 3 — at Colorado (ESPN2), 8 p.m.

Feb. 6 — NEBRASKA (ESPNU), 5 p.m.

Feb. 8 — at Texas (ESPN), 8 p.m.

Feb. 13 — IOWA STATE (ESPNU), 7 p.m.

Feb. 15 — at Texas A&M; (ESPN), 8 p.m.

Feb. 20 — COLORADO (Big 12), 3 p.m.

Feb. 22 — OKLAHOMA (ESPN), 8 p.m.

Feb. 27 — at Oklahoma State (CBS), 3 p.m.

March 3 — KANSAS STATE (Big 12), 7 p.m.

March 6 — at Missouri (CBS), 1 p.m.

Comments

jakejayhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

I remember Coach Williams used to take advantage of our ESPN Big Monday broadcasts by recruiting the West Coast. He stated that those broadcasts hit high schoolers just as they were getting home from practice and it led a lot of them to find KU attractive. I haven't heard the same from Coach Self. Wonder if it is still true, or if it is insignificant since Self seems to see the whole country as one big recruiting base, whereas Williams tended to look more west of the Mississippi?

David Reed 10 years, 6 months ago

over/under 30 points for SC on Senior night vs KSU

TxJyHwk 10 years, 6 months ago

Why can't we ever get a Saturday game in Texas? Makes it hard for those of us that work in Texas to see games!!!

justanotherfan 10 years, 6 months ago

I think Williams used that as part of his reasoning for why he didn't recruit east of the Mississippi more aggressively, since the Big XII game comes on at 9pm Eastern and won't wrap up until 11 or later.

Still, most high school kids I know don't get tucked in by their parents before 10...

Also, I think Self has proven with the Morris twins, Q Thomas, Tyshawn, Thomas Robinson, along with RussRob (NY) and Kaun (FL) that KU can recruit the east coast. It was a decision on Coach Williams part that he did not recruit that part of the country, and that may have cost us some great players (and maybe a title).

Joe Ross 10 years, 6 months ago

Looks like a favorable schedule. The at-Texas game could be a hiccup. Anyone see any trap games?

DCJayhawk0208 10 years, 6 months ago

I'm worried about all three Big Monday games. Texas and Oklahoma on two days rest? Seriously?

Ann Oneill 10 years, 6 months ago

Playing the CU game in Boulder on a Wednesday night is a crock of %$#@&%%^. How are we supposed to pack the stands on a weeknight? CU must have had a hand in scheduling that, but they'll be losing revenue by not playing on a Saturday.

Joe Baker 10 years, 6 months ago

DCJayhawk0208 (anonymous) says... I'm worried about all three Big Monday games. Texas and Oklahoma on two days rest?

It will be a great test for the dance!! I don't see any problem with this schedule. Let's not back pedal on the schedule. We haven't even seen them play yet. They'll be ready to take on the schedule.

RCJHKU

Topcitykid10 10 years, 6 months ago

I'm wondering why KU isn’t scheduled for one of those Saturday night games on ESPN where ESPN gameday comes for the whole day. I think the OU game or Missouri game would work perfect. But I’m sure there is a Syracuse vs. Pitt or Uconn vs. Pitt or Maryland vs. Clemson or a blah blah blah ACC game.

phihawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Any idea who's going to fill in the TBA spots in November?

Greg Lux 10 years, 6 months ago

I am not worried about the Big Monday games with 2 days rest ... We have two teams of 6 players who would be ranked in the top 20 nationally in my opinion. Play one on saturday and the other on monday... :P

Trace Stark 10 years, 6 months ago

Rock Chalk!!! Looking forward to fizzou being incinerated on Senior Day!!!

Michael Leiker 10 years, 6 months ago

Why the concern about 2 days rest? Pretty sure the other guys have 2 days rest as well and I'll take a HCBS team on 2 days rest over a Capel or Barnes coached team on 2 days rest any day.

Rock_Chalk_NYC 10 years, 6 months ago

Roy didn't recruit east of the Mississippi out of loyalty to UNC. He stated that several times.

That being the case he did use Big Monday to KU and his advantage as was previously said.

Nonetheless, this ridiculous reason for not recruiting didn't hurt us terribly as we always did get great recruiting under Roy.

So, so, so happy to have Bill Self! The entire US can be Rock Chalk Land!

Rock Chalk!

10 years, 6 months ago

TxJyHwk ~

I feel your pain. I was at least able to make it down for the aTm game on a Saturday during the '07-'08 season.

leikness ~

Where have you been all these months? Good to see you back on here as football season draws nigh...

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 6 months ago

Doesn't appear to be any reason to foot the bill for Full Court this year!!!

10 years, 6 months ago

jayhawkinatl ~

We still may need Full Court for the non-conference games not being nationally televised, and the games listed above with "(Big 12)" noted as the network provider. Granted, that may only be a handful of games total, but it’s probably cheaper than going to a sports bar to watch them

rockchalk10jk 10 years, 6 months ago

no need for full court espn 360 has almost all the games. i live in northern indiana and i saw almost every single ku game unfortunately the quality is not great but i would rather do that than pay for it. im liking the schedule but i never feel comfortable when ku plays at texas.

10 years, 6 months ago

rockchalk10jk ~

ESPN 360 availability is based on your internet service provider, and not all ISPs offer it.

KUPROUD 10 years, 6 months ago

Good schedule to get ready for March madness. Having just moved out of state, but within 50 miles of southeast Kansas, I'm hoping to pick up a channel for the Big 12 network games and nonconference games. If not, I'll have to go to plan B and purchase the full court. But it's worth it. RockChalk.

Michael Leiker 10 years, 6 months ago

Thanks Tex...good to be back. Gonna be a fun year I think.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 6 months ago

You are correct, txrockchalk. If you subscribe to Comcast, ESPN360 is not available.

jayhawkboogeyman 10 years, 6 months ago

We play fairly weak teams at home the Sat before the 3 tough Big Mondays, so I would hope we can take csre of business early and get Sherron, Cole, Tyshawn, and other starters 10_15 mins off in the second half. It should set up well.

yovoy 10 years, 6 months ago

we didn't always get great recruiting before. we had decent recruiting, and i commend the job he did when he first got here. he took a team on probation and got them to the ff w/in 2 or 3 years. he did that w/ guys w/ 'heart'. he did it w/ the type of guy that the coudn't/wouldn't recruit later.

how many teams west of the mississippi have won the nc in the last 30? 6 i think (ark, ku, unlv, ucla, 'zona), and we did it twice. twice w/out mr. "i-don't-generally-recruit-east-of-the-miss'sip-but-i'll spit-in-it". coach before him 1, coach after him 1. "too many states to pass over" my eye! suresuresure, we got to the ff a few times. did he capitalize on that as far as recruiting goes? i think he did wonders in his system, and he knew what kind of players he was after, but his recruiting was generally like his teams - soft. i believe that's why he and drew were at odds a little bit. he wasn't a "typical" recruit. do you think 'melo would've thought about coming here under prev coach (even if coach had recruited him)? do you think he'd've listened to ourSelf? who would you rather have recruiting? i can also guess that ku wouldn't have won an nc w/ 'melo. he'd only have been allowed to carry the team to the tune of 15 ppg or so (instead of the 20 ppg he had in the dance that year). he did recruit chris webber, btw, but that was when he wasn't "above" that.

he recruited half the country, and the "empty" half (pop density speaking) at that. pretty half-a....

mjlindsm 10 years, 6 months ago

How on earth is there no GameDay game?! I bet this is the first time since they started doing College GameDay for basketball that the preseason #1 is not scheduled for a GameDay game. What a load of HCBS! (minus the HC)

yovoy 10 years, 6 months ago

i was wondering the same.

we ought to start asking (emailing) espn about that.

Timmay97 10 years, 6 months ago

I'm obsessed with KU basketball, but it does tick me off knowing I'm gonna have to pay $150 for the ESPN Full Court package for only around 7-8 games. And 6 of those games will probably be in Nov. and Dec. I think it's great that KU is getting a ton of exposure since they will be a top ranked team, but I feel it comes at a cost for me. Either way, I'll man up and take the expense.

On the bright side though.......it's not ALWAYS about KU. As much as I hate to say it, I enjoyed every minute of watching K-State beating Texas last year. Though OU was our stiffest competition for the Big 12 title, Texas was still playing well up to that point and then fell out of the race.

I doubt I will get my monies worth.....but I will get at least half. Not being able to watch KU at the beginning of the year would destroy me.

NH_JHawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Timmay97 -

Unless I'm unaware of a major price increase, ESPN Full Court only costs $99. At least that's was the full season price last year. If memory serves correctly, Full Court provided access to roughly 9 or 10 games. $10 is a pretty decent price to pay IMO...not too mention the added value of having access to hundreds of other games from other conferences. If you're a fan of college basketball then ESPN Full Court is a great value!

jwel2nd 10 years, 6 months ago

capnwacky 10 years, 6 months ago

Calling games carried on ESPN Full-Court "Nationally Televised" is a joke.

Jayhawks09 10 years, 6 months ago

Roy didn't recruit east of the Mississippi because he was didn't want to bother UNC

Hawkaholic22 10 years, 6 months ago

Good call Jayhawks09. I'm Liking this schedule, except at Texas will be our toughest game of the year. What trap games do you guys see? Maybe at Ok state???

justanotherfan 10 years, 6 months ago

Don't overlook the road game at Tennessee. They should be solid (if not spectacular) and they are pretty tough at home. It's also the last non-con game, so it could be a danger game.

In conference, the biggest trap game I see is the trip to Ames on Jan. 23 before the Big Monday game at home against Mizzou. That game seems to have warning signs on it.

Good call on the Oklahoma State road trip sandwiched between OU, Mizzou and K-State. That's a definite trap game.

I'm also wary of the Texas A&M game on Feb 15. It's pretty late in the conference season, about the time that the potential for a let down may occur, especially since 3 of our last four games are against either rivals or big time opponents. It's only a week after a likely epic against Texas, too, so there is some danger there.

I'd also be wary of the trips to Temple (we never seem to play well in Philly for some reason) and UCLA (because they will be pretty fired up to defend their home court).

Overall though, I think we are looking at fewer than 5 losses on this schedule. Probably only 1 or 2 pre-conference, and we shouldn't lose more than a 2 or 3 conference games. I doubt we go undefeated in conference because only 1 team has gone through Big XII play unbeaten (2001-2002 KU Final Four team). Even the 07-08 Champs lost 3 conference games.

And of course, I don't plan on losing AT ALL come March.

KUFan90 10 years, 6 months ago

I think ESPN Game Day selects which Saturdays to do their thing later on as the season approaches. Sometimes they will even change the time of a previously scheduled game. I'm sure we will get the gameday crew in one of those Saturdays.

Trap game : maybe at Iowa State? Might the team be looking forward to MU at home on Big Monday and overlook the Saturday game beforehand? Craig Brackins goes off for 40 plus again and Hilton magic sneaks up on us? I still think we'll win but that might be the strongest "trap" game where we might be looking ahead to the next one.

jayhawkboogeyman 10 years, 6 months ago

I just noticed, but it is kind of a bummer for Sherron that senior night is one of the few games not on a nation tv date.

ku_foaf 10 years, 6 months ago

I hate ending the year at Missouri ...

PittsburghJayhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

jayhawkinatl,

Comcast settled their dispute with ESPN/ABC/Disney/whoeverthef#%k and ESPN360 will be available starting Aug 4. ESPNU will also be added to their cable service, so now I should be able to watch every game at home except the ones on Can't Broadcast Sports.

jerhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

amen to jakejayhawk, i think roy leaving was a jewel, ku is stronger than ever in all sports. rock chalk jayhawk

jerhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

kudos to those who are wary of games! i think sherron and the rest of the ' boys' are tough, and it will take focus on every game to get the big prize! rock chalk jayhawk