Originally published July 21, 2009 at 04:20p.m., updated July 21, 2009 at 10:51p.m.

Kansas football releases 2011 schedule

A road non-conference game against Georgia Tech and home games against UTEP and Northern Illinois have been set as part of the Kansas football team's 2011 schedule, which was released Tuesday.

KU's matchup against Northern Illinois will be the first in a home-and-home series, meaning the Jayhawks will play in DeKalb, Ill., in 2012.

"Getting a home-and-home series with a BCS conference opponent has been a priority since I came to NIU a year ago," NIU athletic director Jeff Compher said in a release. "We know what it means to our fan base to have Kansas come to DeKalb, and this series is something that has been in the works for several months.

"We appreciate the willingness of (KU athletic director) Lew Perkins and his staff to work with us on these games. It's always a challenge, knowing that we have to schedule our non-conference opponents many years out, but this is a scheduling philosophy (home-and-home series) that we want to continue over time."

The Jayhawks will open Big 12 play in 2011 with a home game against Baylor. KU also will play Big 12 South teams Texas A&M and Oklahoma State as part of its schedule rotation.

KU's season-opening opponent in 2011 still has not been determined.

The 2011 schedule is shown below.

2011 KU Football Schedule

Sept. 3 — TBA
Sept. 10 — NORTHERN ILLINOIS
Sept. 17 — at Georgia Tech
Sept. 24 — UTEP
Oct. 1 — *BAYLOR
Oct. 15 — *at Kansas State
Oct. 22 — *at Texas A&M
Oct. 29 — *IOWA STATE
Nov. 5 — *at Colorado
Nov. 12 — *NEBRASKA
Nov. 19 — *at Oklahoma State
Nov. 26 — *vs. Missouri (at Kansas City, Mo.)

* — Big 12 conference game

Comments

William James 5 years, 4 months ago

Okay, so are we not doing a return game with Duke I take it?
I love having the bye week before the game at KSU. We had bye weeks before we played KSU in 06 and 07, and both times it worked out great. The September 3d game will be a 1-AA school. No matter what, I will be in College Station, TX on October 22, 2011 assuming I'm still alive. Best atmosphere in college football.

vmwskywalk 5 years, 4 months ago

fabio - sometimes they will do the home-and-home series on non-consecutive years. I think Duke will show up in 2012 or 2013. However, that is just a guess.

William James 5 years, 4 months ago

I hope so, I've been looking forward to making a trip to Durham. It's always fun watching KU beat Duke.

bangaranggerg 5 years, 4 months ago

I'm looking forward to the home and home with Northern Illinois, but as a season ticket holder that list of home games is not exciting at all. Also, is it normal for BCS schools (especially the number one in merchandise sales) to do home and homes with MAAC schools?

Kevin Long 5 years, 4 months ago

That G-Tech game will be tough, but I like it!

waywardJay 5 years, 4 months ago

Let's hope w see alot of Kale PIck this year in Mop up action... WE will need him comfortable back there in 1 A.T.

jayhawkinATL 5 years, 4 months ago

Yes, the GT games will be tough. Man, I do not want to hear crap from any of my GT co-workers!!!

Scott Smetana 5 years, 4 months ago

No OU or Texas. Wow, I wish this could have been this year's schedule.

Dirk Medema 5 years, 4 months ago

WaywardJay - That is just about top of the list in my book. Hopefully, some receivers not named Meier, Briscoe, Wilson will themselves to be competent as well.

The article has been corrected. OSU, BU, A&M in '10 & '11. OU, TTech, Texas in '09, '12 & '13 Repeat

Hopefully, we're getting past the days of scheduling even one 1-AA. It would be nice to at least see it be a BCS conf school. Not that it needs to be a powerhouse, but let's get past the total cupcake mentality - especially in the weak South split years.

Rivethead 5 years, 4 months ago

That Baylor game will be really tough. Robert Griffin Jr will be a Junior.....assuming he doesn't leave school to go practice for the Olympics full-time.

minipman 5 years, 4 months ago

i would like to see KU play an SEC team relatively soon.. mayb auburn or kentucky

Dr. Robert s. Mosser 3 years, 11 months ago

KU schedule has us playing Nebraska on 12 November. Nebraska thinks they are playing Penn State that day.

What's with the new schedule now that Nebraska and Colorado have defected for weaker conferences. Colorado probably is taking over Washington State's place as the Pac-?? patsy.