Thursday, July 16, 2009

Taylor steps up after shaky start, leads U.S. to gold medal

KU guard Tyshawn Taylor is planning to show off his internationally-honed game this fall in Lawrence.

Taylor, McCray claim gold medals

Kansas University basketball players Tyshawn Taylor and Danielle McCray each earned some new jewelery in international competition.

photo

Tyshawn Taylor and Danielle McCray were part of a presser on Wednesday at Hadl Auditorium showing off their gold medals they won at this summer's World Championships.

Tyshawn Taylor isn’t ready to give up his hopes of wearing a headband during Kansas University basketball games.

“Me and coach (Bill) Self have gotta talk,” the KU sophomore-to-be said with a grin. “I played good with it.”

The 6-foot-3 guard from Jersey City, N.J., did impress with the extra accessory during the U-19 FIBA World Championships in Auckland, New Zealand, averaging a team-high 10.8 points, 4.4 assists and 1.8 steals in eight games.

But will his strong stats be enough to convince his coach that a headband might bring improved play?

“Coach (Joe) Dooley doesn’t like the idea, but coach (Kurtis) T. (Townsend) said it was cool,” Taylor said. “So I’m going to have coach T. help me out.”

Headbands aside, Taylor said he came out of the experience as an improved player.

Team USA finished the tournament 9-0 and won the gold for the first time in the U-19 event since 1991.

Taylor, meanwhile, was named to the five-person all-tournament team.

“I think a lot of people were surprised, but I wasn’t really surprised at myself,” Taylor said. “I think I had the confidence before.”

Taylor led his team with 18 points in an 88-80 victory over Greece in the championship game.

Though he was one of the main offensive threats for the United States team, Taylor said he didn’t change his style of play.

“I don’t think I was looking for my shot that much there,” Taylor said. “I just think I was being aggressive and seeing what the defense was giving me. I think I always do that. If my shots come, then I’m going to take them.”

Taylor’s best basketball didn’t come until the later rounds after struggling in the Puerto Rico game.

Though he was facing former high school teammates Michael Rosario and Jiovanny Fontan, Taylor admitted that he “got a little bit arrogant” after playing well in the previous game.

“I knew we were going to beat Puerto Rico, so I was kind of goofing off in the layup line,” Taylor said. “Then I came out in the game, and I wasn’t really playing good. It was just one of those games, I guess.”

At one point, a frustrated coach Jamie Dixon even challenged Taylor to play harder.

“We had some words because I wasn’t playing good and he was yelling at me and I was getting frustrated,” Taylor said.

The KU guard finished with eight points and five assists but made just four of 13 shots.

Taylor picked up his play after that, scoring a team-high 13 points in the next game against Lithuania. He averaged 12.5 points and 5.0 assists in his final four games.

“I had real good games because I was real focused and not playing around so much and not taking the games for granted like I did that (Puerto Rico) game,” Taylor said.

Perhaps the toughest part of the trip for Taylor was the travel. His flight from California to Australia was 15 hours long.

“I was going crazy,” Taylor said. “I had a crying baby next to me the whole way. He cried the whole way. It was the worst.”

His trip back to the States wasn’t much better. Though he’d been given sleeping pills by a doctor, Taylor was so excited to get back that he wasn’t able to sleep.

He also had a bad experience at a New Zealand McDonald’s when he asked for a double-cheeseburger with only ketchup.

“So the guy gives me a bun with two pieces of cheese and only ketchup, no meat,” Taylor said. “And I was mad, so mad.”

Taylor said that the limited food choices had caused him to lose “a couple pounds that I don’t need to be losing.”

He guessed that the coaches would have him back into the normal training and lifting routine by the end of the week.

As for the headband, Taylor said he wasn’t ready to give up the fight just yet.

He wasn’t allowed to wear one in high school, and Self also shot down the idea when Taylor brought it up last season.

“My teammates, they said they think I should wear it, too,” Taylor said with a grin. “So I’m going to put a petition together or something — see what he says.”

Comments

waywardJay 10 years, 6 months ago

If the headband is that big of a deal Tyshawn.... You have my support, while your at it.... Can I get you to let Brady Start until you prove your a 50 percdent 3 point shooter ???? I'll accpet that as a trade for wearing the headband ......

Chicago_JHawk 10 years, 6 months ago

When did Self change his tune on headbands? Giddens used to wear one all the time, as did Miles from time to time.

nicka 10 years, 6 months ago

waywardjay....

are you serious? morningstar might as well redshirt again this season.

phogthedog 10 years, 6 months ago

Nice picture of BOTH athletes who won gold medals this summer. Too bad the article focused solely on Tyshawn.

sevenyearhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

phog, D-Mac has had a bit of press already ...

if anyone should be complaining, it should be Tyshawn for having to share the spotlight.

I wonder if this feat has ever been accomplished before: simultaneous men's and women's gold medals?

Here's to hoping that they bring them both out at Late Night or the Oklahoma game!

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 6 months ago

I know that superstitions and sports have had a long history together. Yes, there are rally hats, wearing the same socks every game, changing shoes at halftime, etc.

Personally, I'm a purist. The uniform is just that - uniform for each and every member of the team. Unless there is a specific purpose of anything additional, like a knee brace, elbow/arm protection, etc. It shouldn't be permitted. Self expression should be encouraged throuh athlectic prowess, not fashion.

Let's spin this one-

If he hadn't worn the headband:

Meat on his cheeseburger.

Wouldn't have gotten sick on the trip.

Would have been able to sleep on the plane trip.

Wouldn't have lost weight because of food options.

Wouldn't have gotten "arrogant" with his former teamates.

Be strong Bill. Your superstition against headbands trumps any one player's in my book!

Rivethead 10 years, 6 months ago

I think Coach Self should let the kid wear the headband - as long as he agrees to take (or re-take) English 101 and actually learn something.

jchief40 10 years, 6 months ago

Self let Miles wear a headband I am pretty sure.. also Self's Illinois teams had players wearing head bands.. when in the heck did that change? DOOLEY!!

Tony Bandle 10 years, 6 months ago

Bulletin from St.Louis...

local sportscasters are spreading a rumor that Bill Self wears a toupee. If he does, it's a fantastic one. Note, one of the guys was the idiot who founded the Antlers, so take that for what it's worth.

If it's true, all headgear should be fair game then!!!

KUBlue0809 10 years, 6 months ago

Taylor, Congrats on the U-19 Championshion and honors, but lets keep the basketball team clean-cut....take off the silly headband, we don't want our school looking like Syracuse, Cincinnati and other thug institutions. Rock Chalk

Sam Burns 10 years, 6 months ago

Congrats TT. I hope the medal will be on display for the season. I know I'll be lookin'.

waywardJay 10 years, 6 months ago

Nicka- DEAD SERIOUS. i want an intangibles man in the starting 5 other than Cole. We almost have to start X ready or not, and as good as Sherron and Marcus will be.... I want a Christian Moody on the floor to make the unselfish pass ( even if its incredibly slow )..... Also, good defense and great basketball IQ guy....

We've had this debate before, I still side with Tyshawn playing the Sherron role from 2 years ago..... HUGE IMPACT of the bench....

As for headbands, He wants to wear a headband all he has to do is grow a big bushy Wallace-Fro.... you can't HELP but wear a head band then..... PLus, as Old School kind of Guy Tyshawn seems to be.... It would be classy with him in the Bushy-Fro High Socks combination..... but style is overrated.

Lindsey Buscher 10 years, 6 months ago

Good God let the kid wear a headband if he wants.

KCJHawk08 10 years, 6 months ago

Oakville -

I'm pretty sure coach Self does wear a piece. Haven't you ever noticed his nervous tick during games where he is constantly patting down his hair on the back of his head? That's the area where the fake hair meets the real hair. My old man used to wear a really good one for years and nobody could ever tell, either. I was with him at his barber one day and they were talking about how they could both tell that Self was wearing one, though.

BabyJayBate 10 years, 6 months ago

I thought it was common knowledge that Self wears a hair piece. It is a damn good one. You should check out pictures of when he was a grad assisstant here under Larry (if you can find any). He was already balding back then. I will see if I can find any and post the link.

BabyJayBate 10 years, 6 months ago

wayward-

Tyshawn will start. There is no question about it. If anybody takes his job it will be CJ not Brady. Only reason Sherron didnt start two years ago, is because he had Mario and Russel in front of him. Brady is not quite the caliber of player like Mario or Russel to keep Tyshawn on the bench. Don't get me wrong, Brady is a solid player, but he dissappeared in big game situations last year. He very rarely made any "big" shots in games down the stretch. Tyshawn has too much upside, and anybody leading their team to gold in an international competition while scoring 10 pts a game is not going to be sitting on the bench behind Brady. Sorry to burst your bubble, but it ain't happening.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 6 months ago

Here is a great article I read on www.cnnsi.com by Seth Davis. Jaybate and I have had many conversations in the past about this subject and I found it only fitting that this article covered a majority of the things that we have discussed in the past. It really is amazing how not only the basketball scholarship, but all college athletic scholoarships are misperceived. Everyone thinks it's a 4 year scholarship, but it really is only a 1 year renewable contract by both the coach and athletic director of that university or college. Academics are good for 4 years, but when you make a commitment as a 17 or 18 year old, most families of that amature athlete are thinking "4 years" in that respective program. Especially when coaches and assitant coaches will come into your living room and look you straight in the eye and say, "We can't wait to have you part of our basketball program for 4 years". LOL! What a load of crap! Anyway, here is the link to that article by Seth Davis.

Keith Kienzle 10 years, 6 months ago

There is no way Bill wears a hair piece. If anything, he's had hair implants... You can't make a toupee look like this. You can see the roots up front.

BabyJayBate 10 years, 6 months ago

approx-

That picture proves nothing. You can't see the roots up front. Just trust me, he has a hair piece. As KCJHawk said watch his nervous twitch when he thinks the hair piece is flipping up in the back.

justanotherfan 10 years, 6 months ago

For next year's starters and rotation, I think people need to understand something. There is a very real possibility that when Coach Self trims his rotation to eight or nine (And it will be trimmed to 8 or 9, look at every team he has coached - the minutes drop off significantly after either the eighth or ninth guy), some of the guys that played significant roles last year will be on the outside looking in.

We already know that, barring injury, the following players are going to be in the rotation - Collins, Aldrich, X. Henry. Collins and Aldrich because they are our best two returning players (by quite a bit) and X. Henry because he may prove to be the best player on this team by the time everything is said and done. So that leaves five or six spots in the rotation up for grabs.

Of those five or six spots, at least two (probably 3) will be for big guys. Scanning the roster, that means the Morris twins, Thomas Robinson and Jeff Withey (once eligible) are vying for at least two spots, possibly three. Generally, Self has rotated four bigs, with one playing about 25 or so minutes, two getting about 20 and the other getting about 15 or less. We know Aldrich will get about 25 (maybe more). One of the Morris's will likely be in the 20 mpg spot. Perhaps the other Morris or Withey grabs the other 20 mpg spot. Thomas Robinson will compete for the other 15 with either a Morris twin or Withey. Whichever of the bigs doesn't get that 15 mpg slot will fall into the Q Thomas, Darnell Jackson as a freshman role - 5-7 mpg.

That leaves three perimeter spots, one of which absolutely has to go to a guy that can be a primary ball handler. Looking down the roster again, I see maybe three guys that fit that bill - Tyshawn, Elijah Johnson and maybe CJ Henry (although with so much time away from competitive basketball, that's questionable). So either Tyshawn or EJ is in the rotation already. The other goes into a group of players that includes CJ Henry, Mario Little, Brady, Tyrel, and Travis Releford, fighting for (at most) two spots in the rotation. That's six guys fighting for 30 mpg (or less) of playing time that will be split (at most) two ways. As much as I admire Brady's grit and hard hat mentality, and as much as I like Tyrel's shooting, I'm not sure either emerges from that group. You have to like Mario Little's chances once he gets healthy, and Elijah Johnson may be the best athlete on the team. CJ Henry was a 26 ppg scorer in high school.

My guess for the lineup and rotation? Starters:

PG - Collins G - Taylor SF - X. Henry PF - Mc. Morris C - Aldrich

Bench: G - Johnson G/F - Little F - Mk. Morris F - Withey (once eligible, before that, Thomas Robinson will have a chance to impress and maybe steal this spot in the rotation).

kvskubball 10 years, 6 months ago

Personally, I don't care whether himSELF wears a hair piece or not. Hair is over-rated and high maintenance to boot. The guy can coach and that's what is important to me as a KU basketball fan.

A more important QUESTION (To me, anyway):

Is KU the only college with a men's and women's basketball gold from this summer's world games?

BabyJayBate 10 years, 6 months ago

justanotherfan-

great post...

I think you might see some decent playing time for Brady and Tyrel early on in the season, but once big 12 play rolls around the rotation will be thinner, and there are just too many athletes on this team for Brady or Tyrel to see any kind of extended minutes on the court. If EJ and CJ buy in to the system and continually improve throughout the year they will be much more valuable then either Brady or Tyrel. Brady and Tyrel will definitely make this team better, but they will do most of their work on the practice court.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 6 months ago

Not so fast there, kvskuball. How many bald head coaches not named Tarkanian or Rupp can you name that were in the elite class???

The appearance of youth and vitality may be secondary to fans but may take on a different persona for recruits and players. If your theory is correct, why would anyone bother?

Take a look at that mop on Coach K or Denny Crum, for instance.

Sure Norm Stewart was bald but I am having trouble combining Norm and the word elite in the same sentence, unless it's something like " Norm Stewart was kicked out of another elite restaurant last night." :-}

truefan 10 years, 6 months ago

I don't know what Coach Self plans on doing with the rotation. The good news is, we had this same problem in 2008, the bad news is that a few players had to be cheerleaders for large portions of many games.

If recruits have problems with sitting on the bench behind better players then they only have to look at Aldrich for a success story. He took part in that title run, yes, but he played far fewer minutes than our other bigs. He turned out to be a beast once he had another off season training session under his belt. The other players could (possibly) get a ring and imporve their skills in the mean time and then play a starting role the next season after Sherron, X, Aldrich, and possible another player leaves.

Self awards minutes to players who work hard to improve (see the Darnell Jackson story) players just have to wait their turn to shine sometimes. I understand the frustration that many of our players feel because they would be starting at other programs like Missouri, or K-State, but those programs don't give you the chance to be a champion like KU does.

Marcia Parsons 10 years, 6 months ago

I've noticed that habit of Self's to smooth down the back of his hair. My brother has a cowlick in that precise location, and he does the same thing trying to get it to lay flat. I've noticed his hair curls up there, and I can't imagine a toupee with natural curl.

tis4tim 10 years, 6 months ago

Oakville said:

"The appearance of youth and vitality may be secondary to fans but may take on a different persona for recruits and players...Take a look at that mop on Coach K or Denny Crum, for instance."

You are dead on with that observance. It is the same for almost any modern workplace. Thus, the rise of the metrosexual.

BTW, how about Gene Keady's cranial disaster as support of your theory? I don't even think he could fool himself with that.

kvskubball 10 years, 6 months ago

Oak and tis...

I agree that much of the world concerns themselves with form over function and many idolize youth, but their aren't many wise young'uns. Appearance, vitality, and beauty are often more important than how well a person's gray matter works, or what kind of personality a person has. I'll say it again, I'll take a person who can do their job over one who everyone thinks must be able to based on their looks.

I think Coach Self's ability and personality should be more important than whether or not he has hair on his head, chin, or oysters. I guess I'll always be in the minority on this one. (Smiling)

kvskubball 10 years, 6 months ago

kushaw,

That was a great article. I thought it was interesting that the LOI isn't a requirement, though it often seems to be presented by coaches as such. And from the article I can see why coaches portray it as such, because once an athlete signs one, the coach and school have the athlete over a barrel. Though most coaches and schools, other than Paper Clip and I. Thomas' AD, don't usually play too hard with it because it would be bad publicity.

I like how Cal spins that he's 'honest with the kids'. That may be true, but he has shown himself to wield his scholarships like a switchblade. When you oversign by 4 scholarships and THEN tell those you currently have on scholarship it's in their best interest to leave, it doesn't look so positive to me.

It bugs me a little bit about the KU situation. How much did Appleton and Robinson want to leave, knowing that they definitely wouldn't see much playing time this year? I hope in our situation it truly was a desire on the part of the players to find some PT, otherwise, we kind of look like the cat calling the skunk black on this one (Maybe not as blatant as Toss 'em over the side Cal, but not blameless).

Chad DeShazo 10 years, 6 months ago

PhogTheDog, Check the Womens Basketball link and you'll see a nice article on Danielle that barely mentions T.T.

Good coverage of both athletes in their respective areas of the website.

Joe Baker 10 years, 6 months ago

Self will give Taylor the chance he deserves to start. Brady had his chance and even though he was solid in D, he was just never as consistent on the arc. Brady even redshirted and still didn't quite get it. He's Mr Defense, his shooting must be more consistent. The shooting will be the differnce maker between these two b/c Taylor's D is just as solid. Unless Brady has a gangbuster preseason this year, Taylor starts!!

Alex Wishart 10 years, 6 months ago

its a toupee! anyone who thinks otherwise is super stupid!

Chris Shaw 10 years, 6 months ago

kvskubball: I know coaches and universities want the best product on the floor, but at what expense? Thank known fact about the 1 year renewable scholarship has been a hidden fact for years and not everyone has truly understood the rule, myself included when I was coming out of high school. From the article, what does football have to do with basketball. There are so many more scholarships involved in football so I understand for the concern, but in basketball there are 13 scholarship players. Let's at least bump that back to the old mark and regain the 4 year status of a true scholarship or at the very least make it 3 years. As I have always stated in the past and with my debates with Jaybate, the "Student-Athlete" is the one that is most exploited by the Coaches, Universities, and most of all the NCAA. I like the 5/8 rule, but it needs to even go further. If the NCAA doesn't take action soon and put in the "Memphis Rule" coaches are going to continue to get away with bloody murder in this so called "Amature" sport and the NCAA is going to continue to turn their heads. Everything in the NCAA has to be "Now" "Now" "Now" "Now". The same is almost true in college athletics and most definitely with Kentucky Basketball at the moment. There has to be something done to protect the current players and roster of the existing coach. I know a new coach wants his players, but the current system is almost acting like a complete dictatorship. Some kids may not be good enough, but some kids develop at different rates. Some kids know they are going to be 4 year players and want the opportunity to wait their turn. Nothing wrong with that, but in the current system that type of player is almost extinct and will never get a shot. Something definitely has to change and it all starts with the NCAA and establising the "Memphis Rule".

basquiat 10 years, 6 months ago

The new rule could read:

" If a player wins a gold medal for his country, he is allowed to wear anything on his head he wants."

STLJHawk86 10 years, 6 months ago

Not that it particularly matters, but HCBS does wear a toupee. Several posts have noted where his hands go to on his head when he igets irritated, frustrated or othewise upset. The location of his hands is at the spot the toupee and regular hair come together. Notice he never touches the top of his head with his hands for fear it could dislodge his hairpiece. If someone wants confirmation, find out who his barber is. There is a special art to trimming the natural hair to blend in with the toupee and it must be done on a frequent basis since the natural hair is always growing and the toupee is not. Thus, the hair cut is often done by someone at (or from) a saloon that sells hair pieces and hair restoration services. That way the existing hair can be trimmed and the hair piece serviced (cleaned, etc.) at the same time.

waywardJay 10 years, 6 months ago

Mine is not only a vote for t eadband, It's also a vote for tyshawn to gro a ridiculously large Afro..... so the headband is justified...... just a clearification.

bayareajhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

First of all, many congratulations to Tyshawn Taylor for representing his country so well. He performed excellently and brought home the gold medal. Well done.

I feel the need say something about one of my favorite Jayhawks, though: Mr. Brady Morningstar. I remember that during Brady's redshirt year, many posters on this site complained loud and long that he shouldn't even be on the team and that he would never EVER get playing time for the Jayhawks (let alone start). I told them all to mark my words and that he would play an important role on a very good Jayhawk team because he is smart, works hard, has a great feel for the game and is a good defender. And I was right (doesn't that feel good?).

Now it's two years on and despite Brady's excellent play last season people are once again proclaiming on this site that he won't get any minutes next year. Well I'm going to stick my neck out again for Brady and tell you all that once again you are wrong.

Why is it that Brady played more minutes last year than anyone except Sherron Collins? Maybe because Brady is the best defender on the team and the smartest player. He is also the most consistent three point shooter. His Ast./TO ratio was 1.93/1. For comparison, TT's was 1.25/1 and Sherron's was 1.48/1. Also, when you compare 3-point shooting, Brady hit more than twice as many as TT and had a much better percentage: .420 to TT's .364.

He's gonna prove you all wrong again.

Rick Arnoldy 10 years, 6 months ago

The 5/8 rule was horrible. Didn't we just have 7 newcomers last year? The 5/8 hit schools hard that either graduated a lot of seniors and/or lost a lot the the NBA.

bg_duck1 10 years, 6 months ago

uh is it just me or is that picture of TT and DMac's medals close up super freaky?? TT's got some CRAZY long fingers!

KCJHawk08 10 years, 6 months ago

bayarea is right. Brady was the best defender and the most underrated all-around player on the team. Coach Self knows this and there is no way he is just going to shove a guy like that (a guy who can help lead the younger guys) to the back of the bench. Brady will be an important component of this year's team. He will lose playing time. Almost everyone will. But, he will still play an inetgral role. Look for someone else to lose more playing time than him.

perryellisfuturehawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Tyshawn's already going to be sporting a new number, so why not a headband to complete his new look.

Joe Baker 10 years, 6 months ago

bayareajhawk (anonymous) says... He's gonna prove you all wrong again.

I hope he does. Frankly, I was waiting for him to pull the trigger more often. Maybe it was the bad performance in the B12 tourney or maybe it was his horrible play in the game against Mich St. He never showed when it was needed!!

I don't care if I'm proven wrong. Either way, TT or BM is a win for KU!! As far as leadership, Brady's personality is not one of vocal leadership, but quiet example. He won me when he was ready to sac his scholly for the good of the team. I hope he has one of the best years ever. I hope he drills the net to pieces.

Again, it's a win win situation for us all. No need to get defensive, we're all on the same team!!

RCJHKU

justanotherfan 10 years, 6 months ago

kushaw,

The whole scholarship issue goes back to one simple thing - money.

UK just paid Calipari a huge amount of money to come coach there. The fired Gillespie after just two years. You really think Calipari wants to use a year or two of HIS contract, where HIS money is on the line, to see if Gillespie's recruits get better?

FIU paid large sums of money to get to D-1 and now they are bringing in a name coach. Of course they want to keep their best player.

Am I saying what they are doing is fair? Of course not. It's ridiculously unfair. But the NCAA stopped being for the good of the student athlete as soon as the money got thick.

The amount of money being spent on (and made from) college basketball (football, too) is why things have gotten so cutthroat. Ever wonder why the rules changed in football first? It started when the bowl payouts (and bowl games in general) started getting larger. In the 1950s and 1960s teams would regularly turn down bowl invitations. Now that is unheard of.

Follow the money. The NCAA eliminated the 5/8 rule because it hindered the money making programs. KU's roster was basically gutted after the title run. We lost five scholarship seniors (Kaun, Jackson, Robinson, Case, Stewart) plus three underclassmen (Rush, Chalmers, Arthur). If the 5/8 rule were still in place, it would have prevented us from signing the Morris twins or accepting Withey as a transfer. UNC is in much the same situation this year, having lost Hansborough, Green, Lawson, Ginyard, and Ellington. They signed four guys last year. If the 5/8 was in place, they would not even be able to replace what they lost.

For coaches, players are a commodity. You need good players to win. Even this year, our own Coach Self had to part with two guys (QThomas and Appleton) in order to open up roster space for X, Withey and Thomas Robinson. Whether he told them outright to transfer or, as Coach Cal put it, told them very openly that they would not see much PT and let them connect the dots is really just window dressing. It happened one way or another.

justanotherfan 10 years, 6 months ago

Now that's not to say that Coach Self is evil or purposely overrecruited last year. He had roster spots to fill, and brought in talented guys to fill them. It worked out great for some (Taylor, Morris twins), not so great for others.

But the driver is money.

Billy Gillespie was fired at UK because he didn't win enough. You think maybe he wishes he had cleaned house upon arrival and gotten guys committed to HIS system instead of waiting for them to just graduate?

The money rules the system. The money created the system. Why else do you think that the NCAA only investigates things years after the fact? The NCAA directly benefits from players like Chris Webber and Reggie Bush, then once they are gone launches investigations into what happened while they were on campus.

The latest NCAA basketball tournament TV contract pays the NCAA $545,000,000 per year. That's $545,000,000 for 64 games. That's $8,515,625 per game, whether that game is the play in game or the national championship. That's $212,890.63 per minute of game action.

Follow the money... unless you are afraid of where that path may lead.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 6 months ago

Justanotherfan: I totally agree! It's a shame isn't it! Something has to be instituited though. Overrecruiting is going to get out of hand. If the Unviersities and coaches are going to over-recruit then don't let the student-athletes who are already there bear the whole punishment. Go ahead and eliminate the 1 year sit-out transfer rule. It's a shame money talks, but it does. At least curtail some of the crap that has gone on the last year with recruiting, Memphis, Calipari, and Kentucky.

mjlindsm 10 years, 6 months ago

That Seth Davis story is really interesting and gets me thinking. An LOI should really be a two-way contract. If a player can't get out of it without being granted a release (with a good reason for asking out) by the NCAA and the school, the school should be required to at least take the kid for a year, unless perhaps they have a good reason for it and they are granted a release by the NCAA and, lets say, the kid's Mom (or Dad (or legal guardian)). Remind me if my future son is getting recruited heavily to play basketball to tell him never to sign an LOI. Now seeing as my wife and I are both sub-5'9" I shouldn't have to worry about that, but you get my point. An LOI does a kid no good, just a coach and the school.

B Rush never signed an LOI. Hell, he never committed; he just one day enrolled in classes. Worked out well for him.

waywardJay 10 years, 6 months ago

Wait, Bayarea... we agree on something ? What ?

lee3022 10 years, 6 months ago

Congratulations to our USA Team and to Tyshawn Taylor for being a part of that team and for being selected to the all-tournament team.

Headbands are not allowed by some NBA coaches as well as many college coaches. It is not superstition but commitment to being a team and not a collection of individuals. No earrings. No personal warm-ups and no headbands.

I am troubled by Tyshawn lobbying for it in the press. Not a good practice to put your head coach out there in public. Not a good way to show that he learned his lesson about being a hot dog in the Puerto Rico game. Not good to announce a split in the assistant coaches. Become a part of the team and let your play on the court show it.

jayhawkboogeyman 10 years, 6 months ago

I think the headband thing is more of a joke, not grounds for a schism among the coaching staff. Tyshawn made great strides and will display tremendous improvement as a starter at the 2 next year.