Monday, July 13, 2009

Texas RB commits to Kansas

James Sims, a running back prospect out of Texas' MacArthur High, has given a verbal commitment to the Kansas University football team, according to Rivals.com.

Sims, who rushed for 1,141 yards and 15 touchdowns and caught 21 passes for 363 yards as a junior in 2008, became the Jayhawks eighth known commitment in the Class of 2010.

"I'm solid on my choice and I'm officially a Jayhawk," Sims told the Web site. "That won't change. It feels good to have it out of the way and I don't have to worry about where I am going to school. Now I can focus on my senior season knowing where I am going."

According to Sims, who later received offers from Arkansas, Utah and Purdue, Kansas was the first school to officially offer a scholarship.

Sims' recruitment was led by second-year receivers coach David Beaty, meanwhile, who is a former head coach at MacArthur.

Comments

avaholic 10 years, 6 months ago

This is fantastic!!! This class is really coming together!!

Jayhawker413 10 years, 6 months ago

Height??? Weight??? 40 time??? Cmon LJW give us something we wanna hear more than who was the guy that recruited him

Michael Mulvihill 10 years, 6 months ago

KanCool 10 years, 6 months ago

Ht: 6-foot-0 Wt: 205 lbs Forty: 4.5 secs Bench max: 250 pounds Squat max: 600 pounds Class: 2010 (High School)

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 6 months ago

Wonder if the bench is correct. If it is, then he doesn't have much upper-body strength.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 6 months ago

His squat max is a very impressive 600, so I'm going to assume the bench is wrong.

Jaminrawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Give Sims a red-shirt season and he'll be able to bench more than 250.

All I care about is that he is a prototype sized back with good speed and he wants to be a Jayhawk. I love that KU already has 8 commits and it isn't even August yet. We already have a wideout, a quarterback AND now a runningback. Great work, coach Mangino and company!

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 6 months ago

Yes, regardless, congrats on being a Jayhawk!!!

KGphoto 10 years, 6 months ago

Cool. He must've seen one of those new Kansas billboards.

And hey, 250 pounds for a 17-year-old that weighs 205 is nothing to sneeze at. At the NFL combine you are considered exceptional if you bench 1.5 times your weight. Besides, I've never been the least bit impressed by bench stats unless you're a lineman. A 17-year-old squatting 600 and running a 4.5 is all I'm looking at. And that's looking good.

kingpin 10 years, 6 months ago

haha that is an impressive squat...actually really crazy. 3x his weight!? Just shows he's focused on the lift that will help him the most!

Tyler Fox 10 years, 6 months ago

Is it really safe to assume the lift we don't like is false and the lift we do like is correct?

waywardJay 10 years, 6 months ago

either way... we kid on campus ... mangino can remake him to whatever suits this kid best.

Eurekahwk 10 years, 6 months ago

I challenge ALL of you to bench 250 pounds. You're right, it could be higher. As a 165 pound non-athlete in HS, I finished my senior year throwing up 250 on bench. So yeah, this guy ought to be getting at least 300. Don't worry, he will before he has a major impact on a college football game.

But I bet most of you have never even put up 200 pounds and wouldn't even be able to budge 250 off your chest. So I find it laughable that people would criticize the stats of a kid who still has a year of HS left. Prep ballers add about 30 pounds per year at least to their lifts if they are working hard.

RL 10 years, 6 months ago

Hey Eureka- You were a 165lb non-athlete that threw up 250....point made.

Dirk Medema 10 years, 6 months ago

I seem to recall hearing that the bench isn't the most useful lift, and the max is mostly just a fun number to work at. I believe this is why they don't have players max at the NFL combine, but rather check the number of reps with 225 (?). 30 lbs per yr would even seem rather conservative for a FB player. Heck, even CC runners can manage that kind of improvement.

The number that I like is ESPN-U rates him a 77. Another solid recruit.

Rivethead 10 years, 6 months ago

Hopefully this kid is Billy Sims reincarnated.

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 6 months ago

welcome Mr. Sims. now, head up to Wichita and get Mr. Randle to join you in Lawrence.

stravinsky 10 years, 6 months ago

I was hoping he'd be more like the reincarnation of Barry Sanders. If that reincarnation then had a love child with Dick Butkus which was then spliced. Wolverine-style, with a grizzly bear.

One day...

treidy 10 years, 6 months ago

Anyone know where to find pictures of the new Kansas billboards? I am living out of town now and would love to see what they look like.

troutsee 10 years, 6 months ago

Who cares what he can bench press. A good running back has "vision", is fast, can catch, and can block. Strength is important but hardly worth all of these comments.

kugrad93 10 years, 6 months ago

Billy Sims isn't dead, which would make reincarnation difficult.

Christopher Hauser 10 years, 6 months ago

Eurekahwk- I could bench that much as a freshman and I only weighed 165ish. By a Senior I was at over 350 and about 180 but the real question is does anyone really care how much we benched in high school? Do you really think by benching 250 in H.S. it gives you the right to think you are the lone soul on this website that has ever passed the 2 bill mark, are you freakin kidding me.

Dirk Medema 10 years, 6 months ago

Chris - I think he was just saying it for ref sake, not really puffing his chest out so to speak or anything like that. You can relax, we're all glad you're a stud too.

Maybe LJW should post stats for bloggers too.

Joshua Hann 10 years, 6 months ago

If your point was why does anyone care about HS stats, why would you add yours? lol...

stravinsky 10 years, 6 months ago

KUGrad93, one word response to that...

Zombies?

Christopher Hauser 10 years, 6 months ago

dagger108- If I was such a stud I would have been offered a scholarship to play a D-1 sport out of H.S. but that was not the case. I thought the comment "I challenge ALL of you to bench 250 pounds," is calling fellow bloggers out on this site a little bit. Not a case of chest swelling, just a case of who cares if you could bench 250 or not and who cares what I can bench for that matter. I like the joke about posting stats for bloggers, funny stuff! On a serious note I do think that people should use their real names as their screen name, I think it holds people more accountable to their comments.

Christopher Hauser 10 years, 6 months ago

Royaljayhwk- "If your point was why does anyone care about HS stats, why would you add yours"

If your comment was refering to my post then the answer is to show how stupid it is. You thought it was pretty stupid judging by your comment did you not?

jayhawkboogeyman 10 years, 6 months ago

This is turning into a really solid recruiting class. All of our commits so far are graded between 75-78 by ESPN, which means they are projected as excellent impact players. (Some of our kids still have "40," which I guess effectively means "not yet graded.") Keep bringing in solid, versatile kids with our tremendous coaching staff, and we really do have a bright future in football. I would love to see us land a guy rated in the upper 80s-90s range to round out the class, but Mangino hasn't even shown what he can do with this year's class, supposedly his best ever, so the news keeps getting better.

Welcome to Kansas, Sims.

I by no means am a body builder, but my brother does it as a hobby. He's about 5'11", 210, and maxed his bench at 465 lb I believe, but pushing himself to do that much on the bench has basically ruined his shoulders by age 30 and he can't do much weight training at all and has had multiple surgeries for it, so I suspect that may be a wider problem among athletes, thus Sims' great squat numbers and seemingly nominal bench numbers. Also, the bench press isn't doing much for a RB.

Jonathan Briles 10 years, 6 months ago

This has been really funny to read. People are taking this kids bench, and other posters comments way too seriously lol. 250 is a fine bench for a running back who is a junior in HS. Most RB recruits dont even have their Bench max posted because its kind of irrelevant. It cant be bad but its not. If it was like an even 200 then yeah maybe some jeers from some of the posters but not for this. There needs to be more cheers for a 600 pound squat. Thats fantastic and a 4.5 forty is really good too. I'm extremely happy to have this kid and there need to be more people saying that.

waywardJay 10 years, 6 months ago

a grizzly bear and a wolverine ???? isn't that essentially what Ron Dayne was ??? no wait that was a Dump truck and a Gremlin.

suttonku 10 years, 6 months ago

if you want a little look at this RB visit theshiver.com theres about a one minute video of him

emillasap 10 years, 6 months ago

Well, I benched 500 pounds when I was in 7th grade.

Sincerely,

Unsubstantiated Claims of strength

KGphoto 10 years, 6 months ago

Well when I was in 7th grade... (this is my best Junior High story)

A kid came to class straight off the farm, wearing is boots and a cowboy hat. I don't remember what he weighed exactly but he was big for a 7th grader. Not huge but he looked like he drank a lot of beer. Pear shaped, wobbly and a bit of a mess. He was being sized up, by all of us, for farmboy and fat jokes.

Then one day (and this is true) we had our strength tests in gym and we were all being put into relative pigeon holes by bench max. You know? In 7th grade it's just funny. Under 100. 100-120. etc. I think the best was around 170, and the kid looked like he'd been lifting since his second tri-mester.

So Rusty, the farmboy who never said a word, (we didn't even know what his voice sounded like, he just slumped around and kept quiet) plopped down on the bench. He'd never even been in a gym before. He only knew what to do because he watched the others first, and he was the heaviest, so he went last.

Just because he was heavy didn't mean he looked strong. He looked like he might run out of breath lifting anything at all. And I think he thought we might be right about that. So he gave it everything he had and nearly threw his arms out of their sockets lifting the previous max weight. And if it hadn't been a universal machine he might have thrown the damn weights and killed somebody. So coach immediately added several slabs and Rusty slammed them, and smiled. And as Rusty was realizing what was happening, so were we. All of our little minds started reconfiguring Rusty's status in the class. And by the time he put up 275, his status was cemented. "The guy you don't want to fight".

KGphoto 10 years, 6 months ago

Still he never made a noise. Just lifted one corner of his mouth in a sheepish grin to modestly accept what was obvious. He was the strongest kid any of us had ever seen. He was the king. And even the smart-mouthed kids who had been fighting for position as alpha seventh grader had to shut up. But it didn't stop there. He could have been labeled "Ogre" or any array of nicknames that inferred a stationary muscle block. But it turned out he was more exceptional than that. Rusty then stepped on the track.

At a Junior High that prided itself on athletics, He began to set records. He not only broke the shot-put and discus records, he shocked the entire community when he broke the school's 100 meter record. I was pretty fast. When I went to J.H. I thought I might be the fastest guy. But Rusty left me standing still. The guy was absolutely defying his body type. Defying his demeanor, with athletic dominance. By the time he was eligible to play football in 8th grade he was a legend. And we all thought we could beat the F'n Chiefs if we just had Rusty playing both ways.

"Who's gonna tackle him"? "What's he gonna do to their QB"? Our minds were simply delirious with visions of glory. We had literally found a The Hope Diamond, in a hay bale.

But guess what? With all that crazy, god-given ability, the guy couldn't play football to save the farm. He was always out of position. He was just never able to grasp the game. He played baseball too. Pitcher. Real scary. He could get into the 80s in 7th grade but was all over the place. You didn't EVER want to face that guy as a batter. And he could hit the long ball Ruthian style. But if it didn't leave the atmosphere, then he missed it entirely, which was usually what happened. So Rusty fell back into human status and the best player on the football team turned out to be the class president, who never posted any record stats in the weight room or on the track. He just balled. Eventually for the Hawks, and in the NFL too.

So you get my point. It's pretty obvious, and I'm not the first to make it.

Put away the numbers, until the kid hits the football field.