Originally published July 13, 2009 at 11:37a.m., updated July 13, 2009 at 02:49p.m.

Self issues statement on Buford incident

Chase Buford was arrested Saturday morning on charges of operating under the influence. Coach Bill Self said in a statement that discipline would be handled in-house.

Kansas men's basketball coach Bill Self issued a statement Monday regarding walk-on Chase Buford, who was arrested early Saturday on charges of operating a vehicle under the influence.

“I am aware of this situation,” Self said in release. “Although Chase is a high quality young man, he made some poor decisions and now has to live with the consequences of those decisions.

"I am very disappointed that we are dealing with this but we will support Chase throughout and I will not have any further comment on this situation with the respect of the legal process and the sensitivity of this issue. All discipline will be handled in house.”

Buford, a 20-year-old from San Antonio, Texas, was arrested Saturday at 12:43 a.m. His arrest came at a time when Lawrence police were executing an unannounced saturation patrol in the city.

Sgt. Bill Cory, Lawrence police spokesman, said officers conducted the special enforcement Friday night and early Saturday morning, ending their operations at 3 a.m.

Police arrested four people for operating under the influence Friday night and early Saturday morning, according to Douglas County Jail records.

Comments

hbp 10 years, 6 months ago

Anyone who has ever lost a loved one to a drunk driver cares - a LOT.

jcsmith 10 years, 6 months ago

May not be the all star of the team but he has to be held to the same standardard as the all stars. If this were Sherron or Cole, you know damn good and well there would be more punches thrown.

Jayhawker413 10 years, 6 months ago

tdub 10 years, 6 months ago

My initial reaction was the same Jayhawker413, but you know d@mn well if Cole or Sherron did this nobody would want them off the team, just disciplined. See Morris airsoft incident and Sherron elevator incident for the most recent examples. Seems like Self seems to follow more of a two major strikes policy (CJ Giles).

bayareajhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

The comments surrounding the two Buford stories on this board are completely ridiculous. Many of you (like the chief of police of Malibu) are total reactionaries. Calm down.

He WILL be held to the same standard as the stars, which means he will NOT be kicked off the team. Did we kick off the Morris twins for their poor choice? Did we kick off Brandon Rush for his poor choices? Did we kick off Collins for his alleged poor choice? No, no, and no.

C.J. Giles did get kicked off because he showed a pattern of poor choices. Every kid deserves a second, and maybe even a third chance. These are young kids we are talking about. Calm down and stop trying to turn this into a racial issue.

It is likely that this story would be getting more attention if it involved a perennial starter, but that is only because fans would care more about a starter facing potential legal troubles. It has nothing to do with race, and everything to do with the fact that Buford doesn't mean a whole lot to our National Championship hopes. Would everyone please get down from their soapboxes and moral high horses? Thank you.

tennesseest 10 years, 6 months ago

Lots of knee-jerk reactions...

How about supporting him instead of kicking him while he's down?

Make him run, make him take DD classes, make him speak to kids in lawrence about the dangers of drunk driving, suspend him from playing for a while. Maybe all four. Turn this into a positive for him and the community.

Kicking him off the team indeed would send a message that we don't tolerate this sort of thing. Which is good. But weigh the two choices for a minute and then make a decision.

Joe Studebaker 10 years, 6 months ago

I agree tdub. I was a victim of a drunk driver at a very young age and I am lucky to be alive. But, I understand that you can't just write kids off for a bad choice. I know that it could have ended in a tragedy but I believe that everyone can learn from another person's choice that was good or bad. So, with that said, I would have to believe that the rest of the team understands what could have happened and will make better choices down the road.

Chase you should be thankful that no one was injured. It's a price to pay and lesson to be learned and maybe it will help us to remember the dangers and not make the same choice.

We have a great coach who likes to keep order in the home and we will never know what the discipline was but just as long as he learns his lesson. That will remain with him years after college.

I disagree with kicking him off the team.

ginger2015 10 years, 6 months ago

Hey bayarea, the Morris twins are not conjoined. The Morris TWINS didn't do anything, one of the Morris twins fired the air rifle.

thedudelovesKU 10 years, 6 months ago

bayareajayhawk...i hate the chief of police of malibu. hes a jerk o%@.

aw52 10 years, 6 months ago

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, can we please talk about Tyshawn Taylor. Doesn't Carl Henry have anything to say this week?

ObiWan 10 years, 6 months ago

Bayareajayhawk- What did Brandon Rush do that should have gotten him kicked off the team? He seemed to be a model citizen during his time at KU.
As some of you may recall, Lester Earl got a DUI while he was at KU, and Roy suspended him for a few games, but he remained on the team.

bayareajhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

ginger2015: Fair enough. I thought both of them were in the room when it happened, but I don't really remember. I couldn't be bothered to look it up, I just wanted to make a point about players getting in trouble and staying on the team.

thedudelovesku: I knew somebody would get my allusion, but I should have known it would be the dude himself. And it's time somebody did something to Jackie Treehorn for treating objects like women.

ObiWan: Remember all that nonsense about a warrant being issued for Brandon's arrest due to unpaid parking tickets or something equally nefarious? It wasn't a big deal but (as usual) there were some pretty stupid comments on this website relating to it. And nice call on the Lester Earl situation. I had a vague memory of that but wasn't too sure. Even though it was on Roy's watch, that's probably the best precedential example since they broke the same law.

d_prowess 10 years, 6 months ago

Can anyone explain what the difference is between a OUI (the charge here) and DUI? Is it just semantics in this situation?

Ben Kliewer 10 years, 6 months ago

I'm confused. Who was turning it into a racial issue? I read through the comments and didn't see anyone turning it into a racial issue. Unless I missed something.

ObiWan 10 years, 6 months ago

Ah yes Bayareajayhawk, I had completely forgotten about the parking ticket nonsense. I believe I laughed at the ridiculousness of that even being newsworthy and then completely dismissed it. I'm sure the mizzou antlers had a great time with that, though.

aw52 10 years, 6 months ago

jwliddell,

Your response was very elloquent!!! Also, I appreciate your lecture today. Your vast knowledge of the offense leads me to believe you also have a firm grasp of the public transportation system as well.

I look forward to chapters 25-50 of your in depth takes on drinking too much and getting behind the wheel like an idiot.

10 years, 6 months ago

jwliddell ~

But that rug was special man, it really tied the room together.

p.s. I don't think aw52 abides.

trader 10 years, 6 months ago

Coach Self is going to let the system play out in regard to the incident. Yep, innnocent until proven guilty (or maybe diversion) and Coach is respecting the legal process to be carried out first. Then, Coach will make his decision on discipline. Sounds like he is handling the process the right way.

lukay 10 years, 6 months ago

soobawls,

Your view does not take into proper account the moral status of a person creating unsafe situations for others. It should be illegal to put the lives of others at significant risk, even if one doesn't end up hurting anyone. Driving while drunk can create significant risk. Thus, it should be illegal. We don't have a right to put people in serious danger..

aw52 10 years, 6 months ago

jwliddell

Wow! I am officially put in my place. With the "Creedance Tapes" the "Pissed on Rugs" and the "Log Jammin" slams, it will take some serious soul searching to decide if I am up to the grown up conversation you speak of.

On a more serious note.......How long are you going to make me wait for Chapters 50-75.

Ray March 10 years, 6 months ago

it's not like he was going to contribute any points this year.

send him packing...

;)

(actually, i'm sure he's sorry for his stupid actions and self will take care of it....)

Nathan Mattison 10 years, 6 months ago

I say as a punishment Coach Self actually have him "make" the team as other walk-ons have to do... as opposed to just having his position IMO undeservedly handed to him.

KWufan 10 years, 6 months ago

I got 20 on Chase being President someday

Brian Conrad 10 years, 6 months ago

Chase's family Great people and have had huge positive impact on Lawrence and KU! the kid made a mistake. Lester Earl was just an Idiot, Chase should not be mentioned in same breath with idiots like Earl, Giles or Giddens

bayareajhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Kleave, the racial comments are in the comments section following the story "KU guard Buford arrested Saturday for OUI." I wanted to say something here before it all got started again.

suttonku 10 years, 6 months ago

Originally I said I would kick him off the team but I do agree with what Self is doing here...let the legal system play itself out...Now why are people arguing about legal stuff on here? this is a sports website...and as far as aw52 goes...he needs to shut his mouth...jwiddle is just educated on the legal system and that doesnt mean hes had any experiences with the law...I know about all that stuff and ive never been arrested...he just wanted to make sure everyone knew what chase was lookin at thats all...now lets all get along and for God's sake lets start talkin about football

Dirk Medema 10 years, 6 months ago

soobawls - Your ignorance is repeatedly amazing. Hopefully, you're just a teenage "genius" that will eventually grow up and learn the realities of life before they smack you in the face.

"Quite frankly drinking and driving shouldn't be illegal." Great, let's do away with all proactive laws. Forget about speed limits, and just prosecute the drivers who run over or into other people/objects. While we're at it, let's do away with licenses and driver's ed/training. Everyone should be allowed to get behind the wheel, and must be a fine driver until they've run over someone.

"There are plenty of people who drive fine while drunk ..." There is no one that drives or does anything else fine when they are drunk. Alcohol impairs a person's judgement. It is a scientific fact. Some people get drunk enough that they can learn some masking techniques to dupe themselves and other ignorant people in believing that they aren't stupid, but their judgement is still impaired. The fact that non-DD's can also create a hazard does not remove the liability associated with DD's.

"These checkpoints do nothing to save lives at all." You are correct in stating that you can not prove a non-event. There is no proof that Chase or one of the other 4 would have killed anyone if they had not been arrested, tho it has happened before. What we can be absolutely certain of is that arresting the 4 people reduced the risk of a DD fatality. That is a mathematical fact.

"Their only purpose is income generation." How much "income" do you think is generated by the 4 arrests? What were the expenses associated with the officers in the field, processing the OUI's, court $, ... This is not a positive cash flow situation. Instead, citizens donate a significant portion of our income to provide law enforcement for the purpose of reducing risks as well as prosecuting those that harm the innocent.

Hopefully, you and Chase will both grow up and learn to be responsible. To the rest of you, sorry for the rant, tho I think this might take care of the next few chapters.

jswift5990 10 years, 6 months ago

are we sure that he was even driving a car? i mean its not a dui. it could have been a bike for all we know.

hawks1712 10 years, 6 months ago

do we even have an idea of what his blood alcohol content was? for all we know he could have had 1 beer and blown .02, but since he is underage he would be given an OUI. he was not given a DWI or DUI, which i believe are both used when BAC is over .08 there is a chance he wasnt even "drunk driving"

jayhawkboogeyman 10 years, 6 months ago

According to the cops at KU orientation, if you are under 21 and blow 0.2, this is what you get, and it moves up to full-blown DUI at 0.8. So it is not unreasonable for us to think that he was somewhere between 0.2 and 0.7 when he was pulled over, which for a 20 year old athlete who weighs what at least 180-200 lbs. is virtally nothing. If not for the asinine 21 drinking age, it is likely from the facts we have so far to think he would have gone home safely and free and never thought about this again.

thedudelovesKU 10 years, 6 months ago

let's get one thing straight Lebowski...your name is lebowski. i'm "the dude". so that's what you call me. rock chalk

10 years, 6 months ago

Lebowski ~

I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals.

10 years, 6 months ago

jwliddell ~

Hah! Darkness warshed over the Dude - darker'n a black steer's tookus on a moonless prairie night. There was no bottom.

jaybate 10 years, 6 months ago

"unannounced saturation patrol"--LJW

Oh, is this one of those DDEs (disingenuous deflecting euphemisms) that they teach young officers at Police State University to use when they are asked to comment about something they are doing that is oppressive and apt to incense the public.

Let's think of some more appropriate euphemisms that can be used.

"coordinated remote revenue enhancement"

"overwhelming public behavior modification"

"momentary undeclared martial law"

"mass subordination of citizen activity patterns"

"co-valent de-freedom insertion"

"combined force cluster intercourse"

and last but not least...

"the big Fallujah"

Your turns.

lance1jhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

What this is about is profiling! The police were pulling over every car that was driving on the sidewalk that night.

Thank you and I'm out of here.......

Martin Shupert 10 years, 6 months ago

He's a walk on. I'm sorry, but if he were as talented as the scholarship players, he should be given a second chance. But there are other walk ons who are probably as talented as Chase is who haven't messed up like this. He's taking the place of someone who's out there who doesn't embarrass the program. I say, bye bye Chase. Go out for B ball next year and we'll all be there to see if you're good enough to make the team. Someone asked why he would be held to a higher standard than others. Why not just let the law take care of it? How many professional positions would keep you on the job if you embarrass the organization in your spare time? Not many. He needs to go. He can go out for the team next year.

JayhawkCasey 10 years, 6 months ago

jayhawkboogeyman, I am sure you meant to use 0.02 and the same for everything else. A 0.2 is pretty damn high and anything resembling 0.7 would have killed the person long before.

Lance Hobson 10 years, 6 months ago

Look, the kid already got the deal of a lifetime being a Jayhawk bball player thanks to his old man. Getting a gift like that comes with some basic responsibilities. He flat out blew the deal of a lifetime. Now his spot on the roster needs to go to someone who deserves it.

Bill Self doesn't need to feel bad about this, the kid threw this opportunity away. Kick him off the team - this is a clean kill.

lukay 10 years, 6 months ago

soobawls,

Let me try another approach. Do you think it's a bad idea to have a law against firing a gun down a crowded street? That's a proactive law, in the sense that I believe you are talking about, right? If you don't think there should be such a law, what do you think gives a person the right to risk seriously harming another person? If you do think there should be such a law, what do you think the relevant difference is between it and a law against drunk driving?

Martin Shupert 10 years, 6 months ago

Make amends! Who cares whether or not the law is right? You have to draw the line somewhere, but that's not the issue. The issue is, it is the law. If you do the crime, do the time. If you embarrass your group or team or employer or tribe or study group, make amends, or take a hike. There could be an alternative. Let's say Buford volunteers to work with the kids in Wayne Simien's Call To Greatness basketball camps and to humbly discuss with the kids how he lost his place on the team and how straightening up and flying right will earn his way back. I know. I'm not even within hollering distance of rightfully suggesting something like that. It's only an idea. Give him a chance to earn his way back. Make it productive. Make it apply to the mistake he made.

charlesyu 10 years, 6 months ago

Looks like Chase's dad is going to have to pony up some more cash so Chase can "apologize" to the program.

aw52 10 years, 6 months ago

jwliddel---

Chapters 1-25---Big Lebowski lines--Chapters 26-50. Toss in a little graphic design.

That is 10 minutes of my life you have wasted and I will never get back!!!

lukay 10 years, 6 months ago

soobawls,

At least you're consistent, with respect to shooting a gun down a crowded street. It's not clear to me why you are so against making laws to deter people from putting others in significant danger. If these laws end up saving more lives (or saving more people from harm) than just punishing those who actually hurt others (which is plausibly the case), then that seems to be good reason to have the laws. Anyway, I find your insistence that such laws are bad to be interesting, even if confused. And I'm glad that things aren't the way you would like them to be, with respect to this issue.

aw52 10 years, 6 months ago

Joseph Kuebel 10 years, 6 months ago

lol jwliddell...reading these posts have made my day as I personally love seeing the guy trying to bully get mangled! (notice trying as aw cant elaborate a point without using a swear (mind this after he attempted to call u out for name calling (which is even more funny because you were quoting a movie, and his foolish fool self couldn't pick that up either- apparently the quotations didn't give it away)))... Nice Work.