Originally published July 12, 2009 at 09:01a.m., updated July 13, 2009 at 12:00a.m.

Taylor leads U.S. to U-19 championship

The USA team celebrates its championship victory over Greece. Taylor, the only player wearing a headband, is holding the trophy with his left hand in the front row.

Tyshawn Taylor won’t be locking his Under 19 World Championship gold medal in a safe deposit box at the bank.

“I’ll hang it up in my room so everybody can see it,” Taylor, Kansas University’s sophomore combo guard said of the reward for leading the United States to a 9-0 record at the international basketball tournament in Auckland, New Zealand.

The 6-foot-3, 180-pounder from Jersey City, N.J., exploded for a USA-leading 18 points, dished six assists and plucked five steals in Team USA’s 88-80 title-game victory over Greece on Sunday in Auckland.

“I think it’s my biggest accomplishment so far. Hopefully after next year it’ll be my second-biggest moment,” added Taylor, looking ahead to a coveted 2010 NCAA championship. “It’s a great honor to represent your country and win.”

Taylor had a huge part in the U.S. ending an 18-year drought between FIBA U19 World Championships dating to 1991. He averaged a team-leading 10.8 points a game. He totaled a team-leading 35 assists and tied for the team high in steals with 14.

“It’s a great accomplishment to bring in 12 guys who never played together before and them having one thing in common — wanting to win the gold medal,” Taylor said.

“Everybody on our team liked each other. You’d have thought we played together as a team for years.”

Instead, the U.S. team gathered for training camp on June 16 in Colorado Springs. The squad left for New Zealand on June 25 and departed the hotel for the airport and marathon return trip at 6 a.m. Monday, New Zealand time (1 p.m., Sunday in the U.S).

Taylor was to be back in Lawrence about 9 tonight.

“I am so tired. We’ve been going 30 days straight — non-stop,” Taylor said in an early-morning phone interview from the Auckland airport. “We practiced. We played. I’m exhausted.”

It didn’t help that Taylor battled the flu early in the trip. He missed just one game.

“It was bad. I felt terrible,” Taylor said. “If I would have felt just pretty bad, I would have played. I couldn’t move at all. They gave me antibiotics and I felt better the next day.”

Taylor’s play in the title game helped solidify a spot on the five-player all-tourney team. He was joined by Butler’s Gordon Hayward as well as tourney MVP Mario Delas of Croatia, Toni Prostran of Croatia and Nikos Pappas of Greece. Taylor hit five of 11 shots (1-1 from three) and seven of 12 free throws for a U.S. team that made 26 of 32 charities to Greece’s 26 of 36.

“I knew it was going to be a tough game, but I didn’t know how the whistle was going to go. You never know what the refs are going to do and you just have to keep playing,” Taylor said.

“Greece had a big physical team. We knew they were going to play tough because we’d beaten them once before (85-69 on July 6). We were up by 16 at halftime and only won by eight so it was a tough game.”

Pitt’s Ashton Gibbs scored 13 points, while Washington State’s Klay Thompson and UTEP’s Arnett Moultrie hit for 10 apiece. Moultrie had nine boards.

“I don't know how you would pick an MVP with our group,” said U.S. head coach Jamie Dixon of the University of Pittsburgh. “It was 11 guys (one was injured) and I can think of different guys every game. I think every guy had a game where he was probably the player of the game and that’s what we thought it would be. And that made it fun too, I think every guy knew they were an intricate part of our success and what we did and so they knew that and they played for it and practiced for it.”

Dixon’s finest coaching job may have been convincing the team it’d take maximum effort to bust the 18-year drought in the U19 event.

“Coach Dixon kept letting us know that we hadn't won this tournament for a while,” Taylor said. “This was our time. I’m so proud. I got bragging rights now, so I’m definitely going to brag.”

Comments

Tribehawk 11 years, 4 months ago

Wow. Just wow. We will have the best perimiter in the nation next season and the best center. For the first time in over 10 years, I really think we could not only win the national championship, but run the table getting there. Rock Chalk.

RMAJhawk 11 years, 4 months ago

Way to go! Tyshawn is ready for the season.

MrPilot 11 years, 4 months ago

Congratulations Team USA and Tyshawn! You've made us all very proud!

KUSmurf 11 years, 4 months ago

Damn, that's awesome. Not only did he get the gold, but he was named to the All-Star team.

KUSmurf 11 years, 4 months ago

Also, with that performance he led the team in points and assists. Wow!

TtownHawk 11 years, 4 months ago

Maybe i missed it, but did they say who we (USA) played in the championship game?

KUSmurf 11 years, 4 months ago

They didn't say it here but we played Greece.

Chris Corley 11 years, 4 months ago

Congratulations TT! Way to represent your college, your country and yourself!

Get home safe!

waywardJay 11 years, 4 months ago

Now, THAT was what i want to see from this kid...... Great leadership and strong shooting. When I first saw it on espn this AM, I was like great we won.... and flipped over here and saw Tyshawn was the best player on the court, and not by a little either...and yet he still has the poise and the candor of a champion.

Thanks Tyshawn. This won't be your only championship of the year, but savor it. See ya in October for Opening night.

waywardJay 11 years, 4 months ago

i stand corrected, he really didn't shoot it that well.... when i first looked at the numbers they were eye popping... maybe it's my eyes being tired from a late night.... oh well.... he still was heads and feet the best player on this team on this night.

There is no doubt in my mind he chose tonight for his best game of the series.....

Martin Rosenblum 11 years, 4 months ago

Does anybody here know which games Xavier was invited to/played in like these games? There are all kinds of invitation only series on an international and national level. I'm just wondering how he fared? Or, did he turn them down and/or change his mind at the last minute? I'm just saying, maybe Tyshawn should become Xavier's mentor. After all, he got the flu, missed a couple of games and still bounced back to be named one of the All Star Five for the tournament. Oh yeah, Xavier had to go to the dentist!

Tony Bandle 11 years, 4 months ago

Boy oh boy oh boy oh boy!!!!!!!!

Maybe for those that thought Tyshawn should red shirt, it may be an opportunity to reconsider. Maybe for those who thought Tyshawn won't start this year, it may be an opportunity to reconsider. Maybe for those who thought Tyshawn as a projected pick in the 1st round of next year's NBA Draft was ridiculous [me included], it may be an opportunity to reconsider.

I truly respect and appreciate the overall quality and sports savvy shown by KU Nation, but I am beginning to feel that this year's team may be something special beyond our most optimistic predictions.

Gosh, Ty may be our third best player [ fourth if the Xavier hype is close to true]!!!!!

Collins................................................CJ Henry Aldrich................................................Johnson
X Henry...............................................Releford
Marcus M..............versus.....................Robinson Taylor..................................................Withey
Morningstar..........................................Reed
Little....................................................Markieff M

I would pay full price just to watch these two squads scrimmage!!!!!!

kansasbasketball 11 years, 4 months ago

i think what we should be watching for is how the power forward position turns out. I think that is going to the position we need someone to step up into. The rest already have proved themselves. The first play of most of the games on the championship team was give the ball to arthur. any thoughts???

kansas22 11 years, 4 months ago

Congrats Tyshawn on a great championship performance. Keep up the work and you will help lift another banner into the rafters of the Phog. Couldn't be more excited about next season. Rock Chalk

Lin Rahardja 11 years, 4 months ago

Congrats!!! The last time US won it was in 1991. Congrats!!!

100 11 years, 4 months ago

Great job, TT.

The US won this game by 8 points.

Tyshawn had 5 steals.

This is the allusive stat that won the game for the US -- his defense (and his teammates D).

I think Tyshawn's D will resemble Chalmers D much more than any of us thought. The other great thing about having X (as we saw in the McD game guarding Lance) is his absolute lockdown D ability. And now Tyshawn is bringing that to the table too...

addlime 11 years, 4 months ago

Wow is right! Congrats Tyshawn! I'm incredibly optimistic about next year, but I think its crazy to talk unbeaten at this point. A Championship should be a goal, like it is most years for this program, but I don't think the fans should put undo pressure or ridiculous expectations on this squad. Especially with only two likely starters being upper classmen. I am, however, gonna enjoy every moment of the ride, just like I have the last two seasons. There could be some more growing pains early in the year, because I think establishing a rotation could be difficult. Also, preseason #1 teams usually get a much needed wake up call at some point. Its how they respond that determines their fate. Look at UNC last year...

jayhawker_97 11 years, 4 months ago

leading scorer of the pack overall!! 4.4 steals per game!! great way to rep KU, Turbo T!!! let's beak UK's weak tail!!

michaelaho 11 years, 4 months ago

the article clearly states they beat Greece 88-80

mandomax 11 years, 4 months ago

I like these numbers even though his FG % wasn't awe-inspiring. He took way more shots than in previous games, and based on TT's humility and team-first play, that was probably at the direction of the coaches over there. This means they were impressed enough with Tyshawn to give him the green light from the floor for the ::championship:: game. His final stat line prove their decision a good one.

Jerry Rockhold 11 years, 4 months ago

Congrats TT for helping the US to win the gold & also for your individual performances. I'm sure you gained some invaluable experience & increased confidence playing so well against top international competition. Looking forward to watching you & our "loaded" Hawks team this upcoming season.

truefan 11 years, 4 months ago

That kid is getting better by the day. He will start next year and he will deserve it.

FairgroveJayhawk 11 years, 4 months ago

That is a super stat line. The best he has put up as an all around game that I can recall and it occured during the finals of the tournament. This shows his growing appetite to impact the game and lead if needed. He's developing in a major way.

Way to go Tyshawn!! You're the man.

yovoy 11 years, 4 months ago

"Maybe for those that thought Tyshawn should red shirt, it may be an opportunity to reconsider."

i think people were asking of that was a viable option. i don't know if anyone thought he should. there will be opportunities to reconsider the things that those of us said.

"Maybe for those who thought Tyshawn won't start this year, it may be an opportunity to reconsider."

if he shows this sort of ability in all facets of this game, and can do so consistently, i don't care what other guard we have. if tyshawn can be consistent with high-level play, he should start. there's nothing to reconsider. if he shows coaches encouraging things he should start. period.

"Maybe for those who thought Tyshawn as a projected pick in the 1st round of next year's NBA Draft was ridiculous [me included], it may be an opportunity to reconsider."

i don't know who will be in the draft next year, but 1st round? i certainly hope so, because it will mean that he went completely berserk during our season.

i think those of us who were saying that sort of thing, would love to have this kid do as well as everyone else on here seems to think he's going to.if he doesn't quite pan out, there will be time to reconsider your post as well.

waywardJay 11 years, 4 months ago

as someone who has been OUtspokenly recommending Taylor for 6the man... i have an updated version of my top players on this team.....

Cole Sherron Tyshawn X m,arcus Morris....

BUt not my starting lineup....

Sherron Brady X Marcus Cole....

Tyshawn first little off the bench 'kieff first big off the bench.....

if i was coach self i want him running 50-50 time with sherron, and i want him running all the time with sherron off..... Im sorry .... i don't give him that with him starting....

We need sherrron at about 30-34 minutes per game and we need ty at 25-30..... he fits best as the "sherron" from two years ago.... Brady's got too many intangibles and Tyshawn's more important in other ways for this not to work.....

He's the experienced back up point guard, and he's the catalyst for our team to propel forward..... Tyshawn might even be better than sherron at this point ( eeriely similiar to Russell and Sherron two years ago ) but for now..... because we need that 40 percent wing shooter and we need someone consistantly putting the intangibles out there.... i think we need brady more than sherron in tat 2 position....... ( this coming from someone who was dead against Brady starting last year )

Im completely open to tyshawn proving me wrong though.......

Joe Baker 11 years, 4 months ago

Is it late night yet?

Congrats Ty!!

Outstanding

Joe Baker 11 years, 4 months ago

I really question whether X starts immediately. We all want him to and we all think he should, but he doesn't know enough to start right away. I think Self will slowly edge him into a starting position. I really don't see how X and CJ being in OKC will help the team chemistry. I totally understand why they're in OKC and believe they are going to be conditioned, but Brady will almost have to start during the first half of the season. I think it depends on how quickly the offenses are learned. The longer X and CJ are away from the team, the longer it will take them to adjust with the team!!

Sherron-Taylor (offensive knowledge) Cole-Withey (70/40 split minutes- Withey should be completely ready, no excuses) Taylor- Little/CJ/EJ (Taylor's freshman exp and post season play is huge) Brady-Little/X (Brady's consistency and X's ability to learn the Self O) Marcus- Kief/TRob

Joe Baker 11 years, 4 months ago

Throw Reed and Releford in the mix with Taylor/Little/CJ/X!! I frankly don't care who starts as long as they play unselfishly and remain patient. I still say Releford should redshirt, not b/c of lack of talent, but just for an overall team standpoint. But doesn't appear anyone will redshirt, unless CS executes some team plan. He's pretty much guaranteed a starting position his Junior yr. Little and Sherron graduating, X possibly going to the NBA, would give him a great opp to come back strong for his Junior and Senior yr.

RCJHKU

jchawkfan 11 years, 4 months ago

First, Congrats Tyshawn job well done. We are very proud of you.

Second, I guess I will take a shot at this predicting line-up thing. I have read quite a few different ones so I guess I will throw out my opinions. Just going off the players I've seen and the news I've heard.

Starting 5 1) Collins (No Brainer) 2) Tyshawn (Showed flashes last year, and I think is really making strides to improve on his weaknesses.) 3) X (I want to be loyal to Brady, but sorry X is just a beast and is exactly what we need at the 3 postition and I think Brady will know and understand this.) 4) Marcus (Really started to impress me towards the end of the season. I am hoping the added weight and muscle they say he has added will give him more
strength around the rim. Please DUNK the ball.) 5) Cole (Nuff Said)

First off bench is Brady in for either X or Tyshawn. To give them a rest to prepare for when Collins comes out later in the half. Unless Marcus shoots a three or airballs a couple quick base line shots then Kief might be off the bench first. (Sorry I don't know much about Withey and havn't seen Little 100%) After that its anybodys guess we have unlimited lineup combo's. Its going to be a great year and I can't wait.

KGphoto 11 years, 4 months ago

I've got that feeling. Like when you climb the rope in gym class.

I'm not really sure what it is. But it's running through me like electricity, and I like it.

I've been looking at TTs stats, but no more. Now I'm looking at his winning. I'm looking at Sherron's winning. Coach's winning. I'm looking at a depth chart that boggles the mind. I'm seeing match-up problems 10 deep. Maybe 11. Not just good players with energy off the bench. Not just spark guys, but match-up problems 10 or 11 deep. And that gives me a feeling I'm unfamiliar with.

A perfect storm brewing slowly. Coach Self stirring a pot of powerful elixir, himself not knowing what it may taste like in March other than it will be intoxicating and addictive and it's gonna force everyone, if not everything, into a glorious slumber. Awakening to legendary chalk chants and banners and history.

Marcia Parsons 11 years, 4 months ago

memhawk That was a pretty harsh indictment of X. My understanding is that all the dental work is the final repair needed as a result of his car accident. It seems logical to me that he would want to have it done there in OKC with the doctors/dentist who had done the other surgeries. I wish he had been here this summer, too, but it isn't like he's just laying around between doctor visits. At least he will be in shape when he finally gets here.

Tony Bandle 11 years, 4 months ago

KGphoto...great, great point, as always!!!

We are all so excited about the competition among our Hawks, we have neglected to think match-ups down the line. Can anyone truly match up with KU from eight thru twelve??!!

Our second team comes in and, not only keeps the top squad fresh but either wears out the opponents top squad to a standstill or pulverizes an opponents weak bench!!!

Just for hoots and grins HCBS ought to start the second squad to see how they do, then bring in the starters for the kill!! [ won't happen, of course, but I could see Bill puling the starters en masse if they are underachieving, put in the second squad and not miss a beat.]

We may beat Colorado by 70 this year!!!!

mlubyRN 11 years, 4 months ago

I live in Vegas now and Ive been hearing that a prominent Vegas casino is giving the Jayhawks the top odds 4:1 to win it all next year. They didnt specify on which casino but Im thinking either Mandalay or NYNY. Also, a bit of news. Darnell Jackson is on the Cav's summer team who are coincidentally playing here in Vegas tomorrow against the Timberwolves and IM going!!! Gonna bring my 08 championship T and see if I can get Darnell to sign it.

tdub 11 years, 4 months ago

Folks keep in mind CJ Henry is better than TT or Sherron (per Carl's comments) so you might want to revise your lineups. I'm going with a two man starting rotation.

CJ X

everyone else off the bench

p.s. Carl when you read this I'm just trying to have fun. Don't call coach Cal.

TheShot122293 11 years, 4 months ago

OakvilleJHawk, I think your prediction of beating CU by 70 this year is accurate, as long as you're talking about the game in Boulder. The game at the Fieldhouse won't be anywhere near that close. Unfortunately, I'll be at the one in Colorado with the other 8,000 KU fans.

yovoy 11 years, 4 months ago

classic, t-dub!

who do you have in this match up?

cj & x vs. da' bears (w/out ditka of course)

good job tyshawn. you've almost got me believing.

for the record, i DO like his humility. it makes it easier to pull for him.

we needed to defend better last year because we had trouble scoring at times. that's the main reason we had trouble blowing teams out sometimes. if we have minimal defensive upgrade, and everyone scores the way they're capable of, we don't have to worry so much. granted, i'd love if our d could just choke other teams out - and ourSelf demands d like that - but it shouldn't be a huge concern early. i know ourSelf will be crazy about how inefficient our d will be early, but hopefully by the end he won't have to feel that way.

justanotherfan 11 years, 4 months ago

We had trouble scoring last year because teams knew that Sherron was the only person that could/would consistently create shots for himself and others. So teams (smartly) focused their defense on funneling Sherron into the middle with bigger people, where it would be most difficult to kick the ball back out to the perimeter.

This year, we have Cole with another year of experience. That should help him become a more adept scorer, along with being a better passer out of double teams. Does anyone besides me remember how many times last year Cole got doubled and either took a rushed shot or turned the ball over? Hopefully the coaching staff has helped him remedy that.

We have X, EJ, and CJ all coming in. All are adept creative scorers on the perimeter, something we sorely lacked last year.

We have Tyshawn with another year's experience. We saw flashes last year. Hopefully we see the full package this year every night this year.

My guess is still that Collins, Aldrich, X. Henry, Taylor and Mc. Morris start, with Withey, Robinson, Mk. Morris, EJ and CJ coming off the bench. For those who will note that I didn't mention Reed, Morningstar, Releford, well, right now it seems like those guys are the odd men out. It's also likely that either Robinson or one of the Morris twins will get squeezed out of the rotation by tournament time.

Martin Rosenblum 11 years, 4 months ago

oldalum-

If his accident was the cause of his need for oral surgery/dental work, I concede that he should have continuity with the medical care.

Maybe Carl should have been fitted with braces as well, or had his mouth wired shut!

But to my question about the tournaments that Xavier was invited to participate in, do you have any insight here? Surely, given his prominence in the group of incoming freshmen, he should have been invited to something, even if he had to turn them down. Maybe I'm not considering the NCAA rules or something. But, aren't there all sorts of games where we could be seeing stats and tales of our golden child?.

Brian Conrad 11 years, 4 months ago

hey memhawk... SHUT UP! you are a MIZZOU troll. hope someone slams your fingers in the trunk so you can not type. You represent No one from KU.

mjlindsm 11 years, 4 months ago

justanotherfan - with all due respect, you're nuts. How does the guy who played the second most minutes for us last year get "squeezed out"? I'd bet my left arm that Brady plays more than Elijah, barring further injuries of course. And he'll play more than CJ Henry, who was a 3-star recruit (which everyone has forgotten! Not prized like people are mis-remembering; he was around 100 in the Rivals 150.) who has never been healthy and hasn't played organized basketball in 4 years.

DynomiteHawk - It seems like to get around the whole experiencing summers thing, instead of going further north, couldn't he just go to the southern hemisphere? :)

waywardJay 11 years, 4 months ago

Mem, It's easy to go back just a couple months and recall the McD's ALl American Game.... there were only two players who treated it like an actual game... Our Golden Boy, and Lance stephenson the second half.... Everyone else treated it like a scrimmage.....

Our GOLDEN BOY, as your sick sarcastic sense states..... is a good player.... I wish you would give him a chance.

mjlindsm 11 years, 4 months ago

This lineups thing for next year is so much fun. I want to try. However, I tend to look at the past more than most apparantly in regards to the way coaches do things. I don't think Bill Self has really ever gone more than 8.5 deep. I just don't know that he'll change his coaching philosophy to account for his depth. I'm not so sure that he should, quite frankly. If you have 9 (to count liberally (given the reading comprehension/intelligence of the comments here, half the people think I'm talking politics there (not to say I'm that bright either, but c'mon))) (I heart parenthetical statements) guys that are better than the other 5, I don't think Self would play the other 5.

He plays guys who can handle the ball and big guys. Not definitive 1-5 guys, the way so many are counting this coming year's depth chart. I'll go with my guess. Starting guards to start the year: Sherron Tyshawn Brady

First guard off the bench: Xavier

Guard in case of foul trouble, fatigue, or everybody-else-is-sucking (see Tyrone Appleton playing against North Dakota State in the tourney): Little

Starting Bigs: Mc Morris Cole

First big off the bench: Mk Morris

Close second big off the bench: Withey

I think there will be a huge battle for the two remaining starting spots (one is obviously taken) amongst guards between Henry, Morningstar, and Taylor, which hopefully Xavier wins (which is what I'm guessing will happen), because that would mean he's as good as advertised. I'm not sure who he'd beat out between Morningstar and Taylor though.

I think Reed, Johnson, Robinson, and CJ are the odd men out. Like most others, I get the feeling Releford will redshirt; he's too talented not to. He'd have a great 3 year career afterward.

KGphoto 11 years, 4 months ago

I'm with ya mj. I don't see why Self would just scramble-up an over achieving group from last year. The recruits are bonus. Even X. Sure he has a chance to be a player, but he has an equal chance of breaking what doesn't need fixing. In theory, natural development of last year's team should take us to the Final Four. So why mess with it? If X, CJ, Withey, etc. come in and blow the roof off AFH then so be it. But I don't see that happening.

100 11 years, 4 months ago

Early season starting lineup could be anyone's guess. Probable November starters are:

1. Aldrich
  2. Morris
  3. Xavier
  4. TT
  5. Sherron

By the time the national championship game rolls around, the starting lineup should look a little something like this, bringing back fond memories of Lafrentz & Pollard starting together:

1. Aldrich
  2. Withey (a forward at heart being trained at both spots)
  3. X
  4. CJ or TT
  5. Sherron

I have read too much about CJ's skills from Memphis fans who are still very sickened that Calipari left them high & dry -- in short there is a definite reason Calipari was browning his shorts trying to get his "new" fans to "try" to persuade X to his new school. It surely was about X. But also from what I've read much more than we knew Cal's desperate ploy had to do with CJ. We are talking about a 6'4" Derrick Rose type pit bull guard whose speed, strength and reflex skills were trained for 3 years professionally. We are talking about a recruit in 2005 the Blue Blood schools were backflipping over. We are talking, according to their fans, probably Memphis' best player next year. And he's not even on scholarship!

In short, as fired up as I am about TT (he will be a 1st round pick and will obviously be a fundamental cog), this KU team is that loaded -- college basketball has never had a team this deep and stacked. Imagine... If CJ is as good as advertised, our first man off the bench in April (TT) could very well be drafted in the first round!

kvskubball 11 years, 4 months ago

All who are "re"membering that CJ was a super high recruit, are just flat out wrong. I've got my Athlon mags and CJ was rated the #230 player as a hs senior.

Did KU want him at the time? Sure, for three reasons: 1) He's a legacy recruit, 2nd generation KU. 2) He had a younger brother that was seen as a possibly even better recruit later on. and 3) CJ was a moderately talented player in his own right.

Thinking of CJ as having been a stellar recruit, is not 20/20 hindsight, but more like far-sightedness with some serious rose colored glasses, and a triple shot of moonshine induced romanticism shaken not stirred, IMO.

Martin Rosenblum 11 years, 4 months ago

Firstly, who is this Cooonrod writer? Why does his name not sound even remotely familiar to me? What possible reason would he have for the "Mizzou troll" reference?

Secondly, I am positive thatXavier is a fantastic talent on the court. It's the off-the-court stuff that I can't find peace with. I know I'll be there yelling with everybody else when he's invloved with the flow and leadership of his games. But, I just can't stand theatrics and aloofness from a player and his family before he has even put on a practice jersey.

mjlindsm 11 years, 4 months ago

I always am bothered by this "Brady and Reed" stuff. People lump them together as if they're the same because they are white 6'3" guards. Brady is more athletic, better defensively, and I believe is a better all around player than Reed is. Reed may find himself the odd man out with our new guys coming in. Morningstar will still play serious minutes.

100 11 years, 4 months ago

No one is disputing CJ's original Rivals ranking nor his # of stars upon leaving high school.

Most of us who kept up with it knew he was a late bloomer with basketball so you throw in a great senior year of basketball where he didn't start very high & then give him 3 years to train his strength., speed & reflexes, along with a year and a half (since he first decided to go to school at Memphis...

And you have one late blooming athlete who has worked on nothing but hand eye coordination & strength along with a year and a half of just basketball.

For a 6'4" pit bull built like a tank this is a big deal. If he was 5'9" then, the poster several posts up would be right -- we'd be looking through Rose colored glasses.

From everything I've read this kid is real, real good. Not five years ago.

Right now.

kvskubball 11 years, 4 months ago

100,

I think he's been injured a lot and unable to work on a lot of stuff, as a baseball player, or last year as a basketball player....

So I think that a reasonable prudent person would say that the jury is definitely still out. With all of the injuries and not playing organized basketball for 4 years, I'm expecting more shall we say an arrested development than 3 years to gain strength, etc, when he's been sidelined with various ailments, so much of the time.

So, I think that despite what papa's preaching and the 100 choir is singing, I'm skeptical. I believe that Coach Self thinks he has potential. So I'm hoping that the preaching and singing accurately describes the 'older' young man's talents and that he comes to KU and is able to rip his business shirt off at late night and has a great big "S" on his jersey instead of a number! lol

waywardJay 11 years, 4 months ago

mj... Tyrel's leagues stronger and more consistant on the three ball..... they are a two headed wrecking ball...... too badd they won't both get to play this year.w could RS reed.... have him replace the outgoing morning star is the new and improved defensive stopper.... and possibly get him to Steve Kerr level shooting by the end of his senior year... ( here's to hoping because that means we are going on a LONG Run )

Imagine, if JJ Redick where ability to lift weights, maintain his three shooting ability and play FABULOUS defemse/..... Reed could be a really strong asset.....here's to hoping....