Thursday, July 9, 2009

Rest for the weary

Taylor, U.S. team reach quarters

Kansas University’s Tyshawn Taylor heads to the basket for two of his team-high 13 points in Team USA’s 76-69 victory Wednesday over Lithuania. Taylor said he is looking forward to a day off today from the FIBA U-19 World Championships in Auckland, New Zealand.

— Kansas University’s Tyshawn Taylor, who last week was hit hard by the flu bug only to return to play well in Team USA’s last two basketball victories, admits it’ll be nice having a day off today.

“We’re kind of tired,” Taylor said after scoring a team-high 13 points and making some crucial defensive stops down the stretch in Team USA’s 76-69 victory over Lithuania on Wednesday at the FIBA U-19 World Championships.

The victory gave the U.S. a 6-0 record and spot in a medal-round quarterfinal contest against (3-3) Canada on Friday.

“Everybody is tired. Everybody has played just as many games as us, so you can’t use being tired as an excuse. We’ve got video tomorrow. We’re going to rest and try to get our legs back and come back here Friday and be ready,” said Taylor, a 6-foot-3 sophomore point guard from Jersey City, N.J.

Taylor, who earned his third start in five games (he missed one because of that flu bug), helped the U.S. put away Lithuania with back-to-back baskets in the final minutes.

He finished 6-for-13 shooting to go with four assists against two turnovers.

“I just wanted to be aggressive, whether it had to be scoring or looking to attack and hit one of my teammates for a layup,” Taylor said. “I had open shots so I took them, and they just fell for me today. They weren’t falling the last couple of games so I’m glad they fell today.”

Taylor ranks third on Team USA in scoring with 9.8 points per game and is 21-for-45 (47 percent) from the field through five games. He also has a team-high 19 assists.

“It means a lot,” Taylor said of the international experience. “I’m glad to have this honor. It means so much to be here. I think all 12 guys feel the same way. It’s just a great honor to be here representing our country.”

Two other players scored in double figures versus Lithuania. Klay Thompson and Darius Miller totaled 10 apiece, while John Shurna had nine. Gordon Hayward had eight rebounds and Thompson seven.

“I think we’re just a bunch of guys that like each other,” Taylor said. “We haven’t been together long, but we like being around each other, and there’s not really any stars on this team.

“Seth (Curry) played really good a couple of games; Ashton (Gibbs) played really good a couple of game, myself, John (Shurna), so it’s just a bunch of guys that can play and like playing with each other. I think it’s hard to beat us. It’s hard to beat us when you don’t know who is going to be the leading scorer, or the leading rebounder, or the leading assist man.”

Now it’s single-elimination for the U.S. team, with Canada the first foe in the medal round. The U.S. is the top seed in Group E; Canada is the No. 4 seed in Group F.

“I think most of our guys are used to this maybe (from the NCAA Tournament), playing like it’s our last game just like Lithuania did tonight,” Taylor said of Lithuania, which was eliminated. “We’ve got to play every game like it’s our last. I think with more to play for our guys we will come out, and we’ll start more aggressive, and we’ll be ready.”

U.S. coach Jamie Dixon likes his squad: “I’d probably prefer a game not so close,” he said after the Lithuania contest. “But down the stretch we got it done. John Shurna, Tyshawn (Taylor) and Darius (Miller) all made some big plays and that’s what you need.”

NBA waters: Bob Hurley, who coached both Taylor and U-19 leading scorer Mike Rosario at St. Anthony High, told Zagsblog.net his prize pupils might be wise to test the NBA Draft process after their sophomore seasons.

Draftexpress.com projects Taylor to be the No. 17 pick in the first round in the 2010 Draft. Rosario attends Rutgers.

“I think at the end of the sophomore year, I think you need to take a look. Go in with the intention of finding out if it makes sense and not committing yourself because you can go back to school (if you don’t hire an agent),” Hurley said. “I think you’re only exploring something that makes sense. The NBA has put you in a position where the longer you’re in college, you diminish your own value.”

Hurley did tell Zagsblog he “didn’t know if Ty personally would be ready to do it (after two years).”

Aldrich in Ohio: FOXsports.com’s Jeff Goodman interviewed KU junior center Cole Aldrich on Wednesday at the LeBron James Skills Academy in Akron, Ohio. Aldrich reiterated he never considered entering the NBA Draft after his stellar sophomore season.

He told Goodman he watched part of the 2009 draft after returning from a round of golf.

“The guys on our team were teasing me that I could have been in New York that night,” Aldrich told Goodman. “But I told them that this proved how much I like you guys.

“I really never even thought about it. I love school. I’m living the dream right now and having so much fun. I love my teammates, and we all get along so well together. I’m greedy. I want to win another title.”

KU the favorite: A prominent Las Vegas casino lists KU as odds-on favorite (4-1) to win the 2010 NCAA title. Kentucky follows at 5-1, Louisville 13-2, Michigan State 12-1, Duke 15-1, Missouri 15-1, Texas 18-1. North Carolina, Tennessee, Purdue and Villanova all are 20-1.

Miles update: Two Baylor players — Curtis Jerrells and Henry Dugat — join former KU point guard Aaron Miles on the roster of the Dallas Mavericks NBA summer-league team, set to begin play in Las Vegas this weekend.

Comments

William James 10 years, 8 months ago

Another basketball article in July. Welcome to Kansas.

jayhawkintx73 10 years, 8 months ago

It probably wouldn't be an article of it wasn't KU's player playing in the under 19 World Championships. Be real!

Sam Burns 10 years, 8 months ago

number 17 in the first round??? He wouldn't be higher than 4th on the Jayhawks team. (unless he has an incredible year) Sounds great! I hope he has a great year.

RCHJH

Sam Burns 10 years, 8 months ago

I stand corrected. I went to draftexpress.com and checked it out for myself. Cole is number 4 in the first round, Tyshawn is number 17, Xavier is number 22, and Sherron is number 3 in the second round. I never would have guessed this!

waywardJay 10 years, 8 months ago

Sherron's not higher because of 2-3 inches...... and Xavier's not higher because he has played a team game in the AAU games,..... reality is.... those two will score alot of points in college and tyshawn will rack up alot of assists TO THEM..... Those who have been commenting on tyshawn's assists have been mostly right, but..... 27.3 from college 3 isn't going to keep him at 17 for long.....

Besides no one wants to go just out of the lottery......

Case in point.... success at this position

2009- Jrue Holiday ( didn't think he was ready for big time ) 2008- Roy Hibbert ( has not met expectations thus far ) 2007- Sean Williams ( who ? ) 2006- Shawne Williams ( who ? ) 2005- Danny Granger ( STEAL ) 2004- Josh Smith ( decent player ) 2003- Zarko Cabarkapa ( who ? )

GOing back that far ( i could go farther if we need to )..... 2 for 7......

waywardJay 10 years, 8 months ago

i looked back to 1993 and the only other player of all star caliber..... in fact ... reasonably as far as i know the only player in the leaguue drafted at 17 was Jermaine O'neal..... Bob Sura was in 1994 but im pretty sure he retired.

In draft side note..... Robert Traylor was drafted ahead of both Dirk Nowitzki and Paul Pierce ..... What ?

yates33333 10 years, 8 months ago

As expected, Taylor is going to be a first class player for KU. He already was as a freshman!!

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 8 months ago

Wow!!! Tyshawn projected ahead of Xavier!!!

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 8 months ago

No way I would give Mizzou that great of odds. Didn't they lose the bulk of their talent???

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 8 months ago

FYI

Three Jayhawks in the first round. Finally moved Sherron into the 1st!!!

Joe Baker 10 years, 8 months ago

I would put Texas over some of those teams. They will be our only competition in the B12 and we play them in Austin. Missouri will not be the same without those key players. They are definitely overrated for the season projection. Tyshawn must develop that trey...defense alone will not get you into the NBA. Russell Robinson has done a great job developing his trey and this will make him much more marketable with his many skills. Russell and Tyshawn are very similar.

Keep up the good work Tyshawn...you're going the right direction!

RCJHKU

KUSmurf 10 years, 8 months ago

Wait a second, Mizzou has 15-1 odds? Who the hell would bet on them?

Daniel Rojas 10 years, 8 months ago

Anyone still doubt Tyshawn will be running the point this year?

Nick Adams 10 years, 8 months ago

"Another basketball article in July. Welcome to Kansas"

You read the article didn't you? Then I guess it was worth writing.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 8 months ago

I really think Tyshawn is going to be a starter.

The starting FIVE (IMHO):

G Collins G Taylor G X. Henry F Marcus Morris C Aldrich

Eric TheCapn 10 years, 8 months ago

I know the site has a format it wants to stick to, but cropping that photo like that looks, well just stupid. You can stray from the norms a little, editors. Don't be scurred.

truefan 10 years, 8 months ago

I don't know if Tyshawn Taylor will be a starter or not, that decision is reserved for the coach, but I really can't see him ever red shirting. He is way too valuable to our team as either a starter or a great sixth man coming off the bench. Red shirting him would be a waste of a much needed talent to get KU another title.

Jonathan Allison 10 years, 8 months ago

I agree with atl. Morningstar, and Reed will probably come in to spell Sherron and Taylor. When Sherron is out and Taylor is in, Taylor is the primary ball handler. Taylor and Morningstar will probably split time quite a bit. When Taylor and Sherron are both in the game they will probably take turns bringing the ball up the court.

Here's our guard situation as I see it.

Sherron plays 24 mpg Taylor plays 18 Morningstar 16 X. Henry 20 Little 12 Reed 10 CJ 8 Releford 6 Elijah 6

EJ could get some of Morningstar, Reed, and TT's minutes if he's good. But it would maybe be wise for him or Releford to take a RS.

Daniel Rojas 10 years, 8 months ago

Maxhawk, really??? Brady and Elijah battling Ty for p.t.? I won't put u on blast just yet....I do however have a memory like an elephant and will remember that. Cole, Sherron and Ty are locks to start! I love Brady and Tyrell, but they'll be battling Cj and Elijah to see who's comin off the bench while the Rock Chalks are going off in the background. JMHO! Tyrell isn't leading the USA under 19 team in shooting and assist for no reason......he can flat out play! Another great Jayhawk also played on this team, none other than Nick Collison. Pretty good company to be in.

Daniel Rojas 10 years, 8 months ago

Plastic.....thats 120 mins for the guards by your calculations? theirs 40 mins in a game, 2 guard spots that = 80mins? Ur 40 mins over. Thats just way too many! Theirs only 1 ball, and 40mins a game. I wish all those guys could get the minutes u put up their ad that they deserve......but its not happening. Thats 9 guys. then u gotta add Cole, the twins and jeff in their......thats a 13 man rotation?

Jeff Worthington 10 years, 8 months ago

Tyshawn could red-shirt, really it could happen. And also, monkeys might fly out my butt. -Mike Myers, Wayne's World

kvskubball 10 years, 8 months ago

biggdogg...

Plastic is obviously counting the 1, 2, and 3 positions as guard positions.

jayhawkinatl,

I agree, Missou lost their front line. Most of their guards return, but they'll be looking for the beef underneath...

truehawk,,,,

I agree that Texas is almost certainly going to be the main competition in the Big XII this year. Missou and OU lost their front lines, and Baylor lost their guards.

It will be interesting to see how OSU plays. A&M has almost everyone back. The Kitties should be decent too. Iowa State has a great player in Brackins.

My prediction is that the Big XII will be the second best conference in the country this year (If not first). The Big XII should be a dandy!

This year's Big XII recruiting classes are outstanding, plus KU (Withey) and Texas (PG Jai Lucas - from Florida) both have high caliber tranfers that will be eligible this year.

I know its only July, but I'm ready for them to lace 'em up and roll that ball out there!

jeanll36_iloveu 10 years, 8 months ago

tyshawn will not red-shirt, so please don't hold your breath on that one.......... startin isn't a issue with him, a team player is what he is... and fightin for playin time isn't a issue.....KU fans kill me, let alone gettin minutes,going to the NBA let's talk about 4 years of college and a degree just in case something happens and all fails.... we should just be hopin for a good season and whoever is on the floor get's the job done!!!!!!!!!!!

Hawkin8r 10 years, 8 months ago

Good job Tyshawn! Way to REPRESENT the U.S.A. and KU proudly!

I think the lineup that jayhawkinatl listed is right on. Those guys start until someone pushes them out, and I don't see Tyshawn getting pushed out by anyone anytime soon.

I'm sure Carl Henry thinks CJ should start, but he will have to earn his time. He won't start or play much until he shows us what he can do during practice and games, so it will take some time. I'm hoping CJ is good enough to start, but there's no way he'll step in and be better than Tyshawn at the start of the season - especially with the great experience Tyshawn is getting right now.

ChicagoJHawk 10 years, 8 months ago

Maxhawk,

The fact that Tyshawn is leading the U19 team in scoring doesn't mean anything to you?? How about the fact that NBA scouts have him projected to be drafted in the first round. I always thought he was good, I don't need to read it from anyone else, but that just helps to prove my point.

Don't you think Tyrel Reed & Morningstar would be invited to try out for some of these national teams if they were better? Who cares if Carl Henry thinks CJ & X are better? That's easy to say now but lets see what happens when the season comes around. Besides, Self will probably have Tyshawn play just b/c he knows the system & is experienced, at first at least (assuming X & CJ really are that much better).

Will Tyshawn Taylor start? I don't know, maybe he'll play the 2 or maybe he'll come off the bench for Sherron, but to say he should redshirt is just crazy.

ChicagoJHawk 10 years, 8 months ago

Also...everyone is comparing Tyshawn to Chalmers, there's a reason for that. Self even said he's better than how Chalmers was as a freshman. Taylor is NOT redshirting, now way! He will get his minutes for sure.

KGphoto 10 years, 8 months ago

Tyshawn sporting the headband. Cool. Wonder if that'll fly during the season.

I don't remember seeing any headbands since Bill arrived. In fact I'm trying to think of ANY Kansas player to wear a band.

Some that come to mind.

Aaron Miles, ocasionally J.R. Giddens Paul Pierce (or is that just in Boston?) Drew Gooden (same. Just in the pros?) Kenny Gregory, ocasionally

But none since Bill. Anyone know if that's a Self law?

ChicagoJHawk 10 years, 8 months ago

One more thing...don't mean to bust your balls too much MaxHawk but I just found something interesting. Check this one out by Jesse Newell, You be the coach: A statistical exercise. http://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/newe...

K_Easthouse 10 years, 8 months ago

I just took a look at that updated 2010 mock draft, and Tyshawn isn't listed anywhere. Did he really go from a first-round pick to nothing?

100 10 years, 8 months ago

Sherron will go in the 1st round too -- he's a flat out winner -- NBA teams will see this trend, especially if the team does go 40-0.

His assist to turnover ratio will be fantastic this year with all our weapons working together.

CJ, as well, is an incredible athlete with great height for his position, a great build, a bulldog of a player, and a heckuva game (Derrick Rose comparisons) recall our knowledge of his game & the overall fan jubilation after signing him in 2005 -- probably not 2010, but 2011 could go in the first round (on a sidenote I think CJ could come up huge against teams like Missouri where we never know when they'll run & jump with their suprise press). CJ is an attacker and as we saw last year that is how we beat that relatively weak press -- make it MU's weakness with superior ballhandlers that can carve it up & get it down the court ASAP.

The best thing about this team next year will be the rock solid defense. It will be similar to watching the 2008 team in that regard, and that is another huge item that will have the scouts salivating. In fact this is the most important aspect of next season in my opinion, tough defense & controlling the boards, especially considering we really should be able to score at will, as long as we've called sets that even remotely fit the situation.

Jonathan Allison 10 years, 8 months ago

I was considering the 1, 2, and 3 positions as guards. Perhaps I should have been more clear by saying perimeter players rather than guards. Of course I guess I could have included Marcus Morris as a 3 as well, but I see him playing primarily power forward. He might be a wing in one or two sets, but he won't be there much.

We are going to have incredible roster flexibility. Marcus can play 4 or 3, Little knows how to play the 4 from last year. And so many of our guards will be interchangeable. I like the big man rotation of Cole, Marcus, Withey, Markieff, and Robinson. We should be flat out stacked at every position.

yovoy 10 years, 8 months ago

maxhawk, divergence is not permitted nor encouraged here. toe the line!

i like your reasoning; nice to have someone else not afraid to be "out there". while it would help us in the long run, shirting wouldn't be a bad idea but it's doubtful. also doubtful is that sherron will only get 24 min. who is coach going to give them to? better yet? who's going to TAKE them? certainly not the guy that everyone seems to think is the second coming. i don't mean x.

ourSelf has said he doesn't like having a large number of players in the rotation, people. something's got to give: either he'll change that philosophy, there will be lots of talent on the bench (and disillusioned players leave easily). either way there is going to be sacrifice, and he's got a lot of stuff to manage besides basketball.

brady can't shirt, but he can sit. i think he's good enough to play, and he'll give you good mins now matter how many or how few. he's also older/more mature than most people on the team, besides cj. i think he should be about 22 or so.

tyrell could shirt, but the way ourSelf recruits he might not be able to afford to. i'd guess he'd be more likely to than tyshawn.

x. shirt?! the league is calling him, so he's doing us the "favor" of being here for a year. just ask his....

cj. shirt? he's the second best player on the team. just ask his....

releford could shirt, but i don't know why. his size, strength, aggression, and knack for being around the ball might make it hard to keep him off the floor. he needs to make better decisions and become a better defender - consistently. he really would make a good candidate for a shirt; just don't know if he'd do it.

robinson - could. he's a guard, right?

johnson - could.

Joe Baker 10 years, 8 months ago

Tyshawn starts due to his valuable experience. Self wasn't wasting his time by playing him so often as a freshman. He definitely starts because he's smart and he plays team ball for the "W". If Tyshawn get's his trey, we'll have tremendous firepower at will. Reed has one of the best last second dagger shots I've ever seen. But it doesn't matter who starts, they will all shoot the lights out against any team. I wouldn't want to play them if I were on the opposing team. They're all dangerous!!

RCJHKU

waywardJay 10 years, 8 months ago

the two that make the most sense to shirt are Reed and Releford....

we can play-

Sherron ( Johnson / Cj ) Tyshawn ( Johnson / Cj ) Xavier ( Brady/ Mario / Mc Morris )

without them.....

waywardJay 10 years, 8 months ago

Of course, we could be looking at this starting line up.....

Sherron ( EJ/ CJ ) Brady ( Ty/ CJ ) Xavier ( Mario ) Mc Morris ( Kieff Rob ) Aldrich ( Withey Kieff / Rob )

Two things I learned about Bill Self in our championship year....

He's fiercely loyal..... we should have been starting D Jack Long before he pulled Sasha back.

He loves having a "starter" on the bench...and Tyshawn looks GREAT in that position.

tstanlick1909 10 years, 8 months ago

yovoy,

Robinson, a guard?

Releford may redshirt, maybe, but that would be it

waywardJay 10 years, 8 months ago

naw robinson will be a thin beast in the middle ( at least this year.... ) hudy willg et him next year after she's done weighting up Withey

yovoy 10 years, 8 months ago

is robinson a big? if so, that's better. how tall is he/how much does he weigh currently?

Joel Hood 10 years, 8 months ago

waywardJay,
Darnell Jackson shouldn't have started until his last year. Sasha was better and more consistent his Soph & Jr years. Darnell had some nagging lower back problems; he had to sit until January his Jr year because of the NCAA ruling; and all those things slowed his progression into the starting lineup until his Sr year. Plus, Sasha kept improving too and he is very athletic.

Joe Baker 10 years, 8 months ago

I think Tyshawn and Brady will have a shoot out. They both need some serious consistency. I give Brady a slight edge, but it all depends on who wants it more. Brady was quoted giving up his scholly for the team? I think Ty starts!

waywardJay (anonymous) says...

I like this lineup, except Brady is a Junior and showed little to no consistency during his Soph yr. I think Ty edges him for most playing time.

Joel Hood 10 years, 8 months ago

truehawk93, Brady showed no consistency (???) Away from the ball, Brady was the most consistent guy we had, especially on D. He has as much grit as any kid on this team and coach loves that kind of effort. His 3-pt shooting pct dropped during the last half of the season - that is the only inconsistency I can really think of. Maybe I'm wrong...

I know we have all these new faces to get excited about, but all the new faces have a lot to learn. I'm going to get blasted here, but it would not shock me to see X come off the bench until January. Coach always makes guys earn their playing time in practice and scoring the ball is just one component of that. Anyone remember Quintrell starting early last year? I'd bet the starting lineup doesn't settle until after conference play begins - there is just so much talent to sift through.

100 10 years, 8 months ago

It's not even a question. We're talking a guy that's being predicted to be 17th in the first round.

Each player on our team is very special. As such, they knew there's not a better way to become a great player than to sign up with excellent talent, superior coaching, bigtime games & hard, fun practices against guys you'll respect for the rest of your life.

Look back at some of these comments. Anyone who doesn't see the obvious and isn't excited about next year's team is quite obviously someone posing, trying to mess with the online KU fans.

Don't let these guys mess with our boards -- report them. I won't name names -- it's pretty obvious whose rooting for MU & UK on this site, giving our team backhanded overly critical (mean) veiled comments three times a day.

Support the Hawks.

yovoy 10 years, 8 months ago

you're not getting blasted for you opinion. if x is as advertised, then he'll start. i don't know if he is the kind of defender that ourSelf is going to want on the floor, esp in the early season, so you might be right. i'd guess that he can defend well enough to be on the floor early and often. i'd like to see practices this year w/ cj going up against sherron!

all i know is that brady was most often matched up on the other team's best guard. he shot the ball very well too. he's a very complete player. good bb iq, and i don't know how many loose balls, or 50/50 balls we won last year, but morningstar probaby got 60+% of what our team total in that area. he created a lot of possessions. i don't think coaches overlook that sort of thing.

Joe Baker 10 years, 8 months ago

jayhawkerjoel (anonymous) says...

No you're not wrong! Brady was our most consistent defensively. I'm talking about the trey. I would always watch him make a great defensive play and wanted him to hit the arc for a draino. I just had great expectations in his Soph yr. He better bring his D and his O for the total package. He can't just be Mr Defense all the time. He must compete the series and drain the trey when needed. I know can do it! Don't underestimate Ty's defense either. He's very RussRob-like, with a little Chalmers. Bottom line: Ty and Brady shoot it out. I say Brady has an edge, but if Ty keeps improving his trey, he plays most games! All I ultimately care about is a NC!!

Tony Bandle 10 years, 8 months ago

I am against anyone redshirting. There is strength in numbers, and even greater strength in positional depth. Competition for playing time will drive the bar higher for every new guy and force every veteran guy to maintain a high standard.

I can just see March now...yoohoo, Mr. KU Opponent..we're going to rest Cole, Sherron, TY, Marcus and X right now. All we can put on the floor is a healthy Juco MVP, a whirling dervish seven footer, a topflight guard built like a linebacker, a rebounding maniac and a "prophet' who will deliver the truth.

Oh yes, if that isn't enough, we have a couple of defensive maniacs, another "TWIN Tower", and a lightning bolt combo surprise....welcome to basketball Hell!!!!!

Lance Hobson 10 years, 8 months ago

I love the fact that Tyshawn is projected in the first round, that really shows what a steal he was and how underrated he was as a hs player. That said, I find it hard to believe that he's better than Chalmers, who was a second round pick.

waywardJay 10 years, 8 months ago

chalmers was underrated in his draft..... that's ok... once Dwayne goes to Newyork with lebron chalmers will be the man of a team....as a second round pick.....

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 8 months ago

The only reason I can see Sherron slipping to the early 2nd round is his inability to maintain weight. It may scare some NBA teams off. You can only do that yo-yo stuff when you're younger...will definitely be harder to lose the weight the older he gets.

mjlindsm 10 years, 8 months ago

I haven't heard any good reasoning for Taylor to start over Morningstar, with the exception of truehawk93. Tyshawn's ability to create and get a shot, and more importantly his huge edge in confidence over Brady may propel him to earn the starting spot over Morningstar or Henry (I'm not putting Henry's name in the starting lineup in pen until I see him play a college game, make good decisions, and guard the way Self likes).

But with the firepower we have, I just think Brady is a better fit. Good decision-maker, outside shooter, and defender. He's way ahead of Taylor in all those categories, and that's why he played so many more minutes than Taylor. For those of you who think Taylor is a lock as a starter early in the season, please explain with logic why you think Taylor will improve so much more than Morningstar? Because either Taylor will have to improve a lot more than Brady, or Self will just wake up one morning and decide, "Wait a second, I should have been playing Tyshawn more than Brady this whole time!" Seeing as the latter doesn't seem possible, please convince me of the former.

jaybate 10 years, 8 months ago

jaybate news service:

News Update...

"Half Way into Fortnightly Carl Henry Quote Cycle, Henry Brothers Still Coming to KU"

We are now about half way into the 14 day interim period between Carl Henry quotes that goose up (intentionally, or accidentally) the media coverage of the Henry Brothers.

Reputedly, KU's Jim Marchiony is working on a power-of-positive-thinking novelization of the entire recruiting saga of the Henry Brothers to be called "All Quiet on the Southern Front." He will reportedly use the nom de plume of Erich Maria Marchiony Baumer in homage to his favorite novel by Erich Remarque.

shoedee 10 years, 8 months ago

Hey KU fans, I wanted to point out that Tyshawn Taylor is not getting much love on the comment section of his profile at the FIBA website. On the other hand, Darius Miller of Kentucky has a page full of fans cheering him on. Let's give TT some love:

waywardJay 10 years, 8 months ago

Perhaps, Jaybate.... When they went down to OKC... BIll Self clamly stood before the henry's..... and said.....

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

jeanll36_iloveu 10 years, 8 months ago

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!Mjlindsm Excuse me tyshawn is better then morningstar,and can't nobody coach this team from the bench or the stands beside bill........As a freshmen he started over morningstar and definitely as a sophmore he will!!!!!!!!! Self don't need too wake up the fans do, let me see you'll get you'll asssssss out there and play!!!!!!!

Sam Burns 10 years, 8 months ago

Good comment Oak, I laughed out loud and enjoyed the "Hell".

Here's my HO on playing time.

Guards; Sherron, TJ & CJ getting most of the PT (TJ &CJ alt. starts) w/ Tyrel and EJ picking up a few minutes.

3) Xavier, relieved by Brady if BS wants 3 guards vs. our opp., or Mario if he wants another big.

4) Marcus, Rob., & Kief splitting time.( in that order)

5) Cole playing as much as possible, w/ Kief early, then our "whirling dervish seven footer" when eligible.

Red shirt possibilities; Tyrel, EJ, Mario (can Mario redshirt?) But who would really want to red shirt when they have such a good chance to win it all?

Sam Burns 10 years, 8 months ago

And yes, Releford got left out. I'm sorry, it sucks, but there aren't enough mins. (our next transfer, or at least redshirt).

And Carl got left out......... Let's promise to leave him out of everything from now on.

I agree about BS's loyalty. I would have played Cole a lot more his frosh.year, and it would have probably cost Sasha a lot of money in the long run. DJ too. I would have started DJ and then gone to Cole. He didn't get that much better against NC, he just finally got his chance. (this will get some strong reactions, but once again, just not enough minutes in a game when you have that kind of talent).

WisconsinJayhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

Liked this part:

I like that kid.

waywardJay 10 years, 8 months ago

burnsey,

Carl will always work his way back into the picture.... His eleigibility is spent, I could still see him petitioning the NCAA for one more year of eligibility just so he can play wiht his boys......

bayareajhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

ChicagoJHawk, I'm guessing that part of the reason Morningstar and Reed weren't selected for the Under-19 National Team is that they aren't under 19. :-)

I'm a bit taken aback by all the criticism of anyone who dares suggest that Tyshawn won't start. I think it's very possible that he won't. It's fairly likely that he will, but he is competing for time with some excellent players, namely Sherron Collins, Brady Morningstar, Xavier Henry and Mario LIttle.

Sherron Collins needs no introduction here. As long as he plays within himself, he is one of the best guards in the nation.

Brady Morningstar was probably on the court more than any other player last season. He was our defensive stopper, and played with much more poise than Tyshawn. He also shot a lot better than Tyshawn. Athletically, Tyshawn is superior. But athletic ability isn't everything.

Then you have Xavier Henry, who is supposedly the best incoming freshman in the nation. He is a bit of an unknown quantity, as are all freshmen, but will it really surprise anyone that much if he comes in and starts right away?

Mario Little is a very talented player, and a senior. We still don't know what he can do when fully healthy.

The bottom line is that this team has tremendous talent, and Bill can't really go wrong no matter who he starts. I can't wait to see this team!

thedudelovesKU 10 years, 8 months ago

tyshawn will secure the spot outright over brady...usually the the most improvement for a college player occurs from freshman to sophmore year and tyshawn has shown us all how good he is within his frosh year...i know its far fetched and don't think it will play out this way, but tyshawn could have a break out year and get drafted in the first round

though i'm not sure he's ahead of X

maybe http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2010/ knows something we don't

tyshawn was a blue chip and he's paid dividends

Tony Bandle 10 years, 8 months ago

I love Brady but let's compare summers.....Tyshawn is playing his A$$ off against tough international competition.....Brady is recovering from injury.

I think Brady will be a better player by NOT playing more but by coming in for bursts of intense defensive pressure and offensive jolts.....savvy and strong!!!

kubasketball0809 10 years, 8 months ago

I havent posted in a long time so here goes.... IS THAT A BA PIC OF TYSHAWN OR WHAT?????? Since when has he started to wear a head band... Way to go tyshawn keep whooping some a$$ up there...

mjlindsm 10 years, 8 months ago

To say Tyshawn is awesome because draftexpress.com and espn project him as a first rounder next year is faulty. We actually watched Tyshawn the whole time last year. They watched him in the spotlight. That would be the Syracuse game, the Oklahoma game, and the U19 World Games tryouts. That's what these projections from people who have to watch all players are based on. I think we know better because we saw more of Tyshawn.

Oakville, I think you make a very good point about Tyshawn improving his game while Morningstar recoups from his injury. You just about have me convinced Tyshawn could start over Morningstar. Then again, this assumes X is better than both, which I also am still not convinced of until I see him in action. We could very well just have the same starting lineup as last year with a stronger bench and more experience. We would be awesome.

waywardJay 10 years, 8 months ago

the more i see it.... the more i am wanting Ty off the bench running the point as first sub in.....

Ladies and Gentleman.... I think that's the magical formula for us.....

4 minutes increments....

sherron, brady, X, Marcus, Cole SHerron, Tyshawn, X, Markieff, Cole Tyshawn, Cj, Mario, Marcus, Cole Sherron, Ej, brady, Marcus and Kieff Sherron, Brady, X, Marcus and COle

Lather, rinse Repeat as necessary.....

after we are up by 40....

Ej, Tyshawn, Mario, Kieff and Robinson.....

after we are up 60....

empty the bench :)

waywardJay 10 years, 8 months ago

when you look at it..... that is scary SCARY evil what we could do to people.... that's with Reed and Releford redshirting.... and no mention of our " 7 foot whirling dervish from HELL !!!!!!"