Tuesday, July 7, 2009

KU football lands TE commit

Trent Smiley, a tight end prospect out of Frisco (Texas) Wakeland High, has become the Kansas University football team's seventh known commitment in the Class of 2010.

According to Rivals.com, Smiley, who is listed at 6-foot-4 and 225 pounds, gave the Jayhawks a non-binding verbal commitment Monday, a month after taking an unofficial visit to Lawrence.

"I think the facilities were fantastic," Smiley told the Web site. "The weight room and locker room were really nice. But what really stood out to me was how everyone there got along. The family aspect really stuck out in my mind."

In addition to Kansas, Smiley garnered offers from a number of schools, including Florida State, Oklahoma State, Wake Forest and Kentucky.

Comments

OCJHAWK 10 years, 6 months ago

With high quality offers, he must be a stud and another good get for the Hawks. There is a free audio clip with him on Rivals to listen to. He seems to be a potential leader and his ties to Kansas should allow him to settle in fast.

irish2255 10 years, 6 months ago

I'm glad Mangino landed someone with a Kentucky offer. Now we need Coach Self to be able to do the same for the next couple years. (after that Cal will be gone and UK will be giving back wins.)

rockchalkAZ 10 years, 6 months ago

basketball. basketball. bbaasskkeettbbaall.

(just to annoy mr. class of 02)

waywardJay 10 years, 6 months ago

do we forget we are a TWO sport school now, football fans.... Wait.... how can they forget about basketball..... basketball basketball...... ( there's some assistance RCAZ

actorman 10 years, 6 months ago

Floriday State?!?!? We beat out Florida State for a prospect?!?!? Holy merde!!! I still can't believe it when KU gets prospects over the powerhouses.

jayhawkintx73 10 years, 6 months ago

Smiley also visited Oklahoma. I guess he had too much character for them.

Rivethead 10 years, 6 months ago

actorman:

Why the surprise? You remember Chet Hartley from a few seasons ago? Coach Bowden flew all the way out to Kingman, KS to go to his house and make him an offer. But he still ended up coming to KS and playing for Coach Mangino. Wise choice considering the number of BCS bowls KU has played in (and won) compared to FSU during the same period.....

troutsee 10 years, 6 months ago

The beat goes on. We are in the process of becoming a football power. If Mangino stays healthy, look out. I am really pumped for the upcoming season.

Daniel Rojas 10 years, 6 months ago

Did anyone else catch Coach on College Football Live on ESPN yesterday? He's such a coach!!!! LOL! always dodging the "look ahead questions"

Daniel Rojas 10 years, 6 months ago

I LOVE IT!!!! Cant wait for the Season!!!

actorman 10 years, 6 months ago

Of course you're right, Rivethead, but having sat through so many miserable games over the years, including losses to such "powerhouses" as Wichita St. and Northern Illinois -- at HOME, no less -- I still feel like I have to pinch myself whenever KU lands a stellar recruit. It's been tremendous watching the program grow so much over the last few years, but I'm still kind of amazed at the whole thing.

jayhawk02 10 years, 6 months ago

I feel you're amazement actorman..........as I, too, was there for both of those losses :(

suttonku 10 years, 6 months ago

well we got Rickey Herod as well and he was being recruited by Florida...

bayareajhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

We are constantly on the rise, and it's great to see.

Rivethead, my dad is from Kingman and he never told me about Bowden going out there to visit Hartley. I'm going to have to ask him about that one. He won't believe I know something about Kingman that he doesn't. Thanks!

Martin Shupert 10 years, 6 months ago

It's great to see us land the big fish. Mangino has built a powerhouse with 3 and some 4 star players. What's in store when we land a slew of 5 star studs? This is going to be FUN!!!

Rivethead 10 years, 6 months ago

I hear ya actorman. I don't go back that far, but I sat through the SDSU debacle and the dark times under Coach Allen (and Coach Mason's first years too for that matter).

I'm more amazed at our recruiting abilities vs our conference foes. When we get kids who get offers from Texas and OU - that's when I really get amazed. And it's happening more and more.

bayareajhawk: I remember reading about that on one of those recruiting sights, just after Hartley committed to KU.

suttonku: I heard Ricki was/is also being pursued by Texas........

We've come along way from the days when Coach Allen refused to look at some Olathe North kid named Sproles because he thought he was too short........