Friday, July 3, 2009

Taylor helps U.S. improve to 2-0

Kansas University sophomore guard Tyshawn Taylor contributed seven points and five assists as the United States defeated France, 71-55, to improve to 2-0 at the U-19 World Championships this morning in New Zealand.

With the victory, the U.S. assured itself a spot in the second round of the tournament. Team USA previously defeated Iran, 106-55, on Wednesday.

Duke’s Seth Curry led the U.S. with 12 points, while Butler’s Gordon Hayward added 11.

Team USA will face Egypt on Saturday.

Comments

waywardJay 10 years, 7 months ago

Once again, well rounded game by TT..... Taylor appears to be playing well for our country..... who is coaching this team anyway ????

waywardJay 10 years, 7 months ago

answered my own question.....

Jamie Dixon, PIttsburgh..... CHris Lowery, S Illinois..... Matt Painter, Purdue.....

Defense, Defense, Defense...... No wonder Tyshawn is playing for them.... expect a new and improved TT next year

cre017 10 years, 7 months ago

Great job TT! We arre expecting big things from you as a key cog in this team.

Aligned 10 years, 7 months ago

Good job TT. This is the type of story we should all be reading about right now. Thanks

Lance Hobson 10 years, 7 months ago

This kid is really good. He'll be a first round draft pick someday.

bg_duck1 10 years, 7 months ago

yeah someday as in the summer of 2010

mandomax 10 years, 7 months ago

Tyshawn will not enter the draft next year unless he has a blowout year, which I don't forsee with added competition at the 1 and 2 (see CJ Henry, Elijah Johnson). Tyshawn proved himself to be a stellar 2 last year, but only a "competent" 1 with his erratic play and turnovers.

That being said, it's nice to see him turn in such a great performance in NZ. Playing with those defensive-minded (Self-ish) coaches will only help him, and putting up 7 and 5 when the leading scorer for the USA only had 12 is pretty good.

ChicagoJHawk 10 years, 7 months ago

Good points mandomax. It's hard to say, he might get drafted after this year, but like you said, he does have some competition for playing time. Worst case scenario, I'm sure he'll get a minimum of 15 minutes a game, which is enough for him to get noticed.

I saw some article, I think on ESPN, that projected him to go in the 1st round. I think if we win the national championship, and we definitely have a good shot at that, then a few of our guys will be gone & I think Tyshawn may be one of them.

I guess we'll just have to wait & see.

okjhok 10 years, 7 months ago

Like Chicago said, it all depends on how he does in the tournament. We've clearly seen in the past how guy's stock skyrockets with a good showing on the national stage. It's a double-edged sword. If he plays really well, that only increases our shot at a title, which also heightens his draft stock. It will certainly be an interesting year, seeing who steps up the most outside of Ron Ron and Cole.

Hawks82 10 years, 7 months ago

Just b/c we have 3 huge scorers on our team doesnt meant Tyshawn cant put up 15 pounts per game.......we'll just have to score 100 a game :)

100 10 years, 7 months ago

As for NBA draft next year 4 of our guys are being projected as first rounders by an ESPN writer & Tyshawn is one of them.

If Tyshawn can evencome close to what Chalmers could do for us defensively, that's a bigger tool than anything he can do offensively.

As for our fifth starter in April next year (the tossup 4 man), I know many of you respectfully disagree, but I still see Self using Withey as a Lafrentz/ Pollard type combo. Just devestatimg to other teams when your guards at all deadly as are your two seven footers. Obviously, collegiately, Morris has that spot right now and is working very diligently towards this end.

Morris too one day should be NBA bound, but probably a 2nd rounder.

The amazing thi g to me is, next year if Withey does what many analyiststhought he could do out of high school, he should be a first rounder too.

To top it off, again I know that many KU fans are hoping for the best, but for those of us that knew about CJ & his signing with KU in 2005, this kid is absolutely phenomenal. 4 years later, stronger & recovering from a slight injury.

I know right now I stand very alone in this but I will say it anyway -- CJ, maybe not next year, but definitely by the following draft, will be a first round draft pick (and to boot his stock will be made higher by playing in an intelligent system with huge emphasis placed on defense).

JayTee040708 10 years, 7 months ago

I was listening to a podcast prior to the draft a few weeks back, and the author was scouting the U 19 US team. Anywho, when asked who was standing out, he said Ty was far and away the most impressive, & could see him playing his way into the mid first round of the 2010 draft.

Atta boy Tyshawn!

Tony Bandle 10 years, 6 months ago

God Bless You.

You have been preaching the "Twin Towers" concept now for almost a year...if anything, you are consistent. If you are right [and I truly hope you are], Withey could pose matchup problems of nightmarish proportions for KU opponents as the 4 in the second semester, Dec 2009.

In reality, what do any of us have to go on as far as the new guys next year???? Hearsay, reports, high school videos, camps, each others opinions, etc. Let's just wait and see.

Life is made up of common moments interrupted by great joys and great sorrows, with the joys, hopefully outnumbering the sorrows. My gut feeling is this next basketball season is going to be a great joy for a long time!!