Originally published July 1, 2009 at 03:14p.m., updated July 2, 2009 at 12:00a.m.

Self confident Henrys will attend Kansas

Oklahoma prep standout Xavier Henry, right, announces his commitment to Kansas University as mother Barbary Henry looks on in this file photo from April 23 in Oklahoma City.

Kansas coach Bill Self confirmed Wednesday afternoon that the Henry brothers remain committed to KU.

Audio clip

KU coach Bill Self teleconference

All was quiet in Bill Self’s temporary basketball office in the northwest corner of Anschutz Pavilion at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, the day after he, Danny Manning and Joe Dooley met with members of the Henry family in Oklahoma City.

“It’s not anything terrible we dealt with. The boys are as committed (to attending KU) as they have ever been,” Self, Kansas University’s seventh-year coach, said of Xavier and C.J. Henry, who Tuesday were reportedly considering dumping KU for Kentucky because of ill feelings over a Kansas City newspaper article printed last weekend.

“The reasons they are not here are strictly medical reasons. They don’t have to do with anything else. People should talk themselves off the ledge so to speak if you are a KU fan, because we’re fine, and they’re fine. I do think it’s over. We should not be talking about this again,” Self stated.

“This” is the idea that the Henry brothers might be heading somewhere besides KU to play basketball this season.

“It’s resolved,” Self said. He was referring to the “firestorm” created when the brothers’ dad, Carl Henry, appeared on K.C. 610 radio Tuesday and indicated his boys might be Kentucky-bound because of hurt feelings.

“What happened in their mind was a newspaper article that they felt didn’t portray them in the way they thought they deserved to be portrayed. Because of that article there were numerous posts by supposed fans — they could be whoever on the Internet — that created a stir, where, ‘Hey, this is how people feel about us. Maybe we should think about going somewhere else,’’’ Self said.

“They were disappointed and hurt by what they thought the Kansas people were perceiving their family to be. They work long and hard like all families to develop a certain type work ethic and reputation and thought that was being looked at negatively. We talked about it, got it out in the open.”

Self — who was asked by the family to come to OKC Tuesday — said it was more the Henrys’ parents upset than the future KU players.

“The boys were fine. As a matter of fact, I got down there and they were saying, ‘What are you guys doing here?’ After we all talked about it, we got to a resolution which really didn’t take much ... I think they are fine,” Self said.

Carl Henry on Wednesday apologized to KU fans for letting his anger over the newspaper article get the better of him. He also changed his cell phone number Wednesday and doesn’t plan to give it to media members.

“What happened was a misunderstanding and I jumped the gun,” Carl told Rivals.com. “I don’t like anybody attacking my kids or attacking me or attacking my family. C.J. and Xavier are coming to Kansas as planned.”

As far as the two looking into playing overseas a few weeks ago ... “Somebody had stirred enough interest, ‘You might make this kind of money in Europe.’ As a parent, I’d think about that. I encouraged them to do that,” Self said of looking into it.

“I didn’t think they’d go there. Never did they waver on coming to Kansas.”

Self said the Henry brothers and Carl realize Self will be working the brothers hard.

“I am the coach ... When they signed up to have the boys play for us, they gave them to us to coach,” Self said. “Carl and I have a good relationship. He is well aware at every institution there is one guy in charge and one only. That’s the head coach.”

Comments

BabyJayBate 10 years, 7 months ago

This was obviously just a ploy by Carl to stir up some more attention for himself. He was no longer in the spot light so he had to do something. I feel sorry for both X and CJ. Their dad is completely controlling this whole situation. He never was recruited heavily, never had a chance at the NBA, so now that his sons are in this situation he wants all the attention he can get. He is obviously living vicariuosly through his sons, and it is not fair to them. If I was X or CJ, I would have told my dad to shut the $#%* up a long time ago. Any thoughts on this jaybate?

jayhawkinnc 10 years, 7 months ago

I don't think Carl is trying to steal the spotlight away from his son(s), I just think he's a control freak and so badly wants the best basketball future for his boys. Imagine how vocal he will be when he questions X's or CJ's playing time or how Self is running the team. Hopefully Carl will let Self do his job and everything will work out just fine.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 7 months ago

Gavin Fritton 10 years, 7 months ago

Easy there, BJB. I understand why this had everyone worked up, but le's take the man at his word. He said he was sorry, he admits he "jumped the gun" and he understands that his actions were intended one way and perceived in another. Part of the problem appears to be that Carl and/or his family were concerned about how they'd be perceived and treated in Lawrence and you telling him to STFU only fuels that. It's water under the bridge and let's all just take a deep breath.

Oh, and he was drafted by the Kings out of college. So it would appear he had "a chance" at the NBA. I believe him when he says he's only trying to do what's right for his kids and even if he is misguided, at least he is making an effort.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 7 months ago

...he obviously has a tendency of talking without thinking!!!

kugolfer217 10 years, 7 months ago

kusayzone 10 years, 7 months ago

My opinion is that sometimes during an interview, parts of an interview can be left out to enhance the story and to sell newspapers. I wasn't there, but somehow I think this might have happened to Carl. He was upset because what he wanted to say was not what was printed! The story is not that bad, just probably misrepresented Carl's thoughts. Who is really going to know the whole story???? Carl has learned that you have to be careful----the media will use you as a headliner for their own ploy! Leaving out a few words here or there can change the whole connotation of what you were trying to say. And the mountain was born from a molehill. Some KU fans will over-react by what they read or hear! Passion always sells!

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 7 months ago

5DecadeHawk 10 years, 7 months ago

Mizery fans that posted under the KCStar article while posing as KU fans are probably laughing their butts off right now.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 7 months ago

BabyJayBate 10 years, 7 months ago

gavinesq,

If Carl is really concerned about what the papers perception of his family is then he is in some serious trouble. There are going to be article written about you in a bad light from time to time. Also, if me telling him to STFU is going to hurt his feelings then there is a problem there too. If he would have kept his mouth shut through this entire process, none of this would have happened. The guy is a complete drama queen plain and simple.

Bill Kackley 10 years, 7 months ago

This whole episode just proves one thing, parents and athletes should either stay away from these types of blogs or realize that half of the people who comment on these things are full of ---- and don't know their ----- from a hole in the ground.

If I had kids getting the kind of negative comments I've seen on here I would be upset. But the comments vwill be there, just stay away from them.

BabyJayBate 10 years, 7 months ago

kugolfer217 (anonymous) says... Give the man a break. He apologized. Let's as fans act classy towards these men and their parents.

You act like this is the first time Carl has stuck his foot in his mouth. The guy is a joke, and this is not the last we have heard from him...I can guarantee that.

notigers4me 10 years, 7 months ago

It's amazing how everyone who is not in the know thinks they are and that includes all of the above. None of us was there and all we can do is take the man at his word. I believe that if everyone who is in the know such as Coach and the Henry's say it was all just overblown and that Carl made a mistake, then I take that to be the truth. They don't owe any of us anthing, so let's move forward. Great job Carl with accepting the blame like a real man. My hat is off to you. You are still one of the Kansas greats.

BabyJayBate 10 years, 7 months ago

notigers4me,

you are a little naive my friend...

Tony Bandle 10 years, 7 months ago

BabyJayBate.....did you get Jaybate's permission to become his relative ??? :}

Upset, wildly supportive, PO'd, concilitory, mad, sad, glad, etc....if nothing else, this is an example of the passion of KU Nation. There ain't no apathy on this apple cart!!!!!!!

notigers4me 10 years, 7 months ago

I may be a lot of things but naive is not one of them. I am certain that you are definitely in the know with all of your wonderful insight about Carl and his character.

BabyJayBate 10 years, 7 months ago

Oakville,

No, I did not. I am his illegitimate son, and he obviuosly will not even acknowledge my existence. It hurts, but I will get over it.

BabyJayBate 10 years, 7 months ago

I am obviously not in the know, but you act like this is the first time Carl has done this. Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice shame on you.... You are an idiot. Keep thinking Carl is this standup guy because he apologized. LOL, ROFLSHMPFO

KUFan90 10 years, 7 months ago

Breaking News...jayhawkinatl and BabyJayBate are 2 of those MU posers. Where is the "suggest banning from this site" button?

ku4fan 10 years, 7 months ago

seriously who cares what the guy says, with x and cj we are big favorites for another title. Thing is they need to get to campus first and the dickheads in forums and in the papers almost ruined that. I support both x and cj and have mixed feelings for carl, but im not out here dissing any of them, cus as a KU fan i want a title before we lose the whole team to the draft again.

Marcia Parsons 10 years, 7 months ago

BabJayBate: Actually, you have it backwards when you say-- Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice shame on you.... It's really "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." If you are going to trash someone you should at least get it right.

KEITHMILES05 10 years, 7 months ago

So, do I understsand that the boys didn't even know their future coaches were coming to OKC?

Talk about a messed up family, geez. All this drama about having family meetings and talking is total nonsense. It is quite obvious this family has not nor ever intends to communicate.

Nice to see Carl manning up and apologizing for his outrageous behavior.

Finally, Carl will STFU and let his kids live their dream.

cklarock 10 years, 7 months ago

Mr. Henry: "He who knows does not say, he who says does not know." - Lao Tzu.

It will go better if you step back from the spotlight.

BabyJayBate 10 years, 7 months ago

KUFan90,

Don't hate....

ku4fan,

Do you really believe the negative comments in the papers and forums almost ruined our chances at getting the Henry brothers? That just seems a bit ridiculous to me.

oldalum,

I apologize for the typo. You know what I meant.

Keith,

Don't be so sure Carl with keep his mouth shut now. That is just not his style.

BabyJayBate 10 years, 7 months ago

cklarock (anonymous) says... Mr. Henry: "He who knows does not say, he who says does not know." - Lao Tzu.

It will go better if you step back from the spotlight.

-best post all day...

Brian Skelly 10 years, 7 months ago

Aldrich / Morris / Henry / Taylor / Collins --- Not to shabby.

Robinson / Morris / Reed / Morningstar / C.J. / Eli Johnson --- these guys could start at most D-I schools.

Minutes are going to be tight... and in theory (with emphasis) that should do nothing but make us better. Right?

As ive said on posts earlier... we just need the drama to end, one way or another.

It appears it has for now... at least until Carl Henry doesnt like the color of the Lexus he's driving.

mojayhawk 10 years, 7 months ago

Leave them alone. There are hoops to be played.

Rock Chalk

100 10 years, 7 months ago

LJW -- lots of MU/ UK posers on here (read first comment for instance). Why does the suggest removal button not work?

CJ & X -- Get ready for a fun year -- Allen Fieldhouse is gonna be one fantastic place to be all year with this team.. And look up at those banners the first time you step on Naismith Court -- by the time you leave there will be a couple more.

Keckadek 10 years, 7 months ago

It's a good things that we ku fans are so passionate about our school but personally im cutting everyone in the Henry family some slack on this one.

No big deal.

Now let's go win it all in 2010 and hopefully we play Kentucky along the way.

Holla Balla!

Chris Bruning 10 years, 7 months ago

carl is worried about how his sons will be treated in lawrence cuz of ONE article?...pleeeease we're the best fans in the country. we expect lots, but we won't treat our own bad. chill out MR. HENRY your boys are safe here.

kupark 10 years, 7 months ago

BabyJayBate's father on the other post echos his son's sentiments: Their latest committment means as much as their committments to Memphis and Kansas. And, I agree completely with the JayBates!

Steve Yeakel 10 years, 7 months ago

Dear Henry Family - I apologize to you on behalf of the many, many, many, overwhelming majority of KU fans who are delighted that your wonderful sons are coming to KU, and are so sorry that a tiny minority of our fans, on websites such as these, would attempt to ruin that experience for you or for us. God Bless them, this is America, they have First Amendment rights. I live in Louisville and would not be surprised if at least a few of this tiny minority were saboteurs, are really UK fans poising as KU fans, to try to turn you away from us and to them. But I do have to admit that at least some of them do consider themselves as KU fans, and just were not raised better than to respect and support you as you work your way through your difficult issues. On behalf of our vast majority of fans, we welcome you to KU!!! Go Jayhawks!!!

KU1992 10 years, 7 months ago

everyone should take the time to listen to bill's teleconference. It is pretty reassuring. They left a lot of information out in the article.

BabyJayBate 10 years, 7 months ago

fatcletus,

Nice change of the name there with Gay instead of Jay. That is funny.

To call me a MU/UK poser is laughable. I don't understand why everyone is so quick to forgive, when Carl has done nothing but stir up drama throughout this entire recruiting process. He is worthless. He obviously has no idea how to handle the media, and he has done nothing but shed negative light on his sons. So now that Carl has apologized I am sure he will have nothing more to say. Not likely. He apologized to save face and nothing more. Keep on slurpin away posters. I am sure the Henry family is reading everything.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 7 months ago

This is bordering on ridiculous. Anyone thinking Carl is media hungry or trying to steal his sons thunder, needs to come out from underneath their rock and enjoy the sunshine. If anything, Carl has tried keeping his sons on course. The media is always trying to make a story where none exist. Don't get caught up in the media game.

TheTruth08 10 years, 7 months ago

I've been critical of the Henrys for months. And yesterday drove me up the wall. Their comments in The Star article drove me up the wall. However, today it's over. I'm over it. And fans should be as well. KU basketball fans love their team with all of their heart. They love their players with all of their heart. And a lot of the time players can't see it. The fans love the Henrys and they want to see them play for the team they love. And when they don't return that love, fans feel slighted. It's like loving a spouse that won't commit to you and is always looking to fool around. I think the fans want to know the Henrys love them as much they love the Henrys. That's all. Carl missed the point and fans missed it as well. Fans just want to know that the Henrys care about them. The Henrys want to know KU fans care for them, as well. Emotions get in the way of the bigger picture. For the first time, Xavier's text said something definitive. "I'm goin to KU and that's final." That's a straight-forward comment straight from the horse's mouth. Xavier made it clear. Carl Henry apologized. I'm fine with both. Am I worried about how the Henrys will affect the chemistry? A little bit. But I trust Bill Self to work that out.It's over. It's done. Let's move on, hope the team comes together, the players improve and KU finishes the season with a NC championship. 2008's title was one of the happiest moments of my life. And I'm really excited to have an opportunity to see that happen again. This is going to be a special season.

David Lara 10 years, 7 months ago

John Randall 10 years, 7 months ago

[quote]I am obviously not in the know, but you act like this is the first time Carl has done this. Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice shame on you.... You are an idiot. Keep thinking Carl is this standup guy because he apologized. lol, roflshmpfo[/quote]

Thank you, BabyJayBate, for confirming that most of what comes off your keyboard is just plain bassackward (as in who to blame first and second time you find your head where no sun shines and only foul breezes blow). Keep posting -- it gets to be quite amusing.

KWufan 10 years, 7 months ago

Who cares is Carh Henry is a prima donna? Here's the fact. Carl is a KU player and graduate. We always will support our own whether they say or suggest things we don't like. It's like the crazy uncle that says some weird crap at the table. Whether or not you think it's all baloney, you still love him. Get over it Babyjaybate and stop posting so much, all it does is make you look like a fool defending himself instead of thinking about the situation that we are all posting about.

rockchalkmillhouse25 10 years, 7 months ago

Everybody talking negativity needs to stop! The man admitted he was wrong and apoligized. Lets just be happy to have the Henry Brothers....Hopefully all of this drama is behind us and we can look foward to the upcoming season. Rock Chalk!!

hailtoku 10 years, 7 months ago

The only wish I have now is that Carl Henry will stay quiet during the season. There is no reason for him to be quoted once games start.

mjlindsm 10 years, 7 months ago

Let up on BabyJay regarding messing up that quote. As history has shown us, you can screw that quote up even worse in and in public and still be President of the United States.

This Henry stuff is exciting and I can't get enough of it. I'd take an emotional rollercoaster over slow and steady any day; can't get the emotional highs if there are never emotional lows. Judging by the number of comments on these stories, it appears I'm not alone.

"Fool me once, shame on, uh, shame on you. Fool me twice, and, uh, um, well, you can't get fooled again, ya see?" -Dubya

ku_phanatik 10 years, 7 months ago

SOME OF YOU SO CALLED "KU FANS" HAVE NO CLASS...A PERSON APOLOGIZE AND ALL YOU DO IS CONTINUE TO BAD MOUTH

WHOS THE BETTER PERSON...SURE NOT US IF WE CONTINUE THIS WAY.

IM SURE THE SAME KU FANS BAD MOUTHING WILL BE THE SAME ONES ON THE HENRY'S BAND WAGON WHEN THEY HELP TO WIN GAMES...

SHOW SOME TACTFULNESS

Scott Smetana 10 years, 7 months ago

This Henry Brothers situation reminds me a bit of the Rush Brothers situation.
That turned out pretty well for us. Hopefully it will turn out for them as well as Brandon.

actorman 10 years, 7 months ago

"Who cares is Carh Henry is a prima donna? Here's the fact. Carl is a KU player and graduate. We always will support our own whether they say or suggest things we don't like. It's like the crazy uncle that says some weird crap at the table. Whether or not you think it's all baloney, you still love him. Get over it Babyjaybate and stop posting so much, ..."

You said it, KWufan. Has Carl said some bizarre and inconsistent things during this process? Yes. Has he sometimes seemed to go two directions at the same time? Yes. Does it matter? HELL NO! Carl was, is and will always be a Jayhawk. He was one of the few bright stars on a miserable KU team in '82-'83, then in '83-'84 he was part of the foundation that built KU into the powerhouse it is today. I'll always remember the thrill he gave me when I was at the KSUck game in Mancrappin' and he buried the corner jumper with two seconds left to win the game--the win that started "The Streak." So no matter how many things he says that may inject some extra drama into the situation, he will always deserve to get wide latitude because he is part of the Jayhawk family. If BabyJayBate is truly a KU fan and not a poseur, then perhaps he just doesn't believe that history means anything. Well, I believe most KU fans are like me -- when someone has been a part of the family, that person will always have a special place in our hearts.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 7 months ago

The Rush brothers situation in no way compares to the Henrys...no way!!!! Sorry...ain't buyin' it.

BTW...I'm 100% true Jayhawk, baby!!! No poser here. Just not willing to be anybody's doormat.

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 7 months ago

TRUST IN SELF. HE'S VERY SELDOMLY WRONG.

+++++++++ 15 weeks ++++++++ 1 day ++++++ UNTIL LATE NIGHT BABY YEAH!!

Joe Baker 10 years, 7 months ago

Let's move on, enough said! Coach Self is all over this one...Cripes! They're attending KU, get over it already.

Yep- You said it jhwksrock!!!

RCJHKU

wrwlumpy 10 years, 7 months ago

To put this is perspective, we are adding our version of Kevin Durant or Michael Beasley to a team that was picked to be number one before Xavier even committed. Four current Jayhawks have tasted a National Championship. Let the boys play and cheer as hard as you can. I am certain that this years group will make us proud. Ego's will be gone after Boot Camp and the first practice. Does't KU have a football team?

Jonathan Briles 10 years, 7 months ago

I can forgive the Henry's for everything they have put us through and would apologize for anything we have put them through but for right now I really dont know that I care one way or another if they come here.

I dont know if you can click on that and go to it or if I did it wrong I'm not really good with computers but to any KU fans I would suggest looking into it and reading it. Its by Jason King and he completely expresses my fears and opinions on why I am happy about having such fantastic players but really could go either way on if I really want them here.

Christopher Hauser 10 years, 7 months ago

"they could be whoever on the Internet"

This is why I post with my real name as my screen name. Any comment that I make I take full responsibility for.

ku98 10 years, 7 months ago

Loved the last part of the interview... “Carl and I have a good relationship. He is well aware at every institution there is one guy in charge and one only. That’s the head coach.”

chicagoeddie 10 years, 7 months ago

i wish it was september already so school would start.... i hate this drama, lets just have fun and look forward to a great year in football and basketball!

bangaranggerg 10 years, 7 months ago

On the bright side at least they crushed the hopes of Kentucky twice.

bad_dog 10 years, 7 months ago

"...he obviously has a tendency of talking without thinking!!!-"

"Quit making excuses for Carl Sr. and the boys!!! They all need to grow up and grow a pair!!! Just quit being wussies."

"I guarantee that this is not the last we will hear from the Henrys. They will most certainly find another reason to threaten to go to UK before the fall semester starts. You heard it here first, folks."

"I am just amazed at how apologetic some of KU nation can be, especially toward the Henrys. They are NOT bigger than KU basketball, even though they may think so. I just don't think they are worth the headache and distraction. We would be fine without them this season...seriously. Having to endure a season where we have to treat the Henrys with kid-gloves would be an embarrassment!!! I just want us to keep our dignity. I'm just saying that, if drama comes up again with the Henrys, I hope Coach has the balls to cut them loose!!!"-jayhawkinati

WOW-you are quite the ambassador/spokesperson for the University and guardian of Kansas basketball heritage, jayhawkinati. I might be wrong, but you appear to be the one that does a lot of talking without thinking.

I'm irritated by the distractions as much as anyone else, but I guarantee you HCBS knows a heck of a lot more about both the circumstances and the individuals involved than you or I. I certainly don't believe he is an apologist or is somehow compromising his principals for the sake of saving a recruit. If Self is satisfied that the situation is resolved, his word is good enough for me. I trust his judgment regarding basketball and what's good for KU. You should too-all you have to do is read the last paragraph of the article. It's right there for everyone-including the Henry's-to read.

Do us a favor and spare us from your prognostications, negativity and doomsday scenarios. It's unnecessary and unseemly.

jspawk 10 years, 7 months ago

I have an idea...let's make a wager on all of those who are bumping their gums and hating on the Henry's that once the season has started and Xavier is draining three's and dunking on his competition that the jackholes in here won't even remember half of what their saying right now. Instead they'll be saying wow he reminds of Brandon Rush or something to that nature.

I understand it's a free country and as a life-long Jayhawk fan no one person (or family) is bigger then our beloved Jayhawks, but I trust our coach and to have him putting out fires that we're causing is ridiculous. Obviously they read these posts and obviously we need a three man to win the national championship...well we got him and the best three man in the country and here we are crying about some father looking out for his kids best interest. Let's all get over it and start thinking about another historic Jayhawk basketball national championship banner being hung from the rafters.

Joe Baker 10 years, 7 months ago

“I’m goin’ to Kansas,” Henry wrote to 610 Sports, “and that’s final.”

Doubts?

Way to go X !! Set that record straight.

DoubleDD 10 years, 7 months ago

For those of you that say you wouldn't want X and CJ playing for KU next year are crazy (or not real KU Fans). Fact of the matter is every team and I mean every team would want these two kids to play for them. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if a story surfaced that Cal was using a backdoor to lure Carl and the boys to UK. Bottom line with and X and CJ, we're census favorites to win the championship this year, without them we're contenders. At the end of the day Carl loves his boys and Self is the coach. I trust in the Self !!!! If he says things are good then things are good. As true KU fans we need to weed out some of posers on this site. Here's and ideal lets starting posting about how X starts at the 3 spot and CJ is going to the back up to Collins. If CJ is as good as I've heard whooaa moomaaa!!! Don't sleep on CJ, even X a top 3 recruit says he's only beat CJ one on one once.

Jeff Hargate 10 years, 7 months ago

Man, where has the summer gone? And we were all worried in May that there would be nothing to talk about. In the future I will side with the "no news is better than any news" slant. Has anyone heard about the new jumbotron in Memorial? I have heard rumblings, but nothing concrete.

BabyJayBate 10 years, 7 months ago

I would like to shed some light on my comments in this discussion. I have not once bashed X or CJ. I think they are both great players, and will be great addittions to the team. We will be absolutely stacked and loaded with more talent than anyone in the country. Obviously I am a little sour on Carl, but I am over it and have all faith that Mr. Bill Self knows what he is doing.

I was a little harsh with my comments on Carl, and I don't think my point came across as I had planned. Sure, I was trying to stir the pot a little, but I was just trying to express my opinion as a diehard KU fan. Anyways, it is over now. Welcome to KU X an CJ where we not only have the best coach, but the best fans in the country.

kennethst 10 years, 7 months ago

Wouldn't it be funny if the Henrys turn out to be .....well.....not so good????

Also.....I think it's rediculous that some KU fans actually expect a national title next year....absolutely rediculous. When did we get to the point where we are actually expecting it??? Do you realize how dangerous that kind of expectattion is???

KU should always be in a position to compete for a National Title.....no more.

Joel Hood 10 years, 7 months ago

For all you people ripping on X, CJ, &/or Carl, have you actually heard what Carl said, in his own words, in the context of the interview? I've heard Carl many times on 1320 KLWN (Lawrence) and 610 Sport (KC) and have always been impressed with his honesty and candor. Neither he or his boys have spun this to their "advantage". Carl is not a media whore, the media and people like us have taken their words and spun it to our own amusement and dismay.

IMO, come this fall, this all will seem like some surreal dream. Unfortunately, some of you will call next season a failure if they actually lose a game and then will find a way to blame the Henrys. If coach Self is fine with what has transpired, why are so many of you wanting to throw the Henrys under the bus? Oh, I forgot, many of you are more knowledgable of KU basketball than Coach Self - my bad.

TexasHawk44 10 years, 7 months ago

kennthst: The spelling is "ridiculous" not "rediculous". If you are going to use a word like that, don't make yourself become the definition of the word itself by misspelling it. And I don't think people hoping for a Championship next season, or any season for that matter, is ridiculous. That is part of being a fan.

While I don't think Xavier is a saviour of team (we don't need one), I also don't think that he will turn out to be "not so good". That is a little ridiculous. It also makes me question what kind of KU fan you are. Would you wish a KU recruit to not be good just so you can claim some sort ridiculous victory in waiving a shot of revenge at Carl or his sons? I am guessing you are exactly the sort of so-called "fans" that Bill Self was referring to in his comments about the Henry situation. R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S. Phonetics, man.

TexasHawk44 10 years, 7 months ago

BabyJayBate: You do live up to your name. You are every bit as annoying and uninformed as your self-proclaimed father. The only difference is that at least you spew your stupidity in short bursts rather than long, boring novellas.

rawkhawk 10 years, 7 months ago

Carl Henry is a Jayhawk...let's not forget that. Bill Self is the coach, and he appropriately stepped in to manage this latest crisis. The Henry brothers are welcome additions to next year's team with national championship aspirations. They know that they will have to work to be part of the team, and they should know that they will be revered and loved by the KU faithful.

This board has been increasingly infested by non-KU fans, and I would hope there is a healthy awareness about that. I guess it's sort of flattering that UK and Mizzou fans find KU important enough in their lives to use their time in this manner.

Anyway, it's a great time to be a Jayhawk, and I look forward to next season!

Larry Smith 10 years, 7 months ago

X and CJ committed to Kansas. They have never wavered. They have not said anything to the contrary.

Please help me understand where the drama is in what these two have said or done.

Keep in mind that I am not talking about rumors, innuendo, blogs, message board posts, media reports, parents that can't seem to keep quiet etc..

When has X or CJ said anything other than they are coming to Kansas?

The best quote of the day belongs to Bill Self

"People should talk themselves off the ledge so to speak if you are a KU fan, because we’re fine, and they’re fine."

Enough Said

KU2010CHAMPS 10 years, 7 months ago

Does anyone have a subscription to jayhawk slant I am curious to know what he said.

100 10 years, 7 months ago

Chrishauser20,

I know Chris Hauser.

You are no Chris Hauser.

100 10 years, 7 months ago

The reason it is easy to see that 95% of the KU website posts are coming from Kentucky & Missouri "KU" fans is because of all the sudden new names who have done nothing but talk trash on this topic.

What a true KU fan is thinking is sheer great thoughts & speculation about next year's squad. We're thinking about the first tip off at Allen. We're thinking about how our new five (CJ, Thomas, Xavier, Elijah, Jeff) could, with hard work and the help of the greatest coach in America,thoroughly control the freshmen dribble-coached squad of the Kentucky Tigamalari's.

What a true KU fan is doing is going to Old Robinson to shoot some baskets (if the building is still there), taking a moment to see the painting of Doc Naismith.

What a true KU fan is doing is watching baseball, having a few cold ones (or water) with friends.

What a true KU fan is doing is enjoying the outdoors with their grandchildren.

What a true KU fan is doing is working on his golf game in the backyard, cooking up a BBQ for friends.

A true KU fan spends very little (if any time) on these gossip boards.

A true KU fan is working.

That, my Lawrence friends, is why the LJW needs to change this website so posting is not underneath these articles -- because it's other teams' fans posing as us while w relax in Hawaii.

Rock Chalk fellow fans (all of you, even the posers).

Enjoy the summer. Let's all try to get a life.

Or perhaps, if we do comment -- how about discussing next year's team, matchups, excitement, or strategy?

Larry Smith 10 years, 7 months ago

KU2010CHAMPS,

Just click the audio link above. Listen and you will hear what coach Self has to say on the subject

waywardJay 10 years, 7 months ago

what about the old classic.... fool me once shame on me.... fool me twice ? we can't let 'em fool us again ?

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 7 months ago

You see it, in the horizon, about 5:20am,

it's late night starting to shine it's light...

all our existing players showing what they've earned through the summer and the new comers working to earn a spot.

It's going to be a very good season.

TexasHawk44,

Run out of Astroglide?

Tear the Heath Ledger/Rick Barnes composite?

Couldn't pay the utility bill on the studio in the Metroplex?

Or just havin' another in a seemingly endless string of bad days.

I'm here to help you. ;-)

100 10 years, 7 months ago

John Calipari's (JC!) latest twitt on twitter:

"Be a giver not a taker"

Greg Lux 10 years, 7 months ago

Damn this off season is long ... Come on October ...

Rock Chalk

Charles Shirley 10 years, 7 months ago

Shouldn't everyone just calm down a bit?? Carl Sr. just made an over-protective Dad mistake and the boys have been talking about stuff they should just keep to themself or if they say it we should just ignore. If I think back on all of the stupid stuff I said as a KU freshman 29 years ago or all of the stupid things I have done or said as a Sports Dad then I would not have time for anything else. Get over it and let's play ball already. Surprise, surprise, greatly talented athletic kids talk smack sometimes, who is really surprised or cares? We would be worried if they were less confident, wouldn't we be? Think of all of the great talents KU b-ball has had over the years that we just hoped would be more aggressive or confident? Don't we want our in-coming McDonald's All-Americans to have a little swagger? Damn right we do. BJB STFU, already!

actorman 10 years, 7 months ago

"On the bright side at least they crushed the hopes of Kentucky twice."

Everyone seems to have glossed over that brilliant comment on Bangaranggerg's part. (And BTW, where does your handle come from? I'm curious.) Let's thoroughly enjoy the fact that UK fans are continuing to get their hopes up for nothing. I'm sure they can't STAND the fact that the tables have turned so much and that within a few years they will likely go from first in wins to third - especially when they go on the inevitable NCAA probation. Pity the poor, pathetic pussycat apologists. (Okay, it's a stretch, but alliteration sometimes calls for desperate measures.)

"I think it's rediculous that some KU fans actually expect a national title next ear....absolutely rediculous. When did we get to the point where we are actually expecting it??? Do you realize how dangerous that kind of expectattion is???"

TexasHawk already beat me to it, but I can't help but put in my two cents' worth as well: I think it's "R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S" that someone who supposedly has an education doesn't know how to spell basic words and makes himself look like an idiot. Personally, I think something like that is much more dangerous than expecting my favorite team to win a championship with by far the best team in the country. (And BTW, how exactly do you win a title in an "ear?" Just curious.)

"One more outbreak and I'd cut these guys loose. KU has a better chance of winning a national title with the Henry's on board but without the chaos. Our second best chance is to be without the Henry's. Our worst chance at winning is to have the Henry's and this constant negative energy...."

Among the numerous idiotic posts, this one may qualify as the stupidest of them all. To paraphrase what Jayhawk86 so eloquently said, exactly what "outbreak(s)" are you referring to? Do you mean the comments from their FATHER? Are you saying that if their FATHER had committed a crime, they should be thrown in prison along with him? We already have more people in prison that anyone else in the world. Do you really think kids should be responsible for everything that their FATHERS say and do?

"rawkhawk: ditto!"

rawkhawk: trio! (I know that's not used correctly, but you get the point.)

"Why do people feel they are causing drama? They have said nothing except that they are coming to Kansas. Did I miss it where THEY said anything different than We are coming to Kansas?"

Jayhawk86 should get the award for the post of the day. It's nice to know that SOME PEOPLE actually use the brains that came with their bodies.

100 10 years, 7 months ago

Besides Jo Jo, Carl is still one of the best pull up jump shooters I've ever seen in Allen. Bud & Paul would be on that list for precision, but the sheer art of pulling up, rising & sinking it into the peachbasket is owned by Jo Jo, Carl & Sherron.

actorman 10 years, 7 months ago

Thank you, 100, for another well-reasoned commentary. I'm glad someone else remembers how spectacular a player CH was for KU. I always thought of him as "C&H" because his shot was so sweet. And I've always thought he was one of the most underrated players in KU history, partly because of how terrible that '82-'83 team was.

drgnslayr,

I am reminded that you once preferred Lance Stephenson warts and all to Xavier. Based on what has happened to date, where do your preferences now stand?

I notice that Lance finally committed to UCinn, and there is no cloud of an NCAA investigation suddenly settling down on UCinn. Is UCinn's coach a black sheep with a history of taking time bombs? I haven't heard this about him. Lance has sexual assault charge pending, but then that could wind up vaporizing just as easily as Sherron's issue did.

Questions, questions.

Aligned 10 years, 7 months ago

I'm more than sick of the Henry's, and they haven't even set foot on campus yet.

lee3022 10 years, 7 months ago

By rough count 23 comments here are still negative towards the Henrys (sons and/or parents) and 20 are positive. That is sad.

By way of credentials I have been reading the LJW since 1962. My wife and I both graduated from KU. Over this last decade or so I have posted from time to time about the stories on KU Basketball. I have never felt it appropriate to pass judgment on players, coaches or parents during that time. The truth is I have only a vague idea of what they are doing/saying/thinking based upon the few words written. I can't even do a credible job of judging people around me every day.

I am hopeful that the tenor of this board will revert back to the positive balance it has been before. I am hopeful that those here who appreciate the amazing commitment of KU graduates, including Mr. and Mrs. Henry, in completing their education here while competing at the highest level athletically will continue to drown out the rest. Ignoring the negative might be the productive approach. Thank you Xavier and C.J. and Carl and Barbara. Welcome home.

starballer 10 years, 7 months ago

Hey! Henry Bros come ball, that is all we ask... come ball!! We all know you are serious ballers, nba ballers, true ballers! I don't care about 1 done, working out at home, just come play like we all want you too.

Ball till you fall, I am loving the Henry Bros!!!!!

100 10 years, 7 months ago

Actorman,

You are absolutely right about Carl. Put him on that '82 North Carolina squad & he'd be, not only a starter, but one of the primary threats.

His game was smokin -- hands down one of the most underrated players in the history of KU basketball.

I'd love to see some clips of him at the beginning of games -- not often a father son pair play for the Jayhawksi

EnviroHawk7 10 years, 7 months ago

Summer is the worst sports season ever. Baseball is OK. But I suck at baseball.

100 10 years, 7 months ago

Almost forgot Rex Walters as one of the best pull up jump shooters Allen Fieldhouse has ever had. Langford was awesome but his range often stopped at 15 feet off the dribble. Billy Thomas should be included but he was more of a 3 guard with an OK handle, so his pullup would come less often -- usually he'd get his feet in the air off a great pass from Jacque.

As for the latest on the John Calipari twitter page (he actually has posted this twice):

"Work your current job like it will be your next job."

I guess that explains the dribble drive offense & his players upright defensive stance.

kennethst 10 years, 7 months ago

Ralster always makes good comments.

Well said.

100 10 years, 7 months ago

Forgot three great KU pull up shooters: Pritchard (amazing height on his leap anywhere inside 20 feet, and very precise shot off the dribble), Hinrich (although his pullup ability didn't happen as often as we wouldve liked with all of his teammates he passed to). And possibly the greatest pullup shooter besides Jo Jo I had seen until Carl -- Darnel Valentine.

A few of my old friends might say I've left off our point guard from the '52 team. Yes, I have -- his name alludes me now, but as fantastic of a stop shooter that he was, he never really left his feet. And often that forced a defender on him (which then made for a better angle for him to get it to Lovellette).

My father was a basketball officianado -- he was a ten year old when Naismith first brought the game to Lawrence. He didn't miss many games -- over the years I've tried to balance his stories with what I can dig up -- from everything he's said to everything I've read on the topic -- the best pure shooter KU has ever had (ever) is Forrest C. Allen, of course later to be called Phog.

Of course he never left the court on his shot (although was an incredible athlete). An awkward looking two hand set -- swish nearly every time. According to my dad, this was part of the reason Naismith tried so hard to get Phog to come to Kansas -- his shot & overall team skills (by the way we're not just talking a good "shot", we're talking a July fourth bomb from 35 feet).

It still amazes me to this day without Naismith's big train ride to Kansas City to secure Forrest (much like Self's drive to OKC with Danny), none of this happens for us -- no preseason #1, no 2008 national championship, no 1988 national championship, no Paul Pierce, no Wilt Chamberlain, no 1952 national championship, no 1922 & 1923 dream seasons. And -- no 52 (fifty-two) league titles.

All of this, thanks to the man that our court is named after.

And lastly, without the inventor's presence in Lawrence all those years, we don't bring in Carl, CJ or Xavier, or a 2010 National Championship.

Thank you, Dr. Naismith -- you have given us a gift to be proud of & cherish forever.

RockChalk

kennethst 10 years, 7 months ago

100-

That was awesome-thx for sharing that......you're right-we owe much to this man.

rockchalk007 10 years, 7 months ago

The most interesting thing will be team chemistry and how all the newcomers fit into the existing group. It might be Coach Self's biggest coaching challenge yet. A happy problem to have with all that talent, but a problem nonetheless. Everyone will have to earn playing time and the newbees will not be in the mix from the start. They guys who know the drill and the system will get dominate minutes early on. The ingredients are there but the group has to come together. Remember how long it took last year's newbees (the twins, etc) to "get it." At Big 12 conference time they were all jumping off the bench and cheering, not worrying about their minutes and the looks.

This year practice will be very competitive. Coach Self will work the Henry's and everyone's tails off and all the prima donna stuff and drama will dissipate. How he will keep them all happy and together is the magic of a big time head coach and staff.

Sherron's role as the leader will be interesting too. You can bet that Reed, Morningstar and Releford are not going to sit back and be amazed by the new kids - they are going to fight hard for minutes. And be all over the newbees in a "in your face" defense that they have never experienced before, day in and day out. I wish I could catch a few early practices. It will be very entertaining, but in the end, this group will meet expectations and all KU fans will cheer wildly. Our schedule is extremely competitive - a very exciting season...we're just getting warmed up!

Go Hawks!

codybear 10 years, 7 months ago

I believe that the Henry parents devoted a great deal of their life into getting their sons to the point that they are today and that Carl still has a say in what goes on with his sons. As I heard on a sports talk show; we need them a lot more than they need us. It would be great to see this all die down and the boys get their chance to play ball at KU or UK. With the help of their parents they are both more than ready to contribute to whatever basketball program the decide to become a part of. With decisions this large I imagine all of us might second guess our decisions after the fact due to hindsight being such a wonderful tool. I would like to have the boys and their parents continue to be part of KU Basketball History. As for all the negative remarks regarding the family; THEY DESERVE AN APOLOGY FROM EACH ONE OF THOSE NEGATIVE POSTERS.

Rick Arnoldy 10 years, 7 months ago

Carl - one half of the "Heart and Soul of the Jayhawks".

Love the C&H reference, btw. "Pure cane sugar"

RockChalk1982 10 years, 7 months ago

How about an article about how Coach Dooley is staying at KU? Glad to have him back for another run in March and April. Great COMMITMENT!!!!

TexasHawk44 10 years, 7 months ago

jaybate: I am in such awe of you. Your ability to be a jackass never ceases to amaze. I understand that this board is an oasis for a semi-literate, unpublished wanna-be writer like yourself. Where I once loathed your posts for the stupidity and misinformation they typically hold, I now sit back and shake my head with wonder. Reading your posts is a bit like watching a family of hillbillies sitting on the front porch of their double-wide watching a big screen television while eating from a box of Domino's pizza: a rare combination of stupidity colliding with simplicity. Like the hillbillies, you are a crystalized snapshot of what our current society has produced. Jaybate, you are that metaphorical pizza-shoveling-front-porch-sitting hillbilly. Be proud of your big screen on the porch, er, I mean your posts. You work hard at the deli counter to be able to afford those weekly Rent-A-Center payments.

I know you have been posting your blather on here forever and a lot of people on this board hang on your every three thousand words. All that I can figure is that you are like the bearded woman from the old sideshow days: too strange to turn away from and once you look you can't help but feel a twinge of sadness.

Please come back with some crack about Texas. Where exactly is your double-wide? Tonganoxie or Ottawa?

blowhard 10 years, 7 months ago

Carl and Barbara:

Looking forward to a great season and its great X and CJ will be a part of the team.

You have alot of which to be very proud.

Allen Field House will be Rockin' & Chalkin !!!

GO JAYHAWKS!!!

TexasHawk44,

What have you got against the great state of Kansas and why do you look down your brown and calloused nose at fine towns like Tonganoxie and Ottawa? I have been to both many times in my youth and once every ten years or so since and I can assure you they are full of decent people, hardly the crooks one so routinely has to avoid in Texas. You sound like a Texan, and I can offer you no greater insult. :-)

Next, you're going to be dissing Lawrence and KU basketball. It is as if you were a lurker.

Something is bothering you even more than usual TexasHawk666. It has to be that you ran out of Astroglide and got a rash trying to substitute 30 weight Texaco in the Metroplex studio, right? :-)

Don't despair.

I'm still here to help you confront your issues.

100,

Your story reminds me of my own father sliding to his left and draining two hand set shots on the old concrete court behind our house. Thanks.

Every once in awhile I wonder if someone will come along at the three position in the three point era and re master the two hand set sliding right off a screen from, say, 35 feet, near the where a line drawn from the top to the side line would intersect. Mastering this shot coming off a screen would today almost eliminate the ability of teams to dense pack the paint and might in turn enable the shooter, when not shaken free enough to shoot, for the to make a quick pass into the blocks for easy one on one scores by bigs. It seems impossible for such a shooter to come along these days, because no one is practicing the two hand set any more, and because of the tunnel vision of coaches today about playing the game vertically, but the same could have been said of the jump shot before Luisetti brought it to Stanford under John Bunn, Phog's former assistant at The Farm. No one was practicing the jump shot either and most coaches believed the set shot was the only way to play the game. Except there was this one outlier; this one Italian kid who found on play grounds that he could get a shot off many more places, if he jumped. And there was this one bright former KU basketball man who said, "If the kid can do, why not?!"

Some times I think we know so much today, it keeps us from knowing what we don't know.

TexasHawk44 10 years, 7 months ago

Jaybate: Thanks for not disappointing me with your stupid comment. I am a native of Kansas and graduate of KU. I lived in Ottawa once upon a time and have friends in Tongie. They are fine communities. I was not disparaging the communities -- only placing your mobile home in a geographic location. Kansas is a great place, as is Texas. You, however, are an idiot. And that is not predicated on where you might live. Pick any country or city on our fair planet and you, Jaybate the blowhard, are still an idiot. So whatever state your prison cell or your trailer happens to be in, it really doesn't matter. Because, Jaybate, at the end of the day you can poke fun at someone's imaginary looks or their heritage or geographic location, but you cannot run from the devastating combination of your own massive ego and tiny little brain.

rockchalk007,

Late in your post you get at one of the great things about sports. After all the handling is done, after all the hype is disseminated, after all the OAD talk is floated, the Henry brothers still have to come out on the wood and try to beat out the likes of Sherron Collins, Tyshawn Taylor, Brady Morningstar, Tyrel Reed, Mario Little, and Travis Releford, and perhaps even Marcus Morris, if he has improved his footwork enough to run his 40% trey game at the three.

Think about that bunch of guys for a moment.

They have all played one to three seasons of D1 basketball already. They have all been through Boot Camp. They have all proven they can play Self Defense. They have all proven they can execute the roles the coach has asked them to do. They have all proven they can and will play injured. They have all proven they can protect the ball at least well enough to earn 10 minutes (maybe not Releford, but he was on the way up late in the season last year). They have all played against the best of the best in regulation games. Two of them have proven they can shoot 40% from trey on a legitimate number of attempts. Collins probably could shoot 40%, if he could select his shots instead of having to go create a third of them. Tyshawn may well join the 40% club this season. Marcus shot 40% before he stopped shooting it to be a garbage man last season. Each one of these guys has won a B12 championship. They have all been to the Sweet 16. They have all been to war and proved to have the right stuff. Some have been on a national championship team. They are all ferocious competitors and fanatically devoted to the team concept.

Put all of the above in the trey on one side of a balance held by the blind lady of basketball justice.

Then put what the Henry Brothers have done so far on the other plate across the fulcrom of the balance.

Do you realize how good X and CJ would have to be to even take 20 minutes a piece a game from these returning veterans?

jaybate 10 years, 7 months ago

It is not good enough to be as good as the veterans to take their minutes. You have to be better and you have to contribute to team chemistry better. Not on paper. Not in other people's estimations. Not in your father's estimations. Not in some recruiting guru's estimation. Not even in your coach's expectations. You have to beat the veteran's decisively in practice and then you have to perform better than the veterans in game after game, when opposing coaches start devising schemes to shut you down.

The odds are that X and CJ are going to be at KU for two years.

But if they beat the odds, if they prove good enough to be 30 minute men and advanced enough to jump after one year, KU is probably going to go undefeated and win a ring.

I've never said something like this before, because I think the tournament is too fraught with off nights and freakish mismatches to ever forecast a national champion.

But think about it.

It would mean KU would have 4, maybe five with Marcus Morris, maybe even six, with Mario Little, NBA first or second round draft choices, plus some guys formerly good enough to start, or play big minutes on a Sweet 16 team.

It would be like 500 year flood--rare but utterly overwhelming. No dyke could hold it. No dam could stop it.

Bill Self would be coaching a 500 year flood of talent.

To switch metaphors, he would be coaching with a stacked deck in that eventuality.

To put it in perspective, John Wooden would have to start asking Bill Self what it felt like to have even more talent than Wooden had.

And given the way Bill Self coaches with a regular deck, well, watch him shove 70 point take what they give us down the throat of every team unlucky enough to be on the schedule.

Watch him make Bob Knight no longer be the last guy to have gone undefeated and won a ring.

Watch all the want-to in Roy's little finger not matter a whit.

Watch all the girlie-man ball screens of Princeton on Hemmorhoids not matter.

If X and CJ are good enough to be 30 minute men this season--right now, whether or not Self actually plays them that much until down the stretch, this is not going to be a team for the ages; this is going to be the team of all time.

To sum up, if X and CJ beat the odds, and this team avoids a perfect storm of injuries, then a perfect storm of greatness impends.

But can they really be that good?

TexasHawk44,

Nice back pedal. But you blew it. Get back to your 30 weight.

kennethst 10 years, 7 months ago

Nice brawl between TexasHawk44 and Jaybate!!

You do both realize you are Kansas fans, right? You have that in common.......so why not save up your ammo for Mizzou and K-State fans that get on this board?

Something tells me you guys will be best of friends once the season starts!

New Topic-How does Mario Little fit in the picture next year??

kennethst,

I hope TexasHawk666 is a fellow Jayhawk. I don't do this sort of therapy for strangers! :-)

drgnslayr,

Makes some sense about UCinn.

Regarding Carl, in order to get him to quit giving quotes, it would appear Self is going to have to hire Carl as an assistant, send him to recruit Mongolia for the duration of the season, and ask a pal at the NSA to jam his cell phone and internet connections. Otherwise, what we have experienced so far is, apparently, as they say in medicine, likely a chronic condition to be managed, not cured. :-)

kennethst 10 years, 7 months ago

Jaybate-

Fair enough......hey I really enjoy your posts for what it's worth.

I'm ready for the season to start.....could be one to remember!

TexasHawk44 10 years, 7 months ago

Jaybate:

666? Is that the best in your tank? Anyone who doesn't proclaim you the prophet of all things KU or the college basketball version of Jim Morrison, is somehow associated with the Antichrist? Or is it only people who live in states other than Kansas who are stamped by the high and mighty Jaybate with the mark of the Beast? Or is it specifically the state of Texas that you hate? Or do you not like the "44" in my name?

Or is it really that I call you out for the fraud that you truly are? Hmm..Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner! I think that must be the answer...

You can question my being a KU fan if you want, but at least I actually attended the school, graduated and had seats in Allen. At least I actually read and comprehend the articles that are posted on here before I start ranting and quoting Bob Dylan and Michael Jackson and talking about burnt ends and candling myself with incense and whatever other rubbish comes out of your posts. Please educate us again with your remarkable insight to the recruiting process. Specifically your takes about Orton at KY being the next Shaq and how Bill Self blew it by not signing him etc.

While I have always thought you were a moron (and that knowledge grows more fervent each passing day), I have never questioned that you are a KU fan. Are you a misguided fan? Yes. Are you an egotistical and irrational fan? Yes. But I do believe you are fan. You are an annoying fan. And I guess you are a fan of Satanism and motor oil -- sounds like you are projecting your fetishes.

Okay. Now please let me hear about your therapy for me and while you are at it, throw in some "666's" and jabs at Texas and where my loyalties lie and how I look like Rick Barnes (another fetish of yours?) and whatever unrelated garbage your little chimp-sized brain can muster.

I do look forward to the season starting so that I can concentrate on the team and ignore you completely. But in a long summer without basketball, jousting with you is at least minimally entertaining. I really should feel bad out that. Going back and forth with you is like tapping on the glass at the chimpanzee habitat at your local zoo -- you know the creature on the other side has a flicker of intelligence yet at any moment might pick up their own feces and eat it. That, Jaybate, sums up my experience with you. Thankfully for me, you cannot throw your dung through the internet -- you can only write it.

kennethst 10 years, 7 months ago

texashawk44 is very funny.

I think you and Jaybate should have a stand-up,dueling comedy routine......you could go on the road together.....or better yet set up a theatre in Branson!

I still say all will be forgiven between you two once the season starts. Until then.....I will sit back and enjoy!!

TexasHawkpeashooter,

Never breast fed, eh? :-)

TexasHawkpeashooter,

I would think you would like have feces flung at you.

You seem very uninhibited that way. :-)

TexasHawk44 10 years, 7 months ago

Jaybate:

High noon in in front of the Jayhawk Towers on Halloween. Please leave your feces and rhetoric at home.

TexasHawk44 10 years, 7 months ago

Jaybate:

High noon in front of the Jayhawk Towers on Halloween. Please leave your feces and rhetoric at home.

TexasHawk44 10 years, 7 months ago

douche666 to you, jwiddell. just ask jaybate...

TexasHawk44 10 years, 7 months ago

Finally you write something I find funny, Jaybate! I give you props for the Gomer Pyle reference.

TexasHawk44,

And Opie. Didn't Opie say it, too?

TexasHawk44 10 years, 7 months ago

I think you are right about Opie, but Gomer owned it.

speedy 10 years, 7 months ago

texas 44

GO away! save your fights for mezz and UK. i never bothered reading who posted but from now on you will not be read! Just go away.

for all of you who made comments aluding to trailer trash just rem. when its below 0 this winter my home in vegas and the one in ariz. will be above 32 degrees and all of my neighbors could buy and sell you. rock chalk

kceejayhawk 10 years, 7 months ago

I can see the headline now....."None and Done" hope not though

TexasHawk44 10 years, 7 months ago

speedy: you must be really, really wealthy. that is so cool for you. could your neighbors just buy and sell jayhawk fans or is that open to Tigers and Wildcats too? Or is it just general modern day college basketball fan slavery? Or do you and your neighbors just buy "trailer trash" that live in your ritzy neighborhoods? And is it zero degrees when you do your buying and selling or do you all prefer it be well above 32 degrees -- like 35 or 36 before you do your wheeling and dealing? Sorry for all of the questions, I was just trying to understand your comments before I "go away" and step into the octogan with some UK and Mizzou fans -- at least the ones who are left after you and your neighbors are done buying and selling folks.

Have a happy Fourth!

Martin Shupert 10 years, 7 months ago

Hey guys, I skimmed through all the comments. I might be wrong, but I do not believe that anyone commented about the really important part of this story. Maybe it is simply not news any longer and we take it for granted, but consider how hard Bill Self, Danny Manning, Joe Dooley, and the rest of the coaching staff work. On a moment's notice, these guys flew to Oklahoma City to work this thing out. Coach Self had to play this exactly right too. He had to demonstrate as much skill as any X's and O's guy ever could to solidify this thing. Let's give them our appreciation for the extremely hard and skillful work they do. Recruiting in today's world is never done. This sort of thing is precisely why Coach Self was and continues to be the Coach Of The Year!!! We have the best. Wow!!!

kennethst 10 years, 7 months ago

Who needs soap operas when you can come on this board and watch the fights! Awesome!! Also clearly displays how much I desperately need to get a life!!

All we need now is Thetus to come on and tell us how bad Sherron Collins is......remember that??? What was he thinking/smoking??? What ever happenned to Thetus?

I think we all need the season to start so we can fight our natural,sworn,blood enemies again.....K-State and MU.....and anybody else we dares to play our Jayhawks!!

Ryan Mullen 10 years, 7 months ago

Wouldn't it be creepy if Jaybate and Texashawk44 were the same person posting and the personalities did not know about each other.

kennethst 10 years, 7 months ago

jayhawkinmullen......

You may have just blown my mind......

Scary thought! I may just go for my Dewars on the rocks a little early.

Very funny. Good one.

100 10 years, 7 months ago

Another rock solid Jayhawk pullup jump shooter:

Steve Woodberry -- He rarely attacked with the dribble like a point guard (more of a soft dribble, but under relative control as he was a shooting guard), but Man, he was silky smooth shishtown every time.

In my book, Steve, as a pullup jump shooter, could be tied for the sweetest "form" we've ever had -- tied with Jo Jo (although Jo Jo was much more explosive and seemingly limitless range, whereas Woodberry's consistent range stopped at about 22 feet).

brooksmd 10 years, 7 months ago

jayhawkinmullen...BPOTD Award (Best Post Of The Day). Love it.

jayhawkinmullen,

Wouldn't it be even creepier if...

jayhawkinmullen were a psy-ops specialist for the FEMA COG shadow government and he were working with Fox Mulder and Dana Sculley to mind control Texashawk44 and jaybate into a conflict that would distract everyone from the FEMA COG shadow governments restructuring of the US and international financial markets?

Or wouldn't it be even creepier if...

jayhawkinmullen, TexasHawk44, and jaybate were actually Carl Henry, Barbara Henry and Bill Self (in no particular order)?

Or wouldn't it be even creepier if...

jayhawkinmullen, TexasHawk44, and jaybate were actually Andy Griffith, Don Knotts and Jim Neighbors (in no particular order)?

Or wouldn't it be creepiest of all if...

jayhawkinmullen, TexasHawk44, and jaybate were all actually Frances Bavier?

Hey, I really like playing this "wouldn't it be creep if" game! Especially with jayhawkinmullen in first position. ;-)

KU2010CHAMPS 10 years, 6 months ago

Hey Jaybate maybe we could market the wouldn't it be creepy game and sell it to hasbro maybe make a ton of money wow that would be really creepy you making money wow creepy.

jaybate 10 years, 6 months ago

KU2010CHAMPS,

I thnk u r on2 smthg, as they type in text messaging.

The game will have a central playing piece, or character, if done digitally, named KU2010CHAMPS. Players take turns being KU2010CHAMPS and trying to think of the creepiest way to make money. :-)

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

kennethst, theutus showed up the other day for the first time in months. he is likely having concerns about the team next year with Collins still on the roster.

martyks, i thought the same thing regarding Self's actions last week. he will earn his money this year.

"jayhawkinmullen...BPOTD Award" - agreed

jaybate 10 years, 6 months ago

FairgroveJayhawk comes not to bury Theutus, but to praise him.

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

heck no, no praise for one's negativity regarding our team leader. I wondered what the guy was smoking myself.