Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Henrys stick with KU

Oklahoma prep standout Xavier Henry, right, announces his commitment to Kansas University as mother Barbary Henry looks on in this file photo from April 23 in Oklahoma City.

The Henry Saga Timeline

• May 18, 2005 — C.J. Henry, a baseball/basketball standout at Putnam City High, commits to play basketball at KU, his dad’s alma mater. He admits the June major-league baseball draft ultimately might derail his college hoop dreams, however.
  • June 7, 2005 — Henry is drafted by the New York Yankees as the No. 17 overall pick in the MLB draft. He says he will definitely choose baseball over college hoops. Shortly after, he agrees to a signing bonus worth well over $1 million dollars. “To be picked by the Yankees is very special,” C.J. said.
  • August 26, 2008 — Henry, who hit .234 in 20 games during an injury-plagued season with Class A Tampa, announces he has quit baseball and decided to play college basketball at Memphis. He said “the hardest phone call I ever had to make,” was to KU’s Bill Self, informing him he’d decided to resurrect his hoops career at Memphis, not KU.
  • November 18, 2008 — Xavier Henry, wearing a Memphis cap, appears on ESPN in an early-morning made-for-TV news conference at Putnam City High and announces he has signed with the Tigers over runner-up Kansas. He cited the “deciding factor” as a chance to play for a year with his brother, C.J.
  • April 23, 2009 — Xavier and C.J. decide to switch allegiances from Memphis to KU in response to Tiger coach John Calipari on April 1 leaving the Tigers’ post for the coaching job at Kentucky. Xavier makes his announcement at a late-morning news conference back at Putnam City High’s gym. Xavier tells a pack of media members — not just ESPN this time — that he “always loved Kansas ... it’s been a dream school for me.” Mom Barbara revealed that Xavier wanted to go to KU all along, but opted for Memphis the first time to keep the family together. “I just always dreamed of going to Kansas. I took a step back (because) my brother was at Memphis. I did it to keep the family together. Now that he can play anywhere with the coaching change, I got my chance at Kansas,” Xavier told the media.
  • May 19, 2009 — C.J. Henry officially is admitted to KU. In announcing the completion of paperwork, Self said: “I see him as a guy that’s going to challenge to play a ton of minutes. I really believe we’re going to be pleasantly surprised with the impact he’ll have on our program.”
  • June 1, 2009 — Carl Henry responds to a Twitter post that reported Xavier and C.J. had second thoughts about KU and might reopen their recruiting. “Nothing has changed,” Carl Henry said.
  • June 11, 2009 — KU coach Bill Self tells the media that Xavier and C.J. won’t be attending summer school. C.J. would continue to rehab from a cracked bone in his foot that forced him to red-shirt his freshman season at Memphis, and Xavier would work out with a personal trainer while making regular visits to the dentist for a problem with the removal of his braces.
  • June 30, 2009 — Carl Henry speaks on 610 AM afternoon radio show after 2 p.m. and indicates family is upset at Kansas City newspaper story that was printed the previous weekend and that his sons are now considering Kentucky again. Self acknowledges the family is upset and was looking into the matter.

Xavier and C.J. Henry will remain members of Kansas University’s basketball program.

The brothers — who apparently were angered by a Kansas City Star newspaper article that the Henry family felt portrayed it in a negative light — on Tuesday were considering dropping their commitment to KU for Kentucky, the brothers’ dad, Carl Henry, said.

However, all was smoothed over by late Tuesday night when Xavier Henry sent a text message to Kansas City 610 radio’s Cory Anderson indicating he would remain a Jayhawk.

“I’m goin’ to Kansas and that’s final,” Anderson said in reading the message to the Journal-World.

Henry had sent the message to Anderson at 10:48 p.m.

Shortly after, Henry sent the same text message to Foxsports.com’s Jeff Goodman.

Earlier Tuesday, acknowledging there was a possible problem, KU coach Bill Self made plans to meet with the Henry family Tuesday night in Oklahoma City.

Carl Henry told Rivals.com he’d comment on the meeting and his sons’ status Wednesday.

“I’m still looking into this,” Self told the Journal-World on Tuesday, before the meeting, which obviously cleared up the problem.

“I am ready for the finality of it (on where Henrys are going to school). I believe that will occur very soon,” Self added.

Self told the J-W that because of the “article and blogs and people commenting on the article, the family is very upset and concerned about how they’d be treated in Lawrence.”

Expressing anger at the newspaper article, Carl Henry said in an interview with KC 610 radio that his son, Xavier, actually had stayed in touch with incoming Kentucky freshmen John Wall and Daniel Orton and recently told Carl he might want to switch his allegiance to UK.

“A couple weeks ago, my youngest son (Xavier) tells me he wanted to go to Kentucky. Said he’s thinking about it,” Carl told the station. “He keeps in touch with John Wall and Daniel Orton. They are good friends. What happened is those guys get to talking to him, they could probably change his mind. Actually that’s what happened. I was talking to Xavier. I’m telling him, ‘Hey, man, I know those are your friends, you can’t change just like that. You already gave a commitment (to KU). You already said you were coming. Now all of a sudden you don’t want to come any more? Just because your friends said, “Hey, this (Kentucky) will be a great place?”’’’

Self said the Henrys, who switched their allegiance from Memphis to KU after coach John Calipari headed to Kentucky, gave their word they were coming to KU and thus he is “past the point of being concerned with (their) recruiting. Either they are coming or not coming. There’s no reason for fans or people who support the university to be concerned. They gave us their word they are coming. If an article keeps them from coming, of course it’d be disappointing, but it’s not anything I can control.”

Apparently the article did not sway the Henrys to switch schools once again.

Xavier Henry announced April 23 he would attend KU with C.J. He signed and was released from a national letter of intent at Memphis and was not allowed to sign a second national letter. Thus, the commitment is non-binding.

Carl told 610 radio Tuesday morning that Xavier actually wanted to announce for Kentucky back in April. That conflicts with what Xavier said at his KU commitment news conference: that he wanted to attend KU over Memphis all along but initially chose Calipari’s Tigers because of family concerns.

“If it wasn’t for his mother saying that ‘I would not go to Kentucky,’ Xavier would have been at Kentucky,’’’ Carl Henry said during the radio interview. “So Xavier says, ‘I’m going to go to Kansas,’ even though what he wanted to do is go to Kentucky, play under coach Cal. That’s what he wanted to do.”

Carl said that following the printing of the newspaper article, Barbara did not care if her sons switched from KU to UK.

But at least for now — this saga has changed repeatedly — the Henrys remain KU-bound.

Comments

tstanlick1909 10 years, 9 months ago

Okay, everybody that freaked out and disowned the entire Henry family:

Lets just pretend like this never happened

Sorry for this misinterpretation Xavier!

Rock Chalk

KU2010CHAMPS 10 years, 9 months ago

Wow I cannot even imagine what Self told the family to get them to stay. Probably like are you sure you want to ball with ol greasy over in Lexington because you might slip and break a leg with all that oil he'll leave on the floor. Anyways im tired Im going to bed and good job Bill you the man and so are the Henry's.

trmatlock 10 years, 9 months ago

Can we not mention them again until they enroll at KU. (Or is it UK?) :-)

jayhawkgeof 10 years, 9 months ago

how about showing them so love and welcoming them to the team. The past is the past. let's start fresh

Alex Wishart 10 years, 9 months ago

i for one would like to see CJ be as good as his pops says he is. Sherron is our man but would it be terrible to have a great PG coming of the bench? remember Sherron's role on the NC team?

waywardJay 10 years, 9 months ago

oh yes, X and CJ..... we will joke with you about this.... onc eyou get to Kansas..... once your enrolled... we will expect you to laugh too :)

sdoyel 10 years, 9 months ago

Speaking of starting fresh.... It would really be nice to see these 2 on campus and bonding with the team. Seriously.

thedudelovesKU 10 years, 9 months ago

agreed...hopefully its all over. i'm off to bed so i can listen to my creedence

kansaspike 10 years, 9 months ago

To put it in an analogy---

The Henry's are the hot girl we won't dump, but should. We court the hot girl forever, she chooses someone else (Memphis), we wait around until that doesn't work and jump on board. We run to the hot girl whenever she makes a threat, (uh, today) and all is better.....that is until next week when something else comes up and it starts all over.

Here's to hoping HCBS is wearing the pants in this relationship.

murph 10 years, 9 months ago

It's sickening to watch Bill Self and Danny Manning - not to mention Kansas Basketball - jerked around like puppets on a string. If this cancerous crowd (Carl, et al) actually shows up we might as well kiss our championship dreams goodbye. One bad apple can ruin the whole basket, and it looks like there's three in that crew.

KUBlue0809 10 years, 9 months ago

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK HENRY FAMILY! LETS PUT THIS BEHIND US AND CUT DOWN SOME NETS!

suttonku 10 years, 9 months ago

Like I said earlier the Henrys are coming to KU and they will help us win a championship next year so everyone play nice and please just be happy with these guys...and for those you who dont know...CJ doesnt want to go to the summer session because the Yankees are only paying for 2 more semesters of his college so if he came in the summer that would take up a semester so I dont blame him for staying down in OKC but Xavier on the other hand needs to be in Lawrence because I dont want there to be a chance of them messing up the chemistry of this team

KGphoto 10 years, 9 months ago

With all due respect to the Henry family...

Shut up.

I don't care anymore. Go to Kentucky. You obviously don't know the difference between KU and UK. I'm done with you. You are insanely over-concerned over the public view of your kids. The fact that you played here is lost, and it's painfully obvious. I can't even tell that you went to school at KU at all, because you have no pride in it.

If you are actually deciding between KU and UK. Be gone!

I've never heard of another KU family who wondered if there kid should go to Kentucky instead.

kujayhawkster 10 years, 9 months ago

Hey KGphoto,

YOU SUCK! The only reason that they had a family meeting was because of people like you. You should feel relieved that we get to retain the highest-rated recruit in the Self era, possibly even in KU history. Having Xavier and CJ back makes us the team to beat next year. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!! The Henry's are forgiven in my books, and hopefully Jayhawk nation feels the same way.

rawkhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

KGphoto--get off the KU boards and go back to Kentucky--many posters have come to this site and expressed similar sentiments,

The Henrys will continue to work for their stake in the KU tradition, and, IMO, will be significant in KU history, despite the recent drama and boards such as this. Support them.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

sps3334 10 years, 9 months ago

KG,

Your sentiments are seen and understood. I, like you, wasn't sure if X man was worth it either. But, that's why we don't get paid about $3 million a year to figure it out. Big Daddy Bill has never once let us down, and he won't do it now. He sees something in this kid.

Like it or not, Kentucky and Kansas need this kid to cement an already solid team. Bill sees that, X sees that, and Cal sees that. I am by no means saying that these 2 will be the glue guys (as this entire saga has shown). Both teams could very well simply being a scoring swing man away from a National Championship.

Self will NOT let this team go down in flames. Self knows how to handle egos, and knows how to squeeze every ounce of talent from his players. Those 2 reasons alone should get everyone excited that the Henrys chose KU.

I certainly am.

sps3334 10 years, 9 months ago

And everyone,

While still a very good player, X man is NOT the highest rated recruit of the Bill Self era.

Julian Wright has that honor.

CD2010 10 years, 9 months ago

Really, you message board posters think you're that damned important? I eat sleep and breathe KU basketball, but guess what, it's PEOPLE that make KU great. These kids dream of playing at the highest level, work their tails off to do so, and know that the league is the destination they hope to reach. KU basketball is bigger than any one person, but at the same time it takes great people with a desire to be even greater to create something this special, and the Henry's have chosen to be a part of it. How can you blame an 18 year old kid for wanting to spend one last summer at home with his friends, living with his older brother who he obviously idolizes, but still busts his butt to be ready for the season? Sure, a bunch of message board posters know that it would be best for the team if the Henry's were in town, but would it be best for Xavier? Not best for Xavier the recruit, but best for Xavier the human being? We don't get to decide that.

Good luck, CJ and Xavier. It seems to me talking to your fellow McD's All-Americans might have you wishing you could be a part of the hype they're buying into. It's understandable, but let me promise you, as soon as you get through Boot Camp with your teammates, you'll never look back. Kentucky will be exciting, but Kansas will be something special in a way you can't yet imagine. I'm glad you guys are going to remain a part of it. Rock Chalk!

hawks1712 10 years, 9 months ago

I cannot say enough about Bill and Danny smoothing things over with the Henry's, after all, a Mizzou grad did write the article in the KC Star about them. I have always liked CJ and Xavier, and could not be happier they are coming to Lawrence...But, are we going to have to listen to Carl's quotes everyday on KUsports? I am so tired of Carl it is ridiculous. He has a million quotes everyday about everything other than how the "team" is going to be next year. please Ljworld, dont print Carl's quotes saying how Xavier is progressing toward his NBA goals when Carl should be commenting on how the "Hawks" are progressing toward their 2009 National Championship. All my "non Hawk" friends have read everything on this saga and no one believes Carl even attended KU or is a true jayhawk. ALL I CAN SAY IS GO HAWKS!!! Bring another championship home!

kennethst 10 years, 9 months ago

I agree with KGphoto-if this crap is true.....the Henrys can get the ^%$# out of Kansas ....and don't let the door hit you on the way out.....Go to UK....sure, you're good.....but you know what? This is KANSAS.....we will be good without you-probably better.

If it isn't true.....then never mind.

KGphoto 10 years, 9 months ago

kujayhawkster: We are the team to beat anyway. I don't care what any publication says. KU is the team to beat because of the crazy depth, experience and coaching. We don't need anybody new to carry us over the top. What do you think X is going to do? Score 40/night? Be Michael Jordan?

Oh, I hope we meet Cal's kindergarten crew. KU will manhandle them. Emasculate them. Beat them badly. X or no X.

KU is a sweet sixteen team. They had Michigan St. on the ropes, in Michigan. And they return everybody. Who's to say x would even earn significant PT?

Don't be so desperate. It's sad.

Sam Burns 10 years, 9 months ago

murph, KG, and kujayhawkster, SSSSSSHHHHHHUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTT UUUUUPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're talking about things you don't understand or have anything to do with. I'm very excited about these boys coming to KU. We don't need any single player, but we would love to have these kids. You're exaggerating everything they do or don't do. Let them be kids and come and help KU win another championship. It would be so ridiculous to cause them to go somewhere else because you think your unearned pride is being hurt. You're no more important than any other fan. Here's a wake up call for you. The players don't even know you or I exist.

Welcome to KU, Xavier and CJ. We are exciting about what you can do to help KU win another championship. Don't pay any attention to these pessimistic naysayers. They are just the loud-mouthed minority, not even close to the majority.

Sam Burns 10 years, 9 months ago

looks like I need to add a couple more names to my comment!!

Trey Hohman 10 years, 9 months ago

It seems to me, that whenever the Henry bros. achieve any degree of notoriety, they then instantly surround themselves with people who are constantly reminding them of it. (Carl) And that’s where they get this sort of weird, misplaced sense of self. It happens all the time with famous pro athletes, but at least some of them are actually authentically famous. (Labron, Kobe, Manny Ramirez, A-Rod, etc)…The Henry bros. are barely famous right now in the scheme of sports. Yet, I think they believe they are legitimately famous people, and because of this, a bit confused by what the actual value of what they are doing truly is. Gaining all of these online friends and fans, so as far as their small circle is concerned, everyone treats them as if they’re some sort of public intellectual/sports Demigod, so they must be. -- It’s a syndrome which started in the late 90's; first with memoir writing. (non-famous people writing about their lives and becoming famous for it.) Next came reality TV. And finally, the internet/ blog sites. -- What is the actual level of the Henry bros. real-life celebrity seems to be very confusing to these two young men. I mean, what’s next up before finally coming to the KU campus? Giving out autographs with Joey Lawrence and Carrot-Top at the local OKC Mall? It’s all getting a bit too weird and sad for college basketball...

mojayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Can we drop this already? Some of the blogs are coming from arch rivals disguised as Jayhawk faithful. The article in the KC Star, though I did not think was really negative, still just gives a piece of the story of what has gone on behind the scenes. Carl knows not to believe everything in print. He was a Pro and I'm sure he's seen all of this before. Leave the Henrys alone! They'll be here soon and will look great in the Crimson and Blue, even if only for a year. It will be a great one! Rock Chalk

FlaHawk 10 years, 9 months ago

The Henry's brought all this on by being the last ones on team to get to Lawrence (if they ever do). So far it is all talk and no action on the part of the Henry clan. They need to become part of the team and Carl needs to let up a little bit and go with the flow.

They need to listen to the old phrae "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me". Manning up (pun) means taking negative press and responding on the court!

GO HAWKS!

Chicago_JHawk 10 years, 9 months ago

I'm happy the way this turned out. The drama is a little offputting, but I'm not sure how much of it is fabricated - I think Carl tends to reveal a little too much about the day to day thought process of X and CJ and it winds up being confusing. I can't fathom a kid that's been scrutinized for as long as X has really pays THAT much attention to an article and the comments that are posted under it to affect a decision as big as this.

Ultimately, we'll be a better squad with them on it. CJ gives us some added depth, and X fills the one hole we had last year - an athletic wing.

Christopher Hauser 10 years, 9 months ago

If we issue a gag order on the site to not talk about the Henry's do you think Carl will do the same. Maybe that was HCBS ultimatum last night, Carl dont talk! d....u....c....t....t....a....p....e when you feel the urge Carl. Now I am offically self-imposing a gag order on myself to not talk about this again.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 9 months ago

Still don't want them!!!! Please go to UK!!!!

Something will tick them off between now and the start of school...guaranteed!!!! We haven't heard the last of this super-sensitive family.

JHWKNMIZRY 10 years, 9 months ago

What a soap opera. Now I know why people like "reality" shows.

With that said, I'm glad they are coming to KU.

GabrielMichael 10 years, 9 months ago

C'mon everyone and chill out. Carl's comments are the ones that send all of us into tailspin most of the time and his eligibility has run out. Give Xavier and CJ a break. This will all be a distant memory after 'late night'.

Brad Avery 10 years, 9 months ago

Why are talented people such a pain in the rear? Anyone who is dumb enough to want to play for Calipari deserves him.

Robert Brock 10 years, 9 months ago

The Henry family needs to ignore anything that is printed in the Kansas City Star. THAT newspaper is a disgrace! And nothing new...

TwinCitiesJHawk 10 years, 9 months ago

X and CJ do not regret their decision because they are winners and have the mind set on winning the title this year. Plain and Simple.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 9 months ago

From a PR and goodwill standpoint, the best thing that could be done is for Gary Bedore to not write another article anout this subject unless it includes a photo of Zaviea holding a newspaper with the date clearly displayed as no later than July 7, 2009 standing in front of Allen Fieldhouse. In that photo, he should be wearing a KU hat, shirt, etc. and waving a KU flag at least 3' x 5'. Even better, he should be in the photo helping the construction crews who are working on the building. A little sweat on his brow would be nice, too. C'mon Gary, you know this would be award-winning. No Photoshop allowed!

Unless this is seen, there should be a ban on additional stories where the name Henry appears. I'm serious about this !!

murph 10 years, 9 months ago

I've been around Hawk basketball long enough to remember several recruits: Ostertag, Pollard, Vaughn, LaFrentz, Pierce, Hinrich, Collison, Gooden, Simien, Jackson, Kaun, B. Rush (remember his brother JaRon, too, and what happened when he decided he was more important that Kansas!), Wright, and Chalmers. I was also there the day Wilt Chamberlain came back - squeezed into his old letter jacket - and shed tears of emotion watching his jersey go up in the rafters.

Among that crowd, they've put in a lot of years in the real Big Time, and have taken home more than a bit of pocket change for their efforts. None of them brought even one percent of drama we've heard out of this particular King Carl on behalf of his ain't-done-nothing-yet kids. It's sad what a mountain Daddy's mouth has built up for those guys to conquer - hope they're darn good climbers! IF they show up at all.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 9 months ago

I'm with ya, soobawls.

If we don't win it this year, it will be because of the Henrys selfish attitudes. I hope they see all these negative posts and decide, once again, not to come to b-ball heaven.

yates33333 10 years, 9 months ago

I have never in over 65 years of following KU basketball seen anything like this effort (the Henry Saga) at recruiting players get so much attention. I have no idea what is happening, but it is unusual. I can't image Phog dealing with a situation like this. Does anyone know of any mess parallel or similar to this?

If Jaybate commented, I missed it. I'd like to know his take.

Joe Baker 10 years, 9 months ago

What a mess! Let's just step over it and move-on. The Henrys and some KU fans totally overreacted to this crap. One lousy writer needs some publicity at the expense of X and KU; and he gets it...and then some!! What a piece of journalistic writing. Much of what is said in these articles sound like words that should have stayed among the Henrys, not the KC Star! Let's just hope that we can all keep our mouths shut and look to football season. Self said it best: They are coming to KU and if they decide differently, there's nothing that can be done. Self and company will take care of business. Let's not bust the Henrys chops over this and let it go as growing pains to a program that everyone knows is desitned for another NC. People will say and do anything to disrupt that possibility. KU and it's players will have to conduct itself as a champion and write this crap off as the futile attempts of some half rate writer seeking some attention. See you on the hill X and CJ, you'll look look great in the Phog!!

RCJHKU

KANSTUCKY 10 years, 9 months ago

You want to put trash about these kids in the paper? Write it about me! I'm a man! I'm 40!

Jack Wilson 10 years, 9 months ago

Word of Advice: Do not let your actions be dictated by the words of others. Everyone has an opinion. Most speak before thinking. Many say things they really don't mean, upon reflection. Top athletes will always be criticized by some. The news media is biased and self-serving .. that's how people are, and people write the articles. It isn't fair, but it is reality. Do what you want to do. Make your decision. But don't let your decision be based on what others say, outside of your trusted family and friends.

One thing is for certain. Once you are part of the Jayhawk family, you are always a part of the Jayhawk family. One and done, or 4 years. This is the Mecca of college basketball. If you choose this path, you won't regret it. Give us your commitment and you have ours. And you will play deep into March (and maybe April).

RockChalkRoll 10 years, 9 months ago

With or without them we are National Title contenders... I think we have a better shot without them judging by the last month. Hopefully they change their attitudes and play TEAM basketball. They need to remember they are playing for the name on the front of the jersey and not the back.

Larry Smith 10 years, 9 months ago

Again, The one thing I don't understand is why everyone is upset with X and CJ. Did they ever come out publicly and say they were not planning on honoring their commitment? Did they ever tell the reporter, radio, tv, blogs or anyone else that they were not planning on coming to Kansas. They are enrolled in fall classes, they have committed to Kansas and have not wavered. Just because some reporter writes something, and their dad says things he should not have, does not mean that X or CJ ever really considered UK. How many times does the kid have to say he is coming to Kansas before everyone leaves him alone about it?

KEITHMILES05 10 years, 9 months ago

Make no mistake about it! Carl Henry and only he started this crap. He should be apologizing to KU, Self, the team, and his kids.

barackchalkjhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Calipari should be selling used Kia's not coaching basketball.

We need more football news on this site. Recruiting, something. Heck, make it up like we seem to be doing with this Henry situation apparently.

prairie_rattler 10 years, 9 months ago

To all of you Henry apologists and purported KU fans... bottom line is if we can't take the Henry's on their word, they're not needed. Self has provided them a tremendous opportunity, and if they can't see it or appreciate it, it's because they're too concerned with themselves. Sherron and Cole sacrificed a lot to come back... for me, this year is going to be all about them.

Sally Presson 10 years, 9 months ago

Everyone gets all shook up because KU fans were looking forward to having the Henry's on our team. My only fear is, do the boys really want to be a Jayhawk? Once a Jayhawk, always a Jayhawk. And if papa Henry wants the greatest coach on this earth to take care of his boys, it's Bill Self. There is no one better than Coach Self in all aspects of the game and the boys will mature into the best basketball players they can be and once their here, they will find there is not a place they'd rather be than Lawrence Kansas!!! But you have to cut the apron strings and get to Lawrence, be a part of KU history and want to be here. I'm a 66 year old woman who lives and breathes KU basketball, actually anything KU and it's an honor for these guys to play here and a we're proud to have them on our team. Come on Henry's!!! Get to Lawrence asap and Rock Chalk!!!!

jayhawkinnc 10 years, 9 months ago

With the Henrys, KU will be a great team. Without the Henrys, KU will STILL be a great team! I have concerns about them possibly disrupting team chemistry with their "me" attitudes. X is more concerned about his NBA future when he hasn't even played 1 college game yet. I'm afraid CJ will get a big head walking around knowing he's a millionaire. I'm afraid neither one of them will take their academics seriously. They're going to be seriously humbled when boot camp rolls around. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Henrys bolt after the first day. However, I trust that Self knows what he is doing and knows how to handle all of the egos on this team and mesh it to play Bill Ball and be very successful. Let's hope the worst of this drama is behind us. I can't wait for mid-November! Rock Chalk!

ChicagoJHawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Ummm...word of advice for Carl Henry, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!! This is not the first time he's opened his mouth & started some drama. Throughout the recruiting process he would tell us one thing one day, and then something completely different the next. Lance Stephenson's dad, on the other hand, just didn't comment on anything until he knew something definite (like most other recruits' parents).

Your sons chose to stay in Oklahoma instead of come to Lawrence & bond with the team. Then you go on a radio show & say that your sons are better than Sherron & Tyshawn, and your honestly surprised that fans are upset??

Man, I really hope this is the end of this bs. Even after they've committed to KU we still don't know if they're coming!

4jhawks4ku 10 years, 9 months ago

Sounds like the snake oil salesman has had his boys on the telephone trying to sway Xavier and CJ. Kinda strange he's kept one scholarship open. Only he would be brash enough to think he could pull this one off. He surely cant have too many coaching friends around the ncaa. The man has no integrity whatsover. First of all he steals his memphis recruits ( I can only imagine how memphis tiger fans feel about that )and then tells the kentucky players he doesnt need anymore to take a hike to make room.

Open Letter to Xavier and CJ:
First of all, youre no better than any other player on this KU squad. You havent been in the trenches. You havent gone through boot camp. You havent walked to class in the rain when you really didnt want to. You havent studied till three in the morning to pass that test youve been worrying about all week. You havent taken the time to work camps when you had other things you wanted to do. You havent had to stand in front of a microphone after losing and keep hidden the things you'd really like to say. You havent had to shoot freethrows in front of a thousand sick Missouri students hollering insults about you and your family. You havent run through the tunnel with fans stretching out hands to wish you the best even if you werent a starter. You havent run through drills till you felt sick, then looked up into the allen field house rafters for inspiration. You havent been down 9 with two minutes to go then give every Kansas fan a huge feeling of pride by an impossible steal and draining a three. You havent done any of that not even close. But you have an opportunity to experience all that and more. Dont let that chance slip away. Kansas fans are true to players that are true. Instead of listening to Wall(who?), and others who have zero college experience give Brandon Rush, Sherron Collins, or Cole Aldrich a call if you want the truth.

Larry Smith 10 years, 9 months ago

Prarie,

Please read my post. At what point did X or CJ every say they were not going to honor their commitment? They gave their word and are sticking to it.

Just because so called fans and posters want to jump off a ledge every time some kind of rumor comes up, regardless of the source, and automatically start saying that the Henrys are creating drama (when in fact the have no part in it), that is not the kids fault.

If you want to call me an apologist because the only people I actully pay attention to what they say are X and CJ themselves along with Coach Self, then so be it. Coach Self is satisfied with their commitment, they have not wavered, and that should be good enough for everyone. Including the "apologists and purported fans".

ChicagoJHawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Does anyone know why these kids don't sign a 2nd letter of intent, after opting out of the 1st letter of intent? It doesn't really make sense to me. Why not sign a 2nd letter? It would avoid all this drama.

I always knew that recruits don't sign a 2nd letter but I thought there was something else that they sign, that's basically the same thing.

Larry Smith 10 years, 9 months ago

Chicago,

They can't sign a second letter because of ncaa rules. They can however sign a financial agreement accepting the scholoship(basically the same thing). Which X has done. X and CJ have also already enrolled in classes. Which would prevent X from being able to transfer without sitting out a year.

ChicagoJHawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Jayhawk86,

I guess I should have worded my question a little differently. I know it's an NCAA rule but do you have any idea why they have that rule in place?

Also, are you sure that they would have to sit out a year, if they were to transfer? I also though that financial agreement was the same thing but after all this drama that's happened I started to wonder. According to some of the people on the messageboards yesterday (KU & UK fans), they would be able to start playing immediately if they were to transfer. I hope you're right though!

RockChalkGuy 10 years, 9 months ago

I have to be honest, I felt sick to my stomach after reading the article and blogs yesterday that insinuated that the Henry's may not be coming to KU after all. I just plunked down a LARGE chunk of change to renew my season tickets and this kind of drama isn't healthy for the basketball program. I am very relieved that that the Henry's have decided to honor their commitment and attend KU. Sure, we'd still be a FF team without them, but man 'o man we're going to be incredible with them.

I attended KU. I didn't really want to go to class, but I understood it's importance in the "big picture" of life, so I went anyway. I don't blame X or CJ for not being enthusiastic about going to class or even hurrying to campus. That being said, now that I am many years removed from my time at KU, I truly wish that I could be back at that time of my life and take advantage of all the wonderful experiences that KU has to offer, but I was too young and naive to recognize.

Gents, you will love the KU experience and I suspect that once you get here and live through it, you'll never have any regrets.

Welcome, again, to the greatest basketball program and community this country has to offer.

Jaminrawk 10 years, 9 months ago

X and CJ - Avoid J. Brady McCullough at all costs. Not only was his article possibly the central part of this scare, but he's a lousy writer as well. Stick with LJ-World. Glad you guys are still Jayhawks.

JayTee040708 10 years, 9 months ago

The article was rather subjective. It seemed like the journalist had an agenda, and now that I find out he was a graduate of Mizzou, it makes perfect sense. I DO think the brothers' Henry were a little over-sensitive in their reaction to the article,....and their dad is a complete enabler, granted. Can they please only write kind things about them for now on?

I just hope that F-er who wrote it has front row seats for the game in Columbia, when KU steamrolls Mizzou, like they will the rest of the Big 12 this season!

BH195788 10 years, 9 months ago

I'm tired of this. Grow up. The NBA is a foregone conclusion already??? Do you think that the reporters and fans of NBA teams will hold back from stepping on their toes if/when they make a team? Well go out and prove everyone wrong! Like other posts on here, I feel like this takes away from KU athletics. There are kids on the team that KU was their dream school to attend and it shows in how they carry themselves and how they represent the school. I would take a team full of those kids over more talented pre madonnas any day. National Championship or not. I hope that I am wrong about these kids and their family. But until I see/hear more positives I am skeptical. Even the quote from Self sounds like he is tired of all of this.

Jory Collins 10 years, 9 months ago

ChicagoJHawk,

The difference between an LOI and Scholarship agreement form is that the LOI is binding and the scholarship agreement form is not. Since CJ was enrolled at Memphis and has already enrolled at KU (this is whats being stated) he couldn't go to Kentucky and play right away. X on the otherhand probably could have transferred and played right away, I doubt he would need a release since the scholarship agreement form is non binding. And, if he needed a release and we granted it to him he would probably be eligible for the one time transfer exceptions.

ChicagoJHawk 10 years, 9 months ago

JayTee040708 & Jaminrawk,

First of all, the article was not that harsh. Even if it was, that's a really, really, really, really lame excuse to leave KU. If they're truly that sensitive then they've got some serious problems ahead of them. Just like BH195788 said, nobody is going to hold back on criticizing them when they're in the NBA.

That article was just a scapegoat, plain and simple.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 9 months ago

Xavier and CJ

Consider this your first "life lesson" as you start your next phase of life.

Some people will love you no matter what you do.....some people will not. Some people will change how they feel about you....some people will not. Some people will respect you.....some people will not.

Praise and criticism are part of life.

Sift through the praise to find humility. Sift through the criticism to find truth.

The best you can do is to try your best.

Jaminrawk 10 years, 9 months ago

I don't think it was overtly harsh, but it sure did cause a strong response from people posting even before the Henrys were talking about possibly going to UK. Plain and simple, I hate J. Brady's writing anyway. I think he is a terrible writer whether he went to MU or whatever.

Xavier is still a young man. If you look back at when you were 18, I'm sure your patience for criticism wasn't as high as it is now. Anyway, it seems like it's all worked out so we should just drop it and look forward to what could be an amazing season with these boys on the roster.

sps3334 10 years, 9 months ago

The fact of the matter is, once these 2 step on campus, they will be treated the same as every other KU basketball player: as a celebrity.

Every time I walk through campus and see a player, every one around them acts as though they’re in the presence of Brad Pitt something. “Oh my God, it’s Cole Aldrich!”; “Holy crap… dude, there’s Sherron!”; “Haha, woah, it’s the Morrises”. Star struck to the point of being afraid to even talk to them.

And when the players go to The Hawk… Well, I won’t get into that. This is a family website. I WILL say that I wish it was that easy for me…

These 2 will be in showered with love and affection just like every other player. I mean, for God’s sake, even Matt Kleinmann, our lovable and ginger walk-on, was popular.

Of course, I’m not one to judge star struck fans, as my claim to fame was a player dinging my car (not going to mention any names, don’t want to incriminate anyone, haha) and getting Mario Chalmers to listen to my iPod in class. I must admit, I feel pretty cool.

But anyways, I digress… While we may look like pompous a**holes to outside parties, this is not the case. We just feel as if we are the best and do not like being jerked around by anyone (see- Roy Williams). Do not mistake this with arrogance, as Kentucky, UCLA, North Carolina, and yes, even Memphis, fans feel the same way. With that said, we love our basketball, and by extension, we love our players and our coaches. To say it’s an infatuation is an understatement.

Remember, people didn’t want B Rush. He had “attitude” problems and didn’t want to go to class before his freshman year. In fact, a lot of the knocks on X man are the same as the knocks on Rush. I’d say Brandon worked out pretty well for us, and this kid will too. In fact, B Rush talks about how much he misses Kansas. I saw him late last semester throwing water balloons at people on campus. Water balloons. I wish I could make this stuff up. That’s the kind of effect KU has on its players. Kids who wanted to jump to the NBA right out of high school and don’t want to go to class wind up staying 3 years and come back after their in the NBA to throw balloons at people.

These kids will love their time on campus, and we will love them back. Just watch.

KUbsee69 10 years, 9 months ago

Doesn't this remind us of the Coach Williams saga??? He was everyone's hero, and suddenly he was a bum. What if he had changed his mind one more time and stayed. Then he'd be everyone's hero again. (Don't taint your thoughts based on actual history, but admit how it would have been if Coach Williams would have stayed).

Now Coach Self is our hero. I'm elated that we have him. But what if T. Boone had offered him enough incentive? Now he'd be a bum to most, too.

The alleged ... repeat alleged ... tilt to UK is just like Coach William's decision to leave for UNC. The subsequent turn against the Henry's yesterday, like the turn against Coach Williams was shocking. Some are still foolishly expressing those thoughts today. Why do we turn so quickly? Emotion rules over logic, but it shouldn't.

Keep the faith. Alway appreciate what we've had, have, and will have. Welcome the Henry's to the greatest BB venue in the World. When they hoist that trophy next Spring, they will be heros.

Jaminrawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Thanks Jesse, I actually just looked that up because it didn't sound right to me.

I do really miss the days when Jason King was covering KU for the Star. Seriously, even before this story, I and several of my friends had said we weren't fans of McCullough. I can't believe the last line of his latest article. Talk about patting yourself on the back.

Regardless, the Henrys are coming and I'm sure this will all be a distant memory by Late Night.

mikehawk 10 years, 9 months ago

I don't know whether they do this or not, but sports psychology 101 should always teach atheletes to never listen to sports talk shows, never read blogs, and generally avoid listening to people like us who have need to fulfill missing pieces of our lives by talking about sports and atheletes, the good and the bad. For the record, these are kids and families, and they have flaws like all families. They are living under the microscope of the public and it is hard. Let's give them a break and let's each of us work on having a life of our own, even for just the next few days. Have a great 4th everyone!

Jeff Hargate 10 years, 9 months ago

Does anyone else find it bizzare that a 23 year old man like CJ can't speak for himself? If Carl was dropping erroneous information about CJ or X why didn't one or both of them tell the media the truth to avoid all of this? I can really see why Roy Williams was burnt out in 1999 with all this recruiting BS...and along came Nick and Kirk.

I just spoke to a friend of mine who is an assistant coach at a high D1 school. He says that he believes 100% that Coach Cal was in the middle of all of this and that eventhough he might not have wooed the Henry's to come to Kentucky he wanted it made clear that it was him and not Coach Self that X wanted to play for. If this is true, what a DB...but I guess we knew this already.

He also brought up a great point. How can Bill and Danny go talk to the Henry's within the rules of the NCAA? Neither one signed a LOI or has attended a class and until they get on campus, can go anywhere they want. It is a dead period in recruiting right now... My friend has a transfer in the same predicament and they cannot speak to him until he shows up on campus eventhough he has committed verbally. I am sure our guys know the rules, but to hear it from an outside perspetive it does make me wonder.

KWufan 10 years, 9 months ago

Look, there was nothing wrong with the article written, everything in there was fact. X wants to hang out with his friends at Kentucky, is that so wrong for an 18 yr old kid to do. Of course, I was more concerned about the integrity of the kid, which he is showing he has by staying with this commitment. Too much press is being given to the family, reporters lay the bleep off, they're just another basketball players with their parents. I'm sure Carl's just sick of speaking with these guys all the time, I know I would. It's slow time for sports right now, because Royals have blown the great start and there needs to be SOMETHING worth writing about. And Keegan, Jesus, who the hell wanted your 2 cents on the issue!! Shut the hell up and write about the KU football team, that's the real story coming up, when it's closer to basketball season write about it then!

truefan 10 years, 9 months ago

I wanted these guys to stay yesterday, and I am happy to hear that they have stayed today. I am not an "apologist," you can look up my comments on yesterdays' article.

kupark 10 years, 9 months ago

I won't be surprised if X and CJ don't come to KU in the end. There seems to be lack of interest and seriousness with the Henry family because who would say that X really wanted to play for Calipari or that CJ is better than Collins and Taylor after you have committed to playing for KU??

Clearly they have no disregard for the coach or the current players. I hope they don't turn out to be cancers on the team.

live4h2o 10 years, 9 months ago

These guys are an embarrassment to the program, and Carl Henry is an embarrassment to athletic alumni. What a terrible ambassador. Grow up.

Robert Murphy 10 years, 9 months ago

Late to the post but I've got to say I am sick of the Henry family. Over hipped boozo. I was pulling for Lance Stephenson. Better talent. I predict X's short career at Kansas will be a disappointment. Sorry to be so negative but from the films I've looked at on X and LS I would have taken Lance. The college recruiting saga is like LSD ....out of control.

dvo1990 10 years, 9 months ago

We need to remember that these are KIDS we are dealing with. When I was 16 to 18 I was getting letters from coaches all over the US, it makes you feel bigger than life. And that was just for mens Volleyball!!! Not even close to what these two brothers are experiencing!! I think this is going to be the norm in recruiting until they have a rule in place that gets rid of the one and done! I say have these kids go to college for 3 years, that way they can't come in for one year and fake going to school. Julian Wright was one semster away from graduating after 2 years at Kansas! It can be done.

Lin Rahardja 10 years, 9 months ago

Can't blame anyone in this situation, eventually, everyone is thinking for themselves. KC Star can write what they want, the Henry's have the right to be upset, the kids have their own minds. HCBS did a great job handling the situation. At the end of the day, they wear Jayhawks uniform.

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

The Henry's latest commitment means as much as their previous commitments to Memphis and KU.

Nothing.

DocBean 10 years, 9 months ago

I think the one thing we can learn from this whole mess is this:

Mother Always Knows Best.

waywardJay 10 years, 9 months ago

im sorry for all the lance lovers.....

is lance as good as X, maybe..... but let's be honest.... we are for right or wrong getting 2 for 1 on this investment........

Unless, lance has a conjoined twin, which would make it a two IN one investment..... he cannot be any better for us......

i got what i was looking for out of this, I got to see the first steps towards these kids becoming MEN.... I haven;t heard carl's voice in 24 hours..... and we are still heavily favored to be presseason number 1..... which means we are that much more close to being post season number 1.......

This just in.... our record is 0-0..... and practices HAVE NOT BEGUN...... remember last season we still weren't sure about whether or not w had the morrises ( what the plural for morris anyway...are the morri ? ) and then one of them Shot a girl with a bb gun ????

That turned into Bill Self Coach of the Year, and 99.999 percent of our scoring returning..... ( and let's be honest..... We gave Matt Kleinman that .001 point for being the awkward kid at the dance.... )

Can't we just trust Bill ( reigning Coach of the year and Championship winning coach ) to sort out the details before we start throwing these kids under a bus in the middle of january because of shot selection, an the inevitable rookie wall .... then to praise them because they finally put it together and played a combined 34 minutes, Scoring 27 points combined in the Midwest Regional final against Kentucky ( which we won 85-47 on the strength of Calipari's famed prognostication that free throws won't matter..... which in this case, would be correct..... )

In fairness to Kentucky, for the second half Calipari trucked in Rod Strickland's mentorship group "guys with DUIS"..... it's a surrounding area clinic that turns former drunks into guys who throw down dunks.... they compiled a total of 3 points.....

Hays_Hawk 10 years, 9 months ago

WOW, it's sickening to read all of the KU fans on here kissing some serious Henry butt as though you know they Henry's are going to read these posts. Please stop...it's not worth it.

Whether you admit it or not, you ALL KNOW that these guys are BAD for KU. The drama is bad...the attitude is bad....it's all bad. No one is worth this much trouble.

One final thought...Carl, you are one sad SOB. Even your sons have to be sick of your crap by now. Keep yourself away from the newspapers and off the radio. You're nothing but trouble.

waywardJay 10 years, 9 months ago

btw... notice.... HE STILL HAS BRACES !

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 9 months ago

i agree with hailto....Dad, just please, let's have some quiet time. it's really not the kids' fault....it seems like Carl can't stay out of the news.

let's have a nice July, and then come August, once they move up here...they'll be plenty of things to talk about. Plus, we can concentrate on some Jayhawk basketball....which is what this is mainly about anyway.

Go Jayhawks! and welcome (again) to Xavier and C.J.!

trmatlock 10 years, 9 months ago

Carl- Everything is not all about your babies. KU basketball is much bigger than that or they would not be considering playing here. Instead of being petty and stupid, you should be teaching them what it means to be good team mates and giving and compassionate human beings. Physical ability is temporary but character is eternal.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 9 months ago

Oh Boy..I can already hear the Mizzou Antler's crayons scribbling like crazy about this one. If the Henrys think they have seen criticism, wait till they get a load of Misery Tigger flack!!

Someone asked T.S.Eliot once what the initals stood for. He answered simply..."thick-skinned". Brothers...take note!!!

michaelaho 10 years, 9 months ago

I don't think this is over yet. I'm embarrassed KU is dealing with these flakes. I'd rather they go play with that greeseball and screw up their program.

tdalry 10 years, 9 months ago

Is anyone else sick of hearing about these guys?

Blake Post 10 years, 9 months ago

what is a "greeseball"? Henry and all players should never read these blogs and comments. There are many who like to shoot off their mouths and do not represent the Jayhawk majority. I will be happy to have the Henry brothers, just like their dad. Now everyone shut up...unless you want future Hawks to think twice because of stupid negative comments. If it affects one kid it could affect the next. What if it affected the next Wilt? (if such a thing could exist) Big Picture, gentlemen! Please! Of course... there is always the probability that the comments came from tigers. All recruits should be apprised of this, maybe?

Steve Gantz 10 years, 9 months ago

From the KC newspaper story that caused this unrest: "“If he didn’t have to go to college, he wouldn’t do it,” Carl says.

A month after signing with the Jayhawks, Carl says, the family looked into Xavier playing in Europe for a year.

“You don’t have to take any classes,” Xavier says."

Why do we want this kid, although at least he's honest. In a lot of ways it's a farce making a kid go to college before going pro.

To get into a habit of recruiting kids like this will turn us into Ohio State, they'd be a truly great team except their great players are OAD's.

treidy 10 years, 9 months ago

I agree with Michaelho, Wissoxfan, tdalry! I have been against recruiting these guys since day one, I am glad everyone else is starting to feel uneasy about them also. I am sick of hearing about them and their complete lack of respect for the University and I am disappointed that Bill Self would even waste his time with people with such little character and disregard for KU. These two chumps remind me of a similar situation when we recruited a soft-skinned, whinny daddy's boy whose father called all the shots: David Padgett. We will be good with or without these chumps so lets drop them and move on because that is apparently what they want to do anyway.

Joe Ross 10 years, 9 months ago

All this drama and a second-generation Henry hasnt once dribbled a basketball on Naismith Court during a game. Let the theatrics CEASE AND DESIST!

Having said that, all the boo-birds will be cheering for the Henrys as loudly as anyone else once they start putting the ball in the hoop.

Henrys: get it together. Fans: recognize your own hypocrisy.

waywardJay 10 years, 9 months ago

unfortunately.... the talking will never stop..... people are divided on these kids and the kids themselves haven't said a word.....

it's always the father....

Earl woods shot off at the mouth saying young tiger was the best of the bunch..... it ruffled feathers......

but he was right..... and tiger has never said one thing since that has made me feel ill towards him.....

Serena and Venus's dad talked about how his kids were more atheletic and more talented than any of the other tennis players of their time....

results are mixed but i can say for sure one thing..... they have been winners for longer than anyone else in their time.....

Maybe Carl Henry is right.... maybe these kids deserve to be in the NBA because of a stupid rule, in a league of stupid rules.... that are and are not officiated equally..... depending on who you are and how much money you give to Stern i mean the nba.....

what i know is this..... I don't really hear CJ and X talking.... I hear Carl Talking..... i have never seen X talk during Video clips..... I heard X say he's coming to kansas, that's FINAL. which may or may not be final..... but it's a start.... and it's not a trash talking start.....

People are always talking about how the newest flashest thing is always better than the old.....

Laser discs are better than VHS, betamax superior 3mm film...... audio cassettes to 8 tracks...... but inevitbaly tere is one grain of truth.....

we'll get to see the market perform.... alot of people thought Sherron was better than russell..... possibly including self ...... you know what, it didn't matter because they played together.... SHerron's been the young upcoming player before, you think he won't know what it's like to be the 6th man in a 5 man rotation..... you think for a minute if Bill Self wasn't satisfied with the returrn of investment he made in driving or flying down to OKC these kids wouldn't bne announcing for us.......

Yeha maybe carl is talking out his ass..... but it's not the KIDS talking..... im hoping they prefer letting their play talk for them..... like tiger, serena and venus..... that's what i see in X on the court...... at least so far anyway...

100 10 years, 9 months ago

LJW -- you guys consistently do a really good job covering KU.

LJW Editorial Board -- for quite sometime it has seemed like "bad" (anti KU) opinion blogs have been on the side of the first page. I'm all for freedom of speech but too often these blogs (and half of the posts under stories) are quite obviously subversive attempts by other schools fans (doing a great job pretending to be us) to attack our players or coaches.

Surely there must be another place to put these blogs/ posts. The stories should be for reading. A link under the story is enough. And we need to do a much better job filtering, although I'm sure by now the NCAA is looking into what Kentucky and Missouri fans have done as posers (on this site, KC Star & twitter) to try to illegally alter things.

There are penalties for what has happened and since ESPN ran the story there really is a good chance Calipari now has another infraction he'll be facing, although this time he had little to do with it (besides whispering into Wall & Cousins ear to keep bugging our recruits).

Let's just try to be more responsible -- I mean, cmon, if anyone is bad mouthing next year's team, doesn't it seem quite obvious at this point what team(s) they are rooting for? And shouldn't the NCAA be let known by the LJW? (afterall you guys have to deal with 50 of these NCAA punishble posts a day).

Something's gotta change.

Keep Rockin the Chalk, LJW

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

jaybate's 129th dream:

..."Its clear that not much of anything is really sacred"--Bob Dylan...

<p>...KansasCityDeathStar.com, posted 8.13.09, 11:19 a.m: Harl Kenry reputedly says that XJ is the best guard in the history of Kansas basketball, better even than himself, and notes that NBA Commissioner Goliath Least-Tern has contacted him about making his sons XJ and Cavier an exception clause that will allow the Kenry brothers to go straight to the pros. Harl Kenry also announced his sons will delay their arrival on campus another week, so they can spend some final quality time together before their careers at KU commence and so they can weigh recent offers... <p>...KansasCityDeathStar.com, posted 8.14.09, 10:31 a.m: unattributed, probably unreliable sources indicate steady-as-bedrock, Wilma Banna-Harbara Kenry tells her sons it would be unwise for them to go straight to the NBA without learning KU Assistant Coach Manuel Danning's hook-jump and KU Head Coach Simon Templar's legendary Self Defense. Unattributed, probably unreliable sources indicate also that after posting her two sons up and dunking on them one last time, the Kenry Brothers will hold a press conference today to announce that they are still coming to KU... <p>...EnablingRivals.com, posted 10.14.09, 1:42 p.m.: Bulletin--Kenry Brothers considering offer from Europe again. Kenry's not sure they will participate in Late Night... <p>...EnablingRivals.com, posted 10.15.09, 3:27 p.m.: Kenry Brothers decide to participate in Late Night, but will only stay at KU, if standing ovations at introduction last 5 minutes or longer. KU Head Coach Simon Templar re-re-re-reiterates that recruiting of the Kenry's is completed and that fans should relax, because this is just the way they are... <p>...FocksSportsTabloid.com, posted 12.31.09, 11:59 p.m.: Harl Kenry indicates Kenry Brothers say they miss close family re-enabler Ron Calimari so much that they want to go to Europe, instead of finish out the season at KU... <p>...FocksSportsTabloid.com, posted 1.1.10, 12:01 a.m.: Wilma Banna-Harbara Kenry says it would be unwise for her sons to go to Europe without passports and vast real estate holdings. Holds press conference, Husband Harl passes out noise makers and party hats, and Cavier and XJ announce their intentions to finish the season at KU...

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

<p>...ESBiasN.stop.gamblingenabling.com, posted 3.1.10, 9:22 a.m.: Genitalia Ditale, sporting his first fully shaved head ever (paying, he says, homage to Manuel Danning), picks 14-24 Har Teals to win it all in March Badness, because Goy M. Williams' young team has the best talent there is and its just hitting its stride, plus "Big Vinny in Detroit told me to say so, or he'd dip me in a zinc acid bath, baby."

<p>...ESBiasN.stop.gamblingenabling.com, posted 3.1.10, 9:22 a.m.: Harl Kenry announces that his sons are clearly the two best athletes in the history of all sports and that his family is outraged that Genitalia Ditale would pick the Har Teals as favorites just because his sons have been secretly considering skipping March Madness to accept an offer with the new Phineas T. Barnum Globetrotters... <p>...666.666amRadioSportsCon.com, posted 3.23.10, 8:49 a.m.: Harl Kenry texts that his sons may sit out the national championship game with University of Contucky tonight, because of their close relationship with University of Contucky Coach Ron Calimari. Kenry also says his sons may not play, because the blogs keep making fun of his sons' reputed chronic uncertainties about continuing to play for KU... <p>666.666amRadioSportsCon.com, posted 3.23.10, 8:52 a.m.: Still solid-as-bedrock Wilma Banna-Harbara Kenry texts back that her sons will in fact play in the national championship game tonight... <p>...bayfateSportsNewsService.com, posted 3.24.10, 2:48 p.m.: bayfate interview with Harl Kenry...

bayfate: Harl, thank you for agreeing to this interview.

Harl: pub is pub, man, even from a bottom feeder like you. Cassius Ali Clay Muhammad proved that in this society, it ain't enough to be the greatest. Ya gotta have pub. Gotta ad soap to the spin cycle constantly. gotta have the pub to create the principle and interest. You dig?

bayjate: (nods) Were your sons ever really suffering chronic uncertainty about playing for KU during this entire process?

Harl: I can't comment on that. But I can say that my sons say they are not entirely sure they are going to subject themselves to the upcoming NBA draft...

bayjate: Gotcha...

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

..."and the one road they've travelled will soon shatter and split"--Bob Dylan...

<p>...KansasCityDeathStar.com, posted directly to the chip in your brain, 2.12.2030, Half Time, Allen Field House, 2:38 p.m.: Unattributed, unreliable sources indicate Kenry brothers may not come out for the half time ceremony to hang their jerseys in the rafters, after all, because they are considering an offer to do a product endorsement..." <p>...KansasCityDeathStar.com, posted directly to the chip in your brain, 2.12.2030, Half Time, Allen Field House, 2:40 p.m.: Still solid-as-bedrock Wilma Banna-Harbara Kenry leads both legendary sons out to center court by the ears, as Harl pushes her wheel chair. Wilma announces that her sons will now participate in the jersey ceremony, or she will jump out of her chair and dunk on both their grills one last time, and don't think she couldn't...

..."But its alright ma, its life and life only..."--Bob Dylan...

Jaminrawk 10 years, 9 months ago

It's interesting because a lot of these negative posters don't typically post on this site. It makes me wonder if they are really KU fans at all of just trying to stir the pot. That is the problem with anonymity.

These boys will feel the love in AFH and around town when they come here. My guess is that most of the people on soap boxes today are probably disliked by some people too, but will still cheer every time Xavier hits a shot.

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

Jaminrawk,

I do believe you are right that many of those critical of the Henrys will be cheering the Henrys, if they in fact finally come and play.

But it also seems only logical that many people simultaneously poke fun about the Henrys and later root for them, because to do so is, after all, a vaguely equivalent reaction to the Henry's on-again, off-again, on-again, off-again, on-again issue. They're coming. They're not coming. I poke fun at them. I cheer them.

It is the quantum age, the era of fuzzy logic computing algorithms afterall, Jaminrawk. A can equal and not equal B in certain circumstances. Ambiguity can have utility, even though it, like all other things, can be abused. :-)

Regarding the lurkers, as Jesus might say were he with us today and registered under the KUsports.com alias of something like "jaychrist," (I just know Jesus would be a Jayhawk were god to permit him such secular felicities) the lurkers we will always have with us. Humiliate them for fun, occassionally, but never worry about them; that is giving them too much power over you and the Legacy.

Enjoy the vanity fair. Get used to all of this. The Henry Brothers, good as they may be, are very probably going to be at KU for 2-3 years.

Regardless, the Legacy will survive this little comedy easily enough.

Justin LoBurgio 10 years, 9 months ago

Jaybate...."Genitalia Ditale"........classic.

John Randall 10 years, 9 months ago

[quote]you suck! The only reason that they had a family meeting was because of people like you. You should feel relieved that we get to retain the highest-rated recruit in the Self era, possibly even in KU history. Having Xavier and CJ back makes us the team to beat next year. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!! The Henry's are forgiven in my books, and hopefully Jayhawk nation feels the same way.[/quote]

They have family meetings pretty often. More families should do that.

The arrogance our fellow fan typing the statement, "the only reason they ... " makes the ego problems down OKC way seem minor. As if this poster knows apple butter from baby $#it.

Seeing that Xavier is beginning to realize, with help from his dad and coach Self, that grownups don't get to try a new toy every week is heartening. For most 17-yr olds, hearing anything but praise and adoration is tough to take unless you've been exposed to it before. Some deal with it better than others.

As far as being highly rated is concerned, I keep a copy of those rankings handy in case I run out of toilet paper. The only opinion that matters is the way the coach feels about you after practice.

Joe Baker 10 years, 9 months ago

I think most never doubted the Henrys. But if you are defending this controversial article, you need to listen to HCBS's radio conference. It doesn't sound like this article was viewed very highly by Self. Call and leave a vm criticizing his relationship with the family. Call him a "Henry sympathizer." Tell him what he should do as head coach of one of the most "proud" programs in the nation. Tell him how you have more pride than all these other fans on this board. The true fans/alum are welcoming and encouraging the Henrys in support of HCBS!! This is why he and he alone is the head coach and thank God he doesn't listen to hyper-critical "fans" concerning this matter.

RCJHKU

pablo 10 years, 9 months ago

Gah, I'm so sick of the Henry's. I'll stick with the old team instead of having this drama queen on KU.

sps3334 10 years, 9 months ago

I should copy and paste the link to this article. I'll want to save it for when people are talking about how much they loved this team and EVERYONE on it when we win it all.

John Randall 10 years, 9 months ago

[quote] There are kids on the team that KU was their dream school to attend and it shows in how they carry themselves and how they represent the school. I would take a team full of those kids over more talented pre madonnas any day.[/quote]

BH195788 -- I share your sentimental attachment for players with the 'right attitude,' but I also think, for KU next season, the difference in level of success with or without these two would be minimal.

On another point, having lived 46 years with a true Prima Donna (from the Latin, meaning 'Leading Lady'), I'd like to know if "pre madonnas" are women who haven't yet given virgin birth? In common vernacular, egotism is the quality most often associated prima donnae, so I'm assuming that is the aspersion you intended to cast, appropriately or not.

Hawktacular 10 years, 9 months ago

2009 Boot Camp = tougher than any in the past = Self serving the Henry boys a dose of reality = the first step in working toward team chemistry

While CJ may have gone through rigorous training as a professional baseball player, I highly doubt Xavier has experienced anything similar to boot camp.

Here's to Self using it to take one or both of these guys down a peg, and bettering the entire team along the way.

kujayhawk34 10 years, 9 months ago

“If it wasn’t for his momma saying, ‘I wouldn’t move down to Kentucky,’ then Xavier would’ve been at Kentucky,” Carl Henry said. “So Xavier said, ‘I’m going to Kansas’ even though that is what he wanted to do, to go to Kentucky and play under Coach Calipari. I expressed that to Coach Self and told him.

“Now that all this stuff has been said, his mom doesn’t care where he goes. So guess what? The kid may have a change of mind. That’s what I told Coach Self. If the kid has a change of mind, so what? So be it.”

that's in the june 30th article written on yahoo! sports. If this really is true (which i hope it isn't) then why are we so excited for their arrival...?

John Randall 10 years, 9 months ago

Enough, already! Until MM's guys go below .500, Hold the roundball stuff until Dec-Mar.

Off season is tough on everyone. We can survive it without stepping into every snare these pseudo-fan trolls rig up on our boards. Hang in there, September is on the way!

BCRavenJHawkfan 10 years, 9 months ago

In the words of Yogi Berra "It's not over till it's over."

Dan Cook 10 years, 9 months ago

Amazing how many fans know so much about a subject on which they truly know nothing. I get it's the right of the fan to form opinions based on whatever they perceive, but the facts aren't what we read in the paper and in the blogs. The facts are what the kids themselves decide they're going to do and what they communicate to Bill Self and Danny Manning. And until you've been there, you really can't imagine what the kids, or their families, go through when as highly pursued as Xavier Henry.

I remain extremely happy that both Henry sons are coming to KU. We are talking about offspring of a couple of Jayhawks, folks. So Dad talks too much and has had to learn his lesson. I see that he's apologized and I'm glad he did. I accept it even though he owes me nothing. I would encourage those that think they know what these kids think, how these kids behave and what type of kids they really are to step back and realize you know nothing about them. What you do know is that Bill Self has handled situations like this for a long time and handled them wonderfully. And that Xavier has assumed he'd be a Jayhawk for the vast majority of his life.

Wth all due respect, let's find something else to fret over and someone else to lambast. As far as the Henry family goes, they are Jayhawks and that means we support them.

Rock Chalk.

mjlindsm 10 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, you guys are right on the money! We don't need a top-10 prospect, say a 6'6" G/SF who doesn't want to go to class before stepping on campus, isn't here for the summer, and seems just to be waiting for the NBA. Our program is so far above that and we don't want him!

That's right, I said it! We don't want Brandon Rush playing basketball at Kansas!

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 9 months ago

Jaybate -

Goy M Williams? That's almost as ripe as The Gicky D reference!

jujubean -

"...they are Jayhawks and that means we support them." Have you not read the "time line" of events that has lead up to this point? Notwithstanding the comments and rhetoric from posters and critics, the facts are the facts. This has been a long, completely inappropriate series of roller-coaster-like events that are even un-sportsmanlike conduct in my mind. Excuse us if we don't turn the other cheek and weave flowers in our hair while quoting Rodney King. KU doesn't do drama the way some other schools do. We just don't abide by it and reject it in these forms. They will have support when and only when they run onto the court at Late Night.

100 10 years, 9 months ago

LJW -- we need to change how posting is done. A link suffices. We have too many non KU people on this site stirring the real fans up.

This behavior is no different than the UK fan who set up the Xavier twitter page which by the way is an NCAA infraction.

Let's minimize this behavior on this site -- the posting spot should be tied to a link to make this a reality. Otherwise the LJW is too easy of a target for the types of UK fans who don't mind risking Calipari's status with the NCAA infractions committee.

Rock Chalk, CJ & X

John Randall 10 years, 9 months ago

""Xavier Henry announced April 23 he would attend KU with C.J.""

Am I misinformed, or is it the other way around? Who is actually the 'big' brother in this family? Maybe Carl?

JHWKNMIZRY 10 years, 9 months ago

Nobody should pay too much attention to a message board. Many of these " fairweather" fans are probably not KU fans at all. MU and KSU fans will stream the board with lies if they think it will have any effect.

I love MU. I love KSU. I love NU football. I love Duke. I love NC.

I just lied 5 times in the previous sentence. It CAN be done.

I LOVE KU.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 9 months ago

jaybate -

If it stinks, it's past ripe. If it smells good, it's ripe!

I subscribe to the theory: if you can't say something nice about somebody, don't say anything. I might be outspoken about a subject or topic on this board. But, I'm not one to be-little, argue or taunt other posters. I just won't acknowledge their ignorance and inability to see things my way..

Peace, brother man!

Dillon Davis 10 years, 9 months ago

Is anyone else concerned with the fact that Xavier didn't want to come to KU, that he only chose us because of his mother? I mean i'm not saying i don't want the Henry bros because they are certainly going to help our team but idk something about this makes me a little less appreciative of them choosing us. My only concern is if they will mesh with our current players peacefully. I mean they chose to skip summer school and work out on their own, they wanted to play for Cal again, idk. I just hope they aren't outcasts on the team or anything, like they don't talk to anyone but each other or don't hang out with the team because that could be a mess. I can see it now, C.J not getting enough p.t and he getting upset and then his dad would get all upset at Self and then Xavier might develop harsh feelings towards Self and it could turn into this whole big mess. I hope it doesn't but from what we've seen in their recruitment, i wouldn't be surprised.

Rod Huffman 10 years, 9 months ago

As a life long Broncos & Jayhawk fan I thought "Oh no, hear we go again! Another Cutler saga." But I am glad to hear it is over. Is the KC Star a Kansas or Missouri paper? I think it is based in Missouri so the question arises, Is the story that started this whole mess started by someone at the University of Missouri to possibly sabotage the Jayhawks? Just something to think about... Welcome Henry brothers,looking forward to another great season and possibly another National Championship. Rock Chalk Jayhawk Go KU!!!

Dan Cook 10 years, 9 months ago

Memhawk,

I don't get my "facts" from what I've read, but yes, I know the time line and I know it well. I don't believe everything I read and I don't really get too worked up about overly active parentel commentary. At least not when it comes from someone that is a Jayhawk and has a good relationship with our staff.

As for the long and winding road, if one doesn't have the stomach for drawn out recruiting sagas, one should avoid all the twists and turns.I choose to trust that Bill Self will make the right decision and then manage the situation well. Not just in this case, but all cases. I do admit to having limited patience for those that pass so much judgment and cast such personal aspirations towards people based on perceived "facts" they read, unless they have personal knowledge of the situation.

I have no issue with the support for the Henry brothers/family being on hold until you see the kids in KU uniforms. I wouldn't say that's unreasonable given this situation. But in the meantime I just don't concur with personal attacks. That's the point I'd prefer gets primary focus.

However it happened and no matter what may have tempted him elsewhere, Xavier Henry has committed to being a Jayhawk. Since I know that he has assumed he would be a Jayhawk for the majority of the last 5 years, I'm comfortable with the end result and choose to believe he's a good kid with a strong work ethic who will be a good teammate. Should that not end up being the case, I'll be wrong, disappointed and, frankly, pissed off. But until then, I refuse to assume the worst.

If that makes me crimson and blue blind, I'll sleep comfortably in that role.

Peace.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 9 months ago

jujubean-

I'm glad that we appear to be on the same page on most issues here.

I have lived by the philosophy that I learned early in my adult professional life: "Perception is greater than reality". Unfortunately, this means that most people will believe the perception of the truth and not be skeptical. Also as unfortunate is the fact that there are vast numbers of ways to present perceptions in this world now and fewer ways to validate the truth. Sometimes, spreading perceptions, rather than the truth, is malicious. Most of the time, however, I think it is simply a symptom of how we are on information overload and can't take the time to be responsible enough to seek the truth. There are those people who choose to "spin" the truth to further their agenda for gain or for shock value. There are the dangerous ones. There are probably as many of these types of people, unfortunately, on this site making comments as there are people who sincerely believe they know the facts and the truth. Then, of course, there are those who just like to argue, taunt and bully other posters behind their opinions and judgements of issues and other's comments. I guess this is called "free speech"!

Frustrating as it may be, I'm glad we at least have this forum and the freedom to give input and opinions and to also share our spirit for our most common denominator, KU sports!