Friday, January 30, 2009

Feeding post a problem for KU

Kansas center Cole Aldrich throws down a dunk during warmups before tipoff against Nebraska Wednesday, Jan. 28, 2009 at the Devaney Center in Lincoln.

Reader poll

Was ESPN's Doug Gottlieb out of line when he said Cookie Miller was "acting like a punk" against KU?

• Yes 11% 179 votes
  • No 87% 1305 votes
  • Undecided 1% 15 votes

1499 total votes.

It’d be easy to heap all the blame on 6-foot-11 Kansas University center Cole Aldrich for failing to score in the first half of Wednesday’s game against under-sized Nebraska.

It’d also be wrong to do so.

“Cole was not a factor in large part because we didn’t get him the ball,” KU coach Bill Self said after the Jayhawks’ 68-62 victory.

“Our guards don’t do a good job of feeding the post. They don’t. We’ve got to do better. We had him wide open one time for a layup and threw it out of bounds. He was not going to get too many looks the way the game was going the first half. He should have come away with three or four good ones,” Self added.

Aldrich missed his only shot attempt while playing 11 minutes in the first half as NU stormed to an early 11-point lead in Devaney Center in Lincoln, Neb.

“All of us need to do a better job,” KU sophomore guard Tyrel Reed said. “The first half, Cole was wide open for a layup. We ran a nice play. Cole had great position. I just threw it out of bounds. Cole does a great job of getting position. We just have to do a better job of getting him the ball.”

Aldrich hit three of four shots the second half and two of four free throws. He finished with eight points and eight rebounds (all in second half) while logging 26 total minutes.

“You just can’t force it,” Reed said of the key to feeding KU’s big men. “You’ve got to be patient with it when you’re feeding the post, because at certain times a guy could be fronting him, you throw it over the top.

“That’s definitely going to be a point of emphasis, getting the ball to our post man,” Reed added. “It makes the game that much easier for us guards for them to kick out the shots and when Cole has the ball good things happen.”

Brady Morningstar — his two threes sparked KU the first half while Reed’s back-to-back threes ignited KU in the second — agreed with his backcourt teammate that KU’s guards must never forget about Aldrich.

“He was open a couple times tonight and we didn't give him the ball,” Morningstar said. “Especially against a team like Nebraska ... they don’t play a lot of bigs (so) we have to use that as an advantage and just give him the ball because when he gets it, he does damage.”

Aldrich — Self said he was to practice Thursday after getting whacked in the nose by a Husker during intense second-half action (“he took a hard hit to the nose,” Self said) — did not blame his teammates for failing to find him Wednesday.

“Our whole team came out a little slow,” Aldrich said. “Nebraska pressured us and got us out of our comfort zone. They really came out hard at us and made us uncomfortable. It made us make some uncharacteristic passes and plays.”

Frontcourt players Marcus and Markieff Morris combined for two points while playing just six combined minutes the first half. Marcus finished with five points in seven minutes; same for his brother. Markieff had five rebounds; Marcus one.

“It was tough for the twins to get in there and play. They are bigger (than Huskers). They struggled like myself (guarding) out on the perimeter,” Aldrich said. “They knew it (would be difficult) going in.”

Reed said the twins are like Aldrich in they have “great hands. If we feed them a good pass, they are going to catch it. It was my fault for not getting our post players the ball.”

Perhaps the beauty of Wednesday’s game is KU somehow managed a road victory on a night the Jayhawks put up just 39 shots to NU’s 60 and totaled six assists against 21 turnovers.

“I don’t know how you win like that. Luckily we did. We’re very fortunate,” Reed said.

Self let the players know they were quite fortunate to win their fifth consecutive game in Devaney Center and 12th straight overall against NU.

“He was frustrated,” Reed said. “We didn’t have a solid practice (Tuesday) and it transferred over. We didn’t have a lot of energy in practice and at the start of the game. You can’t win on the road coming out without energy.”

KU will next meet Colorado at 3 p.m. Saturday in Allen Fieldhouse, then head to Baylor for an 8 p.m., Big Monday game.

Sadler miffed at Gottlieb: NU coach Doc Sadler is upset at ESPN color announcer Doug Gottlieb for uttering the words “acting like a punk” in describing NU guard Cookie Miller’s actions in wrestling the basketball from KU’s Mario Little in the second half Wednesday. Miller kept tugging at the basketball after the whistle had blown.

“He (Miller) should let it go. He’s acting like a punk,” color analyst Gottlieb said on the air.

The Omaha World-Herald reported that Sadler’s voice “could be heard Thursday booming through an office hallway asking for a phone number for ESPN.”

“I think it’s fair for people to analyze coaches and officials," Sadler told the World-Herald. “But I think unless there is something flagrantly done, you don’t call out players. When there is a play that is a loose ball and there is nothing done but a jump ball called, to call out a player and say he’s ‘acting like a punk’ is wrong. You don't do that.”

Sadler told the Lincoln Journal-Star Gottlieb’s use of the word “punk” was “classless and unprofessional.” He said he thought Gottlieb owed Miller an apology.

The Journal-Star reported Gottlieb’s conversation with Omaha radio station 1620: “He absolutely was acting like a punk. Go back and watch the tape if you guys want, but he was acting like a punk.

“If you look at the replay, there are 10 guys on the floor, (and) nine of them just standing up, dusting themselves off, getting ready for the next play, and Cookie Miller’s trying to rip the basketball out of Mario Little’s hands. ... He wasn’t throwing any punches, and he didn’t deserve to be thrown out of the game, but he was acting like a little punk.”

The World-Herald said that Sadler on Thursday contacted the Big 12 office. He told the paper he’d be calling Gottlieb and ESPN.

Comments

Don Everett 10 years, 11 months ago

Miller was acting like a punk. For once, I agree with Gottlieb.Get over it Sadler and disipline your players.

darnelljackson32 10 years, 11 months ago

darnelljackson32 10 years, 11 months ago

jayhawker_97 10 years, 11 months ago

good article, Gary. coach Self will surely direct our guards to be more creative and proactive involving the postmen. Aldrich is capable of sealing a pass but he also has tendency to get lost after getting double-teamed..(as quoted by many posters). hopefully, he can learn fast from 'the tape' and be more productive on the boards and around the basket. for our guards, i want to see more lob passes and penetration. let the bigs follow them and throw dunks. jam it, baby, slam it.energize your fans and show some teeth, c'mon now!!

Dirk Medema 10 years, 11 months ago

Gotta love the rational. Only a jump ball was called, so there must not have been any other problem. What a crock. And the crazy thing is that it seems as though he believes it. I guess I expected more from NU's coach.

Dirk Medema 10 years, 11 months ago

A chunk of the blame does need to go to Cole, and I think he realizes it even if his teammates are taking some blame. He looked lost and was even stuffed (2x's?) by NU's 6-5 "big" man. Shameful, simply shameful. A game like this, AU (& other quicker opponents to follow) are reasons why I hope Cole continues to work thru next summer and return to KU. He has plenty of potential, so the NBA will draft him for that reason alone, but another year working with Danny could turn him into the next Blake Griffin, '09 POTY.

KEITHMILES05 10 years, 11 months ago

Sadler is being stupid. He himself controls himself very loosely. No wonder his player acted dumb.You can find alot of other words to describe Miller's tantrum and antics and they ALL would be fitting.Salder is going to come out looking like a bigger fool than he is.

wxhawk 10 years, 11 months ago

I wouldn't say he's being stupid. As a coach, you gotta step up for your players if they are called out. Whether or not he knows that Miller WAS acting like a punk. Can't blame the coach for sticking up for his player.

Robert Brock 10 years, 11 months ago

Re Josh Smith: Bedore forgot to mention the 800-pound gorilla in the chase for Smith. UCLA. Some writers think that the Bruins lead at this time.

gutter 10 years, 11 months ago

I know Self realizes that when his players are lacking in some regard he and the coaching staff need to work with them to fix the issue. I assume that's what they did yesterday and will continue to do. Self and the coaching staff happen to do an outstanding job of correcting problems.

Alan Braun 10 years, 11 months ago

Gottlieb was being too kind. "punk" isn't good enough. "Thug" would be better. Miller's forgotten he's not on the playground anymore.

hirschtodd 10 years, 11 months ago

yes....miller IS and WAS being a punk! However, Gottlieb is by far the WORST color guy in college basketball. He is an arrogant jerk. He is entertaining on the radio at times, but his performance during games is terrible. He IS unprofessional and Sadler is right in calling him out. There were PLENTY of ways Gottlieb could have got his point across that would have been more professional.

John Mueller 10 years, 11 months ago

I'll take him over Dickie V any day. He's colorful and opinionated. I guess I thought that is what a "color" guy was supposed to do.He also knows the game and can inform the audience while watching. I don't always agree with him but I enjoy listening to his call.Dick Vitale doesn't even talk about the game. Half the time he's already promoting his next stop on the Dick Vitale dream life.But, I really like Knight. I think he's terrific. too bad he's pared with Brent "Boone Pickens" Musberger.

kerbyd 10 years, 11 months ago

Doc's comments are reminesent of comments made by Penders after one of his players face stomped Buddinger. He blamed ESPN for doctoring the tapes showing what the Houston player did! Actions speak much louder than words, even if you don't like what the words are.

Tom Gillaspie 10 years, 11 months ago

I thought it was impressive that Little didn't get more upset than he did. And yes, Miller was acting like a playground punk . If he doesn't want the moniker he shouldn't play the part. There are plenty of other ways to pump up the crowd. Should also be noted Nebraska tried the same pile-on, after the whistle, when Taylor was on the floor later in the second half. We all know that KU is the home game all the Big 12 teams want to win. I think that the adjustments that were made in the second half, and the simple fact that KU played horribly and still won, shows that the team is maturing. How many people out there can honestly say they thought KU would be 5-0 in the Big 12? With a great chance to be 6-0.

Jonathan Andrews 10 years, 11 months ago

When Doug said it, I told my friend that it was a refreshing dose of honesty form an ESPN commentator, and I fully support it. If you'll recall, he also called out Sherron for having "the worst 9 1/2 minutes of the season" to start the game, which he did.If I ever see a Jayhawk behaving the way Cookie Miller did, I hope a national commentator has the stones to "call a spade a spade". Go Gottlieb!

Joel Hood 10 years, 11 months ago

I like Doc Sadler as a coach - you gotta love his passion. The problem is that no one else in the state of Nebraska really cares that much.

JayhawkPurist 10 years, 11 months ago

It's one thing to object to a color guy using the word "punk" to describe a player's actions. That's a matter of taste and opinion. It's another to defend your player's actions when he was clearly acting like a fool. I agree with crooner, and will take it one further: I have to believe that if a KU player ever goaded another player, especially after the whistle, and then swaggered away, pulling out his jersey and contorting his face and mouthing obscenities, surely Coach Self would pull him from the game and demonstrate his disapproval. The TV cameras would no doubt see that, and any color analyst who may have called that KU player a punk would amend his comment by saying there's no place for that in college sports, Coach Self knows it, he dealt with it, and hopefullly the player will learn from it and not embarass himself and his program again.But what does Coach Sadler do? He, at least as far as I could see, did nothing immediately after that play, and then demands an apology from Gottlieb and ESPN. I agree with Gottlieb that it's probably hard to recruit kids to Nebraska, but excuses and coddling won't take NU basketball anywhere.

nocaljayhawk 10 years, 11 months ago

Word, Springtxhawk, word. Give me Gottlieb, Fran F., Bilas, or Rafftery ANY DAY over Vitale, who continues to spout the same stupid phrases that was used 20-some years ago when I began watching (and hearing) him on espn. Doc can balk at the use of the word "punk" all he wants; the proper term for the way Cookie was acting begins with B and ends with H.

Rick Arnoldy 10 years, 11 months ago

I like Gottlieb. He's one of very few at ESPN that doesn't follow the company schtick. I'd take him over the self-promoting tired caricature of Dick Vitale any day.

Paul Meyer 10 years, 11 months ago

Yes, the point guards need to feed the bigs down low, but the real problem with the Jayhawks offense this year is court awareness. They have a tendency to turn the ball over so much because they don't know where they are on the court. Sounds silly, but look at the revealing stat of only (6) assists.

lance1jhawk 10 years, 11 months ago

Yea... Cokkie Miller was acting like a little punk. Pants on backwards boy shouldn't have to apologoze for summarizing Millers actions on that play.On a different note, this is hillariousJayhawks the musicalhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0N1uX...

Scott Oswalt 10 years, 11 months ago

Cookie Miller is a wannabe Earl Boykins. He is absolutely a punk. Why should he apologize for that? Cookie should've got a tech called on him. I can't wait till Nebraska comes to Lawrence. I doubt it will be as close playing at Allen.

JayDocMD 10 years, 11 months ago

Cookie was acting like a punk - I expected to see a gold grill when he opened his yap along with an oversized clock hanging around his neck and a pair of white sunglasses... fight the power you little Flavor Flav wannabe. His punkishness was evidenced not just from the prolonged ball yank, but for his reaction right after. The little fella seemed pretty proud of himself as he walked away, yapping like a chihuahua and yelling at the crowd "lets go!" - like he was firing up his team and the crowd. I find it amusing that it seemd to do the opposite and help wake up KU and to finish off NU. I guess KU playing at 50% (at best) is better than NU at home at 100%.BTW - I like Gottlieb. very knowledgable and in touch with the game as well as the under 30 fans... makes good observations and is not afraid to tell it like it is.

BackFat 10 years, 11 months ago

Gottlieb's one of the best in the business. I wish we had him for more games.

OldRick 10 years, 11 months ago

I would argue that a foul call in that situation may have avoided the scrum. Little was on the floor covering up the ball and Miller literally jumped on his back for the "tie up" if you can call it that. I realize they reward hustle sometimes but I thought this was in part a fault of the officiating. Even rewinding a little farther to the original play, Little was fouled with a rake across the face on the attempted steal....no foul call. Not that this is a free pass for Miller but he did not throw punches, and I can't remember his behavior in previous years being that out of line or deserving of "punk" status. Gotlieb probably could have commented on the poor behavior without calling someone names.

wi_jayhawk 10 years, 11 months ago

I laughed when Gottlieb made the comment during the game, and still agree with his comment. He's a color commentator, meaning: he's there to add something beyond play-by-play. Surprisingly, no one is making a fuss about the comments before halftime that Nebraska was 'inept' at scoring during parts of the half.

Page Butler 10 years, 11 months ago

I personally think Doug Gotleib is the best color commentator I have heard in a while. I even made that comment about that to my Dad as we were watching. He has much more to add than "the team that scores the most will probably win" or some similar "keys to the game" than most guys offer. I would love to have him on every broadcast.

kvskubball 10 years, 11 months ago

I like pants-on-sdrawkcab, he's never been a coach (to my knowledge) and he brings a player's view to his commentary of the game, which is much closer to my view than whatever view Vitale has, if he is actually talking about the game. I think a lot of people still remember Gott as the brash, even arrogant player that he was. He had just enough talent to be dangerous, matter of fact some of the time he acted like Miller, so I really think he knows what he is talking about in this situation. I never expected him to be any good as a color commentator, but I think he is.And about Sadler, I think he is a good coach, but he is like Sheron running into a double team, sometimes it seems like he just doesn't know when to stop, backup and go around instead of through....After he watches the play I'd be surprised if he doesn't at least privately tell the C(r)ook-ie to not do it again. One thing to think about is that he isn't in basketball heaven like Coach Self is, so he has to try to get 110% out of his team. Backing his kids in public probably seems like part of the job, but I have to agree that I think this was a punk-act classless play. It was like the little squirt thought he could intimidate not-so-Little, HAH! I like the comparison to a chihuahua!

WilburNether 10 years, 11 months ago

Gottlieb was exactly right, and Sadler has proven himself to be a jerk and a whiner. Remember the final seconds of last year's Big 12 Tournament win over the Cornyhuskers? KU had it won, was dribbling out the final seconds, and a Nebraska punk came up from behind Rush, who was just standing there, holding the ball loosely as the final seconds ticked off. The Nebraska punk grabbed the ball, and went down and scored. It was the act of a punk, which now seems to be the norm at Nebraska under Sadler. No class at all.Quit whining and get over it, Sadler, and see if you can learn what it takes to be a class act, improbable though that might seem at this time.

Sparko 10 years, 11 months ago

Teams pack it in on Aldridge. There are times when it is best to forget him in the offense rather than throw it away when three defenders collapse on the past. Someone else is open if that happens. 13 turn-overs is not a sign of Kansas forgetting Aldridge, but rather forcing passes. Sherron can make it all work with penetration--but he did not start well Wednesday.

KGphoto 10 years, 11 months ago

Gotty rules. I only hopes he maintains his edge in this watered down field of sellouts and goofs. Viva La Gotty!And I'll give Cookie Crisp a mulligan. That was a huge game for NU. Put yourself in his criss-crossed Oompa Loompa suspenders for a moment. A little extra diss-and-vinegar in a game they had a chance to win, is something that is damn near necessary, if not admirable. If he'd only stopped before turning jackass and doing a Mark Gastineau for the Cornheads. If, after he over-fought for the ball and showed his fire, he'd cooly walked away and kept his head straight, it's a different story.But look at it this way. He provided a whole lotta bulletin board treats for his trip to AFH. Not to mention the truck load of fan material.I won't make the game, but may I make a suggestion? How about a Lil Red/Oompa Loompa costume with a #24 on it? Maybe folks could dress up their babies and toddlers in #24 NU uniforms, complete with headbands, and hold them up when he's at the free throw line? Someone could brainstorm and offer their own Punky Brewster humor to the Fieldhouse.Nah. Hawk fans are better than that. Right?

Blake Brown 10 years, 11 months ago

Re getting the ball into the post, we definitely lacked focus, patience and intent in doing so. Once we did, Cole and the twins put up the four letter word Mario does not like, soft lay ups off the board instead of stuffing the ball into the basket. Travis did too, but fortunately, they crawled in. This happpened time after time. They have got to be more aggresive and forceful. It carries over to the team which is still not as fiesty as they need to be. It takes another team to get in our face to push us into that mindset. We are growing in this area.A punk is a punk is a punk.Gottlieb makes comments that push buttons; not a good trait for a color man. I like that he know the inside part of the game and adds insight there and he has familiarity with the Big Xll. We need more reporters raving about our conference instead of the east coast bias. He makes a good point in the first half when Cole passes to Sherron who does not go to meet the ball and it gets intercepted. Cole makes a bad pass, but Sherron can bail him out and doesn`t.

MIZ_NIT 10 years, 11 months ago

I love how everyone is focusing on Cookie Miller. 1. He was simply tryin to get some airtime, and some recognition. 2 Little could have palmed him and slamed him through the hoop if he wanted to. The issue everyone should be discussing is just how worthless our post game is if Cole isn't or, or isn't getting the ball. The Morris twins seriously look lost. There is no way Kleinman would do any worse out there, and atleast he has a move or two. The twins will cost us a game in the next month, I promise that.

not_important 10 years, 11 months ago

At the last home game, kids in the north endzone had letters on sticks spelling out "AIN'T NO SEATS". I sure hope they might consider changing it up for the Nebraska game on the 21st to read "AIN'T NO PUNK?"

rawkhawk 10 years, 11 months ago

Give the twins a break. I see improvement every game. They have had some good minutes, and I see them being positive contributors in games to come.

kufankam 10 years, 11 months ago

JayDoc MD-You hit the nail on the head! So often, players do things like what Miller did-diving in trying to rip the ball away as if to say, "that's mine... this is our house". Okay, that is one thing. But Cookie confirmed for all to see that he is just a little punk by his little show he put on right after he was pulled away. Cookie put on his little, "I'm a hard a$$" routine with the knowledge that Little and any other jayhawk had been restrained. It was the classic, "hold me back, hold me back" pee-on move and Cookie confirmed for all, even his coach, that he is a punk.In reference to the no call(s). Yes, Henderson close lined Collins. They missed it... we move on. Jump ball... That is the call they have to make now. However, anytime, there is a player lying on the floor and another player simply jumps on the lying player-it is a foul. This was a point of emphasis last year. Now, obviously since there was a big pile, it was hard for the officials to catch Cookie in the act and call a foul on him. Further, they cannot go back and call a personal foul from the tape review. But... Where the official's could have taken control of that game, is by T'ing up Miller for his piling on and for his spectacle afterward. That would set the tone for both teams and let them know, "we (officials) are in control of this game and we are not putting up with chippy stuff that can/will lead to fights".

emjhawk04 10 years, 11 months ago

What was pathetic about Miller's actions was that after the play was over and his teammate had to restrain him, its as if Miller was so proud of what he did. I think to call him a "punk" was letting him off lightly. I just don't get what he was trying to prove...I mean was he trying to get the crowd involved, was he trying to get his team fired up...what was the point of acting like an idiot out there?

kansasYEA 10 years, 11 months ago

Cookie was acting like a punk- and what he did was "flagrantly done." There's no place for that type of behavior, even if you are trying to make a point. Doc Sadler is just making a big fool of himself. Defend your player only when they deserve it, otherwise, shut up.I think Cole played horrible- lately he seems really uncoordinated, slow and out of shape. I hope he gets back to how he was playing. The Morris twins are really disappointing. Maybe some minor improvements, but definitely not on the level one would hope.

DaSherriff 10 years, 11 months ago

Lets also not forget that the whole reason Cookie was being a "punk" wasn't just because he was yanking at the ball after the whistle. He was also shouting "Give me my ball, this is our house" at Mario and being a mouthy idiot. Sadler probably didn't get that part of the story from li'l Cookie. His 10 seconds of pumping the crowd up with his stomping around the floor following all of that just added to it also. Gottlieb better not apologize.

Joseph Kuebel 10 years, 11 months ago

Now I hate to stoop to low low level of the Nebraska sorry fan base (who obviously have no knowledge of the game of basketball or what a foul is (apparently their coach doesn't know what a foul is either). in response to cookie "midget" millers action's last night, as well as the classless nebraska fans chanting "aldrich, aldrich, aldrich" there is nothing i want kansas fans to do more than get a chant going whenever Cookie touches the ball than to say "midget, midget, midget, midget, midget, midget, midget, midget,midget, midget, midget, midget, midget,midget, midget, midget, midget, midget,midget, midget, midget, midget, midget,midget, midget, midget, midget, midget,midget, midget, midget, midget, midget,midget, midget, midget, midget, midget"That little beezy, i have never wanted to see a fight or a more classless play not called a technical in my life. please jayhawk student section i am begging you to begin this chant for that little cupcake midget miller!Next, I got a kick out of the following quote from nebraska_jayhawk "(anonymous) says...Up here in Nebraska people BARELY even know that NU even has a basketball team." Shows the intelligence of the Nebraska fanbase. First to even mention this, after their classless fans pack the stadium is extremely childish and laughable. Nice excuse for pretending not to care. This is case in point for your sore loser fans, sore loser team, and sore loser coach. I have never seen a bigger bunch of sour pusses in my life. After this game, and despite my hatred for Mizzou this game has put Nebraska fans at the top of the list for the most classless fans in the big xii North.The fact that Cookie "little midget beezy" did not receive a technical foul for his ridiculous play involving little was awful. KU was hacked again and again, and had several "charging fouls" that were not charges due to the baby guards on Nebraska not being able to set their feet.

ku_tailg8 10 years, 11 months ago

I don't think chanting "Aldrich, Aldrich" is classless. Its not like they were chanting it with something profane attached to it. Just part of basketball on the road. I think you are nitpicking a bit.

jaybate 10 years, 11 months ago

Trouble feeding the post?I've noted this repeatedly.Many have noted this repeatedly.Coach Self has noted this repeatedly.Now GBed notes it and the headline writer puts it in bold.What no one has mentioned is this: When was the last time you EVER heard this being an acute, persistent problem with a Division I basketball team?Frankly, I can't remember a team since one of my junior highschool editions that had a serious problem feeding the post for an entire season.I can't recall a single D1 team in my life time about which the first thing to come to mind is: "Gee, they can't feed the post very well."IMHO, feeding the post is a little like sex. To be great at it takes a lot of hard work, lots of repetition in undergraduate school, occassional three-a-nights, a really great older partner at some point, and finally a lot of caring about a beloved, contractually bound recipient for at least a few years. But just to be adequate? Well, that doesn't take much thought or work, at all.But we're not talking about a KU team being merely adequate. We're talking about a team that has trouble feeding the post at all.Back to the sexual analogy, when you actually CAN'T do it, well, then we're talking about some sort of dysfunction--the kind medical scientists and slightly strange sex psychologists like to research and make pronouncements on, often in Viennese accents.However, I don't really know how to approach post feeding dysfunction effectively. Did the late, great Pete Newell ever right a book for post feeders? I don't recall one.John Wooden? Well, John's a little too Indiana prudish to explore anything with dysfunction on the end of its name, so probably not.How about Ophrah and Dr. Phil Phallus Phace before they had their phalling out? They've covered about every dysfunction there is...except their own weird dynamic. Googling those two reveals nothing on Post Feeding Dysfunction, or what I now abbreviate henceforth as PFD.

jaybate 10 years, 11 months ago

Being male, inhibited, and some what intellectually challenged, I can only think in superficial analogies about PFD.Best guess?It is a little like ED--Erectile Dysfunction--linked to performance anxiety. Not saying I suffer from ED yet. Just saying I live in night sweat fear of its approach."All along the watchtower, princes kept the viewWhile all the women came and went, barefoot servants, too."Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl,Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl..."--Bob DylanOne of those two riders for me is ED. It is approaching. I know it is. Its out there in the distance, maybe only down the block now, maybe just out in the front yard.I've got this beautiful wife.What if I...(Editor's Note: Warning...TMI)I get the feeling Sherron and Tyshawn and Tyrel and Mario have started to think just a little too much about timing the pass perfectly into Cole and the Twins.They are, without putting to fine a point on it, worried about passing too early, or too late. They are, as many young men are, preoccupied with the quixotic "just right."I think they've developed a little performance anxiety and that's tripping some PFD.

jaybate 10 years, 11 months ago

I think Cole, sintered beak and all, is such a big, experienced target, who knows what to do with the ball when he gets it, that post feeding is just a little overwhelming to these young, post-chaste perimeter Jayhawks.Boys, Sherron, Tyshawn, Tyrel, Mario, its time to go out behind the barn with Brady and light up some cigarettes, when no one is looking, and get Brady to show you the grainy, black and white post feeding pictures in the old book Brady obviously found tucked away in his father Roger's study. Roger Morningstar could, once upon a time, feed the post and he apparently found a little book with a lot of "medically appropriate" pictures of how to do this sort of thing. He obviously forgot about the book and Brady found it. The book is probably tattered around the edges and the pages are probably yellowed with age. Get Brady to share it with you and while you look at it, talk in some coarse language about what you see and have a good laugh about how ridiculous it looks. Look at each other and say, "No way, our dads didn't do THAT, did they? Impossible. They WOULDN'T feed the post THAT WAY!!!! Oh, my god!!!!"Then go out and fuhgedddaboutit.You will feed the post.And Cole will finish, broken beak and all.And the Twins will surprise you and begin to look mature and experienced and, finally, Coach Self will nod and smile and say, "That's more like it, guys."

kufankam 10 years, 11 months ago

drgnslyr-I must not have communicated clearly. I was not referring to a "lose ball" that two players were going after. In the case we are discussing, it was not a lose ball-Mario Little and Ryan Anderson possessed the ball. What I was referring to is when a player not on the floor dives "on top of" a player already on the ground-which is what happened here. This has been for the past two season's a point of emphasis. Reason being-the player on the ground, while in a vulnerable position, still must be protected. I wasn't really stating that "scrappy" play or hustling should be eliminated. Rather, when a player is lying on the ground, other players are not allowed to just have their way with them. Further, the player has no business doing what Cookie did well after play had been blown dead.

KGphoto 10 years, 11 months ago

You're on your own jaybate.I just hope the team doesn't read that. They may never be the same. I'd hate to think this really cool season might be blighted by sexual confusion. WTF?

truefan 10 years, 11 months ago

Hahaha, Gottlieb will apologize to Cookie Miller as soon as Cookie apologizes to Mario Little for acting like a punk.

Kit Duncan 10 years, 11 months ago

Before Cookie "punked" Mario, Mario was "mugged" and the refs didn't call it. All game long there was a lot of contact by Nebraska players that went uncalled, and some phantom calls made on the 'Hawks.I wouldn't go so far as to say the refs were favoring Nebraska but they sure went out of their way to avoid the illusion of favoring Kansas. Regarding the KU big men, I think the Huskers may actually have done KU a favor by showing their difficulty handling a small team. The Morris twins are not able to stay with quicker guards, and Cole is left hanging out to dry if he goes to the top of the key to guard his man, leaving the basket open to one of the twins' opponents.Lastly, as I've said before (in previous seasons) KU has a bullseye on them whenever they go into other schools' arenas. Kansas' players have to realize they will get the other teams' "A" game nearly every time they play. In that light it is unrealistic to think the Jayhawks will always play their best, but with their talent and ability to find the hot hand they should be able to beat lesser teams and hopefully bring their own "A" game against the OU's, Texas's, Baylor's et al.Way to hang tough "Hawks!! Hang a big one on CU!!!

100 10 years, 11 months ago

Trouble feeding the post? Next year's 2010 starting national champion lineup will have no problem with this issue:AldrichWitheyLittleCollinsTaylor (or Wall)It will be an alleyoop dunk every possession. If they contain that, our sharp shooting guards are left open for 12 footers. Next year will be a blast because we will feed the post, nearly at will.

Joe Templeton 10 years, 11 months ago

"Recruiting: Josh Smith, the No. 1 ranked junior in the country, has KU on his early list of schools, Rivals.com reports. Smith, 6-10, 270 from Kentwood High School in Covington, Wash., is also looking at Arizona, California, UConn, Duke, Georgetown, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisville, North Carolina, Oregon, Oregon State, USC, Stanford, Texas, Tennessee and others."And Others? I think he darn near named every single D1 team

actorman 10 years, 11 months ago

"Gottlieb's one of the best in the business. I wish we had him for more games."Hear, hear! For the distinct minority who are bitching about Gottlieb, I ask you: would you rather have someone like Vitale? Or one of the dime-a-dozen "two possession" game crowd? I LOVE that Gottlieb doesn't hesitate to say what he thinks, and when someone needs to be called out, DG calls him out. I also find him entertaining. He might sometimes be arrogant, but so what? Informative and entertaining more than makes up for it--not to mention that he has always talked up KU more than just about anyone else."Put yourself in his criss-crossed Oompa Loompa suspenders for a moment."Classic!!! Had me practically falling out of my seat laughing.