Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Ex-KU coordinator Young headed to Oklahoma State

Kansas defensive coordinator Bill Young speaks with media members during a press conference in this Dec. 30, 2007, file photo. Young was hired as the Oklahoma State Cowboys' defensive coordinator on Tuesday.

Oklahoma State football coach Mike Gundy announced the hiring of former Kansas University defensive coordinator Bill Young as the Cowboys' defensive coordinator on Tuesday.

Young, who held his position at KU from 2002-2007, spent last season as defensive coordinator for Miami (Fla.).

"We're extremely excited to have the opportunity to work with coach Gundy and his staff at Oklahoma State," Young said. "It means a lot to me to come back to OSU because I am a graduate, I played there and now we are back as part of the Cowboy family. My wife and I are very excited to get back to Stillwater and Oklahoma State."

Young was a Cowboy linebacker and defensive end from 1965-1967 and was an academic all-Big Eight selection as a player. After earning a bachelor's degree in education at OSU and a master's degree in secondary education at Central Oklahoma, he spent six years in the Oklahoma high school ranks at Carl Albert and Putnam City West.

Young's collegiate coaching stops have included OSU, where he coached the offensive and defensive lines from 1976 through 1978. He also spent a year at Iowa State before joining the staff at Tulsa, where he coached from 1980-84, serving as defensive coordinator from 1983-84.

Young spent three years coaching the defensive line at Arizona State before three straight stints as a defensive coordinator (Ohio State, Oklahoma and Southern California). After a season as the defensive line coach of the Detroit Lions, Young returned to college and spent 2002 through 2007 as the defensive coordinator at Kansas.

Young's final defensive unit at Kansas was No. 12 nationally in total defense and fourth in scoring defense.

Kansas will not face Oklahoma State next season. The Jayhawks won't face the Cowboys until the 2010 season in Lawrence.

Comments

Cody Stumma 10 years, 5 months ago

Traitor! He went to the Big 12 South!?Just what we need... the South teams to be even better...

lance1jhawk 10 years, 5 months ago

Damn $700,000.00 of T Boner Pickers money goes along way in Stillwater. I wish he would have stayed here, or in Miami, but I guess he really wanted to return to his roots.

Jaminrawk 10 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, that whole Miami thing didn't really work out so well. Note to all current KU coordinators: KU is closing the gap.

Kevin Millikan 10 years, 5 months ago

...trying to make a livin' and doing the best he can....

Omari Miller 10 years, 5 months ago

I too was disappointed to hear that he left KU to go to Miami, only to jump to Okie State after a year. But I can't really begrudge the man his choice to go back to his alma mater. In the end, it's just another motivation for the 'Hawks to stomp a B12 team.

Hawkish4bigM 10 years, 5 months ago

I agree Omar, the man is going to his alma mater. Can't fault him for that. I am sure he is regretting that he ever left Kansas and will have more regrets next season.

mbmerriman 10 years, 5 months ago

its good to have former coaches moving up in the ranks because how often do you see coaches go back to places they used to coach. What if Mangino were to unexpectitly retire? or get fired of whatever? atleast there is an up and coming coach who used to coach at Kansas

Jim Baker 10 years, 5 months ago

More excited about Bill Miller coming here to be Co-DC/LB Coach than disappointed with Bill Young to go to OSU. Upgrade for the defense next year! Rock Chalk!!

sdoyel 10 years, 5 months ago

Looking back, I bet he wishes he stayed at KU. Miami clearly didn't work out.... Their D wasn't all that impressive. They gave up a lot of points as the season went on.

Dirk Medema 10 years, 5 months ago

I thought the word was he was going to Miami to retire. I'm not so sure he is that significant for OSU. I think our fall from last years has a lot more to do with J-Mac & Talib leaving, plus Mortenson & Riviera recovering/being hurt. I'm excited with the way the D finished the season, and the continued improvement of incoming personnel.mbmerriman - who are you referring to as "up and coming", "moving up the coaching ladder? Surely not BY. There is no particular progression in his positions, and he left talking about retiring. He's not Paterno in many ways. It would be interesting to really know why he left Arizona State, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Southern California, Miami and Detroit. Except for Detroit, any of those would be destination jobs as an assistant/DC, and there is no indication he is making the jump to HC.Lance - The price tag was mistakenly listed initially at $700k, when it is actually more like $313k.

FlaHawk 10 years, 5 months ago

Bill Young was something of a disaster for Miami. They had a young (pardon the pun) offense and a more season defense. They needed the defense to stay in games. As the season progressed, the defense sort ofcollapsed. They still made it to a bowl game, but the HC had to shake things up.Young is to old to make it to HC. He went for the moeny and security at OSU. Can not blame the man at all.

bradh 10 years, 5 months ago

Good for Bill. He did a great job for us and hopefully taught Bowen all his tricks. I hope he makes OSU good enough to dash Texas and Oklahoma's hopes. Let the South beat itself up. Can't complain about someone going back to their alma mater the first time it's offered.

GridironHawk 10 years, 5 months ago

I agree it is hard to fault someone going back home to coach. However, if Mangino leaves Kansas to coach Penn State when Joe Paterno finally retires, I might change my feelings on that opinion :)

John Brown 10 years, 5 months ago

To anyone who has not been to Miami, it is a bad city to visit and must be worse to live in. South Miami beach is the worst beach in Florida. I thought it was a bad place when Young left KU. His family must have put the screws to him to return to the Mid-west where people have values and educational systems are worth while.

barackchalkjhawk 10 years, 5 months ago

He wanted to coach at his alma mater and they came calling...good for him. Doesn't look the South Beach, or the "moving to Florida to die" type anyway. Good luck Bill.

Hawkish4bigM 10 years, 5 months ago

Wow, I never thought about Coach M and Penn State. He would do tremendous things there. Again, I could not fault him for that if they come knocking some day. He would certainly make us pround, although he would make us prouder if he stays at KU for many years to come. I think and hope that Coach M is our Bill Snyder, loyal to the core to the school that elevated him to a head coach in Division I. Not everyone gets that chance so, yeah, there should be some kind of loyalty.On Young, I like the comment about the South Division beating up on one another. Baylor is going to start being the spoiler too in the next several years.

TKELuke 10 years, 5 months ago

Nooooooooooooooooooo!!! I hate it when KU coaches go to other Big XII schools.

NH_JHawk 10 years, 5 months ago

So I guess that Bowen and Young won't be doing much conversing next season as they apparently did last year.

jhokfan 10 years, 5 months ago

Bill is quite the nomad. He has not reached Larry Brown stature but he sure moves around a lot. Don't be surprised if he's left Stillwater by the time we play the Cowboys.

Ben Kane 10 years, 5 months ago

Was he fired from Miami or did he just leave?As to the south miami beach comment...Whatever! You clearly are clueless!

Dirk Medema 10 years, 5 months ago

Isn't UofM in Coral Gables, and one of the beautiful, academically significant schools? Obviously, it hasn't always been reflected in some of their athletics.The real question is why are we still looking at the face of someone that hasn't been at KU for a year? Why is the assistant coach for another school getting face time here over our own new assistant coaches?

jkanev 10 years, 5 months ago

At least we didn't lose our other Bill to the Pokes!

Dirk Medema 10 years, 5 months ago

KCStar has news of a new commitment from Rivals **** safety, but here are the LJW we continue to look at the tired old face of the OSU DC. He's gone. Let's move on.Rock Chalk