Sunday, January 18, 2009

Kansas basketball notebook

Audio clips

2009 KU-CU Jan. 17

D.J. the Cavalier

Former Kansas University power forward Darnell Jackson, who attended Saturday’s game, has averaged 7.9 minutes per game in 17 games his rookie season with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Jackson has made 11 of 27 shots for 40.7 percent. He has made three of seven free throws and has 27 rebounds.

“I’m not playing that much. Whenever they put me in, they put me in,” Jackson said.

He smiled and said “nah” when asked if he ever was upset with his minutes.

“You can’t be mad about not playing every game because you are still getting paid for it,” Jackson said.

The ever-emotional Jackson may have needed the hugs he received from former teammates and coaches Saturday in Boulder.

“I’m missing being around these guys, joking and playing around,” said Jackson, who informed Cole Aldrich and former teammate and current staff member Jeremy Case he was coming to the game.

“Hopefully, one day I can get back to Lawrence, sit in the fieldhouse and get to experience that again,” Jackson said.

KU coach Bill Self learned Saturday morning Jackson would fly in from Cleveland for the game.

“I thought, ‘Why would he come?’’’ Self said, wondering if the Cavs had a game in Denver, which was not the case. “I guess he got permission to come. He wanted to come to our Michigan State game last week, but weather got him stuck in Cleveland. It was great to see him.”

Reed excels after half

KU sophomore guard Tyrel Reed missed two shots — both threes — and didn’t score in an 11-minute first-half stint.

He went 4-for-4, including 3-for-3 from three in 10 minutes the second half, his 11 points sparking KU in its 73-56 victory.

His 11 points came in the final 11 minutes.

“I’m called on to shoot when open. It’s my role on the team. I hit some shots. Guys found me when I was open. That was that. Nothing too spectacular,” Reed said.

Of Colorado’s effective 1-3-1 and 2-3 zone defenses, Reed said: “They did a great job of contesting shots and flying out at people. We can’t turn it over like that (18 times). We are fortunate we came out on top.”

Reed tweaked an ankle late in the game. “I stepped on somebody’s shoe. I’ll be fine,” he said.

Chipped tooth

Aldrich revealed after the game he chipped one of his front teeth in Tuesday’s victory over Kansas State.

“I got an elbow. It’s this one right here,” he said, pointing to a front tooth. “It happens. That’s what happens when you play sports. You get a little nicked up.”

The chip might have been worse had he not been wearing his mouthpiece.

Aldrich on Colorado

“They proved they can play today,” Aldrich said. “Their zone was a little confusing. They did a good job with it.”

On the pro-KU crowd: “Matt (Kleinmann) ... it’s his fifth year. He said that’s probably been the most (KU fans) he’s seen here. It’s great to see those people. They can’t quite get into the fieldhouse. There’s a lot of western Kansas farmers, diehard Jayhawk fans. They get the opportunity to come here and watch us. We appreciate it.”

On KU’s 1-2 road record: “A lot of people are saying we can’t win on the road. This is one little steppingstone we can take and continue throughout the conference.”

Turg coming to town

KU will meet Texas A&M; at 8 p.m. Monday in Allen Fieldhouse. It’ll be the return of former KU point guard Mark Turgeon, the second-year Aggies’ coach. KU beat Turgeon’s Aggies twice last season — once in College Station, Texas, and once at the Big 12 tournament in Kansas City, Mo.

Stats, facts

KU has won 12 in a row over CU and has a 116-39 series advantage, including a 38-26 mark in Boulder. ... KU is 1-2 on the road this season. ... KU scored 25 points off 18 turnovers, the most since the team tallied 26 points against Jackson State (Dec. 6). ... KU hit a season-best 61.4 percent of its shots. CU hit 37.2. ... KU hit nine of 17 threes for a season-best 52.9 percent mark. ... Sherron Collins is 17 points shy of 1,000. ... Collins has made 16 straight free throws. ... Brady Morningstar had a career-best eight rebounds, passing his former personal high of seven against Coppin State. ... Mario Little made his second straight start.

Comments

Lance Hobson 11 years ago

I'm thinking the A&M game would be an ideal time for Little to have his coming out party.

Nutflush21 11 years ago

Define coming out party? Little is decent player but hes not an All Big 12 talent. He wasnt ranked in the Rivals top 150 coming out of high school and he was a 3 star recruit last year. I realize hes been injured and he is still probably 2 weeks away from being up to speed but still... He is a servicable wing but thats about it.

kvskubball 11 years ago

Nutflush...you say... ..."Little is decent player but hes not an All Big 12 talent"....How do you know he isn't? He's played two games, hasn't learned the offense really well. He seems to be able to hit the mid-range shot that noone else seems to remember exists...He brings energy...He has said he still has to think about where he needs to be on the floor, which means he isn't in flow, yet...I say let's watch him for another 3-5 games and then evaluate him (If he's healthy). He's been playing the 4 instead of his natural college position of the 3. He was the #1 rated JUCO last year.

jayhawkinATL 11 years ago

...and I believe he was selected as pre-season Newcomer of the Year.

Nutflush21 11 years ago

I watched him play this summer multiple times and came away unimpressed. I realize he was the #1 juco kid but look at that list and let me know if you see any impact players. He is a servicable wing at best and not an elite talent.

Blake Brown 11 years ago

Well, well. I posted a few weeks ago concern over whether we can win a conference road game or not. The answer is "Yes! we can". Now for road games against Iowa State and Nebraska, then Mizzou and on. First things first. Texas A&M tomorrow. This a key spot in our conference with the first few games ones we should win. It gets tougher in February.Mario was a no show and Travis is a liability. Whatever happened to Releford? I did not see him in H.S., but he is nowhere near a contributer to the first 8 as he was billed to be. We need to improve every game and move forward. That includes Mario and Travis.Go Hawks!

LAJayhawk 11 years ago

Zone defenses tend to give the guards better looks from the outside. Cheers to Reed for knocking them down.61.4% from the floor (compared to 37.2 for CU). The reason we only won by 17 is due almost entirely to the 18 turnovers. Shooting that well, we should have won by 30.First road win, though. I'll certainly take it.

Dan Pawlowski 11 years ago

Little Nay Sayer's. Regardless of you expert opinions...He still has turds more athletic than you.."

Nutflush21 11 years ago

I wasnt claiming to be an expert, its just my humble opinion which is exactly what the comment section is for. And no kidding he has more athleticism than me he is a freaking D1 basketball player. What is your point? Is it if your not as good of an athlete as someone than you shouldnt comment on them? If thats the case all of ESPN and the entire KUsports.com staff need to be fired.

milehighhawk 11 years ago

I almost wish Little would have redshirted, because I still don't think anyone has seen him at full strength.He's shown flashes of being good, and he doesn't get flustered, but it seems the pace of the game is a bit too much for him, and he lacks confidence - either in his leg or himself, or both right now...within the next 4-5 games, I think he'll step it up and bust out with maybe 15 or so.

hometownhawk 11 years ago

I think maybe the point is don't judge a guy when he's played like 30 total minutes, and none 100% healthy. You don't know what he can contribute to KU basketball, so don't act like you do, even on a comments section.

James Scott 11 years ago

NutFlush- all JUCO players are rated at 3* regardless of talent.

Jeremy LeMaster 11 years ago

BoulderHawk... he has turds more athletic ability than we do? I agree he has tons more... but turds? That must be something!Little will be valuable to this team... but I haven't really heard why he wasn't in the game on Saturday. I started watching just a couple minutes in but never really saw him on the court. Am I blind?

Nutflush21 11 years ago

hometownhawk- Your name is very fitting because like most KU fans you wear thick rose colored glasses. Take them off once in a while and live in a realistic world. Ive seen Little play multiple times outside of his few minutes of action this season. I dont think he is more than a serviceable wing player. He can provide some energy and knock down a few shots but he will not be an all conference player. He will be a rich mans Roderick Stewart at best.If you dont like my opinion I dont care. Im just willing to call things like I see them and Im not gonna gush over all things KU like most will.

Dan Pawlowski 11 years ago

NutFlush,Yes that is my point. At least ESPN has quite a few former athletes, professional or D1 college that have been there. In the words of my Grandmother, " Do not criticize unless you can do better"

hometownhawk 11 years ago

Man, I'm struck to my core that you know me so completely, Nutflush. Right down to the color of my glasses. All I'm saying is that people with more expertise than even you rated him the #1 Juco in the country last year, he led us in scoring in Canada, and he has yet to be healthy. For you to belittle KU fans over even the possibility that he could be a scoring option to take some heat off Cole and Sherron is stupid. Sorry for having a bit of optimism, didn't mean to offend. Oh and another person that has repeatedly disagreed with you is a guy named Bill Self. How many times has he said that we need Little this year, that he brings some things we badly need -- maturity, another scoring threat, rebounding, etc. I'm sorry that somebody pissed in your Cheerio's, but don't take it out on the rest of us.

Nutflush21 11 years ago

I never said we didnt need Little. Clearly we do. He has size and athleticism which is exactly what Brady doesnt have. I look forward to seeing him play the 3 at some point. By the way, Travis Releford, not Mario Little, lead the team in scoring in Canada.

hometownhawk 11 years ago

I suppose 15 points in 14 minutes on 100% shooting is serviceable. It'll have to do.