Friday, January 16, 2009

Little might start again against Colorado

Kansas forward Mario Little smiles on the bench with teammate Brady Morningstar, center, during the second half Tuesday, Jan. 13, 2009 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University junior Mario Little — who on Tuesday morning decided he was healthy enough to play second semester — started Tuesday night’s game against Kansas State.

Considering Little played well in his first start at KU — and the man he replaced (Markieff Morris) had a productive night off the bench — it’s possible the Jayhawks may open the same way on Saturday at Colorado.

“With Mario it was kind of rolling the dice because he hasn’t been out there, but I think it turned out to be a good thing for us he did start because it kept Markieff from getting two fouls in the first four minutes,” KU coach Bill Self said Thursday.

“When he (Morris) gets two fouls in the first four minutes and you have to rest Cole (Aldrich), you can’t put ’Kieff in, so you are playing small,” Self added. “I’m not saying we’re going to go that way. I’ll see how practice goes, but I’d anticipate it being similar.”

The 6-foot-5, 210-pound Little scored eight points and grabbed three rebounds in 13 minutes in KU’s 87-71 victory over the Wildcats. Morris had five points and five boards with four fouls in 23 minutes.

Morris, who had started the previous six games at power forward, said starting or relieving suited him fine.

Juco transfer Little also showed no emotion when asked about the matter.

“I don’t know,” he said, asked if he’d open the CU game. “I like to start. I (also) know it’ll take time for me to get some reps for me to know what I’m doing.”

KU (12-4) has used five starting lineups this season.

“Basically starting doesn’t really matter to me. What matters is who finishes,” said forward Marcus Morris, who has started six games. “If I don’t start, I don’t really care. I just want to play. I want to be on the team, contribute to the team.”

Nor does it matter much to KU coach Self.

“I don’t think it makes one bit of difference,” said Self, who has used four regular starters in Tyshawn Taylor, Sherron Collins, Brady Morningstar and Cole Aldrich, the fifth slot the one up for grabs.

“If it affects guys’ attitudes and they really think it’s good for them to start, if that motivates them, then obviously there are some things they can do to get that back. If it deflates them, you probably are not going to win with them anyway,” Self added.

Self is amused at the attention starting lineups have garnered in his six years at KU.

“This is one thing about being at Kansas ... that’s news,” he said of starting. “The Big 10 Player of the Year at Illinois, Frank Williams, I didn’t start him five or six times. It was never talked about. (Media would ask), ‘Why didn’t you start him?’ ‘Didn’t want to.’ End of discussion,” Self added. “Here it’s news.”

Junior Sherron Collins said KU’s players don’t discuss the issue.

“Our locker room is great. Everybody’s attitude is great, having fun. We don’t talk about it,” he said. “I guess for some of the young guys, if things don’t go their way, it motivates them to play harder. I was never one to care about it last year.”

That’s when KU had Mario Chalmers and Russell Robinson on board.

What about this year?

“Right now I would care,” Collins added with a laugh, aware that when healthy, he’s now a fixture his junior year.

lWhat a relief: Little said he remains relieved he decided to play, and not red-shirt, this season.

“I feel more natural. Once I told coach, it was over after that,” he said.

He said he’s stepped it up at practice.

“I’ve been doing way more than I had been doing,” said Little, who has been slowed by a stress fracture in his lower left leg. “The pain is not something I can’t bear.”

lRoad warriors: KU, 0-2 in true road games and 1-2 at K.C.’s Sprint Center, will play three of its next four games outside of Allen Fieldhouse: 2:30 p.m., Saturday at Colorado, Monday at home versus Texas A&M; Jan. 24 at Iowa State; Jan. 28 at Nebraska.

“Three weeks from now we’ll say the next stretch is most crucial and after that the next stretch is most crucial. (But) this is a crucial stretch, no question,” Self said. “We need to learn to win away from home.”

lRecruiting: Self was in Springfield, Mo., on Thursday night recruiting John Wall, a 6-foot-4 senior guard from Word of God Christian Academy in Raleigh, N.C. Wall is considering KU, Baylor, Duke, Memphis, North Carolina State, Miami and Oregon.

Comments

JayhawkPhil64 11 years ago

It is obvious to me why Mario Little is starting. Self is disappointed in the Morris Twins. Hopefully they can get their act together. We need another tall guy in there. My predicution is that either one or both of the twins will improve and become a star next year or both will be gone before the season starts.

frompekka2sasha 11 years ago

“It doesn’t really matter to me. If coach chooses not to start me I wouldn’t be mad. I just have to help the team whenever I get in the game,” the 6-foot-9 Morris said. “I didn’t have too good a practice last week. I guess coach starts who he thinks plays well in practice.”I would like to offer praise to Morris regarding to start or not to start. They are performing okay for freshman but It sounds like one of them has a pretty darn good attitude especially when you consider the prima-donna behavior of some prep players. I know that Morningstar is a bad seed :-)

nebraska_jayhawk 11 years ago

I agree with having Little start because the way we started the k-suck game was unbelievable. It also gives KU a different look and a different dynamic which they need.

11 years ago

I haven't been able to keep up with all of the articles or comments in the last couple of months, so someone has probably already mentioned this. It seems like the Morris twins have an attitude problem on the court. There are times when it looks like either one could come unhinged and take a swing at an opposing player. I enjoy that they are competitive, but they go a little overboard every now and then. Perhaps it is just part of growing up for them, but I hope they can do so sooner rather than later. We could really use them at the top of their game.

Steve Hill 11 years ago

It doesn't matter who starts, see who is in the game at end when it's winning time. That's who Coach Self trusts the most.

sdoyel 11 years ago

Clearly Marcus is the better of the Twins. WHY is Kieff starting over him right now? Is Self trying to get his 5 fouls out of the way?

KUFan90 11 years ago

I disagree sdoyel. Marcus has his moments, but other than the fouls I think 'Kieff "gets it" a little more. Obviously Self agrees as evidenced by his recent string of starts. Bringing him off the bench behind Little reminds me of what we did previously with D. Arthur when he had similar issues. I like the plan.

jaybate 11 years ago

Oh my gosh, something is happening as I forecasted for once.Little is taking his minutes from Marcus and Self is going small at the 4!Kieff is starting for the same reason that sometimes Kaun started. You use the lesser player to buy the starter who can be foul prone 5 minutes or so early and so you can see what the opponent is giving you before you send your haymaker in.

Matt Kenton 11 years ago

We have got to start treating Marcus and Markieff as two separate people. I could be wrong (I'm including myself in the "we"), but it seems like it is usally Markieff that has the bad attitude or makes the bonehead plays, or could come unhinged as the above poster mentioned. Imagine we only had Marcus Morris. Would there be any complaints?

Matt Kenton 11 years ago

I didn't refresh the page before I started typing. By above poster, I meant txrockchalk.

ChicagoJHawk 11 years ago

I really hope we get John Wall too. I think it's awesome that he's from North Carolina & doesn't even have UNC on his list of schools!

11 years ago

Good point, KUMatt2001. I will try to pay closer attention to see if it is just Markieff who needs an attitude adjustment.

nebraska_jayhawk 11 years ago

I think Little is starting because he is smarter on the court, knows how the college game works, what it takes to win and the athletic ability and attitude in order to succeed.

100 11 years ago

Jaybate, you were right in your prediction. But don't forget what Self said two days ago. He said he's playing Little at the four but he's not a four, he's a three. Again, I know we've been up and down this issue the last week, but it takes awhile to paint a Chapel. Self is using him to plug gaps right now in anticipation of him having him at the three next year. As you pointed out yesterday, Self does a good job of rotatating lineup even when the team is great (like last year).In short, the dominance of each player at their position next year will make it hard to go away from the starting five. This will be more like the '97 team, except with a MUCH better bench.Starting 5: Aldrich, Withey, Little, Collins, TaylorAs you seem to think Collins and Aldrich would go NBA after this year, the truth is: they want to win 2 in 3 years. There is nothing better than winning it and they know it. They know what's at stake, and they talk to Manning everyday. His advice is so true -- no NBA experience beats enjoying your time Naismith Court. In fact, I think Manning would share this, if pushed -- the NBA is (mostly) pretty lame. The day to day life is not that enjoyable. Lots of money, but I think Manning would tell you, Collins and Aldrich would make much (much) more in their first couple years if they win a championship next year and play like beasts.Next year's team is going to be so good they'll be on Sportscenter every couple nights. NBA teams won't have what we'll have!So that's why Little is being used this way now -- get him some PT before next year's run begins, even if it's at the three.After all, Brady Teen Wolf (x5) will be ready to come in if Little needs to sit on the bench and have a banana or a pizza.

dcmander 11 years ago

100...you are absolutely nuts if you think Sherron is staying after this year. I would say there is a 85% chance Cole goes as well.

dcmander 11 years ago

The starting lineup next year will most likely be: Elijah Johnson, Tyshawn Taylor, Mario Little, Marcus Morris (Jeff Withey 2nd semester), Markieff Morris .We will be very, very small until Withey is available.

jasonsgill 11 years ago

I still believe that Little is at the 3 by the end of THIS year. I am alone, it seems, in believing that the twins have an enormous amount of potential and they have moved from linear to exponential growth over the course of the last 4-5 games. They are tailor made for the high low game, with exceptional passing skills and the range to hit midrange and long jumpers. I know, I know, they haven't done it yet, but it's all about confidence. The same people who were on here, certain, shouting down Little's potential, have done a 180 after seeing him nail 3 mid-range jumpers. If so fickle, then doubts about judgment are inevitable; and I will. But, we have what we need, what we need just isn't quite ready yet.

100 11 years ago

Dcmander: you have about as negative outlook as anyone i've ever met. The players play for the love of the game. If Collins stays, it's because he listened to wisdom. Perhaps he's smarter than you think. The money will always be there for him. I think he's smart enough to enjoy the KU experience for one more NCAA crown. Afterall, that's what Manning did. That's what Rush did (accidentally of course). That's what Arthur did. That's what Chalmers did. That's what Kaun did. I guarantee you one thing -- they all know how truly lame, on a day to day basis, the NBA is. Collins just might make a decision that surprises you -- he's wiser than you think.

dcmander 11 years ago

I also agree that the twins will become a lot better. If Cole leaves next year they will both probably start (before Withey is available) and average double figures.

dcmander 11 years ago

Dude...you are so out of it. Chalmers, Arthur, and Rush DID NOT come back. None of them were lottery picks the year before (Rush might have been but he got injured anyway). If they all felt like you they would be back this year because they all had a year of eligibility left. They didn't. They left.It's not being negative...it is being realistic. We have plenty of players to fill their shoes. I do admit we will be a very small team with Cole gone until Withey is available, but the twins should be pretty dominant next year and EJ will start out of the gate with Tyshawn and Little. We'll have a very deep bench as well with Morningstar, Releford, QT, and Reid. I don't think Thomas Robinson will play as much as people think his first year..will probably be a similar thing to QT this year.

100 11 years ago

DC: are you crazy? Have you seen Aldrich's room? It is completely Jayhawk. Of course he'd be a first round pick if he goes early. Is that what's really important to him? The NBA is so lame day to day, and the money is there for him (and a degree). I just don't think you get it. Even Teen Wolf could figure this out.

keith horinek 11 years ago

Didn't collins already say he was coming back? Maybe I missed something hereor there but I was under the impression Collins and Aldridge were both coming back?

dcmander 11 years ago

Julian said that too...I'm not being negative guys, lol. Just don't give your hopes up. I don't like seeing fans brag about how good our starting lineup will be next year when 2/5 of it could easily be gone. I'm not going to argue anymore.. let's just enjoy the season and we'll see at the end.

jasonsgill 11 years ago

My guess is that Cole stays and Sherron leaves. Why?Well, Sherron will not have the opportunity to have so much control over the offense next year, and therefore his production will, almost inevitably, go down. I mean with all the talent we have this year aged by 1, this offense will have far more options. In fact, I think to a certain extent Self is pushing Sherron to get hype and go high in the draft.Cole, on the other hand, like Julian Wright, will be a lottery pick now and forever based solely on his size and raw talent. I think that he will also improve an incredible amount over the next year, and would almost certainly be a pre-season all America next year. Just my guess...

100 11 years ago

DC: As for Chalmers, Rush etc, of course that was a stretch.You are a genious to figure that out. It's people like you that make the world suck. You're not a realist, you are negative. Aldrich is a good kid. You are pushing him towards greed and lameness so your Moriss twins can start. You ever wonder "why"NBA players are payed so much? You are a slave. There's very little "real" appreciation. The fans are not knowledgable. They're kind of like you. Negative greedy non-basketball educated screamers.With the exception of a couple franchises, the only a few thousand per game at most arenas. Only fans who flock you are big city slugs who didn't get enough attention as kids.

caddie733 11 years ago

If Sherron were to go, he will not be a first round pick. No one in their right mind will draft a 5'10" "point guard" who turns the ball over as much as Collins does. We all know he can score, but he is a liability as a ball-handler at the NBA level. Cole could go, if he wants to ride the bench for the next 2 to 3 years in the NBA. He will be drafted on upside potential, however, his offensive skills are far from NBA ready. He can hit the occasional 15 to 18 foot jumper, and shoots free throws well, but he doesn't have the low post moves to play at the next level just yet. Also, his body is way too thin for the next level. Cole would gain everything by staying. A bigger body, more coaching from Danny, a chance to be the star big man on a much better KU team. Maybe I am just finding reasons for both to stay, but I agree with 100...Cole and Sherron will not have as great of a time in the NBA if they leave after this year.

dcmander 11 years ago

100... Don't act like you know me or my opinions on should happen in regards to NCAA athletes and the NBA. I believe that if you commit to a college, you should stay there for a minimum of 3 years. That is my personal opinion. I'm simply giving my opinion on what I think WILL happen with the current regulations and trend of the last few years and players declaring for the NBA draft.You really think I would rather have the Morris twins start over a pre-season All-America Cole in 2010? Again, you are insane. I would love to have Cole back...I hope he comes back. If he does, we could possibly make the final four. I don't even like the twins right now..but I know they will be good next year just like every other highly recruited sophomore. I'm also impressed already with how well they play together, and that will only improve next year.I think you need to get off this board... you are getting really upset and this is supposed to be a place where fans discuss their opinions. Let's talk KU and basketball. Keep the personal attacks to yourself.

100 11 years ago

DC: you speak for yourself. You are a negative person. And sadly, that's what grabs kids who should stay in college into the NBA. The smile and talk "real". You want "real", DC? Talk to Danny. Sherron and Cole won't go hungry while they wait a few extra months to win a championship and get a higher draft pick.The reality is you are living a dream. Cole and Sherron should stay. Will they? I don't know. I just hope they're smart enough to not listen to greedy souls like you.

Rock_Chalk_Jayhawk_KU 11 years ago

100, I have to reply to the comment that you put when defending the reason you feel Cole with return. "DC: are you crazy? Have you seen Aldrich's room? It is completely Jayhawk"While I cant decide if i believe he will be back or leave, how many lil Jayhawks he has in his room has no impact on if he will return or not. I played a sport in college and had my teams logo and color all over my house. If i knew i would be a loto pick and a millionaire if i left, it would be TEMPTING to pack up those posessions and head to the NBA. I read an articles a few years ago in the KC star with J Wright at the bowling alley. He said how he loves KU and cant wait to be back the next yr....well we all know what happened next with him.

100 11 years ago

Take a look at the cover of a mid April Sports Illustrated...You see who is peeking around the goal to see if Mario's shot goes in?Case closed. Go get an interview with him and ask him three questions:1. Do you wish you stayed at KU to enjoy a championship and enjoy the best friends and extended 80,000 person "family" you'll ever have?2. Is getting all this money a year or two early worth not having a degree?3. Did you, due to greed, miss out on "the best year of your life?"

dcmander 11 years ago

We're not talking about if they should stay....we're talking about if they will. Sherron = 95% gone. Cole = 75% gone IMO. I wish Cole would stay. I wish Sherron would stay so he could get his degree..but talking about basketball only this would be a confused team with Sherron on it next year.100 you are still a delusional and strange guy/girl. =)

JayhawkPhil64 11 years ago

I have to stand up for dcmander here. 100, you are incredably naive to the point of irelivance. Time to get off this arguement.

Trey Hohman 11 years ago

Being a Mario Little Fan, (so far at least) kinda' feels like I met a great girl, and because we had the best sex any couple has ever had, I married her. But then she had a religious awakening and has since refused anything but the most basic, lights-off sex. We pretend to enjoy this joyless ritual, but what I really want is grounds for a divorce she'll never provide.. -- I am not saying any of this is actually Mario's fault or that he won't ever be a great talent on the court, but I only hope my wife starts letting me pull out the lube, porno, whips & chains again come February...(Most dangerous 6 seed ever, besides KU '88...?!)

nebraska_jayhawk 11 years ago

100- Why in the WORLD would you start BOTH Withy and Aldrich?

tominkc 11 years ago

First off, I hope both Cole and Collins come back. But you have to go to the draft when your draft stock is as high as it will go. That's why I think Cole comes back and Collins probably leaves. After refining his game and maturing physically, I think Cole is a beast if he comes out in another year, hopefully two. He's got too much progress left that can be made. With Collins, it's hard to see how he or his game would change if he stays another year. He's matured physically (though getting to be in better and better shape), and I don't see that there's a whole lot he can add to his skill-set. He could conceivably work on becoming a better distributing point guard, but that just isn't his game. Plus, like Jasonsgill said, his offensive role will probably only get smaller.As for Julian, I'm one who thinks he made the right choice for himself by leaving. He was drafted based on his upside potential, and it's hard to see how his status could've been much higher. If he had come back, it would've been almost impossible for him to live up to what was expected. I've heard someone say that when it comes to basketball players, "potential is a bucket of [expletive] that hasn't started to stink yet."

Omegatron 11 years ago

lhohman3 (anonymous) says...Being a Mario Little Fan, (so far at least) kinda' feels like I met a great girl, and because we had the best sex any couple has ever had, I married her. But then she had a religious awakening and has since refused anything but the most basic, lights-off sex. We pretend to enjoy this joyless ritual, but what I really want is grounds for a divorce she'll never provide.. ... You just described a fate worse then death....

100 11 years ago

Nebraska, I'm not starting both Aldrich and Withey next year. Self is.Look back at some of jaybate's comments yesterday. Even he agreed , if Cole stays, that's who you start -- it's no question.Both have great 15 foot jumpers (well Withey actually gets off the ground). Both can block shots. Both D it up. Both box out. Most importantly, both set great picks. If Cole stays, it will be the incredibly athletic twin 7 foot towers. You would be nuts to not start both and build a 25 point cushion.Then bring in the twins, either staggered or together.This team will be so good and it all starts with starting the two first round 7 footers side by side.

Tony Bandle 11 years ago

Everyone has the right to their opinion and everyone has the duty to be tolerant of that opinion. This rather petulant name-calling demeans all of us. RELAX1] Self will never play Aldrich and Withey at the same time...it's against his Okie ball nature to ignore the almost endless permutations of rotations with Aldrich/Withey, Morris/Morris, Little/Robinson, etc. etc.2] Collins will leave because of all the reasons given above plus he needs the money.3]I think many of you are selling Mr. Robinson short. I have seen this kid play in person. He doesn't play like he is in high school, he doesn't even play like he is in college. He attacks the boards and the ball as if he is visualizing playing in the NBA.He is going to a dominant player and I predict will be starting by Xmas. His offense is a work in progress but his defensive and offensive rebounding is DIV 1 right now. Heck, he may average 10 points a game on putbacks.

100 11 years ago

Nice comments, Oakville.You apparently haven't seen Withey play. Yes it goes against Self's Okie Ball nature, but it's not often you can simply set two picks and dunk it everytime the first 5 minutes of the game.He's smart, and he'll make an adjustment to his usual style in exactly one year. By January, next year, he'll be starting:Aldrich, Withey, Little, Collins, Taylor.This will be your 2010 national championship starting lineup.

jasonsgill 11 years ago

Ihohman3-You need to stop jacking lines from Bill Simmons columns (2nd time this week). It's not clever and it is kind of sad that you're trying to take credit...@100-I'm surprised everyone is so certain that Withey will start out of position without any Div I experience over guys who will be in position with over 1.5 years of Div I experience under Self (Morris twins/QT). Seriously, stop dissing the twins with this irrational BS...

eastTXjayhawk 11 years ago

I agree with Oakville, Collins, being a father, needs the money, although (Mario and Darnell withstanding) it's not easy getting that money as a 2nd round pick...but the best stats he will ever have will come this year.Perhaps it is wishful thinking (and what's wrong with that?) but I do believe Cole (Aldridge) will come back next year....maybe even upgrade to some colored tape in his room.That being said, the draft doesn't seem to carry much of the National Championship wave, as Shady and Mario can attest, but let's go ahead and win it anyway (I'm really thinking of next year with this statement, but I'll take one at any time)Only Teen Wolf can get drafted based on potential and pizza jingles.

YaBoyJrod 11 years ago

If we get Wall Collins can leave..... Wall is the next big thing.

100 11 years ago

jasongill, With all due respect, look at the footage of Withey.I don't mean to make all KU students mad who are rooting so hard for this year's team. I root just as hard. But planning for a championship one must look ahead.Withey will start in January 2010. He'll have one year of D1 experience everyday in practice against Cole, Marcus, Markief & Little.Your 2010 national champion starting lineup will be: Aldrich, Withey, Little, Collins, Taylor

jasonsgill 11 years ago

I've seen the footage, it means nothing. It's against short kids with no skills.What you have going for your argument is that Withey will be practicing for a year against current hawks. What you have going against you is 1) that he is not going to be playing true competitive Div I ball while the Twins and, maybe, QT will be. You can learn alot in practice, but it is nothing compared to in game situations. And 2) why would Self go out of position and with inexperience over guys who have been playing in the system for so long, guys who have a lot of talent also.Unless you actually are willing to address these questions, your arguments are pretty flimsy.

100 11 years ago

I will address all of your arguments. 1st: do you really think the four is that much different than the five? Yes, the rotations and placements are different, but you're still a BIG.2: Self knows what he has. It's a question of planning for 2010. Do you think Withey CANT learn the four by then? (he'll learn the five as well obviously).3. In Self's system, you have to know more than one spot.You know that. There's no reason to not start both of these guys and dominate the first five minutes.Are you a Missouri fan?

Dale Kroening 11 years ago

Where is Collins going to go? Hes barely even listed in a most mock drafts in the second round. He will stay another year and improve his shot and handling as that is what NBA execs are saying he needs to improve on. If he comes out this season hes either late 2nd or not drafted,just the facts.

Dale Kroening 11 years ago

Whether he needs the money or not he is not going to opt for the draft if he isnt even assured to be even a 2nd rounder. I love Sherron but he turns the ball over and needs to raise his shooting percentages. If he leaves after this year he'll end up in the d-league or working at Hivee or something. I cant believe how many people think he will leave. So you leave if your not sure your going to get drafted? That would be CRAZY...........................................................

100 11 years ago

I missed a question:Yes, Withey will have a year of practice with no D1 game experience. You're right.But this kid is so long and can leap out of the gym for a 7 footer (he's an ex volleyball player). And he's very coachable, with a lot of passion.If you live nearby, go sneak a peak of one of our practices. You'll notice him immediately. He's the one dunking on everyone.One year of solid practice at KU for a guy like this will definitely put him in the starting lineup. You must not play much basketball?Have you ever tried to defend 2 ATHLETIC, skilled seven footers? It's impossible. That's why Phog wanted the basket raised to 12 feet (except he was dealing with 6'5" guys).

jasonsgill 11 years ago

@100-Well, all of your "3" points are really just addressing my second point. I like how you numbered them 1 through 3 just so you didn't have to address the obvious, glaring counter to your argument that the Morris twins will have over 300 minutes of Div I game time experience behind them in addition to all the practice Withey is getting. That alone would be enough to make it difficult to believe that Withey will become eligible and then start the next day. You can address that point after you're finished watching all the K-State and Missouri highlights you have tucked away on your hard drive.As for the 4 and 5 being interchangeable in Self's offense, that is certainly true. But still, you rarely saw Cole and Sasha on the floor at the same time last year. If you think that's because Cole was inexperienced then ding ding ding that's exactly why Self would be hesitant to insert Withey sans experience. But the truth is that neither Cole nor Sasha had the passing ability to play together in the high-low. Now, if the Morris twins were deficient at passing then you might have some kind of argument. However, those guys were throwing alley oops in the first 5 games they were here. To say nothing of how well they draw the double and get off the interior pass. I hope, really I do, that Withey learns all about interior passing, or that he already has that skill. But. To assume so much, on the basis of what, youtube clips of him in high school, either means you should go ahead and get on the staff of some basketball team, or, far more likely, that you're talking out of your @$$. And, by the way, before you go ahead and try to call me out as being a fan of another school, just realize that you are spitting in the face of current players by considering that a guy who has yet to step on a college basketball court will, without a doubt, be better than them. Terrible.

jasonsgill 11 years ago

I see you got to the other point. I still don't think that practice is the same as a game. And you can dunk all you want in a game, but you still have to pass to play the high low.I think this kid has all the potential in the world, just not so sure about this stepping in and starting thing...As for all of your ridiculous personal attacks you feel like you need to toss in there, well, what can I say, just relax man, take it easy.

100 11 years ago

EastTX, if Sherron needed the money (THAT bad), he would have left already. Not as a first rounder, but he knows he can make money playing ball somewhere. You guys talk like his family is on Michigan Ave with a cardboard sign... His family is fine this year, what makes next year so different? If he's here this year, there's no reason he shouldn't stay and enjoy a championship, all the while ensuring a first round place. He and his family will be better off in the longrun.

jaybate 11 years ago

Some serious posting going on in this thread...manning up on the keyboards, as Coach Self might put it, were he ever to coach a posting team. :-)I'm down with some kind of dread crud and so there is no way I can compete with any of the above. Besides most of it makes sense, despite the strong disagreements, based on the differing assumptions made by the various posters.Assumptions...diverse assumptions...these are really the only thing standing between humanity and a peaceful world, I suppose.As everyone knows, I'm not averse to spirited debate, contrary opinions, and even swagger, but as I contemplate under the haze of certain prescription narcotics, I must ask whether we need to ad hom each other in order to have a good old fashioned family feud? My mother and father argued perhaps 4 nights a week for the 50 plus years of their marriage and never once called each other a vulgar name, or accused the other of lacking brain function. They clashed hard on the issues. My mother never forgot or forgave any mistake he ever made and so there was always something to argue vociferously about, even if only in recollection. My father steadfastly refused to ply my mother with the kind of sweet talk, gentleness and kindness that would have gotten him exactly what he wanted--whether it was more marbled cuts of steaks from the store, or thicker cut bacon, or praise for the money he had earned on a deal, or what have you. But he never called her a name. He might even have gone a little Ralph Kramden on her, stairing down at her and saying, "To the MOON, Alice!" But again no name calling and no questioning of her intelligence. Just hard, often loud, disagreement and refutation of every last thing she said, while she skillfully branched the discussion into ever increasing complexity that left him shaking his head and looking at the ceiling in the family room and rolling his eyes and retreating to his work shop to clean old tools with an archaic grinder shooting sparks like 4th of July sparklers revolving at about 5000 rpm.

Brian Powell 11 years ago

Just saw Julian get in the end of the game vs. Cavs and make a sweet post move. Just trying to change the subject :P

Tony Bandle 11 years ago

jaybateNot bad for a person edging toward their sick bed.Let's put all this in perspective. Isn't it friggin' wonderful that we are arguing over an NBA caliber 6'-11' center and a 7'-0" multi-talented athlete being on the same floor together??!! Most teams would be happy to have just one on their campus!! I am most encouraged that HCBS is not giving up on Wall [Let Stephenson and his posse stay in New York}. The wild card is his mother's health. I don't think there is a question that he loves Kansas and the NBA guard legacy [ Vaughn, Heinrich, Chalmers, etc.]. I am afraid that he may be forced by his devotion to his Mom to stay close to home. This speaks volumes to me about the character of this young man and what a great, mutually beneficial partnership with KU could happen for him.He has got to do what's best for himself and his family, but he would look magnificent in Crimson and Blue!!!

jaybate 11 years ago

Continued from above...We are more than family here. We are living legacy. Really, what can be more shattering to another thoughtful, caring person with common interest than to say, "You're wrong, because you did not think of this, and you couldn't have thought of that and here is how it really is"?Ad homs and assertions of others lacking IQ, or being out of it, really are quite unnecessary to make all the readers here see who is right and who is wrong. Arguments tend to stand pretty much on their own when they are put down in black and white as they are here.Everyone...give each other a little credit and respect...a lot of people know a lot here and some don't know very much and it is fairly easy to discern who knows what without assistance. It is your arguments, your reasoning, your insights that make your cases to me and others, anyway. I understand the urge to go ballistic, because a lot of times one is just genuinely expressing some thing that seems true, or at least authentically suspected, either about how it is, or about how someone else has it wrong, only to find someone else beating the living feces of it (which has to be okay), or out of you (which is what I'm saying ought not be okay). You were having a nice day. The usual chaos in your life had subsided just enough to get a clear pleasurable thought about your favorite subject--KU basketball--out and someone who seems to have just had a really rotten day, or to have scored an unusually bad line of crack, rips you a new one in a public forum.Oh, but you all know what I mean. I don't have to say any more on that.But wait, I'm jaybate, of course, I must go on too long, over inflate the balloon with hot air.

Dale Kroening 11 years ago

Whether you agree or disagree I LOVE THE PASSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott Smetana 11 years ago

Personally I think Collins would leave in a heartbeat if he would go in the first round. Although I think he's great, I don't think he'd currently go until probably late 2nd round. Cole's stock is rising, but I currently am thinking very late 1st round. I'd bet right now they'll both be back. -Rock Chalk

jaybate 11 years ago

continued...Man up on the key boards, but please do it with your arguments. It is okay to say to speak of persons tendencies without insulting their IQ. It is okay, for instance, to say, "jaybate, you write too long. jaybate, I don't read your posts. jaybate, you take the long way around the barn. but it is not okay to say, "jaybate, no one cares, because nobody really knows what is in anyone else's heart. it is okay to say, "jaybate i can say what you say in ten words and here they are. jaybate, one day you will wake up from an extended infatuation with Brady and see that he has to sit for KU to be good. jaybate, you're intergalactically wrong about Okie ball. But its not okay to say, jaybate, you're a fatuous cretin for thinking Brady has D1 game, or Okie ball is a distinct and important strain of college basketball. It is okay to say, jaybate, everyone in college basketball runs the same sets and plays pretty much the same way. jaybate, it is not rocket science. You are overthinking this; its really like this. Now, I wish no one ever thought a negative thought about me and I wish I was always right and everyone knew it. I can get Platonic with the best of them, but like Plato, when I do, I inevitably get to feeling like an authoritarian world with me and a small sychophantic elite would be the most expedient way to make it happen. And yet I can always take it, if I just will without going all Platonic fascism, or inbred Deliverance either. I can usually let that slide and keep at the keyboards, because I know most of you are often right and if I could do it, or say it differently, I would have. But this is what I've got to bring to show and tell and I reckon what you bring is what you have to bring to show and tell too. But crossing the threshold into questioning sanity and IQ and lineage and so on...nope, not needed. An example would go something like this: jaybate, you out-of-it old leper, you can't find your own rectum with a fecal compass and a hay bale hook. save that one for the lurkers from other sites. :-) its not for family, or for legacistas.

jaybate 11 years ago

We are generating the first generation, real time record of digital knowledge about the legacy here. Is that record enhanced by the words moron, imbecile, ass, idiot, imbecile, jackass, mooncalf, nincompoop, ninny, nitwit, simple, simpleton, softhead, tomfool, etc., even when one or all may be seem to fit perfectly to you. There are persons light in the intellectual loafers in every extended family and legacy, I know, but does calling them such really add anything at all to the digital record of the legacy? It probably doesn't hurt it much in the grand scheme of things, but 50 years from now, fans and their kids are not going to glean much about KU hoops from epithets, but they could get some from many parts of the above discussion about what player might play which position because of what kind of talent in what kind of system against what kind of opponents.I often wish my Dad were still alive so I could ask him one more question about how they played the game in the 1930s. Did anyone run any high low in those days? Did some farm boy do a jump hook for some small town highschool? What did people really think of Phog in those days? Did you have any idea in 1946 what the game would become by 2000? Oh, and Dad, I forgot to ask you, did you ever play in ball in the south Pacific, just for R and R? Did you ever swish one on Bougainville? Did you ever see any newspaper stories about KU teams on Iwo Jima? Did Allen teams ever play as fast as Rupp teams? Did Rupp ever have a secondary break? Was Dick Harp a good assistant? Did you ever actually see Wilt touch the top of the backboard? Most of these questions already can't be answered for time is wiping away those who knew the answers. With this here new fangled in-terrrrrrr-net, whah, we kin leave a much fuller record of the legacy fer them what follers. And this ain't no stretcher and I will be headin' out for the territory ahead very soon, if this stinkin' bug I got don't roll over and die before I does.Now, more vicodin and prednezone. P.S.: I am no angel and have said many things I should not have here, too. Tenants of the Field House, these are just the thoughts of an old man in a dry, semi narcotized evening.P.P.S.: All will be well, and all will be well, and all manner of things will be well. Hunt that one down, OakvilleJHawk.

ku98 11 years ago

100, have you ever seen where Sherron grew up? Trust me, if he has a chance to be 1st round, he is gone. I think you badly underestimate the power of money. You must have had been born with a golden spoon up your a$$.And please spare me with your "greed" BS... I too would have left KU early if I had a guaranteed, 3-year, multi-million dollar contract. You seem to be really out of touch with reality.

100 11 years ago

ralster, jaybate and Oakville -- great points. Jaybate, probably the best I've ever seen on this site. You seriously need to be a writer for Sports Illustrated, intermixing your childhood listening to your mom and dad "discuss" things and Sports. Fantastic stuff.EastTX: As for Collins (you said, "the best stats he will get is this year", that was half of your reason for sending him to the NBA). In honor of returned decency to this site, I will simply disagree 100% with you. The reason? Can you imagine what his stat line is going to look like with Withey and Aldrich in there at the same time? He will have an assist-turnover ratio of 5-1. Dribble, back-pick, alley opp, dunk. Pass, pass (back-pick) alley oop, dunk. Pass, Dribble (flat screen with back pick), alley oop, dunk. And when they collapse on them, his scoring becomes that much easier -- and he does have an NBA shot that gets better every week. He definitely has a shot at being a 2010 lottery pick after playing a year with those 7 footers and grabbing another shiny ring on the way out of the Fieldhouse.

ku98 11 years ago

100, your comments are laughable.

Tony Bandle 11 years ago

WOW!! KU Sports .com would be the last place to see a reference to a Tod Wodicka Novel , much less a quote from Dame Julian of Norwich [ I am assuming that "will" and "shall" can be interchangeable } Kind of like sports...funny, poignant, sad, but, with the right attitude always leaving the glass half full..never half empty.Now if Little can stay healthy, and the Twins stay focused, and Aldrich stays out of foul trouble, and Collins stays in control, and Taylor stays aggressive, and Morningstar stays within himself, and Reed stays his steady improvement, and Teleford stays patient, and Thomas stays nose to the grindstone, and HCBS stays calm, and Danny stays period, etc.....the glass stays half full!!!

jaybate 11 years ago

Getting Julian of Norwich is good.Getting Wodicka's Novel is very good.Clarifying shall and will is exemplary.One more connection would be T.S. Eliot's The Four Quartets.No doubt you could come up with still more. She was an influential mystical old gal. Funny how that quote has reverberated down through the years, often nearly falling out of consciousness until the next crisis in civilization. Regardless, you manned-up and finished strong on the allusion! Regarding glass half full, there is nothing like sickness to make one appreciate one's health and a young team emerging. I would say this team is more than half full. It is still in principle a strategically sound, strong down the middle team (the Y-Axis) with good outside shooting on the wings (the limits of the X-Axis). If a 4, or a 4 composite, can be developed, it will return to its earlier fully cruciform offensive potency.Part of the reason things look a little more raw and unsettled than they did after UTenn is that: a) Self has decided Marcus has not improved enough to do it all himself, and so has been experimenting at the 4; while b) Michigan State painfully exposed the extent of our weakness at the 4. Self is just trying to shore up the X-axis (2,3,4) by rummaging for some combo that might work there.Here's what Self is exploring. You've mentioned it. Cole is increasing in dominance and defensive range, but maybe not enough to allow a whole team to play small (as a Jabbar, or Walton would), but also maybe enough to give a 6'5" Little the help he would need, because Little maybe able to play up and under defense on a four the way Chalmers and RR did on bigger guards on the perimeter last year and the way Brady has, too. Self after all did not flinch at letting Brady rely on ball denial and then up and under defense to manage Budhinger.

jaybate 11 years ago

Self on defense is like a mastercraftsman making cabinets. He likes to have all the right to tools, but knows his trade and he knows there is always more than one kind of joint that can be made to hold the same two ends together. If he hasn't the right tool for one, he will fit use the tools he has and fashion a joint does have the tools for that day. Marcus and Little may not allow a standard 45 degree mitre. But Marcus and Little may permit a bevelled, or a butterfly joint. Sorry for all the metaphor, there. Must be the prednesone.So: Self is wondering if a fast, tough 6'5" inch swingman can create enough up and under pressure on a true 4 to then be helped by The Condor swooping for blocks. Self wants to find out sooner rather than later. He already knows they can muddle along with Marcus, even while his development is temporarily stuck. But in order to buy The Condor a true full time backup (right now Kieff is splitting time at 4 and 5 and is too foul prone right now to do both), Self is thinking, well, Quintrel isn't ready, but if Little can free ride on The Condor behind him, then we've got the two 4s we will need that will allow Marcus to play more aggressively on defense. Some of the heat Marcus has gotten has, afterall, had to do with him playing less aggressively precisely to avoid foul trouble, because he has lacked a credible back up. Coming in after five minutes for a month or so, if this works, and playing his butt off on defense, will be really good for Marcus to consolidate what he's learned and develop as everyone hopes he will. It did wonders for Darrell Arthur, two seasons ago, when he reached the freshman wall, too. It also eases Little in. Self is also lighting a fire under Marcus, but it is a small fire, not a burn Joan d'Arc at the stake kind of fire. :-)Anyway, I am partly sanguine with Little at the 4. I am a prisoner of my experience. Since first seeing Wooden win a ring with short, but fabulous athletes in the right scheme, I have witnessed a lot of guys play out of position without the inches and prevail. If Little is as good as everyone says, then he can do this. And if he can, then, frankly, the team is just a matter of a month or so away from emerging as a Top 10 team in terms of necessary pieces on hand (two of everything)--yet one that will enter the tourney under the radar. And all manner of things "shall" be well.Or so I hope tonight.

Trey Hohman 11 years ago

...Other people might see basketball blog sites as more scientific, whereas I now see the natural order of it in terms of entropy, decline and death. -- Point of opinion, the sheer quantity of brain power we've hurled ourselves voluntarily into the search for new basketball knowledge is either exhilarating or depressing, depending on how you feel about KU b-ball. -- The same intellectual resources might have cured the common cold, or put a man on Pluto, but instead it has been used (myself included) to divine the logic of games and create a whole new way of second guessing basketball coaches & making weird jokes.....But to deny the public access to any new information that cares about KU sports, or just sports in general is the logical equivalent to locking up Allen Fieldhouse and playing the games in private so no one can find out the score.....(not written by Bill Simmons this time, fyi...I actually stole this entire quote from the films, "Bad News Bears" & "The Sisterhood of The Traveling Pants".)

finestack 11 years ago

I vote exhilarating. Jaybate on narcotics makes for the best posting/blogging reads on KU hoops in history. Some more name calling in between his posts would be nice, fuel to keep him going and not ddddrifting off to sleep finally... but not from me. KU fans at the game in Boulder: 4,700. Buff fans: 1,320. Rock Chalk Chant a mile high: Priceless.

100 11 years ago

I'd like to see Jaybate at Sports Illustrated on an IV writing columns that are lead off by lhohman3, upsetting conservative, by the book sportsfans, by trying to loosen them up a little bit, only to make them "more mad" by simply taking an obvious quote from an oddball movie and throwing it at us, seemingly trying to make us feel guilty, but in reality, attempting to make us more thoughtful humans, basketball or no basketball. Jaybate can diffuse the fire on lhohman3 for 5 pages per issues, discussing the gamut of various disciplines, anecdotes or life stories from the dinnertable. In essense he'll save lhohman3's job every week, only to anger more fans, creating more angry letters and bad vibes towards thev world in general, giving jaybate that much more to save for the next issue, which of course would be set on the tee by lhohman3, meticulously written in between his 18 hour shifts at the neurology clinic (his real job).This website would flat out suck without these two. Somebody yesterday said "my post is laughable". Perhaps that's all I am asking for you to do if you don't agree? What's up with all the anger KU students?It's not my fault Self's starting championship lineup next year will be:Aldrich, Withey, Little, Collins, Taylor

Tony Bandle 11 years ago

Ralster...I am sure you are thankful you have a job to be hectic about; many don't.I think what I most admire about Jaybate's contributions is not so much the content [although the range from ironic to downright enlightening is inspirational] but rather the tone that makes it alright to be philosophic and poignant and intelligent in our blog responses. There is no need to " dumb down" to a jock sports level [although once in awhile you can have fun with it]. It's OK to quote Bobby Knight and St. Thomas Aquinas in the same sentence, although Bobby is already a saint and Tommy is still working on it...at least that's what Bobby thinks.KU Basketball is a passion in the truest sense of the word. We care not only about winning but how we win...with class, with effort, with the KU culture based on historical excellence. Being a native Missourian, I was quite fortunate to gaze to the west and see the magnificent Crimson and Blue sunset beckoning me to a better place.For me, being a Jayhawk will always be a JOY and a PRIVILEGE. GO HAWKS FOREVER!!!

jaybate 11 years ago

Holy cow, now everyone is manning up and finishing!I'm out of my league.More vicodin.(Coughting jag)Go...Hawks....Rock...Chalk.Stuff the Buffs!Bdeat Bzdelik!!!!!!!!!

100 11 years ago

Good job, ralster, Oakville &Jaybate.Since this entire article was about "wow" Little might start again. I will let this be the last post, in honor of the question, "why?" Drumroll, please...Your 2010 National Champion Starting lineup is:Aldrich, Withey, LITTLE, Collins, Taylor

ku98 11 years ago

100, why not Robinson and Cole at the 4 and 5, and bringing the better twin and Withey off the bench? I think that would make us a much tougher for 40 minutes... Anytime you mention two 7-footers in the starting lineup, I can't help but think of LSU 1990 with Stanley Roberts and Shaquille O'Neal losing to GTech with the tallest starter at 6'9...

Trey Hohman 11 years ago

I love you all, KU fans/bloggers. I honestly wish I could kidnap and adopt you just like Madonna and Angelina do with Darfur babies. 100- I am actually a hack/screenwritinger, living in Los Angeles & attempting to write a satire about a rookie phenom starting pitcher in MLB, who helps his slugging ball club win many more games, as he simultaneously moonlights as a serial killer...-- Knowing very little about sports before I attempted to start writing this script, (& still knowing very little) I have scrolled literally thousands of sports blogs sites, & NONE compares to the passion & intelligence of the KU fan/blogger. -- Thanks 2 you for being so cool & you are absolutely right, any sports publication/website would be lucky to have Jaybate as a sports writer, as he makes Rick Reily sound like Keanu Reeves with a major hangover. -- BTW. I still do not have a title for the script, so if any of you brainiacs have any suggestions I am open to any and all suggestion in the future...?

Dirk Medema 11 years ago

I love the maturity and collegiate presence that Mario brings to the floor. He is the 3rd scorer/leader that KU (any team) needs. It takes so much pressure off the young guys. He also played the 4 last year in the JUCO NC's (lost in semi's?) so it isn't a stretch for him, and Coach has played small with Rush at the 4 at times last year.100 - I tend to defer to the comments of the coaches, and in this article, Self comments with a bit frustration about not having a big to back up Cole ALDRICH (the caps weren't for you, but for the disrepectful bloggers who insist on using someone else's name - I'm suggesting removal for anyone that can't get it right) when he starts Markieff alongside him. For that reason, I see Withey subbing for Cole, although I do wholeheartedly expect that Coach Self will use the twin towers alignment more than once during the year.The comment that Robinson is a rebounding machine would also lead me to believe that he has a chance of starting from the start for that reason alone. It is what Coach has talked about over and over again as being his expectation from his role playing bigs. That being said, I can easily see Markieff, QT, ... getting it in the meantime so that they would start. I can also see it being predominantly a 3 man rotation the way it was primarily last year with Cole being the ocassional 4th big.I think Griffin (SP?/OU) and Manning will be big influences on Cole returning next year. Griffin was projected high in the draft last year after one good season (read potential), but worked on his game a bit more (Cole has already commented on the benefit of working with Danny and there is still more to come), has become dominant this year. Look for him to leave as a top pick this year, and for Cole to do the exact same thing next year (work in the offseason, play dominantly, win lots of awards (NC?), and leave as the top pick). Withey would be next in line in 2011.Sherron staying or not will ultimately come down to the draft projections and his health. I wondered at how quickly and almost forelornly (SP?) he commented on returning at the NC last year. It makes sense tho when you realiz that he was headed toward off season surgery. I look for him to take part in the eval period this year (can only do it once) and staying if he is a top pick. I also still look for Wall to come here if Sherron leaves, and to go elsewhere if he stays. He won't even have to decide in the spring, because he knows he is the best and will have a place wherever he decides to go.

Tony Bandle 11 years ago

1hohman3How about "Pitch Blade"......."Southmauler"......Mound Murderer.....Dexter [ wait that's already taken].....Jock the Ripper.....just to name a few!!!!

Trey Hohman 11 years ago

Jock the Ripper is funny...I am trying to find something maybe more subtle, but I am horrible @ coming up with titles, aka. "Searching for Bobby Fischer" which was a very nice film about adults/parents searching for the next Bobby Fischer, I maybe feel is an example of a title with too much information, as it's giving away too much of the inevitable content/context....I personally think that a film like, "Doubt" is a great title. Strong, accurate, yet vague in context. -- North Dallas Forty, is personally my favorite sports/film movie title of all-time. Titles are so hard.

100 11 years ago

Dagger, That might be one of the most intelligent basketball posts I've ever read. Good stuff. You're probably right on a lot of this. I still see the first five to seven minutes as the most important in terms of setting the tone. No team ever starts two seven footers because no one has them. If they do, neither of them come close to moving and shooting like Cole and Withey do, unless they're in the NBA. I seriously think this could be the BEST starting five in the history of college basketball (in case any KU fans haven't seen it I'll list it at the bottom of this post).Lhohman3,TITLE.... "The Baseball Wolf Six Pound Banana Chronicles"You could be the next JK Rowling -- make it a serial killing ppitcher who takes steroids for eight years. Each movie covers a year. Make him a wolf. At night. Person at practice who can't throw a strike. Anyway, since it covers eight years of his life, he's forced to get married, get bored of his wife's bed habits, have half-wolf kids... The whole nine yards... Er, Sixty five feet. And luckilly for you, your viewership will be trapped, just like JK's, to watch 8 episodes, no matter how poor they are.Dagger, Back to our 2010 national championship starting lineup... By the way, our 6-11 bench players are going to be SO good, I now fully realize after reading your informed thoughts. But here's the starters....(drumroll)Aldrich, Withey, Little, Collins, Taylor

Tony Bandle 11 years ago

lhohman3How about "STRIKE OUT"..it represents the ultimate elimination in baseball and could symbolize death, the ultimate elimination in life.

100 11 years ago

Lhohman: call the movie "Cereal". On the posters the serial killer can be on a box of wheaties... You could also call it "Dirt" (3 obvious connotations connect with this, infield dirt, getting the dirt on the serial killer, and where he buries his knives after killing (underneath dirt path between homeplate and pitchers mound).As for other items of interest, the 2010 842-121 champion starting 5 will be:Aldrich, Withey, Little, Collins, Taylor

Trey Hohman 11 years ago

Cereal, Strike Out & Dirt are all solid. -- Screwball, perhaps?After today's game, I am predicting starting 5 to be @ beginning of season:Aldrich, Taylor, Johnson, Marcus & Moringstar. -Kieff & Withey, 6th & 7th man...?(Collins in NBA-top-5 pick in 2nd round, alah, Chalmers example of taking on a bad team & getting some legit PT?)

Trey Hohman 11 years ago

Serial-Box Athlete, -- I am liking, sort of...? Okay, I need to go to bed.

100 11 years ago

Lhohman3, Serial Box Athete is not bad. Maybe too much. How about just Serial Box?You're probably right about Nov 1st, 2009 starting lineup. These guys are getting better by the game. The more months that go by, the cream will rise to the top. I also think Collins is smart enough to go first round. I think he'll wait -- his child is doing just fine this year, what makes next year different?What do you think March 2010 starting lineup will be?I think your 2010 March madness championship starting lineup is:Aldrich, Withey, Little, Collins, Taylor

Trey Hohman 11 years ago

Probably if Collins comes back... I think Withey & Marcus are somewhat interchangable, as in, they will both probably play 22-25 mins & won't really matter who starts.... -- Little just bothers me, not personally of course, but his game is weird & not exactly practical I fear.. He's too small to play 4 & he doesn't seem to be able to handle the ball very well or shoot from outside of 10 feet very well.....I just don't know what the significance is of being the Nation's Juco POY...? Is it basically like being the 83rd best highschool player in the nation? -- I gotta say, everytime everyone discounts Moringstar, he simply goes out & plays better every game. I think, possibly besides, Taylor, from first exibition game of year, to right now, he has improved the most...

100 11 years ago

Lhohman3,This could be a world record, in terms of website posting. The most igsignificant story (Little might start) in the history of sports, has 89 comments and counting.I for one, feel very proud to be part of what Ghandi (I mean jaybate) calls "the digital record of a legacy".I'm sure someday somebody will look back and call us what we are -- borderline geniouses. But until then, we'll have to suffer like the rest.In the same vein, i'd like to add an idea into your movie -- have the pitcher be Angelina Jolie, dressed as a guy. His wife can also be Angelina Jolie. And the manager, etc. will also be Angelina Jolie...I know you'll have to train her for months on the stabbing scenes, but I think it will be worth it.As for the March 2010 starting championship starting lineup for those of who missed it -- the BEST starting five in the history of college basketball, I with all due respect, submit the following... (drumroll)April 2010 National Champion STARTERS: Aldrich, (stayed for love of game, friends, degree, happiness, and overall realization that he CAN become lottery pick with awesome JR campaign) Withey, Little (much much improved becoming NBA 2nd round ready by now), Collins (staying to become easy lottery pick and quadruple his earnings after realizing his assist to turnover ratio will be 5:1 with Withey & Aldrich), Taylor (NBA ready by now, at least 2nd round, quick as lightening, smart ballhandler by now with crippling self defense)

Trey Hohman 11 years ago

Serial-Box Athlete, + Angelina Jolie = better than The Natural. I could be entertained watching her read a phone book....Also, I am adding a character with the last name of Morningstar. (Greatest last name in College basketball) He is going to be the team's "fiery" second baseman. --- The African American player on the team hates that particular word, (fiery) as he feel the media only applies it to white players, & because whenever he shows the same emotions, he is simply branded as "tempermental". -- Also adding a 22 hot-female fan who gets stabbed to death in the women's bathroom during a ball game, because she constantly complains 2 her boyfriend how boring baseball is & would rather be watching the latest Mandy Moore/Julia Roberts flick,,,she also refuses to drink a beer at the ball game because she states how she is allergic to beer hopps & all carbonated sugars..(actually witnessed this happening last night at a local sporting event, sadly, but again, I live in LA, so...).....Anyone who represents sports in a negative fashion gets killed, eg. Shock Jocks, crooked agents, bad baseball dates, obnoxious harrassing fans, etc...The Dirty Harry of sports morality...Like the picks of starting 5. -- Looks good on paper, but then again, so did "W" at one point, some (not me) would argue...I still like our chances this year to go fairly deep in NCAA...

100 11 years ago

Lhohman3, as always great stuff. Perhaps there's a Collin Cowheard type interview (could hire Jaybate to play the part), where the interviewer has said just enough middle of the road bad things that Wolfman Pitcher Jolie is dying to do an interview with him. Sure enough, he gets the interview, and, like Jaybate, after Jolie hears him babble for a half hour, she/he finds it very hard to "take care of him" (at least during the broadcast). In fact, he/she is very inspired, almost to the point of "believing" this intelligent (sort of) radio crackerjack.That night she/he throws a no hitter and has drinks with a serial company rep from Wheaties. She/he hates the rep, but signs the contract. So much of the movie is who he really wants to "get", but just can't due to personal relations, or, strangely, money/ contractual concerns.It makes every one of these scenes that much more appealing -- we "know" he's going to get them, has them in perfect location etc, but his conscious finds an awful time to present itself.As for your title "serial box athlete", i'd shorten it down. Think of being 15. Those young teens (where much of the market on a movie like this) will have to be able to say it in a "cool" conversation. "Hey Bonehead, have you seen Serial Box, it's awesome!""what's it about, I can't tell from the title? It's short and confusing, yet intruiging because that's NOT how you spell Cereal!!""you'll have to see it Bonehead! It's awesome!"As for this fantastic article on Little, which deserves the unprecedented 91 comments its received so far... If I knew nothing about him, I'd say he'll be cut. But he's awesome. And Brady's getting better by the dribble. Lhohman3, have you seen my 2010 NCAA champion April starting lineup yet? If not, I'll list it below...Drumroll...Aldrich, Withey, Little, Collins, Taylor

Trey Hohman 11 years ago

Some of those Nike ads make certain professional athletes seem like they could be serial killers...In those Nike commercials, there is always a rainstorm in the bg. The athlete is always drenched in sweat/water but the color is magnitized to make it look just like massive amount of blood is covering the athlete, as the V.O has this same blood-soaked althete talking (in an unemotional & monotone voice) about his primal need to win at any and all costs, etc.....Words like "destroy" & "conquer" & "submission" & "unimaginable pressure" are constantly used as he continues to reference violent & angry words in describing his inner-plight & demons of a being a professional athlete in today's world.I also love how you have named everyone who is talking about this film when it hypothetically comes out, "bonehead"...Probably my exact target audience for this film.Little need to start playing big for this lineup of yours to become a truism...Haha...Very bad joke, thank you..

100 11 years ago

Lhohman3, That's hilarious, I knew there was something wrong about those Nike ads -- I just couldn't figure it out until you described it (above).Perhaps the movie could be called, "Bonehead" SUBTITLE (tiny at the bottom): "The Mad, Intruiging & Highly Questionable Adventures of a Serial Athlete"... Fifteen year olds couldn't stop talking about the one word, two sylabel title (Bonehead), much less an "old" lady Angelina Jolie forcing them into uncomfortable thoughts...As for Mario "the human injury" Little, we're starting to see flashes of how good this guy can be. I saw him dominate before the injury, so I have an unfair advantage. We still have no explosion from his legs yet (when healthy, he is lock down defender, and, if you blink, he is a laser going to the basket, who can score at will, much like Dwayne Wade). The Texas A&M game was more of what we will see in his career, he has great pivots, great with his back to the basket, from even 15 feet, a perfect 3 (off guard) man -- although, right now, I can understand why the entire Jayhawk posters are against me -- truly, right now he looks like he's an old man trying to get down the court. This injury takes awhile to recover from, obviously. It's a strange injury, because it really does hurt so much, yet his bone strength truly is getting stronger by the week. The confidence in true exploding might not come until this summer, which will be a really important time for him to become a fluid part of this 2010 national championship roster..My starting lineup hasn't changed, much, for the 2010 National Champion starting lineup, the lineup which will ultimately be the best starting five in the history of college basketball. After further review, I still believe Taylor probably will be in the lineup... it all depends on Wall at this point. If we get Wall (funny how Missouri newspaper reporters are trying their hardest to make us not get him), the starting lineup could be (depending on Wall's development during summer workouts with the team)...Aldrich, Withey (back pick deluxe, imagine 2 Wayne Simiens on both sides of the paint, picking for each other, easily snatching position from their defenders, with 7 more inches of length per individual, and 10 more inches of verticle for one of them, Withey), LITTLE, Collins (a whole lot smarter than many KU fans seem to think, he knows he can be a lottery pick if he stays until 2010 championship), and finally, the last starter... WALL*this lineup will rock -- here's an extra -- this 2010 team will have the best 6th, 7th, 8th,9th, 10th men in the history college basketball (Taylor, Morningwolf, M.Morris, M2Morris, and lastly, the glass eating freshman -- Robinson)