Wednesday, January 14, 2009

KU, Mizzou to battle

Kansas University’s women’s basketball team will put its unbeaten home record on the line tonight when it plays host to rival Missouri.

Tipoff for the Border War game will be 7 p.m. at Allen Fieldhouse, with a live telecast available on Metro Sports (Sunflower Broadband channel 37).

Kansas (11-3 overall, 0-1 Big 12 Conference) is coming off a 72-39 shellacking at Kansas State on Saturday, but is 8-0 in Allen Fieldhouse this season.

MU (9-5, 0-1) is led by junior forward Jessra Johnson at 13.9 points per game and senior guard Alyssa Hollins at 13.6 ppg. Johnson is the Tigers’ leading rebounder at 7.0 per game.

KU counters with Danielle McCray (18.1 ppg, 8.4 ppg) and Sade Morris (12.3 ppg).

Kansas leads the Big 12 and is second nationally in three-point field-goal percentage at 40.8 percent, but the Tigers are tough defending against the three. Opponents are hitting just 24.9 percent of their long-range shots.

Kansas leads the all-time series, 39-35, and is 18-11 in games in Lawrence, though the teams have split the series in each of the last three seasons.

The Jayhawks might play tonight without senior captain Katie Smith, who suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in her left knee in the closing minutes of KU’s loss to Kansas State. She might continue playing with a knee brace, or could opt for KU-career-ending surgery.

Comments

FlaHawk 11 years ago

Lady Hawks need this one badly! Hope AFH is the remidy for thid team!

truefan 11 years ago

We should probably get our butts in the seats and help them out. Maybe a big crowd could give them the confidence they need.

sevenyearhawk 11 years ago

I'm going to do my best to get out there with the family ...It is going to be freaking COLD tonight, though - hope that doesn't affect attendance.I think we've only missed one women's home conference opener since 2004.

Cody Stumma 11 years ago

truefan,until the student section actually cares about the Women's BB team, then the Women's Team will never get a Big Crowd. Face it, the day all the children came was the largest crowd ever... and that was around 5500 people? Compared to an approx. average 17,500 people for the Men's?But I really hope KU can pull this one off. I'll be there!

Jonathan Allison 11 years ago

Allen Fieldhouse seats 16,300, and I would guess that if that game were the largest attendance for a women's game that there must have been at least 9000 people there. I went to some women's games a few years ago where they had around 6,000 in attendance.

kucourtsider 11 years ago

Just an FYI, the attendance for the Iowa game when all the school kids were there was 5,186. Straight from www.kuathletics.com, the box score indicated this:Attendance: 5186We will be there tonight. Hopefully people will show up tonight and help support the ladies!

Cody Stumma 11 years ago

My bad, I guess I will quit trying to guess and look up the information. Sorry.