Thursday, January 8, 2009

Kansas AD’s salary No. 2 in nation

Bloomberg.com filed public-record requests with every public university in the NCAA’s Football Bowl Subdivision and learned that Florida’s Jeremy Foley is the highest-paid athletic director with $965,000 in guaranteed salary.

The second-highest paid athletic director? None other than Kansas University’s No. 1 man in the athletic department, Lew Perkins, with a $900,000 salary, Bloomberg reported.

Retiring Kansas Chancellor Robert Hemenway justified Perkins’ salary in an interview with Bloomberg.

“Athletic directors are no more important than faculty in any discipline, but they are paid proportionally more because salaries at a university reflect the outside marketplace, and American society clearly places a high value on collegiate and professional sports,” Hemenway told Bloomberg.

In an e-mail to Bloomberg, Hemenway added: “Perkins runs athletics like a business — focusing on generating revenue while being efficient and keeping costs down. In five years, he has doubled the departmental budget and translated this financial success into concrete improvements.”

Comments

ictjhawk 11 years ago

So Lew is #2.......let's look at his staff. They are probably #1 in the rankings.....WAY OVER PAID!

Ryan2845 11 years ago

Here is a link to the actual bloomberg article with the data since kusports is too lazy to link to the articlehttp://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aYYY_mDwYMkY

RyanHawk 11 years ago

Lew has done a lot of good things for KU. I haven't always agreed with the way he goes about making some of the money for the University but he has generated a lot of it. Without Lew I don't think we would have been in the Orange Bowl last year. I still believe he sweet talked us in there and that alone was worth like $10 million dollars more then the Cotton Bowl. He was smart enough to resign Mangino early when a lot of us thought he didn't deserve a big contract extension then Mangino goes 12-1. He kept Bill Self in Lawrence after winning a National Championship and gave him a huge contract to stay here for 10 years. With all the money generated is help build new athletic facilities for Basketball and Football to help increase our competitiveness in both. I think Self and Mangino really like working for him and that shows with there loyalty and his loyalty to them.While there really is no job that Bill Self probably would ever leave KU for other then Oklahoma St (which he turned down) and maybe NBA job in like 7 years. Mark Mangino on the other hand I think would have to get looked at by other football programs and you don't really hear about that happening. Mark Mangino has a good thing at KU and I think he knows it. He makes good money, has a good AD, expectations aren't too high and he has a voice that is heard when it comes to things he needs to make a successful program. KU needs Mark Mangino and Perkins realized that way before anyone else. Nobody has done for KU football what Mark Mangino is doing and I believe will continue to do. KU needs to do everything they can to keep him because a good football program makes a lot of money for a University and gives it financial freedom!!

jhwkswn 11 years ago

I would agree he's worth every penny. Is this the first time AD's salaries have been reported like this?If so, I wonder if this report will cause some changes in the lineup. For example, what do you think the Texas AD will think when he sees that his school, which has almost double the athletics budget of KU, is paying him almost a third less than what KU is paying their AD?I hope Lew is looking to stay around for at least a few more years. Wonder what his retirement plans are?

BigGuyDon 11 years ago

The best get paid the most. This is America, right? I actually find it refreshingly fair, since I've seen an awful lot of instances where others besides the best are getting paid more. For anyone complaining, I've got two words: Al Bohl. Lew's worth every penny.

TtownHawk 11 years ago

Amen to that BigGuyDon! well said, we do not ever want to have to relive the Bohl years ever again here!

Lesta 11 years ago

Lew brings it..so he earns it. One of the very first things he said in the press conference announcing him as AD was that KU had lost its swagger...and he was right. He's brought the swagger it back in spades...Just ask anyone in Chapel Hill...or Manhattan...or Columbia...or Lincoln...or Boulder...and I'm not talkin' "Bring it On," "Mission Accomplished" swagger. I'm talking natty champeenship swagger. Heck, even our football program has much deserved swagger. When was the last time that occured? I don't even think I was born then, to be honest.That is all.

FlaHawk 11 years ago

The UT AD, Deloss Dodds, was the KSU tack coach before becoming the UT AD. Think he did not get a hugh raise.Didn't Marcum go to USC (SEC) when he left KU?

Joe Ross 11 years ago

I cant say I cared for Big Lew when he arrived at KU, but he has certainly shut my mouth and proven me wrong.I echo the comments made earlier: WORTH EVERY PENNY!