Thursday, January 8, 2009

Gary Bedore’s KU basketball notebook

Praise of Brady

Kansas University coach Bill Self during an 810-AM radio interview Wednesday was asked about the consistent play of sophomore wing Brady Morningstar, who averages 7.7 points, 2.9 assists and 2.7 rebounds a game.

“Kansas won a national championship with a guy named (Jeff) Gueldner. To me, Brady is a lot like Jeff ... makes shots when he’s open, guards the other team’s best perimeter player for most of the time,” Self said.

“Last night, Brady guards their leading scorer (Edwin Ubiles), and with a minute-and-a-half left in the game, (Ubiles) has two points (finishing with eight). You look at the job he did on Budinger (Chase, 1-of-9 shooting, five points in Arizona game) and the job he’s done on some other key players like Christmas (Dionte, 6-of-14 shooting, 21 points in Temple game). I’m real pleased with him.”

Self wasn’t finished praising the 6-foot-3 Morningstar, who is fourth in the Big 12 in three-point field-goal percentage (.460) and second on KU’s team in minutes played (28.0 per game).

“He doesn’t look like Brandon (Rush) did playing that spot and never will because he’s not as tall, his physique is not what Brandon’s is as far as a strength standpoint,” Self said. “From an efficiency standpoint, Brady is having a heck of a year. He’s not our problem defensively. We’ve got to get other guys playing to Brady’s level.”

Next up

No. 8-ranked Michigan State is off to a 12-2 start entering Saturday’s game against KU (noon Central Time, East Lansing, Mich.)

The Spartans, a popular choice to make the Final Four, are 3-0 in the Big Ten following Tuesday’s 67-58 home victory over Ohio State.

Comments

actorman 11 years ago

I'd love to see what all the Brady bashers have to say now.One of the reasons I had confidence in him was that his dad had been a very good player. Another thing is that he always looked like he knew what he was doing out there. Brady just gets better and better; Gueldner is one of my all-time favorite KU players, and I love the comparison.

mojayhawk 11 years ago

Smart, solid, consistent, and dependable. That pretty well describes Brady. And yes, I am old enough to remember his talented Dad play ball. Great lineage!

yates33333 11 years ago

I don't think Jeff was as consistent a shooter as Morningstar. He was a valuable player, just like Brady. Very good defensively. I didn't realize Morningstar was as effective as he is on defense.

Ted Toulouse 11 years ago

For this team, Morningstar is great. He's a smart kid that is a great example for the young guys on the team. Keep in mind he's 2 years older than most of them but he provides much needed consistency.

zissou 11 years ago

I've heard rumors that ol' Roger can still keep up one-on-one with Brady. Whether it's true, I've got no idea, but it's fun to imagine.

KUFan90 11 years ago

I'm a Brady convert. He has blown away my expectations of him this year. Keep up the great work Brady!

jaybate 11 years ago

"For this team, Morningstar is great."--ttoulouse I thought that for awhile, that he's only good enough to play because of the kind of down the middle game KU plays with Collins and Aldrich. I thought that for about the first three games. But this guy is a player. Period.Players who can defend like Brady are rare, even though Self manages to find and develop more than his share of them. We're frankly spoiled with these great perimeter defenders after Rush, Chalmers, RR and Brady. People are going to flip when he comes back next year and starts scoring 15 every game, too.Compare his play to the other players without experience trying to learn to play D1, while they start and you realize he's done an amazing job. If Tyshawn had to guard the best scorer on the perimeter all the time and if the Twins had to guard the best scorers in the paint all the time, they would be fouled out 15 minutes into the first half of every game...and the guys they were guarding would NOT be shut down. Turnovers? This guy is playing like freaking senior regarding TOs.Assists? He remains the ONLY guy on the team, who can consistently feed the post, when the post man is posted up and can actually do something with the rock. Good lord, 46% from three point land? That's BETTER than BRush. I know. He's not taking many. But you know this guy could hit 40% of his threes on codiene. He's clearly holding down his offense to let the team play down the middle with Cole and Sherron.Self, who must have scored astronomically high in pattern recognition, brings Morningstar into perfect focus when he recalls Jeff Gueldner. Gueldner was a good player who happened to be a great glue man for a Manning team that was hugely strong down the middle. (Hint: Self is modelling this team off the '88 team.) But he was still a good player regardless.“Kansas won a national championship with a guy named (Jeff) Gueldner."--Bill SelfBrady is a good player, who just happens to be a great glue guy for a down the middle team. But this guy could play for just about any team that plays defense, shoots the three and lacks a superstar at the three...and most teams don't have a superstar at the three. KU was lucky to have Rush quite awhile. But great threes don't grow on trees.P.S.: And yes Brady is eventually going to get his lunch eaten by someone. It happens to EVERY player. It even happened to Rush a few times. No one can beat everyone one on one. The question that haunts me is this: on this KU team, who is going to help Brady, when he runs into a mismatch he cannot handle by himself the way Brady covers for others?

Steve Day 11 years ago

I just polished off a footlong CROW sandwich from Subway. I never imagined Brady being the type of player he turned out to be. Very happy did though. I didn't see him getting any time and even suggested he transer to a D2 school. He has obviously grown up and matured and worked hard. Congrats Brady and thanks for making me eat that crow. Keep it up. Go Hawks

chezlog 11 years ago

"Self, who must have scored astronomically high in pattern recognition, brings Morningstar into perfect focus when he recalls Jeff Gueldner."Nice piece of writing Jaybate.

KUPROUD 11 years ago

I love this quote from Wayne Simien that is posted today as the Blast from the past. "I think it's close to the toughest I've seen (KU) play in terms of diving, being physical, hitting back. When everyone has no fear, it's amazing what we can do. If we play like that, and I think we will, I don't think there's many teams who can beat us." - Kansas junior forward Wayne Simien after KU's 81-74 victory over Michigan State on Nov. 25, 2003. Simien scored a career-high 28 points in the game.I hope every player reads that quote and takes it to heart.

Lance Hobson 11 years ago

I thought of Gueldner yesterday when I was thinking about the kind of player Morningstar is becoming. That is a good comparison, although I thing Gueldner was a more natural three-point shooter.

mikehawk 11 years ago

I have gone from "get that guy out of there" to "wow, that kid can play." I, too, have become a Brady convert. Travis, pay close attention to Brady Morningstar and you too can get more minutes.