Thursday, January 8, 2009

Billy Self, not the KU coach Bill Self, is in Douglas County Jail

photo

Billy Eugene Self

Billy Self was booked Tuesday into Douglas County Jail.

No, no; this is not Kansas University men’s basketball coach Bill Self.

The inmate does seem to be infamous to prosecutors across Kansas and in the basketball coach’s home state of Oklahoma.

Billy Eugene Self, 52, was transferred to Douglas County from Greenwood County Jail. He faces a misdemeanor drug charge in district court and has multiple warrants out for his arrest in Topeka, Derby, Sedgwick County and Oklahoma.

He’ll most likely make the rounds, as prosecutors take their turns with him in court.

The man also has a criminal history in Kansas; he was convicted of attempted robbery and driving under the influence.

While Billy Self’s story isn’t quite parallel to Bill Self’s, Lawrence will be home to both for now.

Comments

Ryan2845 11 years ago

Honestly....THIS?This site is becoming a joke

stravinsky 11 years ago

Well that's pretty damn awesome. Normally I don't join the complain-fest about the extra pointless stories that get posted sometime, but this one's sort of out there.

jayhawker_97 11 years ago

just another pointless story, you've got attention you deserve, Fray. perhaps you can tell us the rest of your "coverage of the reemergence, arrest and trials of the BES crimes".so far you've got your crime-touch stylish writing on Collins, Morris, Afenir, coach Self; who you got next? Bonnie Parker's son?

Eurekahwk 11 years ago

Welcome to my world where Billy Self not to be confused with the highly touted National Championship coach Bill Self is a drug pusher and a thief. Guess what, his wife's name is Cindy too! I'm not lying. I know this because Eureka is the county seat of Greenwood county.

Gregg Webster 11 years ago

Is it just me or do others think the old site was ten times better than this new disaster. Did somebody hire a new boss for this website? It stinks! Lousy layout, crapola articles, seems to have fewer clips, generally IMHO it bites!

yates33333 11 years ago

Yes, Gregg.Here's a nutty comment for a nuttier story. Maybe he is Coach Self's alter ego!!!!

yates33333 11 years ago

A nuttier comment: Doppelganger? Too bad they used a picture.Stories like this aren't all bad. They reassure readers that sportswriters are weirdos too.

Jarod DeLozier 11 years ago

This is in slightly poor taste. This dude obviously has some problems, but they don't need to be made fun of in the media, especially not this site that should be focusing on sports.

gutter 11 years ago

Hey Jesse, Did you know there is a kid named Danny Manning who thinks he is an author. https://www.authorsden.com/visit/author.asp?authorid=88782An actor/stage director named Joe Dooley.http://www.ibdb.com/person.php?id=78883My guess is there is also a Kurtis Townsend somewhere in this country that probably sells insurance or works in a McDonalds.

KUbsee69 11 years ago

Yeah, and there's a guy named Jesse Fray posing as a sports writer.

KUPROUD 11 years ago

Well, Jesse, as you can see, you blew this one. We all do it. Just learn and move on.

ottomark 11 years ago

Gregg is right. This new site is terrible. It's more difficult to find things. And it includes stories like these that are uninteresting and sophomoric. I mean, I can see by 8 year old being interested in the fact that there is a man in jail with the same name as the KU coach...but not my 11 year old...

Jeremy LeMaster 11 years ago

delo.... yes the dude has problems.... but they are of his doing.... make fun of him. Maybe he will get embarrassed and straighten up. He's probably happy (or would be if he could get the internet in the Douglass County Jail) that we are all talking about him.

Jeremy LeMaster 11 years ago

Nobody is forcing anybody to read these small sideline stories. They are interesting to some, and not to others. You could tell by the headline what it was going to be. So, I must ask, why are you in wasting your time posting on a story that you shouldn't have been reading if you knew that it wasn't going to interest you. Are you trying to waste all of our time with pointless posts? You must realize that what you want to read about is not necessarily true for all of the other KUsports.com readers. They put stories on here to reach the interests of a broad spectrum of people coming to this site. While there are still stories about actual sports.... this is a day that not much is going on with football... the women played recently... been a couple days since the men played and will be a couple more. Sure they will have all the normal "meet your oponent" stories and the like, but there has to be some variety.PS: I like the new site (minus some of the new text formatting)

JayhawkPurist 11 years ago

Don't mean to pile on, but it needs to be said so that it doesn't happen again: Please don't clutter the men's basketball page with totally irrelevant stories like this one.

ku92tx 11 years ago

Please try not to confuse Jesse Fray with the following people:Jesse Frey - The Villanova college student. http://www19.homepage.villanova.edu/jesse.frey/orJessie Fray - A random chick on face book http://www.facebook.com/people/Jessie... Jessie Frey - The Audio Quest worker from CA http://www.spoke.com/info/pEIuz6N/JessieFrey Just thought you all should know

KUFan90 11 years ago

Can't you see Jesse reading these comments with a self satisfied smirk on his face? The only reason I can see for posting this story is to laugh at all the complaints he knew it would generate. Congrats Jesse, I guess you got what you were looking for.My biggest complaint about the new site is the removal of the little icons next to the stories. Some indicator about the sport the article covers, including whether mens or womens, and clear indication of if it is a video or not would be very helpful.But I fully expect to never see an improvement like that be considered here.

vmwskywalk 11 years ago

OK, so we've proven that Jesse and many other have learned how to Google names. Bravo! Now, lets try not to use our sports page for homework any more.

Jonathan Allison 11 years ago

So I guess that while reading the courts section of the local paper someone was worried that KU men's basketball coach Bill Self was put in jail. It seems ok to write a column to reassure the fans that Coach Self if not in jail. But no need to make a spectacle out of it and post the dudes picture and broadcast all of his transgressions for the world to see.

jchief40 11 years ago

Get this stupid story out of here. Nobody cares ...

Rick Arnoldy 11 years ago

"Jessie Fray - A random chick on face book http://www.facebook.com/people/Jessie..."Wow, I didn't know Jessie is kind of hot. I guess I have to pay more attention.2nd "Wow". Coach has really let himself go based on those mug shots.

Tom Gillaspie 11 years ago

My two-cents. What a colossal waste of time. I don't know if the old site was a lot better, but this is pathetic. How about some real basketball news, maybe some recruiting news? If these people aren't plugged in enough to report on something meaningful related to KU b-ball,like recruiting, they could at least subscribe to Rivals and swipe the info from them. Speaking of recruiting; this site really sucks the hind one when it comes to timely reporting about recruits. I'm sure there are plenty of other people who would find recruiting news about any possible prospect more interesting than this drivel. And don't bother trying to defend these hacks, the ear will be decidedly deaf. One other thing: Put the box scores in the same format everyone else in the basketball world uses.

TexasJayhawk78 11 years ago

I enjoy reading about my Alma Mater, Lawrence, the Jayhawks and everything connected with them. My spirit is lifted daily by my connection to this very positive and enriching environment. However, there are times when I feel that some reporters of the LJW go a bit far in what they feel is good news worth reporting. I don’t mind if the LJW wants to publish the “low-rent” tripe on the backside of the daily hardcopy. I ask you please do not disgrace KU, Lawrence, the Jayhawks, and even the LJW by including this disreputable style of reporting in the medium that reaches all corners of the world.

kranny 11 years ago

I imagine that the writers are simply beating everybody to the punch meaning they've had calls from scanner listeners and rumor spreaders. They are probably tired of explaining that "no, it's not HCBS, it's some other loser" a hundred times. Lighten up readers!

kranny 11 years ago

For the grammar cops out there, let me detract the "other loser" part of my previous post and put in "some loser who also goes by the name of Bill Self".

CaramelMacchMan 11 years ago

KU sports You Let The Whole Team Downnnnn!!!!

Ryan2845 11 years ago

You know what we need?A "Suggest Removal" button for articles as well as comments!

AverageCitizen 11 years ago

What a bunch of whiny readers! The old saying "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say it" appllies to this inoccuous article. The paper isn't written just for you, it is for everybody. I, for one, got a chuckle out of the small piece and was glad I knew this was an imposter in case I read or heard about it on some other fan sites. Don't waste my time putting so much fury into something so trivial!

Tom Gillaspie 11 years ago

Average Citizen, I believe you may be missing the point that the "whiners" are making; this site is called KUsports.com. I guess you appreciate having your time wasted?

Joe Ross 11 years ago

There are times when criticism is fairly deserved, but I dont understand why this article elicits such a visceral reaction in readers. Translation: it may have been a poor piece but the response is disproportionately negative. If youre going to RIGHTLY bag on Jesse Fray, Im going to RIGHTLY bag on those of you making too much of this! Why do you care so much if an article like this gets published? And another thing: for those of you who dont like the site...DONT CLICK ON IT! Grow up, move on, get a life! Making a fair complaint is one thing, but this avalanche of bellyachin' makes me feel like Im babysittin' my sister's kids.

jaybate 11 years ago

This is damned if you do and damned if you don't journalism.If they don't put it out, some idiot at ESPN, or some vindictive jerk at the LA Times trying to make it hard for KU to recruit in SOCAL, might "accidentally" pick the headline up and run with it. This story pre-empts that sort of "mistake" because even the laziest, most irresponsible sports journalists would check a few local news outlets before running an errant story. And if they didn't, well, then Self and everyone at the LJW could really make the guy who makes the "mistake" look like a fool.But if the LJW runs it, then everyone here rains on them and calls them retarded.I think it was right to run it.It is easy for readers to skip stories in this format and go on to what interests them. But it is hard to deal with misinformation once it gets loose.Cut them some slack on this one.

Jonathan Allison 11 years ago

all I'm saying is this, if they were really trying to inform worried readers that Coach Self is not indeed in jail, they could have done so without parading around this man's baggage and posting his picture on the internet where anyone now could stumble across it in a web search or some other way. It could in the end contribute to far more confusion than it would have were no light shed on it at all.

jahawkdave 11 years ago

The article is great! I love seeing all the negative comments that follow. Waste of time? first you get the whole story from the headline, what's that take 1 sec of your valuable internet surfing. Then if your dumb enough to click on it, another 10 sec wasted reading it. Then for the idiotic another minute to write a comment to bitch about what a waste of time it was to read an article there was no need to read. Brilliant!!!I'll take people b!tching about writers, articles and websites, rather than our teams, players and coaches anyday! I say things are going pretty good in Jayhawk land.

jchief40 11 years ago

someone said "KU sports You Let The Whole Team Downnnnn!!!!" lol nice.

jaybate 11 years ago

plasticJHawk,You have a valid POV. Thanks for clarifying it. But I believe I do too. This is why it was a tough editorial call. Calling attention to this WAS bound to cause more nuisance than not. But again, not calling attention to it and letting someone put out the story mistakenly would cause a lot more nuisance.

jchief40 11 years ago

ESPN and the like would not put a story out like this without doing some research.. hahahahaha.

s6u6r6f 11 years ago

Wonderful. Can it possibly get any better? Perhaps a column with LJW? What does he think of our incoming recruits? He needs to formalize Billy to Bill to facilitate confusion. Rock Chalk, Billy Self.

Dan Harris 11 years ago

<p>KUSports.com is supposed to be a place I can read about KU Sports! NOT CRAPPY stories like that piece off %#$@! That is embarrassing to say the least.

Mangino_Maniac 11 years ago

Someone at the LJW... please, delete this article from the site.Show some class.

Jeremy LeMaster 11 years ago

If you don't like the story; don't read it!If you don't like the website; don't visit it!If you don't like whats on TV; turn the channel!If you don't like being ignorant; stop talking!Congrats on making this the most popular story on the website! Morons.....

actorman 11 years ago

I was going to comment, but I can't add anything to what TaCityHawk had to say. Sums it up brilliantly.I actually do have one criticism of TaCity's comments: it's really insulting to morons.

jchief40 11 years ago

TaCityHawkFan is gay! Yay! Not in a bad way but in a politically correct way!

jchief40 11 years ago

actorman what if this website starting putting up nothing but paris hilton articles and gardening tips - would you have anything negative to say. Just don't visit the website, right? TaCityHawkFan misses the boat with his little libertarian rant.

jaybate 11 years ago

yates33333,Doppelganger?Tell me the intel organizations are not getting into sports, too!Tell me they are not creating doubles for head coaches now!:-)

KUFan90 11 years ago

Ahhhh TaCityHawkFan, the sweet irony of you posting a response calling us morons for making this the most popular story on the website.Please post a reply telling us to stop posting on this story!

jahawkdave 11 years ago

Billy has the same scowl as Jeff Graves: http://www.kusports.com/basketball/roster/03-04/graves.htmlSeeing Jeff's major maybe he could shed some light on why Billy Eugene Self turned to a life of crime and not a D1 Bball coach.I really hope this story hits 100 comments

Rick Arnoldy 11 years ago

"I really hope this story hits 100 comments"Do we all get dollar off coupons for pizza if it does?