Monday, January 5, 2009

Two prep wideouts commit to KU

Erick McGriff, son of former major-league baseball slugger Fred McGriff, was one of two ballyhooed high school wide receivers who gave Kansas University nonbinding oral commitments over the weekend.

The other was Arlington, Texas, wideout Chris Omigie.

McGriff, 6-foot-4 from Tampa, Fla., visited KU last month and told Rivals.com he saw Kansas as a way to get away from his famous father’s legacy.

“I just want to get out of Florida,” McGriff told Rivals.

McGriff said he especially liked KU’s spread offense.

“I like how there is a lot of man-to-man coverages, and with the way teams are running it now it is hard to stop,” McGriff said.

Omigie also presents a big target at 6-5, 185 pounds.

“It is a big, big relief,” he told Rivals. “Now I can focus on basketball knowing I have made the decision. I can start helping my basketball team the way I know I can. I was amazed with everything at Kansas and glad it is over.”

Omigie reportedly had more than 15 scholarship offers after making 55 catches for close to 1,000 yards and nine TDs this season. He also visited Nebraska, Baylor, Purdue and Colorado State.

“I liked everything about my visit,” Omigie said. “The players were very close, and they were like a big family. I liked all of the coaches I met and the relationships I built with them. I felt like they welcomed me with open arms.”

Comments

railer1122 11 years ago

Very nice... Likely to replace Meier and Briscoe (He will leave after next year.)Both seem like good players and playmakers who have heads on straight.

JBurtin 11 years ago

I was expecting one big WR to come, but getting two guys at 6-4 and 6-5 is amazing. 5-11 corners aren't going to have a prayer against us.Welcome to the Jayhawk family guys, I think you've both made an excellent choice for your future.

Lance Hobson 11 years ago

I love all of this great news surrounding our football program!

Ted Toulouse 11 years ago

awesome! so does anyone have any scoop on who's going to be throwing to them after Reesing graduates?

fhtcchief 11 years ago

At this point, it sounds like Kale Pick would be Reesing's successor. Anyone know how many scholies we have to give this year? I think this makes 21 oral commitments so far.

Ryan Gerstner 11 years ago

This is by far Mangino's best recruiting class! Great to see all the talent we're bringing in!

Jeremy LeMaster 11 years ago

Did Kale Pick Red Shirt this year? Does anyone know much about the two QBs coming in with this class (Jordan Webb and Christian Matthews)?

longhawk 11 years ago

Pick did red shirt, so he'll be a 2009 freshman, and the most likely successor in 2010.I would assume Webb redshirts next year, so he'll be a 2010 freshman. He's likely to remain a quarterback--a lot of places (MU included) recruited him, but wanted him to change positions. KU appears to be offering him a shot at quarterback. So 2010, it's probably a battle between Sophomore Pick, and Freshman Webb.Matthews is a good candidate for a position switch, a la Herford, Meier, A.J., etc. But who knows? Maybe he's still a quarterback option.

jayhawkinATL 11 years ago

Yep, great news!!! Will definitely have to put some meat on Omigie. 6'5" and only 185 pounds?!?! Wow!!!

kranny 11 years ago

Mathews is a legitimate QB candidate. Check out his Youtube. Dude can run and he has an arm. Took his team to the state semi finals this year(I think). I wouldn't shoe in Pick just yet. Pick is from Dodge City, Mathews is from Texas. Texas plays football virtually year round which allows for the skill sets to be practiced a lot more. Dodge City doesn't and Pick didn't play but one game his senior year. The situation reminds me of Reesing/Meier. Mathews high school runs the spread also. Should be an interesting shootout in a year or two with all of these QBs coming in.

justanotherfan 11 years ago

The Texas 7 on 7 rules give Texas QBs an experience advantage over a lot of other states, especially Kansas, which doesn't allow out of season work by coaches. I think that probably gives Matthews at least an experience advantage over Pick. It's hard to say skillwise because Pick missed so much time in high school, as noted above. I am happy that we are bringing in big receivers. I hope at least one of them is a game breaker type guy. I do think Mangino is addressing priority #1, which is to upgrade the overall athleticism of this football team.

Matt Kenton 11 years ago

And now we begin to see the rewards from our new football facility.Nice job Lew!

JayViking 11 years ago

I would think that Matthews being from Texas would be negated by the fact that Pick will have been here for another year. Who knows.

Jaminrawk 11 years ago

I'm just happy that we are landing talent that is being offered by some pretty good football programs. It seems like during the Allen years and the first few years Mangino was here, most of the recruits we landed were either coming to KU or pretty much non-BCS conference schools.

FlaHawk 11 years ago

Maybe I'm spoiled living in Tampa, FL, where we have had 1-3 QBs each of the last 4 years throw for more than 5,000 yards in a single season. Erick McGriff has potential and I believe he is a three start rating from Rivals and Scout. I just watched him play basketball on Saturday and he is built like his day (Crime Dog a/k/a Fred McGriff 498 MLB HRs) and a Tampa native. His body can still fill in as a HS player at 6-4 180 he culd add 30 pounds easy to his frame with a college weight room. He should redshirt a year to develop. . He was 4.6 speed and I think he is rated in the 40-50's for his position.Because he played for a small school that rearely play the public schools as a Class 3A (FL 1500-2000 students) school (Florida has 6 classifications and a school of 2000 is relatively small and either rural or priv private) that did not throw the ball that much, he made a bigger impact on defense. He did not make any of the Hillsborough County 1-2-3 teams on offense as the area is load with pass happy teams that put up big numbers for their receivers.I only saw him play FB once last year and other than the name would not have noticed him as a Junior. I believe he has a good upside, if we would concentrate on FB year around and drop basketball and baseball).Did I mention that he pllays baseball too, although not like his Dad, who by the way got cur from Varsity his sophmore/Junior season at Jefferson HS in Tampa. His Dad's HS team eventual had 5 MLB players on it and three that hit more than 300 MLB HRs a piece.Fred is a real All-American in every way. If his son has half the character of his Dad KU will have a gret student/athlete.

Jonathan Briles 11 years ago

Matthews has potential but he is not the best QB out of the three. I dont know that he will change positions though because he is quick but not athletic enough for college WR. He has straight line speed but not very shifty. Webb is a lot like Reesing undersized but scrappy. Webb is not as fast as Pick but has an unbelievable ability to throw on the run. Pick is probably the favorite to win the job because he graduated early and has been with the system for a long time and is very hard working. People also have not considered Tyler Lawrence. He is not outstanding but he has been here for a while and is not too bad. He will be in the race even if he does not win he will make it competitive.

Jaminrawk 11 years ago

Who ever wins the job, I'm confident Mangino will make the right choice. He has an eye for talent and he finds a way to get it all out on the field somehow.

KGphoto 11 years ago

Tyler Lawrence, who looked comfortable in very limited time this season, has the experience advantage over all his competition. He'll be a senior.Based on comments from Meier it sounds like Pick is ready. Then Lawrence with his knowledge and experience. Then Webb and Matthews battle for the final spot, with one of them working out at another position. Probably Matthews. I don't know how "shifty" he is but Meier doesn't look very athletic either, and that means zilch. So if Matthews can run fast and catch I'd say he's candidate number one for a Mangino QB/WR patent.

Ted Toulouse 11 years ago

I totally forgot about Lawrence. hopefully his experience is enough for the year of eligibility he will have left. Who knows, by then maybe we'll get a ready-to-start freshman that blows everyone away. Let the era of good KU football officially lift off!

Dirk Medema 11 years ago

It is nice to get a couple of big, possession type receivers. Now it would be really nice to get one that has some serious jets to really stretch things out.

chicagoeddie 11 years ago

i love that comment, let it rain! hahaha~

rolo2383 11 years ago

I read a blurb on ESPN about Webb and they said he is an awful lot like Reesing but a little bigger and a little better runner. If this is true I can see in a couple of years where Webb is hitting Pick for game winning touchdowns against Texas and OU. Am I dreaming?I love KU bball but I love KU football even more. I've heard some rumors about more expansion to the football stadium and if it is true I'm totally stoked.

mdfraz 11 years ago

Rolo-I love KU basketball (and we finally played KU basketball on Saturday), but there is no better team sport in my mind than football, and I can't describe how excited I am about where we are headed. That being said, I hope we don't expand the stadium until we consistently sell out every game. There are probably around a million people that live within 50 miles of Memorial Stadium, yet last year, on Senior Day, undefeated, we didn't sell out a 50,000 +/- stadium until three days before the game. Attendance was good this year, but there were a couple of games that were not sellouts. If we can't sell 50,000 seats, why make it bigger? I'd rather have a smaller, full stadium than a bigger, emptier one. If in two or three years we are selling out every game, then we might look into it. On a more general note, our recruiting class is shaping up to maybe be our best ever. I know Mangino et al are able to squeeze production out of less talented/highly recruited players, but I'd rather be squeezing production out of three or four star players than two stars. Some four stars don't pan out, some two stars overachieve, but on the whole, the more talent, the more success (see USC, Florida, Texas, OU, etc.) I know several others have said it but I can't WAIT until next season. ROCK CHALK!!!!!

mdfraz 11 years ago

PS-Now if we could just steal Wingo out of Illinois and Mizzou's backyard........

jmseibel 11 years ago

At some point, the building that has been done by Mangino and staff should be paying off in looks from great recruits like these. Hopefully we can get the snowball headed downhill

mdfraz 11 years ago

I think we are already seeing the rewards of Mangino's (and the whole football staff) hard word and dedication. We are now cashing in on last year's success, which is why the end of this season was so critical. 8-5, another bowl win, and a ton of momentum for next year and beyond. Getting things started is the hard part, and that's what we are doing right now. It is also helpful to have more TV exposure, the new football facility, and FAN SUPPORT. That's huge. I was discouraged as I watched the replay of the TTU game this year, as students bailed out REALLY early and they were making comments national TV about the game being a "debacle". I was irate at that. Not to sound like a parent in saying "back in my day.....", but I got here in 1997, the beginning of the Terry Allen experiment. To have students be so spoiled already and not realize how lucky they are to be here at this point in KU football history almost makes me sick. Eight wins under Terry Allen was unthinkable. Now, it's a slight disappointment. How great is that?????

Dan Harris 11 years ago

I can't wait fot the day that the stud recruits from in state come to KU and not Miami like this year and last year( the 2 kids from Wichita)

mdfraz 11 years ago

Does anyone know why (other than the tradition, warm weather, etc.) the older Brown went to UM? Bill Young wasn't there yet, so that's not it, but was there any other connection to the school? I can see the younger bro following him there, and that's probably better to lose him to Miami than to KSUck. I agree Dan, there aren't many great recruits in Kansas year to year, so we need to lock them up when we can. If we continue to build as we have been the past few years, it will start to happen.

abefroman 11 years ago

Sweet, Fred McGriff's kid... I also heard Tom Emanski's kid was hired as the instructional video coordinator. I predict "Back to Back to Back" national championships

bayareajhawk 11 years ago

hahahaha... thank you, abefroman. I was going to make a joke about that but yours was way better than anything I was going to come up with. I do hope Erick wears his ballcap like his old man, though. What style!

Alan Halvorsen 11 years ago

The crime dogg is a class act. A class act I tell ya.Flahawk, I literally can't understand one sentence you write.

justanotherfan 11 years ago

mdfraz,I think you hit it on the head - Miami is "The U." Kids want to play there because of their history and mystique. Think about how all of the former NFL players come back and train in the offseason with the current players. Watch a game and see if you can spot former 'Canes on the sidelines - Edgerrin James, Michael Irvin, Andre Johnson, Ray Lewis, etc. I do agree (as I have said many times) that we MUST lock up all instate talent. KU produces anywhere from 8-14 D-1 quality players per year. This year alone we are losing 4 of the top 5 rated players (Brown to Miami, Bird and Musil to Oklahoma, Young to Nebraska). Last year was similar (Brown to Miami, Chris Harper to Oregon, Broderick Smith to Minnesota). In 2007 the top 5 went to Nebraska (Blake Lawrence), Notre Dame (Brian Smith) KU (Ryan Murphy), Iowa (Christian Ballard) and K-State (Jeremy Reed).Look at what has happened when we have signed the top players in the state:2006 - Jake Sharp, Jamal Greene and Tyler Lawrence, all rated in the top 5 in the state.2005 - Kerry Meier, Caleb Blakesley and Darrell Stuckey all rated in the top 6 in Kansas.

Kyle Crenshaw 11 years ago

lol well in ncaa football 09 kale pick is the starter when reesing leaves. he had some wheels but very weak arm... lets hope EA is wrong, they usually are!

rolo2383 11 years ago

Just read that Sean Ransburg has been cleared to play. I just wonder if he's planning on coming to KU.

PJ Karasek 11 years ago

well in my ncaa 09, kale pick's a freakin stud. But then again I run a spread/option hybrid so maybe that's just his "wheels" kylecisnum1 is talking about. He still absolutely destroyed all of reesing's passing records tho

Hawkish4bigM 11 years ago

If you want an expanded stadium 7 or 8 years from now you better start talking about it today. Mangino will keep building the program and the success will provide the revenue, so start planning now. I wouldn't mind seeing a 75,000 seat stadium. Push season tickets hard. Make them non-transferable and you will get your attendance. And good job at recruiting, Hawks!

JBurtin 11 years ago

Webb will be the man to replace Reesing.Book it, the kid's a stud.

mdfraz 11 years ago

Hawkish, I don't mind if they start thinking about expanding the stadium, but let's make sure that we have the fan support to make it viable. Not only would you not have revenue coming in to pay off the expansion if the fans don't continue to support, how crappy would it look to expand the stadium and then have it be only 2/3 full again? Rutgers started expanding their stadium after a year or two of moderate success, and while they had a better year than most in their history, the few games I saw there, there were a lot of empty seats. And that's with NYC nearby. If someone wants to look at the feasiblity of expanding and consider how we might do it at Memorial (I would think a second deck on the east side would make the most sense), that's fine. However, let's not get carried away just yet. I'm giddy about where the program is and where I think it's headed, but it's not a guarantee. And as I said yesterday, although the attendance was good this year, there were a few games that we didn't even sell 50,000 seats, let alone 75,000. How many years will it take before a sellout for every game is a given, like at Allen? This is four years of bowl eligibility, and two straight bowl wins, so maybe next season will be a good measuring stick of our fans' commitment. I do know I'll be buying my season tickets ASAP. :)

Alan Halvorsen 11 years ago

fraz- Rutgers is in New Jersey where all they really care about up there is Pro sports for the most part. Us here in Kansas we don't have a professional team to root for (thank God).Let's hope that professional team in missouri keeps doing terrible so Jayhawk fans can focus on how the hawks are doing.....and stop saying home of the chiefs at the end of the national anthem. (I want to rip my hair out when I hear that)

vmwskywalk 11 years ago

I think the year after next would be a good measuring stick. With the expectations as they are, sellouts could be common place next year. Post Reesing should tell us something.

mdfraz 11 years ago

Jimmy, I also HATE the "home of the Chiefs" ending. First off, it's unbelievably tacky and disrespectful of our national anthem. Second, WE ARE IN LAWRENCE. We aren't at Camaro-head cheering for the Chiefs. Anyone else hate the fact that instead of the War Drum we now compete with Mizzou for the Lamar Hunt trophy? As if selling out and playing away from campus wasn't enough, we now have to put Hunt's name on our trophy? Other than talking the athletic departments into playing at Arrowhead, what does Hunt have to do with KU? Mizzou? College football in general? NOTHING. I was simply using Rutgers as an example of a team that has been on the rise recently that is now expanding their stadium, facilities, etc. I realize they are in New Jersey, but NYC is pretty close by and there are apparently a lot of alums in that metro area. Point being, even if pro sports are big around there, there are 8-10 million (or more) people there to fill the Rutgers stadium, and that didn't happen in the game or two I saw there this year. I love enthusiasm more than I can say, but let's stay realistic and take things one step at a time with a stadium expansion. That's all I'm trying to say.

jacqueshock 11 years ago

Sweet! Another guy out of Florida. That's what I like to see. Being Crimedog's son is pretty cool, too. "THIS is the instructional video that gets results." Both are tall receivers and so make great targets. It'll be exciting to see how they fit in.