Friday, January 2, 2009

KU football future looks bright

Kansas center Ryan Cantrell raises his helmet to the Jayhawk fans following the Jayhawks' 42-21 win over Minnesota Wednesday, Dec. 31, 2008 at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Arizona.

The Kansas University football team barely had completed its historic 42-21 Insight Bowl victory over Minnesota — the ink had barely dried on the box score, and players and coaches and cameramen still cluttered the field — and already players couldn’t help but turn their attention to the projected promise of the 2009 season.

“I hope (fans) are excited, because I’m excited,” said receiver Kerry Meier, as KU coach Mark Mangino accepted the school’s sixth bowl trophy on a nearby stage. “ ... We’re going to enjoy this one tonight and enjoy this one until school starts, but we got a lot of talent coming back that’s going to keep us hungry and keep us excited.”

This is what happens when a team fresh off its second straight bowl victory and riding a wave of momentum like none the program ever has known, returns nearly every skill player it has, including a pair of future NFL receivers and a quarterback who, on a weekly basis, does things that defy conventional logic.

Of the seven Kansas players that ran, caught or threw the ball in Wednesday’s victory, only one — senior receiver Dexton Fields — won’t return next season. Offensive tackles Jeremiah Hatch and Jeff Spikes, who took their lumps this season as red-shirt freshmen, will be a year older, and it’s hard to imagine standouts Todd Reesing, Dezmon Briscoe and Meier regressing too much heading into ’09.

The biggest hole, of course, will be left by the departure of senior linebackers James Holt, Joe Mortensen and Mike Rivera, who played what Mangino called their best collective game of the season against Minnesota and long have been the anchors of the team’s defense.

“We have some areas to improve in,” Mangino said. “We may even need some immediate help in recruiting at an area or two, and we have to see how that plays out. ... But I can say with a great deal of confidence that, stay healthy and stay on track, we have a chance to be a very good football team next year.”

Meanwhile, the Jayhawks’ main competition in the Big 12 North figures to enter ’09 in varying stages of the rebuilding process.

Nebraska, fresh off a 26-21 victory over Clemson in Thursday’s Gator Bowl, will lose quarterback Joe Ganz to graduation and be forced to travel to Lawrence this time around.

There’s Missouri, which will be breaking in a new quarterback, too, and potentially could lose both of its top two receivers in Jeremy Maclin and Chase Coffman.

And the prospects of the dark horse Kansas State Wildcats took a blow, as well, when it was leaked Thursday that quarterback Josh Freeman plans to enter this spring’s NFL Draft.

Predictably, Mangino was in no hurry on Wednesday night to turn his attention to next season. Having seen up close what the burden of expectations can do to a team — just three hours down the road, a hyped Missouri team struggled to an underwhelming 10-4 record this season — Mangino seemed content to enjoy the moment and bask in the final game of a season that, despite its struggles (Texas Tech, Texas), had its share of high points, as well (Missouri, Minnesota).

“Gee whiz, I’m not really thinking about that right now,” said the coach, who improved to 3-1 in bowl games at Kansas and has led the Jayhawks to 20 victories in the past two seasons. “We always have high expectations, and next year will be no different.”

At least one player, however, couldn’t help himself.

Before disappearing into a sea of white jerseys following Wednesday night’s historic victory, Mortensen — having calculated what the Jayhawks return next season, and having seen the way the offensive ran all over the Gophers — has arrived at the conclusion that, indeed, the Jayhawks will be hoisting their first outright Big 12 North trophy in school history next fall.

“Definitely,” said Mortensen, who, after playing his final game for the Jayhawks on Wednesday, will be forced to keep tabs on KU from afar next fall. “After beating Missouri, hell yeah.”

Comments

chezlog 11 years, 4 months ago

I say we'll do it next year. Can't wait.This has been a fun season but it''s going to be a long wait until August.

Lance Hobson 11 years, 4 months ago

I can't wait! I just hope our defense doesn't blow a chance for an amazing season.

jayloco 11 years, 4 months ago

Amazing what 2 wins can do for a program. I remember back in November sitting at Arrowhead thinking, man, if we lose today to MU, what a forgettable season we had, 6-6 with no major win.Now we are talking about a solid 8-5 season that ended with an Insight Bowl win. Way to turn around the season Hawks!I for one am really excited about next year. The offense, provided we can get some quality starters at the 2 guard positions and center, should be able to perform at a high level and keep us in games. The defense has some big shoes to fill at LB, but I was impressed with some of the line play late in the season and hopefully a solid D line and the athletic ability of our DBs should be able to help those new LBs break in and make plays. I don't see any reason why we wouldn't be considered co-favorites with Nebraska to finish 1st in the North. It's awesome to be talking like this consistently regarding KU football! I have longed for a solid football program here at KU and it seems like we are well on our way to consistently solid football teams. Thanks Coach Mangino and Sweet Lew!

John Mueller 11 years, 4 months ago

Agree with all. With the season on the brink, these kids stepped up huge against Missouri.Nice finish against the gophers as well.The usual suspects get all the kudos (Reesing, Dez, etc.) so I will applaud the play of Rivera, Holt and Mortensen. Very nice job. All three made huge plays in the second half. Really a treat to see the defense force some 3 and outs.Dugan, please write a story about who's going to have the fill the holes in the o-line and linebacker corp?Also, we need to get better on the defensive line if we want to dream about a Big 12 championship. The only way you do that is with dominating d lineman who can stop the run and blow up the pocket. Don't see any of those on this roster.Oh, Ryan Cantwell. (is it Cantwell or Cantrell?, oh well the life of a center...)Nice block in the second half on a stunt where the Gopher 91 comes down the line and tries to come thru the middle. you knocked him completely out of the play. as Wayne Grigsby would say beee u ti ful!!

KGphoto 11 years, 4 months ago

So who's currently tabbed to start in the OL interior?From the depth chart it looks like Sal Capra at center, Carl Wilson at RG, but who might play LG. I remember the recruitment of the massive John Williams and thinking he would step right in and play. Same with Marrongelli. But I haven't heard anything since they signed. Anybody have something?On the other side, I'm dying to see how the D line does next year. They have Blakesley back, and three young maulers inside. Johnson, Parrish, Greene. Laptad and Wheeler at the ends. I'm thinking next year's best story might be the improvement of this unit. And it's ability to take some pressure off the new linebackers.

hometownhawk 11 years, 4 months ago

Brad Thorsen, the transfer from Wisconsin, will start at center. Williams and Capra may be in a battle to start at guard if Hatch moves inside. If he does, I could see Leuken and Spikes at OT, Hatch and either Capra or Williams at OG, and Thorsen at C. Plenty of depth with Wilson, Wolfe, Marrongelli, and D'Cunha.

sdoyel 11 years, 4 months ago

Considering we only lose our 3 interior linemen, Dexton Fields, our trio of LB's, and one starting D-linemen (14 returning starters in all), you have to consider KU the favorites to win the North.KU without question will have probably the most talented offense in the North, if not the entire Big 12 next season.Mizzou loses (I believe) 8 starters on defense, plus every play maker save their RB on offense.Nebraska loses Ganz, Lucky, and their talented WR's. Their defense could be good and I would expect them to be our biggest challenger in the North.KSU sucks. Period.Colorado has a TON of question marks.Iowa State. New coach.I fully expect to be at the game in the new Cowboys stadium next Fall watching KU play for a Big 12 title. The 2009 team has 9+ wins written all over it.

Dyrk Dugan 11 years, 4 months ago

i think Hatch will go to center. he was originally recruited as a center...but we'll see. if that doesn't play, then i think Capra will play center, and Ben Lueken and John Williams at G.If Hatch goes to center, then Ian Wolfe or D'Cunha will play LT. Thorson is still in the mix as well.our o-line will be darn good next year. i think we have better football players than the ones that are leaving. i'm not saying Mayes, Cantrell and Hartley weren't good...i just think we have more talent on the way. Experience of course, is important. but those interior guys leaving this year, didn't play a down in '06.

pearcejp 11 years, 4 months ago

Don't forget about Ben Leuken. He was a true freshman who Mangino played some this year and Mangino really likes. I think we'll be okay on the OL>

rockchalks7 11 years, 4 months ago

our d-line will be greatly improved next year. What we have now will only get better and we have some studs on their way. 2 juco all americans. one a 4 star commit who was committed to michigan out of high school and is 6'6 and the other a quick interior lineman that made first team all america. also 2 high school seniors that are rated pretty high including the nebraska player of the year in Sellers and Randall Dent fron Texas who had many big time offers. This doesnt even include DJ marshall who redshirted this year and who knows how much better Laptad will get. He seems to get better every game. Cant wait till next season already!!

Jaminrawk 11 years, 4 months ago

I'm very excited for 2009 but I seriously don't want our fans to be like all of those MU fans that were clamoring for a Heisman and National Championship, only to be severely disappointed. That being said, that national media won't respect KU as much as they do every other team in the Big XII so I think they probably can play the "no respect" game.

Craig Lang 11 years, 4 months ago

The Big 12 North will be weak next year, except for Kansas. While I will relish a Big 12 North title, I will relish it even more if Kansas can actually win against any of its Big 12 South opponents next year. Once again, KU will be up against the Big Three (UT, Tech and OU). While I don't expect KU to make a sweep, I think winning two out of those three, followed by a solid performance in the Big 12 title game (win or lose) would get the Jayhawks another BCS bid.

jayhawkcat 11 years, 4 months ago

I think KU will have a great year in 2009. Just beat Nebraska, thats all I ask.

FlaHawk 11 years, 4 months ago

lalawguy,The Big XII North has been weak for a few years now. It will be even weaker next year. I agree with your points completely. Can not wait for next year!Go Hawks!

Bill Capps 11 years, 4 months ago

It is going to be a long 9 months waiting to see what KU does next year. I am also very optimistic about what they might be capable of. I think a birth in the conf. champ. game will hinge on the play of the lines. KU will be able to score with anyone if the O line is even decent, which I think they will be. Moving Hatch back inside would seem to be a good idea. Spikes, Leuken, Hatch, Throrson is a good starting point. If the two juco's coming in are playmakers on the d-line next year will be very bright indeed. A 6-6 245 pound DE known for being a pass rusher is very exciting to me. Haven't seen that come into Lawrence since I don't know when. Just having one guy consistently getting pressure up field would be huge, let alone seeing Laptad, Johnson, Greene continue to grow into that role. I think you know what you have in Blakesley, he's a plugger and a good run stopper, Parrish behind him looks to be in the same mold. Getting playmakers around them will be key. I am not overly concerned as far as the LB's. I think Wright, Springer, Dudley, Lewis, Schermer, Quigley whoever can be coached up and have enough talent to come in and not be a detriment to the D. I'm already itching for 09 - big 12 north and a 10+ win season is very realistic.bc

OCJHAWK 11 years, 4 months ago

Weak is a relative term. The "weak" North won the Orange bowl last year along with the Alamo bowl at least the last two years and the Gator bowl and Insight bowl this year. Most conferences would be OK with that. I do agree that the South would be the best conference as a stand alone the last few years.Here's to KU breaking into the South's dominance in 2009.Rock Chalk

John Brown 11 years, 4 months ago

KU Football will be only getting better. We also have a pretty good recruiting class coming in next year. The recruiting has been getting progressively better and better from year to year.

bg97 11 years, 4 months ago

I'll contend these last two wins were more important for the program then actually winning the Orange Bowl last year. Not bigger, but more critical. 6-6 going into a minor bowl is light years from 8-5 with back to back exciting wins and strong momentum heading into 09'. Really, this group of players were just so likeable, coachable, and an all around joy to watch. Hats off...(again)...to Mangino. He is the brain behind all this.

Brian Skelly 11 years, 4 months ago

I agree that the last two W's for us (Mizzou and Insight win) were as critical as they've had for awhile. And bg97's points are well taken.More than anything in my mind its just fun and nice to know that Football is relevant at KU. Im still cautiously optimistic about next year, but we should do no worse than what we did this year.Going bowling every year, or nearly every year as an alum is all I've ever really wanted. The Orange Bowl last year will be tough to top and achieve again. But its clear that Mangino and Perkins will keep us on the right track with this.

Mike Crosbie 11 years, 4 months ago

As we get close to conference play in basketball we are still excited about football....how wonderful, and how lucky we are !! Mangino is creating a dynasty and Self is continuing one, and no worries about losing either coach...How wonderful !!!!It's great to be a Jayhawk !!!!!!

Tony Bandle 11 years, 4 months ago

2009N. Colorado - WIN@ UTEP - WINDuke - Win Let's hope we play Duke twice next season, we'll beat 'em in two sports!!Southern Miss - WINI-State - WIN - They're going to be horrible.@ Colorado -WIN - They''re going to struggleOklahoma - WIN - Without Bradford, they're vulnerable especially on D..it's our turn!!!Texas Tech - WIN - Without Crabtree, maybe, but a tough place to win. @KSU - WIN - No QB and a washed up old coachNebraska - WIN - The Horncusters go down!!@ Texas - WIN - Add the men in stripes to the Texas roster but KU vercomes all odds12-0 regular season, North Title, play Texas again in the Championship. Reesing clinches Heisman with the performance of his life as undefeated yet still deemed underdog KU upsets Texas and Todd gains revenge for the recruiting snub in Jerry's new playground.The National Championship pits KU against Southern Cal and before a record world-wide crowd at the BCS, Kerrry Meier throws a flea flicker TD to Todd Reesing as time runs out to pull KU to the National Championship 35-33 thus giving KU two NC's in 15 months.....which will become three 3 months later in the NCAA Men's Final!!!!!

CaramelMacchMan 11 years, 4 months ago

Wow! OakvilleJHawk! wow!!! You sure made me imagine all that stuff and it was so beautiful....You know what... If KU can win 2008 Orange bowl...why not next BCS championship.... I'm all in With you... Lets get the hopes up Jayhawk Nation!!!

Lance Hobson 11 years, 4 months ago

Oakville, I love the assessment of KSU. I wouldn't just assume a win against Southern Miss, though. They will be tough along with the usual Big 12 suspects.

rockchalk_dpu 11 years, 4 months ago

Oakville,I hate to poke holes in your "schedule" but we need to be realistic or we could fall into the same trap that Mizz-who did this year with tons of hype and huge expectations. While I agree that we should be 6-0 heading into the game against OU, and it will be in Lawrence, I think it is a huge stretch to say that Bradford will be gone, and that we can chalk it up to a win. As for Texas, they will still have McCoy, and I think his favorite target Shipley, so that game will be very difficult as well, not impossible, just difficult. I do feel confident that if we prepare each week and work hard in the off-season, we can see another year like '07, but it is still way to early to pencil in a 12-0 season. Let's let things shake out with the rest of the bowls and the players leaving early before we start claiming dominance over teams.That being said, I love the enthusiasm, and maybe read way too much into your post, but I want to make sure that we are realistic and to expect some hiccups as we make our way from perennial doormat to national powerhouse (keep in mind the National Championship game is at the Rose Bowl too...).Love the fire and can't wait for August...RCJGKU

justanotherfan 11 years, 4 months ago

Our biggest questions won't be on offense - they will be on the defensive side of the ball. Remember, we were a pretty good offense all year. Our problem in our losses was that we couldn't stop anybody. Unless our secondary improves, an unknown at this point, we can't go undefeated.I think next year is a 9 win year, maybe ten. Let's not forget, even if Texas and Oklahoma lose players, they will still be loaded. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year for Texas. Also, we have yet proven to be as strong on the road as we are in Lawrence. I'm thinking a Big XII north title and a third straight bowl win are reasonable goals to start with. We'll see where we go from here.

David Hall 11 years, 4 months ago

i think ku football team next year will be good if they do not have ininjuries next year

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 11 years, 4 months ago

osagefire209 ----- What is up with your jayhawk head in a wildcat logo? I'm completely baffled on that one.

kuwillkillit 11 years, 4 months ago

Just wonderin what our chances of getting Wingo at RB is lookn like, he looks pretty good. I love the gound n pound and kansas has not had that for a while. Were pretty solid on O but a great ground game would be awesome. Any thoughts?

rockchalk_dpu 11 years, 4 months ago

kuwillkillit,I don't know much about Wingo, but if you read this article http://www2.kusports.com/news/2008/dec/24/four-star-fullback-commits-ku/?football you will see that we already have signed a very solid running back for next year. As the article says, Toben Opurum is 6' 2", 229 and was recruited heavily by some really good schools like Florida, but they wanted to use him as a blocking back, not in the B-Mac role he will probably fill at KU. He could definitely add a new dimension to our ground game, giving us a new version of the "smash and dash" that we had with B-Mac and Sharp last season. This guy sounds like a horse with a great motor and a really good recruit for Mangino and his staff to build from.RCJGKU

Lance Hobson 11 years, 4 months ago

Man, the Big 12 really took a hard hit with TT's loss today. The SEC has a great argument that they are the best conference this year. Since Texas is not in the title game we're looking at another humiliating bowl performance by OU and more SEC bragging rights. OU can't stop anyone, and Urban Meyer always finds a way to win when you give him time. Stoops can't even keep his players from getting arrested while getting pounded by Boise State and WV. Terrible.

Tony Bandle 11 years, 4 months ago

Life is too short to think anything is impossible...just the sheer joy of anticipation this team and coaching staff brings to us is a miracle in itself. 2009 National Champions???.....Why not....why the helll not!!! Mizzou expected it ..we Jayhawks know better. We know you have to earn it!!!!!We are forced to be realistic throughout our entire lives...just once, believe in the miracle. It Can Happen!!!

Jeff Kilgore 11 years, 4 months ago

Strike, the TT loss wasn't good, but if UT and OU win, who cares? We'll have the National Championship back in the Midwest, with KU's bball win. All the "experts" pick Florida. We'll see.

Jeff Kilgore 11 years, 4 months ago

You're right, Oak. Utah 28-17 over Bama proves that if the kids and their coaches believe, anything is possible. You must have a potent offense. Check. Good coaching. Check. Check. A stellar defense. It might come together! Believe in '09!

kuwillkillit 11 years, 4 months ago

Thanks rockchalk never saw that article. He sounds like a good guy and likes what KU has to offer. 6' 2 sounds huge for a RB, alot to grab onto. Sounds more linebackerish to me but ill leave that to Mangino and Co.

Hawkish4bigM 11 years, 4 months ago

Next year should be a very good season. I like having OU in Lawrence. We played them tough this year. NU in Lawrence. Harrell gone. Texas and OU will be the toughest games and one of those is at home. I am getting more optomistic by the minute.

100 11 years, 4 months ago

If we do win the North, we have to step up to the plate in Dallas. The North's best chance to win that Big12 title for years to come could be next year. The D is the key. We need a big time linebacker or 2. Paging the ghost of Willie Pless...

railer1122 11 years, 4 months ago

Hawkish, remember that one of our toughest games was at home this year (Texas Tech) and that was a 42 point beatdown. We should lose 2 games I think next year. OU at home and Texas on the road. We will beat Tech and beat Misery by 17. I just hope these guys don't get too cocky, but Mangino is good at keeping level heads. After a 2 loss season and a loss in the Big XII title game, we will go to the Cotton Bowl and play LSU. Briscoe and Stuckey will be All-Americans. Joc Crawford and Jake Sharp will come close to 1,000 yards each. Reesing will be in Heisman contention for a while, but will fall out after trying to overdue things in his native city against Texas. Will try to do too much. Our LB's will be the most surprising unit on our team. Quigley, Wright, and Springer will be fast and physical. Our secondary will be solid with Stuckey, Patterson, Thornton and Strozier or maybe Prinze Kande.

JBurtin 11 years, 4 months ago

Quigley will not start at linebacker. He simply won't have the experience to earn a starting spot in one year.Still, Springer and Wright should be studs for us, and there are plently of good players that could possibly fill the third starting spot.

jhawkshocker 11 years, 4 months ago

We do lose a significant number of players for next year. We do gain a significant number of new recruits for next year.We do have a significant number of returning players for next year.But.......one thing we do know for sure.......our COACH will return for next year.All of us can say the names of the new players coming and speculate abouttheir potential....but don't forget the established history of this COACH.....This time next year we will be touting the accomplishments of several playersthat no one here is even considering. WHY?Because this COACH has a history of getting production where it is not expected.I can't thank Mangino enough for giving me the opportunity to look forward to thenext year's team....something I've done now for 3 years.We have a coach that has already won the "Coach of the year award" and has thepotential to win it again.I know I've typed this before, but I'm going to again and again and again.......KU FANS---Fill Memorial Stadium for the Nebraska game next season

John Mueller 11 years, 4 months ago

Anybody watch Ole Miss destroy the Red Raiders yesterday?It's about the d-line. Graham was running for his life all day loooong.To be sure, there were a few backer/corner blitzes but there were a lot of big ol d-lineman collapsing the pocket, moving the los backwards into his face and knocking him down.You give me 2 or 3 nfl caliber d lineman and I'll give you back a Big 12 championship.

Dyrk Dugan 11 years, 4 months ago

springtx,good post. that is exactly right....if we improve both of our lines next year...and the d line especially..then we'll be in the Big 12 title game.

Pbbut 11 years, 4 months ago

Some groups of people I'd like to thank for the improvement in the football program are the athletic adminstration, university leadership, and the bill-paying alumni. Look at the most successful programs around the country and you'll find consistency at the head coach position. You find the right one, you've got to keep him. Lew and the alums have given Mangino the facilities, the issues with Memorial notwithstanding, and he has slowly and steadily improved the program. Adding depth, then adding quality depth, improvement at the position coaches level, hitting gold where it wasn't supposed to be in guys like Reesing and Talib. He's gone about it in a very workmanlike manner and is to be commended for it. All that said, I can still bitch about the play selection sometimes, can't I?Rock Chalk!!

Dirk Medema 11 years, 4 months ago

The most encouraging quote so far I believe came from Kerry in one of the first articles after the Insight victory - "we know we let a lot of opportunities get away from us this year." That to me indicates a hungry FB team.Unfortunately, we still have to travel to Lubbock (TT w/ or w/o Harrel is as relevant as the last QB that lit things up down there) & Austin, plus play OU at home. We could easily sweep the North and still end up not making it to the B12 CG. That is fine with me also, as long as they guys continue to develop on and off the field.My hope for '09 is that Todd passes for 300+ in the first 3/4 of each of the first 6 games and gives the '10 QB some reps (same for the other positions). My other hope at this point is that we schedule a couple decent NC opponents in '10 so that we don't have to listen to the cupcake schedule crap again, and so that the '10 team is more prepared than the '07 team for their first quality opponent.Rock Chalk

GrayHawker 11 years, 4 months ago

Thorson has already been playing center this season as Cantrell's backup.The only sure thing for the OL at the other spots is that Spikes will be an OT and Hatch will start.There will be lots of competition for the other two spots and at least two (Capra and Lueken) played a fair amount this season already.Many hope John Williams is healthy and able to compete because of his size (6'4"/325) on the interior could be a wall of protection and a road grader for Sharp.

okiedave 11 years, 4 months ago

I did not get a chance to watch the TT game, but listened from work on the radio. The radio announcers kept talking about how the key to the Ol' Miss defense was man to man coverage in the secondary and the confidence that the secondary had in taking on the TT receivers in single man coverage. This in turn allowed for the more pressure on the QB from linebackers and defensive ends.Hopefully, next year our secondary will have the experience and confidence to not have to rely on zone coverage which does not work against a five star quarterback who picks you apart when he has all day to survey the landscape. Pressure a five star quarterback and he becomes a three star quarterback.-- case in point is Ol' Miss. interceptions in singleman coverage and Utah's dismantling of a first class Alabama. TT, O.U., M.U. and U.T. will have four and five star quarterbacks next year, but K.U. can beat them if the coaches look at what works and sticks with it. We can win the conference if we have the swagger.

rolo2383 11 years, 4 months ago

Utah's D-line lived in Alabama's backfield. I don't follow Utah recruiting but I can't imagine they get classes that are much better than ours. We need to find more McClinton's.If I'm not mistaken OU loses all five offensive linemen next year. Maybe four of five but even OU will have trouble replacing five starters.I think we sweep the north and win one from the south.

John Mueller 11 years, 4 months ago

okiedave,Agree that if you have guys who can cover in man to man, it allows you an extra rusher. But unless you have NFL corners covering college players, nobody can cover a spread offense for longer than 3 or 4 seconds.You've got to have that qb dancing like he's getting ready to lose his spleen.The only sustainable way to do that during a game is to have maulers (lineman) in his grill all day long. No pocket, no way to get around the edge, got to throw it now or i die. you watch the tape. Graham Harrell looked like he couldn't think fast enough, like he was panicking.Now, it easier said than done. I'm sure Mangino tries to get them every year. Not sure how much of an emphasis it is, but I don't think we teaching him anything about football here.I just hope we can land a few McClintons because they can be difference makers.

Rickyoku 11 years, 4 months ago

With the 2008 Kansas University Football team going 8-5 Insight Bowl win the BIG XII North preseason should look like this...1. Kansas2. Nebraska3. Missouri4. Colorado5. K-State6. Iowa Stateand with home games vs Oklahoma and Nebraska now something to chat about ALL summer long. See everyone on the HILL September 2009.

Dillon Davis 11 years, 4 months ago

We definitely should b the favorites to win the north next year and top 3 or 4 to win the Big 12. We have the major offensive scoring components coming back next year in meier, reesing, briscoe, and sharp. plus a 4 star RB toben opurum coming in and 2 big 3 star receivers we just picked up today! We should definitely win the north next year.