Friday, February 27, 2009

Gary Bedore’s KU basketball notebook

Journal-World sports editor Tom Keegan and KUSports.com online editor Jesse Newell take a look at what to expect during Sunday's Kansas vs. Missouri game at Allen Fieldhouse.

Bill Self press conference, February 26

Bill Self talks to the media on February 26, 2009.

Kansas prepares for Missouri rematch

Bill Self's squad hopes to avenge its loss against Missouri in a repeat matchup on Sunday.

McHale comparisons?

Some analysts have compared Kansas University’s Cole Aldrich to former NBA great Kevin McHale.

“Well, they are both tall, they are both white, and they are both from Minnesota so there’s obviously some similarities, and both have funky shots,” KU coach Bill Self said with a laugh.

“So there are four similarities. He doesn’t quite have the footwork McHale had in his heyday. Cole does have pretty good feet for a guy as young as he is.”

Aldrich said the comparisons are “flattering.”

“(McHale) is a legend back home. He is a big-time player back home for the University of Minnesota,” said Aldrich, a native of Bloomington, Minn. “It is really great to be compared to him in smaller aspects of my game. I aspire every day to be half the player he was. He was unbelievable.”

Aldrich was asked again Thursday if he’s thinking about entering the NBA Draft after this season.

“I don’t think about that at all,” he said. “I’m more worried about Missouri and the pressure (attack) coming in here on Sunday. I’m worried about all sorts of different things, the way we can be successful on Sunday, playing Texas Tech on Wednesday, then finishing with Senior Night against Texas on Saturday.”

Proud Collins

Self congratulated Sherron Collins after his 26-point outburst, which included three late threes Monday at Oklahoma.

“I told Sherron, ‘Down the stretch, that’s as good as I’ve seen you.’ The first thing out of his mouth was, ‘How good was the freshman (Tyshawn Taylor, 26 points)?’’’ Self related.

“Sherron is taking great pride in helping (Taylor) along.”

Late in half

KU has scored in the final three seconds of the half 14 times in 28 games.

“Part of it is luck, part of it is doing good things,” Self said. “A lot of it is guys just stepping up and making plays. We’ve been able to score several times twice in the last minute. That can be a four- or five-point swing in 60 seconds. You feel pretty good about yourself going into halftime when that happens.”

Robertson award

KU’s Collins on Thursday was named a finalist for the Oscar Robertson Trophy, which goes to college basketball’s player of the year. Other finalists: DeJuan Blair, Dante Cunningham, Stephen Curry, Tyreke Evans, Blake Griffin, Tyler Hansbrough, Luke Harangody, James Harden, Ty Lawson, Jerel McNeal, Jodie Meeks, Hasheem Thabeet, Jeff Teague and Evan Turner.

Comments

jaybate 10 years, 7 months ago

For persons debating whether Sherron will jump (and I am among those who think he will), here is one problem he faces.

D.J. Augustin, the UT shorty who LB drafted in the first round last, has been a let down.

I think Sherronatron would perform much better in the NBA than Augustin, for I always thought Augustin was overrated at UT. Frankly, I was dumbfounded that LB took him. But then LB has never evidenced overwhelming drafting genius during his years in the NBA. He has rather shown a genius for identifying teams with some existing underutilized talent, and a fairly shrewd appreciation for veterans on other NBA teams who could be picked up and play the game his way. But I digress.

Back to Sherron and the leagues take on him.

The league's many dysfunctional franchises not only draft tall guys on potential, they also draft short guys based on whether there has been a recent short guy who was successful or not.

With Augustin fresh in GMs minds this year, that is going to be a strike against Sherron, regardless of how he plays the rest of the way.

jaybate 10 years, 7 months ago

Cole vs. Kevin...

Kevin was a 4.

Cole is a 5.

End of comparison unless Cole shows some signs of 4-ness I haven't seen yet.

hometownhawk 10 years, 7 months ago

If Augustin was overrated at UT, how do you explain them being an outstanding, top 10 team last year and a bubble team this year?

Dale Kroening 10 years, 7 months ago

Sherron will be the starting point guard of our National Champion Jayhawks next season. You still think he goes if he's not expected to be a 1st rd pick Jaybate? Do some draft research and youll see there are a lot of players ahead of him. He's rated 81st in the NBA's top 100 draft prospects and not listed even once in the 1st round of ANY mock draft thats out there. He's listed as the 21st best junior. Dont get me wrong SC is one of my favorite players, and I think he's underrated, but with that being said he comes back and improves his stock to a mid to late 1st rounder after next season.

Trey Hohman 10 years, 7 months ago

Jaybate,

Recent short guy who's been successful in NBA,,,um,,,how about a shout out for a Nate Robinson comparison instead of DJ, " destined-for-summer-league in" August-in?.....Shake & Bake!!!!

All we need now is for Sherron to spot cheesy-dick Hollywood celebrity, Paul Rudd at a KU game & perhaps say, "There are 11 different types of sofas in this hotel room!!!" (Or whatever the heck he said after he took E in Vegas in the film, Knocked Up..)

Random thoughts.....Why wasn't Sean Penn or at least Charles Bronson a former KU student instead of Mr. Wonderful, guy smiley wimpy-boy Rudd?...Ugh.. I'd really love to punch him in his too cute, lilly-white, condescending mouth & then steal his wallet...

LebowskiUrbanAchiever 10 years, 7 months ago

lhohman3,

To your "Random thoughts".....Sean Penn or Charles Bronson...WOW. Give me a Paul Rudd comedy any day. Sounds like you have some pent up aggression.

How about Sherronatron though, he hits 3 clutch shots at the end of the game HCBS congratulates him and he says, "how good was the freshman" I LOVE IT.

Hope he's back next year to lead a more experienced jayhawk team and prove why he should be a top pick in the 2010 draft.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 7 months ago

Short guys are a dime a dozen. Collins has been effective within himself, not so much as a team player. He is a slasher and loves the opportunity to pile on personal stats. I don't believe one of those stats, however, is assists, more than other point guards we have had in the past. Prime example, Hinrich. How many times does anybody remember Collins being the instigator of an alley-oop? Chalmers made himself and others look good while thinking Team First. Some of those points referenced in this article were Sheron showboating with a good lead in the final minute and seconds.

Don't get me wrong, I am greatful for his contribution overall. But, he would need to face the reality of his selfishness as well as his tendency to run faster than his feet are capable of keeping him upright before he would be an asset rather than a libility to any NBA tem.

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 7 months ago

i think Sherron will come back. we'll have a nice run this year, and next year, to enjoy a senior season, he'll come back to make a BIG run. especially with the guys coming in, and all the experience we'll have.

hawkitup 10 years, 7 months ago

Sherron isn't a team player? Are you kidding me? Instigator of alley-oops? Yes, I have seen him throwing plenty of alley-oops. Is your memory so short that you don't remember last season? Sherron Collins IS a team player and to say he isn't just because he has had to shoulder a lot more of the load this season is ridiculous.

David Howell 10 years, 7 months ago

I want Sherron back for his senior year, if, he continues to involve his teammates and not do it all himself. A true leader knows when he needs to put the team on his back or let another hot hand take over. Great finish to the OU game SC. It will be hard to top that one ..........

Hometownhawk,

Regarding Augustin and Texas. Success in college doesn't always equate to success in the NBA. Was Texas over-coached or over-achievers in 2008 versus 2009 ? They have a lot of talent and scare me a lot. I wish we'd played them in the middle of the Big 12 season instead of the last game (one Texas may need to get over the bubble).

But first we have Misery on Sunday !!! Something tells me they will be whistled for more fouls in AFH then they were in Columbia.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 7 months ago

I think Sherron's comment about Taylor (while deflecting Self's praise) says a lot about his team-first mentality.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 7 months ago

Yep, if Mizzou was shaken by nerves (supposedly) at the start of that game in Columbia, they better look out in AFH!!!

jayhawkintexas 10 years, 7 months ago

Sherron needs to improve his ball handling before he is a NBA draft pick. His assists to turnovers ratio isn;t that good and he needs another year to improve his ball handling skills before the NBA is going to draft him. You have to love his heart and toughness but that's not enough to get into the league.

slowplay 10 years, 7 months ago

I agree with jayhawkintexas, the NBA will draft the "bigs" on potential and the "smalls" on immediate impact. That said, he is getting some PR and if KU makes a run his stock will go up.

cklarock 10 years, 7 months ago

Sherron has a long career getting paid to play ahead of him. Obviously, we all want that career to be in the NBA. My personal belief is that he has the physical and mental tools he'll need to make that happen.

One thing that has absolutely blown me away about Sherron this season has been how actively he's taken on the leadership role. We saw it early in the season when he was more like a stage director than a point guard, literally telling his new Jayhawks where to move, when to cut, etc. We've seen it throughout the year when KU needed baskets during a crucial stretch and Sherron stepped up. We saw it when he told coach, "you shouldn't have to coach effort -- that's my job." We saw it against Oklahoma on Monday when he took over the game and drove us on to a win.

We're seeing it right now when the pride he takes in Tyshawn's progress outstrips his pride in his own amazing performance.

This team is in the driver's seat for another Big 12 championship because of Sherron. Full stop.

Sherron's 3-point rain vs. Oklahoma was one of those performances that I will remember alongside Collison's 23 rebounds vs. Texas, Mario's multiple daggers vs. Texas in the Big 12 tournament and Paul Pierce taking over at Oklahoma.

PAHAWK1 10 years, 7 months ago

For the past few weeks, KU has been ranked in the top 25 and have been playing well on the national television. SC has been lighting up and being noticed by the media lately. If he continues his recent streak of 20+ points and solid all round play (including leadership qualities), KU will make a deep run in the tournament. There is a good chance that he will be 2nd or 3rd team all-American and a definite 1st team Big-12. All of the above will propel his stock in March and April thro' the roof. By April, he will be projected a late 1st rounder (in that case he will leave).

Jory Collins 10 years, 7 months ago

WOW! This team is way ahead of where most people predicted, that is all because of Sherron Collins and the emergence of Cole. Need so improve his ball handling??? WTF? If you're talking turnovers, yes, he turns it over. But, look at whats expected of him. He has to make so many plays during the game he's gonna turn it over. None of the other guards can create their own shot, let alone for someone else (Tyshawn occasionaly). Collins makes the team go, plain and simple. With that kind of responsibility comes some turnovers and bad stretches. He's playing with 7 guys who got zero playing time last year.

In Big 12 play, he top 5 in scoring, assists, 3pt FG%, FT %, and minutes played! Not sure what more you could ask. Would he have less turnovers and be more under control next year? Probably, but would that have to do with a year of maturity or that he's surrounded by better players and players with a lot more experience?

WilburNether 10 years, 7 months ago

The assertion that Augustin was overrated at Texas is preposterous. Anyone who was paying attention saw that the turning point and determining factor in KU's win over Texas in the Big 12 championship game was the point when Augustin finally ran out of gas, after doing much of the scoring and almost all of the ball-handling for three straight days.

Just because he has not set the NBA on fire does not mean that he was not a great college player.

FlaHawk 10 years, 7 months ago

Sherron is some what of a liability on defense. As quick as he is, it does not translate to steals or opponet turnovers. Both Chalmers and Robinson last year were much better on defense and this is why Sherron never could crack the starting line up.

How much the NBA values defense is a good question. Sherron, in the NBA could be a 10 ppg player, but if he gives up 20 ppg then he is a liability.

I am very grateful that he has not been injured this year as he was developing a reputation for being injury prone.A 82 game NBA season with 20-30 playoff games can be a real grind on the body!i

I hope he comes back as the KU team needs him!

Go HAWKS!

RyanHawk 10 years, 7 months ago

jaybate?????????

Augustin hasn't been a disappointment this year in the NBA he averages 12pt & 4 assists a game in 29 minutes playing behind Felton you just don't here about him because he plays for the Bobcats!

Chalmers # 10pts & 4.6 assists a game in 31 minutes Rose # 16.5pts & 6.5 assists a game in 35 minutes

Augustin averages just about the same as the other top 2 point guards in last years draft!!

Augustin and Lawson are better pure point guards then Sherron. Thats why Lawson will be a lottery pick and Sherron will be a late first round at best! I think it will take Sherron time in the NBA but he compares well to Jameer Nelson (All Star this year) and Nate Robinson who have both had great seasons this year in the NBA. He can't jump like Nate Robinson but he can play his kind of game. Just has to be in the right system!

Any KU homer that wants to bag on me saying Lawson is a better pure point guard then Sherron I'm just saying what 95% of the NBA scouts think! I love Sherron and hope that he stays at KU and cuts down some more nets!

jaybate 10 years, 7 months ago

hometownhawk,

I don't see the contradiction you try to assert.

There are top ten teams with PGs that are not overrated and not drafted in the first round.

There are bubble teams this year with PGs that are not overrated and will not be drafted in the first round this year.

Where is the contradiction?

Augustin was a ood D1 PG on a very good Texas team. It does not follow necessarily that he should have been drafted in the first round.

I say he was overrated in college, because he was never able to carry a team with a ton of talent all that far. Had he been as good as everyone said, and had the talent that he in fact had to play with, they would have gone farther.

jaybate 10 years, 7 months ago

RyanHawk,

You certainly make a good case and I want you for my negotiator. I did not realize that other first round PGs had faired no better.

One thought: perhaps those that have fared no better, are also perhaps let downs.

Another thought: Chalmers is not a let down, because he was drafted so low. Rose is producing about what you would hope for from a high draft choice. Augustin? He's doing better than I expected him to do, but LB took him waaaaaaaaaaay high and I still think that for how high he was taken, he is not that productive. I mean, basically, Augustin is producing Chalmers numbers, playing less, while being drafted waaaaaaay higher. Chalmers team is getting a much better deal IMHO.

jaybate 10 years, 7 months ago

lhohman3,

I did not know that Charlie Bronson was one of ours, if only briefly. Was he kicked out for whacking some teachers for bad grades, or something? :-)

Good counter on Nate R.

Maybe Sherronatron will not have this strike against him.

jaybate 10 years, 7 months ago

WilburNether,

Preposterous? That's imposserus.

Just because Texas's team got worse in a game against KU when Augustin ran out of gas, does not mean that he is rated correctly. In fact, I cannot see the connection at all.

jaybate 10 years, 7 months ago

cap10d,

If drafting were entirely determined by mock drafts and pre draft assessments of rank, then I would have to concede this point to you.

But I just don't think all of the GMs in the NBA are stupid sheep--only most of them. :-)

So: since Sherron looks and plays and quacks like an exceptional PG duck to me, despite his limitations, I have to conclude that the few non-sheep GMs (I'm just mixing metaphors right and left) can see this too. In turn, I have to suspect that some of the non-sheep GMs will take him much earlier than presently forecast.

Last season, the forecasts kept underrating Brandon Rush and I just knew that some smart GM had to see how much Brandon had to bring to the table. One did and drafted him higher than was forecast for much of the season, so he could trade Brandon around to other smart GMs.

Now it is true that Brandon has not lit the league on fire this year.

But all you can do, in a rational sense, is draft a guy based on his tools and hope for the best.

To not draft a guy with the tools makes one a sheep.

KUbsee69 10 years, 7 months ago

Penn, Bronson??? Penn's a jailbird jerk ("I was brought up in a country that relished fear-based religion, corrupt government and an entire white population living on stolen property that they murdered for and that is passed on from generation to generation") who would have had a hard time navigating the halls of a high school. Charles Bronson is dead and never finished school. How could anyone wish for them to be spokesmen for KU, unless you're looking for undereducated tough guys.

Remember who did the network lead-in for the Orange Bowl ... Don Johnson, who attended KU when I did. Don's a nice guy, a KU fan, and makes a good spokesman. His best friend was an old high school friend of mine, who went on to win an Academy Award. I'll let you guess who that is (not an actor).

Or how about Bob Dole, who also was in the pre-Orange Bowl telecast and is a former KU basketball player. Quite a wit, too.

Now those are spokesmen!

RyanHawk 10 years, 7 months ago

Jaybate,

Chalmers slip last year in the draft was ridiculous and he should of been drafted higher. Also, the Miami Heat are paying him first round money and gave up a couple future second round picks to get him from what ever team drafted him. Although, I agree that Augustine was drafted maybe a little high you have to draft on need and I guess Larry Brown felt they needed a PG even though they already had Felton who is a free agent at the end of the year I'm pretty sure.

jaybate 10 years, 7 months ago

RyanHawk,

My recollection is that Chalmers draft rank was pretty low all season long; then bobbed way up on the heels of the tournament; then pretty much settled back to what it had been during the season. Correct me if I am wrong here.

kvskubball 10 years, 7 months ago

jaybate,

Augustin and Chalmers pro situations are totally different. Chalmers is the man on the Heat and has no PT restrictions or limitations other than relating to his personal ability. Augustin as noted by RyanHawk above is playing behind Felton. His minutes are limited and probably his playing situations are inconsistent, which would make it difficult to be consistent and achieve at his highest level. Also, you are being premature in your judgment of any of the first year's players pro careers. If Augustin's numbers go up slightly each year, will he be less of a disappointment than Hinrich? Hinrich was a great college player, but his pro team just drafted a PG as the #1 pick and is starting him over Hinrich.

I try to be a little more gracious to our competitors, btw. I'd say taking his team to the Elite 8 doesn't show that Augustin under-performed at UT...The tourney is a crapshoot and UT's team last year was pretty dog-gone good. They gave our NC team all it could handle twice, as I recall. As was mentioned earlier, Augustin ran out of gas sometimes last year, as Sherron has this year, and UT as a team ran out of gas against Memphis or they could have potentially been facing us in the NC game. And Augustin left after his sophomore year, which means this year he is probably the same age as Sherron, playing against consistently better competition, thus the term - 'pros'. I'd say that his professional potential is still unknown.

Also, I'm glad you clarified your thinking on the pro basketball GM's abilities, because your first post above made it seem that you thought they were a bunch of morons who couldn't see beyond a single player comparison between Sherron and Augustin...

Also, wasn't McHale a post man in college? I think he was a center in college...And even if he wasn't the difference between 4 and 5 in the pros isn't always very great, with coaches playing centers as PF and vice-versa or doubling up with two of one or the other. So, I think that the comparison has some merit and shouldn't be completely dismissed, other than we see the finished product of McHale's career and we can only speculate on Cole's future and what his statistics and pro position might be. A pro-team that plays high-low or as you like to call it down the middle could certainly use him either as the post feeder or as the post man...

What say you, antithetical man?

RyanHawk 10 years, 7 months ago

jaybate,

He was on the border first round most of the season but because of the tournament and his workouts after the season he had jumped into the middle of the first round by most experts. The highest I ever saw him in a mock draft was #9 or #12. It had him going before Rush and I remember talking to my wife about that we couldn't believe he was going that high. By draft night most people thought he was a First round lock! He should of been in the first round and I would of drafted him higher then Rush because he can do everything that Rush can do and handle the ball. He just isn't as tall!

kvskubball 10 years, 7 months ago

Ryan...

I don't know that I agree that Mario can do everything that Rush can do. Rush has some qualities to his game that are IMO special and perhaps super. He has the MJ-like ability to seem to go into slow-mo at times on his O moves, and I think he is a better lock-down defender while Mario has great hands and anticipation and is probably the better shooter at this point in his career. As to which will be the better pro, or who fits his pro position best, I do give the nod to Mario. Two great flavors, but different flavors, IMO...

As to whether or not Mario should have been a first rounder, go no further than the last pick in the first round, someone we are slighty familiar with....Yes, Mario deserved to be a first rounder, IMO. I also agree with you that the Heat have treated Mario as a first rounder. Their recent trade sent perhaps their best backup pg to another team. You only do that if you think you have someone who can perform.

alisher 10 years, 7 months ago

Mario had skills that could help a team out right away, such as his incredible ability to go after the ball; as his 1.9 steals on the season attest to. I think Rush will need time to develop into a solid spot up option for the Pacers and maybe, just maybe learn to dribble drive(watching highlights of him in high school making guys look silly with his dribble amazes me he never reached his full potential in that department in college).

As for Mario falling so far in last year's draft, last year was a deep draft for point guards and Chalmers was didn't fit the mold of a "proto PG," he's learning and learning well to play that position but guys like Wesbrook and Augustin were much more adept at playing PG coming out of college.

Augustin has stepped up as a strong sixth man for the 'Cats, dropping 12.4 points, 4.3 assists, and 1.5 threes per game at a clip of 40.4%; his free throw shooting has been brilliant at 92.2% on 3.3 attempts per game, ranking sixth in free throw percentage among ALL players. I don't think he's underperformed at all. Mario has put up lesser numbers while at times playing WAY too aggressive, putting up 19 fouls in the last four games(his steals are money for my fantasy team though).

I say Sherron stays, way to erratic and at times has no idea how to run the point.

kvskubball 10 years, 7 months ago

Well, I looked it up and I was wrong, I couldn't believe that McHale wasn't a C at Minn.

McHale was listed as a PF in college according to the Wiki...but on the other hand they did mention that he was noted as a pro for his many around the basket offensive moves, which to me still means that a comparison between him and Cole, though currently quite a stretch, may not been seen as such after Cole's playing days are over. Time will tell!

Chris Shaw 10 years, 7 months ago

I have to agree with Ryan Hawk about DJ Augustine. I have season tickets to the Bobcats and DJ has come on since Larry Brown changed up his lineup and made those trades. DJ plays a lot with Raymond Felton in a very short, but somewhat productive backcourt. I'm not a Raymond Felton fan and the Bobcats aren't that good, but they have done better since Larry Brown has been playing those two at the same time. LB is a heck of a coach and gets a lot out of what he is dealt with. People here in Charlotte like DJ and wish they would have gotten rid of Raymond Felton and we're in the Carolinas. It's crazy! Do well for the Tar heels and they love ya, but after that nobody cares. LOL!

Trey Hohman 10 years, 7 months ago

jwliddell

I am sorry for making you so mad, but I simply hate his films & his smug face & I am sorry but I am not overly impressed about his story of "fighting" to wear a baseball hat in some silly film. -- Mickey Rourke fighting for his career & getting the role of a lifetime might be a better story than Paul & his KU hat, in my humble opinion...
He is a professional & highly popular actor & with that, I am sure he can handle a little bit of criticism, don't you think?....Coincidentally, I also still like Joaquin Phoenix, even after making public his strange ambitions for an R&B album. Because after seeing "Two Lovers" he's the closest thing to Brando, whereas Rudd is the closest thing to Charles Grodin or Rob Lowe & I am now assuming that my attempts at having an objective opinion regarding the subject of style might make me a sadist in your eyes, due to the fact that Paul is such a great hat-wearing human-being.

It's certainly not my fault, or makes me any more of a douchebag, (which I'm sure that I am at times) that he dresses like he's still 16 and talks like he's 21, while considering the fact that he has got to be pushing 40 pretty soon. I just find it all a little too neat & clean & smug for an actor, is all I wanted to say in my failed attempt at biting, humor. But I certainly wasn't trying to insight a riot against his adoring fan-club.

KUbsee69, Bob Dole & Don Johnson as great spokesmen for KU? -- You know who else would have been a great spokensmen for the Hawks based on your line of thought? Susan Sommers, the creators of 'Survivor" & congressman, Larry Craig & Emeril John Lagasse...Sorry, but c'mon.
(I cannot think of anyone besides William Inge or Robert Altman who won an academy award who wasn't an actor & from KS, though, hmm? You have got me spinning now)

KUbsee69 10 years, 7 months ago

ihohman3:

Bob Dole and Don Johnson both went to KU. How could you possibly compare them with Suzanne Somers (incorrectly referenced as Susan Sommers) etal. Sorry, but you c'mon. Obviously the network agreed with me during the Orange Bowl.

Also, you're not even close on the Academy Award winner. Keep digging (and spinning).

Trey Hohman 10 years, 7 months ago

KUbee69

Susan Somers vs. Don Johnson, e.g. Talent-wise, it's a dead-heat? When Miami Vice was popular, I wanted to be D.J. at the age of 9 & Susan Somers I wanted to see in Palyboy magazine at the age of 7, so I call this a virtual draw...Mr. Johnson seems like a very nice man though & I have many trips to the JC Penny's white-suit-clearance-rack during my adolescence to thank him for.

....Did Del Close win an Academy Award?

And lastly about Paul Rudd, I honestly loved him in a little film called, "The Shape of Things." & thought he could have been more like Jack Lemmon instead of Jack Johnson..Okay, I have said my peace about pretty, poor Paul Rudd. (who's last film grossed over $100 Million, fyi, so cry me a river..)

Best actors coming from the state of KS in order of pure talent: Buster Keaton Dennis Hopper Chris Cooper, Annette Bening Del Close (invented comedy improv) Hattie McDaniel Ed Asner Paul Rudd

jco8394 10 years, 7 months ago

Really have you never seen Anchorman?

60% of the time it works everytime

Trey Hohman 10 years, 7 months ago

I have seen Anchorman & the commentary of Will Ferrel having a skat-contest against Lou Rawls is amazing, but 1000 other people could have played Paul's role..He's about half as funny as Steve Carrell in that movie & Steve is barely in it......

jackhawk99 10 years, 7 months ago

KUbsee69, the quote, "I was brought up in a country that relished fear-based religion, corrupt government and an entire white population living on stolen property that they murdered for and that is passed on from generation to generation" - is this a quote from Sean Penn? If Sean Penn did say this, then hats off to him. His quote is a much more accurate historical account of America than anything we were taught in school.

Even so, I agree that Paul Rudd would be a much better spokesperson for KU than Sean Penn or Charles Bronson. Paul Rudd is a talented, funny and down-to-earth guy.

jackhawk99 10 years, 7 months ago

lhohman3, I don't think Paul Rudd has any fantasies of being the next Brando. He does his thing and does it well. Not everybody has to be so serious and deep. Everything has it's place.

Did Paul steal your girlfriend or something?

Trey Hohman 10 years, 7 months ago

Jackhawk99

The whole Paul Rudd comments came out of an original joke about a Nate Robinson comparison to Sherron Collins...Nate quoting movie roles of Will Ferrell at Madison Square Garden last week & then imagining Sherron meeting a famous movie-star KU alum & thus doing the same thing, e.g. Paul Rudd....Then I went on about how I am not a fan. But I do understand that in American Cinema everyone has a right to be entertained, whether it's a Brando film, Dancing With the Stars, or the latest Paul Rudd comedy installment.....And yes, that a-hole did steal my girlfriend.....(not true)

Most likely I am just plain mad because as a KU alum, I think he is riding solely on his natural charm while using only 25% of his talent & this bothers me & makes me like him less and less in every film...It's basically the same contempt I feel for Steve Martin now...You know he's capable of more but he doesn't care enough to even try & it's insulting.

jaybate 10 years, 7 months ago

I can't believe you guys are debating Kansas film stars and you're leaving out Louise Brooks. Louis Brooks was one of the most hauntingly beautiful and provocative movie stars of all time. Actresses and models have been immitating and paying homage to her for half a century or more. Click this link to see the woman who preceded all of them. http://images.google.com/images?q=Louise+Brooks&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=SAaqSaWwO4HwsAOk7rHkDw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

And more prosaically, there's also Vera Miles and Kirstie Alley.

jackhawk99 10 years, 7 months ago

lhohman3, Well put. And I agree about Steve Martin. I'm waiting for him to come back down and find himself again.

Oh yeah, this is a Jayhawk Basketball thread. Didn't Steve Martin play point guard back in '68-'72:)