Wednesday, February 25, 2009

KU women break road skid, top OSU, 67-52

Kansas University’s Porscha Weddington chases the ball between Oklahoma State’s Shyvon Spears (40) and Tegan Cunningham. The Jayhawks beat the Cowgirls, 67-52, Wednesday in Stillwater, Okla.

Jayhawks snap road losing streak, rout OSU

Danielle McCray scored 30 points on 9-for-13 shooting, helping the Kansas women snap a 14-game road conference losing streak in a 67-52 victory over Oklahoma State in Stillwater, Okla.

— The streak is dead. Long live the streak.

Kansas University’s women’s basketball team, which had lost 14 straight Big 12 Conference road games, ended that skid — and prolonged Oklahoma State’s home losing streak — with a 67-52 victory Wednesday over OSU at Gallagher-Iba Arena.

Danielle McCray led the Jayhawks with a career-high-tying 30 points, and she contributed 13 rebounds.

“Danielle was just borderline unbelievable,” KU coach Bonnie Henrickson said.

KU’s last league road victory came in the 2006-07 season finale at Missouri. The Jayhawks were 0-8 on the road in conference last season and 0-6 so far this season.

OSU, meanwhile, has lost six straight at home.

“The kids deserve credit for having great focus and concentration coming in here,” Henrickson said.

The Jayhawks (15-11 overall, 4-9 Big 12) were especially impressive down the stretch, making nine of 12 free throws in the final three minutes and scoring the game’s final 13 points.

OSU, which was led by Big 12 scoring leader Andrea Riley’s 18 points, fell to 15-11 and 4-9.

Riley came in averaging 24 points per game. She connected on just seven of 28 field-goal attempts.

A Riley basket and free throw tied the game at 38 with 12:56 to play. Over the next six minutes, Kansas went on a 14-4 run to forge a 10-point lead at 52-42. McCray scored seven points during the run, while Nicollette Smith tossed in five.

After an OSU timeout, the Cowgirls held Kansas scoreless for just under four minutes, clawing back within two points at 52-50, but McCray knocked down two free throws with 3:25 to play to stop the OSU comeback.

The 30-point, 13-rebound performance marked McCray's second-straight double-double and the sixth of the season.

Comments

jco8394 12 years, 1 month ago

WOW...all I can say....WOW! WAY TO GO LADIES!!!!

Omegatron 12 years, 1 month ago

One game at a time. That's how you build confidence and momentum going into the Big 12 Tournament.

phogthedog 12 years, 1 month ago

You go girls. Way to play, wish I could have been there. See you Saturday!

truefan 12 years, 1 month ago

I can't wait to see these girls next year with a little more experience and a little more confidence.

MinnesotaJay 12 years, 1 month ago

I've been pulling for Bonnie and the team from afar for quite awhile. But, Saturday, I'll be in Allen Fieldhouse making lots of noise. Congratulations on the win (actually, the last two), and keep on Rockin'.

Andy Hess 12 years, 1 month ago

nicely done lady Jayhawks! very well done!

jayhawker_97 12 years, 1 month ago

McRay, thanks for stepping up and hopefully you & the team does not stop here. it's time to put KU women bball in highlights. get that confidence level higher - keep your eyes open, keep your heads up and keep winning!! go jayhawks!

Omegatron 12 years, 1 month ago

"I've been pulling for Bonnie and the team from afar for quite awhile. But, Saturday, I'll be in Allen Fieldhouse making lots of noise."

No one should be on the fence supporting from a far this late in the game. The girls need all the support they can get, especially after the rough season they've had so far. The only way to show that support is by being there in person cheering them on.

Several thousand people at a home game needs to be the norm, not a headline...

MinnesotaJay 12 years, 1 month ago

"No one should be on the fence supporting from a far this late in the game."

Omegatron 12 years, 1 month ago

"Pardon me, but if I didn't have to drive 500 miles to get to the games, I'd attend more often."

Just using your quote to maybe try to convince others to attend a game or two. Forgot to add a sentence to clarify. Got lost in the moment...

Omegatron 12 years, 1 month ago

... I'm just way to passionate about the women's basketball team.

MinnesotaJay 12 years, 1 month ago

You do make a good point. Especially considering that ticket prices for the women's games are so low, I'm surprised the games aren't better attended. If I lived in Lawrence, or even the area, I'd be a regular. For a lot of people (including me),j ust getting a good seat in Allen Fieldhouse would be a motivator.