Thursday, February 19, 2009

Home cookin’

KU wins return to Allen

Kansas center Cole Aldrich puts his arm around guard Sherron Collins as the two make their way from the floor late in the second half against  Iowa State Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2009 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas center Cole Aldrich puts his arm around guard Sherron Collins as the two make their way from the floor late in the second half against Iowa State Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2009 at Allen Fieldhouse.

KU overpowers ISU at Allen Fieldhouse

Kansas defeated Iowa State 72-55 and is now 21-5 overall. They are currently 10-1 in Big 12 play, one game behind conference leader Oklahoma.

Audio clips

2009 KU-ISU Feb. 18

To Cole Aldrich, it seemed like an eternity since Kansas University had played a game in much-beloved Allen Fieldhouse.

“We had what they call in the NBA a West Coast swing, where we were gone for a week and a half. It’s great to finally get back. Like they say, ‘There’s no place like home,’’’ sophomore center Aldrich said after scoring 22 points off 9-of-12 shooting and grabbing 11 rebounds in Wednesday’s 72-55 victory over Iowa State.

It marked KU’s first action in the tradition-rich building in 11 days. KU split games at Missouri and Kansas State following a Feb. 7 home victory over Oklahoma State.

“We get back here and have smiles on our faces. This is where we’ve got to win. We can’t let anybody come in our house and win,” said Aldrich, who has yet to lose a game in the fieldhouse.

Funny, but the Jayhawks (21-5 overall, 10-1 Big 12) didn’t act as if they were enthused to be home again Wednesday.

Bothered by the team’s lack of energy, an irate coach Bill Self made the team run penalty sprints at the day-of-the game shootaround session, normally reserved for leisurely shooting drills.

“That doesn’t happen very often,” Self said. “You can tell at shootaround if the guys are juiced because on game day you always fly higher than a non-game day. There was nobody flying around today. We tried to condition, to at least get something out of it today.”

Sherron Collins — he also scored 22 points off 9-of-17 shooting including four of six threes — wasn’t surprised KU’s coach disciplined the team at afternoon practice.

“I think we needed it. It was a wake-up call. It was kind of embarrassing,” Collins said of the Jayhawks’ effort.

“I don’t remember (him ever doing it before). There’s a first time for everything. But he did it with teams past. We took it and moved on. We were able to come out with energy.”

Indeed, the Jayhawks cruised to a 24-7 lead midway through the first half.

But lethargic play set in.

Iowa State (13-13, 2-9) outscored KU, 24-12, and trailed by just five, 36-31, with 17:45 to play. Failing to put away the Cyclones bothered Self.

“That was a really dead atmosphere tonight,” he said. “The crowd was dead. The team was dead. It (lack of energy) didn’t surprise me, but we could have easily cracked this game open earlier if we would have finished some easy plays.”

The Jayhawks did respond when it mattered most.

Aldrich scored 10 of KU’s 12 points in a 12-3 surge that upped a 43-38 lead (with 12:29 left) to 55-41 at 6:21. Aldrich scored 14 of KU’s last 29 points; Collins had nine of KU’s final 13 points.

“Sherron was great,” Aldrich said. “I think I had his five turnovers tonight.”

Aldrich suffered five turnovers against no assists, while point guard Collins had no turnovers, six assists.

“I thought it was Sherron’s game tonight,” Self said. “Even though he scored a lot of points late, he had six assists and no turnovers. He had a few steals. He played extremely well. He has been a guy that has shot well early at home and then not as well down the stretch. Tonight I think it was very good from a conditioning standpoint that he shot the ball better late than he did early.”

On the other side of the ball, the Morris twins led the charge defensively in guarding ISU standout Craig Brackins, who scored 20 points off 7-of-21 shooting. Brackins had 42 against KU earlier this season in Ames.

“He’s good,” Aldrich said of Brackins. Aldrich guarded the sophomore power forward down the stretch, just as he did in KU’s 15-point victory in Ames, Iowa. “All the guys that guard him will tell you he hits tough shots. We tried to limit his touches, but he’s so good offensively he’s going to get points.”

KU will meet Nebraska at 3 p.m. Saturday, in Allen Fieldhouse.

Self expects more energy from his team even with a huge game against Oklahoma coming up Monday in Norman, Okla.

“I don’t think our guys were as focused tonight. I think we’ll get ’em where they are excited to play,” Self said.

If that means extra running, well …

“We’ll be ready,” Aldrich said. “We know anybody in this league is capable of beating us.”

Comments

KUPROUD 5 years, 8 months ago

Efficient win, but one of those ho-hum games that have to be fought through. Watching on TV the crowd sure seemed dead for much of the game. Maybe they responded to the lack of energy of the players, or maybe it was the other way around. Whatever it was, it probably won't work for MU and Texas, and maybe Nebraska. Seemed like a lot of empty seats, too. It's been said often, but if ticket buyers don't want to come to the game make sure they get in the hands of someone who does. And if you do attend, put your blackberry down and get involved in the game with some noise. It really does make a difference to the team.

Matt Kenton 5 years, 8 months ago

I agree. And did anyone else notice the music being played over the PA system during timeouts? Nothing gets the crowd involved like a random hip hop song most have never heard before. And the band was there...were they short-handed or something?

keith horinek 5 years, 8 months ago

I thought the game was a little dead too. I also thought KU played at the same level as ISU. with that being said it's nice to have a team good enough to be able to do that. I think Cole and Sherron are the heartbeat of this team and the team reacts to what they do in a game. It's good to have a "quiet" game now and then. Nebraska will be up on saturday so we need to be up also. Also think KU is looking ahead to monday night a little bit.

Matt Kenton 5 years, 8 months ago

One more thing while I'm at it...

"Sher-RON Collins, for THREEEeeeeeeee!"

Maybe I could hear it on TV because the crowd was so quiet. And I haven't been to a game yet this year... do we always do that?

Tom Gillaspie 5 years, 8 months ago

The fact that the crowd was so quiet is sad and speaks to the spoiled element. I'm not sure if some of today's fans realize how lucky they are to be sitting in those seats. Granted it's a free country and they have the right to buy and not show, or show and sit on their hands (or fiddle with their blackberry). For me, on the rare occasions I am able to attend a KU game (live many miles away), the history of the league, the history of the game, the history of the program, the history of the building, the fact that we are the defending national champions all make it impossible not to get excited and make some NOISE. Come on people, you have to know how much of an advantage that is for the team. And I'm talking about any opposing team that laces 'em up at AFH. Not just the best at any given time.
Let's also not forget the fact that this team is young, and if anyone out there (who is knowledgeable and realistic) really thought we would be 21-5 and 10-1 in league play I will wear a Misery shirt. I realize it was a somewhat uninspired and lackluster performance. The hustle has to come from the guys on the floor, but a lot of the inspiration should be coming from the people in the stands. Let coach Self take care of the performance on the floor; but, to the people in the stands, make some NOISE, stand up, clap, stomp your feet, do something to let the players know you are there. I personally love the tag "one of the best places to see a college basketball game", so let's see if we can keep that alive and really earn it for the Nebraska game on Saturday.
ROCK CHALK!!!!!!!!!!!

rocchalk12 5 years, 8 months ago

I was at the game and I found myself getting frustrated at the lack of passion and enthusiasm from the crowd. I don't understand how in the world someone can go to a KU basketball game and not be into it. I don't know, maybe it was because it was iowa state and it was a middle of the week game. But this is one of the most storied basketball programs in the country and the crowd, especially the student section, needs to start acting like it.

nocaljayhawk 5 years, 8 months ago

Good call, KUMatt2001...I hate that trend...as I said to my brother not too long ago, doing that seems like an insult to any basketball-saavy fan/crowd ("Oh, that shot from behind that line painted on the floor counts for THREE points, you say?" Fantastical.).

At places where the hoops crowds are clueless and/or classless (read: Manhattan, Colubmia, Boulder), that kind of PA nonsense may help pump up the fair-weather fans who've come out to watch their team take on KU, but it makes me cringe to hear it done in AFH. Folks there know the deal and the score; treat them accordingly.

tomlinss90 5 years, 8 months ago

I think alot of the lack excitement also comes from the lack of exciting plays. When Cole threw down that huge thunder dunk last night the crowed went crazy. We seem to be lacking this year in plays like that, The twins should be jamming the ball every time they are around the hoop instead of laying it up..drives me crazy. Even with that said, their is still no excuse, look at Puke or North Carolina, their crowds are always crazy and loud for the whole game.

I went to a game 3 years ago and had seats on one end of the court right behind a student section, in order to see we had to stand up (because the students were), which is fine with me, i'd rather stand the whole game, but the people behind us kept complaing about us standing and they couldnt see..they were probably at least 60 years old..so..my point is..it seems that we also have a large percentage of older people that go to games..which is another reason for the lack of excitement in the crowd. Our student section really needs to step it up to make up for the lack of excitement in the rest of the crowd.

Appoggiatura 5 years, 8 months ago

NoCal, I agree with you about the P.A. But, I also should point out that we do not need to be reminded that a layup or foulline jumper counts for two points. That's my only pet peeve with this P.A, announcer. Makes me miss Howard Hill even more. When I first got to KU, his intro to Allen Fieldhouse gave me chills and I was grateful to choose to come to this school.

And Tomahawk, that has to be the post of the day and maybe year. I couldn't have said it better myself. They can make excuses all they want, but I know when I was a student I didn't care what day of the week it was, or time of game. These students are spoiled and it's sad. Allen Fieldhouse is simply a magical building to be in and I know many that have graduated miss the days when we got to go to every game and felt privileged to be there!

ChicagoJHawk 5 years, 8 months ago

Maybe I was watching a different game or something but I though the crowd was really loud. Granted I wasn’t at the game but I was at a bar and could hear the crowd cheering, over all the people drinking/talking/being loud & drunk etc at the bar. A friend of mine, who was also watching the game with me agreed. Like I said, I wasn’t at the game, so I’ll take your guys’ word for it.

Tomlinss90, I agree, we do need more alley oops & dunks. I’m happy every time the Morris twins score but quit laying it in and DUNK IT, geez!! Those guys are 6’8”, 6’10”!

d_prowess 5 years, 8 months ago

First and foremost, I hated the change last night that involved pumping the music through the PA system. It was weird because the band would play like normal but stop about 20 seconds before the inbounds and the music would then blast. I don't mind some of it, but last night was just too much. As for the crowd, it was definitely down a bit last night but sometimes I think we know too much about the game. Even when the lead was cut to three, we were still in control of the game and the crowd knew it and therefore urged the team on in a more restrained manner. The crowd brings it when they need to, but last night they didn't need to.
Finally, as far as people texting and such, I will admit I do it a bunch during the game, but it doesn't lessen the amount I am cheering and all my texts are going to a friend that is in NJ and we are talking back and forth about the game and how we are playing.

JayhawkPhil 5 years, 8 months ago

I am glad to see NocalJayhawk's comment about the PA announcer. I thought maybe I was the only one who felt that way. I am sick and tired of this cr*p. Up until about 5 or 6 six years ago, the announcers were much more dignified. The goofyness started when they started using the announcer as a commercal with "Gaterade, is it in you"? I used to love it when the students would yell back "No" It got worse from there.

A lot of people get indignant about fans storming the court after a big win with the idea being we should expect to beat anyone we play anyway. To me this is just as bad. Real KU fans don't need some goofy announcer to fire them up. The reason for this is that they are trying to attract the casual fan who has more money than basketball intelligence.

Goofyness itself isn't bad but it doesn't need to come from the PA announcer. It should come from the student section. That is their specialty and they are very good at it.

I realize I am in the minority here but ready to receive criticism for my postion. At least one person out there feels the same way I do.

Brennan Keller 5 years, 8 months ago

every win counts!!! looking forward to the game in Norman on Monday, but KU must not overlook a decent Nebraska team..

ROCK CHALK!

vmwskywalk 5 years, 8 months ago

KUMatt... I agree completely about the PA and the music. I was suprised to hear it on the tv. It seems to me that there is more crowd interaction with the band. I certainly hope that this is not a trend. A big part of the magic in AFH is the crowd interaction.

Someone better nip this in the bud.

Jeff Hargate 5 years, 8 months ago

I was at the game and it was not the worst crowd ever. The same thing happens to the crowd that happens to the players. We get up 16-2 and 24-7 and we get comfortable. The PA music was terrible (too loud, the bass sounded like the speakers were blown) and the male cheerleaders went running around the court with the Kansas flags during a timeout...very bizzarre. The only empty seats were in the top corners and the north student section. The worst part was watching people leave at the under 8:00 TO and were up by less than 10.

Too bad ISU has fallen so far. They have the best record of any visiting team at AFH since the inception of the Big 12.

Hawktacular 5 years, 8 months ago

This is much ado about nothing. A quiet AFH for a mid-week game vs. a bottom of the barrel Big XII opponent is never going to attract the buzz that big games attract. For those that are watching at home, are you telling me your blood gets pumping at the same level for a home game against ISU as it does for a home game against a highly ranked Misery team? Not a chance. If you don’t feel it on the inside you aren’t going to show it on the outside. The same thing happens to the folks lucky enough to be inside Allen. Do you think the players expected a raucous crowd? Not in a million years.

We don’t need an energetic crowd to run lowly ISU out of the gym. We run them out of the gym by reducing our turnovers and making every possession count.

If we can improve in this area we can win in Norman, take care of business at home against Misery and Texas, and make a serious run in March.

If not, no chance in Norman…we’ll be fortunate to beat Misery and Texas at home…and we’ll run into a brick wall before realizing our potential in the tournament.

Jonathan Allison 5 years, 8 months ago

I thought the same thing when I heard the music over the PA. I don't remember them playing music over the PA during the games when I was a student, and that was only a couple years ago.

I would much rather hear the band play ghostbusters than hear Crazy Train over the PA or whatever they were playing.

JayhawkPhil 5 years, 8 months ago

Glad to hear more people disgusted with all the artificial hoopla. Hopefully this will get back to the powers that be. Hate to bitch about these side issues because this was a really good performance by our leaders, Collins and Aldrich. Great game guys. Keep it up.

jayhawk15 5 years, 8 months ago

For one thing our student section is just as good as Duke or UNC. I can guarantee you UNC and Duke fans are not always crazy for every game the whole time as tomlinss90 says. Probably why you think that is you only see them in a big game. Lets not forget we have had one of the best home court winning percentages last 20 years or so, lot of that has to do with the crowd. I know we have good teams but so has UNC and they have lost two or three games at home the last 2 years. Student section wasn't great but the crowd in general wasn't that loud either, when allen fieldhouse gets really loud it's all the older season ticket holders that yell also not just the students. Just wait NU, MU, and Texas all will have awesome crowds. By the way there not many campus who have students get up early in the morning and camp all week to see there team play a 13-12 crappy iowa state team! As a member of the KU marching band and having friends that play in the pep band, kind of made me mad that the athletic department wants to start doing PA music. That should be left to the pep band! I like the videos there awesome , but the random music over PA is stupid when the band is just sitting there!

vmwskywalk 5 years, 8 months ago

jayhawk15...are you saying that this is an Ath. Dept. order? If that is the case, we must use our powers of persuasion and let them know this is wrong.

jayhawk15 5 years, 8 months ago

I know it's an athletic department thing that there trying out, it wasn't because the band was shorthanded or anything. It was a test to see how it went over with the crowd, they tried similar things in the last women's basketball home game. I like the occasional pump up videos during timeouts that show highlights and stuff, but random pa music and stuff I don't like.

vmwskywalk 5 years, 8 months ago

Thanks jayhawk15. I suppose it's worth an email to let them know what we think.

KUAthletics@KU.edu">p>KUAthletics@KU.edu

onlylookin2score 5 years, 8 months ago

It is simply no excuse, but I believe this ho humming from the crowd has everything to do with the opposition. That being said, I can remember being a kid, 9 years old, and standing up at our court side seats and absolutely screaming my head off when it got quiet, and I'll tell you something, back in 1993, that never failed to pump up the crowd. All you need is one or two crazies DOWN AT OR AROUND COURT SIDE to start doing their best bull-horn impressions and I guarantee, it'd make Protestants cheer for the Pope. Or self-involved KU fans cheer for our team, if you don't like that first analogy. ROCKEM CHALKEM and HAWKEM

AverageCitizen 5 years, 8 months ago

Hawktacular - Couldn't agree more. I 2nd everyone else who thinks that hip hop music on the PA sounded terrible. I like it but not in Allen. Stop this nonsense before it gets out of hand! I know some people think that wanting to hold to tradition and not move ahead to modernize is old fashioned and passe. The thinking is that new ideas are always right. Remember "New Coke" in the eighties? The company went back to it's original formula.

I know I had spent all my emotions, even at home, on the K State game and then all the drama of Clemente and racial slurs for days afterwards. It made ISU look like a sweet high school team coming to play at AFH and I just couldn't rouse any intense emotions for it. It happens sometimes.

rocchalk12 5 years, 8 months ago

I will say that if anyone wants to see a rockin AFH, march 1st against misery should suffice. ROCK CHALK!!!!!

not_important 5 years, 8 months ago

Thank you everyone for your comments regarding the apparent new direction the athletic department is trying to implement at the basketball games. For the last few years since we've gotten the video board in the Fieldhouse, I've always thought that we have integrated it beautifully into the college basketball atmosphere we have had at Allen. It was the perfect balance of videos, fun smile cam type commercials OCCASIONALLY, and still keep the band going strong.

The comment above about crowd interaction with band is dead on. Coming out of the timeouts last night with House of Pain or Ozzie playing pretty much kept the crowd quiet, but when was the crowd ever quite when the band was blasting "We're Not Gonna Take It?" Also, considering how little the band is playing, you might as well get rid of the spirit squad because there really isn't anything for them to do. Keep three cheerleaders to do flips on the endlines if we make the first of two free throws, and you can just do the cheer cards on the video board.

Please athletic department keep what makes our venue great. If you want an NBA atmosphere, pool your money, buy the Hornets or Bobcats or whatever team that can't get fan support where they are at and move them to Sprint Center in KC.

rawkhawk 5 years, 8 months ago

Having gone to games since being a kid, I have much nostalgia for the band. I think KU music is unique and is important to AFH. I also have nostalgia for Ozzy, but I'd rather hear the band during KU games. Marcus is coming along as a player...

100 5 years, 8 months ago

The crowd needs to take it upon themselves to bring Allens intensity level up. It's always been the loudest, best place to play. For years there was no questioning this.

Solutions:

1. Crowd -- get fired up. That's embarrassing to watch on TV. You could hear a pin drop.
  2. AD -- no more cheesy music during timeouts. That's part of what makes NBA crowds so quiet. The professional prerecorded sucks your soul out. It quiets the home.
  3. Cheerleading coach -- that "KU" chant is bad. Ever since we adopted this idea, the rhythm and spirit of the crowd has been off. Look back at the old tapes of Danny Manning's teams. The "KU" chant was RAD! There was no way the crowd could lose spirit. You tap into ryhthm and you tap into soul and spirit.
  4. Fans. Only downtime is half and opposing teams freethrows. It's gotta feel like a snakepit. Hint: if we're up 16, that's where the fun REALLY begins. If you quiet down, say goodbye to the forty point, forty minute celebration blowout.
  5. Good fans don't leave early no matter what the score. We never did this during Manning, Pierce or Wilt's time at KU. Why start now?

The intelligent snakepit philosophy always has been Allen Fieldhouse,as well as Hoch, Robinson, the basement of snow & the original Armory in downtown Lawrence in 1898. Surely the current AD can make some simple changes to help things along. Ultimately it comes back to us.

Gotta Rock the Chalk, KU fans

Scott Oswalt 5 years, 8 months ago

I miss Max Falkenstein. I got annoyed with the announcers yesterday.

KUPROUD 5 years, 8 months ago

100, I totally agree. I started this message blog with a comment about the crowd, and I agree with some of the subsequent comments that it is not an excuse for poor play. However, after more than 30 years of watching the Hawks, I am convinced that an enthusiastic crowd has on numerous occasions helped the team win close games, as well as avoid losses to inferior teams when we started the game playing sluggishly. I believe these young men are effected by a crowd that they can hear cheering for them loudly, and by fans that seem indifferent to what they are seeing. And if it does make a difference, when I'm in the crowd I don't want to let the players down by not doing my part. IMHO. RockChalk

musichawk99 5 years, 8 months ago

I took my wife last night to her first ever trip to AFH...it was great except for the lack of crowd noise. I blame the opponent and timing mostly, but the fans around us seemed like they wanted to sit down....we stood up and cheered after every basket, we put our hands up for free throws and we clapped along with the band and we had a great time! We really didn't care what others thought of us because we were there to cheer and make noise and support our beloved Jayhawks!!!!! We traveled 3 hours to get there and it was worth every minute. I agree with the canned music v. band music. I suggest we all write a sincere letter to the athletic dept. and we should see results. I did love the Phantom segment on Cole, it was hilarious, plus it replayed his vicious slam. The only thing I regret about our trip was not being able to have enough time to walk through AFH and soak in all the tradition before the game (easily could take 2 hours!!!). ROCK CHALK!

TheShot122293 5 years, 8 months ago

First step: music over the PA instead of the band playing. Next step: flying mini-blimps and beach balls during timeouts. They need these things at the lesser eleven venues in the Big 12, but we don't need any of this in the Fieldhouse. Who at the athletic department is responsible for these decisions? Whoever it is, he or she is probably the one that thinks that we need a new, more modern arena.

Kevin Holt 5 years, 8 months ago

These comments crack me up. Put me in the "mid-week/weak opponent category".
Dead games happen from time to time, I guess I'm not one to blame the ratio of band music to PA music or the explosion of cell phone useage. I've also seen plenty of rockin games without dunks.

Reminds me when Roy commented about the "wine & cheese" crowd...the only difference is that everyone got ticked off at him for the comment, funny what a ring will let you get away with I guess. (No offense intended to Coach Self.)

AsadZ 5 years, 8 months ago

I don't remember seeing Mario playing at all in 2nd half. Does anyone know whether this was due to any injury?

Lost_in_the_Phog 5 years, 8 months ago

In the past years, we have usually played Iowa State, Nebraska, and Colorado on saturday to avoid a "quiet" game. Not sure why that didn't happen this year.

Also, what the heck was Cole Aldrich talking about?

Ron_Kellogg 5 years, 8 months ago

The crowd better be pumped this weekend with Born Ready in the house.

TopekaWestHawkFan 5 years, 8 months ago

The only good thing was the phantom of the phog,cole aldrich video. Theyshould just can all that bullsh*t music and stick with the band at timeouts. All this said what really gets to me was a family a few rows in front of me coming in about 5 minutes after the game started and leaving at the under 8 time out. also, did the pregame video seem less loud to anyone else?

Osagehawk 5 years, 8 months ago

I was at the game last night as well. After being a Jayhawk all my life and season ticket holder for the past 25 years, I have always taken great pride in the fact that we didn't need all the hoopla to have a great basketball experience in AFH. After last night, for the first time I am afraid we are headed in the wrong direction. The hip-hop music is one thing, but one thing I always despised in other arenas was the PA screamer. We never did that! We didn't have to. Please don't start now.

I also agree that the crowds are not what they used to be. I don't care if it was a mid-week game against a less than great quality team, we were never that dead. What's the deal? Come on people, we've got to get back what we had.

KGphoto 5 years, 8 months ago

Hey, as long as they keep the donation/bidding system in place the crowd is going to be marginally interested at best. So many of the tickets are going to much older individuals. They don't like noise or too much excitement. They get the tickets as a status fortifier, or for proof that they aren't so old. I know many of these individuals. They cling to the KU brand like school kids cling to their retardation accelerators. I mean cell-texters.

It's really just a business tool or a youth fountain to so many attendees that you'll never really get the old magic back. When you sell out, you sell out. There's no going back, and the magic of the bygone era is just gone. Hopefully something will happen that spawns a new movement, and provides legitimate fire, and emotion. But until then, this is what you got.

KGphoto 5 years, 8 months ago

Personally, my magic memories ended when they replaced the hand-written "Pay Heed" sign with the new one. But I know times change. So no biggie.

Just remember when you talk about the fans being spoiled by great teams. So too are the fans spoiled by their own fanhood. Anybody worried about AFH's greatness only need to visit The Coors Events Center on a night that KU isn't playing to re-appreciate their situation. It's absolutely mortifying. I mean that place couldn't be more dead if it was built in a city dump.

Don't get too down. Even with all the change, The House remains the king.

see: http://www.kansan.com/stories/2008/feb/15/past_and_present_phog/?news

John Randall 5 years, 8 months ago

"When you sell out, you sell out."

My sentiment exactly. I can't believe we need the money badly enough to give up so much.