Thursday, February 19, 2009

10-year-old with lung disease gets to meet the Jayhawks

A dream comes true for one of KU's biggest fans. Ten-year-old Michael Douglas got a visit to the KU locker room last night.

Ten-year-old Kansas University fan Michael Douglas won’t forget Feb. 18.

It will go down as one of the best days of his life — or at least a close second to KU winning the national championship last year.

Michael, who is fighting interstitial lung disease, was invited into the Kansas University men’s basketball team locker room after the Jayhawks defeated Iowa State, 72-55. Coach Bill Self wanted to meet the Wellsville Elementary School fifth-grader after reading about him in a Journal-World article.

In the locker room, Michael listened as Self talked about him and used his story to inspire the team. The players then huddled around him and said, “1-2-3 family.”

Michael received autographs and had his picture taken with his favorite player, Sherron Collins, above. He also recalled meeting Cole Aldrich.

“He gave me a high-five, but he held his hand way up at the top of the ceiling and I couldn’t reach it,” Michael said.

Michael also got to meet Danny Manning and Chancellor Robert Hemenway.

Comments

David Reed 5 years, 5 months ago

awesome story.another reason why KU is first class

lance1jhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

Great story. Another reason I'm glad I was born a Jayhawk.

TopekaWestHawkFan 5 years, 5 months ago

a kansan by birth, a jayhawk by the grace of god. glad to hear this heartwarming story and be reassured that we are the classiest team and school in the nation.

hillsborohawk 5 years, 5 months ago

Bill and team, Thanks for being first class!

Jerry Rockhold 5 years, 5 months ago

I'm the Volunteer Director of a very special baseball program in KC for special needs children called the Miracle League of Kansas City & Michael is one of my favorite kids. Not only does he have excellent taste in colleges, but he always has a very positive attitude & is a joy to work with. And he's also a very good athlete as well. It was great to find this story about him & how the Hawks & Coach Self treated him. Once again, KU shows its class as a school that truly cares about its community & its fans. If you'd like more info. on the Miracle League, the national website is; www.miracleleague.com. Also, heres the link to the MiracleLeague video on YouTube that was shown on HBO Real Sports & inspired me to start this incredible program in Kansas City 6 years ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odpmtf...

Tony Bandle 5 years, 5 months ago

Born a Missourian but found salvation in Larry, KS, I was, am and shall always be proud to be a Jayhawk. I fight the good fight everyday, being surrounded by Tigers, because I know I bleed Crimson and Blue.

God, Country, Family and the University of Kansas...who could ask for more.

Jerry Rockhold 5 years, 5 months ago

P.S.---And to you Michael, way to go & once again, I'm proud of you. :)
Best always, "Coach" Rockhold

Scott Smetana 5 years, 5 months ago

Rock Chalk Michael... No matter all of our ups and downs in life, we always have the Jayhawks.

katiemac25 5 years, 5 months ago

I went to a KSU game last week for the first time in years (because I'm a KU grad, and not a KSU fan, and it wasn't even the KU/KSU game), but went with my husband because that's his alma-mater. The atmosphere at KSU is so different then the one at KU....the band doesn't play much, and when they do it's the same few songs. At KU, the band is part of the tradition! Don't get rid of the tradition....Allen Fieldhouse is an amazing place to watch college basketball and being at the KSU game and in Bramlage just reminded me of that. Doing music over the loud speakers makes it more of a "circus" and yes it may get fans pumped up, but if that's the case play music only a few times, but DON'T GET RID OF THE BAND!!!! Many people (KU fans and Non-KU fans) that have been in Allen Fieldhouse, love it because of the WHOLE PICTURE..which includes the band!! ROCK CHALK!!!

katiemac25 5 years, 5 months ago

I am sorry! I had this up for the other article and put it on the wrong one!

ROCK CHALK, MICHAEL!!!