Sunday, February 1, 2009

Kansas, by a nose

Aldrich’s faceguard can’t mask ugly win

Kansas' Cole Aldrich, right, and forward Mario Little fight for position on a rebound with Colorado defenders Dwight Thorne II, left, Austin Dufault and Casey Crawford during the second half, Saturday, Jan. 31, 2009 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Audio clips

2009 KU-CU Jan. 31

Cole Aldrich looked into the stands, only to see his dad and three uncles wearing white tape on the bridge of their noses.

“That gave me a good laugh. I thought it was pretty funny,” Aldrich, Kansas University’s sophomore center with a broken schnoz, said, smiling.

Feeling the love, Aldrich — who also was amused by an oversized mugshot of himself sporting a facemask in the student section — scored 11 of KU’s first 17 points in a scary 66-61 victory over Colorado on Saturday afternoon in Allen Fieldhouse.

“I’ve got to get on him a little bit. That’s what dads do,” Cole’s papa, Walter, said, admitting the tape prank was his idea.

The jokes would have been even funnier had Aldrich and the Jayhawks expanded on leads of 17-7 and 46-25.

Instead, Cole — who had his nose broken Wednesday at Nebraska and was wearing a clear facemask with white straps for the first time in a game — and his teammates cooled off. They managed to hold on against the Buffs, who closed the gap to two points down the stretch.

“I was being really aggressive, and the guys got me the ball, and I was making easy baskets,” Aldrich said of his early flurry.

“They (Buffs) clouded it up and made it hard to score inside the second half.”

Aldrich — he finished with 15 points and 13 rebounds in 31 minutes — said the mask served him well. It came in handy when Travis Releford banged a pass off the shield late in the first half.

“The initial shock of getting hit ... I didn’t think I’d get hit, and if I did it would not be bad. That was one of those, ‘AAH! (moments)',” Aldrich exclaimed. “It did sting a bit, but you shake it off and get back in there.

“The mask felt fine,” the 6-foot-11 pivot added. “There were little points of the mask where you can’t quite see everything.”

Aldrich said he’ll continue to wear the mask until doctors say the nose can take another shot.

That’s fine with Aldrich, who’ll bring it to Baylor for Monday’s 8 p.m. tipoff.

“We had different experiments with masks the last two days. This one was really good. I really liked it,” Aldrich said. “I tried to watch the ball the whole time and figure where it was.”

KU coach Bill Self saidthe mask didn’t seem to bother Aldrich.

Self was thrilled with Aldrich’s play in the first seven minutes.

“He was great early, fabulous, then we forgot who the best player in the game was for us,” Self said. “That’s frustrating. Cole should have gotten touches, if not every possession, every other possession the second half.”

Instead, the second half was dominated by the Buffs (9-11, 1-5), who outscored the Jayhawks, 27-8, to slice a 46-25 deficit to 54-52 with 6:11 to play.

CU made 65.2 percent of its second-half shots, to KU’s 33.3 percent.

“We were horrendous defensively, and they made shots,” said Self, who said he couldn’t remember a half in which the Jayhawks (17-4, 6-0) were as bad on the defensive end.

Tyrel Reed hit a clutch three to rebuild the lead to 57-52, and Sherron Collins, who had an off day with 11 points of 4-of-16 shooting, iced a three to up the lead back to 10 (62-52) at 3:38.

The Buffs whittled it back to 62-59 with 28.3 seconds left.

Collins charged through the lane and hit a floater with 23 seconds left — and one left on the shot clock. He also made two free throws at 4.8 seconds to answer a Buff bucket and ice the victory.

“Either Tyrel’s shot or Sherron’s were the biggest of the game,” Self said. “I told him (Reed) he was going to make a three. Sure enough, he made me look like a prophet for a second. We had him in the game for a reason. For him against the zone to step up and make a play … and he did.”

Of Collins’ clutch play late, Self said: “For him to have an off day like that ... he makes a huge shot late, then gets fouled and makes free throws. He still contributed. Sherron in my opinion has to find a way to control the game without scoring. He had some opportunities to do that today. He became frustrated with his shot.

“We picked a bad time to play bad offensively collectively for 18 minutes,” the coach assessed.

KU now travels to Baylor for a Big Monday battle. The Bears fell to 15-6, 3-4 following Saturday’s 89-72 loss at Missouri.

“We’ll be excited,” Aldrich said. “We’re happy to come out of it today with a win. A win is a win. We’ve got to win ugly games sometimes, too.”

While wearing ugly facemasks sometimes, too.

Comments

jaybate 5 years, 6 months ago

Hmmm. Sherron can't hit the broad side of a barn. KU shoots 20 something from three. And Cole can't get touches for most of the second half?Anyone remember Mongo from Blazing Saddles?"Mongo throw ball to Cole. Cole stuff ball in basket. Mongo like Cole. Cole have nice mask. Mongo not know why no one else pass to Cole. Mongo like to pass to Cole. Fun to watch Cole bend rim like Mongo want to."

scrofula 5 years, 6 months ago

That's some funny stuff, Jaybate! Your best post yet!

KGphoto 5 years, 6 months ago

LOL! You are Mongo, jaybate. Too funny.So ColeTrain can't see everything? Hopefully it improves his vision when he gets to take off the mask. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Just like eeking out a victory over CU. Just like learning to play with limited peripheral.

Robert Brock 5 years, 6 months ago

We went 7:10 without a FG. Didn't make much of an effort to feed the post. Skip passes and flinging bricks. THAT was ugly. Thankfully, we woke up and simply won the game.

optichawk 5 years, 6 months ago

I just woke up and took a look at the box score. Something odd made me rub my eyes and take a second look... Cole had No Fouls? Zero? Nahdah? Is this true or a JW box score blunder?

Blake Brown 5 years, 6 months ago

Is it true that all of the students repositioned the tape over their nose and put it over their eyes toward the end of the game? UGLY, but a win nonetheless.Whatever happened to the intensity and fight we were looking for after the Nebraska game?I guess we chalk this up to another learning experience. 21 games in and we are still learning. The good news so far is that we do win most of these. Being 17-4 and with 2 of thise losses games we should have won, it looks good on paper. If we are indeed playing to our competition`s level, we will see an upgrade against Baylor or we are in for a long night.GO HAWKS!

BuhrKU5 5 years, 5 months ago

Haha! Mongo! what a classicLets home KU can clean things up against Baylor. This would be a big win in itself. But even a bigger win with the sudden shooting slump we are in.

LAJayhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

"'We picked a bad time to play bad offensively collectively for 18 minutes,' the coach assessed."2 responses to this quote: 1) Is there ever a GOOD time to play bad offensively collectively for 18 minutes?? And 2) I'd say that this was the BEST time to play horrendously on the offensive end for nearly the entire 2nd half considering the outcome. Arizona, Michigan State, those were the "bad" times to play poorly offensively in the second half...........As bad as Sherron shot yesterday, he still found a way to hit the shots when we needed him to. I continued someone else's comparison of him to Mario the other day of the fact that he's willing to take the game into his hands. I said winners win, and that's what Sherron did on Saturday. Iced the game and won.You also gotta love the fact that he hasn't missed a free throw since conference games began. That's friggin' impressive.That second half, however, was far from it. But we got the win, and we continue to control our own destiny with respect to the conference championship. One game at a time.

Rockchalk_Mom 5 years, 5 months ago

Is there a website for "The C & B Line"? How does one contact David Lawrence?

Tony Bandle 5 years, 5 months ago

I still think Condor should wear the Jason Mask from Friday the 13thGood the boys got that crap game out of their systems, because Monday will be their first game away on ESPN Big Monday, a previously ranked opponent has lost three straight and is p####d and I have a feeling "The Rug" Hightower is due to be the ref.No Sweat...KU wins going away

KGphoto 5 years, 5 months ago

Off topic. What a pathetic hissy Baby Knight threw against Iowa St. yesterday. I just snickered. If he ever grabs a chair... well. He ain't no Bobby.And what's with the water-boy dress code nowadays for the head coaches. Is it an attempt to provide a technical-ejection-like spark for the bottom dwellers of the Big 12? Both Baby Knight and CU's Bzdelick have been sporting the trainer's threads for a while. Does anybody have a line on this?Is it punishment from the Big 12 for sucking so bad?

Godisajayhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

LAJayhawkI agree with you that playing horrendously for essentially an entire half of basketball is never really a blessing. I think Coach Self's point was in relation to both how bad we were playing defensively and how well they were playing offensively...i.e a better time to stop hitting shots would be when we are playing lockdown defense.Who knows though? Your guess is as good as mine.At least we got the winAlsoKGPhoto- hahaha, I needed that

jaybate 5 years, 5 months ago

Thank heavens, KGjpeg did a discourse redirect onto something relevant...like coaches clothing styles!But being as I'm questing to adapt Eddie Ball to Eddie Posting, well, I gotta play take what they give us, ok? So: I began to notice a crisis in sartorial styles of coaches sometime last season. After about a decade, maybe two, of drift toward more and more homogeneity in coaching threads, threads that communicated control, authority and the kind of class found among persons from humble backgrounds trying diligently to affect class, I sensed the beginnings of a paradigm shift in coaching attire. I began to see something more than the quietly powerful suit, or the natty sport coat and slacks. I began to see coaches experimenting, as I had not seen them do so since the ghastly 1970s. At first, I thought the experimenting was simply random aberrations of bad taste, wives gone mad, but still picking out their husbands duds, or adult men without subtlety and taste adrift after messy divorces faced for the first time since college with auto-clothing. It was hard to say.And as with most trend phenomena of this kind, it took a while for human pattern recognition facilities to kick and see the pattern. I would not even be surprised, if the trend began a few years earlier than last season, when I first noted it.The earliest, anomalous attire datum that I can point to is Bruce Perle's ORANGE suit at UTenn. It was not loud, it was deafening. It was also perfect for TV and made him the focal point of every televised UTenn game. But by making the UTenn uniforms the same remarkable color, he fooled me. I inferred that it was strictly a marketing gimmick dreamed up by some media consultant to brand manage UTenn basketball and so help Perle recruit. I did not think it was part of a wider cultural phenomenon in coach-dressing.Now I think otherwise.Now I think Perle's fluorescent two-piece suit was a harbinger that the center was not holding; that the regime of uniformly business like coaching attire was flying apart as if placed in a sartorial centrifuge.

jaybate 5 years, 5 months ago

Look around the coaching landscape. The Okie Baller mafia is pretty much sticking with the program, but even Bill Self is trial ballooning ribbon frame glasses at casual events. He's not sure he wants to take the look into the arena yet, but just testing it out is something he would never have done five years ago. And increasingly he opts for expensive suits with very subtle patterns, rather than the off the rack business like duds he wore early on. Yes, he's independently wealthy now, but, he could just opt for something custom in navy blue yet increasingly does not.We have coaches in trainers threads as KGphotoopp notes.We have Slick Rick increasingly wearing the "Good Fellas" suit without apology.We have defiantly lousy dressers like the coach at Depaul.We have the likes of Russ Pennell at Arizona who appear to be wearing double knit suits from the 70s found in thrift stores.We have Doc Saddler rediscovering the demi-Don Haskins/Bob Knight sport coat with the belly intentionally hanging out over cheap pants.We have coaches like Mark Turgeon dressing himself and his entire coaching staff up to look like Mormon body guards; this is perhaps the weirdest clothing anomaly fitting into the large pattern in random differentiation in college coaching attire, but because it is so subtle no one even notices it.And, I think it fair to forecast at this point, that we are but a short time away from the first college coach wearing an undersized suit without socks. This daring coach is likely to appear in NY, Los Angeles, or San Francisco. Shocking it will be, but inevitable, nonetheless.Of course these kind of paradigm shifts always reflect a related shift in the society, also.I believe that the recent age of globalization, accurately called Globalization 2.0 (Globalization 1.0 having occured from 1880-1920), has ended. I believe we are now in Balkanization 1.0. I believe the center could not hold in globalization. Middle classes were rendered. Many traditional institutions and economic tapestries that held things together have been frayed and then torn apart. We are deconstructing into regions again. The big sugar daddies can't hold it all together any longer,at least for awhile. The house of cards has to come down, and reconstructed based on new reinstitution and reregulation. It is the tao.Fragmentation in coaching threads is just one manifestation.The center couldn't hold.The center is dead.Long live the center.

KanKu 5 years, 5 months ago

bringheatwavewheat 5 years, 5 months ago

LAJayhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

Godisajayhawk,Yes, that was the coaches point, clearly. I, on the other hand, was poking fun at the idea of a "bad time" to play terribly offensively. I thought it was a funny quote. Especially, again, considering the outcome. But, yes, when you are playing poor defense, it hurts to play poor offense. However, I think there is an easier way to say that: it's called "playing a bad game." And I don't think that's ever the best idea under any circumstances......And KGphoto,To me it looks like Bzdelik just rolled off the set of "Blue's Clues." I expect him to start singing: "We just figured out how to shoot. We just figured out how to shoot. We just figured out how to shoot, because we suck a little less."Sorry. I've been spending a lot of time with my 2 year old.

LAJayhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

Oh, and guys, that's why I skip over jaybate's posts on those occasions when it's clearly just a pile of word vomit. Some days he has an interesting point to make (which generally is swallowed up with an overwhelming metaphorical swamp of unending prose), and other days he just wants to kill some time, apparently.My advice: read the first couple of sentences. You'll usually know right away whether to skip or read (and if you don't then just skip it... sign of bad writing anyway). Saves a good deal of time.

KGphoto 5 years, 5 months ago

Haha to all.Well I'm a little spent after jaybiden's thorough licking. But I'm entertained per norm.To me it seems a little less complicated though. I think it's laziness. Too lazy to command the players. Instead I'll just relate to them. "I'm not so stiff" "I'm just like you". Please. The suit has been a long-standing icon of power and success. And to massively paraphrase jailbait, the cart is in front of the horse. The kids have taken power with their youth-to-apathy advantage.Just keep the suit Bill. I don't care what kind or color. I don't even care if you sport one of Roy's amazing rainbow ties. At least you aren't wearing your bath robe.

KGphoto 5 years, 5 months ago

soobawls if you haven't been watching, the south is not rising again.Just yesterday-K-State beat Texas in Austin.-Missouri just whooped Baylor.-Iowa State scared Oklahoma.-Colorado scared 6-0 Kansas-Nebraska embarrassed Baby Knight in Lubbock.I think you're reading too much into pre-season schiz. The North is as good as the south. Mark it.

Godisajayhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

my bad LAdidn't know you were joking

jhawkr 5 years, 5 months ago

I find myself at times rejoicing in our success last year and meanwhile knowing that we lost 6 of our top 7 and not much should be expected. Then I find myself saying we aren't that bad. We have Coach Self, Collins, Aldrich and an everchanging cast of characters that at times looks pretty good and yet we all know that we will have a couple of bad 5 to 7 minutes lulls that make you believe you are watching a very bad team.We are 17 and 4 ! Ok, our Big 12 wins aren't against 4 of the best 6 so far. So its going to be a long 6 weeks till the big dance starts. The Hawks just seem to tease us/me into believing we are going to be fine. We can look like a TEAM and then we about blow a 21 pt. lead at home. Our losses at ARZ and MSU were real eye openers. But I'd welcome the chance to play those teams again later on ................Right now I hate to say it, but the balance of the season is in Coach Self's hands. He has to get Collins/Chunky to realize that he is our leader, but he can't do it by himself. If he's hot then get him the ball, but if not then get it to your open or hot teammates. We are at times to much of a perimeter team and would shoot a lot more free throws if we penetrated into the paint. When you do that (and not into a crowd Sherron) good things usually happen. And our passing. Need I say more.The fact is we are too SOFT. The 2nd half yesterday proved that to me. We had many chances to wake up and take control back and almost blew it. The Baylor game will tell us a lot. They are a tough team and god knows it is probably time for our first Big 12 loss. But that would be too easy to accept after our last two games. I will accept a loss if we play with heart, teamwork, and quit making stupid passes to guys who aren't even open !

jaybate 5 years, 5 months ago

jaybate 5 years, 5 months ago

Joseph Kuebel 5 years, 5 months ago

Hawk70 5 years, 5 months ago

Keep on postin', Jaybate...

kvskubball 5 years, 5 months ago

Young teams often....look...young....I think the guys are working, learning, and improving. They aren't last year's team, and I really don't think they are going to get there in one year. So I'm enjoying the ride, even though I sometimes find myself yelling at the tv because we just made a stupid play that showed...how young we are....Rock Chalk!!!

jaybate 5 years, 5 months ago

LAJay,The only question is: which is LA's greater cultural contribution--right turn on red, as Woody argued, or the SIG alert? Gotta be the Siggie."To Live and Die in LA/Why in LA..."--Tangerine Dream

jaybate 5 years, 5 months ago

KGirisscan,What if the North were as bad as the south?RE- mark it.

Tony Bandle 5 years, 5 months ago

Young and unsteadyJayhawks skip from stone to stoneFinding light's bright path.

Martin Rosenblum 5 years, 5 months ago

Has everybody here been sharing a toke with Michael Phelps or what? This runaway train somehow started with a discussion about Cole's broken nose and took a turn for coaching staff game attire.

jaybate 5 years, 5 months ago

jhawkr,Hearing you about needing to play tougher.Doubting it is feasible.Compare the upper bodies of Darnell Jackson and Sash Kaun to Cole and the Twins. Sasha bicepts were bigger around the Cole's thighs. Darnell could curl more than the Twins could leg press with both of them pushing while ramped up on ritalin.KU is not strong enough to play prison body ball. KU has no prison bodies over 5'11".Cole's wing span and the Twin's facial hair can only intimidate so much.A 6'5" four can't really intimidate at all, unless he switches off onto a 1 or 2.KU has to finesse.KU has to become the best 98 pound weakling it can become.There ain't going to be any Charle Atlas transformations till summer.But skinny as they are, they are going to have to learn how to put their men down in retaliation, when the other team assaults them the way Nebraska did.Failing to do so guaranties Cole a one way ticket to street clothes.Every opponent has the Michigan State and Nebraska game tapes. They know beating Cole around is the ticket to ride.They know Cole's teammates didn't back him--didn't retaliate for him...simple as that.This is the fault line in the team that has to be paved over before it gives way. You can't stand up for some guys on the team and not others. This has to be a musketeer gig--one for all and all for one--or else predators will play divide and conquer on this team.

KGphoto 5 years, 5 months ago

playdate: Enter Q.T.If KU follows your schematic. Q.T. is the guy. With no facial hair and no PT, his 6'7" 240lb frame and complimentary skills would be garnering him 30min/game with all but two other teams in the Big 12.I'm not doubting Self at 17-4. But damn, I'm still curious.Now back to some important stuff memhawk. I think the conference's worst team should be required to wear wrestling singlets the following year. For every game. Talk about some motivation.And the coaches of those teams have to wear something from Pat Summit's collection. Not that they'd mind, the way it's going. But perhaps we could just accelerate the madness to it's breaking point, and skip the izod shenanigans.

Joseph Kuebel 5 years, 5 months ago

MY comment was flagged and removed that stated "I also scroll by the comments created by Jaybate- who obviously seems to have a severe case called "diarrhea of the mouth and constipation of the brain" Too often of times I run into 5 pages in a row of ridiculous babble that more so resembles a 1000 B.C. hallucinogenic leaf eating predictor of the future than a basketball fan. Remember this is a KU basketball site, not a Harry Potter forum." I already know that several others have agreed with this comment. And many others posting on this website would enjoy some filtering of jaybates comment so intelligent Basketball conversation can occur on this website in a fluent manner (as opposed to 5 pages of filtering through babble in order to get to the next post). Not only is this distracting, but it is inhibiting to those who are attempting to bring up valid posts to the website. (not to mention avid fans that would like to engage with valid comments, and valid fans that do have knowledge of basketball).

JayhawkPhil64 5 years, 5 months ago

CaliHawk33-- there is little known method of getting by Jaybate's lengthy essay's-- it's called the "scrollbar"-- you might metion that to all those folks who don't want to read his ramblings. Meanwhile, let the rest of us enjoy those moments when he is at his best.By the way, I can empathize with Jaybate, I have always been a little to verbose myself. When I was writing my Master's Thesis(back in 1971) I was told it needed be around 125 pages. For most people the problem was making their paper that long. For me it was just the opposite. I admitted this to my advisor but he told me just write it as I felt comfortable and then we would edit it together. Well, it came out at about 230 typed pages. He sat down with me for hours going through every sentence and we finally got it down to about 140 pages------ and it was approved!

Joseph Kuebel 5 years, 5 months ago

Noted JayPhil I understand the rambling that you also needed edited as I have similar issues in many of my postings, but nice job on cutting it down by over 1/3 that is quite an edit job.Respect.

jaybate 5 years, 5 months ago

CaliHawk33,Mongo know how to scroll past jaybate post.JayhawkPhil64 know how to scroll past jaybate post.jaybate know how to scroll past jaybate post.Why CaliHawk33 not know how to scroll past jaybate post?Mongo just make big fist and smash space bar.Make screen jump down through too long post fast.Mongo even like to smash fist on space bar.Give Mongo sense of power over environment.Maybe you try too.Best regard,Mongo