Tuesday, December 29, 2009

KU hoping to win 50th straight at home

Kansas guard Sherron Collins calls the Allen Fieldhouse crowd from their seats after a dunk by Marcus Morris during the first half Tuesday, Nov. 10, 2009 at Allen Fieldhouse.

KU nears 50 straight home victories

The men's basketball team at KU needs one more victory to reach 50 straight at home. The Jayhawks have not lost in Allen Fieldhouse since 2007.

Cole Aldrich has played in 45 games in Allen Fieldhouse during his three-year college basketball career. He’s won ’em all.

“We go into every game knowing it’s going to be a tough one whether we are playing this team or that team,” said Aldrich, Kansas University’s 6-foot-11, 245-pound junior pivot from Bloomington, Minn.

Healthy respect for the opponent, Aldrich maintains, is one of the main reasons KU takes a monumental 49-game homecourt winning streak into today’s 8 p.m., nonconference clash against Belmont.

“I think it’d be really cool,” Aldrich said of No. 1-ranked KU (11-0) stopping the Bruins (7-4) and claiming half-a-hundred consecutive victories at home.

“Not only for the guys on this team to have been part of it,” Aldrich added, “but for everybody else that has been part of the tradition here.

“There’s so much more to Kansas basketball than just the current guys. We’ve got guys like Kirk (Hinrich) and Nick (Collison) and some others who come back to games. They sit in the stands behind the bench cheering us just as loud as we will when we come back to watch games (in the future).”

To continue a push toward the school-record homecourt win streak of 62 games (Feb. 26, 1993-Dec. 8, 1998), KU tonight must defeat a Belmont squad that in recent seasons has downed Missouri, Cincinnati and Alabama in the regular season and lost to UCLA (78-44), Georgetown (80-55) and Duke (71-70) in the first-round of the NCAAs (2006-08).

“Belmont is good. They average 77 points a game. We know they can score. They can obviously shoot (47.6 percent),” said KU coach Bill Self, indicating the Bruins run a hard-to-guard motion offense.

The Bruins of the Atlantic Sun Conference — who have beaten Portland State, Alabama State, Eastern Illinois, Tennessee State, Kennesaw State, Mercer and Middle Tennessee State and lost to Washington, Wright State, Saint Louis and Eastern Illinois — are led by 6-foot-9 sophomore Mike Hedgepeth, who averages 13.0 points per game.

Fifth-year senior Keaton Belcher and 6-3 freshman Ian Clark both contribute 12.5 ppg. Drew Hanlen, a 5-11 sophomore point guard, has 46 assists against 16 turnovers.

The 6-9 Belcher is the only current Bruin who has been part of Belmont’s three NCAA Tourney appearances, including the one-point loss to Duke on March 20, 2008, in Washington, D.C.

Those postseason appearance have made Belmont a smash hit in the school’s hometown of Nashville, Tenn.

“We’re seeing the fruits of the three NCAA Tournament appearances. We go recruiting now and we can talk about that with guys,” Belmont coach Rick Byrd told midmajority.com. “They (recruits) have seen us on TV and they saw the Duke game. It seems everybody in the world did.”

Making his case: KU freshman power forward Thomas Robinson hopes to make a case for more playing time before the start of second semester classes on Jan. 14. He’s made that clear to his coach.

“He hasn’t said, ‘Why am I not playing?’ He has said, ‘I want to play more,’’’ Self said, indicating he likes that type of competitive attitude from the 6-9, 230-pounder, who has logged 11.6 minutes per contest.

“I guess you get the same answer to both: ‘Well, Thomas, you’ve got to get where you get what we are doing as much from a defensive standpoint as anything.’

Robinson averages 4.8 points and 4.5 rebounds a game. He’s made 47.5 percent of his shots. His goals for the coming weeks?

“To improve my defense and continue working on my 15-foot jump shot,” Robinson said. “Just (improve) my all-around game, being a better player and maturing as a basketball player.”

KU soph Marcus Morris said Robinson can improve dramatically before second-semester classes begin.

“There’s a lot to gain being around Danny Man(ning),” Morris said of KU’s assistant coach in charge of the big men. “This is the best time to be around ‘D. Man.’ He can break down certain moves for you. He is great at teaching moves. Something I’m going to work on the next couple weeks is get into a go-to move, more a move he (Manning) knows I can do and master.”

Stats, facts: KU’s last home loss was to Texas A&M on Feb. 3, 2007. ... Belmont was an NAIA power before switching to NCAA Div. I in 1996-97 ... KU athletic director Lew Perkins and Belmont AD Mike Strickland worked together at Wichita State from 1983-87. ... Belmont coach Byrd and Vanderbilt coach Kevin Stallings are close friends. Stallings worked as an assistant at KU from 1989-93. ... Belmont’s music and music business programs have produced contributors to the Nashville music scene, including Lee Ann Womack, Trisha Yearwood, Brad Paisley, Stephen Curtis Chapman and Josh Turner. ... Coach Byrd is a good friend of country singer Vince Gill and Gill’s wife, Amy Grant. Gill attends most every Belmont home game. KU coach Self joked on Monday’s Hawk Talk that “it’d be awesome if they came here and could sing the national anthem before the game.”

Comments

Blake Post 4 years, 3 months ago

kushaw...Holy Cross... did KU ever lose to Holy Cross?

Go Rockin' Robinson

AsadZ 4 years, 3 months ago

Taylor and X have to show up in the 2nd half

goshenjhawk 4 years, 3 months ago

Folks, the stream should be at http://justin.tv/sremlahc10, password: phog Let's beat Belmont!!

Jack Wilson 4 years, 3 months ago

May be odd, but Robinson reminds me of Collison. Don't know if that is a good comparison, but to me, a lot of similarities. I think Robinson has "it" and will be one of the top 10 big men to play at KU. High expectations, but this guy is the real deal.

jaybate 4 years, 3 months ago

Further Predictions:

} KU vs. Cornell

KU 73 Cornell 59

) KU vs. TXS

KU 88 TXS 72

} Derek Rose's SAT if he had actually taken the test:

Not quite good enough to have gotten in.

} John Wall's SAT if he had actually taken the test, if it turns out he, like Rose, did not take his own SAT:

Not quite good enough to have gotten in.

} USA National Debt in 2020:

$1 Googleplex

} School that hires Joe Dooley as Head Coach:

UConn

} School that Hires Tim Jankovich as Its Next Head Coach:

Oklahoma State

} Years till UK Implodes:

} Odds that Coach K Will Win Another Ring in His Career:

Slim.

} Odds that Roy Will Do For KU, What He Did for UNC for 15 Years--Avoid Recruiting in Half the Country to Protect His Former School's Basketball Program:

None.

} Odds that KU will run the table this year.

Still the best since Indiana in '76.

satchmo05 4 years, 3 months ago

anyone with the link to the justin.tv feed for tonight's game? I misplaced the URL... :D

jaybate 4 years, 3 months ago

KU vs. Belmont

KU 247 Belmont 61

jaybate 4 years, 3 months ago

kushaw,

Thanks for the data on Cornell. I didn't realize they were having such a good year.

jaybate 4 years, 3 months ago

Tuesday Expressing the Big Man Syllogism

Thomas is a big. All bigs will develop slower than expected. Therefore Thomas will develop slower than expected.

Jeff is a big. All bigs will develop slower than expected. Therefore, Jeff will develop slower than expected.

satchmo05 4 years, 3 months ago

Does anyone know the link to the justin.tv live feed of the game tonight?!

yates33333 4 years, 3 months ago

Solomon. You don't have his wisdom, but you are funny.

kushaw 4 years, 3 months ago

Cornell just beat La Salle 78-75 at the Tom Gola Arena in Philly to improve to 10-2 on the season. I wouldn't look passed the Big Red. Reminds me of that excellent Bucknell team and Holy Cross team in the beginning and middle of the last decade. Wittman dropped 34 points.

KU 4 years, 3 months ago

jhwkfan162515.....Assuming you were aiming that comment at me. I didn't say anything about Bradley. I mentioned Belmont.

Joe Baker 4 years, 3 months ago

Let's not worry about Mr Robinson. He's in great hands with Master Manning. The kid has great footwork and his shooting will develop. He's a frosh and has too much anxiety right now. He'll develop and become the total package!!

I like the idea of playing WSU Shockers. In fact, TRob reminds me a little of Xavier McDaniels. TRob is not quite as "mean." (ha ha) X-Man was intimidating and strong! He was only 6-7. TRob will have to research a little to learn more about the X-Man at WSU from yesteryear. If he plays like X-Man, oooh my!!!

Beat Belmont!!

swjhawk 4 years, 3 months ago

This is an issue as old as freshman eligibility, or older. Al McGuire said that "The best thing about freshmen is that they turn into sophomores."

Personally, I'm delighted with Mr. Robinson. That he's impatient and wants to play more is an indicator of his desire to excel. I hope and look forward to him wearing a Jayhawk uni and playing basketball for KU for the next two-three years.

Ron Franklin 4 years, 3 months ago

huey

sometimes i find it on channelsurfing.net

jhwkfan162515 4 years, 3 months ago

That would be the Bradley Braves, not Bears.

KU 4 years, 3 months ago

Off the subject, but what do you think is the record for the most games played in a year against teams with bears as mascots? Central Arkansas Bears, UCLA Bruins, Cal Golden Bears, Belmont Bruins, Baylor Bears........am I missing any??

kushaw 4 years, 3 months ago

JayhawkPillar: I don't mean to rain on your parade, but you haven't watched Cornell play this year have you? I don't mean to point this out, but Cornell has beaten St. John's, St. Joseph, Alabama, UMass, Drexel, Davidson and currently is leading La Salle in the first half 10-8 at the moment. They lost to Seton Hall by 10. I watched the entire Syracuse/Cornell game in the Dome and that was a 6 point game the entire game except the last 3 minutes where Syracuse finally pulled away for a 15 point win.

You putting Cornell in the same sentence with Alcorn State is laughable. I find it odd you put Alcorn State, Belmont, and Cornell to make your point. Alcorn State and Central Arkansas may be a better comparison to use, but using Cornell is a slap in the face to a good team like the Big Red and a slap in the face to KU because they play them. Just because not all schools play in the "BCS" doesn't mean there aren't teams out there good enough to compete against the "Big Boys". I would take a number of conference champions over a middle of the road BCS school and Cornell would be one of them.

William Blake 4 years, 3 months ago

Good points, Lebowski..

We all love the depth and the possibilities from holding the cards on so much talent but only 5 players can play at a time and I'm not sure it's always helpful to be able to go 10+ deep.... in order to have that much quality talent everyone has to get relevant PT and how do you do that when you really need to give core players plenty of PT to develop a rhythm together? Obviously we need a 8 solid players... but it's difficult to go deeper and pass minutes around. Never thought I would have these thoughts... in the least having so much talent with non-seniors gives us a solid team again next year. Our redshirts offer a partial solution. Though I now wish we would have kept one of them and maybe redshirted TRob or EJ instead. Both Mario and Travis already had a year under the CS system and it seems we have no one to fill the void of the midrange game... both would give us more depth at the 3...

Maybe CS should be busier recruiting 2011 players.... or 2012... 2013... (?) seeing how players that young change directions so often, not sure it's worth it. The fact that Woolridge locked in so early definitely impressed me. I'm hopeful he will become a great talent. He's definitely another "motor" like TRob and EJ... I like the quicker players...

heuy1981 4 years, 3 months ago

I am out of town until after the new year and know that someone posts a link on justin tv for the game when there on espn u so if someone has that link i would greatfully appriciate it thank you .

Lebowski 4 years, 3 months ago

Yes, Self wasn't even sure if Cole would be back.... if he and Sherron both skipped out of school after last year, Robinson would be logging about 20 minutes a game already. We could easily lose 3 of our top 4 scorers after this year, or as little as 1... although very unlikely.

I still don't understand what peoples' confusion is about our recruiting situation. Our depth is absolutely filthy next year no matter what.... Self knows this. Recruits know this. The only recruits we're GONNA land are the ones who are all about the team and a national championship, so any kid who goes somewhere else because that school has a better "depth" situation might not be the best fit, anyway.

William Blake 4 years, 3 months ago

That's right, ParisHawk.... and it isn't completely about building the huge point buffer... The most important aspect is that CS sees the proper execution with certain lineups first, before going deep on the bench.

TRob wants more minutes, but both Morris twins need more minutes, too, to develop their game because the twins are part of the bread and butter of this year's team. And the execution that needs to happen isn't just having the twins put up points... it's more about the twins working well within the team; timing and placement within seams, receiving passes in the right spot and feeding passes, too. Then executing the right shot. Positioning for rebounds. Team defense as well as individual defensive skills...

The twins have not only improved from last year... they've both improved during this preseason.

At this point of the year, CS is looking for the most improvements wherever they can be found. Both twins are making big improvements through their PT, so I don't see how CS can give a lot more minutes to TRob right now.

Amazing how we have the most depth at the 4-spot this year when it was definitely our achilles' heel last year!

Whatever happened to the possibility that Marcus would get some 3-spot minutes? X has to rest sometimes, too.

JayhawkPiller82 4 years, 3 months ago

If Lou Perkins has a connection to Wichita State, then why can't we schedule a game annually with them? I'm tired of the Alcorn State's, Belmont's &Cornell's (how's that for alphabet soup???). That game would add some excitement to our schedule even though we would loose a home game every other year....heaven forbid!!!

ParisHawk 4 years, 3 months ago

There's another reason why TRob is not getting more minutes: the guys in the regular rotation are putting games away late instead of early, so Self can't substitute as freely.

Our schedule is not as tough as expected, but there's nothing to be done about it. There is, however, something that can and should be done: this year's A-team should put games out of reach early, so next year's A-team can get more on-the-court training! Paraphrasing Coach Self, we can't lose any more opportunities to get better.

We have to get better faster than everyone else if we want to win it all.

STLJHawk86 4 years, 3 months ago

KUshaw - assuming their is something to be read into Self's comments AND assuming that your scenario #2 is true, it is probably a short-term phenomonen because if you look at the entire quote it makes reference to a situation which is somewhat unlikely in this era of the OAD. "It’s hard for freshmen to come in and impact a team, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU RETURN YOUR TOP NINE SCORERS.

For now, I am enjoying the ride.

William Blake 4 years, 3 months ago

OakvilleJHawk (anonymous) says...

Once again, I implore patience regarding Mr. Robinson:

I'm on board with your post!

kushaw 4 years, 3 months ago

"“He’s coming fast. He’s still a little bit away. It’s hard for freshmen to come in and impact a team, especially when you return your top nine scorers. Our freshmen are doing great. It’s just we have some other good guys,” Self added."

I know I am reading into this quote way too much, but that is what I do, I like to stir the pot a little and get people thinking. What does that quote mean to you? To me, it read a couple of different ways.

1) Absolutely nothing and I am completely satisfied with the Jayhawks and Self and will wait until the game tonight against Belmont so I can read something tomorrow from LJW.

2) What does that quote really mean? How would recruits take that quote? Are recruits shying away from KU at the moment because of that exact quote and players like Robinson and EJ (I have no doubt that they will be great Jayhawks). I don't really know, but it got some thoughts stirring in the back of my head that quotes like that could be possible scenarios why KU has missed out some big-time recruits lately.

I am not overly concerned with the future of the program, but when you have a program as good as KU's right now every little quote or thought could put some type of self doubt amongst us. LOL! Tough being #1 isn't it?

Tony Bandle 4 years, 3 months ago

Once again, I implore patience regarding Mr. Robinson:

1] Physically, he is light years ahead of where the Twins were at this time last year. 2] He has a warrior's attitude now that took the twins a year to grasp. 3] He shows flashes of brilliance [the turn around hook shot, the follow-up dunk] that shows he does have "all the tools" and those flashes will only become more frequent. 4] But most of all, he is hungry..he wants to improve, he wants to play, he wants to dominate. He'll work on the foul shooting, the ball protection, the avoidance of fouls.

Please, everyone, I've have been watching this fine, young man since his sophomore year.....he will someday be a monster and as "KU" and I have said repeatedly, the lane will become "Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood!!!

didjabuti 4 years, 3 months ago

I've had a man-crush on Robinson since I saw him at Late-Night. Sure it's just a scrimage with pretty much no defense. But it seemed like he was able to do whatever he wanted to. The kid has a nose for the ball and will be an outstanding rebounder. He already has some moves, after working with Danny I'm sure we will see great things out of him. Plus he is a big body, and will be able to use that once he learns to play D. I also hope for the best for him if just for the hope that it can get us more players from the DC area. The place is a hotbed of bball talent.

kchawkfan 4 years, 3 months ago

To my relatively untrained eye, TRob appears to have the potential to be one of the premier big men in the country. He is ahead of where the twins were at this point last year, in my opinion. We've seen what an offseason with D Man can do. The only question in my mind is how much he will improve this season with a NC at stake.

gchawk 4 years, 3 months ago

Solomon. Now that is funny, thanks for the humor. Ceslestep1, I was thinking the same thing. Any news concerning Cole's grandmother?

William Blake 4 years, 3 months ago

Yates said: "Someone should tell Robinson that at times he is too careless with the ball."

• we all see that... but I don't think that is the approach CS takes in helping him along. He tries to get the guys to play without too much thought, because he sees that as hampering their game. They need to play loose and their moves have to come through instinct. He'll just teach him to make better passes and how to control his body.... It's the same as what he did with TT.... repetition in practice is what brought TT back, and repetition will be the way to develop TRob.

• sounds like a great focus to me. TRob may not be an All-American by March, but I'll be surprised if he doesn't become a solid big off the bench this year. His upside is off the charts. I wish we could find a couple more recruits like him...

Bill Thompson 4 years, 3 months ago

T-Rob is a diamond in the rough just like the Morris twins were last year. He's just gotta be less of a "bull in the china closet" on D. I see great things for this kid and Kansas!

celestep1 4 years, 3 months ago

These pesky killers bees (Bradley Bears, Bucknell Bison) make me very nervous.

KU 4 years, 3 months ago

DocB.......Good call regarding Temple. I'm more concerned about that game than Tennessee. Temple's a very, very good defensive team. Very tough and physical--like a Bill Self team. Tennessee is an enigma. Yeah, they have great athletes, but they looked horrible against a barely-above-average USC team.

KU 4 years, 3 months ago

Did you see the reaction on Bill Self's face after the lightning quick post move Thomas Robinson made (the one and only of the game) against Cal? It looked like Self was trying to conceal his excitement over the kid. I, too, think we will be calling Allen Fieldhouse Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood next year.

jayhawkboogeyman 4 years, 3 months ago

Until Robinson starts hitting FTs, he shouldn't see any minutes in big game situations. A lot of potential, but we can't have a 20% shooter out there.

DocB 4 years, 3 months ago

Hey Memhawk, let's not overlook another "T" team, Temple. They are good. They pretty well destroyed top 5 team Villanova and are on a roll. Last time the Jayhawks came to Philly we were ranked 2 or 3 and got murdered by unranked Villanova. This Temple game has me worried.

cklarock 4 years, 3 months ago

Thomas Robinson will be an amazing player for KU -- this kid is for real.

Clarence Haynes 4 years, 3 months ago

I see the same crap about Robinson as I saw about the twins last year! He's a freshman people and he is contributing! One year under D Manning and you guys will eat your words!

FinalFour1993 4 years, 3 months ago

I had the great experience of holding my 4-year-old over the ropes to high-five the players as they went to the locker rooms at half-time of the Cal game. Besides noticing how completely POd every single player and coach was, the thing I really took away from my first close-up of the team was just how HUGE T-Rob FELT! Cole went by; wow, big guy (I'm 5-4). Robinson went by and he could have knocked me over with the amount of space he took up with his presence. This guy will be big time, but he's learning. Patience.

Eybea Opiner 4 years, 3 months ago

I sure hope the coaches read this. Probably none of them has thought to tell Robinson that. I can hear it now.

Self: Danny, did you tell Robinson to be careful with the ball? Danny: No, I thought Dooley did. Dooley: That's not my job. Kurtis was supposed to do that. Townsend: Bill, I thought you said you were going to tell him. Bill: Well, someone get out there and tell Robinson that at times he is too careless with the ball. Thanks to Yates33333 we may start to see some real progress.

AsadZ 4 years, 3 months ago

Robinson and all KU Bigs must utilize this time off in the gym and learn from Danny M, one of the greatest college player. I hope they understand how lucky they are to have his coaching services available to them. Look at how Danny changed careers of Sasha and Darnel, both of them now making real good coin playing professional basketball. Robinson has great talent but at times he plays out of control. He has a great motor but needs to use it when on court in a smarter way. Whitey getting eligible and becoming stronger can also get some of his minutes. Practices will have even greater energy and bounce. This is awesome.

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 3 months ago

Looking at the Belmont roster, with only two guys 6-10 or taller, one of which has only played 3 minutes this season, Cole should be like the main character in Little Shop of Horrors with constant pleas of "Feed Me!". I look for him to go double-bouble easily while the Morrises dominate at their positions. Sherron, Brady, Tyshawn and Tyrel will rotate in and out very effectively to erase the memory of Belmont's 1 point loss to Duke, which seems to be a defining moment for their program.

Yates33333 - I totally agree with your honesty in the assesment of TRob. Maybe conference play will see him being more effective, somehow. If not, he could go the way of a few talented guys who had to opt to transfer to get to a team where minutes were theirs for the taking. Hope not, however!

This is the third of four teams we play this season from Tennessee. A "W" is obviously expected here as we own against the first two. The last Tennessee team we face will be a true test as a road game with some solid post-season experience and a bunch of real athletes. They will be the first of two tough teams we face on the road who both wear orange and both go by UT. Also, by then, they will have whipped up on Memphis with a wider margin that we were able to do earlier this season.

Belmont is next, though.

RCJHKU

Clarence Haynes 4 years, 3 months ago

C'mon yates33333...in time (sooner rather than later), any cynic will see Robinson in a totally different vain! Robinson is special and will become more of an enforcer inside as a rebounder, a shot blocker, and a scorer! I am biased however, because (many moons ago) I attended the same DC high school (Eastern) that he attended as a sophomore. I have his back but I also believe that this young man will be a contributor down the stretch this year!

yates33333 4 years, 3 months ago

Someone should tell Robinson that at times he is too careless with the ball. It is hard to judge his defense. Other centers seem to be taller and larger than he. He also gets fouls called on him that aren't called on other players. I don't know why, but that seems to be the situation. If not this year he will be a great player down the line.