Thursday, December 24, 2009

Reed not bothered by fewer minutes

Kansas guard Tyrel Reed looks to pass out to the wing as he moves past Radford center Artsiom Parakhouski during the second half, Wednesday, Dec. 9, 2009 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Tyrel Reed, who averaged 20.7 minutes per game a year ago compared to 15.2 mpg this still-young season, isn’t stressed over reduced playing time.

“I understand playing time is going to be hard to come by. We’ve got a lot of good players right now. Whoever is playing best at the time will get the minutes,” said Reed, Kansas University’s 6-foot-3, 183-pound combo guard from Burlington.

The junior scored three points with three assists and two steals in 11 minutes in Tuesday’s 84-69 victory over California in Allen Fieldhouse.

For the year, he’s averaged 4.7 points off 42.9 percent shooting. He’s converted 13 of 33 threes (39.0 percent) and has dished 17 assists against just four turnovers.

“We are deep, which gives us an opportunity whenever you are out there to play as hard as you can,” said Reed, who last year averaged 6.5 points per game. He hit 40.7 percent of his shots, including 49 of 126 threes (38.9 percent). He totaled 37 assists, 36 turnovers.

“We’ve got a lot of guys to throw at teams. Everybody has to give 100 percent when they are out there,” Reed added.

KU added another player to the perimeter mix two games ago when Brady Morningstar returned from a one-semester suspension.

“It’s great to see Brady back out there,” Reed said of the 6-3 junior guard out of Free State High. “He’s been through a lot and had a great attitude through it all. He’s a great defender and ball-mover. It’s great to see him out there for us.”

Also in the mix for second-semester minutes is freshman Jeff Withey, a former Arizona center who was ineligible first semester in accordance with NCAA transfer rules.

Coach Bill Self, who had a nine-man rotation Tuesday — Elijah Johnson entered early but played just one minute — just might expand his core group.

“I subbed too much early, way too much,” Self said. “I did it because the game was so fast. I told myself I was going to give Elijah a chance to guard (Jerome) Randle. He went by him right off the bat.

“I do think Elijah deserves to be out there. I think C.J. (Henry) probably deserves to be out there some, but in a game like that, I don’t see how you could say those other guys needed to come out because everybody was playing pretty well.”

Self said the unlimited practice time the Jayhawks will have from Saturday night until the start of second-semester classes on Jan. 14 will help Morningstar and Withey enter into the mix.

“We’ll have unlimited practice time. We can go twice a day if we want,” Self said. “We always feel with our teams that some of the greatest improvement has occurred over semester break.”

Reed has noticed that improvement in his previous two years at KU.

“I think we are a work in progress,” Reed said of the Jayhawks, 11-0 heading into an 8 p.m. home contest against Belmont next Tuesday. “We’ve got a lot of guys and are still trying to figure some things out with the rotation. We just had Brady come back and Jeff come back.

“As a team, we haven’t gotten real good until after Christmas break. We get a lot of time to put in our sets and work on basketball because there’s no set amount of time we can practice. Once that comes around, I think we’re going to get better fast,” Reed added.

Senior Sherron Collins said he loves when it’s all basketball and no studies.

“It’ll be tough ... we’ll have two a days,” Collins said. “Like coach said the other day: ‘Nobody’s here. No family. No friends. It’s just me and you.’ It’s fun,” Collins added. “I’ve done it four years. I’m enjoying it all.”

Self realizes the Jayhawks can improve in many areas.

“Our guys have to learn to have killer instinct. Our guys have to learn to play to that (key) possession as opposed to playing when the possessions don’t count,” Self said. “To me if you turn it over, you have to be the best defender on the other end because you can’t compound that turnover. We don’t have that. I think our guys are 100 percent in agreement we have to be better than this.”

Comments

Timmay97 11 years, 11 months ago

As far as I'm concerned......this is when the season truly starts! KU is about to get tested in true road games against Temple (which I'm proud to say I'm going to to) and Tennessee. Then it's on to conference play.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, the only team that you can even remotely throw in as a possibility to dethron KU as #1 is Texas. For the love of God nobody better put Kentucky on that list. If you're going to give KU crap about beating Michigan by 11 and Cal by 15 when Kentucky just beat Long Beach State by 13 AT HOME, then that is just unfair.

Enjoy the holidays everyone. I truly enjoy reading all of your posts. The one thing I can say without doubt is that the KU faithful have to be the most knowledgable basketball fans....hands down!

Dyrk Dugan 11 years, 11 months ago

Tyrel is a good kid, whom i believe, is really enjoying his time at a big time bball school like Kansas. Let's face it, he is a pretty good player on a team with several really good players....it's just tough to get the minutes.

He is doing his job, coming in and spelling some guys...and he usually cans one or two threes a game. remember, he started off like 0-6 or something...and now he's 13-33? a real good pct. lately.

AsadZ 11 years, 11 months ago

njjayhawk and Timmay97: Glad to see that you will be at the Temple game. I live in CT and have also purchased tickets for this game. I know its going to be a hositile environmnet but I'll have my KANSAS shirt and the 2008 National Champions hat on to cheer for the Hawks. I hope that all KU fans can get together for a rally before the game.

Tyrel, EJ, CJ: We know that you are not getting many minutes but you guys will be an important part of this team and your contributions will be needed for KU to go deep this year. Thanks to you all from KU fans.

rockbrooklynchalk 11 years, 11 months ago

Nj, Timmay, Asad - I will also be at the Temple game decked out in Crimson and Red. We need to be loud. It's going to be a very hostile environment.

John Brown 11 years, 11 months ago

The season is still young and the practice games are behind us. I look forward to watching Withey play and am excited to see Morningstar back in the line up. Reed will get his minutes as he adds stability, smarts, and outside shooting to the rotation. I am sure that a deep bench leads to fewer injuries and greater strength at the end of the season. It will be fun to watch this year play out and the players develop in the second half of the season.

Matt Bowers 11 years, 11 months ago

Belmont is the game that HCBS uses to see if those things they worked on in practice have paid off and what needs to be the point of emphasis before Temple. As a fan and not a coach, it seems to me the only two things missing from this team are defense and a rotation. If HCBS can get this team to be as defensive as teams in the past then how could we be stopped? The rotation will work it self out, defense needs to be practiced. Merry Christmas to the Jayhawks and all of you.

Rock Chalk

Steve Brown 11 years, 11 months ago

Is Mountain Man going to get time with his grandmother this week?

Temple & Tennessee true tests: one bite at a time.

controversy for you: How many in conf. losses will the BIG 12 champs or co/champs have?

none, one, two, three, more?

My money is on 3, am I crazy or are we better or is the league softer than I suspect?

TexasHawk44 11 years, 11 months ago

lighthawk: am i crazy or have we not even played one conference game? And how is the league "softer than I suspect" with the #1 and #2 teams in the country are in the "the league" and the very same league has 5 teams in the AP Top 25 this week? How do you truly judge the strength of a league (I assume you mean conference) when there have been zero conference games played?

Temple and Tennessee will be tests, no doubt. But the real meat and potatoes of the shaping of our team will be forged in the Big 12 conference, which will be challenging enough, even with Oklahoma not playing as well as people anticipated.

I vote for: YES, you are CRAZY! Merry Christmas!

cre017 11 years, 11 months ago

I don't see a challenge for KU until maybe Temple but KU will play to their level and then close it out in the second half. Our true first raod test will be against Tennessee. TT has me a little on edge, if it was on the road...but it's not so we will just put the meat necklesses around their necks and go to work just like senior night a few years ago. Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

hawk316 11 years, 11 months ago

What a great kid! This young man has such a good attitude and is obviously an outstanding teammate. He's the kind of quality person I want on our teams at KU. Tyrel is not only a hard-working, steady player, but has that knack of hitting the big shot when needed. Keep up the good work, Tyrel!

CRIMSONnBLUE 11 years, 11 months ago

A rally before the Temple game sounds like a great idea! I'll be there. Who's going to make it happen?

rawkhawk 11 years, 11 months ago

My Philly sister says the KU pre-game rally is at a bar, Ladder 15, and then folks will take the subway to the Liacouras Center at Temple. RCJH and Merry Christmas everybody.

Aligned 11 years, 11 months ago

Tyrel is pure class and has been a big part of the success that KU has experienced since he's been there. Thanks for representing the university in such a positive way Tyrel.

youowethehawks 11 years, 11 months ago

Tyrel could start for any feline-oriented team in the nation. I'm glad we've got him as our 3rd or 4th guard off the bench. Kid is fast, smart and has a pretty good perimiter game (which flows from the previous two attributes), not to mention, he plays enthusiastic D. His butt-busting in practice and the weight room sets an excellent example for the youngsters. He's one of the biggest assets HCBS has.

I just can't get over the fact that he hang cleans more than Sherron... that's friggin ridiculous. Sherron must have terrible form, he should only have to move the bar about 6 inches.

Keep up the good work Tyrel, on and off the court.

Mike Kendall 11 years, 11 months ago

After watching Mizzou dismantle Illinois last night, having seen Texas Tech in person, watching K-State twice on the flat-screen (the one game was against Lonnie Kruger's Running Rebels, in Vegas), and, of course, watching the Longhorns twice, the Champion of the Conference could have three losses. I don't think a team will win the League with four L's. It could also, be two losses. I figure the game at Missouri and Texas could be losses for the Jayhawks--noticed I said COULD be losses, but not necessarily losses. I would throw Texas A&M in the mix, too, but at Washington the other night, Turgeon's team lost a starter for the year--looked like the young man broke an ankle or whatever, and they had to cart him off the floor on a stretcher. But like I said before, and a lot of you all have said this too, it will be a major battle to win in the Big 12, especially, on the road. There will not be an easy win (maybe Colorado) on the road for KU. Every team is going to give us their best shot. This is what makes it fun and exciting! You know the Mizzou game in Columbia will be a nailbiter--it always is. You think that if both Texas and KU are undefeated going into the Feb. 8th game, do you think that there could be a HUGE buildup for that game? OMG, it will be huge! Take them one at a time. Jayhawks will be getting better--that's a given--and we have the best coach anyone could have. Rock Chalk!

justinryman 11 years, 11 months ago

Role players know thier role, and Tyrel gets it and you have to love a kid for that. If you look at the past four years on the football team it's very comparable to Kerry Meir.

Basketball is a true team sport and Tyrel is showing that he a a true team player and helping all his team members. He is not only making an impact on them but on how he himself will be in the long run as a person. Way to go young man.

jaybate 11 years, 11 months ago

KU will have no losses, if Withey can contribute ten minutes a game without significant drop off from Cole's play.

One or two if he can't.

jaybate 11 years, 11 months ago

On Christmas Eve with Bill Self's Top Secret, For-Santa's-Eyes-Only-Xmas-Wish-List:

For Sherron: a slightly better sense of when to take over, for he is still the massively parallel impact man on this team.

For Cole: a working pair of lungs, peace and freedom from pain for his grammy, and a tooth post that stays in.

For Marcus/Markieff: Out of the first true composite All-American 4 ever, continued consistency for Marcus, plus more consistency for Kieff, and a promise that next season the inside offense will be routed through both of them playing simultaneously.

For Tyshawn: the courage and strength to navigate the great trees in the flourescent forest around the basket with the controlled ferocity and wisdom of an Oticaya Navi'ii in Avatar.

For Xavier: Defense with a mean streak and Brady taking 20 minutes (5 each half from X and 5 each half from Tyshawn) a game so that Xavier doe not have to guard, or even think about, the other team's first option. It will mean another 5ppg to X's average.

Brady: Parties close enough to walk home from; a bump to 45% from trey.

Tyrel: Getting back to 40% from trey.

Elijah: sudden ability to guard a first option on a good team for ten minutes--5 each half.

TRob: sudden ability to foul once every five minutes instead of once every 2 minutes, so Self can find situations for TRob's potentially devastating back to the basket offense that he and Manning seem to be hatching even as I type.

CJ: good health and a chance that does not involve serious injury to anyone else, because CJ's few appearances indicate he definitely has the goods (i.e., we are set for next year at the 1, if he will only stay).

jaybate 11 years, 11 months ago

Conner: an electric razor and one more year of defensive footwork.

Buford: a 50 point blow out somewhere in Texas, so his parents can see him play.

Jordan: A case of 12 hour diarrhea strikes everyone in the backcourt but Jordan and Chase Buford the last half of a blowout against MU and MU battles back to a tie, only to have Jordan drain a trey from the corner for a fairy tale finish that Lawrence filmmakers Kevin Wilmott, Greg Hurd and gang make into a movie called "Jayhawk" starring a cast of unknowns, plus Kansan David Straithairn as Bill Self, Dodge City native Dennis Hopper as Lew Perkins, Kansan Paul Ruud, in the stretch of his career, as Danny Manning, and Canadian Rick Moranis as Kyle Keller. The fairy tale for the masses goes super mega globally, reinstitutes faith in the American dream at home and abroad, and turns Lawrence, Kansas, in to the New Hollywood. Lew gives mid courts seats, each with one seat between them, to: Eva Longoria, Jessica Alba, Jessica Biel, Natalie Portman, Milla Jovovich, Angelina Jolie, and Rebecca Romijn. Lew then auctions the seats between them for $750 million dollars to KU's richest alums. Lawrence, as a center of gravity for the new media, becomes a place ESPN has to move its headquarters, too. Vitale is promptly fired. Bilas becomes number one talking head. KU ever more receives equitable coverage at ESPN.

Joe Dooley: UConn to wake up and retire Calhoun and hire his most deserving assistant.

Kurtis Townsend: UCLA waking up, firing Ben "One Trick Hack'n'Slap" Howland and hiring Townsend to turn UCLA around.

Danny Manning: a case of sudden-onset hair-loss insecurity driving him to wear a sufficiently bad toupe to take board rats' minds off the debate about whether or not Self wears one.

Brett Ballard: A bump up to third assistant coach.

Barry Hinson - Increasingly rich external relations to direct.

Kyle Keller - The rapid spread of massively parallel processing, computing in the cloud, and voice only interface with computers, so Kyle's hunt and peck typing no longer keeps him up all night assembling the video clips.

Wait! Sorry, gotta go. I hear what sounds like sleigh runners on the shingles...

100 11 years, 11 months ago

Keep up the hard work Jayhawks!!!

Crisp passing runs athletic "man to man challenge every pass" teams like UK & UT into the ground!!!

No one in the nation is as deep as us -- pass, pass, pass!!!

And attack the 1-3-1!!!! -- no loopey passes, pull their defenders away, use a dribble or two for a better angle & make that sloppy zone run their as$es off until they're beat! (or until Withey or Cole catches your alley oop pass over their one deep defender).

Pass, Pass, Pass -- wear their starters down in the first five minutes!

We're proud of you guys & happy holidays Jayhawks!

"Passing Wins Championships"

40-0.

jaybate 11 years, 11 months ago

"Great coaching helps passing win championships."

40-0.

Steve Brown 11 years, 11 months ago

Texashawk: thanks for question: my attempt to say I fear 2-3 losses may be in store for the conf. champion as the conf. is much stronger than I suspected couple months ago, the Big 12 is whooping up on a ton of teams. my poor choice of words

I'm wanting the only undefeated team to be KY going into INDY as pride goeth before the great fall. (not wanting us to lose mid season, yet if we do it shouldn't lessen our chances for the banners) sometimes a little tarnish on the pot shows where to polish it.

Jaybate you say Twins first KU all-american 4 ever? Wasn't BH Born power fw to CLyde before he took over as center and final four MVP the next year. what about Dave Robisch, Raef, Collision, Pollard, even Simeon who played center was actually PF right? Don't mean to question the JBate, just help me with what you mean about the twins being our first what ever?