Thursday, December 17, 2009

Kerry Meier accepts Shrine Bowl invite

Outgoing football seniors opine on Mangino ordeal

They may be gone, but KU football's outgoing senior class surely isn't forgotten.

Kansas University senior wide receiver Kerry Meier said Wednesday that he will accept an invitation to compete in the East-West Shrine Game at 2 p.m. on Jan. 23 at the Florida Citrus Bowl in Orlando, Fla.

The contest will be televised on ESPN2.

“I’m a happy guy,” Meier said Wednesday. “It’s a chance for me to go out and play against some of the best guys in college football and a chance for me to perform and get some exposure.”

Meier will be joined by KU teammate Darrell Stuckey, who accepted an invite to the all-star game Tuesday.

“My family already booked the tickets to go down there,” Stuckey said, “so we’re going to have fun in Orlando.”

Comments

100 9 years, 10 months ago

Congrats Kerry!!!!!

You will always be one of our favorite all time Jayhawks, right up there with Gale Sayers!!!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Mike Kendall 9 years, 10 months ago

This is great, great news! I know someone in the NFL will take a chance on you! I still have the cover of Sports Illustrated where you are burning the Cyclones during the 2007-08 Orange Bowl Season on my wall. Great memories and only the best of luck to you. Enjoy Orlando!

Steve Brown 9 years, 10 months ago

Thanks Kerry, well know we know why MM called to 'stay in touch' certainly KM will be hot interview for sports writers, he didn't call other non bowl game players did he, so self serving...still trying to control the message even at the shrine bowl. KM is class act and didn't quit this season, going to miss him.

shelleysue 9 years, 10 months ago

Hey light - I think it's very possible that Coach M. and Meier have a special relationship. I've said this before but it was Mangino's extra medical testing requirements that found Meier's condition. (if you recall, Mangino heard about the condition, researched it and broadened the testing of incoming players). That coupled with the fact that instead of leaving Meier on the sideline when he lost the #1 QB spot, he put him somewhere else on the field. I don't think any other players went through that kind of journey with MM.

prairie_dog 9 years, 10 months ago

Two of KU's finest who are destined to make serious $s on Sunday afternoons. Hopefully, they will be able to steer clear of the trainwreck at Arrowhead.

Trey Hohman 9 years, 10 months ago

Wonder if there have been any Kerry Meier vs. Wes Welker comparisons yet from Todd McShay? This kid can seriously ball on Sundays.

Steve Brown 9 years, 10 months ago

SS you're right, the relationship is special. correct.

would have been even more special to call before not the day MM discovered KM was headed to shrine bowl w. other coaches and bevy of national media, just sayin'.

like putting $ in the red salvation army buckets only when with others.

yes, it was a special journey and KM did not quit mid season as so many others when they were misled.

shelleysue 9 years, 10 months ago

light - Not that it's relevant but I must have missed something somewhere. Meier announced Wednesday that he would accept the invitation and he also said Mangino called him Monday.

Kenneth Hillman 9 years, 10 months ago

shelleysue - thank you for your post and you are spot on. So many haters out there that think they know exactly what is going on behind the scenes or what personal motivations may be. Quit bagging on MM people. KM is a great example of some of the good MM did while at KU, not all was bad. MM's time is done at KU and now we move FORWARD.

Kerry Meier is probably my all-time favorite Jayhawk on the football field. Best of luck with your future KM.

Dan Harris 9 years, 10 months ago

CONGRATS KERRY! I will never forget " the catch" (Mizzu)