Tuesday, December 15, 2009

KU’s Darrell Stuckey will play in East-West Shrine Game

KU safety Darrell Stuckey tries to bring down Nebraska wide receiver Niles Paul in the first half of Saturday's game.

Kansas University senior safety Darrell Stuckey will play in the East-West Shrine Game at 2 p.m. on Jan. 23 at the Florida Citrus Bowl in Orlando, Fla. The game will be televised on ESPN2.

Stuckey racked up a team-high 93 tackles last season, earning Big 12 honorable mention honors.

A Kansas City, Kan., native, Stuckey will suit up for the West squad, which will be coached by former Kansas City Chiefs coach Marty Schottenheimer.

Stuckey will report to Orlando on Jan. 16 to begin practices. Players in the game also make a hospital visit and spend time with NFL personnel.

Former Jayhawks Marcus Henry, Brandon McAnderson and James McClinton also played in the East-West Shrine game in 2008.

Comments

Hawk1969 9 years, 6 months ago

Best of luck Stuckey. Thanks for the many memories you left as a Jayhawk.

suttonku 9 years, 6 months ago

Im sure Kerry got an invite but he needs to focus on the combine, he has nothing left to prove. IMO Kerry needs to put on another 20 pounds and become a TE. Hes a weapon with those great hands and we all know he can block. Not fast or quick enough for the NFL but he would be nice at TE for sure.

Jeff Worthington 9 years, 6 months ago

Congrats to Stuckey!

Time for Meier and Reesing to get their invites also. Don't care about whether or not Reesing is a "pro-style" QB. He deserves to go based on how great his career was.

Bill Kackley 9 years, 6 months ago

Hands and running perfect routes tend to make up for speed.

Kyle Cornish 9 years, 6 months ago

I live down here in Texas and a guy who is a draft expert out of Dallas actually talked about Stuckey. He was talking about the Cowboys and he said that he wouldn't be shocked if he went as high as sixth round. He said the Cowboys should go out on a limb and go get him.

DSommersby 9 years, 6 months ago

Heard Todd today say on Rock Chalk Sports Talk say that he has been invited to play in the Texas vs the Nation All Star Game. Game gets scouted by NFL and CFL people. I assume he will play for Texas being a native Texan. He also mentioned returning to Lawrence in January to work out with Kerry, Jake, and Darrell to get ready for pro day and other tryout opportunities. Would love to see each of these guys keep playing.

I think Stuckey will go much higher than sixth round. I think he played this year with one banged up arm that he really hurt in week one vs Northern Colorado. Imagine playing football with one bad wing and still getting 96 tackles with new secondary mates almost every week.

If he can grade out healthy at the combine he could vault himself up to the second round. He probably goes 3rd or 4th, but he is much higher than a sixth rounder. Stuckey is a definite pro. Would love to see the Chiefs get him, but almost hope he gets to go to a better team. He is a player. I know William Moore from Mizzou went 2nd round last year. He may have had better size and measurables than Stuckey, but I really believe Stuckey is a better player at Safety. Stuckey can have a nice NFL career. What a guy to have in your locker room as well. I am sure Schottenheimer will enjoy coaching him.

I think Kerry needs to just work on his speed. He is a wideout, and not a Tight End. I think he can get drafted and make a team. I see all sorts of NFL receivers who I think Kerry can outplay.

Jake needs to get with the right team in a camp that needs his toughness and speed. He needs to get healthy and hope he gets a fair shot. If he can impress on special teams he might make a chance for himself.

We had some great captains who will be tough to replace. Best of luck to all of them.

jhokfan 9 years, 6 months ago

Not sure if 20 pounds would be enough to make Kerry an NFL tight end. He's fast enough to be a receiver but I'm not sure he's quick enough. I hope he makes it to the next level in some capacity.

suttonku 9 years, 6 months ago

I think 241 pounds spread out over 6'3 would be plenty. He is quick enough to be a TE and he has more than average speed for the position. Hes not an NFL WR at this point in time until he improves his speed a ton. I would think if he increased his size and strength he would be a great TE, great. And if Briscoe is around in the 2nd round the Chiefs had better take him because he would be a nice addition with Bowe and Chambers.

rcjh22 9 years, 6 months ago

Also he would help the chiefs with not dropping balls. They are first place in the NFL in dropped passes.

Fruity22 9 years, 6 months ago

Congrats Darrell, it will be your first chance all year to play with some talent around you.

milehighhawk 9 years, 6 months ago

I think Meier could be a great slot WR in the NFL.

Glad to see Stuckey has another shot to show the scouts a little somethin-somethin