Monday, December 14, 2009

How Keegan voted — Dec. 14 college basketball poll

The following is Journal-World sports editor Tom Keegan's latest ballot in the Associated Press college basketball poll.

1. Kansas
  20. Brigham Young
  21. UNLV
  22. Gonzaga
  23. Georgia Tech
  24. Butler
  25. Temple

Comments

Ryan Mullen 10 years, 7 months ago

I hate Kentucky as much as anyone but voting them #6 they have had more impressive wins than anyone you moron.

David Hewitt 10 years, 7 months ago

At this point in the season, I don't think you can justify leaving off any of the 11 undefeated teams. You should be including Seton Hall (8-0) and MIssouri State (9-0). (The other 9 are Kansas, Texas, Purdue, Syracuse, West Virginia, Kentucky, Georgetown, New Mexico and Texas Tech).

Ryan Mullen 10 years, 7 months ago

It's all about who you have played thus far. The rpi should have alot to do with the rankings.

ginger2015 10 years, 7 months ago

Jayhawkinmullen, it's December the 14th. Third, fourth, fifth, sixth, what diiference does it make? Did you have a bad day?

Spencer Goff 10 years, 7 months ago

Not to be a post flamer, but RPI means nothing at this point in the season. Team strength is based on rankings, which are based on early season predictions. For example, the first team to upset OU looked pretty good in the RPI, they don't look so hot now.

Kentucky has looked solid, but to play devils advocate, they beat a North Carolina team that is rebuilding completely (at home, no less), and a Connecticut team that I swear doesn't have a guy who can hit a shot past fifteen feet from the basket. So I think the value of both wins is a little misleading. Roy will have UNC playing ball his way by March, but I don't see how UConn can magically find shooters. They have played two tough opponents, lost both. They didn't look great against William and Mary and Hofstra, seriously. In both games Calhoun had to keep his starters in for the majority of the game because he had to keep his pedal on the gas. Actually, I'm not sure Calhoun has a bench, can anyone confirm this?

Not to change topics from UK, but UConn has issues. On their entire roster, UConn has five players who have hit a three point basket this year. And Walker and Robinson are the only real shooters, that is a problem. As a comparison, off memory alone, I can name eight KU players that hit a three in the same game. As a side note, who didn't laugh at the three pointer for the win against Kentucky? Seriously, he pushed it up there like he barely had the strength to shoot from that distance. I digress...

So the point of this post? UK is good, but their "big" wins came at home against a very young UNC team, and a five deep UConn team that has no depth or outside shooting. Coach Cal is right to tell his guys to not buy the hype, they let anybody back in the game.

Also, I think Texas looks like a very, very deep team. Get hot when you play 'em guys. Get hot.

Scott Smetana 10 years, 7 months ago

JHawkinmullin,
If the Lakers were in the NCAA, undefeated by a winning margin of 50, but have one of the worst strength of schedules so far, would you rank them below Kentucky? Probably so, using your logic... moron

Ryan Mullen 10 years, 7 months ago

Pikesmoron, Let me give you an example how what you said is stupid. Remember at the beginning of the football season when we were undefeated heading into the conference season and then Colorado happened. Being undefeated and playing all cupcakes at the beginning of the year earned the Hawks a top 25 at first. Look how that turned out. If anyone on here does not think strength of scedule does not play into it you all are morons. Krohnutz,
UNC is in the same boat we were in last year and we ended up pretty good. They are not rebuilding they have a good team.

exiledhawkfan 10 years, 7 months ago

does anyone else ever wonder if the people who feel the need to be rude and act like asses on an anonymous sports message board are asses in person also? interesting sociology study...

Ryan Mullen 10 years, 7 months ago

exiled, Interesting you should say that. I am a pretty easy going person in real life I love my wife and my family. I love really all of my life, but sometimes when I get on here my fanatic side comes out. Today however a had a final and told a teacher he was an a%#hole which was very unlike me. So today yes I was rude in real life. Good observation.

KULightsOut 10 years, 7 months ago

Right about the RPI. Wrong about the Raging.

David Hewitt 10 years, 7 months ago

Missouri State beat Auburn and Tulsa.... Tulsa beat OK State. They have an RPI of 23 according to CBS. I'm not saying they should be top-10, but they deserve to get some recognition for a 9-0 start.

Seton Hall beat UMass and won at Cornell (whose only other loss is at Syracuse); they play Temple on Saturday. They have an RPI of 48.

Kansas, also 9-0, has an RPI of 19, just behind 6-2 William & Mary.