Saturday, December 12, 2009

Turner Gill: The Resume

Turner Gill, in this undated photo, started his coaching career as an understudy to Nebraska football coach Tom Osborne and ascended to assistant head coach under Frank Solich.

Feature

Kansas Head Football Coach Turner Gill

Turner Gill was named the head coach of the Kansas football team Sunday, December 15, 2009.

YouTube

Turner Gill - Speechless after MAC Championship 2008

YouTube

Turner Gill's 40-yard run vs. Oklahoma in 1983

YouTube

Turner Gill stays in Buffalo

Reader poll

KU has offered Turner Gill the head football coaching job. Would this be a good hire for the Jayhawks?

• Yes 69% 2999 votes
  • No 30% 1299 votes

4298 total votes.

2006-present - Buffalo Bulls

Head coach

• 20-30 overall
  • Mid-American Conference Coach of the Year, 2007
  • MAC Championship, 2008
  • Led Bulls to first-ever bowl appearance, 2009 (2008 season)
  • Inherited program with 12 victories in past eight seasons

2005 - Green Bay Packers

Player development coordinator, offensive assistant

1992-2004 - Nebraska Cornhuskers

Wide receivers coach (2004)

Assistant head coach (2003)

Quarterbacks coach (1992-2002)

Player Development Director

• Coached All-American quarterback Tommy Frazier
  • Coached Heisman-winning quarterback Eric Crouch
  • Finalist for Frank Broyles Award, best assistant coach (2002)

1991 - Southern Methodist Mustangs

Receivers coach

1990 - University of North Texas

Student

• Earned bachelor's in Behavior Analysis

1986-1988 - Cleveland Indians

Shortstop

• Played three seasons in the Cleveland Indians minor league system
  • Recorded a .199 batting average at A and AA levels

1984-1985 - Montreal Concordes

Quarterback

• Led Canadian Football League team to two playoff berths

1980-1983 - Nebraska Cornhuskers

Quarterback

• Heisman Trophy finalist (1983)
  • Named to All-Decade Big Eight team
  • 28-2 (20-0 Big Eight) record as starter

Comments

jayhawkdon 4 years, 9 months ago

Give him a chance everyone!!!!

David Reed 4 years, 9 months ago

cause a lot of people are having a mental breakdown over this hire

Nick Cole 4 years, 9 months ago

Because his resume is so impressive sarcasm

Eliott Reeder 4 years, 9 months ago

I like it. Just happy to have a coach.

100 4 years, 9 months ago

This is a really good hire.

The recruiting will be so good with Turner -- this guy can get us some of those five stars that we used to only dream of getting!!!

I gotta say as much as Harbough & Tuberville looked great, as "coaches" they would take awhile to learn to "recruit" the Midwest & Texas...

Turner is doing that already & with a recently crowned Orange Bowl crowned team he will take it to new heights...

Turner Gill, my Jayhawk friends, is the perfect, powerful & calming storm we needed!!!

Every high school blue chip in Texas already has been talked to by Turner Gill.

Lew Perkins knew this & that's why our current crop will stay & be even more stacked next year than we would've been.

And Turner Gill is the utmost gentleman & a great spokesman exuding class -- just what we need right now after the stuff we've been through...

Great hire Lew!

Mike Kendall 4 years, 9 months ago

I keep hearing that Gill is a great recruiter in Texas, and, if that is the case, he is definitely a good hire. The ultimate measuring stick will be, "Can you beat K-State and Mizzou?" Another measuring stick will be, "Can you beat any team from the Big 12 South?" Let's face it, Mangino was terrible against the South. For right now, the Jayhawk Nation has to keep the faith and give this man his chance. Rock Chalk!

100 4 years, 9 months ago

I have never seen this much excitement about KU football.

Ever.

Jonathan Briles 4 years, 9 months ago

Okay, I have been very confused with all of the talk that he is an amazing recruiter who can recruit Texas like a Texas coach. In his last 4 recruiting classes he had 13 TX recruits. Kansas had 11 and 12 if you count Vernon Brooks in last years class alone. His recruiting classes rank among the worst every year. His recruits are from all over the nation is that why he is considered great because I'm very curious. This question is not rhetorical. I honestly want someone who knows to answer this question. What makes him such a great recruiter?

Mike Kendall 4 years, 9 months ago

KanFan27 & thekansasboy1987--

Those all good questions--which most likely will be answered at his official press conference, whenever Lew schedules it.

Ed Fox 4 years, 9 months ago

You can't compare his Buffalo classes to KU classes. He was recruiting to Buffalo for crying out loud and still managed to get Texans to go there. More important is his history recruiting at Nebraska where he was tasked with recruiting Texas and did so incredibly well for the NU national championship teams in the 90s. His history extends beyond Buffalo, which a lot of people seem to forget. And what he did there is almost miraculous if you understand that program's history. Add to that the factm that he's still a high school legend in Texans and he, unlike the SEC candidates, knows the region, how to recruit here, and how to win in the Big XII. He's also an incredible person who gets the absolute most out of his players. This is a great hire for KU and where the program is at and hoping to go.

jhawkrulz 4 years, 9 months ago

the fact that there hasn't been a press conference scheduled gives me hope this is just another rumor.

Jonathan Briles 4 years, 9 months ago

I dont know if it is a rumor or not but the KC star put out an article on Gill and it says that he actually can recruit some good coaches and coordinators. The star is reporting that he has gotten Chuck Long as our offensive coordinator, and Carl Torbush as our Defensive coordinator. Both great coaches who I would love to have. Knowing that and assuming its true which it may not be I just became a little bigger fan of this situation.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 9 months ago

Media outlets, including ESPN News, Yahoo and others are saying it is Gill. Surely the media can't be 0-2!

suttonku 4 years, 9 months ago

Im pumped about the hire and I think it was the correct decision. I am disgusted at all of the KU fans that are mad at Lew and dont like Gill...Look, You cannot look at this guy's overall record because he came into a terrible situation in Buffalo. Its impossible to recruit and yet he won the MAC in 2008. Hes impressive and we should really start to get some nice recruits as a result. Who wouldnt want to play for a Heisman finalist? Turner Gill was great for Nebraska and he will be a great coach for KU. A lot of people had doubts about Mangino and I think we can all agree that Mangino did a nice job. I love Turner Gill and welcome to Lawrence!

mr_jhawk4477 4 years, 9 months ago

If we really got Long and Torbush as offensive and defensive coordinators then it sounds like we will have a great staff. Both Long and Torbush struggled as head coaches but have great track records as coordinators. A definite improvement from Bowen and even Warriner considering how much our talented offense struggled at times this year

Lone_salina_kufan 4 years, 9 months ago

I have to admit, Turner Gill was like my 4th choice. I wanted Harbaugh, Skip Holtz, or Tubberville before him. But after looking at his resume, look at the positives this guys gives you. He can speak as a National Championship and Heisman level player. Apparently recruits Texas well, but should have some connections in new areas, especially the east. He has been in the NFL, so can speak to players about what it takes to play in that league.
And he will be looked at as a hero by many in the African American community. That will mean a lot and carry a lot of weight when he sits in a living room with a lot of parents.

I was not crazy about this at first, but I hope, and more importantly, really think I was wrong. Lookin' forward to whats ahead!

DocBean 4 years, 9 months ago

I hope he can out-coach his resume. 20-30 against inferior MAC coaches and MAC competition doesn't give me a lot of confidence that he is ready to sit at the big kids table.

He sounds like a good guy, and we're probably saving a million or a more a year by having him. So maybe he's not bad.

I hope he's not making anything near the amount we were hearing Harbaugh was offered, because that resume doesn't deserve it. I'm hoping he ends up being the best of the bunch.

I also hope Harbaugh ends up coaching the Bears or another pro team in a few months, and Standford is hunting for a new coach.

JoeHawk81 4 years, 9 months ago

I can understand people who were hoping for a bigger name--I was too. But come on.....does anybody ever read The Bottom Ten on ESPN? A few years back, Buffalo topped the list every week. Every single week. They were--and I am not exaggerating a bit here--the worst football team within the first three or four planets. (Buffalo-area high school kids routinely had to lineback for them due to late season injuries). I remember hearing husker fans pining for Gill right before they hired Pelini. I'm fired up! Plus, let's face it, the man looks awfully sharp in blue.

Kevin Long 4 years, 9 months ago

He had better bring his own staff. Any good coach does. Clint Bowen sucks something terrible. I want a defense that doesn't give up the most yards after catch in the country.

rawkhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

Gill is a right fit for KU. RCJH

jhokfan 4 years, 9 months ago

The amazing part is he spent 4 years on the Nebraska football team and managed to avoid any jail time.

He was not my first choice but I think he will win over the fans in time. I'm already on his bandwagon.