Friday, December 11, 2009

Morris twins facing familiar hoops foe

Kansas forward Marcus Morris delivers a dunk before the UCLA defense during the second half, Sunday, Dec 6, 2009 at Pauley Pavilion.

Morris twins facing familiar foe

The Morris twins considered signing with La Salle, KU's weekend opponent, before finally landing with the Jayhawks. The team will take on La Salle at the Sprint Center.

Marcus Morris agreed to participate in a quick word association game before a Kansas University basketball practice the other day.

“Hey Marcus,” an inquisitor began, “if somebody says the word ‘La Salle’ to you, what first comes to mind?’’

“My favorite school,” Morris responded without hesitation.

La Salle, a private Catholic university with an enrollment of 7,331 students, is dear to the heart of the Kansas University sophomore forward — and also his brother, Markieff — mainly because it’s located in the twins’ hometown of Philadelphia.

“When I go home, I play there all the time,” Marcus Morris said of La Salle’s Gola Arena, which is located “five to 10 minutes from where I grew up.

“I know the ins and outs of the school. It’s like Kansas to me. I’ve been going there since I was a freshman in high school, playing with those guys and playing tournaments at La Salle,” Marcus Morris noted.

He and Markieff get a chance to play against their beloved La Salle Explorers (6-2) on Saturday in KU’s annual holiday hoops game in Kansas City, Mo. Tip is 1 p.m. in Sprint Center.

“I love the coaches. One of my best friends is point guard for them,” Marcus said of Rodney Green. “I was this close to committing to La Salle. I know everybody on the team personally, so I mean it’s going to be a great game.”

The Morris twins were teammates of La Salle’s Green and Parrish Grant in 2006 when the four helped Philadelphia Prep Charter High to the Pennsylvania Class 4A state title.

“I know Rodney can’t shoot,” Markieff Morris said jokingly of his buddy Green. “He can finish really well. He has really big hands. He’s a great passer. But he just can’t shoot.”

Green had a response when told of Markieff’s lighthearted assessment of his game.

“I’d tell him to check the books. That’ll be proof,” the 6-foot-5 Green said in a phone interview with the Journal-World.

Indeed, the stat sheets show that Green is La Salle’s leading scorer (18.0 ppg), who has made 46.5 percent of his shots, including a sizzling 45.2 percent of his threes (14 of 31).

“I’m going to call him right after this interview,” Green added of Markieff. The two talk to each other on the phone at least twice a week.

“Actually he’s been trash-talking on the Internet this week,” Green said. “I think Marcus talks more. Markieff talks more trash.”

Markieff says Green “doesn’t talk trash, but eventually I’ll say something to him to get him all excited. I’ll be like, ‘You’ve got to come to Kansas. It’ll be tough for you to beat us.’ He’ll probably be like, ‘We’ll see.’ He doesn’t talk too much.”

The twins definitely like to talk about where La Salle is located — Philly, where the Jayhawks will tangle with Temple on Jan. 2.

“I love the Phillies, the Flyers (but) I don’t watch hockey too much,” Markieff said. “I don’t like the Sixers at all. I just like A.I.,” he added of Allen Iverson.

Why doesn’t he like the city’s NBA team?

“Cause they let A.I. go,” Markieff said. “Now they’re getting on my good side because they got A.I. back.” Iverson, who played for the Sixers for 10 seasons, recently returned after playing for Denver, Detroit and Memphis the last four seasons.

The twins have a special way of showing their loyalty to the City of Brotherly Love.

“I don’t eat cheesesteaks unless it’s from Philly. That’s one of my main rules,” Marcus Morris said. “You can ask my brother the same thing. If it isn’t from Philly, I don’t eat it.”

“I don’t eat Philly cheesesteaks from anywhere but Philly,” Markieff noted. “I feel like I’m disrespecting my city when I do that.”

Philly natives such as Green definitely respect the twins, who have helped No. 1-ranked KU to an 8-0 record.

Proof is Green’s agreeing to take part in a little word association game.

“Rodney ... if somebody says the word ‘Kansas’ to you, what first comes to mind?”

“The twins,” Green said. “The twins.”

Comments

Derek Conway 5 years ago

That is pretty impressive that they were playing with the La Salle team as freshman in high school. That must have helped their bball skills out tremendously going through high school getting ready for KU.

jaybate 5 years ago

The guys from Philly are gonna be amazed when they see Marcus jumping 7 inches higher than he used to, while weighing an extra quarter.

skwahjayog 5 years ago

Jaybate, one of my favorite posts from you in a long time! Short, succint, yet insightful--makes the point without taking multiple posts. Sorry, but it's gotten to the point where I just don't have the time or patience to read through your essays. I know I might be missing out on good stuff, but it just gets to be too much. Please write more of these shorter posts (along with the longer ones, which I know are loved by others out there). Have an awesome day! :-)

Timmay97 5 years ago

I got tickets to the Temple game Jan. 2. Looking forward to it! Living in NJ, I try to get to at least one game a year. I never miss a game, and am so obsessed with the Jayhawks that I can't even Tivo a game. Always needs to be watched live.

Next year, I will be heading to Vegas baby!!! Me and about 6 friends. Did it when they beat Florida in overtime and will do it again next year. That still ranks as the best game I've ever been to LIVE! Julian Wright went off!

I swear Bill Self does what he can to schedule games in his players home towns. Temple for the twins, Vegas for Elijah (though this was known before he commited), even Cole got lucky to play in Minneapolis in the tourney.

KUbsee69 5 years ago

I just wish he would have said "my second favorite school".

ChicagoJHawk 5 years ago

jaybate,

I think the twins used to dunk a lot, even in high school, its just that when they got to KU they weren't elligible to play & were out of shape & therefore didn't dunk too often. They missed a lot of practices, even the games we played in Canada, and didn't work out at all. They underestimated how tough D1 bball is. Now I think they're just back to doing what they used to do.

skwahjayog, I agree! :-)

jaybate 5 years ago

skwahjayog,

U R yz 2 Tyrel my tweets, if that only wht u have clock 4. :-)

xplain alias.

Norsky?

jaybate 5 years ago

ChicagoJHawk,

Interesting thought. Guess true. Still, Morri hops and lbs. up.

(Note: this a 2rd try 4 skwahjayog.)

Mike Metoyer 5 years ago

Timmay 97......I've been waiting all year for the Temple game. Got my tickets as soon as they went on sale......Living in Philly, I had to withstand the Chiefs A$$ kicking here, I'll be flying the Jayhawk blue with pride....

Tony Bandle 5 years ago

On second thought, Jaybate my friend, it's taking me longer to decipher your shorthand than it was to enjoy your essays.....please reboot to original program :}

jaybate 5 years ago

Yo mikeymike,

Don't drink da wudder in Philly. Its all polluted with concrete tennis shoes. Stick with thuh Rolling Rock. :-)

jaybate 5 years ago

OakvilleJHawk,

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ben Kane 5 years ago

i don't believe what i'm seeing. seems like someone has jacked jaybate's username and is posting for him.

GregMetz 5 years ago

JHWK 5 years ago

Heading to Philly from Chicago to see the Jayhawks! Wear blue, brethren!!

See if we can get their arena sounding sweet like Pauley did last weekend when you could here the Rock Chalk chant echoing! Regardless of the sloppiness of that game, it was a SWEET moment for all to hear!

Let's see some lock-down D tomorrow! Rock Chalk!

aerohawk 5 years ago

I went to the game in philly when KU played villanova. They got like 10 inches of snow during the game and I couldn't drive back to DC, got stuck in philly. Would have been better had the hawks won the game, but still great to see them outside of the field house.

Joe Baker 5 years ago

Twins-

Put the friendships on hold for 40 mins and beat La Salle!!

RCJHKU

PAHAWK1 5 years ago

Will be at the Temple game with family and friends.

Smasher88 5 years ago

Good call JHWK. Colorado always seemed like the venue that got the loudest chant. Didn't think i'd ever hear it that loud in a place like Pauley. Love that stuff.

LA_hawk 5 years ago

My friend and I were at Pauley doing the chant, it was a thing of beauty!

jaybate 5 years ago

Dear GregMetz,

I am sorry that having the last name "Metz" has made you feel so persecuted and so negative about life, but it is your, and not my, cross to bear.

It could be worse. Your last name could be Diletto.

Deal with it. :-)

jaybate 5 years ago

chuckberry32,

I do this go-short thing every once in awhile.

I just threw in the Text-lish for fun.

Roll over Beethoven, I'm texting you 2 by 2...

jaybate 5 years ago

GregMetz follow up,

I want to apologize for my previous post to you, Metzly.

I try to make allowance for persons suffering terminal piles in the holiday season, as you apparently are. :-)

Rock chalk!

jaybate 5 years ago

Slasher88,

The Rock Chalk chant carries farther in thin air. NASA reputedly wants to use our chant for a test on a planet with an extremely thin atmosphere. They are looking for a homocidal maniac to send on the space voyage to lighten earth's load. Like to volunteer?

Just havin' a little Friday fun wich ya. :-)

John Boyle 5 years ago

Ours is not to question the great and powerful jaybate. We are only called upon to ponder his intellect and wish for some of his masterful wisdom to spread on us to anoint us in perspicacity.

100 5 years ago

Chicago,

High school courts are so much easier to get up & down. It's only 10 feet but it adds up quickly. Especially tough after jumping to bigger court in college, when all of your energy is suddenly devoted to playing tough D & paying attention on D. When a star on high school team saves energy on D by clogging middle, it gives him more energy to go shorter distance & do things such as dunk. Keep in mind too, big men have to actually run baseline to baseline every half possession. Guards often only have to run free throw line to free throw line. It all adds up for a big man until one meets the right strength coach.

Also huge difference to be aerobically in shape & increase verts. by 7 inches.

Big men high school blue chips need to take note of the Hudy & Coach Danny!

"Big Men Win Championships"

40-0.

Tony Bandle 5 years ago

kushaw

Did you see my job application yet? Posting on KU from the comfort of home and getting paid for it sounds too good to be true.. ] It's like being a married billionaire sports personality with girls all over the world and everyone, especially your wife, still loves you. C'mon, who could ever think that could happen!!

Notice how the word tiger when used in context with human beings becomes insulting.[Woods, Mizzou, Detroit, Memphis].The real tigers should sue for defamation of character!!

skwahjayog 5 years ago

Hey, Jaybate,

My first chance to get back to the computer--teaching all day then my son's middle school basketball practice... skwahjayog is "Go Jayhawks" backwards, with the jay inverted. I was having an off day when I first signed in--twas the best I could do! :-)

jhawkr 5 years ago

Message to forum readers and posters,

Do not, repeat DO NOT encourage Jaybate and never think I ponder his intellect ! When you do you all see what happens !

Go Hawks .........

P.S. Big Bill, keep playing those freshman. EJ is the real deal and TRob justs needs some more floor time.