Friday, December 11, 2009

Ailing Appleton cheers on Kansas

Kansas University guard Tyrone Appleton, right, defends Washburn guard Mario Scott during in this file photo from Nov. 4, 2008.

Tyrone Appleton, who was a backup point guard at Kansas University last season, cheered his former teammates from the lower-level, westside Allen Fieldhouse bleachers on Wednesday night.

“They are like my brothers,” Appleton said after KU’s 99-64 rout of Radford. “They’ll always be my brothers.”

Appleton, who announced plans to transfer on April 9 following his junior season at KU, actually is living in Lawrence, but is not enrolled in school.

The 6-foot-2, 180-pounder from Gary, Ind., who averaged 2.2 minutes per game in 21 games his one year at KU, surfaced at Southwest Baptist (Mo.) University last summer.

However, he did not stick around for the start of fall semester.

“My hip flexor is still messed up. I didn’t get cleared to play this year,” said Appleton, who suffered the injury last season.

“I’m hanging out, taking this year off. I’m rehabbing — going to a chiropractor in Kansas City — and looking forward to school next year.”

Appleton said he will play ball at NCAA Div. II school Midwestern State in 2010-11.

Midwestern State, which is located in Wichita Falls, Texas, is coached by Grant McCasland, Appleton’s former coach at Midland (Texas) College.

“I’ll go there this summer,” said Appleton, who may have to file for some sort of appeal to play at Midwestern State. It’s believed since he enrolled at NCAA Div. II Southwest Baptist, he’s ineligible to play ball at any other NCAA institution.

As far KU, he said: “I don’t regret it (leaving in search of more playing time). I miss the atmosphere, the people, the teammates and coaching staff. I’m going to follow them as much as I can. I think they are great this year. Man, they’ve got a lot of weapons. They are deep. They’ve got 12 players who can play.”

Comments

KEITHMILES05 4 years, 10 months ago

A few weeks ago his dad had no idea where his kid was. Rather odd developments.

Billy Derringer 4 years, 10 months ago

i dont get it did he drop out of school all together? can some plz fill us in

jaybate 4 years, 10 months ago

Sounds like some KU alum is looking after Tyrone, until he gets down to Midwestern.

oldalum 4 years, 10 months ago

Why would you think that, Jaybate? I can't think of any reason a KU alum would be worrying about him. I don't even know if he hurt his hip when he was still at KU. I suppose it's possible that if he did he is still covered by his player insurance. Anyone know anything about his mother or the rest of his family and where they are located? He could just be estranged from his father but not from everyone else.

billhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Take advantage of the opportunity to get a free education at KU or wherever you end up! It doesn't sound like professional basketball is in your future.
We wish you much success in whatever path life takes you. Rock Chalk!

FairgroveJayhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

derringer29, in the article from November 24th Appleton gives an explanation of why he's not enrolled this year. Hopefully he'll be back in class and on the court soon.

Jonathan Allison 4 years, 10 months ago

I don't like the usage of the word ailing in the headline. It sounds like he has some kind of terminal illness or something.

4 years, 10 months ago

Best of luck, Tyrone. I hope everything works out for you at Midwestern State and in all of your future endeavors. You will always be part of the KU family.

RCJH

FSUJHAWK 4 years, 10 months ago

Good luck TA...get healthy and keep ya head straight...

RCJHGKU!!!

MinnesotaJay 4 years, 10 months ago

That's a pretty classy attitude. Best of everything to you, Tyrone.

jaybate 4 years, 10 months ago

oldalum,

Good question. I guessed a college town in a recession (or depression depending on your index) was not the easiest place to find a job that would cover an apartment, make car payments, insurance premiums, gas payments, cell phone charges, and also buy food, drink, clothing and entertainment. I mean Ty has got to live, drive, eat, drink, text, and have a little fun, doesn't he? The story didn't mention what he was doing for a living on his year off. And I never got the idea that he was from an over-privileged family. Maybe you have a more probable explanation?

jaybate 4 years, 10 months ago

oldalum again,

I wasn't implying anything inappropriate regarding Ty. I just thought maybe some alum gave Ty a job to tide him over, at a time when jobs were extremely hard to come by.

Steve Brown 4 years, 10 months ago

Ty: once a jayhawk always a jayhawk, (unless you stab a guy in a midnight bar fight)

Ty you take care -

TrueBlue92 4 years, 10 months ago

Ever since I was 20 I haven't been checking in regularly with my parents -- am I also some sort of outcast from my family?

oldalum 4 years, 10 months ago

Jaybate: It didn't sound like he was working. That's why I asked about other relatives. He said he was rehabbing and going to a chiropractor in KC. Do you suppose he is still eligible for rehab here because he was hurt while a KU player? I wish Gary had asked a few more questions!!

100 4 years, 10 months ago

I'd be very proud to have my grandkids to grow up with the character of Tyrone -- this interview tells me everything about him I need to know -- he walks the walk & talks from his heart. He'll always be a Jayhawk in my book.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Tyrone!

Jim Jackson 4 years, 10 months ago

Very classy Ty. I miss Lawrence KS, I'm sure he's enjoying himself. Hopefully he gets his free education and takes advantage of it.

Rock Chalk!

KEITHMILES05 4 years, 10 months ago

KU or their insurance isn't paying anything for him.

His father has a PhD in physical therapy. The article a few weeks ago clearly indicates he is very annoyed with Tyrone and said he has no idea where he was even at. He was placed in a less than positive light by his own father.

The comment about "being stabbed" as far as "once a Jayhawk, always a Jayhawk" is ridiculous. I consider J. R. Gidden much more of a Jayhawk than Appleton.

I can guarantee you that Self didn't cry any tears when this kid left. I heard it with my own ears at the BB banquet. He was barely mentioned but Quintrell Thomas was given glowing acolades by Self. Hence, it is obvious Appleton didn't fit in at KU and Self was glad for him to leave.

It was talked about on message boards earlier this week Appleton was at Sherron's apartment. I sure hope to goodness the guy doesn't get Sherron into trouble. Also, why go to a chiropractor in KC and when there are bunches of them in Lawrence?

Things just don't add up on this kid.

Aligned 4 years, 10 months ago

"Opinions are one thing but facts are quite another."

I can guarantee you that you don't know what Bill Self is thinking.

And btw, Tyrone's relationship with his father is certainly none of your business or concern.

KEITHMILES05 4 years, 10 months ago

I can guarantee you what his father said in the paper is what he said. I also can guarantee you what I saw and heard last April was the truth. Were you there? Guess not idiot. Now, shut your piehole and take it like a woman.