Originally published December 7, 2009 at 01:43p.m., updated December 7, 2009 at 10:35a.m.

Report: KU’s Perkins met with Gill on Sunday

Two of three pundits have chosen Kansas and coach Turner Gill, pictured here coaching Buffalo, to take fourth in the north.

Buffalo football coach Turner Gill interviewed Sunday for the Kansas University head coaching position, a Buffalo News report indicated Monday.

Buffalo athletic director Warde Manuel confirmed through sports information director that KU athletic director Lew Perkins had contacted the school seeking permission to speak with Gill, and indicated that the request was granted.

As of Monday morning, Buffalo officials were unaware whether or not a meeting between Perkins and Gill had taken place, though the Buffalo News cited a source that said a meeting was held Sunday in New York City.

Perkins is scheduled to accompany KU quarterback Todd Reesing to the National Football Foundation Awards Dinner on Tuesday night at New York City's Waldorf-Astoria Hotel.

Gill, one of a handful of coaches mentioned as possible replacements for the recently resigned Mark Mangino, is in his fourth season as Buffalo's head coach, having led the program to the 2008 MAC championship and their first bowl game in half a century.

Despite recent comments stating he was comfortable at Buffalo, meanwhile, Gill has multiple ties to both the Big 12 and KU. Two years ago, he interviewed for the Nebraska head coaching job that eventually went to Bo Pelini, while his daughter, Jordan, is a sophomore at KU.

Interestingly, Mark Mangino's daughter, Samantha, was also a sophomore at KU when Mangino was hired as KU's coach in 2001.

Comments

TwistedFish31 10 years, 10 months ago

Lew...we're trying to stay with you here but...PLEASE NO!!!

tulsahawkfan 10 years, 10 months ago

I might have missed it but has anyone on here mentioned Skip Holtz? I don't think Gill would be bad but can't imagine him being 1st choice.

Kevin Kelly 10 years, 10 months ago

People you do realize he's an ex-husker QB and QB coach for NU for years??? Gill is a perfect fit. He's a mad recruiter and knows the game inside and out. Someone is going to give this guy some facilities someday and then look out. I hope its us.

TwistedFish31 10 years, 10 months ago

Turner Gill's 2009 MAC Redord:

UTEP W 23-17 Pittsburgh L 54-27 UCF L 23-17 Temple L 37-13 Central Michigan L 20-13 Gardner-Webb W 40-3 Akron W 21-17 Western Mich L 34-31 OT Bowling Green L 30-29 Ohio L 27-24 Miami (OH) W 42-17 Kent State W 9-6

Really Lew? This is who you're interviewing? What am I missing here?

Trey Hohman 10 years, 10 months ago

A Turner Gill hire is about as attractive as a Port Authority whore.

Andy Hess 10 years, 10 months ago

why are we bothering to interview a guy who has a sub .500 record in the MAC?

TwistedFish31 10 years, 10 months ago

Right choice? Based on what dijgratt? NEJhawk...based on what? Because he's went to Nebraska? Nebraska didn't hire him...why is he so perfect for Kansas?

BorderBattleKU21 10 years, 10 months ago

This cant be the top prospect. This is a downgrade.

Ryan Richey 10 years, 10 months ago

Who would we be happy with??? Please be realistic. Bill Belichick isn't coming to Lawrence.

raefrules15 10 years, 10 months ago

i think he is a good coach that is in a bad program in buffalo right now

FortWorthJayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Uh he sucks but this is for the benefit of EEOC. He won't be our coach.

TwistedFish31 10 years, 10 months ago

This Jayhawk fans Top 5 Choices:

1) Jim Harbaugh (yeah yeah, someone has a cousin that knows Jim's barber and he's not coming here) 2) Chalie Strong 3) Tommy Tuberville 4) Phillip Fulmer 5) Kevin Sumlin

Somwhere 25 would be a MAC coach with a losing record.

Michael Mulvihill 10 years, 10 months ago

how about - fedora, fulmer, sumlin or edsall but for the love of god please not turner

djgratt59 10 years, 10 months ago

twisted - you can wtfu (wake the f up) from your DREAM now

Jayhawk1116 10 years, 10 months ago

You're all absolutely right. If we can't pull Urban Meyer away from Florida then we should shut down our football program. After all, this is mighty Kansas Football. Jesus. Remember, this IS Kansas football, not basketball. Just because you want it doesn't mean you're going to get it. Reality has a nasty habit of getting in the way.

How many of you were ecstatic over Mangino's hire? BorderBattke, do you think Lew is just going to interview one coach and end it? Come on, think guys! He's going to be in the neighborhood with Todd. Why wouldn't he interview while he's there?

TwistedFish31 10 years, 10 months ago

Yeah cleverboy dgjratt, we all know what wtfu means. What do you think my dream is? Wanting a better coach than some sub .500 MAC coach from Nebraska? How about you answer the question on what you base your superior knowledge of this guy?

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 10 years, 10 months ago

hmm. not sure if this would be a good hire or not. lots of negativity on the boards here.

kufaneg 10 years, 10 months ago

Fulmer isn't coming, period (and i wouldn't want him). We can probably hire Gill at half of what MM got. He is a young and upcoming coach. I wouldn't have any problem with Gill taking the reigns. I guarantee he can't do any worse than Mangino did this year.

Jayhawk1116 10 years, 10 months ago

By the way, Gill turned around a dead program and won a conference championship. How many have we won? We were the FAVORITE to get to the championship game, but finished DEAD LAST INSTEAD. Maybe Kansas isn't on a lot of coaches' dream job lists. I'm not saying Gill is the best or worst choice, but let's be reasonable.

djgratt59 10 years, 10 months ago

I will ask you the same question - on what authority do you claim T. Gill could not succeede at Kansas?

Jim Pendleton 10 years, 10 months ago

Twistedfish - You do not speak for all Jayhawk fans in this matter. Don't recall seeing a poll on the fans choice that represents your alledged group. I will at least give you number one on your list (Harbaugh), as that is who my choice would be. Gill is not a horrible choice, as I do like his recruiting ties, but he would probably still be about two or three down the list of my favorites.

Jayhawk1116 - You and all the others who always have to throw in "we are a basketball school" reference need to quit this. Contrary to some beliefs on these boards, we are trying to build a top football program here, and while it will take some doing, we don't need the constant references to being a basketball school only.

I have said it before and I will say it again - there is no rule that says your school can't be great in more than one sport. Why not us? We have the great facilities now. We just need the right guy who shares the vision we all have of wanting to be great. Yes it is a shame things have got to this point after the '07 & '08 seasons. I for one believe we can continue the upswing despite the disappointment of this season.

One more item to throw out for everyone to chew on - Might not happen, but ESPN has had many blurbs today saying Notre Dame might hire a coach as early as Sunday. They keep referencing Stoops, although he continues to deny it. What if - Stoops does go to ND, how might that affect other jobs not only around the country, but now you have an opening at KU & OU in the Big 12. So how might that have an affect on what we do? Interesting possibilities. As always, Rock Chalk!

swunruh 10 years, 10 months ago

Tulsahawkfan....i agree with you.....Skip Holtz...He just smoked Sumlin and Houston today. They guy has done wonders at ECU and Lew hired knew him at UConn.

William Cormode 10 years, 10 months ago

Buffalos players look like they have absolutely no direction when they are playing out there. He is awful at strategizing. NO NO NO GILL!!

Jayhawk1116 10 years, 10 months ago

Just to stir the turd a little, if Bowen is gone, what about Herm Edwards as defensive coordinator? With Herm's personality and coaching style I think kids would run through brick walls for him. He might not have done so well in the pros, but I think he would be a perfect fit for the college game. I think he's a natural teacher.

MNHawk23 10 years, 10 months ago

Gill isnt my favorite but he would definitely be a good choice. Buffalo won 10 games in the entire 7 years before Gill got there. and in only 3 years he led them to a MAC championship. this year wasnt great but 5 of their losses were 1 possession losses. Hes a players coach and i think he'd be a very good recruiter. again, not my top choice but lets not overreact and act like this would be the worst thing ever. he'd be a good fit

Hawk1969 10 years, 10 months ago

Man, please consider Harbaugh or Venables.

Layne Pierce 10 years, 10 months ago

8 years ago, I would have jumped at a guy like Turner Gill, but that was facilities, attendance and a 2.3 million salary ago. We are not in that league any more.

Let's all stand pat that we want a coach, who is worthy of what we have to offer. Which is a lot more than it used to be.

Turner Gill lacks the experience, and the winning record. He can recruit Texas, and perhaps will do it someday, but right now, given our crisis situation, Lew would be nuts to go with this guy.

I believe that Lew is going to be very thorough. Even Fedora in my opinion would be a better choice, but he too lacks the experience compared to other. I really prefer Skip Holtz, or June Jones, Harbaugh would be great.

TwistedFish31 10 years, 10 months ago

djgratt - you can't answer the question so you ask me the same question? Lame...

djgratt59 10 years, 10 months ago

Twisted - this is a basic technique used in Logics - I suppose you missed that class.

Jayhawk1116 10 years, 10 months ago

This just in: Nebraska has made defense relevant in the Big 12 again. I hope Lew stresses defense in his interviews. I love a good defense.

TwistedFish31 10 years, 10 months ago

Actually, most children use the same tactics when they have no answer. You made a statement, I asked you what you based your statement on, you have no clue so you ask me the same question. Then you try and twist it into it being my issue. Nice try.

YaBoyJrod 10 years, 10 months ago

Turner Gill is not that great of a coach. And he brings his religion into the picture to much. If the school he went to and played for passed on him what does that say. Buff. isnt even in the picture for the MAC title. Please please do not hire him. Harbaugh would be the choice but I dont think he has any intention of coming to KU.

truefan 10 years, 10 months ago

I agree that Harbaugh and Holtz would be great, but they are pretty high on the wish list. I think KU can pay more than Stanford (his "big" raise would be to 1.25 million). As far as Holtz, I think he has pretty much signed on the dotted line for the coaching job at Virginia.

Gill has made Buffalo relevant for the first time since joining Div. I, so he at least knows how to build a program. I'm a little worried that he isn't dominating his conference, but he would still be a great fit for the area.

Sumlin is a great offensive coach, but his teams don't play defense and I really don't want to watch KU put up 50+ and still lose. Again, Sumlin would still be a great fit for the area, but I'm going to need to see some defense.

Venables is a K-Stater so that would just be akward. Also, his defenses always collapse in the big games, specifically bowl games.

Herm Edwards, No. That is all.

I don't know anything about Fedora, but I wasn't really impressed by Southern Miss. this year. They looked good against KU because our team decided that defense wasn't important this year.

I trust Lew. He'll make a good choice. He'll probably surprise all of us.

TwistedFish31 10 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, go back to your mizzou board sleepygirl.

djgratt59 10 years, 10 months ago

twisted - you're dummer than a box of rocks.. that yawn was to indicate discussion over.

TwistedFish31 10 years, 10 months ago

Of course it's over because you have no answer. I'd say you argue like a little girl but that would be insulting to little girls.

Oh, and good one truefan! Just what this board needs...a little toady.

cstewa04 10 years, 10 months ago

Hey everybody chill. We have to trust in Lew to make an offer to the best candidate. No, Gill doesn't sound like the best candidate to me either, but if Lew sits down with him and several others and then comes back and says Gill has the best plan for us....then so be it. Plus you don't know if Lew has already put out feelers to Harbaugh's, Sumlin's, and Holt's agents and got re-buffed. Still gotta move on. My guess is he'll be interviewing Gill tommorrow morning, flying out to Cali for the b-ball game, and maybe staying for a late-night meeting with Harbaugh. That's how it works in my world! We gotta trust in our AD folks. I know what your worried about, but Lew is not gonna hire another Terry Allen.

d_prowess 10 years, 10 months ago

I am not sure how serious Lew is about Gill, but we do need to remember that the NCAA wants schools to interview minority coaches. So it is hard to know how serious the interview is compared to whether it is just to adhere to the NCAA wishes.
I think Gill would be a good coach, but I don't think he would be great and I would hope we could get someone with a more proven track record!

Steve Brown 10 years, 10 months ago

take a breath, there exist a NCAA regulation/suggestion that before a Div. 1 program hires a new coach, similar to NFL rules, that several candidates including various backgrounds are granted interviews.

I think to prevent a 'set up' like Roy to replace Matt @ UNC or Lew bringing in some UConn FB coach without an open process. besides the more we TALK with the better we know our direction. Lew talk to ALL of them.

I for one don't know enough to know whether Gill, Harbaugh, Cromwell, Gruden, or Captain Kangaroo would be our best next coach, yet I trust the process and Lew to find that person.

Steve Brown 10 years, 10 months ago

Stoops to Notre Dame: Stoops takes Mad Mark to south bend as offensive line coach, in order to beat down Lew, we schedule home and home series and beat them 4 straight. Get game of the week in Larry town and million $ pay day for a non conf. game, for eeverything else there is master card.

Brilliant.

canisiusmba 10 years, 10 months ago

Let's see Turner Gill in four short years raised UB from the doormat in D-I to a MAC championship last year and it's 1st bowl game in 50 years. Gill was also an assistant at Nebraska for 13 years and was an assistant coach for the Green Bay Packers. These qualifications more than fit the bill. Let's see 5-7 this year was due to tremendous amount of injuires steeeming from a sophomore QB who did not have any meaningful playing time until this year and lost arguably a mid to late 2nd round pick in RB James Starks. Yes, 5-7 is not a strong record, but, some could argue that this was one of his best coaching jobs. If Coach Gill could turnaround a football doormat in UB of D-I, I am sure he can help return KU to respectability. The big thing with Gill is that you get a tremendous recruiter. Plus, a coach with integrity that will raise any program's profile. If not KU, than another university that has some ties to big-time sports will come calling. Just ask the coaches in the MAC if Gill is a worthy big-time coach, all coaches would say yes.

truefan 10 years, 10 months ago

Toady doesn't really apply here. I wasn't defending or supporting either of you and I certainly do not need your approval, Twisted. Don't flatter yourself.

loudog 10 years, 10 months ago

At this point, I'd just be happy with whoever decides to teach defense. Sitting here watching the Big 12 championship game... it's the first time I've seen Nebraska this year. 1:44 left in the game and they're up. They have the same disparity between offense and defense that we do, only it's their offense that sucks rather than their defense... and they look like a legit threat to beat UT for the championship. If they can do that with a crappy offense, think about how much better we could have done this year with at least a decent defense...

HIRE DEFENSIVELY!!! If that's Gill, so be it.

truefan 10 years, 10 months ago

I agree loudog, but not having offense can be just as frustrating. Nebraska is really proving that defense can keep you in any game though.

Gordon Penny 10 years, 10 months ago

I'm still behind my comment earlier that we should absolutely go for an assistant coach from a proven program rather than a head coach from a mediocre program. If Lew thinks Turner Gill or Jim Harbaugh, either one, is the right man for the job, Lew should lose his job quicker than he can say 0-12.

Justin LoBurgio 10 years, 10 months ago

rastameta....... what do you think? You seem to have a solid background with KU football and the current ongoings in the athletic department. Any inside information? What is your take on Gill and how he would fit at KU?

Gordon Penny 10 years, 10 months ago

Maybe we can interview Mangino for the job

okiedave 10 years, 10 months ago

The issue is not about selecting among a group of candidates -- its about who is willing to come. Lew would have selected his candidate on the day after Mangino resigned had there been a hirable candidate that said "yes, I'll come to Kansas to coach a middle class football program where investigation are commenced merely for the allegation of chest poking, even after two previous bowl appearances" Give Gill credit for guts to even consider the job. However, Gill may have another motive. Gill is in Buffalo. Most people will do anything to get out of that old declining city where the city is virtually snowed in with 40 inches from November through April with power working about 1/2 of the time. I imagine Gill yearns for the wide open and friendly mid-west, especially a great town like Lawrence. I'll take him.

Blake Post 10 years, 10 months ago

Gill is the twisted fish on "Finding Nemo". I do not want a fish. Fish are smelly. Everybody should go to the Texas A&M website and look at the roster, scroll down to Offensive Coordinator and click on it. Yep, it's Nolan Cromwell. Rollin' Nolan, the Ransom Rambler. Read how great A&M thinks he is. I don't know whether he is the best choice, but I love the dang good football (and track) he played at Kansas. He is my choice anyway. Even if it doesn't make you want to hire him, it sure is good to read about him anway. He is one of our all-time greats. He beat OU when they were good, with the help of other greats like LaVerne Smith (greased lightning) and Bill Campfield. I hope to find out that even though no experts (are they experts?) are talking about him, KU is talking to him. One can hope.
Loved the fact that Texas put a dagger in the heart of nebrasska a while ago. So close... Those just kill, don't they, bugeaters? Your offense stinks.

Blake Post 10 years, 10 months ago

okiedave makes a point. who will come?
Bet Nolan would.

Andy Tweedy 10 years, 10 months ago

Turner Gill would be a good hire! Buffalo plays with MAC caliber players and has won the league, so he's done enough in my eyes. And for all of you who love Harbaugh so much (I do like him too), he has a losing record as well at Stanford and I don't see them in the Rose Bowl. Gill was on the NU staff during three national championships and guided Eric Crouch to the Heisman as his QB coach. This would be a good hire, but I'm going to assume Lew will not hire the first guy he interviews. This will take at least a week and probably more.

Blake Post 10 years, 10 months ago

Sad fact. I think we moved the ball better than NU or UT... but....

MGJayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

This would be a horrible hire if KU decides to give him a shot. I think he has the potential but not right now. Venerables (sp) or Harbaugh would be home runs. Gill would be a bloop to the pitcher. Come on Lew! Make it happen.

MNHawk23 10 years, 10 months ago

ive seen so many baseball analogies on message boards tonight. i'll sayyyy.. gill would most likely be a solid pick to contend in the north.. he might end up being a homerun and he could possibly end up being a strike out. strike out=less likely. so i'll say turner gill is like a 3 hitter.. but idk what hes going to hit yet. ;)

okiedave 10 years, 10 months ago

Turner Gill must be a great recruiter. If he can attract high caliber players to go to a school in a Buffalo, a city that is only insignificantly better than Detroit, and a university that has been an athletic zero, and win the MAC, I think he may be a special hire.

DXJhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Keep in mind that Turner Gill received major consideration for the vacant Nebraska job 2 years ago. Granted, he is an NU guy which had a lot to do with it, but wouldn't have been interviewed and been one of the top 2 or 3 candidates if they didn't think he could get it done. I think the main reason they went with Pelini is that they thought he could shore up their defense a lot faster, which obviously they were correct. Don't be so quick to jump on Turner as a "horrible" hire just because you personally like someone else better.

3puttbogey 10 years, 10 months ago

Gill wants the NU job and with the way Pelini coaches offense it won't be long before that job is open again. So if Gill is successful (i.e. beats NU every year) the big money alumni at NU will steal him away. If he isn't successsful we've just wasted 4 or 5 years. Either way, we've wasted our time. Same problem with Gary Patterson and K-State. Once Grandpa in Manhatten retires (again) KSU may be able to entice Patterson go back to his alma mater. And I'm guessing Grandpa will retire within 3 years. If Notre Dame doesn't go after Skip Holtz maybe Lew can use his UConn connection to attract him. But he's being mentioned for almost EVERY opening out there so we'll have to be realistic about where we rate in the College Football world. We may have to look at coordinators at other schools. If we do that, start at T A&M and get the "Ransom Rambler" or, if you like defense, Kirby Smart at Alabama. This is why Lew gets the big bucks. He hasn't hired a head football or basketball coach at KU yet, so we'll see how he does.

Layne Pierce 10 years, 10 months ago

All ye of little faith. Lew is not just looking for a coach. He is looking for the best coach he can get. Mangino got us off life support, but he is no good at getting us out of the hospital. (How about some medical analogies, I'm tired of baseball.)

Let's say Gill is worthy of consideration, but certainly not a slam dunk.

jhokfan 10 years, 10 months ago

All the high profile names that have been bandied about and we're interviewing Turner Gill. This should bring some humility to our fans.

Brian Skelly 10 years, 10 months ago

LOL. Calm down folks. The hyperventilating in here is unreal.

Is Turner Gill a good choice? Yes.

Is he a lot of ours 'First' choice? Probably not.

Is Lew going to interview multiple people? Yes.

Are a lot of his other targets harder to connect with because they are playing in bowl games? Probably.

Was anyone who actually remembers thrilled when we hired some fat guy from Oklahoma to be our coach? Calm down.

Im with folks on the Jim Harbaugh thing, but I think thats pie in the sky. We'll throw some money at him, but I cant believe it would be enough to warrant leaving Stanford. Thats a horizontal move. Especially considering there's talk about him being on Notre Dames list as well.

I'd push hard for Harbaugh though. It's probably outta reach, but who cares. Go all in before the flop. If he says no and we end up with Sumelin or Gill or Peterson or Edsal or whomever we'll be fine.

This program is in infinitely better shape than it was before Mangino got here. To put it mildly Terry Allen was poor hire. If the next guy can recruit reasonably well (Texas especially of course) we'll be in good shape.

Dirk Medema 10 years, 10 months ago

canisiusmba - Nice, thoughtful post.

I don't necessarily think that Turner is the best hire, but he is definitely not as horrible as some knee-jerks are presenting. I'm guessing they are the same posters that were calling for Lew's head after the "witch hunt" began, then flooded the blog with Mangino must go comments after the article & pix from the DT.

My choice, dream would be for Charlie Strong to come from Florida and hire Nolan as his OC. I can dream.

Kyle Neuer 10 years, 10 months ago

Anyone that thinks Jim Harbaugh is going to leave Stanford/Palo Alto/the Pac-10 to coach at Kansas is deluding themselves.

mahkmood 10 years, 10 months ago

The ignorance is making me sick. Perkins has just hi-jacked the football program out of his own prideful ego and personal vendettas. If you don't believe grown men make decisions based on the pride of power you don't understand this world yet.

Nobody, absolutely nobody, on the "wish list" has a resume as good as Mangino's. For the posters talking about getting a coach for half the salary as Mangino - as if it were a good thing... you've obviously not taken a basic economics course. There is a reason things are cheap - either poor quality or high risk.

So now we're talking about getting a guy who was a quarterbacks coach at a school that rarely passes worth a piss (Nebraska) and had the same record as the "unacceptable" one that Mangino had this year... but not in a BCS conference... the MAC!

Here is my crystal ball prediction (and I hope I'm wrong): KU Football sucks for the next two years (4-8, 3-9) and when the mutiny begins to fully rage, Lew Perkins will have already retired to his dream mansion before the 2010 football season ever finished. (Perkins wants to leave his mark - skid marks). And then I will sit back and ponder how KU ended-up with Perkins in the first place... before Lew was... some guy named Al Bohl... who hired Mangino... but headlines from April 10, 2003 say:

"The University of Kansas fired athletic director Al Bohl on Wednesday, and he said basketball coach ROY WILLIAMS was behind it. I believe the Kansas basketball coach had the power to hold his athletics director in his hand like a dove," Bohl said. "And he had a choice to either crush me with his power of influence or let me fly with my vision for a better, total program. He chose to crush me."

Roy left his skid marks too. Personal vendetta, no less.

Waylon Cook 10 years, 10 months ago

LMAO please follow football and recruiting etc before you think Gil is the choice and Harbaugh isn't.

If Turner Gil was so great I promise old man Osborne would have brought the son back to the native land.

So great we have a Black Coaches Association huh? God forbid the people in charge want to hire who they want. Whether they be white, black, Asian, or Spanish.

Carter Patterson 10 years, 10 months ago

Gill seems to be a good, but not great coach. He won a conference championship with a 5-3 conference record 8-6 overall losing a bowl game. I'll give him KUDOS for building something out of nothing, but taking a team from 0 wins to 8-6 in a weak conference is not exactly what we are looking for at this point.

Its time to stop settling for "promising" coaches and start hiring people that are proven. For that reason, Harbaugh is the only appealing name I'm hearing.

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 10 months ago

Turner Gill is good to interview. is he good to hire? depends on the interview. and it depends on the other candidates.

would he be a good coach at Kansas? i think so yes. what can we reasonable get at Kansas.....a proven asst. coach at a big time school...and who's also been successful at building a program with little success...to success. Turner has both of those assets.

i mean, unless it's Harbaugh...and i think it would be stunning if we get him....there are no "proven" current coaches out there that we can get.

look at the basketball team. since Phog Allen (who started coaching when there was no "coaches"...so he was ground zero), the mens team has hired no "proven" coaches....except Larry Brown and Bill Self. Ted Owens was an asst., Dick Harp was an assistant, Roy Williams was an asst., and Bill Self was a decent coach for three years at Illinois...one regional final to his credit, and a couple of Big 10 titles. He WAS a head coach who was building his career......but plenty of questions. and that's mens basketball...and we're a blueblood program!

the overall above expectations of who we SHOULD hire are totally unreasonable. Candidates like Turner Gill are really the perfect kind...they're young, hungry and they have the training to do what you want them to do. consistently win football games, go to bowl games, and compete for the league title.

if he gets offered the job, i would have no problems with him as head coach.

Tom Gillaspie 10 years, 10 months ago

What is the difference between a good coach and a great coach? Is it taking good players and turning them into a great team through motivation. Is it being a great X's and O's statistician? Is it surrounding yourself with quality assistant coaches?
The answer is yes to all of these questions. The biggest difference between great programs and mediocre programs is --- recruiting. It doesn't matter how good the coach/coaches are without top tier recruits.
So, we can pontificate all the live-long day about who is the better coach; but the key is - who can convince more blue chippers to wear the crimson and blue. We need more four and five star rated recruits if we want to move to the next level. And this means more than just being able to recruit in Texas. I know a lot of great players come from Texas, but there are a lot of great players out there in other states as well.

Kirk 10 years, 10 months ago

Going from Mangino to Gill secures our future as a "basketball school".

Ron_Kellogg 10 years, 10 months ago

I'd like to see David Lawrence step out of the booth. He did a great job during his time at South Junior High.

Ben Kane 10 years, 10 months ago

hate to throw race out there but I would be proud to be one of the very few div 1a schools to have a black man as coach. they are too few and far between. It certainly reflects better on our university then having the fattest coach in football.

he had a rough 2009 but he is a good up and coming coach.

Once again, we all think we are experts, but I will just trust in Lew to do what he gets paid for. Lew is one of the best in the business and we are lucky to have him.

Eric Williams 10 years, 10 months ago

Wow I never realized Kansas fans were so indirectly racist.

Turner Gill is only a "token minority interview"

Even Auburn didn't want him...(look where Auburn is on the map, then ask that question again.

Buffalo was in a very similar position as Kansas (pre-Mangino). Remember he won the MAC last year beating undefeated Ball State. A 5-win season at Buffalo is not bad considering there are some decent teams in the MAC. Not great, decent.

Gill is young, energetic, has ties to fertile recruiting bases. Players want to play for him because he understands them.

Also, for all of you pointing to his record. He lost almost his entire base from last year's conference champion team. And he still finished 5-7.

Bill Kackley 10 years, 10 months ago

I remember about 13 years ago when we hired this brilliant young coach who was tearing them up at a lower class program. Let's see what was that guys name. Oh I know, it was Terry Allen. Turner Gil, for some reason, reminds me of that situation. Lew got rid of one the best coaches in America. It is on his head to come up with a very high quality guy. We were almost there with 2 top 35 recruiting classes under our belt and another one, some recruiting gurus say our best coming in, we were on our way to real success on the gridiron. Now, I afraid, we are on the down slope. Also, what is this crap on the season tickets. Giving 2000 points for buying within a 2 hour period; what a bunch of crap. How about a little loyality to long time season ticket holders, like anyone getting season tickets, who have had season tickets for the last 10 or more years getting those points. Time to start a search for a new AD and I used to be a fan of Lews.

pb88 10 years, 10 months ago

gill is not the right fit for ku. harbaugh is not coming. ku isn't a prestigious program. we can't choose who we want because there is a very appetizing michigan job and notre dame job open. charlie strong went to louisville so thats one more down. but we will have to fight for a mediocre coach. sumlin!

Scott Murphy 10 years, 10 months ago

A friend of mine told me that a source very deep inside the athletic department told him that Turner Gill is going to be hired and that it has been a done deal for a week now! If this is in fact true I hope he brings Nolan Cromwell in as the OC and definitely needs to get a big time DC.

KU 10 years, 10 months ago

Until the Notre Dame job is filled, top coaches would be reluctant to consider KU. For example, what if Stoops goes to ND? Then the domino effect could really hurt us. The entire playing field will be shaken up by what Notre Dame does. We need to wait for their announcement if we want to consider some of the top coaches on the board.

Gill doesn't have the "wow" factor I'm looking for. He's a great man, but he was in the tiny, inbred bubble that was "Nebraska coaching philosophy" for over 20 years.

Mike Tackett 10 years, 10 months ago

What anyone thinks of Gill is not important, but Lew you just fired a guy for going 5-7 in a lot stronger conference. I very much hope to see Lew's head in the trash can if he screws up this hire. He was the one to state"the Kansas job is very desirable", so he should have the pick of the litter. Turner Gill will make Terry Allen look like Vince Lombardi. You wanted MM out so bad, it's your baby now. Look for KU to do the PC thing and hire Gill.

justinryman 10 years, 10 months ago

Why is everyone so high on Edsall? He has a .500 record as a head coach thats not so hot. He's nota great recruiter outside to coal mine belt, at least Gill can recruit Texas. Not saying I want Gill, but Edsall is not the guy either.

The cuboard has some stock in it and the schedule is right for the next two years for the new coach to get thigns rolling in his favor, he better do the right thing and do it fast. Or the hill will be hard to climb.

KU 10 years, 10 months ago

justinryman.....I'm with you on questioning Edsall. But at least he has a track record, unlike Harbaugh. Mangino is proof that any program can catch lightning in a bottle for a couple of years and then return to mediocrity. So why the hype about Harbaugh? This is his first decent year at Stanford.

My first pick would be Brian Kelly, even though his team looked horrible yesterday beating Pitt in a shootout.

Paul Brozik 10 years, 10 months ago

I think it is important to keep in mind it is probably been tought for Gill to recruit the last couple years because his name always comes up for coaching vacancies and its just a matter of time before he gets an offer. Guaranteed coaches have been using that against him in recruiting. Not saying he is the right fit for KU but Buffalo was garbage before he showed up and he deserves huge amount of credit for winning a conference title there.

ku_foaf 10 years, 10 months ago

Turner Gill is not that young. He is 47 years old.

I think Sumlin will get the job. It is a move up for him, better salary, better conference. He has valuable recruiting ties in Texas.

justinryman 10 years, 10 months ago

I guess Sumlin is a hot name this year, kinda like Tickle me Elmo was about 10 years ago at Christmas. One year does not make a career. Gill has done more throughout his whole career than that. This isnt about "what have you done for me latley?" but what can you do for me down the road?

Lets just let the process work its self out through today and tomorrow and go from there. It's funny how a few of us were wanting Charlie Strong from Fla until yesterday's and how bad his D looked. lol

TwistedFish31 10 years, 10 months ago

rockchalk81, your post is almost too stupid to comment on but, what the heck? So Gill took a bad MAC team and turned them into a middle-of-the-road MAC team. So what? He did that against teams in the MAC conference. Can you name one signiture win this guy has had? I'll help you out...it was against Ball State in 2008. Winning that game made them the MAC Champs. Winning against teams like Ohio and Akron and Temple are fine, but that's not the Big XII. And yeah, he took them to the International Bowl...and got hammered by UConn.

I think most of the people on this board are correct. This guy isn't a real candidate.

justinryman 10 years, 10 months ago

Twisted, can you please give us your candidate? I mean to be fair so we can rip it a part....Its not a fair argument for you to rip everyones choice if you don't throw yourself out there a little bit.

Brett Glover 10 years, 10 months ago

Hey look at the bright side...... no one could say anything rude about our head coach!!! hehe

Steve Brown 10 years, 10 months ago

canisius: thanks for sharing, if it's Gill I'm good with it thanks to your post.

time will tell which of our interviews are doing it to explore and get raises back home and which of our interviews would accept if offered.

it will be good to get out of the Big12 cellar and have more than just one year in eight that we have a winning league record.

can you say: UPGRADE.

Seth Peattie 10 years, 10 months ago

I have heard 4 different radio reports today that Coach D will be our next head coach!!!!!!!!!

justinryman 10 years, 10 months ago

WOW!!!! It's been almost a hour and no new rumor as to the head coach is going to be...we are totally slacking on our duties people.

jhokfan 10 years, 10 months ago

Gill would not be my first choice (or 2nd or 3rd...) and I don't think it will mean the return of the Allen/Valascente days. My concern is his Nebraska connection. If he succeeds and Pelini turns out to be another Frank Solich we can kiss him goodbye. I also have a problem with anything related to Nebraska football. There's a fine line between football and the criminal justice system in Lincoln.

justinryman 10 years, 10 months ago

After all the accusations against ex head coach Mangino about anger isues maybe Nebraska shouls open an investigation into the Pelini brothers and their post game tirades against the comisioner of the Big 12, the head of officials the the Texas coaching staff. "omaha.com" has a few stories on it.

Gill is much much much more mild manored and level headed.

Has anyone heard if he actually interviewed?

Blake Post 10 years, 10 months ago

only1UinKansas - good name (chuckle) good point, trojanhawk, but you have to go with an aggressive or positive choice, which would pay our man some millions while he is here. Can't be concerned with the negative possibilities, which would indeed be horrible if KU ever had to fire a Cromwell at some point in the future, but KU did it to Fambrough twice, and there was some controversy with Hadl at some point. Jayhawks still have the love for them. Everything has a possible pitfall, but I would pick Nolan over fishGill. Can't live in the fear factor. I wonder who would be better for recruiting. Nolan has been in LA, Green Bay, Seattle, Texas.
nebrasska losing and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory is sweet.

Blake Post 10 years, 10 months ago

jhokfan is so right. And Pelini from nebr(ass)ka displayed how much of an idiot hayseed he is. He always chews gum the whole game, with his mouth open all of the time. His mother did not teach him any manners. And amazingly, on tv in a post-game interview, he continued his camel-like cud chewing, mouth open, right up front for the whole nation to see. What a slob. Their offense stunk. In fact, it seems to me our offense did better than either of these last night. It will be with glee that I watch our bball team each time this year. And each time we trash big 12 opponents... well, fill in the blank. I'll be celebrating, for sure.
Killer Kansas.

justinryman 10 years, 10 months ago

Stoops, Mangini,Pelini all from Ohio all knew each other grwoing up and yet Bob is the only level headed one everyone else seems to have anger issues. Maybe Bob beat on them when they were younger????

justinryman 10 years, 10 months ago

rcj81, I just told a friend of mine thats the only reason Bo leaves NU today too, glad to know Im not the only one who thinks that way. Maybe once Gill gets here he won't go up to Lincoln to coach against us????

justinryman 10 years, 10 months ago

Oh I know Mangino did the same thing and it was against Texas too, go figure?

Last years KU/NU game in Lincoln Pelini was almost mid field yelling at the Refs and they didn't throw a flag at him it was almost a joke that they didn't.

justinryman 10 years, 10 months ago

Just heared on WKRP that KU has not announced a new coach.

Sorry, just had to do it. But for the love of gawd I thought turkeys could fly!!!!!!!

KURocksChalk 10 years, 10 months ago

How's this for a conspiracy theory. NU gets embarrassed for all time by KU in 2007. They start gunning for Mangino. They use the daughter of a former player ( and others) to be "on the ground" in Lawrence. Interim Nebraska AD insinuates to current KU AD that he might be a good fit in Lincoln and that he is not going to be at this very long. Ground troops learn that there are some weaknesses in the Mangino armor, that he has made some "homie" comments that could be taken as racist. Just happens that former NU player is a minority. KU hires former Husker who takes KU straight to the cellar. Former NU player becomes KU's loosingest coach. He moves on to the NFL while KU AD becomes Nebraska AD.

I know this sounds ridiculous but there have been way too many Husker fans on this site. I smell a rat.

Let me ask question Jayhawk fans, if as AD it is all about the money, what do you think it is all about for Lew? All about the money?

Will Hamilton 10 years, 10 months ago

The ones who really know what is going on are not talking...the ones who are talking, don't really know what is going on!

KURocksChalk 10 years, 10 months ago

Chris Peterson beat OU on a big stage. He beat Oregon again this year. He wins! Good golly, look at his W-L record and who his teams have played. They are getting no love and I do not get that at all. He should be our number one guy, absolutely.

His teams are fundamentally sound, talented athletes, and tremendous game-prep. His teams have offense AND defense.

This is the time. We cannot afford to pass on this one. Hire him!

We can attract him. He will do wonders. KU WILL go to the next level under his direction.

KURocksChalk 10 years, 10 months ago

Last thought. (Thank God, they say.) KU and the next level. We have to be honest with ourselves and see the "next level" for what it is. If we win just 8 games every year (and that is just an average..could be worse) folks, we are at the next level. KU is what...500 for all time. Going to .660 winning two of three games IS the next level. Thinking like that will help us make better decisions. Taking a risk right now in a hire is a bad idea. Getting a proven coach with a long track record is the smartest and best thing to do. Getting a builder, a cerebral coach, not a rah-rah guy, (great recruiter...he'll have great relationships with his players, coaches, and the community)...bad idea. He schmooz, you lose. Again, Chris Peterson, Boise State.

TexasHusker 10 years, 10 months ago

Hellloooo! This is Kansas, you know, the land of Oz. The way some of you talk, you would think you were Texas or Oklahoma. Tommy Tuberville? Jim Harbaugh? What are you guys smoking? Gill is a great coach and took over an almost nothing program --try recruiting to Buffalo. At the time Nebraska was looking, our defense was in the tank -- we needed a good defensive mind and hired Bo Pelini. You guys would be lucky to get Gill, I am not so sure what he would get in return. The EEOC comments are insulting.

WilburNether 10 years, 10 months ago

Boy, the Journal-World is really on top of things, aren't they? Lawrence is their turf -- and all they can do is reprint KU football developments that CBS reports?

Jim Jackson 10 years, 10 months ago

Having a younger energetic coach who can really recruit is what we need. I"m not saying a guy like Tuberville wouldn't be good for us, but having a younger coach who connects with his players would be very beneficial to this program. I'm sure there are a lot of talented young black kids that would love to play for Gill, and I'm sure their parents would like it too. Mangino recruited some decent players, but seldom was able to land NFL type talent, especially on defense (besides Aqib). I just hope Gill knows defense because the coach at Houston sure doesn't. I doubt Harbaugh would come here, that's more of a lateral move. We're not a top tier program, yet.

oregonjhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

ginger2015 10 years, 10 months ago

" Look for KU to do the PC thing and hire Gill"

So hoosier, do you mean that if KU hires Gill it will be "the pc thing" or if any school hires Gill it will be "the pc thing"? I guess that you feel anytime a black man is hired over a white man it must be because of political correctness.

ginger2015 10 years, 10 months ago

But being aware of the history of the state of Indiana I'm not surprised.

ginger2015 10 years, 10 months ago

Remember that no matter who Perkins brings in, unless they come up with a couple of lights out recruiting classes they're going to be playing with Manginos boys primarily for the next couple of years. So I wouldn't be looking for any miraculous turnabouts right away, especially on defense.

Bill Kackley 10 years, 10 months ago

As I said earlier hiring Gil is reminds me of hiring Allen. My choices are Peterson then Harbaugh. Both young and both winners.

justinryman 10 years, 10 months ago

Actually, and I mean truthfully on this one, that Lew was flying out to New York with Ressing for an award show and will interview Turner Gill while out there. Thats what I heard anyhow.

MitchumMan 10 years, 10 months ago

There are supposed to be a lot of potential coaches out in New York during that trip. So I'm pretty sure it'll be more than just Gill getting interviewed in NYC. I don't know much about Gill, but looking at last years record for him, I'd like to look elsewhere.

Bill Anthony 10 years, 10 months ago

Chris Petersen would be a great hire for KU but he has little desire to leave Boise State. He would gain little--yes, he would make more money, but he is a family first type and has said his life in Boise is ideal while the kids are in school. And it's not like he's starving there. He would have a lot to loose by going to Kansas. Look what's happening to Dan Hawkins, has happened to Houston Nutt and Dirk Koetter. All had success at Boise State. I think Chris Petersen learned from their examples and will become the football version of Mark Few. He'll stay put, win a lot of games, build a great program, maybe get Boise State into the Mountain West where he could possibly have a shot at the national title and be happy and much beloved.

As to who would be good at KU AND willing to come? I'll stay posted because I don't know.

justinryman 10 years, 10 months ago

As many people that say they do not or are not interested in the ND job, it's refreshing that a coach is actually interviewing with Kansas. Maybe as fans we should be greatful that someone has actually has opened up to the fact they will interview with KU and not hide the fact. Maybe just maybe we can get more candidates now???

prairie_rattler 10 years, 10 months ago

Gill's the man! A coach we could all be proud of... a great pick up if he'll come. Let's get it over and watch him haul in the recruits! Can't wait until next August!

rolo2383 10 years, 10 months ago

My choices in order.

Harbaugh Holtz Tuberville Gill

Gill would be a solid hire and I think he would surprise a lot of people.

Ben Kane 10 years, 10 months ago

1) some of you are such haters.

2) I have no problem with Gill

3) LJW how about a comment reset. Got comments here from two days ago.

Rivethead 10 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, cause he certainly pulled in a pack of 4 stars in Buffalo........

jhokfan 10 years, 10 months ago

Add Houston Nutt to the list. Apparently he's interested in KU.

kureader 10 years, 10 months ago

So, Lew replaces one 5-7 coach with another 5-7 coach? I doubt it.

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 10 months ago

can we let the process play out? this is the FIRST INTERVIEW!

and please, reset this story. all these yahoo posts were from Friday, for cryin out loud. all you did was retype and repost! unbelievable 72 plus hours later.

babyjay1 10 years, 10 months ago

Just heard the same about Houston Nutt!!

Chris Weaver 10 years, 10 months ago

the harbaugh deal is a head-scratcher to me - i can't see how he would make that move. i think he'd be a great face of the program - but i can't see coming to Kansas from Stanford. http://www.footballcoachscoop.com/Scoop.html has reported that he has spoken with ADLP - does anyone know if that is true? is there something that i'm overlooking in either harbaugh's past or in KU's potential?

Kevin Kelly 10 years, 10 months ago

I don't think KU is in the same position as NU. If anything...you look at our coaches and realize this is EXACTLY the kind of hire we go after. It worked out extreemely well last time too.

I stand by my comment. Turner Gill will win confrence championships with whatever team he gets on with. Sign me up.

Kevin Long 10 years, 10 months ago

Yep babyjay1. I heard it too. He has met with Lew and is interested in the job! That would be a great hire!! Glad Lew is aiming high and not settling for second best.

KU 10 years, 10 months ago

It's gonna take someone exceptional to keep KU's football program from being sucked back into mediocrity. The facilities are in place. The money is there for salaries. Let's just hope we can get the right man for the job. I hope Lew is conscious of the trap of trying to hire somebody that overcompensates for the weaknesses of the previous coach. I've heard people say "we need a 'fit' coach"; "we need a 'handsome' coach"; "we need a 'players coach'".........All in the name of being something Mangino was NOT. How about we get an EFFECTIVE coach? The last time we hired somebody in reaction to the previous coach, we got Terry Allen.

And for those who keep saying they don't want a coach who treats KU as a stepping stone--I'd take that in a heartbeat because it means the coach did pretty darn well while at KU to attract the attention of a bigger name program. If your coach isn't getting attention from other programs, it's either because he runs a bad program or he's Mark Mangino. Who wouldn't want Notre Dame or Oklahoma or Florida to covet your coach?!

Phoggin_Loud 10 years, 10 months ago

NEJhawk,

You said: NU didn't try him because they don't see their school as a place where you give a guy his first shot. They did that with solich and got burned....so they aren't going to do that with Gill.

Thanks for proving our point. Why should KU give him his first shot???? Especially if his own school wouldn't!! (Buffalo is not a "first shot") KU needs to hire a proven winner!!!

KUBlue0809 10 years, 10 months ago

HOUSTON NUTT !!!!!!!!!! HOME RUN LEW! GET HIM!

KU 10 years, 10 months ago

Nutt makes $2.5 million at Ole Miss. I guess he might be willing to take a cut in pay to play in the Big 12 North instead of the SEC West--what a brutal division with Bama and LSU!

KUBlue0809 10 years, 10 months ago

Who says its a cut in pay? For Lew's vision of the Grid-Iron club and a 10-win KU football program, he needs a big hire, big splash, which will make big bucks. Maybe Nutt gets $2.5 at KU, maybe $3 ? Can't wait to see what develops!

Jim Sanders 10 years, 10 months ago

Instead of the Bear walking the sidelines, we could have the Blue Gill.

Lew, there is better fish in the sea. Keep looking.

gchawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Gill reminds me of Herm Edwards, an affable enough person, but not really head coaching material. Keep on with the search.

Seth Peattie 10 years, 10 months ago

keep hearing rumors about Coach D coming here. that would be CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!

Jaminrawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Even Turner Gill looks shocked that KU is interviewing him (see picture).

Hawkrock11 10 years, 10 months ago

Gill would be a good fit here. He's having a down year yes but does anyone here realize what he's done at Buffalo? It was one of the worst jobs in Division 1 football and he won the MAC in his 3rd year. Yeah he's having a bad year but at Buffalo that happens but they had never had a good year until he got there. I also do think his college playing career is relevant. He was one of the smartest option qb's I've ever seen and he knows more about blocking scemes than maybe anyone we could get. If we don't hire him someone eventually will and he'll do very well.

Hawkrock11 10 years, 10 months ago

By the way here is Buffalo's record for the last 10 years which is how long they've been D-I.

1999 Craig Cirbus 0-11 2000 Craig Cirbus 2-9 2001 Jim Hofher 3-8 2002 Jim Hofher 1-11 2003 Jim Hofher 1-11 2004 Jim Hofher 2-9 2005 Jim Hofher 1-10 2006 Turner Gill 2-10 2007 Turner Gill 5-7 2008 Turner Gill 8-6

Hawk1969 10 years, 10 months ago

The romor mill has just thrown Huston Nutt's name in the mix...anyone else heard the same?

JHawkins 10 years, 10 months ago

LJW: Come on, I gotta hear more about this. Is Houston Nutt really considering Kansas? That would be unbelievable!

B60 10 years, 10 months ago

ESPN says that Virginia hired Mike London from Richmond as its coach. Does this mean that Skip Holtz is in the mix? I thought that he was expected to go to Virginia.

yed 10 years, 10 months ago

Holy crap, guys, it's just an interview. I'm sure that The Lew has a nice list of possible candidates.

Be patient. We'll get a good hire...while I'm not a fan of Perkins, I respect his work.

jhokfan 10 years, 10 months ago

According to the Star there is mutual interest between Perkins and Nutt. I'm not sure if this is a homerun but I think he could deliver 7, 8, 9 wins a season on a regular basis and that would be the next step for this program.

Hawk1969 10 years, 10 months ago

yed,

I'm sure we realize it is just an interview. Gill is the only coach on Lew's list that isn't preparing for a bowl game.

When we hear Nutt may be interested in the KU job it generates interest and a lot of it.

mahkmood 10 years, 10 months ago

My vote is Skip Holtz. Nothing personal about it, I think Gill is not the right guy. I still think Mangino's coaching ability (notice I didn't say recruiting ability) is superior to any realistic candidate. Mangino was taught by Bill Snyder and learned things from the Stoops bros, Mike Leach, Jim Leavitt, and others. Look at all the successful Snyder disciples (Phil Bennett - SMU, Bret Bielema -Wisconsin, Jim Leavitt - South Florida, Mark Mangino - Kansas, Dana Dimel - Wyoming, Bob Stoops - Oklahoma, and Mike Stoops -Arizona). Prior to Mangino's hiring at KU people would have thought you were on crack if you told them they would go 12-1 and win the Orange Bowl.

I just hate how quickly so many KU "fans" jumped on the bandwagon to oust Mangino. And there was very little appreciation shown by the local media for his accomplishments either... I think the local media is afraid of Perkins (see LJW 11/16/2008 end of my post). No appreciation for a man that spent hours upon hours of work to make KU a respectable program, which he DID. After 7 years of building and remarkable improvement, the guy has one very disappointing season - mostly due to turnovers by the players and injuries (not something he could control) and I see all these messages about how happy people are to possibly get an unproven coach. It's wishful dreaming. I hope those wishes come true, but most likely they will not.

Perkins needs to go much more so than Mangino ever did. No one will say it because they fear the Perkins mafia (and they probably should fear him - he will take you out if he doesn't like you - it's not just business... it's personal).

From LJW article 11/16/2008 ( http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/nov/16/meet_joe_college ):

"All this is is a personal vendetta by Lew Perkins," said Sinks, who said the athletic director sent a staff member to the store to complain during the first two weeks it was open. "Let's call it what it is. He doesn't like me. He doesn't like my T-shirts, and he's made it a personal vendetta to try to take me down."

But these days, Sinks says he's simply speaking an inconvenient Lawrence truth.

"I'm not a fan of Lew Perkins and that administration," Sinks said. "I'm not ashamed to say it. What they have done to me and my family is wrong. I'm not a fan. I'm not the only one in this town who feels that way, but a lot of people are just scared to say it."

troutsee 10 years, 10 months ago

Mahkmood...sounds like it is personal with you too. I for one totally disagree with you. Lew has made all the right moves. I think the majority of the Jayhawk nation realizes that his business-like approach to sports is realistic and is getting the job done. He has benefitted all KU sports, especially football. An AD is not going to make everyone happy. Especially bent out of joint are KU alums who had midcourt seats with out ever donating much money to KU sports. Lew has changed that and some of the "entitled" of yesteryear are upset and continue to try to undermine him and KU sports.

Sinks tee-shirts are classless. Speaks volumes for the owner.

Also, Phil Bennet was not successful, nor was Dimel and Mike Stoops hasn't exactly set the world on fire, although they are going to a bowl game this year.

As far as the media being afraid of him, how ridiculous! Are you serious?

You have been on the anti-Lew soap box ever since this all came up. Some agree with you and some don't. Lew will be at KU until he retires.

Hawkrock11 10 years, 10 months ago

I don't know mankmood, I'd hate to lose one of the best AD's in the country over a coach that by all accounts seemed to deserve getting fired. Maybe not in the fashion that he was fired but it needed to be done. The program is in far better shape than it was before Mangino took over and he definitely gets credit for that. This is a different job than it was then, for two and a half million dollars, brand new facilities and an administration that is aggressivley marketing the program you should expect more than one great season, a couple pretty good seasons and five bad seasons most recently this year and allegations of verbal and physical abuse. You can blame all those allegations on Lew if you want but he wasn't making all those players come forward. How many really good coaches have you ever heard that had that many kids with that negative of things to say about them in public. I can't think of one. Where there's smoke there's fire. I'm not discounting how good the season the Orange Bowl was but you can't keep your job forever on that one season.

Lew's done a great job and I would expect he'll make a great hire here. Before Lew we would have never dreamed of being able to put a package together that would interest some of the best coaches in the country. I have no doubt he'll make a good hire.

babyjay1 10 years, 10 months ago

The Houston Nutt interest is all over the internet. KCStar has an article about it...Reportedly, Lew and Nutt have already had a conversation.... If you believe random reports!

troutsee 10 years, 10 months ago

You are right on Hawkrock 11.

Houston Nutt would be quite a hire. Hard to believe he would consider leaving Miss after just two years. Must be the money, I guess.

ginger2015 10 years, 10 months ago

"Before Lew we would have never dreamed of being able to put a package together that would interest some of the best coaches in the country"

Who do we know for a fact besides Turner Gill has said that they are interested. Isn't this Nutt thing only a rumor? Perhaps you have read a direct quote from the coach somewhere, but I haven't.

Aaron Carpenter 10 years, 10 months ago

I only read about half of these posts due to the fact that there were a million so I apologize if I am repeating what someone has said. Could there not be a big advantage to having a black head football coach. Is there a chance that he would be able to sit down with a family in Texas and steal away a kid that might have gone there? Racial ties are very strong and that might be a possibility we would be foolish to pass up. Either way, he is a good coach, some may not consider great but at the least very good. Why not, let's take a chance, he cannot be any worse than Terry Allen.

Draconian 10 years, 10 months ago

Born and raised in Omaha - and I have appreciated the recent success of the KU program - hell, you used to be pretty much a bye week - now - not so much (at all) - I am sincere - I want KU to be a good program. Turner Gill is a great coach - it will be hard seeing him there at KU - but - he knows what he is doing. I see a lot of people that are expecting to hire "big name" coaches - and, I am serious when I say this and I really mean no offense, you aren't there yet - and yes, you are moving toward it. At THIS point - Turner Gill is about what you can expect as far as "profile" - but...who was Mangino? Seriously - none of my thoughts are meant to be offensive at all - as a true Nebraska fan, and Big 12 fan, I wish KU success. Good luck in facing our defense - if we ever get an offense...we'll think about winning the Big 12 and maybe a NC.

kureader 10 years, 10 months ago

Draconia, I read your post. It's always nice to hear from an NU fan on the Lawrence, Kansas blog. As a KU fan, I want to return the favor and send you a mirror image of the post you sent to Kansas. Born and raised in Kansas, I have appreciated the recent comeback of the NU football program - hell, for the last 5 years, you've been pretty much a joke ... KU racked up 79 points against you just two years ago. We've played some pretty crappy teams in the last few years, but we've never scored 79 points before. And, ignoring the 79 point game, KU had still outscored NU during the other 4 seasons. I know alot of Nebraska people are expecting to win a National Championship again - and, I am serious when I say this and I really mean no offfense, you aren't there yet - and yes, you are moving toward it. At THIS point, since you're still not able to beat Iowa State AT HOME, going 8 and 4 is about what you can expect as far as having a winning program again, but hey, that's an improvement, right? Hang in there. You're gettin' better. Seriously, none of my thoughts are meant to be offensive at all - as a true Kansas fan, and Big 12 fan, I wish NU success. But regarding your expert advice about who Kansas should pick as its next football coach, I can't help but think about your recent track record for hiring your own football coaches at NU. Does the name "Callahan" ring a bell? You're giving US advice? Anyway, we appreciate the thought, but would you mind if we ignored you? And, by the way, I wish you continued success with Nebraska's best sport, Women's Volleyball ... seriously.

jhokfan 10 years, 10 months ago

acsgreens:

I would like to think that race would not be a factor but that would be naive. A year ago I heard Jemele Hill argue on ESPN First Take that the reason Gill did not get the job at Auburn was because his wife is white and that would not sit well with black families in the south. I can not argue with your speculation that a black coach could help. He is also youthful and athletic looking and that probably would help as well. Gill is not my first choice but I won’t be upset if he gets the job. Personally, I think the lack of black coaches at the D1 level is a disgrace but at the end of the day, whoever we get has to be able to recruit and coach.

Ed Fox 10 years, 10 months ago

Seriously? You people aren't happy with Turner Gill, but you're jumping all over about Houston Nutt? What is wrong with you people? What has Nutt ever accomplished to make him a "homerun"? He can maybe get you 7-8 wins a year, but is that enough now? He's shown what he can do with resources already and he's not competing for national championships, why would KU be better? Turner hasn't had those chances and has shown his potential at the black hole called Buffalo. He's young, charismatic, and a genuinely good person. He can also recruit like crazy and is connected from his days recruiting at Nebraska (including bringing in the likes of Tommy Frazier - not a bad college player). Houston Nutt is as exciting as watching paint dry, Turner offers nothing but promise. I assure you - someday the schools that passed on Turner will regret it, I just hope that's not KU.

Oh yeah, don't forget Nebraska tried to hire Nutt before Callahan - anyone that was good enough for Steve Pederson back then isn't good enough for KU

txhawk06 10 years, 10 months ago

Coincidentally, Jordan Gill is a KU Parking Attendant. Who happened to have several unpleasant encounters with the previous KU coach in her first couple weeks on campus in June 2007. :)

GoBigRed1 10 years, 10 months ago

OMG, the paranoia on this site is just to f'ing funny. Ya'll are the only ones who remember the game. We could personally give three rat's arses who coaches your pathetic little program. Ya'll don't deserve Gill and you DO deserve to continue your birthright as cellar dwellers. KU football always was and always will suck because you only truly care about basketball. Chriminy what a bunch of losers. "Oh dear God, not Gill", "Please Not Gill" Pathetic, truly pathetic.

L O S E R S

jhokfan 10 years, 10 months ago

catfiche 10 years, 10 months ago

Gill? I thought he was on tour in North Carolina.

Ohhhh. You meant Turner Gill.

So, do you really think Lou Holtz would leave ESPN?

jhokfan 10 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for the enlightenment 81. Given your obvious expertise perhaps you should get your own column. Couldn’t help notice your comments seem to have a husker slant to them. I’m sure it’s just a coincidence.

Can’t believe my post was revoked. I’ve said far worse things about his mom.

catfiche 10 years, 10 months ago

RCJH81, it was a joke. You know: Turner Gill - Vince Gill. Skip Holtz - Lou Holtz. I thought it was pretty funny.

When did KU get that close to being Big 12 Champs? 2007, the year they beat Nebraska 76-39. (not a joke, but I'm still laughing)

jhokfan 10 years, 10 months ago

Really 81, for someone claiming intellectual superiority your inability to catch what was an obvious joke makes you look, well…. kinda dumb.

jayhusker1996 10 years, 10 months ago

I hope Kansas gets a great Coach whether it be Gill or not. It will only help the B12 North in the long run. I think whoever they get they will stay competitive.

On another not....Enough of the "76-39" already. Do you want me to really list all the times the huskers beat Kansas by 40+. Don't bring out history of the 2 schools in football because there is no comparison. Kind of like you guys have way more history in basketball then we ever hope to have.

jhokfan 10 years, 10 months ago

It doesn't include anyone from Lincoln. The criminal lineage of that program is something I'd rather not import to Lawrence. If however we do sign Gill I won’t be losing any sleep.

jhokfan 10 years, 10 months ago

You're actually comparing Briscoe, Morningstar and Giddens to Phillips and Collins? That's rich. All the trash that ever passed through Lawrence combined would not equal either of these two pieces of human debris.

BTW, Morningstar and Giddens are basketball players. I thought we were talking football.

jhokfan 10 years, 10 months ago

Don't be surprised if LJW removes your comment for the use of "banging".

UBBulls 10 years, 10 months ago

Personally I hope that all of you nay sayers are correct and KU does not hire Coach Gill. I hope Coach Gill stays right where he is for many years to come. In four years he has take a program that had two winning seasons between 1986 and his hiring and won a MAC Championship and twice as many games in four years as they had won in the prior six or seven years.

How many people can make a person happy to go to Detroit for a weekend? Coach Gill did that for me when I went to the 2008 MAC Championship game in Detroit.

Please do not make him an offer so that we can keep him in Buffalo for years to come.