Originally published December 4, 2009 at 12:47p.m., updated December 4, 2009 at 05:54p.m.

KU declines to release details of Mangino’s settlement agreement for now, says deal is not finalized

Kansas University athletic director Lew Perkins talks with media members outside the Anderson Family Football Complex on Thursday as he answers questions regarding the resignation of head coach Mark Mangino.

KU declines to release details of Mangino's settlement agreement for now, says deal is not finalized

The Lawrence Journal-World, 6News and LJWorld.com have filed a Kansas Open Records Act request with Kansas Athletics Inc. to obtain a settlement agreement with football coach Mark Mangino.

Reader poll

• Yes 40% 534 votes
  • No 56% 733 votes
  • Not sure. 3% 40 votes

1307 total votes.

Civil remedies to enforce Kansas Open Records Act

45-222

Chapter 45.--PUBLIC RECORDS, DOCUMENTS AND INFORMATION

Article 2.--RECORDS OPEN TO PUBLIC

45-222. Civil remedies to enforce act; attorney fees. (a) The district court of any county in which public records are located shall have jurisdiction to enforce the purposes of this act with respect to such records, by injunction, mandamus or other appropriate order, in an action brought by any person, the attorney general or a county or district attorney.

(b) In any action hereunder, the court shall determine the matter de novo. The court on its own motion, or on motion of either party, may view the records in controversy in camera before reaching a decision.

(c) In any action hereunder, the court shall award costs and a reasonable sum as an attorney's fee for services rendered in such action, including proceedings on appeal, to be recovered and collected as part of the costs to the plaintiff if the court finds that the agency's denial of access to the public record was not in good faith and without a reasonable basis in fact or law. The award shall be assessed against the public agency that the court determines to be responsible for the violation.

(d) In any action hereunder in which the defendant is the prevailing party, the court shall award to the defendant costs and a reasonable sum as an attorney's fee for services rendered in such action, including proceedings on appeal, to be recovered and collected as part of the costs if the court finds that the plaintiff maintained the action not in good faith and without a reasonable basis in fact or law.

(e) Except as otherwise provided by law, proceedings arising under this section shall be assigned for hearing and trial at the earliest practicable date.

(f) The provisions of subsections (c) and (d) concerning the awarding of costs and attorney fees for services rendered during an appeal shall apply only to actions which are based on causes of action accruing on or after July 1, 2004.

History: L. 1984, ch. 187, § 8; L. 1984, ch. 282, § 6; L. 1990, ch. 190, § 1; L. 2000, ch. 156, § 4; L. 2004, ch. 151, § 2; July 1.

The Lawrence Journal-World, 6News and KUsports.com have filed a Kansas Open Records Act request with Kansas Athletics Inc. to obtain details of the settlement agreement reached with football coach Mark Mangino.

He said the settlement agreement had not yet been finalized, and suggested the request be filed again in 10 to 14 days.

“We don’t really know what those laws are right now pertaining to this document until it’s finalized,” he said.

Doug Anstaett, executive director of the Kansas Press Association, said in an e-mail that Kansas state law since 2005 has been that any contracts or agreements that include compensation, whether they include public or private money, are a public record if the money is received because of the person’s public position. Along with the KPA, the Journal-World was one of the media organizations that filed the lawsuit that led to the law.

“What’s especially troubling about this latest attempt at stonewalling is that the university and its athletic corporation lost a lawsuit in 2004 when it refused to divulge (athletics director Lew) Perkins’ own compensation package, even though much of it came from private sources,” Anstaett said. “After that successful lawsuit, the Kansas Legislature passed a change to the Kansas Open Records Act that was affectionately labeled the ‘Lew Perkins Provision,’ and it opened up any and all agreements that affect compensation, even supplemental settlement agreements.”

He said it was “ludicrous” to try to hide this information from the public and that the parts of any separation agreement that refer to how Mangino will be paid are open records and should be immediately released.

The request filed Friday also requests that the athletics corporation release the results of an investigation into Mangino’s conduct as coach.

The athletics corporation denied access to those records, claiming they were directly related to job performance, and exempt from disclosure under the open records law.

Comments

arvadajayhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

Should your poll question read:

"Do you think the details of Mark Mangino's settlement with KU should remain confidential?"

It's quite a different question from whether they will remain confidential or not.

Jonathan Kealing 10 years, 4 months ago

Arvada--

You're right. Left out the word should. Thanks for catching that.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

Hawk1969 10 years, 4 months ago

Let's all just move on. I understand that it is a journalistic impulse to get all the facts, but why not focus on Mangino's successor and the future of KU football?

The man and the university have been through enough. Progress is never made looking back. That's why we have eyes in the front as opposed to the back.

10 years, 4 months ago

How could the attorneys working on the settlement agreement for both parties not know about this provision? Either several people dropped the ball, or KU's attorneys knew about it and said nothing so it could be someone else (LJW et al) spilling the beans about Mangino's settlement and conduct.

swjhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

I emphatically agree with 1969 Hawk's comment. Let's all be gentlemen & ladies and move on.

Ryan Wood 10 years, 4 months ago

I'm sure the LJW can do stories on both Mangino's severance package and the future of KU football. They have more than one reporter.

A public school can't be holding back information like this. Period.

Mangino_Maniac 10 years, 4 months ago

Time to reveal the big picture and the details... with Mangino now gone, it's the university that continues look bad with the way it handled things up until now. Share the details so the questions don't persist. Get it out and be done.

Ridiculous.

Maracas 10 years, 4 months ago

I don't really care about the details of the settlement agreement. I imagine it will basically come down to Mangino got X amount of dollars and both sides agreed to shut up about it.

jhawkroger 10 years, 4 months ago

Mangino is gone, some are happy some are not but at this point I can see no earthly good of continuing the discussion. Why he is gone no longer matters. Personally, I believe he got the dirty end of a stick and Lovable Lew has shot himself in the privates for the way it was handled the matter. But that too is done so lets move on and hope they find a replacement that can take this program to a higher level. My choice would be Tubberville or Gill but then I don't spend enough money to have a choice. So in the words of an old philosopher, "If the horse is dead, get off."

JHawkins 10 years, 4 months ago

I care about it and thank the local media for pursuing it. I give $ to KU in all forms, as do many others... If they settled for even half of what he was supposed to get (without cause) I wanna know about it. The settlement amount better be below 250k.

To just say, 'let's move forward and not focus on the past' is ignorant without all the details. If the admin did some ridiculous settlement, we need to know about to ensure history doesn't repeat itself.

Hawk1969 10 years, 4 months ago

Does it really benefit anyone to disclose the information? NO!

Please, let's move on...Mangino is gone and it is time to move forward.

Ryan Wood 10 years, 4 months ago

It's against the law to refuse disclosing it Hawk. Why is that OK with you?

John Myers 10 years, 4 months ago

LOL JHawkins.. Prepare to be disappointed.. You're kidding yourself if you think the settlement was only 250k.. Personally, I'm with Hawk1969.. The information doesn't benefit anyone.. It's just the sense of entitlement that seems pervasive this day and age.. Anstaett sounds like a *

Kent Wells 10 years, 4 months ago

I selfishly would like the details to not come out. I've seen enough. It is embarassing and makes me sick.

That said, the LJW has every right to pursue and publish. If he was that bad, folks should know so he doesn't get hired again. What he has done to the kids entrusted to him and KU is bad enough.

Kent Wells 10 years, 4 months ago

And, just for laughs, the real poll should be the over under for the number of comments jwliddell gets redacted by the LJW in his responses to this article...

Hawk1969 10 years, 4 months ago

Who will it benefit rice? Don't you think the program and university have been through enough?

It's time to move on. Take it for what it's worth...legal counsel said not to disclose the details. That's good enough for me.

I'm ready to focus on what's ahead.

Ryan Wood 10 years, 4 months ago

Stop being so naive just because you're tired of hearing about Mangino. The public can't let Lew Perkins bully them around because he doesn't want to tell you how many millions it took to make Mangino go away.

If he was a private university, that's his right. But he's not.

Gordon Penny 10 years, 4 months ago

For me, I don't really give a hoot about the "Sorry we screwed you over" money Mangino got as a parting gift. What I am truly interest in is the results of the investigation. Keeping that stuff secret just leads to more questions, rumors, and more secrets. I think the investigation absolutely ought to be made public. After all, AD Nazi Lew went public that he the school was conducting an investigation, so the results ought to be made public, too, so the public can judge for itself rather than have media outlets and athletic administrations judge for it the quality and appropriateness of the investigation and of the job performance of those involved.

JayCeph 10 years, 4 months ago

hawknhutch and ManginManiac - I concur.

In fact, I think this whole shines a very ugly light on KU. This saddens me.

From a distance, this resembles the distasteful and embarrassing scenario that played out in Chapel Hill when the school there forced out a certain basketball coach (at the behest of it's players) and then proceeded to look like petulant children in their wooing of another coach.

Now, I'm not saying what Mangino did was right or wrong but I AM saying that the way KU handled it WAS wrong. They forced themselves into a corner wherein they HAD to get rid of him (too much public debate on too little fact) and that was going to cost them plenty of dollar signs since they couldn't land anything of any tacit nature on him. Since they chose to carry out the investigation publicly, and since nothing tangible came to light, the school looked like asses AND they were now going to have to pay.

His contract stated that, if there is cause, they can fire him and owe him nothing. If he chose to resign on his own, they owe him nothing. So, the question begs, why are they paying him anything at all if they had the goods on him? The answer... they had bupkiss. They state he is resigning and he will agree to that statement (since it is a provision of his quiet exit) but it all boils down to this, they wanted him out, they made a lot of noise about it, they had nothing to act on (legally) and so floated him down river on a raft made of money.

Is Mangino guilty of these things that he is being accused of? Perhaps... we'll never know. Is the school right to be concerned about what was being said of Mangino? Yep. Did they handle it well? Nope.

The school looks bad, plain and simple.

Rice

Legal counsel said not to disclose the facts. That's enough for me. If you go digging for rotten cheese, you'll find it. Nothing naive about that.

The university already looks bad enough in light of what has happened. Why make it worse by peeling more layers of the onion back? That's COMMON SENSE, not naivety.

KURocksChalk 10 years, 4 months ago

I increasingly like the Journal-World. I think an interesting story would be reaseach into how these huge pay increases every time there is a new football and basketball coach lead to eventual huge increases in AD salaries, and in fact, the university president's salary. How in fact that major college sports are causing massive pay increases for administrations in public universities.

Bill Skeet 10 years, 4 months ago

Hawknhutch and JHawkins, I concur.

JKealing, sounds like its time for the LJW and its counsel to write a brief explanation of why it is important for this information to be made public... Most laws were put in place for a reason, usually with the best interests of the public in mind. The fact that folks don't understand the value of this information and are willing to voluntarily surrender this privilege means that newspaper has some education work to do (in addition to its other responsibilities.)

Interesting, too, we live in a culture with paradoxical values: where the public is willing and eager to know the most intimate, salacious details of entertainment and sports figures (take Tiger Woods, as a current example) and yet don't feel the responsibility to know where tax dollars are going.

RocksChalk

The rich keep getting richer...always been that way.

Bill Skeet 10 years, 4 months ago

BTW- The question to answer is "Why is it important to publicly disclose the details of the separation agreement?"

I also think it would be interesting to understand why KU's legal counsel thinks it is unnecessary to comply with the law or why the law does not apply in this case. I'd love to hear a statement on that.

KU 10 years, 4 months ago

I've got two old says for you:

1) Isn't this "beating a dead horse"? 2) Why not "let sleeping dogs lie"?

KU 10 years, 4 months ago

bskeet.....Tax dollars have not and never will be used to pay coaches salaries.....period. Get informed or don't comment.

KU, I concur

bskeet, discuss the details with an attorney. Obviously the legal counsel has grounds to keep things silent. I doubt if they are flying by the seat of their pants. Why not let the dust settle, so to speak, before we level judgement about any of this.

Speaking for myself, I'd rather move on. I don't care to drag this out any longer than it has already been drug out. The university already has a black eye, now some want blood from a turnip.

I'm very proud of the University of Kansas. Enough is enough...move on.

JHawkins 10 years, 4 months ago

Rice, "It benefits the tax-paying public who deserves to know exactly what's going on financially at the state institution. It's the law." - Thank you, clicks for that, Rice!

& yes, I realize 250 # is a joke. You know what else is a joke? Mangino abusing players and then walking away with millions. Fact.

Isn't that we all cry for transparency now-a-days so, god forbid, we can hold a person/group responsible for their decisions?? These are real tax dollars at work here, ladies & gents...

Hawk1969, I'm all about moving forward. But even I want to know my sunk costs in any business venture!

ginger2015 10 years, 4 months ago

HowMuchRice: It's also against the law to drive 76 mph on the turnpike, but seeing someone do that doesn't bother me either.

Phaedrus Cj 10 years, 4 months ago

You got your scalp Journal World. Leave it alone.

It seems like you won't be satisfied until Coach Mangino has been crucified, drawn, quartered and his remains hung from the bridge over the Kansas River.

Perhaps you should reveal the un named sources used during the witch hunt.

Bill Skeet 10 years, 4 months ago

KU, I didn't say that tax dollars were used to pay coaching salaries.

The salaries are millions and millions of dollars from donors. Alumni, like me. Of course, some care about where those dollars go and some don't.

Any "blackeye" on KU is not my fault. I don't wish to make it worse, but withholding information historically has had that effect.

KU 10 years, 4 months ago

Jhawkins......Mangino's salary wasn't paid with "public dollars". Neither is the settlement money. It's all money from KUAC's coffers, which is money generated by the athletic programs. Therefore, there's no reason to drag this out any longer. Let bygones be bygones and move ahead.

I can't wait to see the next chapter of Jayhawk Football unfold.

Rock Chalk.

KU 10 years, 4 months ago

bskeet......You man need to clarify your comment if you didn't mean that tax dollars were being used. See your comment below:

".... and yet don't feel the responsibility to know where tax dollars are going." --bskeet

jayhawkboogeyman 10 years, 4 months ago

The first chunk of Mangino's salary (120,000) comes from the University, therefore public money. The remaining supplement is from private money. But since a portion of his salary is public money, it is public concern.

Hawk1969 10 years, 4 months ago

You know, I'm more interested in who Lew is going to bring in to build on the foundation Mangino laid.

I support KU financially, much like some of you. That's my decision. After that money leaves my hands, it's KU's. If, or when, I feel like my money is being invested unwisely, then funding stops.

I'm not concerned with the details of the investigation or payout. I believe that the administration will put a quality product on the field next season. I'm not naive. I know NCAA athletics is all about the money...that's why a portion of my financial support is earmarked for academics. However, I sit in the stands of Memorial Stadium and Allen Field house by choice and I'm pretty darned impressed with how the finances have been used.

Sometimes when people go looking for the "rest of the story" they uncover things they'd rather not know. That's why I'm saying "move on".

Let's focus on the hiring of new coach and the possibilities a bright future for KU football.

KU 10 years, 4 months ago

jayhawkboogeyman......Oh puleez! Mangino was one day from the end of his anniversary, so your precious $120,000 of public funds isn't a problem. It has nothing to do with the buyout money. If you're THAT concerned about public spending, you might want to email your Congressman and tell him to vote against the public take-over of the healthcare system.

KU 10 years, 4 months ago

Hawk1969......We are on the same page. I appreciate your comment about your donations to KU. We need to get together in Lawrence and have a toast to Old KU!

Hawk1969 10 years, 4 months ago

KU...sounds like a great idea! I'll be in town Wednesday night for the Radford game. Usually enjoy a pre game beer at the Yatch Club, but not sure if I'll get to Lawrence in time to indulge.

Rock Chalk!!

kuproud96 10 years, 4 months ago

I was under the assumption that the athletic department became an independent agency years ago when it incorporated it's self.

KU 10 years, 4 months ago

kuproud96.....you're on the right track.

Hawk1969......The last time I was at the Yacht Club was about two years ago exactly.......I think we played at USC that day.....hard fought game........OJ Mayo......low scoring........we won. KU showed the kind of grit Bill Self has brought to our program.

Ryan Wood 10 years, 4 months ago

KU, your rants are spirited and admirable but completely inaccurate. Mark Mangino is a state employee. He falls under the Kansas Open Records Act. His buyout is with KUAC money, and KUAC money falls under the Kansas Open Records Act, whether it's privately acquired or not.

Hawk1969 10 years, 4 months ago

KU...looks like some people are catching on (kuproud96).

Sometimes I don't get to the Yatch Club...last time was when Texas was in town...went back and couldn't hear!!! Love Bill's Jayhawks. Tough is a good adjective to describe his teams.

Who do think Perkins will try to get to Lawrence?

Kent Wells 10 years, 4 months ago

Foul. Stop talking basketball. Let's get back to arguing about something none of us control.

Awww, hell. I can't wait for the UCLA game tomorrow!

Doug Merrill 10 years, 4 months ago

IF there ever was a good argument for the KU Athletic program becoming a completely independent private business, as so many have, this is it.

How can anyone expect for KU to do well in negotiations if it has to reveal the entire event as soon as its completed.

This is frankly a disappointing exercise in journalistic pride that is not of any value, but falls directly in the category of "we're doing it because we think we can." It sure won't help the University, which means it sure won't help the State, which means it isn't in the best interest of the readership.

KU 10 years, 4 months ago

Howmuchrice......Correction: Mangino WAS a state employee. Also, as Lew specifically stated: "The terms of the buyout and the investigation will remain a part of Mangino's PERSONNEL file and remain confidential."

I'm sure KU's attorneys were careful to advise Lew about this issue. If there is a legal agreement between Magino and the University that states his buyout and the results of the investigation remain confidential, I doubt if it's subject to the Kansas Open Records Act.

Hawk1969 10 years, 4 months ago

KU...how many times does someone have to say "legal councel instructed Perkins not to disclose the results of the investigation"?

This isn't My Cousin Vinnie, howmuchrice.

KU 10 years, 4 months ago

Don't take my word for it. Here's a quote from the KU athletics website regarding its relation to the Kansas Open Records Act and the link to the site:

"Exceptions To The Open Records Act

The Kansas Open Records Act recognizes that certain records contain private or privileged information.

The Act lists several exceptions, including but not limited to:

Personnel records of public employees Medical treatment records Records protected by attorney/client privilege Records closed by the rules of evidence Records containing personal information compiled for census purposes Notes and preliminary drafts Criminal investigation records Proprietary business information A complete list of exemptions can be found in K.S.A. 45-221. "

Excerpt from: http://www.kuathletics.com/ot/open-records-act.html

Hawk1969 10 years, 4 months ago

KU...you are on the ball. I'm grateful there are still people out there who aren't too lazy to do research.

A well informed person usually wins the debate.

I like how you think.

KU 10 years, 4 months ago

The buyout is NOT public money. It's from KUAC. KUAC's revenue comes from numerous sources, including the price you pay for tickets, merchandise,etc. It's not tax dollars. What a corporation like KUAC does with the money once you fork it over is really none of your business. It's not like you own stock in the company and are entitled to know how KUAC accounts for its money. If you don't like KU and its athletics program, go become a fan of K-State or MU.

bad_dog 10 years, 4 months ago

KU and Hawk1969 might want to read this before doing too much more legal research/analysis:

"Jim Marchiony, associate athletics director, after initially refusing to release the records, responded to the request shortly after 5:15 p.m. on Friday.

He refused to discuss details of the settlement, but said that when the document is finalized, Kansas Athletics would comply with open records laws."

Jonathan Kealing 10 years, 4 months ago

KU--

The Kansas Athletics Corporation bylaws require that the athletics corporation abide by all regulations and policies that apply to the University. The law that allows a university's athletics department (as well as a university's student union, incidentally) to act as a Not-For-Profit corporation also requires those corporations to operate subject to the same rules and regulations of a state organization. We just updated this story a few minutes ago to say that KU has changed their story. Now they're not going to release it because the deal isn't final. And while that certainly doesn't mean they will release it, it cracks open the door.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

Hawk1969 10 years, 4 months ago

baddog, like I've been saying "move on".

Bill Skeet 10 years, 4 months ago

Gosh, it's hard to tell who is being arrogant here: Is the press going too far to expose this information, or is the University inappropriately withholding information in defiance of the law.

I sure hope the University has a good reason for withholding the information. History is littered with examples of institutions and public figures who, through efforts to control information, create a maelstrom that dwarfs the original misdeed (see watergate, Bill Clinton, and take your pick of governors, lawmakers, and celebrities.) It would certainly make us yearn for the days of a skirmish between the FB and BB teams.

I love KU and would be disappointed if any was anything less than 100% compliant with the law and forthright.

If the University wants to challenge the law, it should come out and say that. Or they should reveal on what grounds they are withholding the information to demystify the situation. If there is nothing to hide, then they should not hide it. The fastest way to make this go away is to put the info out and be done with it.

KU 10 years, 4 months ago

jkealing......KU can "comply with the request" without showing the records. It seems to me the KU lawyers are couching their argument in the language that the investigation and the terms of the buyout fall under "personnel records of public employees", which is EXEMPT from the KORA.

Ryan Wood 10 years, 4 months ago

KU lawyers also advised Perkins not to release his salary details back in 2004. And the judge told KU's lawyers that they're full of crap.

I wouldn't go with everything KU's legal counsel advises.

bad_dog 10 years, 4 months ago

hawk1969, I don't need to move anywhere. I didn't advocate disclosure, I just pointed out that your comments about Kansas Athletics' requirement to comply with the open records requests was incorrect.

As noted above:

"A well informed person usually wins the debate."

Ryan Wood 10 years, 4 months ago

The fact is, yes, the personnel files aren't subject to the Kansas Open Records Act. The argument the LJW is making, and they're absolutely right, is that a severance package has no business being stuffed in a personnel file for the simple reason of shielding it from the Open Records Act.

JHawkins 10 years, 4 months ago

Hawkins1969:

"JHawkin, give us a dollsr figure on what you stand to lose financially through all of this? Then possibly let us know how much you've spent on game tickets over the past-let's say-three years."

Well, since my business is in KS, I donate $ to the university, 1/2 to football, 1/2 bb. I'd say I have a voice in this matter & at the very least should have knowledge of what my $ is doing. And how much you've spent on tickets line, are you f'ing kidding me? Let's change our avatars to a close up crotch shot and see who's bigger next time for an argument.. Gimme a break!

Kirk 10 years, 4 months ago

Lew doesn't want the full investigation revealed. The obvious problem would be, "where was the AD during all this reported abuse?"

Hmm. Looks like Perkins waited till Mangino was on a losing streak. Seems like a total lack of principle.

Lew is better off -- at least as much as Mangino is better off -- keeping the results of the smear campaign -- um, investigation -- under wraps.

Dale Kroening 10 years, 4 months ago

the university issued a release in which it indicated the coach and the university had reached an agreement on a buyout that would pay Mangino an undisclosed portion of the roughly $6.6 million he was set to make through 2012. According to the contract, Mangino would have been owed all of his remaining money if he were fired without cause, though he would receive nothing if he were fired with cause.

Yeah fire Lew for doing his job and investigating complaints before deciding to fire MM without cause. If MM did nothing wrong why the hell resign ? Make them fire you and take them to court if you did nothing wrong and were fired without cause so you can get all your money as stated in your $6.6 million dollar contract. It was in MM's contract and he signed it. Did you ever think maybe Mangino didnt want the truth to get out and said : "If you agree not to release this investigation, I'll resign for such and such dollars and go away quietly ? I think the investigation should be released as well as the buyout. That way we will know the truth about the whole situation. To me, taking the buyout if you did nothing wrong shows guilt. Plead guilty if you "supposedly" did nothing wrong, makes sense to me now.

squawkhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

The majority of comments on this site make me sick. I guess KU fans can poke fun of K-State and say how stupid they were to pay Ron Prince more than $2 million in his buyout, but when the shoe is on the other foot KU fans want to hide their heads in the sand and ignore the fact that a very marginal football coach was probably paid between $3 million and $4 million dollars to go bye bye. Who looks like the idiots now? Even worse, slime-ball Lew Perkins comes out of this without so much as a scratch when he orchestrated this whole sham. The school looks aboslutely stupid in the eyes of the entire nation due to Lew's antics and everyone seems to be ok with this. OK, I forgot. IT'S BASKETBALL SEASON so everything is ok! What a joke of a school, what a joke of a football program, what joke of a coach and what a joke of an AD. KU fans are just PATHETIC!