Originally published August 20, 2009 at 09:33a.m., updated August 21, 2009 at 12:00a.m.

Bucs’ CB Talib arrested for allegedly hitting cabbie

Former Kansas cornerback Aqib Talib watches from the Jayhawks' bench after a South Florida touchdown during the third quarter Friday, Sept. 12, 2008 at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa. According to a report, Talib was arrested Wednesday night after being charged with battery and resisting arrest.

Former Jayhawk Talib arrested

Former KU football player Aqib Talib was arrested Thursday morning for battery and resisting arrest. Talib reportedly hit a man and then refused to exit a taxi upon police request. Talib is currently a member of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

— Tampa Bay cornerback Aqib Talib was held out of practice Thursday after police say he punched a taxi driver and was jailed on charges of simple battery and resisting arrest without violence.

The Bucs said the second-year pro, who fought with a teammate during last year’s NFL rookie symposium and then had another confrontation with a teammate this offseason, would not be suspended by the team.

Instead the club referred the matter to commissioner Roger Goodell.

“It’s unfortunate, certainly, what happened last night,” general manager Mark Dominik said.

“I’ve been in contact with the league office. This falls under the personal conduct policy. Certainly whatever decision’s made, the commissioner’s decision supersedes anything the club does at this time.”

Talib, a former Kansas University standout, posted $300 bail early Thursday. A Florida Highway Patrol arrest report said the 23-year-old punched a cab driver in the neck and ear after he picked up Talib and two other men outside a St. Petersburg nightclub.

The Tampa Tribune reported extensively on details of the cab incident. The paper said while in the taxi, Talib was asked three times by trooper John Ryan to exit the vehicle but “was uncooperative, without offering or doing violence,” the police report stated.

The report stated that there was an “indication of alcohol influence.” Both charges are misdemeanors.

According to the Florida Highway Patrol report, the arrest took place about 11:10 p.m. Wednesday at Interstate 275 (State Road 93) and Gandy Boulevard in Pinellas County. Talib was booked into the jail shortly before 1 a.m. and released just after 6 a.m.

David Duggan, the driver of the taxi, said he picked up three men at Nova 535, a lounge in St. Petersburg, about 10:45 p.m. Wednesday and was taking them to the Homewood Suites near Tampa International Airport. A few minutes into Duggan’s drive, it took a dramatic turn.

“I thought I was getting robbed. I thought I was going to die,” Duggan told the Tampa Tribune. “I didn’t know these guys were Tampa Bay football players. I thought I was done.”

Duggan, 47, said he was assaulted by Talib while the player sat in the back seat of his cab. He claims Talib began punching him in the back of his head while he was driving on Interstate 275, prompting Duggan to swerve before stopping on I-275 at Gandy to call the police.

Duggan said he never spoke to Talib while in the cab and the attack was unprovoked. Duggan said he charged the men $50 for the ride and collected the money up front.

Duggan believes Talib was one of three Buccaneers in his cab headed back into the hotel where the team stayed during training camp. He was unsure of the identities of the other two men.

“Talib began punching from behind and the car went from the right lane to the left lane,” Duggan said. “The guy in the front seat started telling at him, ‘Dude, you're going to kill us. You're going to kill us.’

“It felt like I got hit with a hammer. I thought I was getting robbed. Until the cops ran his ID, I had no idea who he was.”

Duggan said responding officers were prepared to pepper spray Talib, but Duggan protested because pepper spraying the car “would be bad for my customers.”

Then three police officers yanked him out the car and stuffed him in the back of the FHP car.

Duggan, who is 5-foot-7, 170 pounds, said he went to the emergency room at Bayfront Medical Center in St. Petersburg at about 1 a.m. and left after 5 a.m. He told the Tribune he has a large knot on the back of his head and is experiencing headaches. For the past two years, Duggan was a tow-truck operator before losing his job. He was “down on his luck” and moved in with a friend. He started working for the Independent cab company three days ago to get back on his feet.

After Duggan’s run in with Talib, he is unsure whether he will drive his cab again.

“I don’t go around beating up people. I’ve never been in a fight in my life. I’m not the type of person,” Duggan said. “It was a vicious attack. It’s like a hungry lion going against a chicken. It was that quick. I called One Buc Place and I’m ticked off. I have a bunch of medical bills now and somebody needs to pay them.”

Talib walked onto the practice field about 30 minutes into an afternoon workout, but did not participate in drills. He left before the end of the session and was not available for comment.

“Obviously you’re concerned, obviously you’re disappointed,” coach Raheem Morris said. “The real deal of the matter is it’s a league issue. ... You have to let it go through due process.”

Shortly after being drafted by the Bucs, Talib clashed with then-teammate Cory Boyd at the rookie symposium.

In May, he apologized for letting emotions get the best of him and swinging a helmet at offensive tackle Donald Penn and accidentally striking cornerback Torrie Cox instead during an offseason workout.

Comments

NebraskaJayhawk 10 years, 7 months ago

What the heck does that have to do with this article, Grampy? Sorry, but it's sad to see professional athletes acting like children regardless of what school they went to.

Landon Brown 10 years, 7 months ago

grampy, your BB comment about us winning the NC has absolutely no relevance to this article. i can't stand Mizzou either, but they are relevant b/c they're our biggest rival and they're in our division.

sucks to hear one of our former football stars in trouble. i thought and hope Aquib has better character.

Kent Wells 10 years, 7 months ago

Dang, granpy. Who pissed in your Wheaties? Now be nice and let some other folks there at the nursing home have some conputer time.

Related to the story, save me some google time please! Who is David Duggan?

gardenjay 10 years, 7 months ago

Aqib obviously is not having a good day here, but other than mentioning alcohol, the article lacks a story.

We all counted him as a favorite player at KU, and watched Aqib go through some other painful growing-up experience(s). He had come a long way, and we need to continue to support him since he is part of the family.

Also, grampy is obviously part of the family too. Stop the in-fighting! Families need grampies, and as a plus isn't it cool ours uses the acronym 'LOL'? That's hip.

LibertyHawk84 10 years, 7 months ago

Anybody surprised by this? The guy has always been a meathead. Mangino needs to watch who he is bringing in to the program.

gutter 10 years, 7 months ago

Just another stupid move by a stupid guy. He fed all of us his b.s. about how he is a better person since the birth of his child. Some of you were foolish enough to believe it.

Joe Ross 10 years, 7 months ago

This is bound to ruffle some feathers, but it's the truth...

Historically when news has broken that current or former Jayhawk players have had run ins with the law, many of the Jayhawk faithful have either criticized the reporting of the news or poo-pooed the offense. It will certainly happen here. Ive made mistakes in my life so I dont act as judge, but I dont bury my head in the sand about what is right and wrong, either.

Like it or not, this incident will reflect on KU football in the eyes of the public but even that is not the primary concern. Aqib brings discredit upon himself by these actions, and none of us should excuse them until his debt to society is paid.

Jason Spangler 10 years, 7 months ago

So Talib beat this sh!t out of some dude? Who the F- cares?

craigers 10 years, 7 months ago

At least he wasn't beating his woman.

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 7 months ago

not good. not good at all. he's a pro now, but this doesn't reflect well on Kansas.

if he's guilty, he'll definitely get suspended from the league for awhile...and possibly some jail time. maybe that's what it'll take to wake him up.

and if he's not guilty, then i hope it comes out. Aquib should have a great career in front of him...if he indeed wants it.

rel76 10 years, 7 months ago

Like "Fight Club"...ouch you hit me in the ear!!!

dustfan 10 years, 7 months ago

Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback Aqib Talib has been handed an arrest following a taxi ride by David Duggan. Aqib Talib was arrested 6 am local time today in Pinellas County by Florida Highway Patrol.

Pinellas County official say the football star was released on $300 bail. Aqib Talib, 23, was arrested following an alleged dispute with cab driver David Duggan. Police were called. When they arrived, police asked Talib to exit Duggan’s cab; officials say Agib refused.

A trooper’s report reportedly describes Aqib Talib as “was uncooperative, without offering or doing violence”. Duggan claims to have been hit by Aqib Talib in the ear and neck with a closed fist.

The NFL issued the following email statement to local press: “As in any other such matter, we will look into it.” Aqib Talib was drafted 20th overall by Kansas in 2008. He has yet to comment about the cab incident.

keeb1211 10 years, 7 months ago

Grampy? Why are you concerned with what other people think...especially Missouri fans. Obviously, MU was on the top of your mind you made that quite clear.

My first thought was that this does not reflect well on KU and that this was not his first brush with the law, but hopefully it was his last. He needs to get his stuff together because Mr Goodell does not tolerate actions like this, a college football program would that is trying to work it's way into the top 25 however might just look the other way.

Ron_Kellogg 10 years, 7 months ago

Word on the steet is he's hanging with Chalmers down in Fla. Hate to see them going down this road.

Kent Wells 10 years, 7 months ago

Agree with Mr. Ross. It does reflect on the program. Period.

What in the hell is going on with pro athletes and Cabbie Beatdown Syndrome (CBS)??? CBS seems to be epidemic. I just paid $17.00 for a 3 mile ride this AM in Louisiana and I managed to avoid jail time. What exactly could go wrong in a cab. Perhaps CBS is caused by those stinky evergreen tree air freshners?

Kevin Long 10 years, 7 months ago

What the hell is he doing out that late anyway? Isn't training camp going on? He needs to be working a little harder on the field. For a 1st round pick he didn't exactly have a stellar rookie season.

waywardJay 10 years, 7 months ago

Joe.... I agree with what you said. You and I have some glaring differences but tis does relfect badly on Talib. I think you might take it alittle too far with the effect on the university. He's a year and a half removed from the field for us, im pretty sure at some point we have to be our own people. Did Colorado suffer a black eye from Rae Carruth ??? Not so much.

Keep in mind, according to what i read.... The cops did not WITNESS the assault... they charged him with assault based on what the cabbie said. Maybe he hit him, Maybe not.

Any one ever been in a cab that tried to rip you off ????? I thought so.

Rel - The ear, Why the ear... Im sorry man... Naw,That was perfect.

Jonathan Allison 10 years, 7 months ago

He only led his team in interceptions and earned a starting spot at corner. I'm not going to criticize him for staying out late and partying, but you can't just go around beating on people. It's not nice, and it reflects poorly on you, your family, your team, and the university who's football coach took a chance on you. You have to keep that temper in check, man. Keep that fire under control.

Hopefully the NFL doesn't see this as deserving of a suspension. I mean... 2 misdemeanor charges... he posted $300 bail for crying out loud. Fine him $20000 and let let him repay his debt to society with community service. Get the guy some anger management classes too.

Kent Wells 10 years, 7 months ago

waywardJay:

"Any one ever been in a cab that tried to rip you off ?????"

Dude, read my post. I paid $17.00 this AM for a 3 mile ride to the airport. You think I was ripped off? I should have become stricken with CBS and left her bleeding in a bayou somewhere for even thinking about jacking with me.

I would think, and it might be the jetlag talking, that if you are out at 6AM when you should be focusing on training camp right now, you might want to stay under the radar. My dad used to tell me that if I couldn't get businees taken care of by 1AM, I shouldn't be doing whatever I was doing.

waywardJay 10 years, 7 months ago

KUwells.... You saying an adult doesn't have the right to let of some steam, especially someone with anger issues.... not saying he was being smart at all.... but come on... we don't all live by your standards and rules..... Just because he was out late doesn't mean he was guilty of not practicing hard..... You have NO IDEA on that, so leave it sit.

As for me in this, Im waiting to hear the whole story before i hate too much on Aqib. If the cabbie ripped him off, held him hostage and then the punches were thrown.... IM not surprised...... and to that extent.... there is something MAJOR wrong iwth this cabbie.....

It was originally intended for a rhetorical because those who have ridden in cabs have been ripped off.... not all cabbies are crooks but some are.

they teach you in robbery situations specifically, to avoid injury DO NOT LOCK THE PERSON IN WITH YOU.... let him stiff you... you think the Cabbie didn't know who he had in his cab ???? The Cabbie should go work in a retail job for a while and learn, let the guy leave.... Yeah it's your money... but it's your livelyhood.... You do that to Rae Carruth you will get shot.

Clarence Haynes 10 years, 7 months ago

The good news is that if there was alcohol consumption, at least he had the wherewithall to catch a cab (albeit the wrong one). Also, are there some anger management issues here?

Kent Wells 10 years, 7 months ago

He was in a cab at 6AM. Riiiight - he was on his way to the gym. Or, if he's really working hard, he was headed back FROM the gym. Awesome.

And you are right, not everyone lives by the same set of standards and rules. And apparently, athletes have a much different code. I promise you that 90-95% of the folks that read this operate with pretty much the same set of rules.

Fortunately, Rae Carruth must not ride in taxis, or I'm sure we would have read about that by now.

Next time someone is being jacked by a cabbie, remember stop, drop, and roll, and avoid CBS!

Rivethead 10 years, 7 months ago

klong - read plasticJHawk's post - Talib had a fantastic rookie season.

Supposedly it was "Rookie Night" in Tampa - that's the night that all the veteran take out the rookies, run up a big tab, and make the rookies pay it.

While this does not reflect well on KU, we can take comfort in the fact that 90% of the US thinks Kansas is near Utah. Hell, I got in a car wreck last night here in Austin and when the guy was looking at my car (he rear-ended me) he noticed my Jayhawk decal. He goes "hey I noticed that Woodpecker - Kentucky, right?" LOL.

Clarence Haynes 10 years, 7 months ago

Locker room material!

"when the guy was looking at my car (he rear-ended me) he noticed my Jayhawk decal. He goes "hey I noticed that Woodpecker - Kentucky, right?"

10 years, 7 months ago

"...I got in a car wreck last night here in Austin and when the guy was looking at my car (he rear-ended me) he noticed my Jayhawk decal. He goes "hey I noticed that Woodpecker - Kentucky, right?" LOL."

Rivethead ~ That is priceless! You can't expect much from a tu Tea Sip, though :^)

Kent Wells 10 years, 7 months ago

Rivethead: clearly a missed opportunity to beat someones ass and claim CBS. Seriously, you let him get away with a "Woodpecker" crack? Clearly some neck trauma impairing decision making. Sue!

Look, I'm in San Antonio. All I need is an address and gas money and I'll take care of it for you!

Tim Orel 10 years, 7 months ago

We should all wait for the report - he was taking a cab instead of driving, which makes him responsible for not driving under the influence, and so far it appears that he just didn't do exactly what the officer said for him to do in the way the officer said for him to do it - ie, he didn't resist arrest, didn't flee or do anything that would have caused much more of a ruckus. He probably just didn't respond quick enough in getting out of the cab and putting hands on the car so he could be frisked and cuffed. I'm willing to wait and hear his side of the story, which should be coming out soon from his lawyer or agent (I doubt they'll let him speak). This could very well be a he said/he said situation. There's no word that there was any sign that there was any bruises or blood, so it may very well be unprovable.

The thing I love about the AP statement is that KU drafted Aquib - not that he was drafted FROM KU, but that KU drafted him. If they're that careless in the statement, what else did they leave out.

waywardJay 10 years, 7 months ago

Of course he wasn't on the way to the gym idiot.... he was partying. that was not what i was suggesting. what i was suggesting is, it's NOT a crime for a 25 year old to go out ot a bar. It's not a crime for him to ride home in a taxi, and if they taxi driver LOCKED HIM IN THE CAR .... that is detaining someone illegally. He may have been in right to defend himself, and literally NONE of this proves he was not doing his due dilligence on the practice field.

We won't know until the Lawyers hash this all out.

Finally, let this be a lesson to cabbies. Getting stiffed on a tip is not the end of the world. Be honest and you will be rewarded honestly.

Brandon Snook 10 years, 7 months ago

Not surprising, but nevertheless disappointing.

David Lara 10 years, 7 months ago

There is much here that needs to be clarified. First of all, the article posted by dustfan has a few "facts" that don't really make any sense at all. For instance, the "drafted by Kansas" thing that coloradojhawk noticed. Also that he was arrested at 6 am after riding in a cab, while the original article states that he was arrested at 1 am and posted bail and was RELEASED at 6 am. Very different story, and since i don't know of any clubs/bars in FL that are open that late, i don't know why he would be taking a cab from a club at that time of night. I think avoiding the posted article and sticking to the original is probably best...

Also, I don't subscribe to the theory that the cabbie locked the guys in since the arrest happened on interstate 275. Why would Talib want to exit his ride home in the middle of the interstate? That theory doesn't fit. Getting ripped off by a cabbie is one thing, but if you are told to pay up front why would you be ok with the amount and hand it over when you leave the club and then suddenly halfway home decide you got ripped off and retaliate? Why not get out at the club and find a different cab if you don't like the rate he required up front? The story is way too incomplete and I can't figure out from the facts in the article what would have caused his aggression. Temporary insanity?? If we don't ever get Talib's side of things we have to assume he just snapped for some stupid reason and reacted without thinking, which is becoming a trend for him. I hope he is suspended. Maybe that will wake him up to his responsibility as a human being. Here's hoping something does.

10 years, 7 months ago

The cabbie's side of the story sounds bizarre at best. I hope at some point we are able to hear Talib's side of the story, and what the other passengers witnessed.

bradh 10 years, 7 months ago

Wow, JRoss was right. Seemed like a pretty clear case of assault and battery to me. His fellow TB players riding in the car didn't provide any of the excuses we came up with, without any evidence, to excuse Talib. I especially liked the "who cares, it was just a cabbie". We're an insensitive bunch these days.

Rick Arnoldy 10 years, 7 months ago

This is a clear example of needing to wait until the facts come out. The article now says "the arrest took place about 11:10 p.m. .... Talib was booked into the jail shortly before 1 a.m. and released just after 6 a.m."

11pm is hardly a late night out.

The cabby's story lacks credibililty as well. "Duggan said he never spoke to Talib while in the cab and the attack was unprovoked." Right. It just makes sense for a passenger to start beating on a driver for no reason as they're going down the interstate. Uh huh.

Not saying Talib is innocent in this but this whole story has a stink to it.

TrueBlue92 10 years, 7 months ago

Two nights ago was the Rookie night out marking the close of training camp. While there was still a curfew, it was later.

What does not make sense to me (watching from a long way away) is who/why in the world would you "unprovoked" start wailing on the driver of the car you are in, particularly on one of the busiest interstates in the middle of the city? And don't think for a minute this cabbie didn't know who these guys were -- Rookie night out means the rookie players pick up the tab for the evening (I understand Josh Freeman had the entire OL following him around -- how about THAT meal ticket), and it's not like these guys go to Long John Silvers. Plus, the entire city knows what hotel the players are in during training camp, so the destination was also a tip-off. So I'll venture the cabbie is way overstating this hoping for a payday, and I'll take a step out on a limb and guess the cabbie was running his mouth and Talib (with his stupid on) gave in. Because, frankly, the cabbie's story is stupid and does not make sense.

Cops can claim being uncooperative if you look at them funny. Everything that has happened is a misdemeanor. I'll bet this will all evaporate with no punishment from the league (and probably a civil case by the cabbie to recover medial costs).

Yes, it reflects poorly on the NFL. But I'm not sure anyone is going to blame his college.

esteshawk 10 years, 7 months ago

Many cops are cops because of the power trip, and do claim things that are not true. I know many many people that have had incidents with cops, then had those cops make stuff up about being uncooperative in order to justify their actions. The cabby is down on his luck . . . is that motive for trying to get cash out of the Buc franchise? The cabby story is that he did nothing. Sounds a little odd that Talib would be riding along and then for no reason attack this guy. makes me wonder what the cabby said or did. There's more to this story.

In the end, it won't matter: Talib will give this guy some cash, and charges will be dropped.

gardenjay 10 years, 7 months ago

Agreed, esteshawk. It does sound a little odd.

There are also a lot of postings ready to slay Aqib before the whole story is out. Sounds like there is a lot of bitter fruit among the fan base ready to lay their own problems and past on this man. He has a lot to deal with now, and needs our support.

Why? Because all the money and fans in college football supported Aqib to be as aggressive as possible on the field. Are we saying these players should leave their aggressions on the football field, and that should be easy to do? What are the stats here - are college and professional football players more likely to get into these situations? Aren't we partly responsible for uber-support of human aggression?

In addition, are professional football players more vulnerable to accusation because of their status? I think so. What about the scenario where there were two defense attorneys in the cab with Aqib at the time of the incident. They would be fighting over getting him as a client, and they would be needed, because look at what a killing the two prosecuting attorneys, also in the cab at the time, would make representing the cab driver - a huge fight there as well could be en'suing'. Those prosecutors may just want a cut, so they 'won't charge the cabbie a dime'. One of them may be on the cover of your phone book bragging about the 'millions of dollars recovered', and your phone company probably doesn't even have a rate sheet for that kind of advertising.

There is a whole industry behind the headlines you bought into, whether those headlines have a grain of truth to them or not. Someday some of you will have the joy of false accusations. Especially if you are successful.

Do I digress? Is this off-topic? No. Just look at the headline.

rockemchalkemrobots 10 years, 7 months ago

"Duggan said he charged the men $50 for the ride and collected the money up front."

Anyone find it weird that the cabbie made them pay before taking them anywhere? I've ridden in cabs in several cites, including Tampa, and have never had to pre-pay, even for long trips to the airport. Perhaps Talib perceived this as a slight and it rubbed him the wrong way. There's no excuse for the type of violence portrayed in this story, but even an irrational explanation is better than no explanation.

Rick Arnoldy 10 years, 7 months ago

Common routes such as from an airport to a major hotel might have fixed fees. I've paid up front before. You don't end up with a cabby taking indirect routes trying to run up the bill - they actually drive crazy fast so they get to the next customer.