Tuesday, August 18, 2009

KU basketball will be a part of ESPN’s College GameDay … in Manhattan

The Kansas men's basketball team will be a part of ESPN's College GameDay when the team travels to face Kansas State on Jan. 30 at Bramlage Coliseum in Manhattan, ESPN announced Tuesday.

This will be the first time College GameDay has made a stop at Kansas State.

The college basketball version of the popular College GameDay football series, which consists of two one-hour shows each Saturday from a campus site, will start its sixth year this upcoming season.

The shows will air at 11 a.m. and also 6 p.m. on Jan. 30, with the game between KU and K-State tipping off at 7 p.m.

Comments

waywardJay 5 years, 3 months ago

It will be Judge versus jury of his peers ( even though they are significantly older do we still consider Brady and CJ 'his peers'"

vmwskywalk 5 years, 3 months ago

It will also be the first and last time the Game Day crew will have to deal with barnyard animals.

Joel Hood 5 years, 3 months ago

Hummm. I wonder if ESPN will actually show the K-Staters throwing chickens onto the court?

On one hand, it would be hilarious for the world to see how pathetic KSU fans are – just let them embarrass themselves. On the other hand, that would really be embarrassing for the state of Kansas in general.

I’m torn. Anyone care to offer an opinion?

Dyrk Dugan 5 years, 3 months ago

somebody sold their soul at KSUck again to make this happen. what in the world is ESPN thinking? good grief, what an utter embarrassment for the Big 12, to showcase KSU's basketball facilities and pathetic student body base to the world.

maybe they'll do a feature on the grapes 4-46 record vs. their big rival in mens basketball in the last 20 years.

waywardJay 5 years, 3 months ago

This slate may change..... they do this occasionally..... i think the marquee game is Kansas v. Texas, unless Duke V. UNC is that same weekend.... i expect we will get the road warrior treatment twice

Kent Wells 5 years, 3 months ago

ESPN decision makers must be sniffing glue. Or they presume the hotels in the little A are safe for erin andrews to prance about nude.

Michael Leiker 5 years, 3 months ago

KSU gets a College Gameday strictly because of KU. Embarassing...

waywardJay 5 years, 3 months ago

there has to be a lack of any other big time game..... or perhaps since we have lost there only once in like 26 years.... those espn'ers thought it WAS our home

5 years, 3 months ago

vmwskywalk ~

That's no way to talk about the KSU fans! :^)

jayhawkerjoel ~

I believe we have to look at the bigger picture and hope they don't televise such buffoonery. As you alluded to, it reflects poorly on the state of Kansas.

waywardJay ~

They got the wrong Allen Fieldhouse, didn't they.

Christopher Hauser 5 years, 3 months ago

I went down to Arkansas a couple of years ago to visit a friend that had moved down there. I had never been to Arkansas and I have no desire to go back. This will be a similar situation for ESPN going to Manhattan.

I also heard news that the bid that Manhattan, KS won for the government bio lab (virus research lab) will be placed in Bramblidge Coliseum since it is such a cold and sterile hole in the ground. I guess KSU basketball will have to find a new place to be mediocre. That is a shame since they were able to be mediocre so close to the football program at Bramblidge. Smart move, lets put this kind of lab in Tornado Alley.

Seriously though, they do have some pretty good players. Maybe good enough to get a 4th place finish in the Big 12 (or Big XII since some seem to think it is a big deal to type it one way or the other) depending on their schedule.

Kent Wells 5 years, 3 months ago

Apparently there is no other game that day. Period!

frompekka2sasha 5 years, 3 months ago

chrishauser- ESPN has been to Mancrappin' twice before for the football version of College Gameday. It's certainly a dump but they already know that going in.

Christopher Hauser 5 years, 3 months ago

frompekka2sasha-I know ESPN has been to Manhattan (Oklahoma, Nebraska?), it was more for the comparison of every time I come close to Manhattan I feel like I am in the backwoods. Have you been to some of the towns around and including Manhattan and met some of the people? If not, it is a riot. Try St George, KS, Ogden, KS, Wamego, KS, and Westmorland, KS. Every time I have to go in this area for business I feel like I am in the place I visited in Arkansas. No offense to all of Arkansas, I have only been to a small geographical area there.

Christopher Hauser 5 years, 3 months ago

No offense to people on this website that may be from this area, there are exceptions to everything. I am not that narrow minded.

Kent Wells 5 years, 3 months ago

Chris: I've been to Arkansas. I know why its called a toothbrush. If they could read, they might still not be offended. Get ready for the fire, dude. Its a coming.

Christopher Hauser 5 years, 3 months ago

kuwells-woops I forgot I am using my actual name on this website, still I stand by what I have written. I think my approval rating may be in for a point hit though! Oh well, I never care too much about public opinion anyway, maybe I should run for President.

Joe Ross 5 years, 3 months ago

In the Bible, some people were healed when Jesus' shadow fell on them. Guess Kansas State is the beneficiary of proximity to greatness.

oldalum 5 years, 3 months ago

There's nothing wrong with their fan support when it's a big occasion. It was outstanding when they beat us in 08. For ESPN it will probably be even bigger. Too bad they will be demolished before a national audience.

Martin Rosenblum 5 years, 3 months ago

I told you guys there were ESPN people in that limo that was spotted driving around Lawrence a couple of weeks ago. They probably had just come from Manhattan and needed to get the bad taste out of their mouths before going to KCI, and they needed a KU breath mint!

Also, (from another article) I bet Bill Self's lost bet was that ESPN would not go to KSU when he was playing there. He said ".. if College Gameday goes to K-State when we're playing there, I'll grow a beard!"

Kent Wells 5 years, 3 months ago

Don't worry chrishauser (not your real name).

1. There are a lot of sexually frustrated English teachers on this site - they need an outlet and since females are out of the picture, you'll do.

2. Maybe Patino thought he was Presidential material and this is why he tapped trailer trash barbie in a Louisville restaurant. You've got a long way to go before you seriously establish yourself as a candidate for President.

priceiswright 5 years, 3 months ago

In all honesty this may not be good for the safety of the KU players(anybody remember Rex Walters having to get stiches because ksu fans were heating up pennies and throwing them at KU players). You let those attention starved, self-esteem challenged idiots in manhattan get drunk all day after going to the morning taping of the show and it could be trouble. The list of things thrown at KU players in manhattan is long; bannanas, chickens, and as I mentioned before pennies. This just seems like a really bad idea..

Christopher Hauser 5 years, 3 months ago

priceiswright- Didn't something happen to Steve Woodberry as well?

sdoyel 5 years, 3 months ago

Sweet! So when Clemente throws a punch this year, we can see it in HD AND from multiple angles....

mjlindsm 5 years, 3 months ago

Too bad the Texas game fell on a Monday. Obviously they were going to have a Kansas game for a Gameday game since they always have the preseason #1 for a Gameday game. The schedule just didn't work out. Poor Reece Davis and crew. They really get the short end of that stick.

blowhard 5 years, 3 months ago

Just go in and put on a classy beatdown of that third-rate program...At the onset, their crowd will be vicious...hopefully we hit 'em with some big runs and shut the place up...then it's off to play bigger games. Every opponent is gunning for us...play like the Champions we are!!!

KGphoto 5 years, 3 months ago

It's good for the rivalry. Sure you hate your rival. But without them you'd be bored off your ass. And lately KU basketball has been an only child. No little Kansas brother to thump on.

Besides, it's just one more opportunity to hear the chant on national TV.

Joel Hood 5 years, 3 months ago

priceiswright - do you remember who KSUck threw bananas at????

/ / / / / / /

Donny Von Moore.

waywardJay 5 years, 3 months ago

Don't be so quick to JUDGE, Judge ? Barnblidge is still Denis Clemente's house and he may have a bone to pick with Brady Morningstar.

K-state fans have something to crow about, they will likely be running close for 2nd or 3rd in the north ( which Tom Asbury would have dreamed of ).... A few breaks they could be contenders.... there are stilla few decent players there, and they could be trouble..... However, as aggressive our guys SHOULD Be..... ( considering we can play legitimately 13 guys come January ) we should wear just about any team we play down in the second half and route'em.....

I still like Brady for the start....

Cole Marcus Xavier Brady Sherron "kieff, Trob, Mario Cj-EJ And tyshawn as the second team.....

priceiswright 5 years, 3 months ago

Exactly when was ksu the team to beat in the state of kansas? Maybe they have had a better squad a couple of times in the last 100 years, but to say they have been the team to beat in the state of kansas is a joke. The overall record in the series is 175-90. This is not a rivalry it is a yearly beatdown and that is not going to change. I hope that pathetic athletic department in manhattan continues it's downward spiral until they can never get back up again.

FairgroveJayhawk 5 years, 3 months ago

I hope Manhattan replaces that dirt air strip before Jan. 30.

Joel Hood 5 years, 3 months ago

Hey price, I hate to say it, but KSUck had a really tough team in the late 1970s - early 1980's with Ro Blackman & co. (think lavender jerseys and violet shorty shorts.) KU was suffering in the doldrums of poor ole Ted's last few years then. They were also competitive in the late 1980's with Mitch Richman - they were one game away from a Final Four............................ bwaaaahaaaaaaahaaaaaaaahaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 years, 3 months ago

K-State actually played Kentucky for the National Championship in 1951 and lost. They have had some pretty good head coaches in their past as well (e.g. Tex Winter, Cotton Fitzsimmons, Jack Hartman, Lon Kruger). We are 3-5 in the big game, losing twice to Indiana. Maybe with Coach Self in charge, we can tilt our championship record to the winning side.

knayte 5 years, 3 months ago

KGPhoto, I agree...this is a good thing. For us, for K-State, for the rivalry. I'm glad they're doing it in Manhattan and I hope K-State has a good record coming into it.

Kent Wells 5 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, who could forget that great KSuck team of 1939. I'm pissed I did.

I'm all tingly with excitement that the kitty cats are on the return to greatness. So, for this compelling debate of just how great ksu is, I researched head to head competition between the two programs. My source being the 2007-2008 media guide.

The first game was in 1907 and the Hawks were victorious. In fact, they set the tone for this "great" rivalry winning 5 of the first six games.

Not that ksu hasn't strung together some wins. Four in a row in 1912-13, 1916,1921, 1947/8, 1949/50, 1962/4, 1978/80.

So what is the most consecutive wins for ksuck over KU. Well the gold standard for the great program is 5. Its happened a whopping 3 times! 5 in a row in 1918/9, 1972/4, and most recently from 1982 to 1983.

As for KU, a different story. I'll just ignore the 4 and 5 consecutive wins and focus on larger numbers. 8 in a row (1930-2), 9 (1934-6), 10 (1984-1987), 22 (1938-47), and you really don't need a time machine for the 31 in a row from 1994-2005.

Yes, jayhawkinnebr, the numbers don't lie. Great programs. Are you kin to jayhawkinmullen?

Don't get me wrong, but rivalries are two way streets. The last time ksu even came close to playing KU .500 ball was during the days of the Big 7 (12-10, KU).

This hasn't been a rivalry since the 50's. And I'm not an aggy hater, some of my best friends have made the mistake of going to manhattan. We all make mistakes. Some by choice, some due to federal sentancing guidelines, or entry into witness protection programs. Your mistake happened with that ascenine comment about a return to greatness. Would a return to mediocrity suffice?

Kent Wells 5 years, 3 months ago

This should help you out.

Personally, that isn't bad for typing it all out on a BlackBerry while sitting in an airport.

And this isn't "talking".

Pinkels_Visor 5 years, 3 months ago

Obviously, if you think about it, ESPN knows EXACTLY what they're doing. If this game would have been at KU nobody would be that excited about it. Now, since it's at Animal Husbandry U, all of the Staters will be rabid for an upset and KU fans are LIVID that the game is out there. Genius. Adds to the "rivalry".

Say what you want, but I would rather lose a hard-fought game to MU than KSU. Civil War history aside, you must own your state. I enjoy owning KSU. This is something MU doesn't have to worry about because they don't have enough people in their state smart enough to build another major university...