Monday, August 17, 2009

Keegan

Rookies impress Briscoe

During his time as a student-athlete at Kansas University, junior wide receiver Dezmon Briscoe has had an easier time getting out of the way of would-be tacklers than out of his own way. Still, he remains an easy guy for whom to root.

He projects approachability, friendliness and humility during interviews. Sure, he has a nervous habit of saying, “Know what I’m saying?” but it doesn’t come across as obnoxious, know what I’m saying? Briscoe’s passion for football and particular interest in receivers dominate his personality.

A trio of freshman receivers already had intrigued Briscoe by the time of Tuesday’s Media Day, during which he followed the script magnificently in expressing contrition for scholastic shortcomings that resulted in his suspension. It wasn’t until the conversation turned to football that Briscoe’s face lit up. What, I asked him, did he think of the newcomers?

“We’ve got a real, real good freshman receiver class, as far as Chris Omigie being out wide and Bradley McDougald and Erick McGriff,” Briscoe said. “Those three have really stood out in practice.”

McGriff stands 6-foot-4, weighs 205 pounds and comes to KU from Jesuit High in Tampa, Fla. His father, Fred McGriff, nicknamed “Crime Dog” (after the cartoon McGruff the Crime Dog), was known as one of baseball’s good guys during a 19-year career (1986-2004) in which he slugged 493 home runs. He used his hands to scoop up errant throws to first base. His son also knows how to corral throws, errant and accurate.

“He’s got great hands, know what I’m saying?” Briscoe said of Erick McGriff. “I don’t think I’ve seen him drop a ball in practice.”

As a senior, McGriff was named all-county first-team at wide receiver, second team at defensive back.

Omigie, a similarly long, 6-4, 200-pound native of Arlington, Texas, was an accomplished wide receiver and long jumper in high school.

“He made one of the greatest catches I’ve ever seen in life, in practice,” Briscoe said of Omigie. “The ball was underthrown, he made his way back over the cornerback and caught it with one hand. I mean, he has great hands as well. He uses his size well, and he’s strong.”

A candidate to help Briscoe with kick-return duties, McDougald comes to Kansas from Dublin, Ohio. A four-star prospect, McDougald played running back and safety in high school and served a three-game suspension as a senior. He originally committed orally to Ohio State.

“He seems to have a knack for getting open and going over the top to make a play,” Briscoe said. “He’s pretty much a spectacular-catch receiver.”

Briscoe isn’t the guy the coaching staff would want organizing newcomers’ appointment calendars for tutoring sessions, but he can and will share football pointers.

“I really appreciate Marcus Henry, what he did for the team and what he did for me and John (Wilson) when we were young,” Briscoe said. “He developed us, told us how to get open, how to read coverages and how to make plays like he did that year.”

The offense has room for one more big-play receiver to join Briscoe, Kerry Meier and Wilson, and there seems to be no shortage of candidates.

Comments

Dirk Medema 11 years, 3 months ago

There are a half dozen returning WR's besides DB, KM, JW. Are the freshmen going to jump over all of them for PT?

I'm hoping the 3 WR's can all catch in the neighborhood of 80 passes, and that at least 3 can rotate in enough to prepare for next year with 20 each (+/-).

Hopefully, this season is as much about preparing for next year as it is about winning this year. Let's start building a legacy.

KEITHMILES05 11 years, 3 months ago

I have a feeling Dezmon is going to succeed this year. He has learned his lessons.

Rivethead 11 years, 3 months ago

I think we'll see one of the three get PT and the other two will redshirt. My guess is that McDougald plays.

NebraskaJayhawk 11 years, 3 months ago

I don't think they will redshirt. Just a hunch. We have a great shot at getting Terry out of Olathe next season, so we are really starting to reload at the WR position.

KGphoto 11 years, 3 months ago

The all time "know what I'm saying" king is Kenyon Martin.

It's a verbal crutch. Most of us use them. Usually it's "uh" instead. But gangstas use "know what I'm saying" or "gnomesain". Kenyon utilizes an array of abbreviated versions right down to "nosain" and even "sain". And as you saw, he can lace them together at a dizzying rate.

I haven't heard Dezbro say it yet. I imagine it sounds like a kid trying to be cool. You know? Not too tough, but tougher than if you tried it.

But Kenyon is truly gangsta. He's truly tough, and he's smooth with it. Like, you would never, ever make fun of Kenyon for this. Not in person. Notice that nobody outside of YouTube ever has. Reporters just nod their heads like "Very good, you're doing great Kenyon. Go ahead I've got all day".

Hey nice article though. I really appreciate some of the detail about Briscoe's personality. We see a lot of stories about expectations and stats or getting in trouble. But it's the little things that are the most intriguing, once you've established a little fandom for a player. Things you only notice if you are there in person, like "projecting approachability, friendliness and humility". Pretty good stuff.

Jaminrawk 11 years, 3 months ago

It's just nice to see KU getting talented wideouts through recruiting. I remember when it seemed like Isaac Bryd was the only guy in a 10-year period that could consistently get open. The later Terry Allen era was filled with stone-handed receivers.

justanotherfan 11 years, 3 months ago

Anybody troubled by the fact that the top two players in Kansas this year (according to Rivals) are both OU recruits (Blake Bell and Justin McCay). We have to close these borders. Also, we are being outrecruited instate by KSU.

number1jayhawker 11 years, 3 months ago

Nebraska jayhawk, Keeston Terry is from Blue Springs, MO.

These three new guys are better than most all of the wrs not named Meier, Briscoe & Wilson.

NebraskaJayhawk 11 years, 3 months ago

You're right. For some reason I was thinking he was out of Olathe. My point is, I don't see a need to redshirt these guys.

ShazzyD 11 years, 3 months ago

Considering we will lose both Meier and Briscoe after this season, I think it makes a lot of sense to get the new class some playing time THIS year instead of redshirting them. Maybe 1 of the 3 should redshirt.

But unless you want to see Isiah Barfield and Jonathan Wilson as our #1 and #2 next year, we need to get these freshman some experience this year.

Alex Berger 11 years, 3 months ago

KG that was one of the funniest posts I've ever seen, haha. Well done.

And who is Terry from Olathe? Is he a ranked prospect, like 3,4, or 5 star on recruiting sites?

NebraskaJayhawk 11 years, 3 months ago

Keeston Terry is from Blue Springs as number1jayhawker pointed out, not Olathe. My mistake....

However, he is a very highly touted receiver (4 star) and is the son of former Jayhawk Doug Terry who was a standout safety for the K.C. Chiefs for a good number of years. He committed to Nebraska early and has decommitted. KU is one of the schools on his list now.

justanotherfan 11 years, 3 months ago

Keeston Terry is listed as committed to KU. I think I read a couple of weeks ago that he wanted to declare prior to the high school season starting.

gamblinggringo 11 years, 3 months ago

Loved the Kenyon video. I'm still giggling, know what I'm saying. Thanks for posting that link.

waywardJay 11 years, 3 months ago

in 57 seconds.... Kenyon's Cinncinnati education is serving him well in the NBA, Knowhadimsain ?

There are ALOT of people who trash Dez's personality. Saying he's selfish, saying he's arrogant, saying he's too into himself. and i Say.... He's a receiver. Most of them are.

There are two incredibly quirky positions in Football that require people with certain bravado to play them, Corner and Receiver. It takes someone who can change the game in seconds, and it takes someone who can do a multitude of things at once. For any of you curious, try running full speed at a fixed point leaping full into the air..... grabbing an object out of mid air and landing with 1 Or 2 feet inside that fixed object..... See what your success rate is.... not high to be sure.

Talib's a great example of this kind of player, Dez seems far too quiet for this position ,especially considering his numbers.... It's almost like he's too humble for the 'tude.... maybe it was the 'tude that got him suspended.... All i know, since h's been back he's been all about team first..... and for someone who plays this specific positiong it's an oddity. Let's hope as his numbrs increase this season, the Confidence runs high. ;)

bg_duck1 11 years, 3 months ago

i'm not sure if i really want to see Dezbro back returning kicks if we have other fast young dudes who can make plays and get experience (as long as they can hang onto the ball) no need to expose Dezbro to a chance at injury if we don't need to b/c didn't he get hurt in the mizzou game last year on a kick return?

Robert Brock 11 years, 3 months ago

Terry -- “My decision had nothing to do with the people up in Lincoln or the coaching staff. There are great people up there with awesome support,” he wrote. “I just felt more comfortable at Lawrence."