Sunday, August 16, 2009

Bedore

Pitino won’t be punished

Questions begging to be answered ...

Q: What’s going to happen to University of Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino, who had a one-night extramarital affair with Karen Cunagin Sypher and told police he gave her $3,000 after she said she needed an abortion but didn’t have health insurance?

A: Nothing. Future Hall of Famer Pitino has received a vote of confidence from U of L president James Ramsey and athletic director Tom Jurich.

Obviously those university leaders consulted with Louisville’s wealthiest donors, who want to keep Pitino around with John Calipari now lurking 75 miles away at rival Kentucky.

Q: What bothers you the most about the Pitino mess?

A: Aside from the coach’s lack of judgment and reckless behavior? It’d be athletic director Jurich telling ESPN he’s “one million percent behind coach Pitino.”

Isn’t 100 percent a strong enough show of support considering the seriousness of the matter, Mr. Jurich?

Q: Why did Cub fan Johnny Macchione of Bartlett, Ill., drop a beer on Phillies outfielder Shane Victorino as Victorino settled under a fly ball Wednesday night at Wrigley Field?

A: My guess is because he’d already had too many $6.50 drafts to drink and decided to share one with Victorino.

Beer and sports don’t mix in Chicago, my hometown.

Remember back in 2002 when two crazies charged out of their Comiskey Park box seats onto the field to tackle and punch K.C. Royals first-base coach Tom Gamboa?

It’s bad enough when drunken idiots beat on fellow fans. It’s worse when they go after the participants.

Drink in moderation again this year during your football tailgate parties, KU fans. KU-Mizzou is intense enough when the fans are sober, much less blitzed.

Q: Anything out of the ordinary happen Tuesday at KU football Media Day?

A: Yes. At one point, with 15 minutes left in the session, quarterback Todd Reesing had zero reporters interviewing him.

Years ago, KU Media Day meant non-stop questioning of the QB and perhaps one other offensive and defense player. Now there are so many accomplished Jayhawks to choose from that even the starting signal-caller gets a break.

Q: Was KU athletic director Lew Perkins smart to extend women’s basketball coach Bonnie Henrickson’s contract three years?

A: Yes. Henrickson, who had just two years remaining on her pact, needs to be armed with a four- to five-year deal so she can assure recruits she will be around for their entire college careers.

Now it’s up to Bonnie to earn her $635,000 per annum by leading KU into the 2010 NCAAs.

Q: How do you think KU football and men’s basketball will fare this season?

A: The sky’s the limit ... IF the top players stay healthy.

A healthy Cole Aldrich and Sherron Collins figure to lead KU into the Final Four. Once there, anything can happen.

A healthy Reesing is capable of directing KU into the Big 12 title game. Once there, anything can happen.

The 2009-10 school year begins Thursday. Get ready for a wild ride.

Comments

KGphoto 10 years, 5 months ago

A: Pitino should have to wear that ridiculous white suit every game this year. This time with a scarlet A patched on.

-Remember that those two crazies in 2002 were father and son? Nice.

Q: Who is the big recruit that Bonnie needs to give assurance too?

bayareajhawk 10 years, 5 months ago

You know what bother me the most about the Pitino saga? The fact that it's national news.

Who cares? Pitino did nothing illegal. He shouldn't be fired, end of story. I don't condone cheating on your spouse, but that should be an issue for the two spouses to take care of, not the national sports media. I hate it that I even know the details of this sad, sordid story.

Matt Bowers 10 years, 5 months ago

I'm with bayareajhawk on this one. I really don't want to know about their personal lives either. The media used to have tact and not report these types of things. JFK is a great example of how the media used to show discretion. Maybe living our own lives isn't enough.

100 10 years, 5 months ago

Nice Point.

I guess the only thing he did illegal is have sex with a random woman he met at a restaurant.

Afterall, that's how a lot of good wholesome families get started in Kentucky sometimes (except the restaurant and abortion are a new twists, usually it's during a family reunion on the hill or at the Dental Clinic & the babies are the best part in Kentucky, because as the one-toothed Governor declared in 1865, "'cause someday your babies at home can meet each other on the hill, too, maybe with your sister's babies, and her babies can make your baby's babies & by God we can win this war!").

UK fans have to be:

1. Loving this embarrassing Louisville news.

or

1. Hating that the only coach UK has had that hadn't embarrassed them in the last 25 years besides Tubby Smith (and they hadn't fired or run out of town) has now... 100% completely embarrassed the only portion of the last 25 years of UK basketball's heritage that had any SEC championships or non-mediocre teams attached to it...

The national media can't even mention "the GREAT Pitino years" at Kentucky & how desperate UK fans were to get him back without bringing instant images to the viewers' minds of a desperate Kentucky coach grabbing a lady in a restaurant and taking her into the back room, a month later forking out of few thousand to cover her abortion. If the national audience has been out of the news for twenty years, I guess they are left only with an image of Pitino flipping off Roy Williams in 1989 @ Allen Fieldhouse on the way to a 140-95 beatdown, the worst in the history of UK basketball, aka "America's Winningness team" from 1930-1975 (almost all of Kentucky's victories in the last one hundred years, of course, coming during the reign of a two time national champion Jayhawk, we like to call, "Point Shaver" Rupp).

Rock Chalk, Kentucky fans -- I have complete faith that another Jayhawk, John Calipari, can save your program, just as Rupp did 79 years earlier (just make sure he doesn't get caught this time when he pays Wes Anderson to get the SAT scores changed -- let's be honest here -- the Rose & Dozier fiasco thankfully for you guys didn't happen while he was at Kentucky -- tell him to be careful -- the NCAA is keeping their eye on John Wall's bubble sheet pencil marks).

I have complete faith -- John Wall is a great player -- I know there's a way Calipari can get him on the court this year during competition -- Calipari will figure out a way!!!

ObiWan 10 years, 5 months ago

100- the final score was 150-95! Roy tried to ease up, but Pitino was acting like a jerk so Roy put the starters back in to run up the score. Pitino swore he'd never play Kansas again. Hilarious! Maybe he was mad because the bathrooms in Lawrence's restaurants weren't secluded enough :)

100 10 years, 5 months ago

I was at the game & that's amazing we scored that many -- I was thinking it was 140.

What I remember was our scrubs running through the full court trap (Pitino never called it off & not once the entire game did we get trapped).

The first half was keyed by Pritchard just dribbling like a bat outta hell through gaps.

The second half was pretty much all second team -- every single player on KU's team at least had 10 points.

Brandon Hull 10 years, 5 months ago

So....why bother crafting a carefully worded morals clause in the first place, if it's not used in cases like this, where your coach is derided by national writers and people throw your university's name around with jokes about morals? Pitino's actions have embarrassed himself and Louisville and created doubt in plenty of parents' minds as to whether he's a leader.

I mean, the man is 57 years old? Who does this at 57, married with five children? Seriously? I don't just mean "commit adultery," I mean how pathetic Pitino's actions were.

I think there are two storylines here: 1) the complete lack of class and poor role modeling by Pitino, and 2) the school president's instant backing of the coach a ridiculous 1,000,000%. Denny Crum, who gave the school, what?, 30 years as coach, got 0% backing towards the end...

bayareajhawk 10 years, 5 months ago

kustrong: I think we are in complete agreement. Like you, I wish the media still had tact. I just don't know if it's possible today with the pervasive influence of bloggers. The media isn't a closed shop anymore.

100: I appreciate your jingoism as it relates to KU sports, but I disagree with a couple of things you've said. Firstly, while having sex at a restaurant with a woman you've just met is likely immoral, it isn't illegal (unless you do it in front of other people, in which case it will be illegal whether your partner is a stranger or your wife). Secondly, how does this incident tarnish Pitino's career at UK? It wasn't a UK coach who encountered this woman at a restaurant. It was a Louisville coach. Pitino hasn't been the UK coach for 12 years. What does this have to do with that?

ObiWan: I didn't get the chance to see that game, but I have heard so many stories about it from friends and family. I was told that Roy didn't intentionally run up the score, but that Pitino wouldn't stop using a ineffective full-court press that led to countless easy Jayhawk layups. To this day, my uncle talks about that game as his favorite KU basketball game of all time -- and he's seen quite a few.

100 10 years, 5 months ago

BayareaJayhawk,

For an average Kentucky fan (not the kind that is laughing at Louisville), I'm talking a true blue fan, this Pitino admission takes on an entirely different meaning...

The ONLY portion of the last 25 years of basketball that Kentucky holds dear in their hearts is the Pitino years.

As for legality, I'm not sure Pitino having sex in a restaurant is a legal act -- if it's legal something seems a bit fishy to me about Kentucky, fishier than I originally suspected. She claims certainly it wasn't -- she claims she was raped.

Either way Pitino & the "glory days of Pitino Kentucky basketball" will now be extremely difficult to put in the mouths of a sportscaster without either laughing gas or a barfbag nearby.

waywardJay 10 years, 5 months ago

Perhaps, his punishment is ACTUALLY having this served up in front of his face. Because right now, he is pathetic butt of a joke until some other doofus comes around and takes the Dunce cap from him.

Joel Hood 10 years, 5 months ago

Moral clauses in big-time contracts are to be used at the discretion of the AD. If Louisville was unhappy with Pitino's job performance, they would have exercised the option in this sordid situation. But, top tier coaches are very hard to find and with Cal now just down the road, Pitino will have to do much worse than this to get kicked out.