Sunday, August 16, 2009

KU men’s basketball roster updated

Kansas University has updated its 2009-10 men’s basketball roster on the official kuathletics.com Web site.

The only returning player who has switched numbers is Tyshawn Taylor, who moves from No. 15 to No. 10. He said earlier this summer he was taking No. 10 so freshman Elijah Johnson could have his high school number of 15.

Newcomer Thomas Robinson will wear No. 0, Xavier Henry No. 1, Jeff Withey No. 5 and C.J. Henry No. 13.

0 — Thomas Robinson, 6-9, 230, Fr., F, Washington, D.C.

1 — Xavier Henry, 6-6, 220, Fr., G, Oklahoma City, Okla.

2 — Conner Teahan, 6-5, 215, Jr., G, Leawood.

4 — Sherron Collins, 5-11, 205, Sr., G, Chicago.

5 — Jeff Withey, 7-0, 225, Fr., C, San Diego.

10 — Tyshawn Taylor, 6-3, 180, Soph., G, Hoboken, N.J.

12 — Brady Morningstar, 6-3, 185, Jr., G, Lawrence.

13 — C.J. Henry, 6-4, 205, Fr., G, Oklahoma City.

14 — Tyrel Reed, 6-3, 185, Jr., G, Burlington.

15 — Elijah Johnson, 6-2, 183, Fr., G, Las Vegas.

21 — Markieff Morris, 6-9, 232, Soph., F, Philadelphia.

22 — Marcus Morris, 6-8, 225, Soph., F, Philadelphia.

23 — Mario Little, 6-5, 210, Sr., G, Chicago.

24 — Travis Releford, 6-5, 205, Soph., G, Kansas City, Mo.

40 — Jordan Juenemann, 6-4, 195, Soph., G, Hays.

41 — Chase Buford, 6-3, 210, Jr., G, San Antonio.

45 — Cole Aldrich, 6-11, 245, Jr., C, Bloomington, Minn.

Comments

rockchalkAZ 10 years, 5 months ago

anybody know the latest on this compton kid? is he gonna be a walk-on?

Marcia Parsons 10 years, 5 months ago

My understanding is that he was never expected to be a walk-on. He's working as a student assistant or something like that.

rockchalkjayhawk4ku11 10 years, 5 months ago

The Compton kid doesn't deserve to be a walk on, there are far better high school players than him. I'm sure his daddy had a lot to do with the situation...

Michael Auchard 10 years, 5 months ago

I wonder if this is the tallest team KU has ever fielded? And I'm not counting walk-ons or players who get little to no "real" minutes. We have five players 6'8" and taller that should all contribute major minutes next year. Then we have three players in the 6'6"-6'5" range. This team has "League" height.

LVDeserthawk 10 years, 5 months ago

Tyshawn giving up his number for a freshman. Wow. This guy is seriously a TEAM player. After seeing what he did for Team USA, leading the team to gold, the sky is the limit for his potential. He appears to be a product of stellar upbringing and coaching. Good for him and those that helped him develop these traits. I think there will be lots more nets to cut down in his future.

mae 10 years, 5 months ago

tyshawn is a true team leader. he's making a frosh feel welcome over a simple number that he doesn't need.

thank you T!

jaybate 10 years, 5 months ago

Sunday Pot Luck:

} This roster is sick, if that slang is still en vogue. Maybe Self should just have two starting teams--one plays the first half, the other plays the second half.

} Are the weights listed above current, i.e., after this off-season's weight lifting? I checked the roster link and there are a few changes noted. Travis is five heavier. Withey is listed at 7 feet even now, but no weight gain. And Cole has not added any weight either? The twins seem not to have changed. Could you clarify whether the weights given are current?

} Did CJ Henry grow an inch over the summer, or was he listed at 6'4" when he joined up? Verrrrrrrry interesting for a guy his age to grow an inch over the summer.

} Looking at the height on this roster, Sherron is going to be at serious risk for a neck injury from looking up at all of these tall guys!

Dirk Medema 10 years, 5 months ago

jaybate:

2. I was thinking the same thing about the weights listed, since there has been so much talk about the off-season lifting. What might be a facade in some of these cases is the change in composition. Hopefully, the difference will be more noticable in pix vs Ht/Wt.

3. I seem to recall CJ Henry always being listed at 6'4", or at least in the last year. The extra 20# of muscle is one reason I think he'll be a force on the team, especially by the end of the year.

4. Sherron is use to playing in the trees. Not really any different than it's ever been, except maybe a bit denser. It's all the nicer having more of those trees clearing lanes to the hoop.

jayhawkintexas 10 years, 5 months ago

I would like to see basketball--ALL of basketball--ban the numbers "0" and "00" and no numbers higher than "55". I also think the basketball gods should require that guards wear numbers between 1 and 20, forwards wear numbers from 21 to 40 and centers wear numbers from 41 to 55. I know some players have worn "0" or "00"--including KU players--but I think they should be prohibited just because...I don't like them.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 5 months ago

jayhawkintexas:

I find more of a problem with those who choose or request the number 1. Is it just me, or does that request seem a little conceited?

0 and 00 should be revered as in roulette.

jaybate 10 years, 5 months ago

jayhawkintexas and memhawk,

0 and 00 annoy me, but I revere them.

Yes, I am running for congress and I want both your votes. :-)

I, also, would like to see KU add the following numbers for players to wear:

10^100 (a googol)

10^googol (a googolplex)

Graham's Number (lot's bigger than a googolplex)

And there is one even bigger than Graham's that some kid who's father was a mathematician at UCSB told me, but I forget it now.

Why do I want to see these numbers added?

Because no referee will want to call a foul on a player wearing these numbers. It will be too difficult to do the exponents with fingers. :-)

Therefore, we will get away with murder on defense!

jaybate 10 years, 5 months ago

The Urban Dictionary confirms you on sik. Thanks for the heads up.

KGphoto 10 years, 5 months ago

How about negative numbers? Starting with -0.

Jonathan Andrews 10 years, 5 months ago

"1. The word you seem referring to I've seen spelled without a "c", as in sik, but then what's the "proper" of slang."

dagger108, you may not know it, but the habit of removing c's in slang words (like "sik") is related to the Blood gang. It's in reference to their disrespect for Crips. Any word that is normally spelled with a C is changed to a K (like "kash"), and any word that has both consecutively (like "sick") has the C removed.

Joe Baker 10 years, 5 months ago

Finally...I wondered when the roster would be updated.

KGphoto (anonymous) says... Don't F with Mr. Zero!

Don't let the zero fool you when you're in Mr Robinson's Neighborhood!! The Phog is his neighborhood and we are his neighbors.

I stand amazed in his Summer accomplishments in such a short amount of time. I can't wait!

bgthemanofsteel 10 years, 5 months ago

Yahweh - I think the 97 had a couple of 7 footers on it if I remember right. Their nickname was "Jacque and the Beanstalks."

jaybate 10 years, 5 months ago

crooner,

Oh, now we're really going to get the board rats upset...talking about derivations of words. Shame on you. Next thing you know, we are going to get into linguistics and semiotics. Intellectualizing is a slippery slope. Kill the linguists. Kill the semioticians. Kill them! Kill them all now, before they corrupt the board!!! :-)

jaybate 10 years, 5 months ago

bgthemanofsteel,

Fortunately, I don't think this year's bigs are going to be bean stalks. More like Sherron and the Sequoias.

Joe Baker 10 years, 5 months ago

d_prowess (anonymous) says... Don't forget to vote for our boys! http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/rank?...

How does Wall even get the nomination for POY? Wall hasn't even played an NCAA game and he's a POY nominee? LOL

tis4tim 10 years, 5 months ago

jaybate,

So, if I want to comment on your post about the slang usage of the word "sick" must I write sik (sic)?

Beverly42_1997 10 years, 5 months ago

Where is Chase Buford? Not on the roster.

chicagoeddie 10 years, 5 months ago

too bad we can only play 5 at a time... =D

Michael Auchard 10 years, 5 months ago

bgthemanofsteel,

How have I never heard of that nickname? That's awesome!

Tony Bandle 10 years, 5 months ago

Jersey Number oddities:

Norm Cook wore 00 because of his name.

In 1970, the KU kicker on the football team wore 100. This was in recognition of something I can't remember. Maybe it was 100 years of the NCAA screwing up amateur sports?

If they required coaches to wear uniforms, Coach Mangino could wear 1000...and still have room for a couple of decimal places!!

The classic case is Eddie Gaedel, the midget who batted for the St.Louis Browns. His number was 1/2 and was told by Bill Veeck, the Browns owner, that if he swung the bat, there was a sniper on the grandstand roof that would shoot him. He didn't swing and walked on four pitches.

If you get a chance, read James Thurber's " You Could Look It Uo". Tremendous commentary on sports and life!!!

Tony Bandle 10 years, 5 months ago

Sorry...that's Up not Uo, but it is really a clever story.

10 years, 5 months ago

OakvilleJHawk ~

Another interesting tidbit is the 1929 Yankees were the first sports organization to put numbers on their jerseys. They did it to simply indicate who batted where in the batting order.

mjlindsm 10 years, 5 months ago

They allow 3 digit uniform numbers in college football? I don't think that would fly these days; sports sites' computer systems wouldn't expect it. It'd be like the Y2K bug, only real because of unexpectedness.

Steve Day 10 years, 5 months ago

17 players. thats a pretty full roster, but I cant think of anyone to delete. Rock Chalk