Originally published August 13, 2009 at 02:40p.m., updated August 14, 2009 at 12:00a.m.

Henrickson signs three-year extension

Kansas head coach Bonnie Henrickson hugs Katie Smith after defeating New Mexico 78-69 in the WNIT basketball game on Monday, March 30, 2009 in Rio Rancho, N.M. Henrickson signed a three-year extension with KU on Thursday.

Bonnie-ball at KU

Bonnie Henrickson’s year-by-year record at Kansas:

2008-09: 22-14 (6-10 in Big 12, WNIT Finals)

2007-08: 17-16 (4-12, WNIT second round)

2006-07: 11-20 (4-12)

2005-06: 17-13 (5-11, WNIT second round)

2004-05: 12-16 (5-11)

Totals: 79-79 (24-56)

Henrickson signs contract extension

Kansas University women's basketball coach Bonnie Henrickson signed a three-year contract extension. The extension ensures the position through the 2013-2014 season.

Bonnie Henrickson has signed on for three more years as women’s basketball coach at Kansas University.

“This is a great time to be at KU,” Henrickson said Thursday after netting an extension that will keep her in Lawrence through the 2013-14 season.

“Between the beautiful new facilities we have and the talent on this year’s team, I’m as excited about the future as I’ve ever been,” added Henrickson, who returns four starters from last year’s 22-14 team, including senior All-America candidate Danielle McCray.

Also on hand for Henrickson’s sixth season will be highly acclaimed freshman point guard Angel Goodrich, who missed the 2008-09 campaign because of a torn ACL.

“The kids on the team have been coming up and saying, ‘Coach, people everywhere are talking about the season.’ That’s a good thing,” Henrickson said. “Our last game was a sellout (in finals of WNIT). The next time we’ll be in the fieldhouse it’ll be full for Late Night.”

It’s an exciting time professionally for the former Virginia Tech coach, whose compensation remains the same. She will continue to be paid $485,000 annually with a retention agreement of $150,000, making the total compensation package $635,000 per annum.

Last year’s success — KU lost to South Florida in the finals of the WNIT in a season in which the Jayhawks also downed No. 5 Baylor — as well as promise for this year has caught the attention of recruits.

Henrickson has already received three commitments from high school players in the Class of 2010.

“It’s a great vote of confidence from (athletic director) Lew Perkins which speaks volumes in recruiting,” Henrickson said. “This gets me out to five (more seasons at KU).

“Families do their homework and are interested in my tenure. Kids want to know. I can say to them, ‘If you don’t like me, don’t come. I’m not going anywhere.’ I’m thrilled to have the tenure and ability to move forward.”

She has more than her own job security to use in recruiting.

There’s a new women’s locker room in a renovated Allen Fieldhouse, and a new practice facility that the men and women will both use. Horejsi Center and the fieldhouse courts will also remain available, meaning court-time conflicts should be rare.

“For kids in the last class and the one we are working on now, those are the ones who got to see the facility DVD and artist renderings,” Henrickson said. “I don’t know how many times I watched the DVD and laid out (rendering) boards (in homes of recruits). It makes a huge difference.

“We’ve talked a lot about it. It’s nice to see it come to fruition. We’ve been down in Texas so much (recruiting). They have nice facilities in Texas. This matters to kids and coaches.”

Perkins, who hired Henrickson to replace Marian Washington six years ago, issued a statement on the extension.

“We are excited about what the future holds and very pleased that Bonnie will be the coach to lead us into that future,” Perkins said. “She has done an excellent job building our women's basketball program to a high level in what is perhaps the most difficult conference in the country.”

Henrickson has high hopes for the 2009-10 season.

“No one is more excited than I am about the program. Nobody has more expectations than I do,” said Henrickson, who is 79-79 at KU after compiling a 158-62 record at Virginia Tech in seven seasons. “Losing is not fun. We came here to win and make a difference in kids’ lives. I think we’ve done that and think we’re turning the corner (on the court).”

Goodrich update

Henrickson said Goodrich, a 5-4 playmaker from Tahlequah, Okla., continues to play in pick-up games as she recovers from ACL surgery. She tore her ACL in the left knee in the second practice of her rookie season.

“She is running, jumping, played pick-up all summer,” Henrickson said. “The kids tell me she looks good playing pick-up.”

Comments

Waylon Cook 10 years, 5 months ago

just like Mangino shes about to bust out! Some may wonder why we extended her contract but then again we did Mangino before the OB year;)

Patience!

Joe Ross 10 years, 5 months ago

give someone with the right dedication enough time and they will make it. the key is that Perkins stuck with Mangino and Henrickson. It takes time to build a program and make it stable. Great things have been happening in Mens FB and Womens BB.

Rock Chalk.

Shes worth it. Moving on...

Aligned 10 years, 5 months ago

Uh, she's 24 & 56 in conference play over the past five years. Her best year (last year) was 6 & 10. Let's keep it real. And, am I reading that right? $485,000 plus another $150,000 per year?

MinnesotaJay 10 years, 5 months ago

Glad to see it. Keep building the program, Bonnie.

Waylon Cook 10 years, 5 months ago

Hey Aligned or "misaligned" go check how good Mangino was....... patience!

Joe Ross 10 years, 5 months ago

thank you onlyone...you beat me to it!

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 5 months ago

I think a lot of it has to do with the nice run in the WNIT. She's starting to get some higher quality recruits to look at KU too.

frompekka2sasha 10 years, 5 months ago

I have trouble with this contract but I must trust Lew in this situation. He doesn't make many dumb decisions so I have to believe that Bonnie-ball is getting ready to turn into something soon.

jhawk23 10 years, 5 months ago

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to compare Henrickson to Bill Self? Both are basketball coaches. Both replaced long-tenured, successful coaches.

To say the least, she hasn't quite jumped out to the successful start we would have liked from the women's program, too.

Aligned 10 years, 5 months ago

I really don’t keep up with women’s basketball recruiting, so I took a moment to check out ESPN’s ‘Top 60 2009 Women’s Recruiting Classes’ list. It turns out there are a total of nine Big 12 teams on that list of sixty (impressive), including Baylor in the number one slot (very impressive). Unfortunately, however, KU is not one of the nine listed.

I do hope that Bonnie does very well at KU and I’ll be pulling for her and the team.

Brandon Snook 10 years, 5 months ago

People need to remember how abysmal the women's program was when Coach Henrickson took the helm. No offense to Coaches Washington or Woodard, but it was at it's lowest ever point for sure.

BTW, any word on a banner commemorating the WNIT Runners-Up?

sevenyearhawk 10 years, 5 months ago

How awful was the program that Coach Bonnie inherited?

0-16 folks ... ZERO and sixteen in conference!

There's absolutely no comparison to Coach Self what-so-ever.

kugrad93 10 years, 5 months ago

I'm still not sure about Bonnie, but the comparison to Self isn't fair. Self inherited a Final Four team with several key players returning. Bonnie inherited a complete mess.

A banner for the WNIT? Nooooooooooooooooooooo. That was a nice run last year, but that program needs to strive for something better in the future. Sixty-sixth-best program in the country -- and that's what a WNIT runner-up amounts to -- is not where the bar should be set. Do you want recruits to think that's what KU hangs its hat on?

I remember talking to a recruit that visited KU after one of Marian's teams reached the Sweet 16, and she was turned off by how giddy they were about making it that far. She went elsewhere and played in a Final Four.

Joe Ross 10 years, 5 months ago

Reason prevails in the last two posts. Thank you. A Bonnie-to-Bill comparison is rubbish. Their situations were absolutely different. Not only were the teams they took over of completely different caliber, but its easy to sell KU mens BB. The women have only occasionally stood out. Not the same at ALL! Good Lord!

Joe Ross 10 years, 5 months ago

as far as recruiting, its easy to sit back and say "JUST GET THE RECRUITS, BONNIE". Its not just the coach that gets them here. Its reputation. It program success. Its crowd size. Its location. Its many other things that bear on the free will of players to choose where they go. Coach Self hasnt gotten all the ones he wanted either, but the men have an excellent tradition here and we place a lot of players in the pros. Recruits look at those things! I have faith that Bonnie is the right woman for the job.

Aligned 10 years, 5 months ago

Most programs face recruiting challenges. I wouldn’t think it would be harder to recruit to KU than Baylor though.

10 years, 5 months ago

FYI - Baylor has a recent (2005) National Championship to show potential recruits.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 5 months ago

I have four nieces who love the "KU JAYBABES', so I am rooting for Bonnie and the players. Quite honestly, the last five years or so of Marion's tenure were a true disaster. Whether it was her declining health or it was just past the time she should have bowed out, Bonnie has had to start from way behind the starting line.

I truly think that last season's team would have blown away everyone's socks off with even better results if Angel hadn't got hurt.....think Sherron Collins and you'll begin to get a feel for what Angel will mean to this year's team....... if she is recovered from her injury, I totally feel that the LADYHAWKS will do a lot of damage.

sevenyearhawk 10 years, 5 months ago

Mark my words ...

when Aishah Sutherland finally dunks - it's gonna blow the roof off the place and the program!

KGphoto 10 years, 5 months ago

dynomite: Did she just tap Lew for 3 years? :D

I have to admit I threw-up in my mouth a little when I read $635k.

Dats a lotta lettuce!!

However, by the time I got to the bottom of this post. I realized that I've never read this many comments about a women's basketball story, ever. Not in the off-season.

So Bonnie, go ahead and keep buying those expensive pant-suits. I do believe you're beginning to earn that (gulp) 635. But don't stop now, because after reading (cough) 635, anything shy of a win in the dance is gonna be hard to swallow.

phogthedog 10 years, 5 months ago

Wow, KGphoto. Sounds like sour grapes to me (i.e., "expensive pantsuits."). Did you want her to wear sweats from Target? She's representing KU. During the first portion of Mangino's tenure, the team came over to the sidelines after every game (win or lose) to shake hands with the fans. The true fans saw the discipline and the mentality that he was building with the football team and remained patient. I will admit to some frustration with Coach Henrikson early last season with her limited use of Sutherland. However, players need to be students first, conform to team rules, and listen to the coaches in order to deserve increased playing time. I believe that Coach made her point with Sutherland and we will continue to see her get increased playing time. Instead of complaining, let's focus on getting the stands filled. As with any team, the Lady Jayhawks thrived when there were more than a couple thousand fans in Allen Fieldhouse. Congratulations to Coach Henrickson and let's have a great year!

sevenyearhawk 10 years, 5 months ago

You should see her ride ...

at least a few years ago, I'm pretty sure it was a black Escalade, but I might be mistaken.

KEITHMILES05 10 years, 5 months ago

The last game of the finals was horrendous to watch. BH coaching was at the highest level of bad, bad, bad!

Hopefully she'll have learned something this summer.

truefan 10 years, 5 months ago

The coaching was fine, but the Lady Jays were missing the most important peice...the point guard. No disrespect, but the point guard from last year could not shoot and therefore was not a threat. This year they will have Goodrich taking the point and keeping defenders on their toes.

To repeat an earlier post, I have never seen this many posts on a women's basketball article which means Bonnie is making big strides with this program. It's just like when we hired Mangino and me and a few other faithful fans were posting on the football articles. We knew something special was coming when all the bandwagon fans joined in. Get ready for a great year for the Women's Basketball program. It will be a turning point.

Waylon Cook 10 years, 5 months ago

Ya and please comparing Bonnie and Bill? Bill who in his own right is something special inherited a tradition rich program fresh off two Finals Fours............Mangino and Bonnie inherited a team with D2 like players(at best) with little tradition and in conferences with BIG DOGS. Both were being beat down by KSU for instate recruits and even national media(ya I know now thats sick..........). But with Football taking back the state and about to take back the North times have changed. Much like FB the South is stronger in bball and CU who was long a power in WBB is down, KSU will be down, NU is a pretty solid average program(but Bonnie had bigger ideas than the NCAA folks.....I think Connie Yori is glad they got there), ISU is solid and an Elite 8 team last year(we went 1-1 against them), MU is a very young but soildly coached team. But KU has Danielle McCray and the girl you'll all love to watch Angel Goodrich! A solid recruiting class, a hard working Sutherland and great senior leaders and watch out folks. WATCH OUT!

As far as out recruting Baylor-well Kim Mulkey is one hell of a coach, great new facilities, Leon Barmore is her assistant.....ya the La Tech great is her assistant, a talent rich state and a National Title to boot. But still got beat like a drum in Lawrence last year......

Patience;)

Aligned 10 years, 5 months ago

According to ESPN, KU was out-recruited by eight additional Big-12 teams besides Baylor. What Bonnie does in the future remains to be seen, but it doesn't appear that she's recruiting very well or winning very often so far.

Waylon Cook 10 years, 5 months ago

hey Misaligned you do realize that rankings of people in high school matter very little? Do you think that McCray was a top ten recruit? Since you are very misinformed I'll let you in on a secret...........She wasn't. And its obvious after being the 2nd leading scorer on a USA national team full of talent that she was misranked. You think?

Again read my last paragraph of my previous post-Baylor has had better recruiting classes than us for more than a few years didn't seem to matter did it? Also Bonnie is one of the newest coaches in the Big 12 so give her time to get it done.

Do you not realize that it takes a little bit of time to fix the mistakes Marian made? Considering the fact that the previous coach at KU didn't recruit Jackie Stiles, Kendra Wecker, Laurie Koehn or a boatload of other Kansas talent? How do you think that made KU look to HS coaches in Kansas and hell nationally? Stiles has all but made it public that she wanted to be a Jayhawk.

But I guess according to your logic Bonnie should have arrived in Lawrence and got us to the Final Four her first season? Ya thats how it should work huh? Why don't you stay of the WBB subject that you seem to know little about and go support National Healthcare sounds like you think that will work too..................

Aligned 10 years, 5 months ago

Why don't you take a 3rd grade English lesson.

Ross Hartley 10 years, 5 months ago

Aligned: I look for that info about recruiting on ESPN and could not find it. However, on their recruiting site it shows that this years class is better rated than K-State and is quite a bit below the rating of Baylor and OU. The 2010 class already has two PG that are rated in the 90's and is much better than the commits to KSU. We can not compete with Baylor and OU at this time but the other well known Big 12 program at KSU is getting close to our measure. This is considerable improvement.

Waylon Cook 10 years, 5 months ago

LMAO thats what you come back with? Thats it? Nothing to argue what I said?

Aligned 10 years, 5 months ago

I have no intention of debating the issue with you. In spite of keeping my comments confined to facts, and not opinion, you have persisted with badgering and launching personal attacks against me.

Opinion: Lavishing any coach who has yet to win more than six games in conference play with a recurring $150,000 retention bonus, on top of an extremely generous $485,000 base salary, is unseemly at best.

Waylon Cook 10 years, 5 months ago

LOL yep I'm just one of those angry "mobsters"