Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Keegan

Reesing positive leader

These days our TV screens are crowded with economists and politicians, pundits and professors opining on how our economy got so bogged down, yet no one ever addresses the root of the problem: corporate climbers.

They care not a lick about the companies that pay them. They care only about covering their behinds. If that means shining apples half the day and throwing people under the bus for the other four hours, so be it. That doesn’t leave any time for actually producing anything, but that’s not a problem. They care only about the perception they have value. This is what passes for leadership in the corporate world.

And then there is the Kansas University football practice field, where a true leader knows the secret to maximizing production is passion. Enjoy your job, others around you will do the same, and before you know it, you’re achieving things nobody could have believed possible.

Todd Reesing has used that winning formula to produce a 20-6 record as the starting quarterback at Kansas. The man oozes positive vibes. Thanks in part to Reesing, every Kansas football player feels better about himself, which fosters learning because there is no better pupil than a confident one. He’s not worried about perceptions. He’s good, he knows it, he’s eager to show it.

“I’m very pleased with the way things are going,” Reesing said from his chair at the final KU football Media Day of his career. “I talked to the team the other day and said I think it’s the best four practices to start camp since I’ve been here. We’re making a lot of progress. Guys are flying around, and the enthusiasm is the thing that’s the most exciting. Guys are having fun and competing and playing hard.”

You have to love that a leader in such a high-profile position is unapologetic about having fun in his work place. An insecure mind never could admit to such a thing because to insecure folks having fun and working hard are considered mutually exclusive. Reesing proves otherwise.

“When guys are having fun, it’s easy to work hard,” Reesing said. “When everyone’s dead and kind of dragging around the field and not positive, it’s hard to go out there and work hard.”

A positive approach to work so beats putting on a phony, somber facade. He gets that, which is pretty impressive for a man of 21.

“College football is supposed to be fun,” Reesing said. “It’s not supposed to be a chore. It’s a privilege. We’re privileged to be able to play college football and to play at the University of Kansas. And that’s the way I feel. I love practicing and competing. There is nothing I’d rather be doing. As captain and a quarterback and a leader on this team, I have to be out there having fun, showing enthusiasm and being positive. When guys are dragging, the first person they are going to look to is, ‘What’s Todd doing?’ If I’m over there yelling, clapping, having fun, it’s a lot more likely those guys are doing the same. Enthusiasm is contagious.”

Positive, confident leaders in the mold of Reesing are the sorts who will lead our country back to productive times, leaving corporate climbers yearning for the days they were paid to fool their bosses at the expense of their companies.

Comments

JHWKNMIZRY 10 years, 5 months ago

Hey Keegan,

Please don't leave out politicians throwing us under the bus--------------------and please make sure you accurately report it when they do. I hate to find out by the " tire tracks all across (my) back".

Oh yeah, I almost forgot what the article was supposed to be about. Go Todd, baby and Go Hawks! You're better than reported.

OCJHAWK 10 years, 5 months ago

Todd Reesing is the definition of a leader, from what I can observe. I am proud to call him the leader of my favorite sports team.

Obviously Tom must think he doesn't work for a Capitalist newspaper. No wonder the print industry is so strong these days with "leaders " like Keegan working there. To paint every corporate executive in the way Tom does shows the shallowness of his thinking.

KGphoto 10 years, 5 months ago

Maybe a bit of a stretch there Keeg Party. Good article right up to that last paragraph. Ya think Reesing is gonna go out there into Corporate America and start dancing around, clapping, hoot'n hollerin' and slappin asses and then we'll stop shipping jobs overseas? Hahaha. OMG!

I can see Todd huddling up with the Rockefellers. "Okay guys, we need to turn this thing around. Now give some of your money and power back to the people. On two, on two. Ready... break!"

Kent Wells 10 years, 5 months ago

Actually readers, I like this one. I've been "fortunate" to be a part of corporate America since 1983. I can tell y'all one thing, I would rather work in/for/with a company with a corporate mindset of Reesing vs. one of the mindset of Madoff/Kenneth Lay/and a slew of weasels that are only interested in shameless self promotion that I have had the "pleasure" to work with over these years. Perhaps this is why I have my own business now and the only PITA I have to put up with is myself and my gigantic mood swings.

I guarentee you one thing, you want to be on a team with Reesing vs. on a team with a bunch of in it for themselves jerks. This is why KU has been so successful with Todd as their leader.

And as far as seeing Todd and the Rockefellers, they don't deserve him, but they would be even richer if they listened to them.

Rock Chalk

Dirk Medema 10 years, 5 months ago

kuwells - "I've been "fortunate" to be a part of corporate America since 1983. I can tell y'all one thing, I would rather work in/for/with a company with a corporate mindset of Reesing."

Good word indeed, though Keegan's simplified economic analysis seemed a bit of a stretch. Try this simplifed "prophecy":

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life."

Theodore Roosevelt

Hmmm.

John Boyle 10 years, 5 months ago

Corporate America, Bad! Socialistic Wealth Sharing, Good! Give me a break!! Hard work and intelligence should be rewarded. Please stick to Football in your articles Keeg.

Oh, I do like Reesing and his leadership skills. He does a great job of being a leader by example. He would be an easy guy to follow into battle.

Rick Arnoldy 10 years, 5 months ago

I don't think he's saying that at all, JayhawkJohn. I've been in the corporate world for quite a while and I think he nailed it on the ladder climbers. There are plenty of empty suits in the business world. I heard it years ago that the trick is to keep moving and stay two years ahead of your mistakes.

Patrick Leiker 10 years, 5 months ago

Thanks Keegan!

I can only assume you are talking about the corporate interworkings of the LJW when talking about these 'corporate climbers' who 'care not a lick about the companies that pay them'.

As an employee in corporate america I find your generalizations hard to stomach.

Next time try sticking to a topic you know something about...like sports...or selling used cars.

hawk316 10 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for another good article, Mr. Keegan. And you're exactly right. Todd's kind of leadership is infectious and can make a huge difference in any company or corporate organization. Someone once said, "nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm," so I appreciate Todd exuding so much of it. You gotta love his comment,

"We're privileged to be able to play college football and to play at the University of Kansas."

Todd, here's hoping that your senior year at KU is the proverbial "cherry on top."

gardenjay 10 years, 5 months ago

kuwells speaks clearly - the lack of Todds drives a lot of us into business for ourselves. Well put.

Kent Wells 10 years, 5 months ago

JayhawkJohn,

"Hard work and intelligence should be rewarded"

I agree totally. Unfortunately, it is my experience that whoever sucks the most ass in the corporate world are the ones that get ahead. Keep an eye on those sneaky turds that are always taking credit for someone elses ideas. The ones that don't have a molecule of creativity in their bodies and have to live vicariously through their coworkers.

Hard work only leads to more hard work. Intelligence is a threat to most bosses. If you are smarter than your boss, your about to be tee'd up. Never let it on that you have smarts. I feel like a guest lecturer in Business 101 here! I feel better. Whew. Apparently I have some issues with former bosses.

Finally, a little humor.

What is the difference between a butt kisser and a brown noser???

Depth perception!!!

JHWKNMIZRY 10 years, 5 months ago

kuwells-------------Your answer is --only the part of the face which turns brown when you disengage.

KGphoto 10 years, 5 months ago

kuwells,

That last comment makes a lot more sense than your Rockefeller comment.

The Rockefellers are rich because they are brilliant bankers, but also because they are lying, cheating, sadistic son's of bitches. And if you think they would be richer for having Reesing, you don't think much of Reesing.

Reesing may do well in Corporate America, but his assets more conventionally translate into politics. His leadership is the value we are speaking of. Now don't tell Keeg party, but real leadership means absolutely nothing in the corporate world. Like you said so delicately, it's about "sucking the most ass".

Reesing for Mayor!

Kent Wells 10 years, 5 months ago

Can you imagine his campaign slogan???

Reesing for Mayor!  I don't suck ass!

I do think there are places for Reesing types in the corporate world still, I just think the dynamic of big business allow the ass suckers climb higher. Reesing would level off at the middle management level and scare the hell out of everyone else above him. So, perhaps you are right. Although I don't see why he should settle for Mayor...

And I didn't realize I was being delicate... :)

rkatzfey 10 years, 5 months ago

It looks like most of you missed the point of the article. It is about KU Football and Todd Reesing! The rest of the stuff is Tom Keegan's sense of humor. Lighten up!

Kent Wells 10 years, 5 months ago

OK, if anyone wants a good laugh today... Take a second (or hour) to read the very short story at:

And the 100 subsequent posts. Now you all know what I do in my spare time...

djgratt59 10 years, 5 months ago

I think the Rockefeller is rich because of BBLs..