Monday, August 10, 2009

Tuesday’s open KU football practice canceled

KU football is prepping to meet the media Tuesday afternoon.

The Kansas University football team's Tuesday morning open practice at Memorial Stadium has been canceled due to the unavailability of Kivisto Field, the school announced Monday.

The field, which is in the process of being resurfaced, will not be ready by Tuesday. The university did not indicate whether the open practice will be rescheduled.

The next practice open to the public is scheduled for Aug. 26.

Comments

Tim Quest 10 years, 5 months ago

waywardJay 10 years, 5 months ago

SOunds like a ploy..... I think Mark's unhappy with their progress....

Ryan Wood 10 years, 5 months ago

"If only they had another space somewhere else they could use for practice. A practice field, even. "

Hilarious. Maybe Lew should start fundraising to get one or two practice fields adjacent to Memorial Stadium which feature cutting-edge synthetic turf, enough parking for the 100 fans that will show up, and located close to the $30 million football headquarters. Such an idea would be great.

Maybe I'm thinking too unrealistically here.

10 years, 5 months ago

HowMuchRice ~

I think you have a good idea in principle, however I would sure hate to lose any prime parking spaces or tailgating areas. I would also be concerned about uninvited guests spying on our practices unless there was some type of tall barrier to block their view.

I threw something together real quick to get a better idea of what you were envisioning. Is this kind of what you had in mind?

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 5 months ago

in the infamous words of Allen Iverson...."we're talkin about practice man....practice!"

who the heck cares?

gardenjay 10 years, 5 months ago

If they need more time to create this plastic field, then get it right, make it look real. It may help to install plastic artificial sprinklers to simulate a real field, and as in an earlier post, you could install at least some astro crab grass.

frompekka2sasha 10 years, 5 months ago

Holy cow! I just saw something about the possibility of new practice fields and a state of the art facility near Kivisto Field. Low and behold I was walking around there this afternoon and it's already built. Mangino was even scribbling on the chalkboard so they may want to darken the tint a little more. I swear he was drawing up the "trickery" that we're gonna open up on Oklahoma this year!!

All kidding aside... I walked around the area today and it nearly brought me to tears. I still find it difficult to comprehend how 1st class the practice fields are and the gates are prettty damn cool. I think we should all start calling him Uncle Lew for pulling off the inconceivable. The turf was in packaged rolls and there looked to be about a truckload of them so it's not surprising that they won't be ready.

Why not just hold court on the practice fields?

Nick Adams 10 years, 5 months ago

Seriously people? They have been using the practice fields but "open" practice mean you need a place for people to sit.

Ryan Wood 10 years, 5 months ago

No you don't. They have had many open practices on the bad practice field by Horejsi Center. People stood and watched. And I don't think their presence prevented KU from beating Texas.