Monday, August 10, 2009

Calif. prep Turner to visit Late Night

Josiah Turner, the No. 55-rated player in the basketball recruiting Class of 2011 tells Rivals.com he will be making an unofficial visit to Kansas University for the Oct. 16 Late Night in the Phog. Turner, a 6-foot-3 junior shooting guard from Sacramento (Calif.) High School withdrew a commitment to Arizona State in July. He does not yet have a new list of schools.

Comments

Dirk Medema 10 years, 9 months ago

It's always good to get kids to Late Night. As if Bill, Danny, ..., need much extra help.

RockChalkGuy 10 years, 9 months ago

Ok, so I've never actually attended Late Night in the Phog but am seriously considering it this year. Does anyone have any hints about the event? I have to drive about an hour to get there, so I'd hate to arrive to a packed house and get turned away. Does this usually happen? Thanks.

BTW, gents like Josiah Turner also form the building blocks for championship-caliber teams. You don't have to have the recruits ranked 1-5 to get it done. Good Luck HCBS. You're a genius on and off the hardwood, so I'm sure you'll make the right decision on this kid.

sugarlandhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Henry always attented Late Nite and Withey attented his junior year. Johnson was a visitor at Late Nite last fall. I think Robinson was the only member of the new class not to have attended Late Nite.

pmohr13 10 years, 9 months ago

there are always open seats at the top of the bleachers at late night. this year might be different considering the hype. i would suggest sowing up a little early and bringing something to do while waiting in line. Well worth it.

Eliott Reeder 10 years, 9 months ago

I think Late Night will be ridiculously packed this year. I am planning on showing up early for the first time. Last Year I got there 15 minutes late and there were still plenty of seats up top. People spread out a lot since seat numbers are irrelevant. You should always be able to squeeze in no matter what time you get there...

Joel Hood 10 years, 9 months ago

There have been occasions when Late Night turned away people at the door. But, in the last few years, Late Night occured during the Fall break and there were fewer students on campus, so seats were available. To be safe, I'd get there well before 7:00 to make sure you get in. Waiting in line at AFH never bothered me - sort of a priviledge.

JayJayPG 10 years, 9 months ago

I go every year. It's definately worth going just go see the highlight videos IMHO. It's also great to show support for the visiting recruits and the pre-scrimmage entertainment actually seems to get better and better every year.

kmarti49 10 years, 9 months ago

well...i guess this throw Arizona St chance at getting him out the window...He was our first commit, for 2011, everyone was real excited, and really hoped he would hold his commit..but as an ASU student who has been to Late Night twice, after going and seeing the fan support and tradition and success at KU, i dont see anyways he comes back to ASU...but im stoked at the prospect of KU getting one of the projected top guards on the West coast in the 2011 class

1320ft 10 years, 9 months ago

I've never been as well...... Is there an admission charge? Is it worth a 3 hour drive?

truefan 10 years, 9 months ago

1320ft...yes it is worth the drive, and no there is no charge...unless you pay for parking. If you get there early enough and park on a side street just off campus you shouldn't have to pay for parking.

Kmarti49...do you happen to know why he withdrew his commitment? Sometimes there are other reasons that aren't written about right away like academics or possible coaching change. I don't really know why he left ASU really, you have an up and coming program that is getting more dangerous every year. On that note, we would love to have him here, I just hope there isn't an untold story behind his decommitment.

kmarti49 10 years, 9 months ago

well he commited last year as a freshman, so my guess is that he reliazed that he would prolly get some bigger offers. But but we were super excited and thought he would stick..he got his buddy, C Kyle Cauduill to commit, and he is projected as the number 1 or 2 center out west, so there was alot of excitement with what Herb Sendek is doing here. And there def is no coachin chnage in the future.. Sendek just signed an extention through 2014, and theres like a 700k bguyout if he were to leave...so who knows maybe he just wanted to explore his options, and could end back here, but who knows...either way i hope he ends up at ASU or KU in the end..

Chris Shaw 10 years, 9 months ago

kmarti: I am not an ASU fan, but I am a fan of Herb Sendeck. Anytime his name comes up, I always have to throw some props his way. I always find it funny that NC State and it's boosters thought Herb Sendeck wasn't good enough. The torture he and his family went through while he was the coach at NC State was terrible. I'm not exactly sure what NC State was looking for (6 NCAA tournaments in his first 7 years), but they treated him like crap. I know the Princeton offense is a little unorthodox, but when you get the right people into the system it is a very highly effective offense for the college game. The NC State people thought it was too slow and boring for the "ACC Style" of play. LOL! I guess Herb is proving his critics wrong at ASU and getting top recruits no matter the setback and backlash from NC State.

GeoHawk15 10 years, 9 months ago

Regarding the questions about Late Night, it's free, it's general admission, and the last several years it has been held over Fall Break. That would make it Saturday, October 17 this year. I can't think of anything more exciting than seeing this stacked team scrimmage. If I weren't going to the KU-CU football game in Boulder, I would definitely travel back to Lawrence for the festivities.

Lance Hobson 10 years, 9 months ago

The last time I went was when Paul Pierce was playing and it was incredible. Definitely make it if you can.

kfcwar 10 years, 9 months ago

I've gone to every Late Night since my Freshman year at KU (2002). Me and about 5 or 6 other friends have always arrived to line up around noon. We always grab a seat in the first 2 - 3 rows behind press row. Back when we played Florida in Vegas, I was even lucky enough to get chosen to compete on-court to win a trip for 2 out to Vegas for the game. UNBELIEVABLE!

It's a TON of fun. Some people might find the Womens' scrimmage and skits a bit tedious, but you'll find the Mens' skits and scrimmage to be well worth it. Plus it's the only time most people will ever get to experience Allen Fieldhouse without dropping hundreds of dollars.

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

kushaw,

Excellent point about Herb vs. NCState.